PDA

View Full Version : DT Questionnaire *Spoilers*

Pages : [1] 2

Lisey Landon
10-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Long days and pleasant nights, gamers!

1. Favourite protagonist of the series and why.
2. Favourite antagonist and why.
3. Favourite original ka-tet member.
4. Favourite creature/beast/hybrid.
5. Favourite place, from all worlds/levels of the Tower.
6. Most memorable quote.
7. Best fight scene.
8. Favourite romance.
9. Background character that you felt deserved a bigger storyline.
10. Which Beam Guardian were you most drawn too?
11. Favourite crossover (from other King stories) character, place or event.
12. If you were dissatisfied with Flagg's demise, how would you have liked him to go out?
13. The book you were most excited to read.
14. A character you thought or hoped would be in the series, but wasn't.
15. Favourite artist from the series.
16. All time favourite moment from the series.
17. Saddest moment.
18. If you could pick (upto) any 4 characters to be in your ka-tet, who would you choose?
19. Do you believe Roland will ever reach the top of the Tower, if so, what would you like him to find there?

Darkthoughts
10-05-2010, 04:08 AM

Favourite protagonist of the series and why.
I think I'd go with Jake, although I could quite easily have put Roland or Eddie. But for me, I just...my heart went out to Jake the most, especially when he was going mad, I was quite literally cheering for him during The Wastelands.

turtlex
10-05-2010, 04:09 AM

I'd have to say Eddie. He's always been my favorite, something about all the things he had to overcome.

Jean
10-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Susannah.

I've explained why in a number of other threads.

In short, she is the epitome of everything I love in a woman and a human being. She is very much like my wife.

turtlex
10-05-2010, 04:21 AM
Susannah.

I've explained why in a number of other threads.

In short, she is the epitome of everything I love in a woman and a human being. She is very much like my wife.

:wub: this is such an awesome statement.

Brice
10-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Your wife throws plates with deadly accuracy?

Jean
10-05-2010, 04:26 AM
Your wife throws plates with deadly accuracy?
Every time she is challenged by a lupine robot.

Pam: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Brice
10-05-2010, 04:53 AM
:lol:

RainInSpain
10-05-2010, 05:05 AM

I'd have to be unoriginal here, and go with Roland. Most of all because I liked that King used an older protagonist. I do not particularly enjoy books where the (anti)hero is a young person - I cannot help thinking "Gee, what do YOU possibly know about life's tragedies and choices?" (Not fair and not quite justified, for sure, but that's what it is for me.)
Or, to put it differently, to take an interest/admire/hate/empathize with the protagonist, I have to think of them as someone whose ways have been determined by experience rather than just nature alone. This I more often associate with (slightly) older age.

alkanto
10-05-2010, 05:36 AM

Edward Cantor Dean.

This is because I think he goes through the most changes and challenges (that we can see on page, at least). I absolutely hated him in DOtT, but by the end...I cried so hard in the last book because of him. I didn't realize he was my favorite until that moment.
Plus, non-junkie Eddie is pretty much my dream guy - funny, somewhat sensitive, and not afraid to kick some ass ;)

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 05:36 AM

Cuthbert, because in all the series I feel like he's the one person I could relate to fully. Eddie comes close, but lacks something. Cuthbert and I, though, we're the kind of idiots who will make a joke at the expense of the bully, even though it's probably gonna cost us a tooth or two, and actually relish the fight. We're the type of kids who were only bullied because we'd go around insulting the bully to distract him from weaker targets. Therein lies a certain nobility, I think, anyway.

RainInSpain
10-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Oh, I have always thought it would have been incredibly cool to have a Cuthbert-like friend. Precisely because of his ability to find humor in anything and everything, regardless of the consequences :beat:, and still be serious enough to act, not just laugh.

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 06:04 AM
:) we can be friends, surely.

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Edward Cantor Dean.

This is because I think he goes through the most changes and challenges (that we can see on page, at least). I absolutely hated him in DOtT, but by the end...I cried so hard in the last book because of him. I didn't realize he was my favorite until that moment.
Plus, non-junkie Eddie is pretty much my dream guy - funny, somewhat sensitive, and not afraid to kick some ass ;)
Very good choice, and almost mine, but for a few differences.

RainInSpain
10-05-2010, 06:46 AM
:) we can be friends, surely.

:blush:
:couple:
:)

Patrick
10-05-2010, 10:38 AM
While Susan would have been a great girlfriend, Cuthbert would be a blast to hang out with, Eddie would provide entertainment in his own way, but I have to go with Roland. He is the most complex, fully developed character in my opinion.

fernandito
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
...I have to go with Roland. He is the most complex, fully developed character in my opinion.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Ah, but which Roland? If you combine young Roland with Adult Roland, I'd agree with you. Older Roland is pretty one dimensional, while Young Roland might be a bit more yin AND yang, he's mostly wang, which made him completely boring to me.

fernandito
10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Roland as a whole, why do they have to be separate ?

pathoftheturtle
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
You could sub-divide him further and further. i.e. "Roland of Volume 1, Chapter 3 (revised)" versus "Roland of the second comic arc, Issue 4"

Darkthoughts
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
:lol:

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I STILL do not count the comics as canon. I refuse. :nope:

:P

Jean
10-05-2010, 12:09 PM

same here

Brother John, did you think I wouldn't recognize you in this disguise?

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Young Roland (WaG) and Adult Roland where completely different people as to motivation, at least before the pink eye.

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM

same here

Brother John, did you think I wouldn't recognize you in this disguise?
never meant it to be a disguise, just felt like a change with the new site address was in order. I was tired of being who I am. If you read that sentence too many times it will give you a brain aneurysm. :P

Jean
10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
whatever, provided it helps you to change your mood from "sad" into something more positive

you'll always be Brother John to me anyway http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

pathoftheturtle
10-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Young Roland (WaG) and Adult Roland where completely different people as to motivation, at least before the pink eye.First of all, that's laden with debatable interpretation. Secondly, I'd argue that it's not the only time that Roland's motivation changes.

:PWe're deconstructing canon already? I can't wait to see what happens by Day 19!

Even dividing the ka-tet enough to pick a favorite is proving rather hard for me. All of the protagonists are great. On the one hand, I'd agree that Roland is the most complex, but it's equally fascinating what King does with even so simple a character as Oy.

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
whatever, provided it helps you to change your mood from "sad" into something more positive

you'll always be Brother John to me anyway http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif(couple)

Young Roland (WaG) and Adult Roland where completely different people as to motivation, at least before the pink eye.First of all, that's laden with debatable interpretation. Secondly, I'd argue that it's not the only time that Roland's motivation changes.

:PWe're deconstructing canon already? I can't wait to see what happens by Day 19!

Even dividing the ka-tet enough to pick a favorite is proving rather hard for me. All of the protagonists are great. On the one hand, I'd agree that Roland is the most complex, but it's equally fascinating what King does with even so simple a character as Oy.Not deconstructing anything. All I said, is that personally, the books aren't canon to me. It kinda peeves me off when someone tries to tell me, "but that's explained in issue 5 of The Gunslinger Born!"

Same goes with the Buffy comics. I like them, but not canon. :P

pathoftheturtle
10-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Just making a joke of whether canonicity is currently on-topic. We can analyze the whole series to death... but maybe we should save some for tomorrow.

John Blaze
10-05-2010, 01:02 PM
:cowboy:

Lisey Landon
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Maybe this one will be less taxing, Path?

Favourite anatgonist and why.

Darkthoughts
10-06-2010, 03:38 AM
I want to say Flagg, but I don't feel he achieved his potential in the series as much as he did in say The Stand or Eyes Of The Dragon. I think I'm going to pick Roland, even though he isn't truly the protagonist of the story, his obsessional behaviour was and is so detrimental to his journey that he is his own worst enemy. I love him dearly, I think he's one of the most fascinating characters ever written.

turtlex
10-06-2010, 04:01 AM

The first name that came to mind for me was Marten Broadcloak. Man, I just hate him. He's evil. He does nothing but manipulate everyone.

( or course, that could be because I recently listened to Wizard and Glass, but still )

Darkthoughts
10-06-2010, 04:16 AM
Yes, Marten was an awesome manifestation - brilliantly awful bad guy!

RainInSpain
10-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Oh yes, Marten is a good example of a truly bad guy!

Cannot really say I have a favorite antagonist, but the one whose backstory I'd be interested to know is The Good Man, John Farson. There really isn't much said about him, other than that he is evil incarnate with his own agenda (however simplistic or complex it might be) disguised as a fight for democracy. So he is kind of flat as a character - but every coin has the reverse, and it could be sickeningly fascinating to see the other side of TGM, what's going on in his mind, how he came to be what he is, and how he perceives his place in the bigger game.

This interest might stem from being born and raised in the USSR - I'm curious to know what the driving force is behind this so-called "revolution" leader.

lonely_cube
10-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Oh yes, Marten is a good example of a truly bad guy!

Cannot really say I have a favorite antagonist, but the one whose backstory I'd be interested to know is The Good Man, John Farson. There really isn't much said about him, other than that he is evil incarnate with his own agenda (however simplistic or complex it might be) disguised as a fight for democracy. So he is kind of flat as a character - but every coin has the reverse, and it could be sickeningly fascinating to see the other side of TGM, what's going on in his mind, how he came to be what he is, and how he perceives his place in the bigger game.

This interest might stem from being born and raised in the USSR - I'm curious to know what the driving force is behind this so-called "revolution" leader.

Yeah, I've always wondered about Farson too. He never actually meets Roland, if I remember correctly, so they don't even describe him physically, not to mention his backstory and motives. Then again, I think that was completely intentional on King's part, making him more of a faceless representation of the forces of evil, rather than an actual character.

Back on topic, I thought the Big Coffin Hunters, particularly Jonas, were interesting villains. Again, they could have developed them a lot more, but I thought they still made good opposites for young Roland's ka-tet.

John Blaze
10-06-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't and have never considered Farson to be a bad guy. Antagonist surely, but not bad.

Maybe some of his men were bad, some of their methods were bad, but (again, based solely on the books, no comic stuff) all he wanted was the kind of government we have now in our day and age, not the pseudo-aristocratic baronies they had in his when.

That being said, my favorite antagonist is Pimli Prentiss. His self reasoning and thinking astound me, as it shows how some normally good people can justify to themselves doing some very bad things. I think Paul Edgecome, a character 99.9% of us love, could easily have become like him, in slightly different circumstances.

RainInSpain
10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
I don't and have never considered Farson to be a bad guy. Antagonist surely, but not bad.

Maybe some of his men were bad, some of their methods were bad, but (again, based solely on the books, no comic stuff) all he wanted was the kind of government we have now in our day and age, not the pseudo-aristocratic baronies they had in his when.

That being said, my favorite antagonist is Pimli Prentiss. His self reasoning and thinking astound me, as it shows how some normally good people can justify to themselves doing some very bad things. I think Paul Edgecome, a character 99.9% of us love, could easily have become like him, in slightly different circumstances.

I have a feeling the idea that "it's not them, it's their men" (when taken to the extreme) is exactly the justification for actions used by most of tyrants, etc. to take the responsibility for what happened off themselves.

My take on this is such: if someone fancies him/herself to be a leader, who wants to make some drastic change, they have to be very careful with who they choose for associates/allies. It is up to the leader to make every effort not to let their cause become synonymous with a bloodbath. (Slaughter in Cressia is mentioned somewhere in DT4, if I'm not mistaken. And that plan to poison an entire town in DT1... brrr!) The leader is accountable for most everything that is done in the name of that cause, they cannot just wash their hands of it all.
So yeah, to me John Farson is a villain.

Pimli - I feel revolted every time I read about him. Just can't stand the guy.

John Blaze
10-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Interesting take. Have you read the Bean series by Orson Scott Card? There's a part where Alai becomes Caliph, but his people (although in agreement with him over goals and methods) are a little too enthusiastic to control. It will happen in any real life war situation, IMO. No matter who the "good guys" are, it's impossible to control all your people 100%.

alkanto
10-06-2010, 10:29 AM

This one is harder, methinks....

I have to go with Marten, simply because of the scope his villainy covers, and how cold-heartedly he goes about doing these acts. He's just so well-written, and interesting to speculate on/about.

RainInSpain
10-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Interesting take. Have you read the Bean series by Orson Scott Card? There's a part where Alai becomes Caliph, but his people (although in agreement with him over goals and methods) are a little too enthusiastic to control. It will happen in any real life war situation, IMO. No matter who the "good guys" are, it's impossible to control all your people 100%.

No, I have not read it -is it good? I've just looked it up on wikipedia - looks like it has strong ties to Ender's Game (which I never finished - perhaps I should revisit it).

I know what you mean - but what I was driving at is that even though 100% control is unachievable, one of the "good guy" leader's aims should be to keep as tight a grip on their men as possible when it comes to violence, at least towards civilians, and not to encourage, promote or outright order it (as it was in the planned town poisoning case).

To me, that's one of the measures of whether someone can be considered a "good" or a "bad" guy - is this someone trying to limit violence to what is absolutely necessary/unavoidable (this definition is debatable, of course), or do they actually see it as the primary vehicle for achieving their goals?

John Blaze
10-06-2010, 12:28 PM

No, I have not read it -is it good? I've just looked it up on wikipedia - looks like it has strong ties to Ender's Game (which I never finished - perhaps I should revisit it).

I know what you mean - but what I was driving at is that even though 100% control is unachievable, one of the "good guy" leader's aims should be to keep as tight a grip on their men as possible when it comes to violence, at least towards civilians, and not to encourage, promote or outright order it (as it was in the planned town poisoning case).

To me, that's one of the measures of whether someone can be considered a "good" or a "bad" guy - is this someone trying to limit violence to what is absolutely necessary/unavoidable (this definition is debatable, of course), or do they actually see it as the primary vehicle for achieving their goals?

In my opinion the Ender's series, besides the first one, suck. The Bean books are MUCH better. :D

I understand what you're saying, but in a realistic situation a "General" can order whatever he wants, but for the people in the field with no supervision to heed it is a long stretch. I agree they should TRY to keep a tight hold on the reins though.

One thing that gets me about these books is how all the good guys were uniformly "good". i can't believe there were no trigger happy Gunslingers out there, Barons who took advantage of their status, anything like that.

RainInSpain
10-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Mmm, I'll see if I can find these books - not even sure if they've been translated or if the library has English ones.

I think for Farson's ideas to take such a firm root and to lead to overthrowing of gunslingers there had to be enough questionable or perceived questionable behavior on their part.

John Blaze
10-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Estoy seguro que ya los traducieron al Español. :)

But it's not referenced anywhere in the books. And that's my point exactly, if the Good Man's ways are so bad, and the Barons are so good, why are the commoners flocking to him? Servants that have been loyal for years joining his cause?

alkanto
10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Hate to butt in the conversation, but people joined Farson's troops for the same reasons people have joined every dictator's group: because a man is evil, that doesn't mean he can't engaging!
It's as simple as making yourself - and your mission - seem less evil than it is. It may have been the case, even, that he believed his mission was the right way. Isn't that the case for all people? Why else would you join? It's all about perspective.

Tons of people have joined organizations, whether they be weak-minded or easily persuaded, and found it wasn't what they thought. Do you think Farson went to the baronies and proclaimed his plan was to kill everyone, in various and increasingly nasty ways? Somehow, I doubt it. Now, I'm not calling all the aforementioned servants simpleminded, mind you, but people get caught up in these sort of things. As soon as the idea gets into peoples' heads that they can be a part of something important -which I'm sure was made evident by Farson - they seem to forget morals, or seem to ignore them until it's too late.

Just my two cents. Hope that made sense...

John Blaze
10-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Do you think Farson went to the baronies and proclaimed his plan was to kill everyone, in various and increasingly nasty ways? Somehow, I doubt it.
Where did he say that? Are you saying he was an agent of chaos, just out to fuck shit up? Anarchist Farson?

alkanto
10-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Not saying that was his main goal. But that seemed to be a product of his action.

Yes, it was probably a poor choice of words. What I'm trying to get at is, when people joined him, they had no idea of what was going on behind the scenes. It was a revolution of sorts. And, like all revolutions, it was probably quite glorified. And that is why people joined him. Not because their own antagonistic views, or because of Farson's lack of antagonism.

Also remember....he was written to be an enemy to Gilead and the gunslingers. Ergo, an antagonist to our protagonists. King/Roland - our storytellers - probably had quite a bit of bias. Hence the implication that he is bad. hell..the word antagonist implies evil to most people these days...But within canon, we will probably never know his true intentions. Just my own personal opinion on the guy..

John Blaze
10-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Oh I totally understand what you're saying about the way he was written and about storyteller bias. All the storytellers were quite biased, POV stuff. i understand he was written as the bad guy, but Roland was written to be a good guy, and he killed a shitload of people too. One time an entire town. :)

Well then again, I'm not sure if Roland was WRITTEN to be a good guy, more an anti-hero than anything.

alkanto
10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
But, then again, Roland was defending himself. Not his fault, right? :) And I agree about the anti-hero. I personally see Roland as the quintessential anti-hero myself. The rest of his newer Ka-tet were more the heroes. And Patrick Danville. He was certainly a hero in all senses of the word.

pathoftheturtle
10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
It's not easy to draw the line... what I always say is that "All wars are defensive." As RIS said, definitions of necessary violence are debatable. The Gunslingers may have been too harsh, and they proved vulnerable to TMIB's corrupting influence, but whether their people believed it or not, they did need a force to protect them in that world known to sometimes suffer open rampages of supernatural creatures. (Demons, vampires, etc.) If, if, Farson had good intentions, it didn't prevent TMIB from also corrupting him fairly easily.

Anyway, my own favorite TDT antagonist is Blaine. The supposed threat of technology was not as well represented by the others, IMO. The themes got muddled and the plot meandered. I feel that the conflict with Blaine brought out the best in the characters and in the author.

John Blaze
10-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Agreed on the first part. It's a slippery slope, and the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Also agreed on the Blaine technology representation. :)

Jean
10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
dear friends,

please do not forget that this thread is not really intended to contain in-depth discussion. There are a lot of standing threads where various aspects of the DT have been discussed for years, please try to redirect any budding discussion to where it belongs

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thankyou.jpg

Walkingman79
10-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm late like the The White Rabbit so I'll do both

Protagonist-My favorite protagonist is Eddie Dean.My first reason is the way we meet Eddie which is some intense page turning reading.This is where we got our first taste of the doors and how they work(dejavu from Dreamcatcher but better) and I think the way that it was written and how Sai King conveyed this idea was incredible.The dialog between Eddie and Roland is a good prelude into their relationship and indicates some strong personality traits.My second reason is that that Eddie truly is a good person that has taken a few wrong turns in his life but ultimately faces his demons,learns fom his mistakes and ultimately grows as a person and at the same time gets back to his core character when he was young and not jaded from a turbulent life.I can realate too his journey.Third reason is the reason we all love Eddie.He is the type of person who is just a naturally funny person.He doesn't have to try at it or force it,it is just part of his character.He is witty and his play on words to achieve comedy are just so fucking good.Every Ka-tet needs an Eddie Dean to give balance,it helps strengthen the bond and he gives crucial comic relief not only to the Tet but also to the constant reader.
I have to think about my favorite antagonist because there are many in this tale and alot of them are just pure evil so I grew to really dislike a bunch of them over the coarse of our journey.:rose:

Lisey Landon
10-06-2010, 11:20 PM
dear friends,

please do not forget that this thread is not really intended to contain in-depth discussion. There are a lot of standing threads where various aspects of the DT have been discussed for years, please try to redirect any budding discussion to where it belongs

Very true, although I hoped that these questions would reignite interest in those of us who have reread many times and don't visit Gilead so often, aswell as being a starting point for new members. So, whilst the overall aim is to generate discussion in existing threads, I wouldn't want people to feel they could only answer the questions in here and not comment on others :thumbsup:

3. Favourite original ka-tet member and why.

fernandito
10-07-2010, 05:01 AM

It wasn't made with that intention in mind, but I'm glad to see this is what became of it. Reading all of the discussion here is the primary reason I'm so desperate to begin my series re-read. I say let everyone discuss the questions in depth to their hearts content.

alkanto
10-07-2010, 05:23 AM

I have to go with Cuthbert. He's essentially the original version of Eddie, and he is my favorite of the entire series.

turtlex
10-07-2010, 05:25 AM

I think ... Cuthbert. For exactly the reason alkanto said! :couple:

RainInSpain
10-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Same thing here - Cuthbert! :couple:
Not because of being Eddie's precursor. I just like him. Nothing beats quick wits. :)

Oh, and I had a totally Cuthbertian moment last week.
From our Scotland travels DH and I brought a bottle of whisky, to do a bit of whisky-tasting with select coworkers ;)
So there we sit, being pelted with a multitude of questions, and finally someone asks about Loch Ness. DH is a good and engaging story-teller, but remembering numbers, names, etc. is definitely not his forte. I, on the other hand, have a tendency to remember odd facts.
DH starts telling the guys how we had visited that specific place where there are ruins of that old castle… This is precisely where I butt in with the name: “Urquhart”.
Next, DH begins describing Loch Ness itself, how it is not too wide but at the same time stretches for more than 30 kilometers… “38”, I say, and then shut promptly up because I’m stricken with a vivid mental picture of a certain DT4 moment.
Remember how after getting a message from home, Bert and Alain tell Roland that they saw oxen at a certain ranch (Rocking H)? Same dialog structure :)

pathoftheturtle
10-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Alain, because he's more like Jake, who I might possibly love more than Eddie.

Direction to more on the Day 1 question: The big question now and forever: Who is your favourite from the Ka-Tet? (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=232)

Direction to more on the Day 2 question: Favourite DT Villain (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2261)

Direction to more on the tangent regarding what may have motivated Farson: Gunslingers - discussion of their roles, social positions and functions (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=216)

Direction to another fun questionnaire: DT Character Questionnaire *spoilers* (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4423)

John Blaze
10-07-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm late like the The White Rabbit so I'll do both

Protagonist-My favorite protagonist is Eddie Dean.My first reason is the way we meet Eddie which is some intense page turning reading.This is where we got our first taste of the doors and how they work(dejavu from Dreamcatcher but better) and I think the way that it was written and how Sai King conveyed this idea was incredible.The dialog between Eddie and Roland is a good prelude into their relationship and indicates some strong personality traits.My second reason is that that Eddie truly is a good person that has taken a few wrong turns in his life but ultimately faces his demons,learns fom his mistakes and ultimately grows as a person and at the same time gets back to his core character when he was young and not jaded from a turbulent life.I can realate too his journey.Third reason is the reason we all love Eddie.He is the type of person who is just a naturally funny person.He doesn't have to try at it or force it,it is just part of his character.He is witty and his play on words to achieve comedy are just so fucking good.Every Ka-tet needs an Eddie Dean to give balance,it helps strengthen the bond and he gives crucial comic relief not only to the Tet but also to the constant reader.
I have to think about my favorite antagonist because there are many in this tale and alot of them are just pure evil so I grew to really dislike a bunch of them over the coarse of our journey.:rose:I love you Ruki. :wub:

That was an awesome stream of consciousness type read. :huglove:

dear friends,

Very true, although I hoped that these questions would reignite interest in those of us who have reread many times and don't visit Gilead so often, aswell as being a starting point for new members. So, whilst the overall aim is to generate discussion in existing threads, I wouldn't want people to feel they could only answer the questions in here and not comment on others :thumbsup:

3. Favourite original ka-tet member and why.:scared:

Ok,

Answer is Cuthbert, same reasons as the first time around. Gotta love him.

I have to go with Cuthbert. He's essentially the original version of Eddie, and he is my favorite of the entire series.
:huglove:

I think ... Cuthbert. For exactly the reason alkanto said! :couple::wub:

Same thing here - Cuthbert! :couple:
Not because of being Eddie's precursor. I just like him. Nothing beats quick wits. :)

Oh, and I had a totally Cuthbertian moment last week.
From our Scotland travels DH and I brought a bottle of whisky, to do a bit of whisky-tasting with select coworkers ;)
So there we sit, being pelted with a multitude of questions, and finally someone asks about Loch Ness. DH is a good and engaging story-teller, but remembering numbers, names, etc. is definitely not his forte. I, on the other hand, have a tendency to remember odd facts.
DH starts telling the guys how we had visited that specific place where there are ruins of that old castle… This is precisely where I butt in with the name: “Urquhart”.
Next, DH begins describing Loch Ness itself, how it is not too wide but at the same time stretches for more than 30 kilometers… “38”, I say, and then shut promptly up because I’m stricken with a vivid mental picture of a certain DT4 moment.
Remember how after getting a message from home, Bert and Alain tell Roland that they saw oxen at a certain ranch (Rocking H)? Same dialog structure :)
You rock too! :couple:

Alain, because he's more like Jake, who I might possibly love more than Eddie.

:grouphug:

maerlyns_rainbow
10-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I came in late, but I wanna play too!

Favorite protagonist: Eddie, because I'm in love with him. Like if his character was based on a real person, I'd find him and force him to marry me.

Favorite antagonist: Rhea of the Coos. That is one evil bitch. Nuff said.

Walkingman79
10-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I can't decide on favorite(most hated) antogonist but I'll pick one for the sake of the thread.I'm going with Eldred Jonas.He was just a straight up dickhead and represents a type of guy I really dislike,just a pissed off lowlife that lost sight of the White along time ago.I see him a a smart guy but some very intelligent men have proven to be the epitamy of evil over the coarse of history.There's no doubt in my mind that before he ran into Roland,Cuthbert and Alain he killed alot of good people since his days of being a gunslinger and that type of chracter just doesn't sit well with me.He made a concious choice to be evil.

Walkingman79
10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
[quote=WalkingMan79;554490]I'm late like the The White Rabbit so I'll do both

I have to think about my favorite antagonist because there are many in this tale and alot of them are just pure evil so I grew to really dislike a bunch of them over the coarse of our journey.:rose:I love you Ruki. :wub:

That was an awesome stream of consciousness type read. :huglove:

Thanks I think....:couple: but you can keep the kisses dude.I think the were intended for Ruki.:lol:

John Blaze
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
:lol: Damn! I didn't even read your name, I'm used to seeing that avatar, or a very similar looking one, for Ruki, and when I saw that I swear to G that I thought it was her. :P sorry!

:wtf:

Walkingman79
10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Nah don't be sorry.I think you were giving me a compliment and I'll take one of those any day.just not a man kiss:wtf:

John Blaze
10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Aw, come on now, you likeded it! :P

I was giving you a compliment, I really did like your explanation for why Eddie rocks. I like Eddie lots more than everyone else in the Ka-tet, but Cuthbert is still my favorite.

Girlystevedave
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Roland. Hands down. And why? As someone else said, he's so complex. He has so many layers. He's a leader, he's strong, he's weak. And I loved seeing his progression through the series.

Probably Rhea of the Coos. I hated her so much. That, to me, makes the best antagonist. The one who can make me cringe when I read her parts in the book.

Cuthbert. I liked that he had a sense of humor and wasn't afraid to speak his mind when appropriate or not.
Plus, he named his horse "Glue Boy". That's one of the coolest things in the whole series. :lol:

Lisey Landon
10-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Thank you for the links, Path :thumbsup:

alkanto
10-08-2010, 04:50 AM

I know everyone is going to say this, but OY!!! :D :D

I love Oy! What I would do to get my hands on a billybumbler....I'm a sucker for dogs anyways, and the fact that Oy is (kind of) one - but talks!
Let's just say he comes in at a close second to Eddie for my favorite character of the series!

maerlyns_rainbow
10-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Favorite original ka-tet member: Cuthbert. I loved him in WaG, because I get so mad at Roland in his love sick blindness and Cuthbert was the same. He saw through all Roland's so-called choices to the true reason why he wanted to stay in Mejis. AND he called him out on it, which would take major cajones.

Favorite creature/beast/hybrid: OY! He's just so dang cute.

John Blaze
10-08-2010, 08:02 AM
He saw through all Roland's so-called choices to the true reason why he wanted to stay in Mejis. AND he called him out on it, which would take major cajones.
EXACTLY!

To stand up to your alpha (which is what Roland was, really) and do it knowing you're probably going to get a serious ass whipping, takes real courage. Cuthbert rocks.

John Blaze
10-08-2010, 08:08 AM
is there any besides Oy? I can't think of any, and besides, Oy does rock.

RainInSpain
10-08-2010, 08:20 AM
He saw through all Roland's so-called choices to the true reason why he wanted to stay in Mejis. AND he called him out on it, which would take major cajones.
EXACTLY!

To stand up to your alpha (which is what Roland was, really) and do it knowing you're probably going to get a serious ass whipping, takes real courage. Cuthbert rocks.

:couple:

To answer the question: Oy.
But I also keep remembering those white mutie bees that the ka-tet saw on their way to Lud. They are a good example of random detail that makes the narration creepy. I totally have shivers running up and down my spine when I imagine them.

pathoftheturtle
10-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Favorite protagonist: Eddie, because I'm in love with him. Like if his character was based on a real person, I'd find him and force him to marry me. But Stephen King is already married. lol

ETA --

is there any besides Oy? I can't think of any, and besides, Oy does rock.Aside from Billy Bumblers, the best are probably the can-toi (Low Men) I found them much more interesting than the Taheen.

Lisey Landon
10-09-2010, 05:57 AM

Jean
10-09-2010, 07:19 AM
5. Favourite place, from all worlds/levels of the Tower. River Crossing

candy
10-09-2010, 07:36 AM
A bit late, but hopefully not too late:)

Eddie Dean, i loved his journey from junkie to hero. He was sensitive and and funny. :wub:

Favourite Antagonist
Rhea of the Coos - they don't come much badder than this, she still gives me nightmares

Favourite original ka-tet member
if i had to choose i would go for Alain, but i never really cared for the original Ka-Tet. I always just wanted to go back to the new guys

4. Favourite creature/beast/hybrid.[/QUOTE]
Mordred - my favourite mis-understood creature

5. Favourite place, from all worlds/levels of the Tower. River Crossing

agreed, i would like to live there

RainInSpain
10-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Favourite place, from all worlds/levels of the Tower.

Mmm, from any world? A comfy sofa in my home in this world, where I can sit with a book in one hand and an apple or peach in the other.
Otherwise, I have a feeling that I would have enjoyed a visit to Gilead. :)

alkanto
10-09-2010, 09:14 AM
5. Favourite place, from all worlds/levels of the Tower

It's not by any means my favorite place, but I was always fascinated by Lud. You know, in a sort of scientific, "what the hell" sort of way. But it was always fun to read about...

As far as a place to actually go, I'd like Gilead, methinks

pathoftheturtle
10-09-2010, 10:59 AM
New York, NY

Lisey Landon
10-10-2010, 07:35 AM
6. Most memorable quote.

alkanto
10-10-2010, 07:59 AM
6. Most memorable quote.

"Go then. There are other worlds than these."

That one has been my favorite quote since I first read it in 6th grade. I don't know why, but it just really strikes me.
My other favorite is Gan's Prayer, that Roland says to Jake in the Keystone world before the burial. I didn't start crying until then.

Jean
10-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Kill if you will, but command me nothing

RainInSpain
10-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Hmm, hard to say - during the 15 years with TDT my favorites have changed a few times.
I'll go with these two:
1) Sometimes 'tis best to swing on the rope, even if it's too dark to see if the hay's there or not.
2) Speak, companion of my bosom's dearest tenant.

fernandito
10-10-2010, 10:15 AM
6. Most memorable quote.

"There will be water if God wills it."

turtlex
10-10-2010, 12:44 PM
6. Most memorable quote.

Stand, and be true.

Ricky
10-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Maybe a bit cliche, but:

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

In the contex of DTVII, not DTI. The same, yet completely different.

Girlystevedave
10-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Oy! :wub:

The empty lot with the rose. :)

6. Most memorable quote.

"But not for you Gunslinger, never for you. You darkle, you tinct. May I be brutally frank? You go on."

maerlyns_rainbow
10-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I've missed a day or two. I've had a sick baby :(

Favorite place:
I'm fascinated by Fedic, and The Castle Discordia. I love how when Mia pulls Susannah from there, the whole world rips in two.

Favorite quote:
So do we pass the ghosts that haunt us later in our lives; they sit undramatically by the roadside like poor beggars, and we see them only from the corners of our eyes, if we see them at all. The idea that they have been waiting there for us rarely crosses our minds. Yet they do wait, and when we have passed, they gather up their bundles of memory and fall in behind, treading in our footsteps and catching up, little by little.
--Wizard and Glass, when Roland sees Susan in the window.

candy
10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
6. Most memorable quote.

"Go then. There are other worlds than these."

there are more that i like, but this is the most memorable to me

Lisey Landon
10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
7. Best fight scene.

alkanto
10-11-2010, 12:03 PM
7. Best fight scene.

Eddie's naked fight.

And it's not just because Eddie was naked. It was very well-written, intense, and proved that Eddie was a true gunslinger.

Darkthoughts
10-11-2010, 12:14 PM
That was mine too, same reasons :thumbsup:

pathoftheturtle
10-11-2010, 12:14 PM
7. Best fight scene.

Eddie's naked fight.

And it's not just because Eddie was naked. It was very well-written, intense, and proved that Eddie was a true gunslinger.Also, that same fight carried over into the sub-scene (to coin a phrase) of the beach. Altogether great.

John Blaze
10-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Where Jake was laid to rest.

John Blaze
10-11-2010, 04:03 PM
6. Most memorable quote. You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served.

7. Best fight scene.The one where Enrico and his men get their due. :)

Girlystevedave
10-11-2010, 09:44 PM
7. Best fight scene.

Eddie's naked fight.

And it's not just because Eddie was naked. It was very well-written, intense, and proved that Eddie was a true gunslinger.

Fuck yes. :wub:
This entire scene rocked. It's not just my favorite fight scene, but one of my favorite parts from the entire series.

fernandito
10-11-2010, 09:52 PM
7. Best fight scene.

The fight at Tull. Such a tense shootout, and the only time we get to see Roland at his full gun slinging potential.

Jean
10-11-2010, 11:44 PM
7. Best fight scene.
The gas station.

Lisey Landon
10-12-2010, 04:18 AM
8. Favourite romance or romantic encounter.

turtlex
10-12-2010, 04:36 AM

Eddie and Susannah. :wub:

Darkthoughts
10-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Mine was Roland and Rosalita, I felt that was possibly the only normal relationship he'd ever had with anyone, they both seemed so comfortable. I always hoped he found Rosie when he reached the Clearing :rose:

Jean
10-12-2010, 04:48 AM
both of the above

Darkthoughts
10-12-2010, 04:55 AM
:thumbsup:

alkanto
10-12-2010, 04:59 AM

Eddie and Susannah.

RainInSpain
10-12-2010, 05:07 AM
7. Best fight scene.

Same choice as what feverishparade said, and for the same reasons.

Roland and Rosalita, as far as romantic goes.

But the most difficult emotionally is his relationship with Allie. Not because of the manner of her death (that's just sad), but because everything about it and around it was so un-romantic and end-of-the-world.

John Blaze
10-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Roland and Rosalita. He deserved someone like that to be able to have a normal relationship with. :(

pathoftheturtle
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
7. Best fight scene.The one where Enrico and his men get their due. :)Better be more specific. :lol:

John Blaze
10-12-2010, 10:32 AM
7. Best fight scene.The one where Enrico and his men get their due. :)Better be more specific. :lol:
Same one everyone else is saying, except they're calling it the "Naked Eddie" fight. :wtf:

pathoftheturtle
10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I also liked scenes such as Eddie protecting Calvin Tower...

Lisey Landon
10-12-2010, 11:39 PM

turtlex
10-13-2010, 02:36 AM

Gabrielle Deschain

Darkthoughts
10-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Cuthbert, because I am ever so slightly in love with him :wub:

From the new ka-tet's timeline I'd have liked to have known more about John Cullum, I really liked him. I pictured him as the guy that plays Frasier's dad :D

alkanto
10-13-2010, 03:45 AM

He's not really a background character, but I wanted to see more of Farson's history. Especially a part of the war/rebellion/whatever from his point of view. This is going off of on one of the first questions, when we argued over the malevolent intent of Farson. I want to know what's really going on with him.

RainInSpain
10-13-2010, 05:01 AM

He's not really a background character, but I wanted to see more of Farson's history. Especially a part of the war/rebellion/whatever from his point of view. This is going off of on one of the first questions, when we argued over the malevolent intent of Farson. I want to know what's really going on with him.

Same here - more backstory on Farson would be interesting.

Although I must say I'm torn between wanting to know more about Farson (as one of the baddies) and Cuthbert (as one of the good guys) - this is kind of obvious if you look back at answers to previous questions.

John Blaze
10-13-2010, 08:19 AM

Cort

pathoftheturtle
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Maerlyn

fernandito
10-13-2010, 01:05 PM

Definitely John Farson.

Girlystevedave
10-13-2010, 01:31 PM

Eddie and Susannah.

Cuthbert. He was one of the main reasons why I was excited over the comics. I wanted to know more about him and see more of him in the story.

Lisey Landon
10-13-2010, 11:36 PM

Jean
10-14-2010, 01:26 AM
10. Which Beam Guardian were you most drawn too? the answer is obvious...

turtlex
10-14-2010, 02:12 AM

Take a shot in the dark and try to guess .... :blush:

The turtle, of course !!!!

:wub: Jean :wub:

Jean
10-14-2010, 02:34 AM
:rose: :rose: :rose:

alkanto
10-14-2010, 05:33 AM

I've always liked Turtles. I even have a small carved turtle I named Marturin.
I like wolves the best, but we never heard about any of the other beams, so it's hard to pull away from the turtle

RainInSpain
10-14-2010, 06:26 AM
The Turtle :)

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab25/MusingMuse/Miscelleneous/Turtle.jpg

John Blaze
10-14-2010, 07:44 AM
The Rabbit.

fernandito
10-14-2010, 09:03 AM

The Turtle by a mile and a half.

Girlystevedave
10-14-2010, 08:40 PM
The Turtle.
I even started somewhat collecting them after reading the book.
Figurines, not real ones. :cyclops:

John Blaze
10-14-2010, 09:04 PM
The Turtle.
I even started somewhat collecting them after reading the book.
Figurines, not real ones. :cyclops:
:couple: we collect them too!

Lisey Landon
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM

alkanto
10-15-2010, 04:15 AM

My all-time favorite Stephen King book is 'Salem's Lot, so that wins by default

Walkingman79
10-15-2010, 04:46 AM
Favorite Guardian of the Beam-
The Turtle.Some IT spoilers

The Turtle(Maturin) and I'll be an echo and use "by a mile and a half".I remember being very young on my first read of IT and remember clearly loving the Ritual of Chud where I came accross the Turtle for the first time.I also remember early on in the book Georgie goes to the basement to grab some Turtle wax and we are led to believe there is something pretty heavy about the turtle symbol(and we were right to believe that).I think i'm going to dig out IT today and read the Ritual of Chud section because I remember some pretty intense dialog between Stuttering Bill and the Turtle.I'm sure a few of you have gone back to some old King books to re-read for Dark Tower connections and if memory serves me correctly I think this exchange between Bill and the Turtle will elude to the world of the Dark Tower.I could be wrong but I swear when I read"See the turtle of enormous girth....."I had an overwhelming sense of deja vu like i had read that poem somewhere before.I'm rambling but one thing is for sure;I was always drawn to the Turtle even way back then and I feel like that's some pretty intense stuff.Ka is a wheel for sure.....
Favorite crossover-
I loved seeing Ted Brautigan again.It was like running into an old friend.You know the one you really get excited to see cause you know the conversation will be great and you have so much to catch up on.Not the one with the same old boring and predictable small talk"how ya been?-where ya workin?-married?-kids?....awkward couple of seconds....well good seeing you."No not Ted.I wanted to grab lunch or a couple of beers and really hear what's good 'ole Ted has been up to all these years.Yes running into Ted again was the bees knees.

RainInSpain
10-15-2010, 05:14 AM
alcanto - :couple:

Salem's Lot was the first SK book that I read, so it was interesting to meet Father Callahan again in DT5.

alkanto
10-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Mine too! Hence it automatically being my favorite. That tends to be the case with me - the first (or near enough) book of an author I read tends to be my favorite.

pathoftheturtle
10-15-2010, 06:49 AM
10. Which Beam Guardian were you most drawn too?Stephen King. :lol:

Jean
10-15-2010, 10:27 AM

My all-time favorite Stephen King book is 'Salem's Lot, so that wins by default it does :rose:

John Blaze
10-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Favorite crossover-
I loved seeing Ted Brautigan again.It was like running into an old friend.You know the one you really get excited to see cause you know the conversation will be great and you have so much to catch up on.Not the one with the same old boring and predictable small talk"how ya been?-where ya workin?-married?-kids?....awkward couple of seconds....well good seeing you."No not Ted.I wanted to grab lunch or a couple of beers and really hear what's good 'ole Ted has been up to all these years.Yes running into Ted again was the bees knees.
Everything you said. :)

I love Ted, he's one of the best characters in the series.

Lisey Landon
10-16-2010, 02:55 AM
12. If you were dissatisfied with Flagg's demise, how would you have liked him to go out?

Jean
10-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I was completely satisfied.

alkanto
10-16-2010, 10:08 AM

I dunno if I was necessarily dissatisfied with his demise. I certainly didn't have anything planned for such an occasion. But it would have been nice to see him go out in more of a fight, perhaps.

Jean
10-16-2010, 10:53 AM
he had never fought before, why should he have done it then?

alkanto
10-16-2010, 10:55 AM
That's what I don't know...it just would have been more exciting, I guess? It was just anticlimactic for me. Like I said, I didn't really have a problem with it, but if I had to change it, that's what I would have done.

fernandito
10-16-2010, 12:39 PM

He was a constant thorn in Roland's side - to say the least - he should have met his end at the hands of the gunslinger. I would have loved if he was the final obstacle , standing before Roland and the Tower. I agree with Alkanto's sentiment of his demise feeling anti-climatic.

pathoftheturtle
10-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Well since, previously, God Himself dropped a nuclear bomb on him, and he survived thatwhat death could possibly have not been anti-climactic?

John Blaze
10-16-2010, 01:25 PM
:lol: I honestly have never really had a solid opinion about that. Yes, it feels anticlimactic, but I also don't have any idea how else it could have gone.

maerlyns_rainbow
10-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Best fight scene:

The gas station in book 7 or Eddie and Roland's fight at The Leaning Tower.

Favorite romance:

Eddie and Susannah

Background character that deserved a bigger storyline:
I really liked John Cullum, but maybe that's just because he's freshest in my mind at the moment (I'm re-reading the series and am on book 7 now)

Beam guardian I'm most drawn to:
Turtles. I dunno why. I just like turtles.

Favorite tie-in:
The Stand. Probably my favorite book. Ever.

maerlyns_rainbow
10-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I was completely satisfied.

Me too. I was not sorry to see him go.

maerlyns_rainbow
10-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Well since, previously, God Himself dropped a nuclear bomb on him, and he survived thatwhat death could possibly have not been anti-climactic?

Yes, exactly!

Girlystevedave
10-16-2010, 08:56 PM

Ted Brautigan. :wub:
I was so excited to see him show up in DT. His character was one I felt attached to after reading Hearts In Atlantis. So...to get more story with him was awesome.

I dunno if I was necessarily dissatisfied with his demise. I certainly didn't have anything planned for such an occasion. But it would have been nice to see him go out in more of a fight, perhaps.

Tru dat. :)
His death should have been a bigger "deal" than it was.

candy
10-17-2010, 02:01 AM
7. Best fight scene.

eddies first gun fight (or naked eddies gun fight)
as has been discussed, the writing flowed really well and i got really caught up in the moment of the fight. It was also the first time you really knew Eddie was going to be a gunslinger, i just wanted to punch the air and yell 'hell yeah'

Eddie and Susannah

9. Background character that deserved a bigger storyline:

Aunt Talitha and all at River crossing

The Bear

The Stand and Flagg, i honestly got a goosebumps when he first appeared
which leads nicely to.....

12. If you were dissatisfied with Flagg's demise, how would you have liked him to go out?[/QUOTE]

The FIRST reading - god i was disappointed, he had been built up to be this big bad and he was just so pathetic at the end.
But.... on subsequent readings of both DT and the Stand, i realised he was actually a very puny character who was being used all along, (even in the Stand) so in fact his demise was quite fitting.

Lisey Landon
10-17-2010, 02:42 AM

candy
10-17-2010, 02:57 AM

Wolves

it had been such a long time between books that when he released this i was just:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:: excited:

alkanto
10-17-2010, 08:07 AM

The Wastelands. DOTT was my favorite book, and I couldn't get enough of the story at that point. I was also excited to get more Jake, who was my favorite character at the time.

RainInSpain
10-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I wasn't dissatisfied. In fact, I preferred it this way, when a character who gets built up across many books finds a rather despicable demise.

It's a tie between The Gunslinger (original) and The Waste Lands - they both also happen to be my two favorite books of the series.
The Gunslinger - I got it as a much needed break from a steady diet of Jane Austen books, so I was definitely excited to read it.
TWL is so packed with varying locations and adventures that I remember how hard it was to put it aside to get some sleep or do anything productive at work :)

Girlystevedave
10-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Drawing of the Three. The end of The Gunslinger had me so excited and I knew that I was in for a hell of a ride with the series. So, I jumped right into reading DotT, knowing that it would be nothing but pure awesome. :)

maerlyns_rainbow
10-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Book I was most excited to read:

The Waste Lands. DOTT was just so awesome that I couldn't wait to start on TWL. I needed my Eddie fix.

pathoftheturtle
10-17-2010, 12:44 PM
7. Best fight scene.
How about the battle with Shardik? That sure wasn't bad.

Pass.

It was exciting when The Waste Lands evoked both It with the Turtle and The Stand with Flagg. :orely:
This is an interesting question because none of the connections to other books really worked solidly on a plot level, if you think about it. Like the still-hanging threads from Black House and the inelegant patch-in of Insomnia. (Or the tenuous parallel of DT to "The Mist.") They really contribute more in a thematic sense.
In all ways, though, I guess that at this point I'll pick Hearts in Atlantis for my favorite.

Okay. Sheemie doesn't die, either; he travels on with Roland and Susannah. They run into TMIB instead of Dandelo. Sheemie uses his power to teleport in Carol Gerber, Lucy Swann, and Thomas of Delain. They all join in on beating him with 2x4s. :lol:

I was most excited to read the last one, right after I finished the first one. lol

Would you rather hear about how worked up I got when WaG was first released?

Brice
10-17-2010, 02:34 PM

I don't know. Possibly DTVII. About a week before it was released I talked my friends who worked at a local Waldenbooks into illegally letting me read it in the back room of the store. For several hours for two days straight I sat in their stock room on a little footstool reading it nonstop. Then I began rereading.

Walkingman79
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Most excited to read-
The Gunslinger.I had been waiting to read this series for over ten years.First of all I wanted the story to be finished before I started it and second I wanted to get more of sai Kings work read before I tackled the masterpiece.So at the start I was most excited to read the Gunslinger but I loved this series so much that it changed at the end of every book and I was most excited for the next one.

Walkingman79
10-17-2010, 03:21 PM

I don't know. Possibly DTVII. About a week before it was released I talked my friends who worked at a local Waldenbooks into illegally letting me read it in the back room of the store. For several hours for two days straight I sat in their stock room on a little footstool reading it nonstop. Then I began rereading.

You are a diehard and I can respect that!:thumbsup:Your friends must have been curious what kind of story could make someone that rabid to read it.Did any of the friends go on to read TDT?

John Blaze
10-17-2010, 05:05 PM
All of them, really. :)

Lisey Landon
10-17-2010, 11:57 PM

alkanto
10-18-2010, 03:56 AM

No one, to be honest. Towards the end, I was just so into the story and all involved, I had no specific thought towards who may or may not make it into the storyline.

But, now I'm done, I'm glad Sai King left it as he did. It's just about perfect.

turtlex
10-18-2010, 04:02 AM

The last one. I mean, who wasn't so excited to pick that up and find out of the Ka-Tet made it to the tower?!?

Brice
10-18-2010, 04:40 AM

You are a diehard and I can respect that!:thumbsup:Your friends must have been curious what kind of story could make someone that rabid to read it.Did any of the friends go on to read TDT?

Well, they all knew how obsessed I am. I'd had them hold about $400 in books for me a time and I'd actually just hang out in the bookstore from opening to closing when I wasn't working. My current roommates worked there and my closest friend did also. My roommate had already read the first four books. He still hasn't read the rest. <_< The manager there at the time read the series on my pushing him towards it and a couple others read parts if not all of it. :)

Walkingman79
10-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Well, they all knew how obsessed I am. I'd had them hold about $400 in books for me a time and I'd actually just hang out in the bookstore from opening to closing when I wasn't working. My current roommates worked there and my closest friend did also. My roommate had already read the first four books. He still hasn't read the rest. <_< The manager there at the time read the series on my pushing him towards it and a couple others read parts if not all of it. :)

That is pretty cool.At least you had a couple of people to talk to about the story.I can't imagine starting this series and not finishing it.That probably would drive me bonkers.:cyclops:

Darkthoughts
10-18-2010, 07:51 AM

I was really hoping the boys from EOTD would turn up, as they left to find Flagg. And I had a slight hankering to see Jack Sawyer too.

pathoftheturtle
10-18-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm still looking forward to Jack Sawyer's next appearance.

An EotD sequel and a HiA sequel would also be great.

I'm all for more TDT books.

candy
10-18-2010, 08:58 AM

none, i just enjoyed the ride, there were one of two i would have prefered NOT to see, but no one that i was waiting for

RainInSpain
10-18-2010, 11:21 AM

I did not think of anyone, because I always treated TDT as a sort of "stand-alone" book(s) despite its connections to other SK works.

John Blaze
10-18-2010, 01:36 PM

I was really hoping the boys from EOTD would turn up, as they left to find Flagg. And I had a slight hankering to see Jack Sawyer too.
This.

Lisey Landon
10-18-2010, 11:15 PM

John Blaze
10-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Jae Lee. :P

RainInSpain
10-19-2010, 04:06 AM

Michael Whelan

...and Jae Lee :evil:

turtlex
10-19-2010, 04:12 AM

Michael Whelan. His work just crushes me with it's brilliance.

Jean
10-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Darek Kocurek

and Boehmke

alkanto
10-19-2010, 05:29 AM

Michael Whelan.
It is my life's goal to get a full-sized print of his painting of Jake, Roland, and Oy looking out from the cave...it's beautiful.

fernandito
10-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Jae Lee and Boehmke, because I got to meet both of them. Booya ! :D

stone, rose, unfound door
10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Jae Lee, definitely.

Lisey Landon
10-20-2010, 07:59 AM

pathoftheturtle
10-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Jake finds the Rose.

Jean
10-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Callahan in the Dixie Pig

turtlex
10-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Roland's call at the Tower.

candy
10-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Jeez, these are getting harder, there are so many to choose from.

i will have to think about this some more,

can i break it down to favourite moments from each character?

alkanto
10-20-2010, 02:48 PM

"Drawing" Jake through the door in the mansion. It was powerful.

John Blaze
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Jake's rescue. It was awesome.

John Blaze
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM

:couple: again! :wub:

alkanto
10-20-2010, 03:40 PM

Well, great minds think alike, yes? :D

John Blaze
10-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Well, great minds think alike, yes? :D
acourses!

Lisey Landon
10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
17. Saddest moment.

John Blaze
10-21-2010, 01:17 AM
17. Saddest moment.
Oy dying. It was, to me, such a thankless way to go. After all his loyalty, all his love, he ended up giving himself for something that shouldn't have been necessary.

RainInSpain
10-21-2010, 01:25 AM

Can I say "entire DTIII"? :lol:
I have so vivid mental pictures of that part of the epic, it sometimes scares me. If I absolutely had to choose one moment, it would be Jake finding the Rose.

17. Saddest moment.

Roland's fresh and raw grief upon losing Jake for good.

turtlex
10-21-2010, 02:57 AM
17. Saddest moment.

Eddie dying. Never expected it. Not in a million years. Frankly, just thinking about it tears me up some. Oy and Jake's deaths are close behind, but Eddie really knocked me out.

candy
10-21-2010, 11:08 AM
17. Saddest moment.
Oy dying. It was, to me, such a thankless way to go. After all his loyalty, all his love, he ended up giving himself for something that shouldn't have been necessary.

this

to the word:huglove:

Jean
10-21-2010, 11:55 AM
ditto here

alkanto
10-21-2010, 12:18 PM
17. Saddest moment.

Eddie dying.

I have never - not once, in all my years of reading - reacted so strongly to a character's death. I was inconsolable for a full day.

Lisey Landon
10-22-2010, 02:16 AM
18. If you could pick (upto) any 4 characters to be in your ka-tet, who would you choose?

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Can I say "entire DTIII"? :lol:
I have so vivid mental pictures of that part of the epic, it sometimes scares me. If I absolutely had to choose one moment, it would be Jake finding the Rose.:couple:
18. If you could pick (upto) any 4 characters to be in your ka-tet, who would you choose?Define "any," please.

John Blaze
10-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Eddy, Cuthbert, Susan and Sheemie.

Girlystevedave
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM

Jeez, this is hard. I guess if I have to choose. I'd say Jake being pulled through the door. It wasn't the specific act as much as it was Roland's determination to "find" Jake. I fell in love with Roland because of that part of the story.

17. Saddest moment.

Once again, this is too hard. I honestly don't know that I can pick one. It's a toss-up between Jake's death and Roland calling out the names of everyone at the Tower. I cried like a baby when I read both of those. No, I can't pick one. :nope:

Roland, Cuthbert, Eddie, & Oy :)

candy
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Father Callaghan, Eddie, Jake and Oy

Jean
10-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Roland (nobody can be better as our dinh), Susannah, Father Callahan, and Oy

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Honestly, with Roland, Eddie, or Susannah, I'd half expect any of them to shoot me at some point. Maybe even Jake.

Jean
10-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Honestly, with Roland, Eddie, or Susannah, I'd half expect any of them to shoot me at some point. Maybe even Jake. yes, but it all depends on why you would need to be in this ka-tet. The goal may be worthy of this risk, or the risk may just be inevitable.

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Honestly, with Roland, Eddie, or Susannah, I'd half expect any of them to shoot me at some point. Maybe even Jake. yes, but it all depends on why you would need to be in this ka-tet. The goal may be worthy of this risk, or the risk may just be inevitable.That's exactly what I was thinking. Ka.

alkanto
10-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Eddie, Jake, Oy, and Father Callahan

Jean
10-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Honestly, with Roland, Eddie, or Susannah, I'd half expect any of them to shoot me at some point. Maybe even Jake. yes, but it all depends on why you would need to be in this ka-tet. The goal may be worthy of this risk, or the risk may just be inevitable.That's exactly what I was thinking. Ka. well, no, I wasn't thinking this last word you've used...

RainInSpain
10-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Roland as dinh (because otherwise I would constantly question/contest anyone else's authority - to the point of getting into a fight :ninja:), Cuthbert (because as I said earlier, I'd love to have him as a friend), Jake and Oy.

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Honestly, with Roland, Eddie, or Susannah, I'd half expect any of them to shoot me at some point. Maybe even Jake. yes, but it all depends on why you would need to be in this ka-tet. The goal may be worthy of this risk, or the risk may just be inevitable.That's exactly what I was thinking. Ka. well, no, I wasn't thinking this last word you've used...Could have fooled me. :P When duty is clear, one counts on destiny.

Anyway, assuming that I had the power to choose, I'd probably want my allies to match the task, if I knew what that was. Also, I take it that it doesn't matter that most these characters already died. This is like hypothetical time-travel, right? If we're talking about people that we want to hang around with in real life, just for fun... I think I'd pick a different author.

candy
10-22-2010, 11:08 PM

See, this is where we differ i automtically presumed i was the Dinh!:dance:

Eddie, Jake, Oy, and Father Callahan

oh we matched!!:thumbsup:

Jean
10-22-2010, 11:49 PM

See, this is where we differ i automtically presumed i was the Dinh!:dance:
I think many people did. That's why I, so to speak, elaborated on Roland's role. I know that I would hate to be a dinh anyway, unless I have to, and why would I have to when Roland is eligible?

maerlyns_rainbow
10-23-2010, 04:37 AM
A character I hoped was in the series but wasn't:
None, really. I was just pleased to see so many familiar faces in the books as it was. Although I always thought it would be cool to have Tom Cullen from The Stand show up there somewhere. he was just a great character.

Favorite artist from the series:
Michael Whelan. I really wish we could see Patrick Danville's artwork though!

Favorite moment:
This one is so hard! There are so many. I'd have to say the ka-tet's trek through Lud, because it was so exciting, and they're trip on Blaine was always a highlight of mine.

Saddest moment:
I was crying when Eddie died, but when they buried Oy I bawled. Every time I read it. There is a line when they are burying him that says something like, "It didn't take long for his body was much smaller than the heart it held" and that always gets my water-works going.

Pick any 4 characters for my own ka-tet:
Eddie, Oy, Pere Callahan, and Susannah. Maybe we'd be safer without Roland around to get us all killed.

Lisey Landon
10-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Define "any," please.

Any characters from the entire DT series :)

19. Do you believe Roland will ever reach the top of the Tower, if so, what would you like him to find there?

Thanks for playing Folken, I will paste the entire challenge in the first post :thumbsup:

turtlex
10-23-2010, 04:47 AM

Oh, good question. Roland, Oy, Susannah and Eddie.

Yes, and peace.

Jean
10-23-2010, 10:15 AM
19. Do you believe Roland will ever reach the top of the Tower <...>
No.

candy
10-23-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks for playing Folken, I will paste the entire challenge in the first post :thumbsup:

Firstly, thank you Lisey for your wonderful threads that really get me thinking and remembering:huglove:

In regards to Roland and his damn tower, i hope so i really do, or its all so pointless (to much like real life:borg:)

RainInSpain
10-23-2010, 11:10 AM

As much as I want him to, NO, I don't think he will.

pathoftheturtle
10-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Define "any," please.

Any characters from the entire DT series :)Define "entire DT series," please. :lol: Sorry. :pullhair:
19. Do you believe Roland will ever reach the top of the Tower, if so, what would you like him to find there?Revelations.
Thanks for playing Folken, I will paste the entire challenge in the first post :thumbsup:Thanks for hosting! :)

John Blaze
10-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Define "any," please.

Any characters from the entire DT series :)

i think he is in the Tower. Inside it.

Lisey Landon
10-24-2010, 02:46 AM
You're all most welcome, my friends :grouphug:

John Blaze
10-24-2010, 05:38 AM
You're all most welcome, my friends :grouphug:
:D :couple:

maerlyns_rainbow
10-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Will Roland ever reach the top of the Tower and what will he find:
I believe he will, and although I want to hope he finds all his friends waiting for him there, I'm just not sure what he will find.

Great game!!!!

alkanto
10-24-2010, 02:45 PM

I really cannot say with any certainty, but I'd like to think he eventually gets it right, one of these times.

As for what he finds? If he ever does reach his goal, he will find what he wants to find. I don't know what that it....I don't think anybody does. It will bring him happiness, and rest for his soul. That's the only thing this poor man needs.....

pathoftheturtle
10-24-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm not so sure he'll find what he wants, but don't you think that he knows what that is, if no one else?

alkanto
10-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes, I assumed he did. What I meant by saying that no one knows, is that we cannot guess what Roland wants to find, because only he knows it. And he certainly it's telling anyone.

But, at the same time, does anyone really know what they want, truly? I know there are times when I have no idea. I know what it is when I find it, but it is often not what I thought I wanted.

pathoftheturtle
10-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Sometimes some do, yes. I'm certain enough of that. You're right that it can be pretty complicated, though.
I don't remember Roland ever actually refusing to talk about the Tower. I think we might indeed be able to guess what he wants to find, or at least what he hopes to find... but not without a pretty full thread.

Girlystevedave
10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I do think he will reach the top of the tower. As far as what I'd want him to find there: I have no idea. Hell, when I read the series, I couldn't even come up with the "perfect" ending in my head.
I guess my closest answer would be what someone else posted: Peace.

pathoftheturtle
10-24-2010, 06:38 PM
It's not just his life, it's his world. Remember when Roland reacted to Rando's claim that the land would heal and Susannah thought, "Maybe he does know how to win."? I think he really cares about so much, his perfect ending is more than man can do. They've lost a Supreme magic. He'll have no peace unless he finds God.

NickP
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Way too many great characters to pick one favorite.
Flagg. Very mysterious, and his palaver with Roland in the first book raised many interesting questions.
Cuthbert Allgood
Oy
Can'-Ka No Rey
6. Most memorable quote.
"Go, then. There are other worlds than this." --Jake Chambers
7. Best fight scene.
Jake and Callahan vs. everyone at the Dixie Pig
8. Favourite romance.
Eddie and Susannah
John Cullum.
Maturin
The last one.
I can't recall some of my favorites at the moment, so I'll just say when Roland finally reaches the foot of the Tower.
17. Saddest moment.
Sooo many. The death of Roland's mother, Eddie, Jake, and Oy. Or when you find out at the end that Roland's journey will have to be repeated all over again.
Roland, Eddie, Oy, Callahan.
Yes. I hope he finds the door to the "Clearing at the end of the path" and is reunited with all of his old friends, family members, and ka-mates.

Jean
07-02-2013, 06:56 AM
7. Best fight scene.
Jake and Callahan vs. everyone at the Dixie Pig
8. Favourite romance.
Eddie and Susannah
<...>
Roland, Eddie, Oy, Callahan
<...>
Yes. I hope he finds the door to the "Clearing at the end of the path" <...>
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)

Steve
07-09-2013, 10:19 AM
It's actually changed. When I first read the series, it was Roland. My second and third read-throughs, Eddie. Now, I think I've settled on Susannah.

Randall Flagg. Without a doubt. How could you not love the Walkin' Dude?

Cuthbert Allgood, all day, every day, twice on Sundays. Alain's great as well. Never much cared for Susan as a ka-tet member. And young Roland was kind of a ditz.

Billy-bumblers. I would love one.

Oh, for my eyes to gaze upon Gilead.

6. Most memorable quote.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

7. Best fight scene.
Roland versus Cort.

8. Favourite romance.
Eddie Dean and Susannah.

Patrick Danville. There's so much there that could've been done.

The Turtle of enormous girth.

Captain Trips-ravaged wasteland in "Wizard and Glass."

At the top of the Tower. That's what Roland would find there.

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower.

I was kinda hoping we'd see the Losers or Mother Abagail.

Who else but Michael Whelan.

The Riddle Contest.

17. Saddest moment.
"I say thank you, Oy."

Cuthbert, Susannah, Alain, Oy.

Yes. Hopefully, a better antagonist than "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Jean
07-09-2013, 11:00 AM
It's actually changed. When I first read the series, it was Roland. My second and third read-throughs, Eddie. Now, I think I've settled on Susannah.
at last

I mean both your choice and the fact that you're posting

Steve
07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
I've always loved Susannah, but I never cared for the direction her character was taken in Books 5 and 6. But her arc is so beautifully rendered in the seventh that it makes up for it. And in my latest re-read, I found her character to stand out (no pun intended) more than the others.

Jean
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)

come to the Castle and tell me all about your life in those last years

Jacqui
05-16-2014, 02:25 AM

Roland. My reasoning is the same reasoning I have for Harry Potter being my favourite character from that series, because if there wasn't a Roland, there wouldn't be a story.

Marten et al, for the same reason.

Apart from Roland? Yikes, that's too difficult to choose. Don't make me choose...

Oy. Oy is amazing.

River Crossing. I don't know why, I just like the place

6. Most memorable quote.

This is Jake, who lived well, loved his own, and died as ka would have it.
Each man owes a death. This is Jake. Give him peace.”

7. Best fight scene.

Jake's and Eddie's in Song of Susannah

8. Favourite romance.

Eddie and Susannah

Aunt Talitha. I thought she was pretty cool.

Shardik

When they find themselves in Kansas in a Stand-like world.

Oh, I dunno. I expected him to live forever I guess.

I'm not sure, because I kinda listened to them all in bulk, and I can't wait til I find all of the books, and I'll bulk read them too.

I actually hoped to see Stu and Frannie from The Stand, and the guy from the end of Cell- it just seemed like those worlds had moved on, and seeing them would have justified my thoughts.

Umm...I'm really stuck on this one

When Jake gets Drawn

17. Saddest moment.

I thought that losing Eddie, Jake and Oy so close together was devastating

Can I take Roland, Jamie and Susannah, please?

I'd like to think that he will reach the top. As to what he'll find there...happiness, perhaps? I'm not sure.

Girlystevedave
05-16-2014, 06:48 AM
17. Saddest moment.

I thought that losing Eddie, Jake and Oy so close together was devastating

Yes. It was a hard punch to the heart. I remember reading that last book was such a scary experience for me. All the characters I loved were dying off one by one, and I felt like Stephen King was just breaking my heart. :(

Jean
05-17-2014, 05:20 AM

River Crossing. I don't know why, I just like the place
I answered the same. Probably because it's a place where humanity and dignity were preserved inspite of everything.

7. Best fight scene.

Jake's and Eddie's in Song of Susannah
yes, bears adore it, too!!

8. Favourite romance.

Eddie and Susannah
totally

Aunt Talitha. I thought she was pretty cool.

Shardik
bears appreciate! (and even though aunt Talitha wasn't ursine, she is still one of the characters especially loved by bears)

Can I take Roland, Jamie and Susannah, please?
YES YOU CAN!!! it's so rare that people appreciate Susannah, bears' favorite character!

I think you might be ursine.

Deaf&Dumb
05-21-2014, 09:16 AM
It's a toss up between Eddie and Roland for me. Eddie, because I relate to his pre-gunslinger life. Roland, well Roland's a badass, we all know that.

I have to go with Flagg. The Stand was the first SK book I read, and I've always "had a thing" for him since then.

Seeing as I am into Eddie as much as I am, it should come as no surprise that Cuthbert Allgood is my final answer.

Oy. Simply put I'm an animal lover and Oy seems like he'd fit well with my 5 dogs.

I couldn't pick just one, but Lud, and Calla Bryn Sturgis come to mind right away.

6. Most memorable quote.
“We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt. And in the end, we will stand.” Roland.....in DotT(I think)

7. Best fight scene.
I wouldn't say it's the best but it's my favorite, the massacre at Tull. Pretty much sets the bar for Rolands badassery.

8. Favourite romance.
Mr & Mrs Dean

Does Shardik count as a background character? I could read a book or two of the rumblings and grumblings of a bear beam guardian.

10. Which Beam Guardian were you most drawn to?
See above.

I loved it when the ka-tet came across the newspaper that had the headline about Captain Trips.

I liked it, thought it was well deserved.

Every book after The Gunslinger honestly. I had no clue what I was getting into when I started book I, so when I finished it, I immediately read the books as quickly as I could.

After the Captain Trips newspaper, I was hoping for an appearance of Nick, or even Harold.

I really couldn't say. I don't like to look too much at the art while I read. It messes up the characters or places I've built in my mind.

Oh, man. Without putting much thought into it, I would have to say when Roland makes it to the Tower finally.

17. Saddest moment.
Death of Eddie had me in tears.

18. If you could pick (up to) any 4 characters to be in your ka-tet, who would you choose?
I would take a 10 fingered Roland, both Mr and Mrs Dean, and Jake...............yeah, real original I know. Why fix what isn't broken?

I like to think that he'll end his quest, but I don't believe he ever truly will.

SDZald
08-06-2014, 01:27 PM

No doubts here for me, Roland

The easy answer is Flagg but I see Flagg as a non-person, just part of the universe. So I will go with Rhea of the Cöos, that woman was just plain evil and knew it.

Cuthbert Allgood and his trusty sidekick “The Lookout”

Hands down Oy, with honorable mention to David and Zoltan.

This is a hard one considering how vast a universe it is. So I will go with Lud and leave it at that.

6. Most memorable quote.

Roland “Ka.”
Eddie “Ka Ka”

7. Best fight scene.

Another tough one since there were so many good fight scenes. Algul Siento

8. Favourite romance.

Eddie and Susannah

Brown and Zoltan, Cort comes in a close second.

The Bear Shardik

Father Donald Frank Callahan

King is a great writer and needs NO advice from me. However you asked so, dissatisfied
would be putting it mildly. As one post mentioned God with a nuke couldn’t even kill him so
how the heck did a punk kid do it so easily???? Flagg is part of the universe as much as
gravity is, he should of just ‘escaped’ to another when and another where. In all the books
in the all of the series it was the only time I thought “Come on King you are better then that.”

All of them, I was hooked after “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.”

There weren’t enough already?

All of them, I loved the art from every book.

When Susannah leaves Roland and joins Ediie, Jake and Oy.

17. Saddest moment.

I have maybe cried 3 times in my adult life, a little over 40 years. I am a very emotional person but I see crying as something very personal and keep it to myself, but I have to admit I openly wept when Eddie dies. I knew I really liked his character but didn’t know how much until that moment.

Oh the Nineteenth question. Roland, Callahan, Eddie and Oy.

No and he shouldn’t. His quest was to save the Tower not enter it. His punishment for doing so was the one thing that would hurt him the most, having to do it again. Yet it was also his reward for saving the Tower, his salvation. This time around with the aid of the horn he discovers the Tower is already saved and he will find a way to join Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy at the same scene mentioned in my answer to question 17.

Nastasya79
08-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Favorite protagonist...either Jake or Roland. I change my mind many times. Roland because I understand his jaded outlook on life and the resigned understanding that whoever he pulls into his life he will hurt, but he HAS to pull them into his life, because that is his 'destiny.' His undying devotion to finding the Dark Tower is questionable, but admirable. I feel his pain when he watches those around him die.
I think some people are just magnets of fate, and Roland will always be chasing his white rabbit.
Jake is also a favorite because...blaine IS a pain. And I hurt right along with him when his mentor let him fall.
I think we all have unconditionally loved someone or something that we knew would be our end, but it the end, love is

Jon
08-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Jaded...I read "The Gunslinger In 1984!

Then I waited!!

Girlystevedave
09-03-2014, 05:13 AM
I love reading these posts. :)

Merlin1958
09-03-2014, 10:44 PM

Then I waited!!

Amen, Brother!!! I too enjoy the more recent readers who get to have read them as they have all been released. Interesting opinions and views.

SDzald: 12. If you were dissatisfied with Flagg's demise, how would you have liked him to go out?

King is a great writer and needs NO advice from me. However you asked so, dissatisfied
would be putting it mildly. As one post mentioned God with a nuke couldn’t even kill him so
how the heck did a punk kid do it so easily???? Flagg is part of the universe as much as
gravity is, he should of just ‘escaped’ to another when and another where. In all the books
in the all of the series it was the only time I thought “Come on King you are better then that.”

How do you know he didn't as in "The Stand"? I always thought that "Flagg" was a sort of mercenary, only aligned with the CK because it suited him at the time. A "Wild Card" if you will.

stroppygoblin
09-05-2014, 06:53 AM

Then I waited!!

Amen, Brother!!! I too enjoy the more recent readers who get to have read them as they have all been released. Interesting opinions and views.

SDzald: 12. If you were dissatisfied with Flagg's demise, how would you have liked him to go out?

How do you know he didn't as in "The Stand"? I always thought that "Flagg" was a sort of mercenary, only aligned with the CK because it suited him at the time. A "Wild Card" if you will.

I dont think the timelines fit. According to this passage from DT VII, Flagg had already lived through The Stand's timeline (This quote could have referenced some other world however...)

"From his gunna the man who sometimes called himself Flagg (on another level of the Tower, he had brought an entire world to ruin under that name) had taken peanut butter and crackers."

Edit: YAY! my 2000th Post!

Jon
09-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Peanut butter and crackers but nothing to drink? a real survivor!

Zurov
02-01-2015, 02:04 AM
I'd have to say Jake and Oy, but that is not an easy choice. Poor kid can never catch a break, but oy is with him regardless of everything

Jamie Vultrille
06-10-2015, 12:06 AM
Cuthbert, because he died laughing, which is the next best thing to dying in your sleep. That and because he wore a rook skull for a lookout.

Flagg. He's the DT analogue for the Joker. Anarchists forever.

Cuthbert. Again. Aileen, as she in the original edition of the Gunslinger, comes in second.

Throcken. Especially Oy. There's a slang word in Bavaria that rhymes with Throcken but I don't know if I should swear in here.

Lud, the Anarchist's Paradise.

6. Most memorable quote.
"I will show you a wonder."--Walter in The Gunslinger

7. Best fight scene.
A tie between the gunning down of Tull and the battle of Jericho Hill. Epic and intimate at the same time.

8. Favourite romance.
Roland and Aileen, circa '84.

Shardik, the ursine cyborg guardian. And his freunden, all eleven of them.

10. Which Beam Guardian were you most drawn to?
Centzontotochtin, the Hare. Rabbit gods are twice as horny as mortal ones.

When they walked into Standland in Wizard and Glass.

Not exactly dissatisfied, because the Flagg that died in DT7 was just one of many. But if I had a say, he probably wouldn't be killed by a teary-eyed spider baby.

The original Gunslinger. So far, it's still waiting for its own six books. Its a different story altogether, and more ambitious.

Speedy.

Michael Whelan.

The palaver at the Golgotha, circa '84.

17. Saddest moment.
Roland remembering Cuthbert's death in Jericho Hill.

18. If you could pick (up to) any 4 characters to be in your ka-tet, who would you choose?
Old ka-tet plus new ka-tet. That would be the ka-tet of all ka-tets.

Yes, because he gets to blow the horn now, not rely on the roses (universes) to blow theirs for him. It's a rite of passage, a symbol of his bloodline. As for what I hope he would find? A door to a life, just one last, peaceful, ordinary life from rebirth to death, with versions of his friends in it. One life without his (singular) burden, and then the clearing.

Xerrand
06-18-2015, 05:19 AM
Roland, I know that's not very original :P but meh it's the truth. He never gives up, he goes to the end of the earth to achieve his goals, and he's just an all around bad ass character. I also love his back story.
Flagg, he's been around for so long and although he didn't play an overly big role in the majority of the DT book, I still found him incredibly interesting and cool. Every time he did make an appearance, he stole the scene.
Cuthbert for the win here! He was basically Eddy Dean though to be fair.
Bumbler. Nuff said
Can ka no rey, the image of it is just so haunting and beautiful.
6. Most memorable quote.
"If we don't stand and be true we'll never get within 1000 miles of the tower. Do you doubt it?"
7. Best fight scene.
Attack on Blue Heaven.
8. Favourite romance.
Roland and Susan
Flaherty, the hume who chased Jake beneath the Dixie pig. He seemed interesting and somewhat psychopathic - would have liked to hear a little more from him.
Bear
Pere Callahan!!
He showed have faced Roland again and come up short, I'm not sure I would really like to see Roland killing him outright either though, but it would be a lot more preferable than being killed by Mordred!!!
Book 7 - I did not know it would break my heart at the time
I hoped that one or more of the characters from IT might make an appearance.
Michael Whelan
Probably when they attack Blue Heaven, that was an amazing moment.
17. Saddest moment.
The death of Jake.....but really there's a lot to choose from here, its difficult to pick one. This moment stuck out to me the most because of the sorrow of Roland and Oy I think
Roland, Eddy, Cuthbert, and probably Patrick Danville. His magic could come in quite handy traversing worlds.
No, I don't think he's meant to reach the top of the tower. The point of the tower is to renounce it - I believe he is meant to free the breakers, and save King - after that he should go with Susannah through the unfound door and live the rest of his life in peace with his new family. The Tower is just a huge living testament to every mistake he ever made in his life and reaching it is his mistake. I think that's why the Tower always sends him back, because it's the greatest/only true gift that Gan can give him. A chance to do things right this time.

Girlystevedave
06-24-2015, 05:06 AM
Cuthbert, because he died laughing, which is the next best thing to dying in your sleep. That and because he wore a rook skull for a lookout.

Throcken. Especially Oy. There's a slang word in Bavaria that rhymes with Throcken but I don't know if I should swear in here.

The original Gunslinger. So far, it's still waiting for its own six books. Its a different story altogether, and more ambitious.

Yes, because he gets to blow the horn now, not rely on the roses (universes) to blow theirs for him. It's a rite of passage, a symbol of his bloodline. As for what I hope he would find? A door to a life, just one last, peaceful, ordinary life from rebirth to death, with versions of his friends in it. One life without his (singular) burden, and then the clearing.

1. "Cuthbert, because he died laughing, which is the next best thing to dying in your sleep." :thumbsup: That's beautiful, man.

4. I think that swearing in here is always okay. :lol:

13. I'm a bit confused by what you mean...Are you saying that you prefer the original version as opposed to the revised?

14. I like the thought of Roland getting one last shot at a peaceful, ordinary life. :)

Girlystevedave
06-24-2015, 05:13 AM
Roland, I know that's not very original :P but meh it's the truth. He never gives up, he goes to the end of the earth to achieve his goals, and he's just an all around bad ass character. I also love his back story.

Cuthbert for the win here! He was basically Eddy Dean though to be fair.

Book 7 - I did not know it would break my heart at the time

17. Saddest moment.
The death of Jake.....but really there's a lot to choose from here, its difficult to pick one. This moment stuck out to me the most because of the sorrow of Roland and Oy I think

No, I don't think he's meant to reach the top of the tower. The point of the tower is to renounce it - I believe he is meant to free the breakers, and save King - after that he should go with Susannah through the unfound door and live the rest of his life in peace with his new family. The Tower is just a huge living testament to every mistake he ever made in his life and reaching it is his mistake. I think that's why the Tower always sends him back, because it's the greatest/only true gift that Gan can give him. A chance to do things right this time.

1. Maybe it's not original, but it's true! He's a badass. To be honest, Roland has (unintentionally) become the character to which I compare all other "strong" characters to. He's a beast!

3. Yes! Cuthbert for sure.

13. Most heartbreaking book I've ever read. When I read it, I felt like it was just stomping on my heart over and over until it crushed all emotion from it. :lol:

19. He is a Tower Junkie.