PDA

View Full Version : Recommended TV we SHOULD be watching

DoctorDodge
09-25-2010, 07:37 AM
This will probably get merged with the general tv discussion thread, but I'd thought it'd be interesting to have a thread for recommending good tv shows that we either know nothing about or just haven't grabbed our interest. There's so much tv to be skeptical of these days, especially with the constant risk of cancellation hanging over the best ones, that it's hard to be interested in any telly at all really.

So guys, is there any shows we should be watching? Discovered a show that's actually a lot better than it looked on an advert? Any old tv shows we should be catching up on netflix (or other means...)? What tv shows are we missing right now that we really should be watching, and most importantly, why? No spoilers please, unless tagged, at least!

(I think everyone knows which show I'd recommend, at least to people outside the UK, but I won't do that for another week, at least. I need time to assemble my mega review on why it's so brilliant, after all! :evil:)

Ricky
09-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Nice thread, DD. :thumbsup:

As far as comedies go, I'd highly recommend The Big Bang Theory. One of most hysterical and smart shows on TV right now!

DoctorDodge
09-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Now there's a good example, Ricky! Only watched one ep of that, but only because it keeps slipping my mind. I need to remember to watch that though, it's probably the 2nd geekiest comedy i've watched!

"Stop giggling." "It's not me, it's my Joker ringtone." "Well turn it off, it's creeping me out!" "It creeps me out too, but i paid 3 bucks for it!" :lol:

Ricky
09-25-2010, 08:13 AM
:lol:

The premiere was really good the other night. You should check it out if you get a chance.

nt07077
09-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I recommend The Wire, Lost, and this new show on HBO called Boardwalk Empire.

DoctorDodge
09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
So, you’ve heard of Doctor Who, and you may have heard great things about it, but you don’t know what it’s about? Not sure where to begin? Or – and this is probably the most likely option – it just doesn’t sound very good? Can’t really see the appeal of a silly show about a man who travels around time and space in a tiny blue box?

Well, this is what this mega-long recommendation is for: to show you, without any spoilers, why you really, really should’ve watched this show by now, judging it not as a continuation of the original series or even just as science fiction, but as an original drama in its own right.

So where to begin? Well, the first episode, and your likely reaction to it. If you do decide to check out the first episode, the most likely thing you’ll think of is, “Well, it’s ok, but I still don’t see what the hype is all about.” It’s because the first episode doesn’t begin big or completely shrouded in mystery: it’s main aim is just to reintroduce the character of the Doctor to a brand new audience and start out small to bring the young fans on board. I’m not gonna say too much about it but I will give a quick summary of how this all begins.

Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) is a normal 19 year old girl. She works every day in a shop, lives with her mum, and is making do with loyal (but pretty useless) boyfriend Mickey. So far, so average.

That is, until she meets the Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and her life changes forever.

Ah, the Doctor. The best thing about the show, really. Smart, funny, bonkers, and occasionally just a little bit fallible, the Doctor is someone who seems to love fun and goes looking for danger for the sheer thrill of it, who generally appears to be a light hearted guy who likes everyone and everything. But as the show goes on, it’s clear that there’s more to him than that. He’s a man who’s been through a lot, a man who’s battle scarred and vulnerable, someone who can be incredibly dangerous with a much darker side if you decide to threaten innocent life and cross him. More than that, he’s a constant traveller who’s lonely and genuinely needs someone.

Enter Rose, who unsurprisingly jumps on board his ship the TARDIS and journeys with him to have adventures. And Rose is half of what this series is about. In the beginning, it’s easy for her to join because there seemed to be nothing better for her on Earth, but as time goes on we see how her decision affects not only her and the Doctor but also her family and the people she cares about back home. What starts out as a fun little adventure becomes something that changes her forever, as over 13 episodes she faces not just dark horrors and evil tyrants, but also the dangers of time travel, the disastrous consequences of both hers and the Doctor’s mistakes and just how much she'll sacrifice to always journey with the Doctor.

It’s not just the characters that make the show worth it, though. It’s the variety it has that most shows are lacking: one week, an alien invasion story set in modern day London; the next, a creature feature set in the far future; the next, a Victorian ghost story. And yep, before you ask, those really are just the first 3 episodes. Combined with the massive amount of character development that both the main (and even the recurring) characters go through, the series has a truly epic feel to it, a story that stretches across billions of years in a ton of environments. Not only that, but even the very tone of the show can radically change from week to week: going from comedy to horror to serious drama every week, you can’t exactly accuse the show of being too formulaic.

If I were to select highlights of the show from the first series (and nearly all of them are pretty good, but these are the ones that stand out):

Dalek: working perfectly as both a stand alone episode that you can just jump on board with and one that it’s incredibly important to the development of both the series and the characters, it’s essentially a classic “base under siege” story, a brilliant scifi action thriller in just 45 minutes. Worth watching just for one of Eccleston’s best performances in the role, as we see a dangerous side to the Doctor that we’ve never seen before. An all time classic.
The Empty Child: and another all time classic, but for completely different reasons. A dark and scary horror, a wonderfully witty drama, and a brilliantly clever scifi all rolled into one. Steven Moffat’s first episode for Doctor Who. When you see this episode along with The Doctor Dances, you won’t be surprised to find out that it’s far from his last.
The Parting of the Ways: the season finale. Continuing off a story from the previous episode that began as something of a satire and went into dark, emotional territory, this episode kicks off from the ground running and doesn’t stop for one second. It’s got it all: an epic battle, dark drama, a high body count, loss, sacrifice, and more than a few truly surprising and even shocking moments, this is one of the best finales out there. Compare this to first episode “Rose” and it’s easy to see just how much the show has changed in such a short time. Not to mention the final overwhelmingly emotional minutes where…well, I’m not gonna spoil it for you, but I’ll just say this: you’ll know for a fact that when the credits start rolling, nothing will ever be the same again.

So that’s Doctor Who: versatile, epic, dramatic, and quite possibly one of the best shows made in the past five years that can be enjoyed by anyone, adults and children alike. And that’s just the first series! So now the question to ask yourself is: why haven’t you watched it yet?

alkanto
09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
I really recommend Supernatural, on the CW.

It is a story about two brothers who were raised to hunt the evil ghosts, demons, and other nasties as they drive an amazing 1967 Chevy Impala. It's more than that, at its core, however. The show really does a really good job of exploring the brother relationship in their incredibly unique way. Both parts are good, and as the seasons progress, they get caught up in a fight that is much bigger than they could have ever imagined.

The most impressive part is that Sam and Dean - the two brothers - are the only main cast roles, so the pure amount of work that goes into the show...it's incredible. And the acting...also great.

The sixth season just started, and it's okay...I really suggest starting way at the beginning, as there are pretty solid myth arcs each season. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't watch any episode out of order, but some deal exclusively with the myth arc. Most you can still understand without prior knowledge, but it really helps sometimes.

Mattrick
09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Battlestar Galactica: Just, watch it. Now. It's fantastic.

In Treatment: Seriously the best tv show no one really watches. Best acting on television from everyone. Best dialogue as well. Gabriel Byrne is incredible. Standout performances from; Hope Davis, Blair Underwood, Mia Wasikowa, Melissa George, Alison Pill, John Mahoney and Diane Wiest.

The Big C: Watched the premire on IMDB. Stars Laura Linney and Oliver Platt. I don't get Showtime so I can't watch it. Premiere was good, I'd like to give it a look.

then the two greatest of all time:

Six Feet Under: This show is pure art. Never has a television show been as thought provoking, beautiful and sad and so real and down to earth. IMO, Greatest show ever.

The Sopranos: It's just a great show. It never loses steam. I loved every episode.

I'm looking forward to watching:
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Big Love
True Blood

Iwritecode
09-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Pawn Stars. It's a grandfather, father and son all working together at a pawn shop in Las Vegas. People bring in some interesting things and they actually explain the history of a lot of the stuff.

Sons of Anarchy - If nothing else because SK was a guest star last week. :thumbsup:

DoctorDodge
10-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Warehouse 13. It's certainly a show that, like Eureka, I should be watching more often, at least! Not only is it a heap of fun, but Claudia's awesome. Hot yet geeky and with really great hair? Winning combination for me! :drool:

Also, caught the 13.1 ep the other night where Fargo from Eureka shows up, and now I have a new pair to ship! Honestly, I have never seen two characters with such chemistry before! The fact that they're just as awesome together in real life helps, too:

YouTube - Eureka/Warehouse 13 Crossover - Allison & Neil Like Peas & Carrots

Now I really wish I caught the crossover ep on Eureka when it was on in the UK weeks ago!

sleeplessdwarf
10-22-2010, 09:38 PM
SoA for sure.

When The Walking Dead pilots, I would suggest it. Caught the first episode earlier and it looks like a series with promise.

candy
10-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Warehouse 13. It's certainly a show that, like Eureka, I should be watching more often, at least! Not only is it a heap of fun, but Claudia's awesome. Hot yet geeky and with really great hair? Winning combination for me! :drool:

Also, caught the 13.1 ep the other night where Fargo from Eureka shows up, and now I have a new pair to ship! Honestly, I have never seen two characters with such chemistry before! The fact that they're just as awesome together in real life helps, too:

YouTube - Eureka/Warehouse 13 Crossover - Allison & Neil Like Peas & Carrots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5CmMbBrCs&NR=1)

Now I really wish I caught the crossover ep on Eureka when it was on in the UK weeks ago!

I tried W13, i really really did. But it just didnt grab me, i may try and give it another try, but i am looking at all the other stuff coming on tv. I did catch the cross over with Claudia into Eureka and wasn't impressed, they had chemistry - but the whole point of fargo is he is supposed to not have any chemistry. I don't deny they did it well and it still made a funny little story, but its just me and my geekiness coming through **shrugs**

Now Eureka I highly recomend,

US Marshall is transporting a prisoner his own daughter
across country. When he stumbles across a small town full of bonkers boffins. He ends up taking over the position of sheriff when an experiment goes wrong and the current sherif has to retire.

Despite not being a genius, which is constantly thrown in his face by certain people, his way with people and his common sense often save the day when the bonkers boffins go to far with their experiments

if a bag full of fun, and doesn't take itself too seriously. For any fellow geek it is an hour of heaven television.

Mattrick
10-23-2010, 02:57 AM
After re-watching In Treatment again and waiting for Monday's season premiere...everyone on this site who loves quality writing and acting should watch it IMMEDIATELY. It's simply an amazing show, it truly is. Now while I haven't seen Breaking Bad yet...Cranston must pull some crazy acting skills out to be better than Gabriel Byrne in this, because he is just awesome.

LadyHitchhiker
10-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Fringe
Warehouse 13
Eureka
The Event
Not An Ordinary Family

These are all shows I watch I think everyone else should be watching!!!!!

haunted.lunchbox
10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Twin Peaks is a show that was on I believe two decades ago, but I purchased it recently because it was the only thing that beat out Lost on a poll... and it was really good. For its time it must have been super creepy, I really liked it and highly recommend it.

I also recommend Jericho! I love survival movies/shows.

And finally, Outsourced is an AWESOME new comedy. Anyone that has ever worked in a call center can appreciate it.

DoctorDodge
10-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I've seen a couple of Twin Peaks, and I loved it, but the music was slightly ruined for me by the fact that I've watched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace first. If anyone loved those old cheesy 80s shows that were badly made and badly acted, then Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is one of the funniest shows you'll watch. Shame they only did 6 eps, but still worth checking out.

Oh, and for another show you should be watching, especially if you're in the US: Sherlock. Only 3 eps done for its first series, but each 90-minute ep is better and classier than most 20-ep shows you'll see this year. One's already been broadcast in the US, just 2 to go. Don't miss those!

haunted.lunchbox
10-26-2010, 05:52 AM
I've seen a couple of Twin Peaks, and I loved it, but the music was slightly ruined for me by the fact that I've watched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace first. If anyone loved those old cheesy 80s shows that were badly made and badly acted, then Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is one of the funniest shows you'll watch. Shame they only did 6 eps, but still worth checking out.

Oh, and for another show you should be watching, especially if you're in the US: Sherlock. Only 3 eps done for its first series, but each 90-minute ep is better and classier than most 20-ep shows you'll see this year. One's already been broadcast in the US, just 2 to go. Don't miss those!

I promise if you watch Twin Peaks without spoilers it's awesome for the first season, and half the second. Haven't heard of Darkplace?
I've also never heard of Sherlock. What network carries it?
Has anyone watched The Haven? I want to start watching it but need to know if it is worth it.

DoctorDodge
10-26-2010, 09:59 AM
PBS Masterpiece is currently showing Sherlock in the US. It was pretty big when it was shown over here in the UK by the BBC. It's Sherlock Holmes, but this time set in modern day, so by rights it should really, really suck. Instead, it's one of the best new shows of the year.

And I intend to watch all I can of Twin Peaks. My mate's got a complete set, so I expect i'll watch that sometime. I think you can watch Darkplace on hulu.com or the adult swim website, btw. Very good parody of all those cheesy 80s hospital dramas/horror shows.

Brainslinger
11-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I loved Dark Place. I've got it on DVD. It's very silly stuff but it works because it's so silly. Considering Kingdom Hospital, and the Horror writer character (who stars in the main role. It's a fiction within a fiction, so to speak,) I wonder if Stephen King would get a kick out of it.

I've seen episodes of Twin Peaks but not that many. I'd like to watch them from beginning to end. I've been spoiled somewhat of the ending (I have seen the last episode...or at least one of the later ones) and I've read stuff on the net, but I'm sure I'd still enjoy the journey.

It was one of those things that I wasn't sure of to start with but I found that sense of weirdness appealing.

Another great UK TV series I would recommend is Psychoville. It's basically a kind of dark comedy with weird odd-ball characters with a touch of horror mixed in. The first series premiered earlier this year.

There was also Halloween special on yesterday which was basically a set of short stories surrounding the characters in an Amicus style. It wasn't as scary as I'd have liked but it was good. Series 2 premieres soon.

The guys who wrote and act in it are two of the people behind The League of Gentlemen. Another group of series I'd recommend for their blend of comedy and horror. It's very much an acquired taste, but I largely like it.

LadyHitchhiker
11-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Jericho. Good choice!

If we're going to talk about older ones, here's a few great ones:

Seaquest
Threshold
Earth 2
Whose Line is it Anyways? (British and American versions)

Heather19
11-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Jericho. Good choice!

If we're going to talk about older ones, here's a few great ones:

Seaquest
Threshold
Earth 2
Whose Line is it Anyways? (British and American versions)

I know we've discussed this before, but I love Seaquest! You're still the only person I know, that has even heard of the show, let alone watched it. I heard rumors way back that they would release the final season on dvd, yet never saw anything come of it. Oh, and Earth 2, that's another good one :thumbsup:

I'd also highly recommend Twin Peaks. It's one of my personal favorites.

Ricky
11-03-2010, 11:10 AM

This has been in my Netflix queue since I've heard you talk about it.

Heather19
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

This has been in my Netflix queue since I've heard you talk about it.

You should move it to the top ;)

Ricky
11-03-2010, 11:16 AM
It is at the top...right after Scream 3 and season 1 of Dexter. You do realize that a good portion of my queue is stuff that you've recommended, right? :lol:

I might switch Twin Peaks in front of Dexter since it's not on the air anymore.

Heather19
11-03-2010, 11:21 AM
:lol: Is it really? :couple:

I'd bump it up above Dexter, it's only 2 seasons, so you should get through it pretty quickly. And I still need to get caught up on Dexter. I've only seen the first season so far.

Ricky
11-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I thought I saw that it was fairly short so I'll probably end up watching it sooner.

LadyHitchhiker
11-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Yep Seaquest 2032 is on Netflix which totally torks me off, because I have the first two seasons on dvd and I don't have netflix, so I can only watch episodes of seaquest 2032 if I go to my mom's house. Raaar...

Mattrick
11-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Sealab was alright. I loved 12 Oz. Mouse but they don't air it anymore

EDIT - confused sequest with the Adult Swim cartoon Sealab 2032.

mystima
11-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I used to watch Warehouse 13 too. To me it reminded me of a comedic version of Friday the 13th the series. looking for objects that caused stuff to happen and whatnot...I didn't want to see the same thing over and over again.

candy
11-06-2010, 03:33 AM
I used to watch Warehouse 13 too. To me it reminded me of a comedic version of Friday the 13th the series. looking for objects that caused stuff to happen and whatnot...I didn't want to see the same thing over and over again.

:thumbsup:

alinda
11-06-2010, 03:36 AM
so any recomendations ?....I have netflix btw:couple:

alinda
11-06-2010, 03:36 AM
*waves* Hi candy are you here too? *dances*

candy
11-06-2010, 05:50 AM
i am now :couple:

alinda
11-06-2010, 06:32 AM
So....what we watching? I am watching an old movie HEAT with Al pachino & Bobby DeNiro, pretty slick.:wtf:

DoctorDodge
11-06-2010, 06:49 AM
My series 5 set of Doctor Who arrived earlier, so i'll definitely be watching that later. If you've got netflix now Linda, that means you can catch up on the first four series! I think i heard you mention having watched some of the classic but none of the new? You should get round to changing that, my friend!

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Twin Peaks is a show that was on I believe two decades ago, but I purchased it recently because it was the only thing that beat out Lost on a poll... and it was really good. For its time it must have been super creepy, I really liked it and highly recommend it.

I also recommend Jericho! I love survival movies/shows.

And finally, Outsourced is an AWESOME new comedy. Anyone that has ever worked in a call center can appreciate it.

Twin Peaks has been on our queue forever and I think its time its been bumped up!

Why isnt there a Dexter thread? We just found it and are already on season 3 its so fascinating

Ricky
11-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I could've sworn there was a Dexter thread. :orely:

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I thought for sure there would be one since its so popular.

DoctorDodge
11-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Fans of British television, teen dramas and comedy should be aware: Misfits Series Two starts tomorrow!!!! Thought this one needed recommending considering it was one of the most enjoyable shows I watched last year! The idea of showing what happens to "ordinary people" who get superpowers has, let's be honest, been done slightly done to death by now, but what made Misfits work was (a) all the characters were young offenders, and (b) they weren't really interested in saving the world. Well, maybe at the end of the last series, but that was saving all the drunken, drug taking youths from being turned into nice, teetotal christians. That's the closest this group get to "saving the day".

Brits who haven't watched this yet, you really need to get round to it. Especially with how last series ended. Can't wait to see how they're gonna resolve that cliffhanger!

alkanto
11-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Well, you had me at "Fans of British TV..." so I suppose I'm in...adding in to the list :lol:

Seriously...do you have any idea how long this 'list' is? I don't think I'll ever get done!

DoctorDodge
11-10-2010, 04:45 PM
The one thing I will say about Misfits is this: do not watch it with parents or children around! Because the UK definition of "teen series" is this: include as much explicit sex, swearing and any other stuff that would reduce the running time when shown in the US as possible!

Hell, that's one of the reasons why I love it so much! :lol:

alkanto
11-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Hmmm....teen show...yeah

Ours usually equate to "slutty" teens wandering around high school or else never going to class, and sleeping around without ever getting caught, then getting pregnant and confused about how they got pregnant....and then everything works out.

I hate teen shows from the US

DoctorDodge
11-10-2010, 05:13 PM
And this is why I support the tv license over here: we may have to pay to watch any telly, but at least we've got the watershed, the time after 9pm when anything goes, and i mean anything! You gotta love it!

candy
11-14-2010, 03:53 AM
And this is why I support the tv license over here: we may have to pay to watch any telly, but at least we've got the watershed, the time after 9pm when anything goes, and i mean anything! You gotta love it!

start of rant;-
hmmmmm, i disagree with you there doc, i think the pre water shed would be here without the extortionate licence fee that i have to pay on top of my sky subsciption, and that if i dont pay i can go to prison for!!! in fact i would go so far as to say its a bag o F****ng tripe.

don't get me wrong i do agree with the whole watershed thing i just don't agree with the tv licence and dont believe its got anything to do with the watershed as all 5 ananlogue channels subscribe to it
end of rant:rose:
now you can all go back on topic

recomended watching - the walking dead (I cant go into the thread as i am unsure how far in advance you chaps are)

haunted.lunchbox
11-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Outsourced is awesome. It's very much like the office, but not as funny as early office. It's about a call center in India, and it's hilarious because they make use of all these jokes that you can't use in other situations.

DoctorDodge
11-14-2010, 08:25 AM

start of rant;-
hmmmmm, i disagree with you there doc, i think the pre water shed would be here without the extortionate licence fee that i have to pay on top of my sky subsciption, and that if i dont pay i can go to prison for!!! in fact i would go so far as to say its a bag o F****ng tripe.

don't get me wrong i do agree with the whole watershed thing i just don't agree with the tv licence and dont believe its got anything to do with the watershed as all 5 ananlogue channels subscribe to it
end of rant:rose:
now you can all go back on topic

Hmm, you have a point there, candy. I think I'm just glad for the tv license because, whilst 3 of the 5 main channels have adverts, none of them have so many interruptions that for every 2/3 of good programming for an hour, 1/3 of that will be adverts like in America. That's how shows get funding in America. If the tv license means I get to watch BBC programmes without interruption every 5 minutes and shows like Doctor Who get at least some funding without having my viewing experience ruined, then I'll always be in support of it. That's my opinion, though.

alkanto
11-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Outsourced is awesome. It's very much like the office, but not as funny as early office. It's about a call center in India, and it's hilarious because they make use of all these jokes that you can't use in other situations.

You know, I just started catching this after The Office, and it is pretty funny!
I honestly had no expectations for it, but I think that's what helps it. If I had been looking for something on par with The Office or Community, for instance, I would have been sorely disappointed. But it is funny....a lot more than I expected it to be, anyways

haunted.lunchbox
11-14-2010, 10:52 AM

You know, I just started catching this after The Office, and it is pretty funny!
I honestly had no expectations for it, but I think that's what helps it. If I had been looking for something on par with The Office or Community, for instance, I would have been sorely disappointed. But it is funny....a lot more than I expected it to be, anyways

I'm glad someone else likes it! I used to work in a call center so it almost gives me nightmares.... but the humor is awesome.

kluker
11-14-2010, 10:53 AM
I would recommend SGU alot better then I thought I it would be. Big SG1 fan here so I didn't want to watch it but turns out it is almost better then SG1.
I also would recommend Hollwood Treasure that show is actually interesting to watch surprisingly.

kluker
11-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Oh and Primeval 3 don't know if it has aired yet but I'm dying to watch it

candy
11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I would recommend SGU alot better then I thought I it would be. Big SG1 fan here so I didn't want to watch it but turns out it is almost better then SG1.
I also would recommend Hollwood Treasure that show is actually interesting to watch surprisingly.

:cry: it makes me sad that you like Sgu better than SG1. To me it just doesn't have the soul that both SG1 and SGA had, i am unsure if its the intense dislike that i have for a couple of the characters - i mean McKay was an asshole to start with in SGA but as you got to know him you came to like him. There are just no redeeming features with some of these people, and you can't keep that level of hatred without bringing in some humanity. The one thing i can not imagine is O'Neill or Shepherd on these ships. And i know its a different programme but i am supposed to believe they all got trained together and come from the same 'air force family'

If it didn't have the stargate connection i would have stopped watching a while ago, as it is my SG loyalties won't let me stop watching - the one time i was all 'nope defo not going to watch again' bloody daniel jackson puts in a guest spot!!!!!

kluker
11-14-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't like SGU better its almost as good as SG1 all cause of Eli and Geer. SG1 will always be my favorite I haven't gotten to SGA yet on season 6 of SG1

mystima
11-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I have watched the Stargate series since its inception on Showtime and have been a big fan of the shows. SGU can be slow at times but lately it has gotten better, at least I think it has.
On a different note, waiting for the US version of Being Human to start. It starts in January and can't stand the wait! :pullhair: :onfire:

DoctorDodge
11-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I can: too many UK shows have been mucked about by US tv networks that I can't help but feel skeptical about it. The only US remake I can think of that was anywhere near as brilliant as the original is the Office. I will check out the US version of Being Human, but I'm not holding my breath!

alkanto
11-14-2010, 03:41 PM
On a different note, waiting for the US version of Being Human to start. It starts in January and can't stand the wait! :pullhair: :onfire:

There's going to be a US version of Being Human? Why haven't I heard about this before now?

I really wanted to get into the UK version, but never found it, for whatever reason. I'll have to mount a new search...and maybe check the US version out? I just hope I can find the original first, so I have something to compare and contrast with.

DoctorDodge
11-14-2010, 03:52 PM
You haven't watched Being Human yet, alkanto? That one's another brilliant show (something that's seeming to become a regular thing in Britain over the past few years): dark but funny, kinda like Misfits but notsomuch aimed at a teen audience, just adults in general, really. There's still swearing and sex and violence, but not quite as extreme as you got with Misfits!

alkanto
11-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Sadly, no...I was made aware of it earlier this year, and thought it was a really cool concept, but for whatever reason I never followed through.
Of course, now that you have thoroughly addicted me to British televison (meanie...:lol: ) I will have to find it. If I start now, how much do I have to catch up on?

ICry4Oy
11-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I guess I'll give the US version of Being Human a shot. I watched the British one and got bored to death with it about five episodes in.

DoctorDodge
11-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Sadly, no...I was made aware of it earlier this year, and thought it was a really cool concept, but for whatever reason I never followed through.
Of course, now that you have thoroughly addicted me to British televison (meanie...:lol: ) I will have to find it. If I start now, how much do I have to catch up on?

I'd say both of the first 2 series, but that's only a total of 14 episodes so far, so that's not much to catch up on, really.

I guess I'll give the US version of Being Human a shot. I watched the British one and got bored to death with it about five episodes in.

Blasphemer! You can't get bored with it: it's British and it's funny! You can't get bored of something like that! :P

Seriously though, I can understand that. (Barely.) It's not the kind of show that involves epic plots to save the world, it just shows how the supernatural would affect ordinary life, and more importantly how it can relate to ordinary life. And one thing us Brits are really good at is getting the right balance of serious drama and classic comedy out of that kind of story.

mystima
11-14-2010, 06:20 PM

There's going to be a US version of Being Human? Why haven't I heard about this before now?

I really wanted to get into the UK version, but never found it, for whatever reason. I'll have to mount a new search...and maybe check the US version out? I just hope I can find the original first, so I have something to compare and contrast with.

if you get Netflix where you are at you can start there. they have the first "season" or "series" on DVD. That is how i watched it. My sister turned me on to the show. She has BBC America on her satellite so she gets to see it that way.

OchrisO
11-15-2010, 11:17 PM
I love the British Being Human and feel very wary of the American version based on the small tv spots.

I have had trouble getting into the second season of Being Human once they brought all the government stuff in, though.

candy
11-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't like SGU better its almost as good as SG1 all cause of Eli and Geer. SG1 will always be my favorite I haven't gotten to SGA yet on season 6 of SG1

phew:huglove:

I love the British Being Human and feel very wary of the American version based on the small tv spots.

I have had trouble getting into the second season of Being Human once they brought all the government stuff in, though.

i was exactly the same, i watched the special and then the 1st series and then i just wandered away from it

Ruthful
11-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I get Showtime, and loved the first season of the Big C. Laura Linney's one of my favorite actresses, and her and Oliver Platt have some great chemistry. The season finale was brutal, but worth watching.

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I get Showtime, and loved the first season of the Big C. Laura Linney's one of my favorite actresses, and her and Oliver Platt have some great chemistry. The season finale was brutal, but worth watching.

My cousin wholeheartedly recommends this show

DoctorDodge
08-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I needed to bump this thread back up to praise a tv show I have recently bought on dvd and just can't get enough of: political satire The Thick of It. I caught the occasional episode on tv, but watching in order is nothing short of being absolutely brilliant. Whilst it can catch you off guard when you watch it from the beginning, as it starts at breakneck speed and never seems to slow down from there, once you get used to the fast pace, it's hard not to find yourself addicted to this show. The acting, the characters, the direction, the documentary look - all are done to perfection in this. And the swearing - yes, there's a lot of it, to warn the easily offended, but my god, I have never heard it put to such poetic use. It's easy to have swearing to attempt to make a programme look mature when in fact it does exactly the opposite, but here it works - and i'm going to have to use that word again - perfectly.

Oh, and particular praise needs to be given to Peter Capaldi as spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker - not only are his many rants and bollockings hilarious, but he's so perfectly crafted as a character in his own right - manipulative, calculating and quite fucking ruthless at times. My favourite example is how, when a minister decides to disagree with him before going on tv, he very carefully manipulates where the minister is standing in front of a sign so that she is heavily mocked by the press and owes him a favour. Just genius writing, I think, and the look on Capaldi's face is just brilliant to watch.

I've got 3 eps of series 3 left. Not nearly enough. Still, I hear they're going to be making series 4 next year.

When I'm done with this show, it's going to be a hell of a long wait.

DoctorDodge
08-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I’ve been discussing this show a lot over the past couple of weeks with Jean, and it made think of how I haven’t posted a detailed recommendation of why it is one of the greatest tv shows of the past ten years – maybe just one of the best shows ever – and why you should’ve really, really watched it by now.

Especially since when, in the Greatest TV Show tournament a few months ago, it was voted out in the first round. Still a bit cheesed off about that, if I'm perfectly honest.

So, what is it about? Well, the show begins in 2006, with cop DCI Sam Tyler tracking down a serial killer but not making much progress on the case. He’s trying to follow his instincts, but he’s constantly stopped by procedure and laws protecting the suspect. Worse, things get personal when his girlfriend Maya gets kidnapped. So far then, so pretty standard cop show.

That is, until he gets hit by a car, falls unconscious, and wakes up in 1973.

Now he’s found himself demoted to DI and stuck in a world where sexism and racism are a way of life for policemen, where forensics is considered almost completely unnecessary, and where raw instinct is far, far more reliable to go on than plain ol’ evidence, especially when you could just make some up if you really needed a conviction. Not only has he got to deal with his new boss DCI Gene Hunt, a man who is the very embodiment of the above principles and is Sam’s new boss, (a fact that neither cop seems too particularly happy with,) but Sam also has to try to find out why he’s there and, hopefully, find a way home in the process.

That’s the mystery of the show, the initial “hook” that grabbed my interest, but to me, the mystery was very, very, very far from being the most important reason of why I continued to watch the show compared to the number of layers and the amount of depth given to such a simple idea. First off, there’s the psychological complexity of the whole show, as Sam is constantly in doubt that the world he’s now trapped in is even real, no matter how real the world and the people around him seem to be. Worse, from time to time he suffers from hallucinations, with tvs and radios speaking directly to him from 2006. Well, most of the time, but he also has nightmarish visions of the Test Card Girl. Don’t ask, just know that when you see her, you’ll probably be pretty fucking creeped out. Throughout the entire show, we see things through Sam’s perspective only, never following any of the other characters, so we remain as uncertain about the entire thing just as much as Sam does, drawing us in to Sam’s journey of borderline insanity.

Then there’s the characters. Every single one – Sam, Gene, Chris, Ray, Annie – feel real and three dimensional from the first episode, a testament to both the writing and the performances involved considering that, as I mentioned before, we rarely leave Sam’s point of view. All of which we grow a sense of attachment to quickly, providing so much drama and comedy in equal measure, all of it done so naturally.

Speaking of the comedy, this is probably one of the most quotable shows I’ve ever watched. “Who the hell are you?” “Gene Hunt, your DCI, and it’s 1973. Almost dinner time. I’m ‘avin’ ‘oops!” “We plant these on him, and watch them grow into a big flower of justice.” "I wonder what killed him?" "That would be the bloody great hole where the bullet went in!" I could go on, but I have a feeling it’d be difficult to stop. Suffice to say that this is an exceptionally funny series at times, despite being primarily a drama. Whether spoken or visual, the comedy never fails to deliver.

Which brings me to something I hadn’t noticed until Jean pointed it out: how amazingly well directed it is. Before, I would usually notice how well the script and performances were, but watching it again recently, I started to notice so many subtleties and brilliantly shot moments that you just don’t see in any other show. Seeing 2006 as fast cut and brightly lit, with all colours essentially washed out, before Sam wakes up in 1973 and everything has slowed down and become much more colourful and, ironically, much more real; a fantastically choreographed chase sequence at the beginning of episode 2 that Jean pointed out, something I had always enjoyed watching but had failed to think about how well it was done because everything had flowed so naturally. Actually, I think I can say that about every episode: everything flows together, nothing feels forced in. There is no doubt in my mind that, from start to finish, this show is a masterpiece.

And when it does finish, you’ll be disappointed that there weren’t more episodes to watch, especially since it comes to a total of 16 episodes. I know both me and Jean were disappointed at only 2 series. However, when the ending does come…you couldn’t have asked for a better ending. Honestly, the final 15 minutes of the show are some of the most emotional minutes I’ve ever watched on television. To this day, after so many times watching it, it never fails to bring tears to my eyes. It really is that perfect.

I don’t like cop shows. Never been interested in watching them, as most of them are indistinguishable from one another. Even in Life on Mars, the cases were never what dragged my interest to the show, or its mysteries, or even it’s references to 70s British culture: being 23, there were plenty of references that went over my head, but I hardly cared. It was the characters, the performances and the hidden depths that made me simply watch it over and over and over again. Very rarely do I see a show with such complexity and depth, especially with such a scifi premise, but this show has it all. “Highly recommended” doesn’t do it justice.

Just avoid the rather shallow US remake by comparison!

Jean
08-20-2011, 07:33 AM
bears second all of the above

From start to finish, this show is a masterpiece.
It is.

Mattrick
08-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Arrested Development. Everyone should watch this show start to finish, that is all.

DoctorDodge
08-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I do plan to watch it in full, Mattrick. Watched a few eps and enjoyed it, but I'm still a bit miffed that it beat Life on Mars in the tournament. AD's great from what I saw, I'll admit that, but my reaction I expect would've been similar to your's when In Treatment was out-voted by Torchwood. Honestly, as far as truly great television is concerned, Life on Mars is up there with The Sopranos and Six Feet Under. (Which I also do need to watch more of!)

Mattrick
08-20-2011, 01:10 PM
If I had to pick a top three sitcoms it goes: Frasier, Arrested Development, Seinfeld. Shame it's ratings were so low it only went 3 seasons.

DoctorDodge
08-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Like I said, it's one I do plan to watch in full, after I've watched more of Six Feet Under. And finished my current re-watch of Life on Mars of course. Which, Mattrick, I do think you would heavily enjoy. The BBC original, not the abc remake, of course.

redrose
08-20-2011, 01:43 PM
LOST..wait... but it already finish :(
also the Soppranos

Mattrick
08-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Six Feet Under is a great show. I always flip flop between that and The Sopranos as my favourite show...whichever what I'm currently watching is my favourite :P Right now I've got 12 episodes left of Sopranos and it is the greatest show ever made.

DoctorDodge
08-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Watch Life on Mars Mattrick, and you will have a show to rival both of those, guaran-fucking-teed. I say this as someone who has watched and enjoyed every episode of the Sopranos, and yet has recently been distracted not just by some of the greatest satirical shows ever made (The Thick of It is nothing short of genius, and may have just landed itself on my list of top ten favourite shows ever so very, very quickly), but also by my Life on Mars rewatch. I'll continue rewatching Sopranos once I'm done with Life, though. In the middle of series 4 of Sopranos at the moment.

Merlin1958
08-20-2011, 05:44 PM
If I had to pick a top three sitcoms it goes: Frasier, Arrested Development, Seinfeld. Shame it's ratings were so low it only went 3 seasons.

If you love "Seinfeld" you have to mention "Curb your enthusiasm". It's "Seinfeld" on cable!!!!!

DoctorDodge
08-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I've never watched Seinfield. For some reason, it was never that big in the UK.

Merlin1958
08-20-2011, 05:55 PM
I've never watched Seinfield. For some reason, it was never that big in the UK.

That's cool, but check out "Curb your enthusiasm" anyway. It won't disappoint!!!

neosatus
08-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Breaking Bad is solid.

Lost is long over and I never watched a single episode until after it was over, but I watched all of the seasons in about 4 weeks after I started. I liked it a lot.

Mattrick
08-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Yeah I really want to see Curb Your Enthusiasm but I've never had HBO and I don't know anyone who has it and I certainly can't afford to buy it

Jimimck
08-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I have just finished watching the premiere season of Game of Thrones.
So Good!

HBO medieval themed show. Just like many other HBO shows (Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire etc), Game of Thrones doesn't pull any punches with its violence, language, sex etc.
I can't wait for season two next year.

candy
08-21-2011, 12:53 AM
I have just finished watching the premiere season of Game of Thrones.
So Good!

HBO medieval themed show. Just like many other HBO shows (Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire etc), Game of Thrones doesn't pull any punches with its violence, language, sex etc.
I can't wait for season two next year.

I finished watching it a few weeks ago, and loved it. I went out and bought the book the next day and can happily inform you its better than the series - although the series did follow very very closely with the book.

I can't wait for the next series

Darkthoughts
08-21-2011, 04:14 AM
For fans of British humour I recommend:

Green Wing
Black Books
Father Ted
Misfits
The Inbetweeners
Outnumbered

I don't really watch a lot of dramas, any other series I get into tends to be US scifi type stuff like Buffy, American Gothic, Carnivale and Supernatural. However, I finally started watching the Deadwood boxset I was bought for Christmas and it is amazing!! If you have a bit of a thing for the Wild West, like I do, then you will LOVE it!

Jean
08-21-2011, 04:38 AM
I am not listening.

I must live some time, no?

candy
08-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Father Ted = TOP¬!!!!!!!

alkanto
08-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Green Wing
Black Books
Father Ted
Misfits
The Inbetweeners
Outnumbered

I don't really watch a lot of dramas, any other series I get into tends to be US scifi type stuff like Buffy, American Gothic, Carnivale and Supernatural. However, I finally started watching the Deadwood boxset I was bought for Christmas and it is amazing!! If you have a bit of a thing for the Wild West, like I do, then you will LOVE it!

I LOVE Father Ted! I just finished watching the entire series on DVD a week or so ago, actually. For me, the series was solely worth watching for Father Dougal alone :lol: There are so many good quotes...

Ted: "Well, I called the doctor. He's definitely dead. The not breathing was a good sign, but the stopped heart gave it away."
Dougal: "Are you sure, Ted? That happened to my uncle once....his heart stopped beating for a whole week and he survived!"
Ted: "Really?"
Dougal: "Emm.....no. Now that I think about it, he died. Sorry."

Heather19
08-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Yeah I really want to see Curb Your Enthusiasm but I've never had HBO and I don't know anyone who has it and I certainly can't afford to buy it

Rent it, or you can probably find it to download somewhere. Well worth it. It's one of my favorites.
And is it weird with how much I love Curb, that I've never seen Seinfeld?

Ricky
08-21-2011, 08:21 AM
And is it weird with how much I love Curb, that I've never seen Seinfeld?

You take that back. :shoot:

:lol:

Darkthoughts
08-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Ted: "Well, I called the doctor. He's definitely dead. The not breathing was a good sign, but the stopped heart gave it away."
Dougal: "Are you sure, Ted? That happened to my uncle once....his heart stopped beating for a whole week and he survived!"
Ted: "Really?"
Dougal: "Emm.....no. Now that I think about it, he died. Sorry."

:rofl: Agreed, Dougal is comedy gold...although in the episode where the Bishop comes to visit, Father Jack takes the biscuit! :D

alkanto
08-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Which episode with the Bishop? My personal favorite is the one after the football game, and a certain forfeit Ted has to accomplish, with photo documentation...
or are you referring to the episode with the quotes "That would be an ecumenical matter..." and "Sorry about that, Bishop Brennan. Will it still be a class 2 relic after they, you know...remove it?" :rofl:

Darkthoughts
08-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Ahahaaa!! Both come to think of it! Infact I was thinking of a combination of the dare and the phrases that Jack was coached to say :lol:

DoctorDodge
08-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Hmm, never did watch Father Ted when it was on. Saw one or two eps round a mate's house, but I need to watch more eps, methinks.

Oh, and for more classic British comedy, another show I like to think of as a masterpiece in surrealism: Snuff Box. Only one series made, as it was put on so late at the time of broadcast, but it was brilliant. Nothing short of being fucking bizzare genius. I watched some Monty Python afterwards, but everything I've seen so far hasn't quite matched the brilliance of Snuff Box yet. Recommended to anyone who's a fan of black humour or just fucking weird-arsed comedy.

Also off your list Lisa is Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. That show just gets better with age. Quotable and funny as fuck! "You just can't stand it, can you Dag? You just can't stand it that this time...I got the girl!" :rofl: Heather, as a fan of cheesy horror, this is definitely a show you'd appreciate!

And what everybody should be watching in 4 days? The second half of Doctor Who: Series 6, of course! Anyone who's not interested, I've got 3 words for ya:

Let's.

Kill.

Hitler.

With an awesome title like that, how could you not want to watch this show?!?

JameseyLefebure
08-23-2011, 02:19 AM
HEY!! :)

I have to agree the game of thrones show was AMAZING!!!! The books are obviously much much better but the show did stick pretty darn close :)
Being Human is a show EVERYONE should be watching when it starts again :) I'm also a huge fan of Weeds - despite it slightly jumping the shark about 2 seasons ago :)

Jamesey
xxx

candy
08-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Hmm, never did watch Father Ted when it was on. Saw one or two eps round a mate's house, but I need to watch more eps, methinks.

Who: Series 6, of course! Anyone who's not interested, I've got 3 words for ya:

Let's.

Kill.

Hitler.

:mummy: I can't beleive you have never gotten into Father Ted - its fab!!!! and needs to be watched as a series then you get to know the characters

And Dr who!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you see the Awesome Rory on GMTV?

HEY!! :)

I have to agree the game of thrones show was AMAZING!!!! The books are obviously much much better but the show did stick pretty darn close :)
Being Human is a show EVERYONE should be watching when it starts again :) I'm also a huge fan of Weeds - despite it slightly jumping the shark about 2 seasons ago :)

Jamesey
xxx

Jamesey is in the Dark Tower:biggrin1:

DoctorDodge
08-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Who: Series 6, of course! Anyone who's not interested, I've got 3 words for ya:

Let's.

Kill.

Hitler.

:mummy: I can't beleive you have never gotten into Father Ted - its fab!!!! and needs to be watched as a series then you get to know the characters

And Dr who!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you see the Awesome Rory on GMTV?

Unfortunatly not, candy. I'll look for it on youtube later.

And regarding Father Ted: it's not so much that i never got into it as that I didn't have much of a chance to: I never truly caught it when it was on. I'm sure i'd enjoy it though if i started watching it: I greatly enjoyed Black Books and The IT Crowd, after all!

alkanto
08-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Oh, and for more classic British comedy, another show I like to think of as a masterpiece in surrealism: Snuff Box. Only one series made, as it was put on so late at the time of broadcast, but it was brilliant. Nothing short of being fucking bizzare genius. I watched some Monty Python afterwards, but everything I've seen so far hasn't quite matched the brilliance of Snuff Box yet. Recommended to anyone who's a fan of black humour or just fucking weird-arsed comedy.

Also off your list Lisa is Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. That show just gets better with age. Quotable and funny as fuck! "You just can't stand it, can you Dag? You just can't stand it that this time...I got the girl!" :rofl: Heather, as a fan of cheesy horror, this is definitely a show you'd appreciate!

And what everybody should be watching in 4 days? The second half of Doctor Who: Series 6, of course! Anyone who's not interested, I've got 3 words for ya:

Let's.

Kill.

Hitler.

You know, I heard that was a good show? Do you really recommend me checking it out, though? Are you sure it'll be my thing? :P

JameseyLefebure
08-25-2011, 06:40 AM
LOL @ Candy! :)

I found my way back here again!! :) I figured the TV forum is always a good place to start again!!!

Not long till new WHO!!!!

Hannah
09-21-2011, 03:50 PM

Green Wing
Black Books
Father Ted
Misfits
The Inbetweeners
Outnumbered

So I'm a little bit late on the game responding to this, but ... yay! I'm glad you're watching Deadwood. I seem to recall something about Lovejoy and me telling you about Deadwood like three years ago. :cowboy:

DoctorDodge
09-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I'm finally watching the 2nd season of Deadwood myself, Hannah. (Well, when I'm not watching Doctor Who or Supernatural, the latter of which I've just started to check out. As a fan of monsters and cliches when they're done with a slight knowing wink to the audience, this is right up my street!) Still weird to think of Lovejoy swearing so fucking much all the fucking time, then I watch the show and Ian McShane just dominates the role so well I just forget about it.

Still Servant
09-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
Justified
Walking Dead

Hannah
09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I'm finally watching the 2nd season of Deadwood myself, Hannah. (Well, when I'm not watching Doctor Who or Supernatural, the latter of which I've just started to check out. As a fan of monsters and cliches when they're done with a slight knowing wink to the audience, this is right up my street!) Still weird to think of Lovejoy swearing so fucking much all the fucking time, then I watch the show and Ian McShane just dominates the role so well I just forget about it.

I tried to watch Lovejoy after I watched Deadwood and I couldn't get into it after watching Ian McShane as Swearingen. It was too weird. Deadwood is one of my all time favorite series.

DoctorDodge
09-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, if i'm honest, I've never watched a full ep of Lovejoy, I've just seen clips and I know what it's about. That's about it, really.

It's funny though that with a lot of my favourite actors who play wildly different roles, I never find it weird if one made a huge impact on me. Like seeing John Simm in Human Traffic after Life on Mars (a show I cannot recommend enough, Hannah), or Paul McGann in Withnail & I after I've seen and listened to him play the 8th Doctor. At first, it was weird, but what's even weirder now is that every single time I watch Withnail & I, I actually forget I'm watching the actor who played my favourite Doctor. That's how fantastic an actor McGann is. Shame he hasn't done more films and tv, I think.

Merlin1958
09-21-2011, 08:54 PM
BURN NOTICE 'nuff Said!!!!!

alkanto
09-22-2011, 07:43 AM
BURN NOTICE 'nuff Said!!!!!

YES!

I haven't been keeping up with it as much I would have liked recently, but I adored the first few seasons. It's so much fun to watch.

Hannah
09-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Well, if i'm honest, I've never watched a full ep of Lovejoy, I've just seen clips and I know what it's about. That's about it, really.

It's funny though that with a lot of my favourite actors who play wildly different roles, I never find it weird if one made a huge impact on me. Like seeing John Simm in Human Traffic after Life on Mars (a show I cannot recommend enough, Hannah), or Paul McGann in Withnail & I after I've seen and listened to him play the 8th Doctor. At first, it was weird, but what's even weirder now is that every single time I watch Withnail & I, I actually forget I'm watching the actor who played my favourite Doctor. That's how fantastic an actor McGann is. Shame he hasn't done more films and tv, I think.

I will put Life on Mars on my list of shows. I have Doctor Who on there as well, but the whole premise is confusing. Someone tried to explain it to me once, but I think it'd be easier for me to just watch it.

DoctorDodge
09-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Regarding Life on Mars, make sure it's the UK version, as that really is a masterpiece to rival the best HBO shows, and I do not say that lightly. The US version has gotten good reviews, but I've seen bits of it, and it's a lot more...mainstream and straightforward, lacking a lot of psycological depth to it, imo. Also, it's got one of the dumbest endings to a tv show ever, which was an insult to the UK original.

Doctor Who should be easy to jump on board with series 1 or even series 5 of the New Series, as both are essentially 'new beginnings' for the show. Worth watching for being one of the most quotable tv shows ever. "People assume that time runs in a straight line, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."

Yaksha
09-24-2011, 12:37 PM
How I Met Your Mother. One of the funniest shows on television right now

candy
09-25-2011, 03:12 AM
How I Met Your Mother. One of the funniest shows on television right now

I am watching this too. Its brilliant and I think Barney is just the funniest chap on Tv at the moment
Which series are you on?

Yaksha
09-25-2011, 02:13 PM
I just finished season 6 in time to watch season 7 that just premiered.

candy
09-26-2011, 09:05 AM
ah,. no i am way behind you. i jsut got the full series on my planner

I am on series 3 (just been introduced to porn star ted Moseby :lol:)

mae
09-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Haven't yet checked it out (it's DVRed), but hearing good things about Pan Am.

Heather19
09-29-2011, 02:03 PM
I just watched that the other night. It wasn't anything like what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it.

Ben Staad
09-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Did anyone watch Terra Nova? I missed the premiere and haven't seen a whole bunch of discussion about the show....was it that bad?

Heather19
09-30-2011, 07:35 AM
I saw the first hour but couldn't really get into it. Not sure if I'll go back and finish it.

What about Revenge? I only saw the first episode, but I really enjoyed that one.

mae
09-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Started watching The Playboy Club, but couldn't get through the first ten minutes or so. Very bad. But another good new series is Up All Night. Very funny and fun. Still need to watch Terra Nova. Really looking forward to some other series premiering soon: American Horror Story, Homeland, Enlightened, Boss, Grimm, Beavis & Butthead, Hell on Wheels. I think that's about it for now.

Ricky
09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
I missed Terra Nova as well. I keep checking to see if they put it On Demand, but nothing yet. I missed Person of Interest, too. I am enjoying Up All Night though. As for The Office... :(

mae
09-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I didn't miss it, it's on my DVR, but hearing it's only so-so, so I'm in no hurry. Watched the beginning of Person of Interest but deleted that as well, just silly.

Yaksha
09-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Supernatural tonight.

Ben Staad
09-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Wow! I guess Terran Nova didn't rock the critics (or fellow DT forum members) in it's premiere. Maybe I will just DVR the next one and see if it's something I will continue with.

DoctorDodge
10-01-2011, 02:58 AM
The Who finale tonight. This should be spectacular. This season, bar one or two less than great eps, has been brilliant, honestly can't praise it enough (with potentially The God Complex being one of the most subtle and complex eps I've ever watched of Who, which began with me thinking it was ok to making it one of my favourite eps ever on my 3rd viewing), and tonight's ep looks spectacular. Seriously, anyone with Netflix, watch season 5 now to catch up before watching season 6 straight afterwards. You won't regret it!

Haven't heard anything really good about Terra Nova so far. But then, nothing on tv interests me, especially network shows that always seem focused on copying the success of Lost and it's 'mystery' element. (True, Who currently has arcs and mysteries, but it also has a wider range of storytelling than most shows, so you can still get the occasional completely standalone ep, and of course, what really sets it apart from most shows, is that it actually answers questions as it raises more.) I think the only tv i watch is in box set form these, like Deadwood and The Sopranos. Also looking forward to watching Carnivale, soon. Heard nothing but great things about it from Heather. Anyone know any good shows that are on telly atm that i'd actually like?

mae
10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Boardwalk Empire.

DoctorDodge
10-06-2011, 11:35 AM
America, let me tell you now: the greatest, darkest, most twisted show you've never watched is coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erzj8G74TtE

Pre-order that dvd now, while you still can.

alkanto
10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
America, let me tell you now: the greatest, darkest, most twisted show you've never watched is coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erzj8G74TtE

Pre-order that dvd now, while you still can.

This makes me excited...I can finally watch all of it now! (Also, I was almost mad that you inferred that I'd never seen any of Snuff Box, but then I remembered that I'm not technically American, by our standards... :lol:)

DoctorDodge
10-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Exactly, Pond! I know how much you love British tv, I think everyone on this board does really, and the fact that you chat with me so much definitely helped you become aware of this hidden gem, so obviously I wasn't thinking of you when I posted this! :D

fernandito
10-06-2011, 01:27 PM
EVERYONE should be watching Breaking Bad. That is all.

DoctorDodge
10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah, but we won't. Not when most of us have got to get through a couple of shows that everyone raves about that we keep putting off, which in my case would be Deadwood, Dexter, Six Feet Under and the rest of Game of Thrones: Season 1, which i was unable to watch the last few eps of, to name a few.

Heather19
10-06-2011, 02:26 PM
What about Carnivale? I thought that was next on your list :(

DoctorDodge
10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
It is, Heather, don't worry. I just mentioned the ones that EVERYONE goes on about. With Carnivale, it's more of a cult thing, something unusual. Don't worry, that's definitely the first tv show on my Lovefilm list. It might still be a while - I bought a box set of Cracker, as I seriously couldn't resist the promise of a well made show featuring Robbie Coltrane as a criminal psychologist any longer - but rest assured, i will get to it eventually.

Brice
10-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Carnivale was fantastic.

Hannah
10-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Fantastic except that it left off on a major cliffhanger that will never be resolved. Lame.

DoctorDodge
10-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Well I'm planning to watch Carnivale soon, so once I do that, I should be able to create some kind of ending to it. That's what I did to the classic series of Who anyway with the Paul McGann death scene in my head, and also the UK series Secret Diary of a Call Girl (the ending I thought up was so much cooler than the actual one), so once I'm caught up on Carnivale, I'll be sure to post the most awesome ending ever Hannah. Sound good?

Hannah
10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
That sounds great. :) You'll just have to PM me and tell me when you post it so I don't miss it.

DoctorDodge
10-19-2011, 02:12 AM
Misfits. One of the funniest and best shows of recent years. Series 3 is starting soon, so any fan of excellent tv who hasn't started watching this show should start catching up on all 13 eps so far (including one of the greatest xmas specials ever) and watch a show I've been looking forward to a lot more than most other tv shows this fall (including the Walking Dead, for crying out loud!).

DoctorDodge
10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Also: Sherlock. The best new show of last year, bar none. Anyone who hasn't watched this yet needs to watch it RIGHT NOW. In fact, why the hell haven't you watched it already? It's only 3 eps long. True, it's 3 90 minute eps, so it's more like a tv trilogy, but it blows the Guy Ritchie adaptation out of the water. It pains me to know we have a message board with a lot of members that likes high quality drama and still hasn't watched the first series, yet.

mystima
10-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Has anyone been watching Primeval. I think that is what gave Terra Nova it's spark. I deals with prehistoric and futuristic animals that travel through these things called Anomalies, which are doorways to different times in the past and future. It was first aired here in the US on the sci-fi channel then just stopped all of a sudden...(darn american channels.) Found the series on Netflix and on Youtube. I would highly recommend it. Plus it is a British show also so there is a plus...hehe. Happy hunting.

Brice
10-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah, Primeval was pretty good.

DoctorDodge
10-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Actually, they brought it back earlier this year. I haven't watched much of it, but I when I heard about Terra Nova I was reminded of it. I was initially put off by two points, one being that itv were trying to cash in on the huge success of Doctor Who as a teatime family show, and the second is that when it comes to special effects, we Brits do tend to suck, especially when it comes to dinosaurs. I might try and catch up though ever since I've been hearing it's actually good.

DoctorDodge
12-12-2011, 03:02 AM
To anyone in the UK who hasn't started watching it yet: watch Black Mirror as soon as you get a chance. The last two short films have been absolutely brilliant and really enjoyable, not to mention shocking in all the right places. So looking forward to next week's.

To anyone outside the UK: use the internet. You won't regret it!

fernandito
12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Terra Nova, but for some reason I can't bring myself to watch it. Strange, considering my fascination with dinosaurs and prehistoric species and the like.

Ricky
12-12-2011, 11:46 AM
I feel the same way, feev. I was looking forward to it over the summer, but never watched the premiere. Then it kind of just went off my radar. It just seems like it would drag on for some reason. I don't know.

Bethany
12-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I sat down and watched some current TV for the first time in ages yesterday. I have to say, I was unimpressed.

fernandito
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I feel the same way, feev. I was looking forward to it over the summer, but never watched the premiere. Then it kind of just went off my radar. It just seems like it would drag on for some reason. I don't know.

Honestly, I think I just have TV series fatigue. I watched three seasons of Breaking Bad in the span of two weeks, while keeping up with Dexter and Walking Dead and ahhhhh, I think adding an additional show - especially one that's only in it's infant stage - would have been devastating. Too many shows, so little time.

I sat down and watched some current TV for the first time in ages yesterday. I have to say, I was unimpressed.

What did you watch ?

Heather19
12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I was looking forward to it prior to it's start. But I couldnt even make it thru the first episode. And I think there's quite a few good shows this year. Lots more than the previous few years for me at least.

Ricky
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Is anyone else watching Homeland?

fernandito
12-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I watched a random ep about two weeks ago, but since I haven't been following it I had no idea what was going on. It looks cool though. Didn't Claire Danes win an Emmy for her role ?

Ricky
12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
In Homeland? You've got to be thinking of something else since it wouldn't be eligible for Emmy season. Temple Grandin, maybe?

Anyway, I highyl recommend it. Best new show in years. Yeah, I said it.

DoctorDodge
12-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Hmm, I'll have to look out for it.

TV shows I've been watching recently that others should watch:
This Is England '88: slow moving, and like '86 very different to the film, but wonderfully shot and still more filmic than the usual tv series (which is why I'm incredibly reluctant to describe both '86 and '88 as "This Is England: The Series", as that just sounds shit.)
The Wire: my god, I can't believe what I've been missing. Again, slow moving, incredibly so at times, but after a little while it does grow on you. Excellent characters, multi-layered, and even some humour. Really liked what I've seen so far, I have to say.

And series 2 of Sherlock starts New Year's Day! Cannot stress how excellent that is!

Oh, and of course, the original Life on Mars, which we will be starting in just a few weeks! Anyone who hasn't signed up yet, here's the link to the discussion: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?13779-The-Life-on-Mars-Re-Watch-who-s-up-for-it

DoctorDodge
01-24-2012, 09:05 AM
I may have said this before, but for the best television of 2012, watch series 2 of Sherlock. And yes, I know it's only January, but there is no question that the 2nd series of Sherlock has been, unsurprisingly, absolutely brilliant, with The Reichenbach Fall being 90 minutes of tv perfection. Watch it asap.

DoctorDodge
03-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Ok, just to remind everyone, you should all be watching Life on Mars. Here's the thread:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?13779-The-Life-on-Mars-Re-Watch-who-s-up-for-it

We're only 8 eps into the re-watch, so come on and join in the discussion and awesomeness of one of the best shows of the last decade, people!

beam*seeker
03-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Boardwalk Empire.
Second that. Also, Game of Thrones. And for the twisted, Enlightened. But only if you like psycho drama.

DoctorDodge
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I finished watching this a few days ago, and already I’m wondering how soon it will be before I watch it all over again. It might be down to the short length: 3 series coming to a total of 23 eps, followed by two one-off specials. Because all eps are part of a serial, it’s just 11 movie-length eps I get really. But that’s a very, very small reason. Mostly, it’s because it’s one of the classiest and most finely crafted programmes that I have ever watched.

When I bought the complete series on dvd late last year, I had no idea how much the show would affect me on a personal level. I knew on gut instinct that the show would most likely appeal to me, for three reasons: first, the synopsis. I won’t go into detail, but it was one that summed up the main character of Eddie “Fitz” Fitzgerald as a man who’s something of a lousy human being, but a brilliant psychologist. Which in some cases could be a bit gimmicky, but the focus on his personal life suggested to me that this could be a lot different to a lot of other “crime shows with a twist”. However, I still probably wouldn’t have paid much attention to it if it weren’t for one other thing: Robbie fucking Coltrane. Most of you on this board (who aren’t British, anyway) will most likely know him as Hagrid, but essentially, it was well known even before I watched the show that this was the show that pretty much put him on the map, as far as being a serious actor was concerned. Before, I had mostly seen his earlier work as a comedy actor in the Comic Strip presents, a lot of which I’ve greatly enjoyed, as well as his post-Cracker roles in Hollywood, including Valentin in the James Bond movies, and yes, as Hagrid in the Harry Potter films. But there was also something else I had watched him in, back in high school while we were studying about drugs. A one-off tv film back in the early 90s that had a lot to do with how he ended up with the role of Fitz called Alive and Kicking, in which he plays an abusive, alcoholic, chain smoking sadistic social worker. It’s something that even now, I remember very, very well, having only seen it once. I was very keen to watch more roles like that for him.

The final reason was, frankly, the cover.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wmg8VhdyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Robbie Coltrane: making smoking look cool since the day he was born with a cigarette in his mouth.

So I knew I had to get the series, just to see what all the fuss was about.
Now, with every amazing tv series, there comes a point when you start to realise just how awesome it is. When you begin to realise that this is a work of art and is incredibly well crafted, with every single aspect done right. The effect is perfectly summed up with the following expression: “…holy shit.” Now, for me, when I was watching The Wire, this took about 4 or 5 eps for it to occur.

How long did it take with Cracker? About 5 minutes. At most.
A number of things made me fall in love with it. First, the introduction of the main character, Fitz. We see him on the phone, smoking a cigarette while listening to a horse race, really eager for the result. Clearly, his horse loses, but he has little time for the immense feeling of disappointment to sink in before a man comes along to tell him that he’s late. He puts the cigarette out, walks through a door…and is presenting a lecture to psychology students. Naturally, he gives one of the most unorthodox lectures ever put on film or tv, which includes a wonderful line: “I rehearsed the death of my father for years. I even got a little bored. I knew all my lines, but he was still alive, and I never got my opening night.”

Now, this scene made me fall in love with the show, for several reasons. Two of them are to do with Fitz himself. Firstly, for the writing. Never before had I seen a show that began with such an instantly clearcut and yet complex character as I had seen with Fitz. Barely a couple of minutes in, and already we know he’s clearly a gambler, a man who likes to smoke whenever possible, a man who lectures and is actually interesting when he does it. Secondly, the other reason Fitz is so brilliant is Robbie Coltrane. This is a role he was clearly born to play, and it only gets clearer as the show goes on. But I’ll get to that in a minute.

One more reason I love this opening scene is just the way it was shot. Nothing too flashy, just the most carefully chosen and precise shots that I have seen in a tv series given for such a simple scene. As the camera followed the books as they were thrown by Fitz, as it centred in on him during his main speech, that was when I knew that I was going to absolutely love this show.

From there on in, it only got better. For a good portion of the episode, the “case” and Fitz’s life remains separate, as we initially focus on his family life, and it doesn’t look good. I think the biggest problem with Fitz and his family is that he even has a family in the first place. Me and a mate were discussing this, and both of us had picked up that Cracker, with its dark tones and loner protagonist – for that’s what Fitz is, to an extent – shares a lot with film noir, particularly detective stories. But since when does the detective hero ever get the girl? There’s a reason characters like those are loners in the first place, as we discover what a mess Fitz has made of his homelife. He’s lost so much money to gambling that he’s having to ask his children for cab fare, during a night out with some friends it ends with one of them throwing wine at his face, and his wife has just about reached breaking point.

And then Fitz gets involved in a police investigation when they ask him to try and get a suspect to confess, and then we see a whole different side to Fitz altogether. Well, not really, but it’s here that his abrasive and intrusive attitude is actually put to good use.

Because Fitz is a man who know how criminals think. He knows how to get inside their heads, to know why they do the things they do when even they might not know. When he’s working out how a killer thinks from a few details at a crime scene, it’s fascinating; when we see him interviewing a suspect, it’s riveting. This really comes down to how fucking perfect Coltrane truly is in this role.

It’s not just him that we watch it for, though. Cracker really isn’t like crime dramas, and that’s because for one thing, it’s not a whodunit – in most cases, we know from the start who the killer is. Hell, in most episodes, we join them a while before they commit their first murder, but this does cause tension as we know what they’re going to do, especially if they come across as likeable in some way or another. In all the stories I’ve watched, the killers felt real and three dimensional, something you could read about in a newspaper and wonder to yourself, “why?” Cracker is the kind of drama that seeks to answer that question.

These are only a few of many, many reasons why Cracker has easily become one of the greatest series I have ever watched. I’ve never seen anything like it. Dark, gritty, dramatic, and, at times, surprisingly hysterical, it really is an incredibly original show that can’t be matched. I should know, as I tried watching some of the American remake for ten minutes before turning it off, as it was clearly just another bland detective drama. True Cracker isn’t like that. It isn’t always easy viewing, and the last two one-off stories don’t quite match up to the brilliance of the rest of the series, but even the worst of it remains thoroughly watchable. Highly recommended, to say the very fucking least.

DoctorDodge
05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
I've recommended this before, but I'll recommend it again. The Wire is one of the coolest and best shows I've watched. Season 1 was fucking brilliant. Now watching 2, and it just might be even better. Some damn good shit.