PDA

View Full Version : The Little Sisters Of Eluria Discussion

Bev Vincent
09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Marvel is pleased to announce the next series in the New York Times best-selling line of Dark Tower adaptations with Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters Of Eluria! Join renowned scribes Robin Furth and Peter David as they welcome acclaimed artist Luke Ross into the ka-tet of creators entrusted by Stephen King himself to bring the adult adventures of his most personal creation to life! After being terribly wounded from a vicious battle with a band of slow mutants, Roland Deschain is taken in by a group of hideous creatures known as the Little Sisters of Eluria and must battle for his life in Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters Of Eluria!

Now's your chance to jump onboard the acclaimed Dark Tower series with this new blockbuster series!

Roland's journey has been long and treacherous and now there is nothing he can do to fend off the Little Sisters and whatever they have in store for him. Will the Gunslinger live to see the light of day? Find out in Dark Tower: The Gunslinger – The Little Sisters Of Eluria #1!

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER - THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA #1
Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
Pencils & Cover by LUKE ROSS
Parental Advisory, $3.99
ON SALE THIS DECEMBER!

WeDealInLead
09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
OK then. NOW we're talking.

killboi
09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
marvel has been kinda shuffling stories between miniseries....

Brainslinger
09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Umm... as I've read the short story version, I'm not sure if I'll get this. (Actually I probably will out of curiosity.) On the other hand I've read the Mejis segment in Wizard and Glass before The Gunslinger Born, and that was probably the best of the lot, albeit I don't dislike the others. If it hadn't had some original material though, I probably wouldn't have taken to it so much.

I wonder if we'll get a comic series of The Walking Waters (or whatever it's called). It is mentioned in Song of Susannah, but we never did learn what that was about.

fernandito
09-21-2010, 03:37 PM
I gave up on the Dark Tower comics a long time ago.

CyberGhostface
09-21-2010, 05:41 PM
http://i.newsarama.com/images/dark_tower_the_gunslinger_the_little_sisters_02.jp g

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER - THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA #1
Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
Pencils & Cover by LUKE ROSS

Near death from an attack by Slow Mutants, Roland Deschain is taken in by a group of Sisters who specialize in anything but the healing arts. These hideous, corpse-like creatures known as the Little Sisters of Eluria have murder on their twisted minds. And in his current, wounded condition, there’s almost nothing the last gunslinger can do to prevent their tender mercies from taking hold. It’s the beginning of a new Dark Tower story arc featuring the fine pencils of Luke Ross, whose work on this story will astound you! Don’t miss it!

turtlex
09-22-2010, 02:59 AM
Oh, that's a cool cover!!

Liking it, a lot.

turtlex
09-22-2010, 03:00 AM
I haven't given up, but I'm not sad they don't do variant covers anymore. I will always love the story.

lophophoras
09-22-2010, 03:37 AM
Pam,

Have they announced how many issues there will be for this one?

lophophoras
09-22-2010, 03:39 AM
Great cover!! I think this will be a great run!

:excited:

turtlex
09-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Pam,

Have they announced how many issues there will be for this one?

Great minds think alike ... I've been searching around the web and haven't been able to find anything which includes an issue count.

I'll update if I can locate it. Every site I can think of is posting the description. If I had to guess - I'd guess a 5 issue arc, but that's just a guess.

Near death from an attack by Slow Mutants, Roland Deschain is taken in by a group of Sisters who specialize in anything but the healing arts. These hideous, corpse-like creatures known as the Little Sisters of Eluria have murder on their twisted minds. And in his current, wounded condition, there’s almost nothing the last gunslinger can do to prevent their tender mercies from taking hold. It’s the beginning of a new Dark Tower story arc featuring the fine pencils of Luke Ross, whose work on this story will astound you! Don’t miss it! 32 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory …$3.99

lophophoras
09-22-2010, 04:30 AM
:thumbsup:

Thanks. I will be on the look out as well.

Brainslinger
09-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Ooh. I like.

wizardsrainbow
09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I love it as well. Timing??? (Too lazy to check out myself!)

lophophoras
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Slated for a December release.

pixiedark76
09-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I got the Donald M. Grant version of "Little Sisters of Eluria" and I wanted it to be more of a graphic novel form. I wanted there to be a lot more artwork than there was. I guess I got my wish!:rock:

BillCarson
09-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Is Richard Isanove still attatched to the DT project? All the press I read describe pencils & cover by Luke Ross - but no mention of Isanove.

I see he's still doing art for the Sheemie single-issue, but nothing on this new arc.

Who colored this cover, Ross himself? It would be sad to see Isanove go; but change isn't always bad.

turtlex
09-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Welcome to the site, BillCarson.

It is possible that Luke Ross did colors as well as inks. I haven't seen the any other information regarding the issue ( including the info in Previews for ordering ... it just lists Ross ).

We are lucky enough, however, to have Richard Isanove as a member here at TDT. You can find a link to a Q&A thread with him -- Right Here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=9427). We can't gaurantee when he'll log in, but if you look through the thread there, you can see that he's been great about answering our questions.

BillCarson
09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Thank you very much, Turtlex,

Wow! This site is a greater resource than I'd already Imagined.

For ordering I usually visit Boompanda, which offers free shipping- and also shows the specific dates the issues come to stores (helpful to comic-newbies like me) ;)

http://www.boompanda.com/show_items.php?kw=Dark+Tower+Gunslinger+Little+Sis ters+Eluria+%231+%28of+5

Tatts4Life
10-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Can't wait just saw this on marvel.

nocny
12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/lsoe_comic/artwork_preview/

WeDealInLead
12-08-2010, 09:01 AM
HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

:onfire::panic::panic::panic:

turtlex
12-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Love the preview pages! Very nice.

nocny
12-08-2010, 02:07 PM
yeah, looks amazing, that's how this comicbook should look from the first issue :)

Patrick
12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Sweet artwork!

WeDealInLead
12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Artwork is great. I like the first issue.. a lot. What I still don't like is Roland talking outloud to himself. I wouldn't mind either a few panels without any words or inner monologue. Talking outloud just seems silly and unlike Roland.

Brainslinger
12-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Artwork is great. I like the first issue.. a lot. What I still don't like is Roland talking outloud to himself. I wouldn't mind either a few panels without any words or inner monologue. Talking outloud just seems silly and unlike Roland.

I agree. (I haven't read this comic but I've read the others so I know what you're talking about.) I guess that's one problem with ditching thought balloons. They could always put those things into captions instead, a tactic many modern comics use, but they use that for a separate third person character narrator, one not privy to Roland's thoughts.

WeDealInLead
01-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Another solid issue. Makes me realize how bad anything between The Gunslinger Born and this storyline really was. The art is looking really great. The full page artwork with just the Sisters on it is epic.

Extra at the back is also cool because it's about the origin of the Sisters that came directly from King himself.

Brainslinger
01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Hmmm. I wasn't going to get this, since I'm more after new material in my Dark Tower comics. (True Gunslinger Born largely covered ground already taken but there was new stuff...)

Extra at the back is also cool because it's about the origin of the Sisters that came directly from King himself.

This, however, makes me wonder if I should reconsider.

Kidd Ikarus
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I think the issue was pretty good. Accurate . . . Even noticed lines taken right out of the story. Im also at odds with Roland talking out loud to himself though. Its just weird.

The Ckosing
02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Let me first prerequisite by stating I'm a bit behind being that I just ordered the latest hardcover and pre-ordered "Little Sisters." Trying to figure out the artist situation for this series has been a real hassle as there's been little to no information given on the matter. To me the vision that Jae Lee and Richard painted out was picture perfect. I understand that Jae was unable to make certain deadlines so perhaps that's the reason why he's not returning ... With that said, at least Richard made sure everything still felt like it was within the ballpark for "The Journey Begins" from the previews I've seen. With the latest arc however I guess Richard has now left the series as well? Looking at the preview images of Little Sisters I can't force myself to believe this is even within the same universe. The artwork has gone from well, art to comic cheese. I realize some people may prefer the new comicy style, but where's the consistency? For me it kills the immersion that the series has built. Is Sisters of Eluria considering a side story, meaning that Richard will return for the next true arc? If anyone has opinions or better yet source information on the subject then please do tell.

Thanks.

Merlin1958
02-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm not sure as to your questions, but if you want to see some really amazing Isanove Remarques, then check out my collection thread as listed below. I am pretty freaking jazzed about them and a pencil sketch is out at the framer!!!!! Soon to be Photographed!!!!

:excited::excited::excited:

The Ckosing
02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
So everybody else is just as in the dark on the subject as I am?

Merlin1958
02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
As far as know, Richard is a very integral part of the series, Like I said, check out my remarques and I will be posting an original pencil sketch within a week. He sure seems to have the "universe" down to a science!!!

Brainslinger
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
How are the extras on this series?

I was thinking of waiting for the collection, or just leaving it altogether, it being a retread of what I've read before. If there is some interesting stuff in the extras though, I might pick these up at some point. All my other Dark Tower comics are in single issue form after all.

WeDealInLead
02-24-2011, 11:43 AM
I'll go through all of the extras this weekend and let you know. I get singles too. I used to buy hardcovers but then the story jumped the shark and collecting HCs of something I thought was bland took the back seat. I need HCs of legit story adaptions (The Talisman, N, The Stand) by SK before completing TDT 'just to have it.'

Brainslinger
02-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks WeDealInLead.

Tik
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM
How are the extras on this series?
If you like the extras to be stories of Mid-World, issue 3 onwards is a must. It's about the origin of the Little Sisters....and even though the story has just started, I've an idea another character from an earlier King book is starting to make its presence known....

Brainslinger
02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Seems like my cup of tea, thanks for answering! I often wondered about the Little Sisters, and the fact it's a part one is promising! I've often wondered how they fit in the vampire hierarchy as they don't quite fit with the other three types.* Okay, I suppose they could be the same species as The Grandfathers - Grandmothers, if you like - and they're both accompanied by bugs but those bugs seem rather different in size and function, although they're both known as 'little doctors' suggesting King meant them to be the same...

*Please don't answer that by the way, unless you want to spoiler tag it. I'll likely buy the series now.

Brainslinger
04-03-2011, 07:12 AM
I've finally taken the plunge and ordered the first 2 of these comics. Unfortunately issue 3 wasn't available on Ebay.*

*I tend to get most of these comics on ebay. (My local comic shop isn't very good for DT stuff, although I have seen stuff there in the past.) Other comic shops tend to be more expensive or difficult to search. Mind you, I think they're actually regular street shops who happen to advertise on the web charging postage at a greater rate.

EDIT-
The first issue arrived today. I largely liked it. I had some reservations, which I'll list first, so as to end on a good note:

Roland talking to himself
He always seems to do that in the comics. I understand that Peter David (or maybe it's Robin Furth) want to include some of Stephen Kings words within the comic, but I think this is a bad way to do it. It's mostly Roland's thoughts that are done this way, and since they don't use thought balloons any more they make him deliver a monologue. Why not put his thoughts into the captions (perhaps replace some of the stuff that's actually in the captions, there's a thought) or, just leave it out altogether. Sure we'd miss out Mr King's words then but we're missing out plenty of others anyway. It's a different medium. Those who want to read that stuff can read the books.

Captions
I don't find these as irritating as many seem to. But I think they go a bit overboard.

Roland as Jesus
I get the parallel Furth was making, I just don't think it's apt. This is probably partly due to my Christian roots and I'm sure no harm was meant, but I found the image rather pretentious.

Little Sisters
I'll spoiler tag this, just in case anyone come in here who hasn't read the comic or the original novella.
They're too green. They look too much like the slow mutants, and not just the green-ness, their features too. Mind you, maybe that was an intentional glamour on their part; to be vampiric versions of the people they were speaking to. I doubt that was the artist's intention though. Also, I'm undecided if we should have seen their monstrous appearance so early.

I understand that there is a logic in appearing in a scary form to the mutants, in that they want to scare and boss them around, but for first time readers I can't help feeling it gave them away too soon. I think they should have had their 'glamoured' human look or we should have seen them from behind. Keep it ambiguous as to whether they're truly good or not. They have just saved Roland after all. Give the readers a twist later.

On the other hand, for those of us who have read the original novella, it's an interesting alternate take on the story.

Furth's essay
She seemed to spend most of it retelling what we've just read in the comic.

Onto the good stuff:
Good storytelling
Caption waffle and Roland's self-talky madness aside, the story was told well. It didn't get far, but in introducing the town, I think there's something to be said for taking a leisurely pace. Helps create the sense of melancholy suited to a ghost town.

Gorgeous Artwork
Luke Ross and Richard Isanove did lovely work here. And, linking to what's above, it told the story well.

Slow Mutant design
Great to see Slow Mutants that are green! (Mind you these had to be, considering their name.) Despite every slow-mutant we see in the DT books being this colour there's a surprisingly few in the books. They're all pink or reddish in Jae Lee's work. That's ok, I'm sure they come in other colours, (our own for example) but it's nice to see the green ones here. Nicely realised too.

Little Sisters Design
Although I'm not keen on how similar they look to the muties, they do look good. I like the teeth. Nice to go a different way to the usual two fang overbite. I'd have rather gone with a hag-like design as they're described in the book though. That's assuming they retain this form and it's not just another glamour for the muties benefit of course.

Furth's Essay
When you cut out her retelling of the story, there's not much left, but it was interesting enough to read. I appreciate reading her reasoning, etc, even if I don't agree with it.

Overall good job. The second issue should arrive in the post soon.

Brainslinger
04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I seem to be talking to myself on this thread.

Anyhoo, the second issue did indeed come yesterday. They really crammed in the panels this issue didn't they? It looked fine though.

There seemed to be less of the captions, although in this issue I think maybe they could have been utilised more. Roland was nattering away to himself again you see, describing what he could see. Seriously, either bring back thought bubbles, or use the captions. Or just SHOW us. It's a wonder the Little Sisters didn't pour a whole load of the bugs into his ear to fix his brain up.

Also for some reason Jenna seemed to take on the monstrous look at one point. That's a deviation from the comic. Although she is a vampire, (or at least going that way) the suggestion in the original story is that her appearance is not glammer like it is with the others.

That being said, I thought it was great issue. I liked how they switched the nurses appearance back and forth. A little suggestion of red-eye here and there. It worked very well.

Furth's essay was an improvement on issue #1. It was interesting learning a bit more concerning King's thoughts on the Little Sisters*, and Furth's thoughts on the correlation between Desperation and this story was very interesting. That's the sort of thing I want to read. Not a retelling of the chapter I just read.

The art was as good as ever. I liked the artist's take on Jenna.

Generally a good faithful adaptation of the story.

*I understand there's even more info in the later issues...

jhanic
04-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I have not yet begun reading this arc, as I wait to get the entire run before I do. Your comments, however, are making me reconsider this.

John

Brainslinger
04-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I have not yet begun reading this arc, as I wait to get the entire run before I do. Your comments, however, are making me reconsider this.

Are you reconsidering buying the story at all, or just waiting for the GN?

If it's the former, please let me just say that I did largely like the two issues that I've read. My posts might come across a bit negative, as I've a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the monologue stuff, but I'm not really as irritated as the posts might appear! (Okay, it does irritate a bit, but I still found it mostly enjoyable. The monologues give these comics the feel of watching a play, if that makes sense.)

If it's the latter, getting the issues isn't a bad idea if you like the extras. Especially as we learn more about the origins of the Little Sisters.

jhanic
04-09-2011, 04:56 PM
I buy each issue as it comes out. I just save them until the arc is finished, then I read it.

John

WeDealInLead
04-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Just finished the last issue. It was an OK storyline with mediocre art. I bet if King's name wasn't attached to this, it would've ended a long time ago.

jhanic
04-16-2011, 05:19 PM
I've got all the issues. Now I just have to find the time to read them.

John

herbertwest
04-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Is that me or there is no more variants at all??

jhanic
04-17-2011, 05:11 PM
They stopped producing variants with The Dark Tower: The Journey Ends #1 and The Stand: Soul Survivors #5. American Vampire had variants for all five of the King issues. I stopped collecting that one when the King issues ended, so I don't know if they continued or not. They stopped issuing sketch variants with The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead #6 and The Stand: American Nightmares #4.

I guess the "regular" issues were just not selling well enough to warrant issuing variants.

John

Brainslinger
04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm finding it quite difficult to get issue 3. I'm wondering if they had a shorter print run than the others as most places seem to be out. Last I checked on ebay, the only one I see was shipped from Australia! (I'm not paying that postage cost!)

EDIT- That didn't stop me ordering four and five though! And shortly later, I found A Place in Space had put issue 3 on ebay, so thats on the way now too. Great! (#2 arrived this morning, but I'll wait for #3 before reading, although I've had a little look through.)

I was a bit disappointed to find out the Little Sisters origin story is actually by Robin Furth rather than King, although she got some of her ideas from her discussion with him. I knew she would be writing it, but I get the impression King's contribution will just be the stuff she mentioned at the back of issue 2, but I could be wrong. On the other hand I'm still looking forward to it.

I have mixed feeling of her tying it in with the ideas in Desperation (she did that due to the Language of the Unformed and the location of the Desatoya Mountains featuring in both stories). Part of me wishes she would come up with something original, but on the other hand I do like Desperation, and it could be very interesting.

Ari_Racing
05-07-2011, 10:51 AM
The little sisters of Eluria - HC edition
(Includes numbers 1 to 5)

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/5/f0/4c910f28da206/portrait_xlarge.jpg (http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/5/f0/4c910f28da206/detail.jpg) http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/1/c0/4cb60bc2caec9/portrait_xlarge.jpg (http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/1/c0/4cb60bc2caec9/detail.jpg) http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/b/f0/4d52e050ec3df/portrait_xlarge.jpg (http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/b/f0/4d52e050ec3df/detail.jpg)http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/1/d0/4d765897a4687/portrait_xlarge.jpg (http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/1/d0/4d765897a4687/detail.jpg) http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/b/90/4d35ad2adb415/portrait_xlarge.jpg (http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/b/90/4d35ad2adb415/detail.jpg)

(Click on the images for larger display)

Near death from an attack by Slow Mutants, Roland Deschain is taken in by a group of Sisters who specialize in anything but the healing arts. These hideous, corpse-like creatures known as the Little Sisters of Eluria have murder on their twisted minds. And in his current, wounded condition, there's almost nothing the last gunslinger can do to prevent their tender mercies from taking hold.

Hardcover: 136 pages
Publisher: Marvel (June 22, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0785149317
ISBN-13: 978-0785149316

jhanic
05-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks, Ari. I'll make sure my comic guy gets me a copy.

John

Ari_Racing
05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
I didn't read #5 yet, but I really enjoyed the first four numbers of this series.

cgallagh44
06-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Picking up a copy of "The Little Sisters of Eluria - HC edition" next Wednesday 6/8/11.

pixiedark76
06-14-2011, 06:27 PM
I read on some of the comic sites that "Sheemies Tale" was supposed to released in the HC edition of "Little Sisters of Eluria" but I don't see it in the HC issue. Was it supposed to be released at the same time as the HC?

nocny
06-15-2011, 03:33 AM
Sheemie was canceled as far as I know.

Robert Fulman
06-23-2011, 04:22 AM
My wife got me this for Father's Day, but I'm holding off on it until I finish the actual LSOE novella. I have Everything's Eventual, but I decided to read my Grant Artist Edition instead. It felt so wrong to crack that book open, and yet it felt so right because it is such a nice volume. I love the leatherette cover, and the heavy paper they used; the artwork is beautiful as well. On a barely related note, I started reading "Locke & Key" as well, and now I wish I hadn't left that to sit on my shelf for so long.

Merlin1958
06-30-2011, 06:03 PM
While I understand King and Marvel are trying to expand the audience, why wouldn't folks just read the books? Seems "wierd" to me.

Garrell
06-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I read both.

Robert Fulman
07-01-2011, 04:36 AM
In places where the stories overlap, King's novels are vastly superior. For example, everything happens way too fast in "Gunslinger Born". There just isn't a good way, I think, to boil 500 pages of the W&G story down into a 125 page comic book that takes 30 minutes to read. I think the LSOE comic did a good job with the story, but the novella is still much better. I didn't like how the narration in the novella became Roland's spoken words in the comic. Finally, though, I do like the other comics that provide supplemental material that isn't covered in great detail in the books (although it drives me batty when they contradict the books).

Brainslinger
07-01-2011, 08:47 AM
I didn't like how the narration in the novella became Roland's spoken words in the comic.

Especially as it was often or not a monologue! I don't mind them moving text around a bit as I understand that different mediums tell the story a different way, but that chattering was just unnatural and out of character.

There was a particular example of text that was moved that was actually incorrect, at least to my eyes. There is a scene in King's version where Roland looks at one of the Little Sisters and gets a sense of 'variousness' when looking at her skin. I.e. the sense that she is actually made up of various smaller parts. The reason for this becomes evident later.

In the comic that observation is used by Roland when he see's Jenna's final fate. Now I understand that Jenna is becoming like the other vampire sisters. And her final fate proves that the 'variousness' applies to her too, but I didn't get the impression that Roland got that sense from her beforehand. He knew she was becoming like the other sisters, but I think that in that sense she was just like any other young woman. I got the impression that the sense of 'variousness' was something that Roland actually physically saw when looking at one of the other sisters, a sense of movement in her skin. Jenna never showed any sign of that. She just appeared one way... then when he awoke she was another. If that makes sense.

That being said, I liked the comic adaptation overall and I quite enjoyed Furth's back story concerning the sisters' origins.

Randall Flagg
07-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Good observations.