PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower Haloween Costume

woodpryan
09-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Dixie Pig. I figured this was the best place. If I was wrong, feel free to move it, Jean.
My fiance and I want to dress up as Roland and Susan for Halloween and we are having trouble finding a costume. If anyone is selling something they have used to do exactly this before, we would be interested in buying it. If anyone knows of a good costume for this we would greatly appreciate it if you could point us in the right direction. We are having trouble finding anything suitable. Thanks everyone!

flaggwalkstheline
09-13-2010, 04:23 AM
much as I love the dark tower stories I'm not sure how one could dress up aas roland and susan and distinguish it from just looking like you're dressed as a cowboy and a cowgirl, innovation would mean that the girl would be tied to a burnt tree and the boy would be carrying around a pink glass ball (or nude):cowboy:

Brice
09-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Oh, and you'd have to hire a crowd to follow behind burning girl to chuck corncobs and chant charyou. :onfire:

SynysterSaint
09-13-2010, 05:23 AM
Really, guys? Making jokes about charyou tree? Too soon, man, too soon :nope:

:lol:

I have no idea how you could make the costumes as distinguishable as possible. The problem is without a movie behind it, most people have very different ideas of what Roland looks like (just look at The Dark Tower movie thread and see how many different actors people would want him cast as!). The devil will be in the details, and hopefully you find a Dark Tower junkie who can appreciate them.

fernandito
09-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I dressed up as Roland once using stuff I already had around the house. I have this fucking awesome duster that belonged to my dad that looks almost exactly like the one Roland is sporting in the Gunslinger art. I also have this gunbelt that belonged to my grandfather and it worked wonderfully with the costume. The rest is easy. A pair of boots, bandana, shirt, toy gun, etc.

Brainslinger
09-13-2010, 11:21 AM
much as I love the dark tower stories I'm not sure how one could dress up aas roland and susan and distinguish it from just looking like you're dressed as a cowboy and a cowgirl, innovation would mean that the girl would be tied to a burnt tree and the boy would be carrying around a pink glass ball (or nude):cowboy:

Or maybe lop off a couple of fingers...

woodpryan
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
I dressed up as Roland once using stuff I already had around the house. I have this fucking awesome duster that belonged to my dad that looks almost exactly like the one Roland is sporting in the Gunslinger art. I also have this gunbelt that belonged to my grandfather and it worked wonderfully with the costume. The rest is easy. A pair of boots, bandana, shirt, toy gun, etc.

The duster, hat, and belts are what I can't find. I can't find one that's really suitable. Of course no one will know exactly who we are. I'll look like just another cowboy to most people. But that doesn't really matter to me. :) I've seen some dusters and gun belts (very few) which would work, but are extraordinarily expensive. Trying to find those three items for about 100 to 150. Allie is going to where a red dress like the one Susan is waring when Roland meets her in the comics. Not sure if she is waring this in W&G, but that's what she plans on.

Brice
09-14-2010, 07:57 AM

Yes, I've only been waiting on pics of this costume since this site began. <_<

Jake_S
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't think you will need a duster, since King never mentions a duster in the first two books. It only shows up in the art work.

I think the key to making the costume "roland-ish" is to have faded clothes, weathered boots, weathered hat, and a distressed leather gun belt that is well oiled. Remember Roland was traveling for years following the Man in Black, so his clothes reflect this use and length of travel.

Jake