PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead *TV Spoilers!*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Mattrick
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Who else is super excited for this show? Most of my television shows have finished their run or are close to the end and I'm waiting for them to finish so I can watch it all on DVD. This is the one show I have coming up to watch and guess what, it's about zombies.

Normally I wouldn't even consider taking a zombie show seriously, but Frank Darabont is behind the show and that lends a lot of credibility.

Trailer: YouTube - The Walking Dead trailer

It premieres Halloween night...I know what I am doing.

DoctorDodge
09-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I've never read the comic, but even I think the show looks amazing. Also, you've got a british actor playing the lead, so already it shows promise! :lol:

RUBE
09-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Uh, your trailer is not a trailer but a picture of a very fat man.

fernandito
09-12-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm a huge fan of the graphic novels, and going by the knowledge that Kirkman is intimately involved with the development of the series, and after those impressive trailers, I know this is going to turn out to be an amazing show. Can't wait for Halloween.

Mattrick
09-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Uh, your trailer is not a trailer but a picture of a very fat man.

Sorry, my keyboard was not working properly. First the number keys stopped working, then shift then I guess control stopped working. ctrl+c/ctrl+v failed me. I'll fix it. After similar problems with it in trying to edit my post on another forum...I broke the keyboard over my knee. Satisfying, really.

Tito_Villa
09-13-2010, 03:37 AM
That looks great, anywhere to watch it in the UK?

Heather19
09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
I am so excited for this, I can't wait for it to come out! I think I'm going to go pick up the graphic novels this weekend. I haven't read them yet, and I'd really like to before the show starts.

fernandito
09-13-2010, 09:11 AM
You definitely should, Heather, they're amazing. The fact that I'm already on Vol. 11 and I'm still as invested and interested in it as I was on Vol. 1 is testament to how great a writer Kirkman is. Check them out, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Emily
09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
The graphic novels are unbelievable. I brought all of them on vacation with my family thinking I'd have enough reading material for the week, and ended up finishing them in 2 days; I just couldn't put them down. I can't wait for the show to start, it's looks awesome.

DoctorDodge
09-13-2010, 03:11 PM
That looks great, anywhere to watch it in the UK?

October on FX, so this link says:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/international/usa/fx-sinks-teeth-into-the-walking-dead/5014850.article

RUBE
09-13-2010, 06:43 PM
I am not a big zombie fan but this looks pretty good.

AIMB
09-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I am super excited, almost convinced myself to stay in and watch it. But I can't miss Halloween.

fernandito
09-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Seriously. Thank Gan for DVR :lol:

DoctorDodge
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM
And thank Gan for delays of US shows in the UK, so I wouldn't have to worry about making this choice! :lol:

Mattrick
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I am super excited, almost convinced myself to stay in and watch it. But I can't miss Halloween.

Halloween is about sitting at home with a beer and a pipe and watching horror movies.

What I hate about Halloween is that evenw hen you put signs all over the STILL knock on the door. Like one year I carved NO and then CANDY into two pumpkins and put several candles in each of them and kids still knocked. Either they are persistant or illiterate, I'm not sure which. If there are two words kids know it's NO and CANDY.

AIMB
09-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Halloween is about sitting at home with a beer and a pipe and watching horror movies.

What I hate about Halloween is that evenw hen you put signs all over the STILL knock on the door. Like one year I carved NO and then CANDY into two pumpkins and put several candles in each of them and kids still knocked. Either they are persistant or illiterate, I'm not sure which. If there are two words kids know it's NO and CANDY.

You should just put out a bucket, of course half the time a kid will take all of it at once.
I like to stay in and watch Horror movies too, I just usually do it all week before Halloween. I get dragged out by my husband, not to mention I have a toddler now so I get to take her out this year.

Maybe I'll be back by 9. :)

p.s. I saw Machete text once.

Brice
09-15-2010, 09:21 AM

NO CANDY? :cry:

Mattrick
09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Well, I have candy but it's usually gone by 7ish, I don't usually have money to buy a lot. They are still knocking on the door at ten. Maybe I'll just tie some rabid racoons to the couch on my front porch.

ICry4Oy
10-17-2010, 08:22 PM
I don't read comic books but THIS LOOKS GREAT!

OchrisO
10-17-2010, 08:33 PM
The comics are amazing. I am super excited about the show. The awesome thing about the comics is that the character development and the inter-group stories are so involving that you can almost forget that it is a zombie book at times, until a horde shows up out of nowhere. The Walking Dead is more about how horrible people can be to each other than how scary zombies are. I hope that they can manage to capture that in the show.

ErinPatricia
10-17-2010, 09:03 PM
OMG!!!! I cant wait!!!!!!!!

Emily
10-17-2010, 09:10 PM
The previews were all up in the Mad Men finale tonight. I can't freaking wait.

haunted.lunchbox
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I have been craving a Zombie Apocalypse show for YEARS! I wanted one to mimic Jericho setting, if you are not familiar with this show it is about a town and how it functions after nuclear war on US soil. I'm excited about the show, but one thing that makes me cringe is the trailer. I felt they kind of ripped off 28 Days Later waking up in the empty hospital in all. Did this happen in the graphic novel? What do you think.

Erin
10-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Yep, it happened that way in the comics. He wakes up in an empty hospital. I have no idea which came first, that or 28 Days Later, but it really doesn't bother me because that's such a small part of the overall scope and story of the Walking Dead in the long run.

haunted.lunchbox
10-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Yep, it happened that way in the comics. He wakes up in an empty hospital. I have no idea which came first, that or 28 Days Later, but it really doesn't bother me because that's such a small part of the overall scope and story of the Walking Dead in the long run.

I'm slightly put off by this, but I haven't done much research into the comics so they very well could have been the ones to come up with the idea. I'm still excited about the show, and I'm hoping it will catch on. There are so many vampire series out, but I think I would be much more interested in Zombie series.

OchrisO
10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
They were close enough that they could have been thought of independently, just because Kirkman was probably writing it for a while before the first issue was published.

28 Days later came out in the UK in November of 2002.
The first issue of The Walking Dead was published in October 2003.

So, roughly a year's difference, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things, given how print cycles work and how long it takes to get something on the shelf after it is accepted to be published.

It is also entirely possible that it was an homage to 28 Days Later, or to something earlier like The Day of the Triffids, which I believe is what 28 Days Later was paying homage to with that scene.

Mattrick
10-31-2010, 07:47 AM
only a few hours left!!!!!!!!

mystima
10-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Also resident evil 2 started with Alice waking up in an empty hospital(well maybe not so empty as there were zombies no one saw there.)

haunted.lunchbox
10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Also resident evil 2 started with Alice waking up in an empty hospital(well maybe not so empty as there were zombies no one saw there.)

And they say there's no originality among zombie movies.

Erin
10-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Tonight!!!!! Woot! :nana:

Mattrick
10-31-2010, 04:55 PM
My biggest problem with people waking up in hospitals during a zombie apocalypse is that...do zombies feel empathy for and only people in comas? How do they just sit there for weeks untouched and how are they not only still alive after no care and attention but they would be covered in bed sores and their own feces and urine! I demand realism in my zombie movies!

OchrisO
10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
So, I am curious, how many of you are watching The Walking Dead because you are fans of the comics and how many are coming to the series fresh, without having read the comics first?

Emily
10-31-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm watching because of the comics, otherwise I probably wouldn't be watching it to be honest. It is AWESOME so far though.

Mattrick
10-31-2010, 06:38 PM
So, I am curious, how many of you are watching The Walking Dead because you are fans of the comics and how many are coming to the series fresh, without having read the comics first?

I don't read comics so fresh for me.

Sam
10-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Thumbs up so far!!

OchrisO
10-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I really enjoyed it!

It actually followed the comics very closely, even though Kirkman has said in interviews that there will be changes and things to keep the comics fans surprised.

That episode was roughly the first 1 1/2 issues almost exactly, though.

Sam
10-31-2010, 08:06 PM
With some significant changes in the story and timeline, but nothing so far that has changed the story itself. I enjoyed it.

Mattrick
10-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Sundays are now bloody nights....Walking Dead and Dexter

OchrisO
10-31-2010, 08:47 PM
With some significant changes in the story and timeline, but nothing so far that has changed the story itself. I enjoyed it.

I didn't really notice any timeline changes. He leaves his hometown in Kentucky at the end of the first issue, after one night with Morgan and his son and then is at some random place on the way to Atlanta with no time reference at the beginning of issue two, then in Atlanta by halfway through that same issue.

The shootout where he is wounded was quite a bit different. That and the fact that they made Morgan and Duane way more distrustful of him at first, and the whole part where he hides in the tank for Glenn to find him were the only big changes that I saw and those are very minor. It is almost frame by frame from the comics for the most part so far. That won't always be the case, as Kirkman has already admitted, but I am not sure what timeline changes you are referring to.

Sam
10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
As I said to the changes in the story, significant (the tank could be bigger in the future or it could be a nothing, but the helicopter was a HUGE thing to me as it shows there is someone around) but not changing the story, but the timeline changes I refer to are mostly in the revealing of Shane and Lori this early. I know it won't affect the story but it certainly defused some suspense that was well built by Kirkman.

OchrisO
10-31-2010, 10:14 PM
I don't think the helicopter will mean anything. I think that it just residual from when the shit hit the fan in Atlanta.

I don't think Glenn will be in it or anything. At least, I hope not. That was surely him on the radio, though. You actually see abandoned tanks and military stuff in the city when Rick and Glenn go back into the city looking for guns later in the comics.

You pretty much get the Shane and Lori thing in issue three anyway, when Dale tells Rick that they have been getting close and that he wouldn't trust him around his wife. It doesn't blatantly come out until issue 6(when he snaps and carl shoots him), but I guess I didn't really see it as much of a change since it all happens so quickly anyway. I expect that they will meet up with the group next episode and Dale will probably make reference to it in that episode.

Sam
11-01-2010, 12:32 AM
That makes sense, and I think you're right. I think the TV show did that just to relieve some tension more than anything, and create a little more elsewhere. The helicopter though... I just don't know.
The revelation of the helicopter was such a huge part of the story later on, but now I just don't know. Somehow, I thought it worked better with him feeling all alone in Atlanta and then having Glenn show up. I think it's possible the helicopter could be a bigger part than we think.

I LOVED the way they played out the Atlanta scene though. That was really good. I'm sorry that they seem to have gone with a hybrid of the superfast 28 Days Later zombies and the ultra slow Romero zombies. It makes sense somewhat, but I like the thinking behind the ultra slow ones. They keep coming at you like the tide rolling in, forever coming non-stop. it just seems creepier somehow.

Dagavidiab
11-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I really want to read this thread, but in my country the release date is tonigh...... I'm so excited!!! :excited:
And tomorrow in NatGeo, Zombie Apocalypsis!!!
Ah, and I'm fresh!!! I had never read the comics (not that i don't want to do it...)

flaggwalkstheline
11-01-2010, 10:17 AM
watched it last night
ssoooooo good!

Brainslinger
11-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Sigh. It's on a channel we have to pay extra for over here.

Never mind. I'm sure I'll catch it at some point.

I've read some of the GNs. I quite enjoyed them, although some of the soap opera stuff irritated me a bit. That's mainly a taste thing though.

Girlystevedave
11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I have not read the comics (I can't afford another addiction to a series at this time) but I thought the show was awesome. :)

Emily
11-01-2010, 04:55 PM
In case anyone missed it because of Halloween shenanigans or what have you, The Walking Dead premiere is OnDemand already!

OchrisO
11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I have not read the comics (I can't afford another addiction to a series at this time) but I thought the show was awesome. :)

*gasp*

You live close enough to Kentucky that you are bound to have a friend who has the whole series and wants to sleep with Kirkman's beard. Borrow that shit immediately! :)

sarah
11-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Ok, I haven't read the comics. :o I know I know

I finally saw the first episode last night and loved it. LOVED it. They showed previews for the season and am I'm so excited. Frank Darabont did a brilliant job with writing and directing, imo.

Tatts4Life
11-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I LOVED the first episode. I'm gonna try looking at my local comic story to see if they have all the books.

Tatts4Life
11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Andrew Lincoln looks like the actor that plays in In Plain Site. That witness protection show on USA. Or maybe it's TNT? I watch too many shows.

Heather19
11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I thought the first episode was excellent. I can't wait till next week.

ICry4Oy
11-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Agreed. It was most awesome! Loved the upper torso crawling across the park; wish I'd had it for my yard on HALLOWEEN.:excited:

Tatts4Life
11-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Agreed. It was most awesome! Loved the upper torso crawling across the park; wish I'd had it for my yard on HALLOWEEN.:excited:

that part was creepy and sad. I also would love to have something like that for my front yard.

Mattrick
11-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Just a few more hours till Walking Dead

Emily
11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I can't wait. I love Sundays.

Mattrick
11-07-2010, 03:57 PM
As opposed to saturdays you think are fridays?

Emily
11-07-2010, 04:02 PM
:lol: Yes. Those are the worst.

Mordred Deschain
11-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I just watched the premiere of this last night and now I can't wait for tonight and the next episode!

OchrisO
11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
They strayed from the comic quite a bit this week. It was still awesome, though.

Emily
11-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Yea they did. It was still great though. Glen is the man. I don't mind them straying from the comic, but I am hoping they don't make it too out of control with Shane and Lori.

OchrisO
11-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Yea they did. It was still great though. Glen is the man. I don't mind them straying from the comic, but I am hoping they don't make it too out of control with Shane and Lori.

Yeah, the comic makes it seem like they only got together the one time on the way to Atlanta.

educatedlady
11-07-2010, 10:59 PM
They strayed from the comic but I like what they did with tonight's episode. And I loved Andrea in it. I like her character. Shane, however, I want to kick in the head.

OchrisO
11-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Half the people on the episode aren't even in the comic. haha. The racist guy and the guy who gets wounded are completely new characters.

Andrea seemed quite a bit different than the comic character. I don't really like her because of that.

Emily
11-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I feel like she's kind of acting the way Andrea acts way later in the comic. Who knows. Maybe it'll all make sense in a few episodes. I hope they don't change her too much, she's one of my favorites. I'm loving the guy who plays Rick, though. I loved in the beginning of the comic how likeable he was, and the actor's doing a great job of showing that, IMO.

Mordred Deschain
11-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I am loving this show. I am so glad it's not on HBO or Showtime!! I hope it lasts awhile. The only thing I was a little indifferent about was how they started it like 28 days later.

Bev Vincent
11-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Renewed for a 13-episode second season. I think it's great!

Poor Laurie Holden -- stuck in a grocery store with creatures in the mist trying to get in, and then stuck in a department store with creatures trying to get in. I'm never going shopping with her.

Heather19
11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Andrea seemed quite a bit different than the comic character. I don't really like her because of that.

I agree.

I am excited it got picked up for another season! Does anyone know how many eps there are going to be in this one?

High_Desert_Gunslinger
11-09-2010, 07:39 PM
13 episodes. Here's all the info

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/11/season-2-renewal.php

OchrisO
11-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I am loving this show. I am so glad it's not on HBO or Showtime!! I hope it lasts awhile. The only thing I was a little indifferent about was how they started it like 28 days later.

We talked about that a bit in the previous pages of the thread and I mentioned my reasoning for why it likely starts that way.

haunted.lunchbox
11-11-2010, 05:43 AM
So I finally got around to watching Walking Dead. I really enjoyed it, and I was super excited that the guy from Jericho was in it... I can't remember his name in the show or real life but he was the black guy with the son. He is one of my favorite actors! He was incredible in Jericho, and I can tell he will be good in this as well.

So I know this is going to sound dumb but I am really upset and can't get over how his partner is hooking up with his wife. I know it's like the end of the world and I can't really blame them, but come on... they were really good friends! This is probably not something I should be stuck on... but I am.

Dagavidiab
11-11-2010, 06:50 AM
So I finally got around to watching Walking Dead. I really enjoyed it, and I was super excited that the guy from Jericho was in it... I can't remember his name in the show or real life but he was the black guy with the son. He is one of my favorite actors! He was incredible in Jericho, and I can tell he will be good in this as well.

So I know this is going to sound dumb but I am really upset and can't get over how his partner is hooking up with his wife. I know it's like the end of the world and I can't really blame them, but come on... they were really good friends! This is probably not something I should be stuck on... but I am.
You're not the only one... :arg:

haunted.lunchbox
11-11-2010, 07:20 AM

You're not the only one... :arg:

This should definitely be on the list of things no longer allowed to be shown or said on tv or in the media, like... smoking cigarettes, or the word gay... there was sarcasm in there that typing may not be able to convey.

Mordred Deschain
11-11-2010, 07:24 AM

Ya I liked Jericho and that guy was cool in Jericho. There is another movie or tv show I saw him in and I think he's a good actor. Also I can't wait until this next episode with Norman Reedus from The Boondock Saints playing the racist guys brother.

I can't wait until they all meet up. However, I don't think the other guy (friend/police partner) is a very "good" guy. I don't think he is going to be cool when his friend strolls back into the picture

Oh yes, and I haven't seen the motion comic...or comic book if there is one, so some of my stuff is based on if I was someone that didn't see every little insider to a tv show (like Heroes..and the webisodes).

We talked about that a bit in the previous pages of the thread and I mentioned my reasoning for why it likely starts that way.

I missed that, but I'm not complaining really. I'm more thinking originality than anything. I was just talking to my friends how all the movies coming out are almost all sequels or re-makes. No one really has any original ideas.

OchrisO
11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Well, the main point was that Kirkman was likely already writing TWD before 28 Days Later came out, given the publishing cycle of comics and the fact that he likely had to ply it around comic cons and stuff for a while before Image even decided to publish it. The first issue of TWD hit shelves less that a year after 28 Days hit theaters. I think it is likely that both authors thought of the opening independently, or were paying homage to an old show.

Mordred Deschain
11-12-2010, 04:09 AM
I mean it is a good opening. But I really don't know that much about who had the idea first or not. but that was my only concern so far, other than that I like the show and hope it keeps going. Just waiting for Norman Reedus to go crazy during the next episode.

Dagavidiab
11-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I´m reading the comic.... I'm on issue N° 30, and I have to say, is really good!

DoctorDodge
11-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Just started watching it, caught the last 2/3 of the 2nd episode! Fucking hell, this is some of the best US telly I've watched in a long while! Really well made and incredibly tense! I just wish I had caught the first ep. Btw, how far ahead are you in the US? What ep are you on at the moment?

Heather19
11-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Episode 3 will be airing tonight. And hopefully you'll be able to catch the first ep soon.

DoctorDodge
11-14-2010, 03:32 PM
We should be getting the 3rd ep in a few days on Friday, then. It's already airing over here, i just missed the first week it was on, and unfortunatly I can't watch it On Demand as i first thought. Big mistake, I know, but I'm not gonna miss any eps now!

Heather19
11-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Do they ever re-air them during the week?

DoctorDodge
11-14-2010, 03:48 PM
They repeated the 2nd ep tonight. It first aired on Friday, but since it's been over a week since the first ep aired, I don't think they're going to re-air it just yet. Maybe for a catchup session, but not yet.

haunted.lunchbox
11-14-2010, 04:12 PM
They repeated the 2nd ep tonight. It first aired on Friday, but since it's been over a week since the first ep aired, I don't think they're going to re-air it just yet. Maybe for a catchup session, but not yet.

I'm so mad because only the first episode was on on demand as of yesterday... I haven't checked today. So, I'm stuck waiting for the second.

ICry4Oy
11-14-2010, 04:48 PM
AMC is running all of them plus the new one starting in about 12 minutes...@7pmCST

Mordred Deschain
11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
AMC is running all of them plus the new one starting in about 12 minutes...@7pmCST

YUP!! can't wait!

A buddy of mine did bring up a interesting question...

How long do you think a show like this will last when zombies are the everyday thing?

haunted.lunchbox
11-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh! It is on! Yay!

Dagavidiab
11-15-2010, 06:48 AM

YUP!! can't wait!

How long do you think a show like this will last when zombies are the everyday thing?
The zombies aren't the everyday thing... You MUST read the comics....

haunted.lunchbox
11-15-2010, 06:57 AM
So episode 3 was good. My husband is frustrated because he says it's boring, but I think it's good that they are not basing the whole show on zombie attacks because that would get old really quick. Shane made me mad.

Sam
11-15-2010, 07:50 AM
It IS moving slower than I thought it would, but it's doing pretty good so far. Tell him to give the first season (only 3 more episodes) a chance. If he doesn't care for it after seeing all six episodes, then let him go do whatever he's gonna do.

Mordred Deschain
11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
So episode 3 was good. My husband is frustrated because he says it's boring, but I think it's good that they are not basing the whole show on zombie attacks because that would get old really quick. Shane made me mad.

that's the reason why my buddy asked that question...he has the same view on it.

Merlin1958
11-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Gotta say, this is my new favorite show on the tube. Right up there with The Wire (still catching up and loving it!!) Boardwalk Empire, Burn Notice, Sons and Justified!!!!!

Also kinda digging L&O: L.A. as well

OchrisO
11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Last nights episode was good, but there are soooo many characters on the show that aren't even in the comics. It is starting to annoy me.

Merlin1958
11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Never read the comics, so its all good to me!!!!!!!

OchrisO
11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Never read the comics, so its all good to me!!!!!!!

If you like comics at all, you should really pick up the TPBs. As awesome as the show is, the comics are 10x better.

Plus it is one of the more captivating comics going right now.

Sam
11-15-2010, 08:58 PM
I picked up three of the later trades yesterday and was FORCED to read all three of them before I went to sleep last night. The last time I saw the clock it read 4:17am. This comic series ROCKS!!

ErinPatricia
11-17-2010, 08:44 AM
On demand had episode 3 that I missed cause of the horrorshow of a Steelers game last week. I spent way too much time last night re-watching 1&2 then sitting down for 3.
I love this show so very much :)

Merlin1958
11-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, so far this is a GREAT show!!!!

Way to go Mr. Darabont!!!!!!!

ICry4Oy
11-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Last night's episode was just too good for words. I hate that this season is so damned short.

haunted.lunchbox
11-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I enjoyed it as well. I really like hillbilly darrel, and hope he stays in the series. I kind of feel for shane.

haunted.lunchbox
11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
I haven't read the comic series of walking dead. Can anyone tell me how well it follows it. In truth, I think it should follow the main plot, but they should be able to add characters and small subplots without receiving criticism.

OchrisO
11-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I haven't read the comic series of walking dead. Can anyone tell me how well it follows it. In truth, I think it should follow the main plot, but they should be able to add characters and small subplots without receiving criticism.

I am going to spoiler all of this for those who aren't caught up.

The main plot is mostly intact, with a few changes, like Lori and Shane being way more involved, the whole tank part not being in the series and Glen is alone in the comics when he first finds Rick.

The two country guys aren't in the comics at all and so none of the stuff involving them directly is. None of the stuff with the racist guy attracting all the zombies, none of the stuff with them leaving him on the roof. The black guy who drops the handcuff key isn't in the series at all either. Neither is the guy who Shane beats up for how he treats his wife. None of the stuff with the nursing home is in the comics either.

In the comics, Amy dies much the same way that she did in the show, except that Andrea ends up shooting her in the head before she fully bleeds out so that she won't change into a zombie. She was also pretty flirty with the old guy Dale in the comics in order to have access to the RV before she died(which becomes sort of important later).

Tatts4Life
11-23-2010, 05:57 AM

YUP!! can't wait!

The zombies aren't the everyday thing... You MUST read the comics....

unfortunately this season is only 6 episodes. But so far it looks pretty good. Not to thrilled with this weeks episode but it was still good. I need to go see if my local comic store has all the books. Never read tm before.

Merlin1958
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Not sure exactly why, but a "The Stand" feeling jumped at me watching the last episode. I mean that in a good way, but I feel like there are some "The Stand" elements working their way into this series, which is way cool. Most especially with the build up to Merle.

haunted.lunchbox
11-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Tonight's episode was by far the weakest. I cringe.

Candice Dionysus
11-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I disagree that it was weak, I'm on edge waiting for more, I have to know more. I have to buy the comics. XD

OchrisO
11-28-2010, 10:40 PM
That Wildfire stuff at the end of the episode annoyed me. There is nothing even remotely close to that in the comics. You see nothing of the cause or people working to figure it out, because it is meant to be about the isolated experience of the focus group of the story. If I remember correctly, they never even go to the CDC.

There is also someone who is still alive that should have had a pretty intense death before they ever left the first camp outside Atlanta. That annoys me even more.

Candice Dionysus
11-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Well, like I said, I need to buy the comics. But I like that the show is different; it means the people who've read the comics don't know everything that is going to happen next, and the people who have never read the comics have two different universes to immerse themselves in; because when they do that, that's how I look at it, it's a different version of the same story, but it doesn't have to be the same to every last little detail. It gives me more that way. I dunno, just me.

Sam
11-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Actually, it looks like it's going to be two different stories with the same characters. More along the lines of Desperation and The Regulators than anything else.

OchrisO if you're thinking of the same person i'm thinking of, and I'm sure you are, I am wondering how they're going to deal with it. I was expecting it to come today, but they fooled me. Hopefully, they'll keep to that part of the story somehow, but I really don't expect it.

As for the whole CDC bit, I'm a little disappointed, but it may also add a new element to the story.

In truth, I really don't expect anything with the scope of the comic series. There's simply no way a television program budget could deal with the sets that would be needed to do the tv show to match the series. So I expected the show to be in the spirit of the comic, but not a whole lot more than that. What I am finding though, is that there is a lack of chemistry so far within the characters. Maybe it's the lack of key scenes that have not been in the TV series, maybe it's just the translation onto the tv medium. What I am seeing is a show that moves very fast, the comic reads very fast as well, but focuses more on action than how the group is dealing with the situation.

Emily
11-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Chris, I'm with you on that (about the intense death). My brother pointed out to me though that it's the kind of thing that can happen anytime during the comics, but that would make more sense in a season finale or premiere for the TV series. So. Maybe It'll work out that way?

OchrisO
11-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Actually, it looks like it's going to be two different stories with the same characters. More along the lines of Desperation and The Regulators than anything else.

OchrisO if you're thinking of the same person i'm thinking of, and I'm sure you are, I am wondering how they're going to deal with it. I was expecting it to come today, but they fooled me. Hopefully, they'll keep to that part of the story somehow, but I really don't expect it.

As for the whole CDC bit, I'm a little disappointed, but it may also add a new element to the story.

In truth, I really don't expect anything with the scope of the comic series. There's simply no way a television program budget could deal with the sets that would be needed to do the tv show to match the series. So I expected the show to be in the spirit of the comic, but not a whole lot more than that. What I am finding though, is that there is a lack of chemistry so far within the characters. Maybe it's the lack of key scenes that have not been in the TV series, maybe it's just the translation onto the tv medium. What I am seeing is a show that moves very fast, the comic reads very fast as well, but focuses more on action than how the group is dealing with the situation.

Yeah, I think we are thinking of the same person. Ever since I heard there would be a TV series I wondered if they will actually go through with the person dying the way he does in the comic. I thought we might get it tonight as well and was pretty disappointed when we didn't. I hope this person doesn't become like Lafayette in True Blood just so they can avoid having to kill them the way the comic does. It is such a jaw dropper in the comic and I would hate to see them take it out.

The CDC thing feels like the scene in The Stand so far. I'm ok with some changes, and the ones they have had so far and the extra characters haven't bothered me too much, but this CDC thing annoys me a lot because I think it takes away from the isolation of the group and that constant feeling of having no idea what happened or what is going on, which to me is a huge part of the comic. All they ever know about is what is within a few miles of where they are at any given time. I am afraid that this will bring some explanation and such in and ruin that feel.

As for the chemistry, I think you are right. There definitely isn't a good connection between Rick, Carl and Lori like there is in the comics. In the comics I feel so much for that family and their hardships and that isn't coming across as much in the show as I think it should. They have done a somewhat better job with making be feel for Dale and Andrea, but again not as well as the comic.

OchrisO
11-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Chris, I'm with you on that (about the intense death). My brother pointed out to me though that it's the kind of thing that can happen anytime during the comics, but that would make more sense in a season finale or premiere for the TV series. So. Maybe It'll work out that way?

Yeah, that is kind of what I expect. If it happens in the season finale it looks like it might hae to happen in the CDC compound, because the scenes from next week all seemed to be there. If they make it happen as it happens in the comics I guess I could forgive the setting of it. I'm not at all sure they will go through with it, though.

If they do go through with it, the lines had better be delivered exactly as they are at the end of issue #6. It is such a heartbreaking scene and doesn't need any tampering.

haunted.lunchbox
11-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I haven't read the comics, but I actually think it's good that they aren't following them. If you think about it, if they did you really wouldn't have much to think about! I also think that them adding big events like the CDC journey is good because I would feel it added to the story, and not detracting. I still think last night's episode was bad though. No real spoilers below.
I am so mad at how Shane is acting, but I kind of feel for him. I was very angry with Lori for obvious reasons, but I feel she should be forgiven. I love Glen! My favorite is Daryl though, super love him. I'm really glad it's not totally focused on any one person.
I also hope that the black guy that helped Rick out in the beginning comes back. He is an incredible actor! Can do without his son though.

Emily
11-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I can't decide how I feel about them not following the comics. Part of me thinks it's a good thing, because (like someone else already said) it'll keep everyone guessing, not just the people who haven't read the books. But then the other part of me knows that the comics are so unbelievably enjoyable, I don't want them to mess any of their awesomeness up. Either way, I really like the cast and the feel of the show, and I have faith that it'll be good whether they follow or not.

However, I'm with haunted.lunchbox about the guy Morgan's son. That kid was rough.

OchrisO
11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I think the CDC stuff detracts from the story, rather than adding to it, because it takes away from the whole idea that the story follows a fairly isolated group of people that has no idea what is going on. That is an important part of The Walking Dead for me.

Merlin1958
11-29-2010, 06:57 PM
With apologies to others, I think this episode was one of those necessary ones you have to endure in order for the main story to continue. I have no idea regarding the comics, but so far I am loving the slant on an old genre.

Dagavidiab
11-30-2010, 05:19 AM
I love the comics, and with that said...

I don't think the CDC part detracts from the history, i agree with the statement: "the story follows a fairly isolated group of people that has no idea what is going on"; but, as far as we know, the guy in the CDC is isolated too, he doesn't know anything, he is just working to know what happend (and lost his samples)

About the PERSON who should have died.... I really hope they follow the comic in that one, specially the way this PERSON died (is more important than the dead to me)

About Morgan and Duane Jones.... Damn... I can't spoil what happends to them to the people who haven't read the comic..... But I liked the way Duane was set free, specially if you count with the fact that Morgan couldn't shoot his wife in the series

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 07:59 AM
I saw a clip on the Walking Dead website about the next episode, and it doesn't sound too much like they are learning anything that isn't obvious. You should check it out.

Bev Vincent
11-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Anyone think of Desmond in the hatch when they saw the guy in the CDC? And the door opening at the end made me think of Close Encounters!

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Very similar, except Desmond was man enough to hang tight for 3 years until he decided he may whip out his gun.

Erin
11-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Totally my thoughts, too, Bev about the Hatch. The guy in the CDC even kind of looked like Clancey Brown. :lol:

I'm a huge fan of the comics and I'm still really enjoying the show. I know it's deviated quite a bit, but I'm still currently digging it and I'm curious to see what happens in the CDC. What the heck was going on with Andrea in the scenes for next week??

As for character development, in the comics, you tend to feel a lot more for Rick at first, but I'm finding myself really more interested in Andrea and Dale on the show right now than I am in Rick. They've done a good job with giving some depth and background to Andrea and Dale. I hope they continue to do this for the rest of the characters.

Spoilers for those who have not read the comics, because this hasn't happened on the show yet:
I, too, really hope Shane dies soon and that Carl kills him. That was such a moving part in the comics.

Also, I hope Dale and Andrea hook up and that they make it to the prison eventually. Other than that, I don't mind the show changing stuff, I just really want to see these things especially.

Bev Vincent
11-30-2010, 10:56 AM
I've never read the comic, so I'm watching this without expectation. I agree that the guy looked like Clancey Brown at times, too!

fernandito
12-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Not sure how legit this is , but ...

Entire Walking Dead Staff Fired

As a reward for their success, The Walking Dead's show-runner Frank Darabont has fired his writing staff. Because their ratings were too good? Always weird when that happens! Darabont might not hire a new staff for next season.

Source. (http://gawker.com/5703239/entire-walking-dead-writing-staff-fired)

Thoughts ?

haunted.lunchbox
12-01-2010, 10:11 AM
It doesn't make any sense... none whatsoever.

Emily
12-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Wait, what?! No way... that's so weird.

fernandito
12-01-2010, 02:12 PM
If you read some of the comments from that blog, it /looks/ like Darabont wasn't happy with the episodes written by the writers (he wrote the first 2, Kirkman wrote 3 & 4, and the writers wrote 5 & 6) ... it would appear that he wants the writing responsibilities to lie solely with Kirkman and himself.

OchrisO
12-01-2010, 02:38 PM
If that is the case, I'm all for it. Maybe that will stop the fears I have about stuff like the CDC stuff, since that didn't appear until the end of episode 5.

Heather19
12-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah I wasn't fond of the CDC stuff either. I liked how it just focused on a small group of people. And I was waiting for that death to happen as well this past week. Maybe you're right Em, and they're just saving if for the season finale.

Merlin1958
12-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Yeah I wasn't fond of the CDC stuff either. I liked how it just focused on a small group of people. And I was waiting for that death to happen as well this past week. Maybe you're right Em, and they're just saving if for the season finale.

Given the episode and the previous posts re-writing staff, I would tend to think that #5 & 6 are just necessary storyline "set-up episode's for the genral public that hasn't read the comics. I mean, it just wouldn't be natural for survivors NOT to seek out help/humanity at some point and they were able to give the regular audience some background as to their predicament and how they got there and the situation leading up to it.

I haven't read the books, but I agree that I hope they don't screw around with the CDC too long. It feels like a dead (sic) end anyway. Eventually, they will have to come up with some plan for the future though to keep the series running. Shhhh, don't tell me!!! LOL

OchrisO
12-05-2010, 08:21 PM
*grumble*

There wasn't a single thing in the episode from the comics. The season finale! How can they make a season finale not have anything from the comics?

Also, they still didn't do the death a bunch of us keep referencing. I really think they are going to keep the character alive for a really long time and it pisses me off so much.

If it were a zombie show not based on a beloved comic, it would have probably been a good episode.
As episode of a zombie show based on a beloved comic, it was absolute fucking shit. :\

I'm glad those writers got fired. Maybe next season will get back on track like the early episodes of this season.

Sam
12-05-2010, 08:45 PM
This last episode was a complete waste and disappointment. My problem with it is that it didn't advance the story one iota. It didn't move it anywhere. Nothing of any importance was revealed, no one of any impact died. The character who did die could have just as easily been killed by the walkers as anything else. This was a thoroughly disappointing season finale and AMC should be ashamed for having aired it. If Season 2 doesn't REALLY pick up in the first episode (maybe by the second), I will not be watching it. I absolutely will not be buying the dvd. Episodes 1,2, and 3 were very good and stayed true to the roots of the show. Episode 4 (Vatos) lost track of the idea of the city of Atlanta being OVERRUN with walkers and had a whole big ass group living in the city and apparently having trouble with other interlopers on top of all that. Um, coming close to jumping the shark right there. The end of episode 4 and episode 5 were returning the show back to it's roots, and then episode 6 the season finale happened. Not jumping the shark, but not a good episode. If it were just another episode, I'd say fine, we still have more to go, but this was the finale. Those who have read the comics KNOW where it should have stopped, but they dropped the ball. If it doesn't happen soon, I'm not willing to be onboard for the rest of it.

Emily
12-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Yea. That was disappointing.

haunted.lunchbox
12-06-2010, 10:26 AM
My biggest problem with last night's episode is that there were almost no zombies. I didn't hate it, I just think they are trying to make a show based loosely on the comics. I feel kind of bad for Shane though... I used to hate him, but now I kind of get him.

Sam
12-06-2010, 10:33 AM
The best thing about the comic though is that the zombies are often treated more like they are just another part of life. Sort of like showing wild animals in a show that's filmed in the wilderness. Every issue of the comic doesn't have zombies in it. The story is about the people, but each issue drives the story further. This last episode didn't do that at all, and that's my biggest complaint. I have others, but that's the biggest.

Heather19
12-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree about last nights episode. I wasn't keen on the whole CDC thing from the beginning. And for that to be the season finale! Like Sam said, it didn't advance the story one bit. I really hope it picks back up in season 2. And I also hope that it begins to follow the comics more.

Chris I hope you're wrong about "that" character staying on the show for a long time. Although in all honestly that's my biggest worry as well.

haunted.lunchbox
12-06-2010, 11:30 AM
In Walking Dead have they actually used the word Zombie?

Erin
12-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I actually liked last night's episode. I decided a couple weeks ago, I was going to try and stop comparing it to the comics so much, because then I would just get angry and not be able to enjoy the show for what it is. Viewing from that standpoint, I thought it was an exciting, tension-filled episode. I really loved the interaction at the end between Dale and Andrea. Good stuff. Now, the ultimate question, what did the doctor whisper into Rick's ear? I'm thinking it had to be something about the blood test and I think he said something along the lines of:

Spoiler from comic:

Your wife is pregnant and quite possibly, it's not your baby, since he had Shane's blood, too. Or it could have been something like you are all infected, but I doubt that since he said earlier that they didn't know if it was viral or not.

Erin
12-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Sorry for the double post, but just saw this question:

In Walking Dead have they actually used the word Zombie?

No, they haven't. I read somewhere (so it may or may not be true) that the show (and the comic?? I'm not sure) take place in a world where zombie movies, books, shows, comics, etc... don't exist, so they don't have anything to compare what is happening to them. They've never heard the term "zombie" or even have stories about the dead walking, so this is all 100% new and strange to them.

If that is true, thinking about it from that angle makes the show a lot scarier and demonstrates why they are so unprepared and confused.

haunted.lunchbox
12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I actually liked last night's episode. I decided a couple weeks ago, I was going to try and stop comparing it to the comics so much, because then I would just get angry and not be able to enjoy the show for what it is. Viewing from that standpoint, I thought it was an exciting, tension-filled episode. I really loved the interaction at the end between Dale and Andrea. Good stuff. Now, the ultimate question, what did the doctor whisper into Rick's ear? I'm thinking it had to be something about the blood test and I think he said something along the lines of:

Spoiler from comic:

Your wife is pregnant and quite possibly, it's not your baby, since he had Shane's blood, too. Or it could have been something like you are all infected, but I doubt that since he said earlier that they didn't know if it was viral or not.

Erin, I've been wondering what was said to Rick and I think your first guess is correct. I didn't hate the episode, but I really need more walkers in the show. I really liked the Doctor.

Erin
12-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I liked the Doctor, too. :)

Not sure if you saw it or not, because we were posting at the same time, but I answered your question from earlier, above.

haunted.lunchbox
12-06-2010, 12:28 PM
You know Erin, that makes sense because you would think you'd hear the word zombie at least once. I don't like that premise though, a world without zombie media is just too boring.

Did anyone notice that Darryl was one of the only survivors that didn't shower... I'm not surprised, I still love him.

Erin
12-06-2010, 12:31 PM
:lol: I totally didn't notice Darryl not showering, but that cracks me up. He's one of my favorite characters on the show right now. And speaking of him, where the F is Merle?

haunted.lunchbox
12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I super love Darryl and Merle. If I were to have to survive zombies with anyone on that show, it would be him.

haunted.lunchbox
12-06-2010, 12:34 PM
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16900000/Daryl-Dixon-the-walking-dead-16988545-500-357.jpg (http://www.fanpop.com/spots/the-walking-dead/links/16988545)

OchrisO
12-06-2010, 02:22 PM
In the comic they are generally referred to just as roamers or hordes, depending on how they are grouped.

I don't mind some change from the comic, but that episode was just way too much, especially for a finale. I'm hoping it was why the writers got fired.

I kind of hate Darryl, because he isn't from the comics. He reminds me of a lot of people from where I am from, though.

haunted.lunchbox
12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't think it's fair to say you don't like a character simply because he wasn't in the comics. I would be glad they added people, and are doing different things than the comics; however, I understand the dislike for last night's episode. I really think if there was some super bug outbreak or zombie infestation that hillbillies would then rule the world... seriously!

I actually think the reason I like darryl so much is because they didn't try to put someone 'pretty' playing him. I get so mad when they try to make super attractive people all gritty in movies and tv when you can clearly see they don't belong in the role. I really don't think they tried to make Darryl sexy.

Merlin1958
12-06-2010, 02:41 PM
I thought it was a good episode, but a lousy finale if, that makes sense. It would have fit much better as episode 6 of 13. At least they didn't leave a big-ass cliff-hanger. As far as the Doc's whispered message, you guys are probably right the wife is pregnant. That seemed pretty obvious to me anyway.

It didn't really give you anything to go on as far as what is next for the group. I guess that'll be the opening for the next season. I can't see them lighting out for France, but maybe somewhere to access communications would be my guess. Man, what a Gyp on such a short season!!!! Anyone know when its due back?

OchrisO
12-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't think it's fair to say you don't like a character simply because he wasn't in the comics. I would be glad they added people, and are doing different things than the comics; however, I understand the dislike for last night's episode. I really think if there was some super bug outbreak or zombie infestation that hillbillies would then rule the world... seriously!

I actually think the reason I like darryl so much is because they didn't try to put someone 'pretty' playing him. I get so mad when they try to make super attractive people all gritty in movies and tv when you can clearly see they don't belong in the role. I really don't think they tried to make Darryl sexy.

Kirkman is from Kentucky like me, so he knows all about the resiliency of hillbillies. :)

Rick and Shane are supposed to be the hillbillies of the group, because they are from Cynthiana, Kentucky. The show didn't need any extra ones.

Emily
06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
GUYZ:

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/06/season-2-first-look-photos.php

Pictures from Season 2 (albeit only zombie ones) omfgz. I can't wait.

LadyHitchhiker
06-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Oooooooooooh! Too bad I don't get amc anymore... Is it going to be available on amctv? My Majel will be disconsolate if she cannot watch her zombies for another season. She loves watching them groan and stumble around.

Erin
06-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Woot! This is all coming at the perfect time, I started a re-read of Walking Dead last week and I just to the new material I was behind on last night. Good stuff!

Merlin1958
07-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Heads Up!!!!! There is a "Sneak Peek" for Season 2 to be shown during the Season Premiere of "Breaking Bad" this evening!!!!

Bethany
07-17-2011, 08:01 AM
One of my friends was a zombie during a shoot last week. I guess I will have to watch.

Mattrick
07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
When does this season premiere? I'm looking forward to it :D

velcro_fly
07-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Sometime in October, that's all I heard so far.

Garrell
07-17-2011, 08:21 AM
They need to hurry, I can only watch my season 1 dvds so much.

OchrisO
07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I was listening to a podcast with Robert Kirkman over at nerdist.com and
(maybe not read this if you aren't a reader of the comics.)
he mentioned how Shane was still going to be around at Hershel's Farm in a conversation about how writing for the show was different from writing for the book, and how that would be some different writing and scenes. The fact that Shane will still be alive at that point makes me super angry. It also makes me think that they won't have Carl kill him when it does come time for him to die. If he doesn't, I will honestly stop watching the show.

Emily
07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
If he doesn't, I will honestly stop watching the show.

Same here.

Garrell
07-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Boo to the very short and blah "sneak peek".:angry:

Ben Staad
07-18-2011, 05:30 AM

+1

Merlin1958
07-18-2011, 07:39 PM

+1

+2 What a Gyp!!!! LOL

Merlin1958
07-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Uh-Oh!!!!!!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50567

OchrisO
07-27-2011, 08:19 AM
That's fine by me, since he was the source of story changes that have taken the series away from certain aspects from the comics that I have mentioned in spoilers above. Good riddance.

Click only if you have read the comics:

Kirkman has said in interviews that the only reason Shane is still alive is that Darabont wanted to explore the love triangle more than Kirkman did in the books. I want Shane dead....and exactly as he dies in the comics, goddamnit.

Erin
07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Awww yeah....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-su5CbSMOc&feature=share

Looks awesome!

Ben Staad
07-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks Erin! That was so cool and I can't wait for October.

Mordred Deschain
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I wana win the contest this time.

Merlin1958
07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Awesome Erin, just plain AWESOME!!!!!!!

:shoot:

Garrell
07-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Oct 16th is the start.

mystima
07-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Saw this and thought....hhhmmmmmmm....

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/television-without-pity/leading-walking-dead-233020272.html

JameseyLefebure
08-23-2011, 02:43 AM
really looking forward to Season 2!

I'm a HUGE fan of the comics and cannot wait until the show starts to get into the meaty parts of the series! and I seriously cannot wait until they introduce a certain female character....who likes swords!

Ben Staad
10-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Anyone else in here looking forward to Sunday? If I remember correctly they are replaying all of the season one episodes starting at 2 or 3 est which will lead straight into the premiere. Can't wait!

Shannon
10-14-2011, 09:51 PM
SO excited for The Walking Dead ... SO SOS SOSOSOSOSOSOS SO! EXCITED! lol

candy
10-15-2011, 02:20 AM
Starts here on the 21st October. What date does it air with yuo guys over in the states?

Shannon
10-15-2011, 07:17 AM
TOMMMMMMOOOORRRRROOWWWW! Yeaaaahhhh!! lol

Ben Staad
10-15-2011, 08:19 AM
TOMMMMMMOOOORRRRROOWWWW! Yeaaaahhhh!! lol

I can't wait! I'm a little mad at myself for reading volume two and not saving the surprises for the show.

Heather19
10-15-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't think you really need to worry too much about that. The show has been vastly different from the story so far. I'm kinda hoping they get back on track with the story though. I really hated that whole CDC bit in the last episode.

Shannon
10-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Loved the comic book. Some really amazing stuff right there. Bad news for fans of the comic: It has been mentioned in some interview with TWD comic creator, I forget his name, that The Governor will NOT be in the television show anytime soon. :(

Oh, and an added note, I just downloaded a Walking Dead "webisode" called Torn Apart about "one of your favorite Walkers" ... It's in a few parts, mostly a few minutes each, and I scanned the first ten seconds, looks good.

Ben Staad
10-15-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't think you really need to worry too much about that. The show has been vastly different from the story so far. I'm kinda hoping they get back on track with the story though. I really hated that whole CDC bit in the last episode.

I liked the CDC part. I thought it worked for the medium and as a conclusion to season 1.

DoctorDodge
10-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I still need to watch the rest of season 1. Not to mention start reading the comics, I've heard nothing but great things about that.

Heather19
10-15-2011, 11:15 AM
See I would have rather they just decided to move on. To me it's like that whole thing of having to give us answers when we don't really need them. The world is how it is, let's see how they deal with it. I am excited for the second season to start though :D

Shannon
10-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I liked the CDC part.

It provided a sense of false hope and a place for them to rest their heads for a while while thinking of their next move. It served as a decent season ending bookmark.

"Still need to watch the rest of season one ..."??? It's six episodes! lol

DoctorDodge
10-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, but my cable subscription ended halfway through, sadly!

alkanto
10-15-2011, 12:11 PM
All this talk reminds me that I need to finish it as well. I watched...the 1st ep and part of the 2nd, I think? it was over the Christmas holiday, so I was a bit busy. I did like what I saw, though...

Merlin1958
10-15-2011, 03:51 PM
I still need to watch the rest of season 1. Not to mention start reading the comics, I've heard nothing but great things about that.

I think they are replaying all of them as a prelim to the premiere tomorrow.

DoctorDodge
10-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Erm, remember Georgie: British, so I can't get watch the marathon tomorrow, unfortunatly!

Merlin1958
10-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Erm, remember Georgie: British, so I can't get watch the marathon tomorrow, unfortunatly!

Oops, sorry!!!!

Synopsis of season 1.........................Great!!!!!

Merlin1958
10-16-2011, 06:43 AM
2 minutes of "The Walking Dead season 2 premiere!!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51622

Hannah
10-16-2011, 10:59 AM
I can't wait! Just got Sunday night TV programmed and DVR'd. So many choices ...

mae
10-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Amazing episode last night. The Talking Dead thing afterwards was blah though.

Hannah
10-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Good to know. I DVR'd it but may just delete it rather than waste time watching it.

Shannon
10-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I was slightly disappointed in the episode. It was really good, but not WALKING DEAD really good, you know? A lot of great stuff, but a little damn slow and talkie, especially with the church scenes. But no worries, I am still a lover. :)

Merlin1958
10-17-2011, 10:59 PM
I was slightly disappointed in the episode. It was really good, but not WALKING DEAD really good, you know? A lot of great stuff, but a little damn slow and talkie, especially with the church scenes. But no worries, I am still a lover. :)

Know what? I agree with you Shannon. It was a good premiere, but not exactly what we have come to expect from this series. Maybe they should apologize to Darabont and move on?

Won't happen, but we can dream, right?

:mummy:

Ben Staad
10-18-2011, 03:07 AM
Well I finally caught up and watched this last night. I enjoyed it however (like others) I felt the moments of tension and the storyline itself could have been moved along at a brisker pace. The show is still great but I hope they don't make a habit of drawing everything out.

DoctorDodge
10-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Well, isn't this season supposed to be 13 eps? Whereas the first was only 6? Of course they're gonna drag everything out.

Seriously, I hope it isn't the case that they do it with every ep, but that was a major problem I had with the most recent series of Torchwood: taking 10 episodes to tell the kind of story that the previous series only took 5 eps to do. One of the big reasons why I ignore a lot of US network shows is that they plan the story out over 20 eps and then just kinda drag it, giving us only a few minutes of actual story every episode. I'm really hoping that's not the case here.

Anyway, come payday this week, I think i'll get the first season on either dvd or blu ray and maybe the first volume of the comic series to catch up.

mae
10-18-2011, 05:08 AM
The more the merrier, I say.

DoctorDodge
10-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Well, considering what happened to the US version of the Office, my motto is: The less crap eps, the merrier the great ones!

Hannah
10-18-2011, 06:45 AM
I agree with pablo on this. I hate the end of the season of good shows so if I get 13 epis instead of 6 then I'll deal with a little bit of dragging.

But Zagreus, I also see your point. Sometimes a story that can be told in six episodes should be told in six episodes, and if you want to do more episodes after that then start a new story. That way we can have two overarching plots in one season.

DoctorDodge
10-18-2011, 06:55 AM
That suggestion is pretty much exactly what my favourite show did this year: split it in two so that it could tell one major story over 7 eps, then took a break for the summer, before telling another fresh arc, with a more subtle, overall arc across all 13 eps. If season 2 of the Walking Dead can tell a huge story effectively across 13 eps, then I'm all for it, or it can tell 2 stories the length of season one's in one season, with maybe something small but important linking the two major arcs, but anything's preferable to telling a 6 episode story across 13 eps, imo.

Hannah
10-18-2011, 07:05 AM
That's what DVRs are for. If you get bored you fast forward the boring shit. Had I not been watching it with my purist husband I would have fast forwarded many of the scenes from epi 1. Like the chase scene where Rick falls down over and over again, the church scene, the annoying "blah blah blah my husband is awesome stop giving him such a hard time scene ..."

DoctorDodge
10-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Well, like I said, I still need to catch up. Unfortunatly, I don't have cable anymore, but if I keep hearing that the 2nd season is good, at least, then I'll try my best to look for it through...other means.

Hannah
10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Ooh... I'm glad I didn't post any spoilers! :)

fernandito
10-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Just got around to watching the premiere last night ... I'd give it a good 7/10.

Things I did not like
- Are you telling me that Dale was not able to spot a fucking horde of 200+ zombies until they were like 20 yards away?! Really ? REALLY !?!?
- They're afraid to fire their weapons because it will attract walkers, but the automated church bells were ringing LOUDLY for Gan knows how long and not a.single.walker showed up. Inconsistency much ?

Things I liked
- I love that the show is sticking relatively close to Rick's arc as is it plays out in the graphic novels. I can see the creators planting the seeds of Rick's eventual descent into a tough, bitter, and somewhat skeptic leader.
- The zombie costume design is PHENOMENAL. That's definitely been revamped for the new season. I dig it.
- I like that they decided to keep the Rick-Lori-Shane love triangle active. It adds a completely different dynamic than anything else on the show.

All in all, a fairly strong premiere and I'm definitely looking forward to next week's EP !

Heather19
10-18-2011, 08:20 AM
I completely agree about the horde of zombies. I had to laugh at that. At least put them a little further back. And it's funny the second that scene came on my friend texted me with the same exact response :lol: And I thought the church bells would have attracted the zombies too, but it didn't even make them hesitate from rushing over there.

And DD, I thought I heard that they're splitting up season 2 into 2 parts. So maybe we'll get 2 action packed half seasons.

Hannah
10-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Did anyone else notice that the zombies were quicker and smarter this season than last season?

Ben Staad
10-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Did anyone else notice that the zombies were quicker and smarter this season than last season?

Yep... I noticed that as well. I also thought that the CGI had declined slightly or they used it to much. I hate to complain because I love this show however it pisses me off when an untrained eye (myself) picks up on things that could be done better.

mae
10-18-2011, 08:50 AM
I felt the herd was done exactly right. The fact that they came out of nowhere was the point. First it was one, then two, and then a swarm all of a sudden. It's shock value, and it works (at least on my feeble mind - I'm the type of viewer that doesn't dissect things as they happen, cause I get totally immersed in the goings on and suspend all disbelief). I thought this episode was the best one yet, Cannot wait for next week. And thank God it will be 13 episodes and not just 6. A series this great should be on for a long time with tons of episodes, as it's such an interesting universe with amazing characters and great actors. I wish they get to trek all over the US, visit some interesting places (DC, New York, maybe out West?... maybe even other countries, like The Walking Dead: France for instance).

Also, this is making me want to read the original comics. I see there are seven hardcover collections out right now. How are those? Does the series follow the comics pretty much panel for panel, or are they both very different?

Hannah
10-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Read them, Pablo! No, the series does not follow the comics panel by panel. For example, Daryl is not even a character in the comics. The Shane/Rick/Lori triangle is handled differently.

mikeC
10-18-2011, 01:29 PM

Yep... I noticed that as well. I also thought that the CGI had declined slightly or they used it to much. I hate to complain because I love this show however it pisses me off when an untrained eye (myself) picks up on things that could be done better.

The shot of them driving on the highway away from Atlanta was Brutal! On par with a syfy channel movie. The highest rated show in AMC history apparently won't by you a respectable leaving the city shot.
There is a lot I didn't like in this episode, but I will say the first 20 minutes were intense regardless of how some parts didn't really make sense.

Shannon
10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Zagazig, Pablo (and anyone else curious) .... THIS is what you should buy. Not that expensive, it's HUGE, and it's awesome. I bought one for my brother last Christmas and one for my girlfriend a month or so ago. Trust me on this. It collects volumes 1-48. You might even find one a little cheaper on eBay. "Walking Dead Compendium".

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318991659&sr=8-1

Stranger: "... the storyline itself could have been moved along at a brisker pace." I couldn't have said it better myself.

Tito_Villa
10-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Does anyone know where i can watch this online? I'm based in the UK!

DoctorDodge
10-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Zagazig

It's Zagreus, you perfidious bounder! :P

, Pablo (and anyone else curious) .... THIS is what you should buy. Not that expensive, it's HUGE, and it's awesome. I bought one for my brother last Christmas and one for my girlfriend a month or so ago. Trust me on this. It collects volumes 1-48. You might even find one a little cheaper on eBay. "Walking Dead Compendium".

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318991659&sr=8-1

I've actually had my eye on this one for some time. The thing is with a compendium is that they're handy to have a lot of issues in, but difficult to read from, sometimes. I speak from experience of buying the first volume of The Darkness Compendium, which I still haven't quite finished yet. Something tells me though that I'll get through the Walking Dead much quicker. I think that when I'm caught up on my 2000AD reading (which I'm far too behind on, again), I'll order myself a copy.

mae
10-19-2011, 05:56 AM
I'm looking at either the 12-issue hardcovers, or the bigger 24-issue hardcovers. That compendium might be handy but it's softcover, and only goes to issue 48, whereas the 12-issue hardcovers are more regular and cover a lot more of what's already been published. Not cheap at around $18 a pop, but oh well. Maybe I'll make it a Christmas gift for myself :)

DoctorDodge
10-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Yeah, that's the decision. The Compendium's nice and cheap, but a little difficult to read and a little easy to wear out. Still, I'll continue weighing my options.

Btw, I finally got a cheap dvd of season 1 today, so I should be all caught up by the end of the week. I'll probably try and keep up with season 2, but the most likely option is fail to keep track or run out of room on my computer for downloads and just wait for the dvd release anyway. That's what happened with Game of Thrones, after all (i didn't expect the bastards to hold out on the dvd release for so long, though).

fernandito
10-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Single issues, 6 issue paperback, 12 issue hardcover, 24 issue hardcover, compendium ... it doesn't matter, just GET it. It's such an amazing series.

DoctorDodge
10-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Like I said, I will get it eventually. Got a fuck load of 2000AD progs to get through first before I can even think of adding another series, but rest assured, I will most likely get around to it within 6 months.

Hannah
10-19-2011, 08:24 AM
I bought the hardcovers. To keep up to date I cozied up to a coworker who reads the comics and convinced him to bring me in all of the individual issues as they come out. :lol:

mae
10-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I think I'll just go for the 12-issue hardcovers. They seem to be the best books in terms of look and content, and they come out pretty regularly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead#Hardcovers_.28usually_12-issue_collections.29

OchrisO
10-19-2011, 08:49 PM
I still get mad as shit every time I see

(spoiler from something that happens in the comic issue #6 that hasn't on the show yet))
Shane's goddamned face on the screen without it having a bullet from Carl's gun traveling through it. :angry_002:

Heather19
10-20-2011, 04:57 AM
Don't worry you're not the only one. That's one thing I really wish they had kept the same from the comics. It completely changes the entire story now.

Shannon
10-20-2011, 05:11 AM
I like the Shane character, and I'm sure he'll eventually get killed off. But I like that he's alive BECAUSE it's not like the comics. It paves the way for the show to differ from the comics, you know? So we all stay surprised.

OchrisO
10-20-2011, 05:14 AM
I'd rather see the comic I love faithfully recreated than to be surprised. If I want surprised I'll go watch something i have never read. Hollywood folk always use that as an excuse to add their own spin on stuff, but I don't think that the majority of comic fans want something different than what they read(certainly not all of the comic fans I know in person). They wanted a TV show because they loved exactly what they read so much.

Heather19
10-20-2011, 05:19 AM
I agree. I understand the need to change some things. And I can see adding in something different here and there just so long as it sticks to the overall story of the comics. If you're going to make it so different then why not just start fresh and create a zombie show unrelated to the comics?

mikeC
10-20-2011, 06:16 AM
I have a feeling he will be replaced by the brother who cut off his arm in the first season. Same concept but a with that guy. Then they'll be some sort of conflict,ect. I also think they will ditch the prison idea, although it would make AMC happy to spend less money in a small set I doubt they will do it.

fernandito
10-20-2011, 07:16 AM
That's a good theory mikeC, I like that.

Hannah
10-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I have a feeling he will be replaced by the brother who cut off his arm in the first season. Same concept but a with that guy. Then they'll be some sort of conflict,ect. I also think they will ditch the prison idea, although it would make AMC happy to spend less money in a small set I doubt they will do it.

Not to mention it'll totally give him justification to

cut off Rick's hand.

Erin
10-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Excellent theory, Mike!

I bet that's just what will happen. And it will make things very interesting with Daryl (who is by far my favorite "change" from the comics).

Oh, and Chris:

I still think Carl will kill Shane, but they're just drawing out the tension between Shane, Rick and Lori more before they do it to have even more of an impact. I keep waiting for it. Everytime I see Rick, Carl and Shane together, I am practically holding my breath waiting for it. Actually this past episode, I thought that's what was about to happen in the woods before the deer showed up. Speaking of the deer...yay for Herschel and Co.!

Heather19
10-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I was thinking the same thing Erin! :lol: And I hope you're right. It just better happen before the baby.
And I could definitely see them doing that with the Governor. It makes sense and I've actually been wondering about where he went. As for the prison. I really hope they keep that in.

I really need to catch up on reading the comics.

fernandito
10-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Yes, I would LOVE if they kept the prison sequence in the show. It's so diabolically twisted and sadistic, I love it.

OchrisO
10-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Excellent theory, Mike!

I bet that's just what will happen. And it will make things very interesting with Daryl (who is by far my favorite "change" from the comics).

Oh, and Chris:

I still think Carl will kill Shane, but they're just drawing out the tension between Shane, Rick and Lori more before they do it to have even more of an impact. I keep waiting for it. Everytime I see Rick, Carl and Shane together, I am practically holding my breath waiting for it. Actually this past episode, I thought that's what was about to happen in the woods before the deer showed up. Speaking of the deer...yay for Herschel and Co.!

I kind of expect them to
not have Carl kill him because Executives will say that the public will freak out if a kid commits murder or something lame like that. I saw Kirkman say in an interview that Shane will be around for a while because Darabont convinced him that the love triangle needed to be explored more. I was crossing my fingers in the deer scene and was very let down when it didn't happen. I just think that Carl killing Shane is something too major to postpone. It is connected to how Carl's psyche progresses in the comics, imo, how he becomes such a hard person, killing the kid later and all of that.

Shannon
10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
A little off topic, but does anyone else see a little Jake (Dark Tower series) in the kid that plays Carl?

One of the main things I liked about the comics was that BIG things happened to any and all characters, you know? It was always a surprise, and you never see what's coming around the corner. I hope they that feeling continues into the show.

DoctorDodge
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Well, I finally watched the first 2 eps in full (I caught it from only the 2nd episode last time), and I had forgotten how nicely paced this show is. Doesn't seem at all rushed, and yet moves things at a pace that a lot of shows take 20 episodes to do rather than just 6! I hope it does keep this up throughout both the first and second series, anyway. I also hope to get my hands on a copy of the compendium soon, if it's as good as the show.

Heather19
10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
It's better :D

DoctorDodge
10-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Ok, well, i'll catch up on my 2000AD reading this weekend (which considering I heard that Dredd's been shot, is a massive sign i am WAY too behind on the series!), and order myself a copy straight after! :D

Mattrick
10-21-2011, 09:32 PM
What time are the replays on in EST? Have a wrestling PPV but don't want to miss Walking Dead Sunday either. Glad I download Dexter or it'd be a hectic night.

OchrisO
10-21-2011, 10:24 PM
What time are the replays on in EST? Have a wrestling PPV but don't want to miss Walking Dead Sunday either. Glad I download Dexter or it'd be a hectic night.
Looks like it replays at 10pm est and again at 11:30pm est.

Mattrick
10-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Awesome, 11:30 is perfect...PPV should be over before 11. Looking forward to Michael Rooker coming back...Unless the person who took the shot is a new character, mine is on the black father and son (can't remember their names) from the first episode or it's Merle following them through the broadcasts.

Mattrick
10-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Walking Dead is like Dexter, will read after I watch the show...don't want things in the show to be possibly spoiled from comics nor do I want to compare the two until after. I read the first Dexter book after I watched the first season and once I heard the plots are different from season/book two on, I want to enjoy the TV plot first, then the Books. I imagine Walking Dead will also venture off in it's own direction.

fernandito
10-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Yes and no. I think they're going to stick closely to the comics for a good while since there is still plenty of source material to draw from.

Erin
10-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Did anyone else think last night's episode was a bit dull? I was just kind of "meh" about it.

*edit* The best part about it was Daryl pulling out Meryl's "stash". :lol:

Bev Vincent
10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Did you notice the blue crystal meth? Where's Heisenberg?

DoctorDodge
10-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Oh-oh, from the sounds of it, things are going so slow you yanks are gonna start seeing why us Brits have such short series! :lol:

Seriously, I do hope things pick up. Especially since I'm watching season one on dvd (not for the first time, at least not with most, as i only missed the first and last episodes of it), and I've really been enjoying it so far, so i'd hate to discover the 2nd season being considerably weaker when it comes out on dvd (i'm not going through the experience I had with Miracle Day a 2nd time, i'm just gonna wait for the box set for any show longer than 6 eps that isn't my favourite one). I also bought the Compendium, despite still having a fair bit to read of my 2000AD backlog.

Ben Staad
10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Did you notice the blue crystal meth? Where's Heisenberg?

No I missed that. Was it shown when the big bag of pills were pulled out?

Bev Vincent
10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Yep. I think it was the first thing he pulled out.

fernandito
10-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I didn't notice that ! I'll have to give it another viewing.

And Erin - last weeks episode was actually my favorite episode of this season thus far. I love that the producers are toying with our emotions when it comes to Shane, sometimes we sympathize with him, and other times we want to strangle him.

Bev Vincent
10-25-2011, 11:21 AM
AMC network said on Tuesday that its hit zombie drama, just two weeks into a second season, will be returning for a third season.

Sunday's episode drew an audience of 6.7 million viewers for the early airing and another 2.1 million viewers for the same-night repeat.

That eclipsed the year-ago audience for the series, which emerged as a surprise hit by averaging 5.2 million viewers weekly during that first season.

fernandito
10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Glad to see it doing so well :)

mae
10-25-2011, 01:11 PM
The Talking Dead thing afterwards is such a waste though. It's a good idea but it's so so so so superficial and stupid.

fernandito
10-25-2011, 01:38 PM
I haven't bothered with it. As soon as The Walking Dead finishes I usually jump right into my Dexter DVR'd episode haha.

Hannah
10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
I didn't notice that ! I'll have to give it another viewing.

And Erin - last weeks episode was actually my favorite episode of this season thus far. I love that the producers are toying with our emotions when it comes to Shane, sometimes we sympathize with him, and other times we want to strangle him.

Your favorite out of the whole two episodes thus far? :lol:

I loved the "and here's some awesome antibiotics for when he got the clap." part of the dope bag scene. Daryl's really shaping up to be my favorite character. He's just so bad ass. I don't mind the Talking Dead. Kirkman is one awkward goober though.

OchrisO
10-25-2011, 04:49 PM
I really enjoyed the recent episode because several awesome characters are introduced to the series via Hershel's Farm(Hershel and Maggie especially), so I am glad they are there.

I like Talking Dead because I am a big Chris Hardwick fan. Kirkman is awkward because he is from Kentucky. Us hill folk aren't used to all of them lights and hollywood contraptions.

Shannon
10-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Chris Hardwick is the man!

"DR. SATAN!" lol

Talking Dead is OOOKKKK, Amber and I watch it but probably not for much longer. It repeats scenes we've JUST seen, and the kill count emphasizes just how slow and zombie-less this season is so far.

I really enjoyed the last episode though. My heart really went out for Carl. Some great acting there. Even Otis, who shot the kid, he felt SO bad, and I really believed it, you know? And then the Shane and Rick scenes, great. Good episode.