PDA

View Full Version : Map of the whole dang mess

ChristafanofKing
09-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I've checked out the gallery's and I see that we have some real talent on this site, some very artistic fans! I am not an artist; nor am I, I don't know, focused enough, detail oriented enough???? But has anyone ever sat down and put pen to paper to figure out a map of the whole mid-world, end-world, etc.... For some reason, whenever I read the series I am trying to connect it geographically to somewhere familiar to me and it wrecks me when I read that they look left off of Turtleback lane to see the lake and in my head the lake was on the right (or east). Anyway, has anyone ever done a map or maps?

alinda
09-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Are'nt there maps of some descrip in the concordence's? I seem to remember them. However it is my oppinion that things are in the wrong place east/west etc... wise .
Time is not the only thing that has moved on , stuff gets pretty thin someplaces.:orely:

Willowtree
10-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Wish there were! It's hard to get a fix of ot all in my head sometimes!Thought of doing it,but was too lazy!

ChristineB
10-10-2010, 05:58 AM
King has stated that even direction has "moved on" in the world. So if you are one of those that likes to think of how these people are moving in terms of NSEW then you are going to go a little nuts while reading this series.

I know I had that issue in the first book and I think that was one of the reasons I couldn't get into it enough to finish it. Then I read about the directions in this world being hokey and that was all I needed to get over it. Just throw out your preconceived notions about direction and you will enjoy it much more. :)

This also makes maps a bit painful, IMO.

Brainslinger
10-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah. I got the impression the change in direction was mainly just slightly off rather than a full change of north to south though, which seems to be the case in The Gunslinger.

Actually I was curious to find out that the shifting of pole positions isn't unusual. It happens in our world too, at least where I live in the Northern hemisphere. Of course it's gradual variance over the year not different from day to day as it is in Mid-World.