PDA

View Full Version : TDGT - Round 2 - Steven Spielberg vs Terry Gilliam

fernandito
08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Steven Spielberg's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/)

Notable films : Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws
http://blogs.thecutekid.com/hot-star-now-cutekid-then/files/2009/11/steven_spielberg-getty-images.gif

Terry Gilliam's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000416/)

Notable films : Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Twelve Monkeys, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
http://ralphgus87.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/terry_gilliam.jpg

candy
08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
speilberg, in his day he was a genius

Mattrick
08-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Easily Spielberg. Great filmmaker of all time.

Jean
08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Terry Gilliam, without any doubt. I am happy that this time he wasn't paired with someone who would have made the choice hard for bears.

fernandito
08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Hard choice for me ... I like a large portion of Spielberg's work, but Gilliam's Brazil and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas are two of my all time favorite films.

Will think about this some more ...

Still Servant
08-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Hmm, I'm going to have to try and give Fear and Loathing another shot. I couldn't get through it the first time.

I loved 12 Monkey's, but I have to go with Spielberg.

Sam
08-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Spielberg. He has made some great movies AND some important ones as well. Schindler's List comes to mind.

fernandito
08-24-2010, 04:45 PM
My mind says Spielberg but my heart says Gilliam ... I really , really can't decide ...

:cry:

Odetta
08-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Gilliam

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Spielburg. Gilliam gets an A for Fear and Loathing, as well as Monty Python and 12 Monkeys, but the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was worse than terrible.

chtorrwar19
08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Jeez, I went with Gilliam in the end, but damn...

Woofer
08-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Peasant 1: How do you know he's a king?
Peasant 2: 'e 'asn't got shit all over him.

Woof!

Melike
08-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Terry Gilliam.

Jean
08-25-2010, 02:19 AM
I am beginning to like the developments in this poll...

Brice
08-25-2010, 03:41 AM
I am undecided for now. I just don't know... :(

Jean
08-25-2010, 03:42 AM
oops...

Brice
08-25-2010, 03:43 AM
:unsure:

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 04:18 AM
How the guy who made some of the most monumental films of our time is losing to the guy who made 12 Monkey's and Fear and Loathing I'll never know.

Jean
08-25-2010, 04:20 AM
I wish he was losing more convincingly

or, not to hurt any Spielberg's fans' feelings here, I wish Gilliam was winning more convincingly...

turtlex
08-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Went with Steven.... just because he has a deeper breadth of work, and fewer mis-steps ( I can think of only one, really, 1941 ). The guy gave us Jaws, Jurassic Park, Schlinder's List and Raiders. I can just keep going, naming excellent movies in many different genres .... I can't do that with Gilliam.

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Went with Steven.... just because he has a deeper breadth of work, and fewer mis-steps ( I can think of only one, really, 1941 ). The guy gave us Jaws, Jurassic Park, Schlinder's List and Raiders. I can just keep going, naming excellent movies in many different genres .... I can't do that with Gilliam.

Saving Private Ryan, Close Encounters, E.T., The Colour Purple, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, War of the Worlds

turtlex
08-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Yes, I'm aware of his complete catalog ... are you agreeing or disagreeing, my friend?

Darkthoughts
08-25-2010, 05:27 AM
That was a very hard decision, but I went with Spielberg - mainly because I think Jaws is one of the greatest films ever made.

turtlex
08-25-2010, 05:44 AM
:wub: Great tastes in movies, and a British accent. :wub:

Darkthoughts
08-25-2010, 05:45 AM
:lol: :couple:

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Yes, I'm aware of his complete catalog ... are you agreeing or disagreeing, my friend?

Agreeing. He's easily one of the most accessible and versatile directors in hollywood. Able to make good drama to sci-fi to action to horror. I think the only think he hasn't truly made is comedy, though comedy is in most of his movies.

turtlex
08-25-2010, 05:58 AM
:thumbsup:

Oh, and Always was sort of a comedy/drama - it's one of his more under-rated films.

Jean
08-25-2010, 06:27 AM
The guy gave us Jaws, Jurassic Park, Schlinder's List and Raiders.
that's exactly what I'm complaining of

Brice
08-25-2010, 06:29 AM
:rofl:

turtlex
08-25-2010, 06:30 AM

:lol:

One of the many reasons I love the Bear!!

fernandito
08-25-2010, 07:25 AM

I know of the bears dislike for Schindler's List, but what's wrong with Jurassic Park ?

pathoftheturtle
08-25-2010, 09:56 AM
My mind says Spielberg but my heart says Gilliam ... I really , really can't decide ...

:cry:♫♪ Then, tomorrow was another day, ♪
the morning found me miles away
with still a million things to say. ♪

♫Now, when twilight dims the sky above, ♪
recalling thrills of our love,
there’s one thing that I’m certain of... ♪

♫♪ Return I will to old Brazil.♫
Spielburg. Gilliam gets an A for Fear and Loathing, as well as Monty Python and 12 Monkeys, but the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was worse than terrible.Well, you do kind of need to cut a guy some slack when his star drops dead...

That was a very hard decision, but I went with Spielberg - mainly because I think Jaws is one of the greatest films ever made.
:wub: Great tastes in movies, and a British accent. :wub:
"In the end, people have to learn to live together. That is what I didn`t like about America - it is so homogeneous. I like places where there are people who are different culturally, physically, in every way. And I like to see how they succeed in living together."
~ Terry Gilliam

I know of the bears dislike for Schindler's List, but what's wrong with Jurassic Park ?http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/smileys/1sm066eyeroll.gifDude! Srsly, if you don't know, then I can't tell you.

fernandito
08-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Please, enlighten us ! :)

Walkingman79
08-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I had to even it up at 10 votes each.Speilberg has too many great films even though Fear and Loathing is one of my favorites.I could quote that movie all day!

fernandito
08-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Oops ! Forgot to mention that I voted for Gilliam.

pathoftheturtle
08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Please, enlighten us ! :)Three pounds of flax. :|
Oops ! Forgot to mention that I voted for Gilliam.:thumbsup: I knew you'd do the right thing in the end. :D
I had to even it up at 10 votes each.Speilberg has too many great films even though Fear and Loathing is one of my favorites.I could quote that movie all day!Ooo... you wascally wabbit! :panic:

Heather19
08-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I can't decide :panic:

Still Servant
08-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I never realized Gilliam was so popular.

People can say what they want about Speilberg, but he has directed some absolute timeless classics.

Saving Private Ryan is the best war film every made IMO. The Indiana Jones franchise is maybe the greatest movie franchise ever. Schindler's List is just an amazing film.

He's also directed some great sci-fi films, E.T., Minority Report, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Jurassic Park.

Freakin' Jaws. He directed freakin' Jaws.

Holy Grail is obviously a classic, but almost everything else Gilliam has done in his career can't even come close to SS.

IWasSentWest
08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
SS

Jean
08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I know of the bears dislike for Schindler's List, but what's wrong with Jurassic Park ?
Nothing. I can't even form an opinion. There's nothing wrong about it, just like there's nothing right, or any other discernible quality. It's a movie about dinosaurs. I am not interested in dinosaurs. Unfortunately, that's all the movie seems to be about.

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah, that's what it is. But being a kid when I saw that movie, it was just amazing. Nothing like that movie had ever been done before when it came out. It broke grounds for CGI, Robotics, Animatoronics and changed the way movies have been made since. Both Spielberg and Cameron (with T2 out the year before) changed that genre of cinema (aciton/sci-fi) forever.

Woofer
08-25-2010, 10:46 PM
E.T. ... ugh.

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.theonion.com/video/boy-finds-own-reallife-et,14384/#

Jean
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM
I am afraid bears don't give a flying f**k about CGI, Robotics, Animatoronics and the whole of action/sci-fi...

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 10:59 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Steven Spielberg put the magic back in films.

Jean
08-26-2010, 01:49 AM
I fail to see what you mean. Maybe because I mainly watch European cinema, which in its best examples never suffered lack of magic. Probably we have in mind different things when we say "magic", though.

fernandito
08-26-2010, 09:39 AM
It's a movie about dinosaurs. I am not interested in dinosaurs. Unfortunately, that's all the movie seems to be about.

The film is not just about dinosaurs. Like many sci-fi writer, Crichton is using science fiction elements to convey a socio-political message, in this case : man's eagerness to disrupt the natural order of things despite the consequences it may bring and our obsession with playing God. The following quote by Malcolm outlines this perfectly "Your scientists were so hung up on whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

It's a triumph on both a visual level and as a cinematic experience ... seeing the T-Rex escape it's confines for the first time and all that it represents is something I'll never ever forget, the theater room was completely in awe at what they were witnessing on screen. Seeing two distinct species separated by 65 million years of evolution being thrown back into the mix together (to paraphrase), that's one of the most unique ideas I've ever heard of and I'm thankful that Spielberg was able to create such a beautiful world for this idea to thrive in.

Jean
08-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Feverish... I respect your feelings, but really... then, it's a movie about dinosaurs with a socio-political message. I am not interested in movies about dinosaurs with socio-political messages. If I want to be in awe at what I witness, I'd rather go to the circus, a military parade, planetarium, things like that. There is a difference between a movie and a show, at least to bears... Circus, military parade and planetarium with a socio-political message isn't, really, what satisfies that place in my soul that needs a movie.

turtlex
08-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Feev - I love that explanation. :wub: I love JP, it's one I watch again and again.

Jean - I think what you're saying is how I like to describe the difference between a movie and a film.

To me, using SS as a platform : Jurassic Park is a great MOVIE. Schlinder's List is a great FILM.

Jean
08-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Jean - I think what you're saying is how I like to describe the difference between a movie and a film.
Believe it or not, it is just the distinction I made trying to explain to my student once what kind of cinema I liked: we decided to call ones "movies", and the others "films", and then, of course, got hopelessly lost because everyone kept forgetting which is which. In the end it was, "what Jean likes" and "what people like".

ETA: both Jurrasic and Schindler's look like "movies" to me, say sorry...

candy
08-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Feev - I love that explanation. :wub: I love JP, it's one I watch again and again.

To me, using SS as a platform : Jurassic Park is a great MOVIE. Schlinder's List is a great FILM.

or a book, jean your dis-like seems to stem from the story as opposed to the director? in which case the dislike should be aimed at Crichton instead of speilberg who brought it to life?

or i may be compleltey off base:orely:

turtlex
08-26-2010, 09:55 AM
:couple:

Honestly, part of what I like about movies/films is that sometimes, like it or not, a motion picture can be both!

Caveat ... amongst my friends, I am known as a "movie snob" which makes me laugh, because I'm all about the goofy, multi-billion-dollar comic book movies as much as I am about the quiet, dramatic indie cinema! :lol:

Jean
08-26-2010, 09:58 AM
or a book, jean your dis-like seems to stem from the story as opposed to the director? in which case the dislike should be aimed at Crichton instead of speilberg who brought it to life?

or i may be compleltey off base:orely:

No. It's the way the story is told: that is, the quality of the movie as a movie (film). My point wasn't that I won't watch a dinosaur movie; it was that I am very unimpressed by a movie about nothing else than dinosaurs (with or without a message), without any other qualities that would seem redeeming to me

pathoftheturtle
08-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Jaws is probably Spielberg’s best. It’s one of the finest of horror films. You have to give him credit for that, because after all, you can’t blame Spielberg for Jaws 2, Jaws 3-D, Jaws: The Revenge, and Jaws vs. Jason …or can you? Welcome to Hollywood... banal, banal, banal. ><

Jurassic Park, okay, it delivers an interesting message if you pay attention. It would be nice if more people were sensitive to chaos. The moral doesn’t really matter, though; we all know why folks watch this movie. They wanna see some dinosaurs! Why make a socio-political novel into a summer movie? To cash in on the action potential! Here’s a film ostensibly to show that carelessly using technology for amusement is likely to have unforeseen consequences… a film which used cutting edge effects technology and old-fashioned narrative contrivances. How hypocritical! The whole series is really just a big amusement for the public and, contrary to what was stated explicitly, the ultimate subtext is “Don’t worry too much about anything; someone will always find a way to work it out.”

candy
08-26-2010, 10:09 AM
for me it was close encounters of the 3rd kind, i loved and still love that film today

fernandito
08-26-2010, 10:13 AM
My point wasn't that I won't watch a dinosaur movie; it was that I am very unimpressed by a movie about nothing else than dinosaurs (with or without a message), without any other qualities that would seem redeeming to me

That's the thing, the film isn't just about the dinosaurs ! Leaving all of the political hocus pocus aside, the film is also about a group of people struggling to survive against such a powerful and deadly anomaly. Dr. Grant is forced to risk his life and protect a couple of children when in the initial portion of the film he stated how much he hates children. John Hammond's character has to come to the painful realization that some things in are just not to be tinkered with and he is forced to abandon the park, even though he put so much money and time into it , and even though it was his life's dream to see that idea come to fruition. The film is as much about the characters as it was about the dinosaurs.

pathoftheturtle
08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Admit it, though: it was not more about the characters than the about the dinosaurs. It couldn't have been, because that don't sell tickets.

fernandito
08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Admit it, though: it was not more about the characters than the about the dinosaurs. It couldn't have been, because that don't sell tickets.

Yes and no. Obviously the film was shot and marketed as a summer blockbuster so there needed to be extensive scenes showing the protagonists in near death situations of the carnivorous kind , of that there's no argument. But what's most intriguing about JP is, like I mentioned, how the characters cope with the dilemmas that arise, having absolutely no idea how the creatures will react or how best to diffuse the situation.

The trailers certainly focused heavily on the dinosaurs though ... but that's the case with virtually every movie trailer : the action heavy scenes are the one's focused on the most in an effort to increase the hype and get the audience riled up. Regardless of what the film is about, the trailers are shot and marketed in a certain way to optimize the amount of ticket sales. JP was certainly no exception in that regard.

Heather19
08-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Feev :huglove: You perfectly summed up why I love Jurassic Park so much. It's one of my favorites. I don't think I could ever tire of watching it. And now after all this discussion about it, I think you guys have swayed me into voting for Spielberg.

Mattrick
08-26-2010, 03:28 PM
ETA: both Jurrasic and Schindler's look like "movies" to me, say sorry...

Have you not seen Schindler's List?

Jean
08-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Yes, I have. I have already stated my opinion about it a few times.

Mattrick
08-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Spielberg...how I love the marketability for me to see and be pleased for sometimes i enjoy a movie that is entenrtaining, as much as I enjoy artistic films, and you do them so well.

alinda
08-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Terry Gilliam....good one :P

pathoftheturtle
08-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Spielberg...how I love the marketability for me to see and be pleased for sometimes i enjoy a movie that is entenrtaining, as much as I enjoy artistic films, and you do them so well.Well, at least you're honest. I can't argue with that.

mae
08-30-2010, 06:59 AM
This is such an unfair poll, as both are my favorites. Too bad one will be left behind.

Lisey Landon
08-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Jaws vs. Jason

:borg: ...does this film really exist?!!

Brice
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Now THAT would be a film. :rofl:

pathoftheturtle
08-31-2010, 07:30 AM
In production right now: Jaws vs. Jason (www.JawsvsJasonTheMovie.com)

Made ya look. :P

fernandito
08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Steven Spielberg advances !

Jean
09-01-2010, 03:47 AM
gr gr gr