PDA

View Full Version : The Big Top

ATG
08-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Me and Danny, my friend used to sneak out all the time. We used to take realty signs (http://www.belowthebeltline.org/junkyard/2005/images/realty-sign.gif) from one house for sale and carry them to another. We'd laugh at the thought of the agents going to the house and seeing a competitors sign there. The thought of the workers who placed the signs explaining how he had gotten the addresses wrong made us bust up.

We would take turns dragging the wooden sign, a mis-shaped cross and we would sometimes pretend to be Jesus.

Anyway, I was visiting my hometown and I decided to look in the field again where Danny had disappeared. Whenever I was here in my hometown I did that. It was a blur to me. I remember dodging cars and doorbell ditching on the way to the field. We always crossed the fields when we snuck out as there were horse stables; quarter horses, and we would go inside the large barn and feed the animals. It was exciting because we were trespassing.

The dry fall grass broke under my feet as I walked to the clearing where the tent had been.

We looked through the bushes and saw what looked like men, erecting the big top circus tent. I felt nervous, like if we got caught they would pack up the show and deny us the pleasure of a circus with the elephants and clowns. I put my hand on Danny's shoulder but he ran towards the round shape of the tent. I can't remember now, but there were lights, it reminded me of an advertisement and as Danny ran towards them they flashed and then the whole big top seemed to shoot straight up into the sky.

I ran home.

I remember going back the next day. I couldn't remember if I had met Danny or not the night before, it was all a little fuzzy.

I walked to the field, now as an adult, past the horse stables and looked at the ground. There was a new car lot a few thousand feet away and I wondered if the lights hadn't come from there. There were three marks burned into the grass, about fifty feet apart, just like three had been for thirty years. I remember that from when I was nine.

I stand now in that same field and look at the sky, just as I did then. They never found Danny.

I keep looking at the clouds. I think he's up there somewhere, and that wasn't a tent at all.

http://i33.tinypic.com/1045gr4.jpg