PDA

View Full Version : Why do YOU love watching movies?

Letti
08-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I think there are many reasons out there.
When we are watching a movie...
- it can be like being in a different world
- we can feel like being in the skin or the mind or the fate of someone else
- we can forget our problems for awhile
- we can find great messages and we can pick up kickass quotes...
- and so on and so on
but why do YOU love watching movies. What's the best about them?

Mattrick
08-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Mostly for me I a very stoic person. Maybe it's just my experiences in life that made me sort of numb but I usually are unable to feel the most extreme sides of emotions in life, happiness and sorrow. I dealt with depression for so long I don't even feel it anymore and happiness, well i put that out the window long ago. But I'm neither sad or happy most of the time, I'm right in the middle. Movies allow me to experience those other emotions. I tend to get emotional sometimes when I watch movies for that reason, gives me a chance to experience emotions I am unable to experience myself. Whether it's sad (The Pianist) or incredibly happy and fulfilling (The Royal Tenenbaums) I can feel those emotions.

Then you have the entertainment. Some movies are fun and some are funny. Some are meant to scare you but usually don't at all.

Letti
08-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Thank you for the open answer, Mattrick. I hope I don't hurt you if I say your answer is really interesting.

Still Servant
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I watch movies for so many different reasons I'm not sure I can list them all.

One of the main reasons I like watching all kinds of different films is because I feel I can learn a lot from them. I'm a professional videographer/editor and I feel I can learn a lot of new techniques by watching movies.

I'm also in the middle of writing a screenplay. Watching all kinds of movies helps for inspiration. I even like watching bad movies to learn about what not to do.

I'm also big into movie trivia. The more movies I watch, the more trivia I will absorb.

I also just love film. I like being transported for 2 hours and forgetting all of my problems. I like the feeling of walking out of a cold theater and having the warm air hit me in the face. For some reason I always feel more alive after watching a movie. Especially if it's good.

My parents used to own a movie store, so I've been watching movies for so long. I can't inamgine not being a huge movie buff. It's just a huge part of who I am.

Jean
08-09-2010, 11:14 PM
great thread, Nikolett, as usual

don't know if I can give a short answer, because I watch different movies for different reasons... will try to think how to put it in a concise form...

jamasianman
08-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I like the escapism. Which is why I like more unrealistic movies like science fiction and fantasy rather than realistic dramas or romance films.

Mattrick
08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Thank you for the open answer, Mattrick. I hope I don't hurt you if I say your answer is really interesting.

Good to hear its interesting. If there is one scene that gets me everytime it's in Reign Over Me when Charlie tells the story of losing his family. Very powerful stuff.

Hopefully one day in the near future I'll be making movies.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-10-2010, 01:18 AM
I like to share theme with friends who like the same type of movies as I do. It is fun to share the experience with good friends.

For instance, my best friend and I have almost identical taste when it comes to movies. We can watch a movie that we have seen a billion times together....A Fish Called Wanda comes to mind.....and just have an enjoyable afternoon laughing together, even though we could each quote the movie from start to finish. Once a movie has become iconic to me, its even more fun to watch it. Watching movies for the first time is enjoyable, but in a different way. When watching for the first time, the enjoyment comes in either unexpected laughs, or tense suspense.
There are some movies though, especially those from my childhood, that just have a comfort level for me. Watching them actually reminds me of a good time in my life, just like an old song can do. For this reason, I especially like watching my favorite movies.

Jean
08-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Once a movie has become iconic to me, its even more fun to watch it.
Same with bears.

(seen A Fish Called Wanda countless times, too...)

candy
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm the same as Jean i watch different movies for different reasons.

Comedies are fairly obvious, i am in need of a laugh and (normally) they can be an instant tonic.

Some films i enjoy as i learn things, normally the sci fi films, or the historic films

and also as Mattrick said its to feel extreme emotions that you wouldn't normally feel. Or in my case, its because i have felt them and then feeling that bond with another character - this may seem odd to some people, the only thing i can give you is an example
I am legend spoilerwhen he has to kill his dog, and you knew that it was for the best but it was still really painful for him? this helped me when Oliver was put down more than kind platitudes from friends who didnt really know Oliver.

told you it was daft!

the main reason i enjoy movies though is to talk about them afterwards, every film i watch with hubbie, we always finish watching them and then dissect them for hours afterwards - sometimes this is more enjoyable than the actual film!!

pathoftheturtle
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I choose "kickass quotes." :lol:

I'm of a pretty philosophic bent myself, so I always love these threads you start, Letti, which question things in very fundamental ways.

I'm not much into escapism. I love film for about the same reasons that I love other art forms... and so have grown disillusioned with it, as with them. On balance, the movies still is deeper and more significant than t.v. or pop music, though.

I most enjoy fiction which inspires, teaches, or enlightens me in some way.

Mattrick
08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I most enjoy fiction which inspires, teaches, or enlightens me in some way.

Read some Dostoevsky

Heather19
08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not even sure I can put into words why I love films so much. There's so many different reasons. But I guess one of the biggest reasons for me is that I see them as another form of art. And for similar reasons I can enjoy them. I love visual films. I'll often get lost in the beauty of them. Even if the story isn't that great, I'll still be mesmerized by what's on the screen. It can bring out different emotions in you. I also love the escapism aspect. Being able to see and experience things you wouldn't normally be able to.

Also I love to be scared, which would explain my obsession with horror films. Everyone always asks me how I can watch them so much, and my only answer is that I love that rush of tension that you feel. It just releases all of your stresses.

Letti
08-11-2010, 07:21 AM
It's very interesting to see that some of you say you can feel stronger emotions during watching a movie than IRL or you can meet emotions you never meet IRL. I can totally understand it moreover sometimes a movie can tear me apart as well still I find it... deep and interesting.

For my part I watch movies for many reasons (like most of us) but mostly for their hidden unspoken messages. I love digging under the surface of the movie as deep as possible and analyse every single quote and character.

cozener
08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
great thread, Nikolett, as usual

don't know if I can give a short answer, because I watch different movies for different reasons... will try to think how to put it in a concise form... I was thinking that too but then...

I like the escapism. It really does boil down to this for me no matter what kind of movie it is...documentaries to straight up fantasy. They still take me away from the here and now and entertain me (or not). The only other thing I can say is that a movie can be a time killer for me...something to hold my attention between the scheduled events of my life. I would say that I learn things from documentaries but the fact is I tend to choose documentaries about topics that I'm interested in (generally history documentaries) so I rarely learn something new from them. In fact, I have more fun mentally grading them for accuracy. :)

Melike
08-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Basically:
To grab the moments that are never going to end. Because you can go back to that moment a hundred times.
To taste different and unique imaginations and eat them all.
To find questions.

I'm not even sure I can put into words why I love films so much. There's so many different reasons. But I guess one of the biggest reasons for me is that I see them as another form of art. And for similar reasons I can enjoy them. I love visual films. I'll often get lost in the beauty of them. Even if the story isn't that great, I'll still be mesmerized by what's on the screen. It can bring out different emotions in you. I also love the escapism aspect. Being able to see and experience things you wouldn't normally be able to.

Also I love to be scared, which would explain my obsession with horror films. Everyone always asks me how I can watch them so much, and my only answer is that I love that rush of tension that you feel. It just releases all of your stresses.

It's very interesting to see that some of you say you can feel stronger emotions during watching a movie than IRL or you can meet emotions you never meet IRL. I can totally understand it moreover sometimes a movie can tear me apart as well still I find it... deep and interesting.

For my part I watch movies for many reasons (like most of us) but mostly for their hidden unspoken messages. I love digging under the surface of the movie as deep as possible and analyse every single quote and character.
When I've read both of your answers, a smile was born on my face. :) Now I know why I have very similar movie taste with you.

Brice
08-14-2010, 05:01 AM
With me there generally are no whys. I simply do. And (in this instance) it's not just laziness. When it comes to things I love there are no whys.

Jean
08-14-2010, 05:03 AM
the above kinda sums it up for bears...

Empath of the White
08-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Character arcs, seeing someone who started off as fairly normal step up to the challenge in a realistic way. The best example I can think of is Samwise Gamgee in The Lord of the Rings films.

Epic events and good visual: see the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. I like how you have a tropical setting as the backdrop of the epic EITC/Jones versus the Brethren Court.

Finally, I enjoy them simply to escape for just a little while to another world.

pathoftheturtle
08-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Long ago realizing that audiences watch movies for different reasons, the film industry uses certain categories for marketing to different people and to people in different moods. If you're interested in extending this discussion, here's a basic list to consider --

Comedy
Romance
Musical
Family
Drama
Action
Suspense
Horror
Documentary

frik
08-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Many movies I watch for just the performances. To see a particular actor at work. To just watch the face, or listen to the voice. Some actors with an absolutely fascinating voice are, I find, Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Richard Burton and Sir Laurence Olivier.
Some of the faces I never tire of watching: Peter Cushing, Karloff (again), Price (again), Ursula Andress and Barbra Streisand..Streisand's got a great speaking voice also...:)

sk

Woofer
08-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Everything above and more.

deadohsky
08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Escapism would be a large part of it. Also, i just enjoy the art of films, like a well crafted book or tattoo, it's all artwork (maybe not in the 'traditional' sense) that speaks easily to me.

turtlex
08-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Why do I love movies?

Because they take me away from myself and closer to myself, they bring me to others worlds and remind me that all things are possible.

candy
08-21-2010, 08:46 AM
aw - i love that sentiment, i may just pinch and sig that

turtlex
08-21-2010, 08:58 AM
:blush: Thanks, candy.

And you know what? I'm completely sincere about it, too.

pathoftheturtle
08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Good writing, Pam. Most of the time, theories on why we love art are easy to pick apart. With that reflexive form, I think you well express its irreduciblity.

Still, while I agree that what you said may apply to film in general, I have to ask whether it applies to every film. If you love movies because they do that, then don't you hate movies that don't? Ever seen any that do the opposite?

I mentioned here earlier that I don't have as much faith in art as I once did. I wonder, are the uplifting qualities you've mentioned inherent to movies or just a coincidence of good creation? I'm pretty sure that I'd love watching movies more if so many of them these days weren't so poor and worthless.

turtlex
08-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks. :grouphug:

You know, I even love the experience of a bad movie. I mean, besides the fact that bad movies can sometimes just be so over the top bad that they're good ... Everything ties in.

I just love watching movies. Even the bad ones. The bad ones make me reflect and appreciate the good ones even more. The introspection that we all make, even subconsciously, when we're deciding why a movie is horrible, that's a positive experience for me.

Film is art, even bad film.

It was my mother who instilled a love of the movies in me, and I will be forever appreciative of that.

pathoftheturtle
08-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, I can’t fault you for having a positive attitude.

I just don’t feel like I have time in my life to waste. I don’t wish to escape from reality; I wish to improve it. Of course, self-improvement is also important -- some movies offer insights of use in daily living -- but that does not mean much if we never reach the point of genuinely putting those into practice. It’s ridiculous to learn to from a film just so that we can learn more from the next one and on and on until we die. Watching movies is a fairly passive activity. To play sports is a good thing, because people develop themselves in so doing; teamwork, physical fitness, and etc. are important things for humans to have – however, I don’t really understand why others love to watch people play sports in the way that so many do, following some team fanatically which actually has nothing to do with them. I’ve never held the least bit of respect for any form of self-deception; pretentiousness, intellectual dishonesty… Generally speaking, I prefer over any of these hobbies to focus on politics: society belongs to everyone, and none of us should overlook the tasks of citizenship. There is so much to do, and so little time. Art, I think, is a bit different, though, if you watch with an eye towards making your own. A mediocre film is interesting when your mind is on what you would do differently; dynamic attention to techniques can redeem the experience (again presuming that one eventually gets out of the armchair). But, then, we could further distinguish, IMHO, between poor movies and bad movies. What do you think about films which spread negative ideas? Doesn’t it bother you when stories which degrade women, for example, are routinely marketed? I’m not suggesting censorship, by any means: just pointing out that entertainment sometimes does do more harm than good, in my opinion. Would you like to direct films if you had to make only the kind that are opposed directly to personal beliefs of yours? Culture as a true source of guidance for behavior (and the humanities which proceed from this fundamental concept) get no respect these days. Most people now view artists like zoo animals. Childish, and good only for occasional diversion. Given this situation, why would I want to think about how to become one? Can the artists recover from inside their field the undermining of it from without? I used to admire certain stand-up comics who boldly observed examples man’s inhumanity to man… until I noticed that it’s those who are most guilty of the very things they describe who laugh the loudest and then go on just the same. That’s what breaks my heart.

“I look at you all, see the love there that's sleeping, while my guitar gently weeps.”

Brice
08-27-2010, 05:00 AM
I just don’t feel like I have time in my life to waste.

As long as you are enjoying yourself you can't waste time. :)

DoctorDodge
08-27-2010, 06:25 AM
I enjoy watching films for a variety of reasons, sometimes to be shocked, sometimes to think, but i'll be honest: it's mostly for pure entertainment. But it has to be actual entertainment for me to enjoy it. I don't want to see a film that's all about explosions and not much else: style over substance is ok, in fact it can be brilliant if it's done right, but a ton of effects do not count as style, which is one of the reasons why I love Robert Rodriguez films and hate Michael Bay movies.

I also love the whole cinema experience, too, especially if the film's really worth it (Inception being the best example right now). I like a lot of comedy films, but it's rare that I'll go and see one at the cinema unless it's Edgar Wright: he just has a way of making comedy seem...well, cinematic. His movies are everything I enjoy about movies: having a great time whilst having a style that just leaves you amazed.

There's probably a ton of other reasons that I love watching films, but being so great they just leave me with a vocabulary like Keanu Reeves and just thinking "Whoa!" afterwards is probably the best one I can think of!

pathoftheturtle
08-27-2010, 12:42 PM

That's ... short-sighted.
To say the least.

Jean
08-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree with Brice here. No moment of happiness is ever wasted.

Brice
08-28-2010, 01:53 AM

To say the least.

Maybe not as short sighted as it seems. And what if the only purpose in life is pleasure (both yours and others) whether there is a god or not? What if there is no higher purpose. I propose that there isn't.

Jean: :thumbsup:

fernandito
08-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Feverishparades agree with Brice too :thumbsup:

Heather19
08-28-2010, 06:39 AM
I don't think I could ever consider watching films a waste of time :couple: Sure there may sometimes be other things that I should be doing instead but that's my own personal choice and if I'm enjoying myself then to me it's not a waste.

Still Servant
08-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Well, since you don't waste time watching movies like us lowly humans, what are some of the more productive things you have done with your time?

What was the last disease you cured? Have you solved world peace yet?

Also, not being able to see why people love to watch sports is one of the most pretentious statements I've ever read.

Jean
08-28-2010, 10:23 PM
pretentious or not, I subscribe

and, Still... you know, the options are not limited to "waste time" and "save mankind". There is a lot of stuff in between.

Brice
08-29-2010, 01:42 AM
...and if you don't like people, saving mankind is a waste of time. :evil: :lol:

I subscribe along with those who don't get watching sports too. I mean I understand people do enjoy it. I just never saw why. There's no thrill in it for me.

Well, unless the Red Sox are winning...and even than I only care about who wins the series. Everyone else is a loser.

Still Servant
08-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Watching sports is the same as watching a movie to me.

Every game has a story. You learn to like certain players. You want to see them do well It's entertaining.

Geez, I knew that not everybody likes watching sports, but I didn't realize there were so many people that don't "get" why other people like watching it.

pathoftheturtle
08-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Well, since you don't waste time watching movies like us lowly humans, what are some of the more productive things you have done with your time?

What was the last disease you cured? Have you solved world peace yet?

Also, not being able to see why people love to watch sports is one of the most pretentious statements I've ever read.1. Pretentious people tend to claim that they understand things they don't, not that they don't understand things they do. If I could see why people like to do that, maybe I would like to do it. Honestly, I can't.
2.You don't know me. Clearly.
3. I never said I don't watch movies.

Watching sports is the same as watching a movie to me.If these were the same to me, then I would not watch movies.
I agree with Brice here. No moment of happiness is ever wasted.I believe that the random must not overwhelm the purpose. I cannot justify simply doing whatever I feel like. I'll give all of you the benefit of the doubt for yourselves if you say that you see it differently, but don't expect me to abruptly start thinking that same way. I've always tried to do what needs done, as best as I can determine, and I don't mind a little unhappiness. C'est la vie. It's not all fun and games.
... what if the only purpose in life is pleasure (both yours and others) whether there is a god or not? What if there is no higher purpose. I propose that there isn't.Scabies. Shingles. Athlete's foot. Jungle rot. Leeches. Ringworm. Bedbugs. Cancer. Hypothermia. Hemophilia. Just a few of the amusements in our world. Epilepsy! Now that's fun. I propose that even if we assume that we are supposed to conquer all unpleasantness to make the world completely pleasurable for our kind, that still logially reduces our purposes to no less than two: the pleasure, and the conquest. Hypothetically, if God or the universe wanted us to have fun all of the time, then things could have been better suited for that since the very beginning. And if that hypothesis is wrong, if there is no abstract omnipotence, then the concept of what the universe "wants" may just be meaningless, leaving only what is: Work. There is work to do. You cannot escape karma.
I don't think I could ever consider watching films a waste of time.If it's that self-evident, then who really needs this thread, anyway? I don't think that we can actually give a very meanful answer to WHY we love movies if we don't acknowledge any possible reasons not to. There's a Hegelian Negative here if we care to search it out.

fernandito
08-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I like movies because they're cool.

:)

alinda
08-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I like movies when I am not reading, working or sleeping.:wtf:

Or eating of course.

Ricky
08-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Among everything else that others have mentioned, movies are good excuse to eat popcorn. Otherwise, I'd probably never have it. :lol:

alinda
08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
*snap* Ohhhh yeah, especially the really good (poisonous) kind at the movie theatre!

pathoftheturtle
08-29-2010, 02:25 PM
I like movies when I am not reading, working or sleeping.:wtf:

Or eating of course.You can watch them when you're eating. And there's some people who watch movies for a living.

Ricky
08-29-2010, 02:26 PM
You mean the kind drenched with butter and salt in the middle and on the top? :drool:

Heather19
08-29-2010, 02:40 PM
You mean the kind drenched with butter and salt in the middle and on the top? :drool:

:drool: That's one of the best parts of going to the theater!

Ricky
08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
In some cases, better than the actual movie. :lol:

Heather19
08-29-2010, 02:50 PM
:lol: Very true!

Jean
08-30-2010, 01:59 AM
I agree with Brice here. No moment of happiness is ever wasted.I believe that the random must not overwhelm the purpose. I cannot justify simply doing whatever I feel like. I'll give all of you the benefit of the doubt for yourselves if you say that you see it differently, but don't expect me to abruptly start thinking that same way. I've always tried to do what needs done, as best as I can determine, and I don't mind a little unhappiness. C'est la vie. It's not all fun and games.
seems like there's been some misunderstanding here; no, life isn't all fun and games, but life is not all watching movies, either, so I can't see how what you said contradicts what I said. What I meant is if a movie gives you one of those rare moments of happiness, if doesn't really matter whether it came from something deep and spiritually enriching, or just something silly and entertaining - if you were happy at this precise moment, it is good for your soul, and makes you better able to cope with whatever challenges the so-called real life may provide. It's the same with books: Jeeves and Wooster is very good for a troubled soul. I firmly believe that the happier we are, the stronger we are, and the happier we can make people around us. That is why I am very much in favor of entertaining movies, the soul needs them as much as it needs that other kind of movies I am so fond of - well, for me it's the "real" cinema versus the movies as entertainment, but I do believe we need entertainment as well.

pathoftheturtle
08-31-2010, 07:44 AM
Ah, but saying that entertainment can be good is not the same as saying that it can never be bad.

It's reasonable to say that you work better if you get 8 hours of sleep... yet not reasonable to say that 16 hours is better still. Can we devise a formula as with sleep to show the optimal amount of movie watching? No, it's not that simple, of course.

It may be true that movies can help us cope with the challenges of life, but it does not follow that that is the perfect definition of why we watch movies. I had a point I wanted to clarify, even if it does not directly contradict the side of things which you're currently considering.

I think you and Brice may have actually been closer to the truth when you were saying "There is no why." It may not be possible for any general theory to explain film, or establish rational standards for dividing the cool from the uncool. If it is possible, the theory would have to be a very complex one with many sub-clauses... and as soon as it was written, some filmmaker would set out to poke holes in it.

Heather19
08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
It may be true that movies can help us cope with the challenges of life, but it does not follow that that is the perfect definition of why we watch movies. I had a point I wanted to clarify, even if it does not directly contradict the side of things which you're currently considering.

I think you and Brice may have actually been closer to the truth when you were saying "There is no why." It may not be possible for any general theory to explain film, or establish rational standards for dividing the cool from the uncool. If it is possible, the theory would have to be a very complex one with many sub-clauses... and as soon as it was written, some filmmaker would set out to poke holes in it.

I don't think there is only one reason why people watch films. I think everyone watches them for various reasons. Why one person watches them could be completely different from why someone else enjoys them. And likewise I'm also sure each individual has numerous reasons for watching films and not just one. I don't think it could ever be narrowed down. So I personally would have to disagree with the statement that there is no why. To me there's so many whys.

Jean
08-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Path: I never said "no moment of entertaining oneself is wasted". I said, "no moment of happiness". It's not that entertaining yourself is tantamount to being happy.

pathoftheturtle
09-02-2010, 06:45 AM
So where does "enjoyment" fall? :orely:

To say the least.I agree with Brice here. No moment of happiness is ever wasted.

Jean
09-02-2010, 06:53 AM
oh, I see! it's all because of re-quoting. Like, you know, we turn one word into another changing one letter at at time

happiness - enjoyment - pleasure - self-indulgence - hedonism

No, I didn't mean this. I was raising Brice's stakes.

enjoyment - happiness - catharsis

pathoftheturtle
09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
No, I'm certainly not so easily fixated. I have been talking about general issues. I'm still interested in whether movies are inherently good. I don't love every single one, myself. However, I suppose that the argument could be made that what is good in them is inherently subjective, so that one man's trash is another's treasure. I'm not certain yet.
So, if we agree that catharsis is a good thing, do we have to get it from film? What makes this medium indispensable?

Jean
09-02-2010, 07:39 AM
path - you're aware of course that you're not talking about movies here, but about the place and [non]significance or art in human life?

pathoftheturtle
09-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Is that bad? Sorry if I'm off-topic.

My concern is prevailing social conditions; I feel like these days movies fill a gap in many people's lives, which isn't really ideal. Of course, we never have had an ideal world, but I think that it'd be nice if we here could articulate what distinguishes healthy appreciation from compulsion. Don't mean to point fingers or to belittle any of you: It's just that it's a subject that often weighs on my mind.
If I'm the only one who feels that way, I guess that it is good for me to find out just that.

Jean
09-03-2010, 03:29 AM
No, it's not bad. I only want us both to be clear as to what we're talking about. I will think of what you just said - I never looked at it this way (although I probably should have).

pathoftheturtle
09-04-2010, 09:39 AM
You and I have had differences over just this type of matter for as long as we've known each other, Jean. I think that that may have to do with our very different environments. I do know something about deprivation, but I also think often about decadence, largely due to what I see around me. A lot of Americans justify behavior that doesn't really make sense in context of their affluence. I don't totally disagree with your points here. The problem is that too much distraction is just crazy.

I'm also still interested in what everyone else here might have to say. Is it possible to truly define what it is that makes the best films so special?