PDA

View Full Version : TGDT - Round 1, Group O

fernandito
08-08-2010, 07:59 AM
The Wachowski Brother's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0905152/)

Notable films : Bound, The Matrix, The Matrix : Reloaded, The Matrix : Revolutions, Speed Racer
http://www.synthstuff.com/mt/archives/Wachowski-brothers.jpg

Christopher Nolan's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0634240/)

Notable films : Memento,Inception, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Prestige
http://images.contactmusic.com/images/reviews/cnolan.jpg

M. Night Shyamalan's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0796117/)

Notable fims : The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable , The Village, Lady in the Water
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/entertainment/08/06/02_mnightshamamamalon_lgl.jpg

Ridley Scott's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000631/)

Notable fims : Alien, Gladiator , Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven

http://gordonandthewhale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ridley_scott.jpg

Jean
08-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Shyamalan

mae
08-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Scott is one of the best ever.

candy
08-08-2010, 08:35 AM
harsh!!!

I have to go Nolan, just because i have not seen a bad film of his, but unfortunatley i have of the others

mystima
08-08-2010, 08:37 AM
darn you had to put both the Wachowski Brothers with M. Night Shyamalan....can't decide......:onfire::onfire::onfire:

fernandito
08-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Christopher Nolan, currently my favorite director. :)

Mattrick
08-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Shyamalan is by no means terrible but imo he's only had two excellent movies, Sixth Sense and The Happening. Signs and Unbreakable are good. Haven't seen Village and I heard Lady In The Water was just pure trash.

I love Ridley Scott. Matchstick Men is my favourite movie of his. But I think Christopher Nolan has been the best thing to happen to movies in the last ten years. As good as Scott is, he never stood out as the best of a generation where Nolan easily has.

Going with Nolan.

Odetta
08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Mr. Scott (yes, I said Mr.)

Heather19
08-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Nolan

Still Servant
08-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised M. Night has two votes. He burst onto the scene with Sixth Sense and had a great followup with Unbreakable, but it's been downhill since then.

In fact, with his latest bomb, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see his name for a little while.

Mattrick, you have to explain to me what you thought was excellent about The Happening (18% on Rotten Tomatoes.) I thought it was one of the worst films I've seen in ten years.

It's funny how Feev put M. Night and Nolan in the same bracket. Two careers that are going in two total opposite directions. M. Night's career once looked as promising as Nolan's current career. Sadly, I'm not sure if he can get it back.

Went with Nolan.

Brice
08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Scott

DoctorDodge
08-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Nolan is, undoubtedly, one of the best directors currently out there. He brought Batman back from being something of a joke at the movies to hugely respected films in their own right, and Inception is one of the best scifi films of the past ten years.

But are any of those quite as groundbreaking as either Alien or Blade Runner? I'm gonna have to say no. With Alien, not only did Ridley Scott direct what is in my mind one of the best horror films ever made, he also pushed the way forward even further than Lucas did with the use of special effects in storytelling. (Not that Lucas's particularly over fond use of effects makes him a great director in the slightest, but with Star Wars at least he was able to tell a good story when he used those effects appropriately, and really knew how to make visual effects appealing to filmmakers. So we hate him for the prequels, but at least he inspired a ton of other great directors! :lol:)

Then, even better, he made Blade Runner, easily one of my favourite films of all time and to this day, looks absolutely fucking amazing (seriously, saw it at the cinema a couple of years ago in HD, and even after watching it a ton of times on DVD beforehand, it still amazed the hell out of me), and has one of the most complex and multi-layered plots I've seen. What really shows that Scott is a truly great director to me though is that Philip K. Dick absolutely hated the screenplay of Blade Runner. When he actually saw some footage of the film and saw it matched his vision, or at least was close to it, he gave Ridley Scott his full backing.

In my opinion, that's a sign of a great director. It's one thing to translate a great screenplay and turn it into a great film. It's another to take a completely shit screenplay and turn that into a great film instead! So Scott definitely gets my vote!

Odetta
08-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Nolan is, undoubtedly, one of the best directors currently out there. He brought Batman back from being something of a joke at the movies to hugely respected films in their own right, and Inception is one of the best scifi films of the past ten years.

But are any of those quite as groundbreaking as either Alien or Blade Runner? I'm gonna have to say no. With Alien, not only did Ridley Scott direct what is in my mind one of the best horror films ever made, he also pushed the way forward even further than Lucas did with the use of special effects in storytelling. (Not that Lucas's particularly over fond use of effects makes him a great director in the slightest, but with Star Wars at least he was able to tell a good story when he used those effects appropriately, and really knew how to make visual effects appealing to filmmakers. So we hate him for the prequels, but at least he inspired a ton of other great directors! :lol:)

Then, even better, he made Blade Runner, easily one of my favourite films of all time and to this day, looks absolutely fucking amazing (seriously, saw it at the cinema a couple of years ago in HD, and even after watching it a ton of times on DVD beforehand, it still amazed the hell out of me), and has one of the most complex and multi-layered plots I've seen. What really shows that Scott is a truly great director to me though is that Philip K. Dick absolutely hated the screenplay of Blade Runner. When he actually saw some footage of the film and saw it matched his vision, or at least was close to it, he gave Ridley Scott his full backing.

In my opinion, that's a sign of a great director. It's one thing to translate a great screenplay and turn it into a great film. It's another to take a completely shit screenplay and turn that into a great film instead! So Scott definitely gets my vote!

this

pathoftheturtle
08-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I've been impressed with Nolan, expect him to do great things... though I haven't had a chance to see Inception yet.

Sam
08-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Ridley Scott, not questions about it.

fernandito
08-11-2010, 10:22 AM
... though I haven't had a chance to see Inception yet.

You should remedy that asafp. :D

IWasSentWest
08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
it was between scott and nolan. nolan is the best, but i voted scott because of blade runner. i couldnt vote against it

DoctorDodge
08-11-2010, 02:18 PM

Says the man who loves awesome shows and awesome storytelling and yet hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who! :P

Seriously, with all the hype and the discussion across this board, I think pathoftheturtle is at least slightly aware that Inception is certainly a highly popular film atm, but just remember that overhype can kill an interest in a film. I know that even though Christopher Nolan has directed two of the best Batman films ever, I was not only skeptical that another film focused on dreams could work (since I've seen it explored plenty of times in both a ton of scifi shows and films like the Matrix), but also a bit put off that, with all the huge critical attention it was getting, I'd have too high expectations that it wouldn't live up to the hype. It was only through recommendations on this board (most of which by you, feev!) that I finally decided to take notice. Still, I couldn't help try to be critical, just a little bit, just because I was so sure it couldn't live up to the hype, but it was too good for that.

Then again, I'm an idiot, especially when it comes to films, since I really haven't seen that many, or at least not as many as a lot of film fans on this board, so I'm sure someone can nitpick better, even as great a film as Inception, and then it'll become easy to focus on one particular tiny thing until it becomes your main point for saying "this film sucks" just because everyone else thinks it's great.

However, maybe I'm just petty like that, but it's worth keeping in mind: too much hype can really kill interest. That's why I limit my mentions and recommendations to people who haven't seen Doctor Who to watch it (including you, feev) to about, ooh, only 10 times a day! :lol:

pathoftheturtle
08-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Says the man who loves awesome shows and awesome storytelling and yet hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who! :P

Seriously, with all the hype and the discussion across this board, I think pathoftheturtle is at least slightly aware that Inception is certainly a highly popular film atm, but just remember that overhype can kill an interest in a film. I know that even though Christopher Nolan has directed two of the best Batman films ever, I was not only skeptical that another film focused on dreams could work (since I've seen it explored plenty of times in both a ton of scifi shows and films like the Matrix), but also a bit put off that, with all the huge critical attention it was getting, I'd have too high expectations that it wouldn't live up to the hype. It was only through recommendations on this board (most of which by you, feev!) that I finally decided to take notice. Still, I couldn't help try to be critical, just a little bit, just because I was so sure it couldn't live up to the hype, but it was too good for that. ...Um... actually, I've just not had time and $ for it... and feev's suggestion, to me, was hil-f'n-arious.
Thx, tho, DD.

Jean
08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
bears can't watch Inception now, either... don't know how long they will have to wait... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

fernandito
08-13-2010, 06:08 AM
*Bump

Jean
08-13-2010, 06:12 AM
here, at least, the result is pretty obvious, I don't think anything will drastically change at the 11th hour

Melike
08-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Nolan. A hundred times.
I haven't seen The Inception yet. But, Memento is great. Ah, and there is The Dark Knight also.

fernandito
08-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Nolan. A hundred times.
I haven't seen The Inception yet. But, Memento is great. Ah, and there is The Dark Knight also.

I :wub: you to infinity and beyond.

Woofer
08-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Oh yay! So glad that one of the entries that didn't win didn't win.

fernandito
08-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Ridley Scott and Christopher Nolan advance !

Seymour_Glass
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Damn. I wish i could have voted for Chris Nolan.

Cuz, I gots me some beef with Ridley Scott.

pathoftheturtle
08-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Damn. I wish i could have voted for Chris Nolan.

Cuz, I gots me some beef with Ridley Scott.Stick around, the tourney's still going on.