PDA

View Full Version : TDGT - Round 1, Group I

fernandito
07-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Edgar Wright's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0942367/)

Notable films : Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs the World (upcoming)
http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2008/04/edgar-wright.jpg

Danny Boyle's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000965/)

Notable films : 28 Days Later, Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire, Sunshine, Shallow Grave
http://www.topnews.in/files/Danny-Boyle_0.jpg

Hayao Miyazaki's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0594503/)

Notable films : My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service
http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/hayao_miyazaki_princess.jpg

Spike Jonze's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005069/)

Notable films : Where the Wild Things Are, Being John Malkavich, Adaptation
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IbxQFnWai3A/TBR1r-HJlJI/AAAAAAAABeI/WZvFcjMhhNs/s400/jonze2.jpg

Sam
07-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Miyazaki.

fernandito
07-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Danny Boyle for having the audacity to tackle different genres and the talent to craft excellent films in any genre he ventures in.

Heather19
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
This is such a tough one for me. I'm going to have to think about it for awhile.

Brice
07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
I actually don't have any interest in this particular poll.

Heather19
07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
:(

Jean
07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
ditto

Brice
07-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Of all the movies listed by those directors I'vee only seen Being John Malkovich and 28 Days Later

Jean
07-30-2010, 09:45 AM
bears have seen more (well, they are older...), but were not particularly impressed

Melike
07-30-2010, 10:24 AM
:nope: Bricey. Bricey. Bricey.

This is such a tough one for me. I'm going to have to think about it for awhile.
Yeah, I know. Danny Boyle's Trainspotting is one of my favorite movies ever and his other works are also very good. Miyazaki will always have a part of my heart with his creativity and sight of beauty. Howl's Moving Castle. Spirited Away. As soon as I mention these titles I feel a deep happiness inside. And this is not even close to exaggeration.
Spike Jonze... None of his works are specifically favorites for me but I still love all of them. Being John Malkovich was the most impudent movie to me at the time I first saw it; maybe because of my young age. I loved Adaptation despite the fact that Nicolas Cage was the leading actor. Where the Wild Things Are... Another good work.
So, I don't know...

Jean
07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Melike, I think you have convinced me, I'll vote for Miyazaki

Heather19
07-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I know. Danny Boyle's Trainspotting is one of my favorite movies ever and his other works are also very good. Miyazaki will always have a part of my heart with his creativity and sight of beauty. Howl's Moving Castle. Spirited Away. As soon as I mention these titles I feel a deep happiness inside. And this is not even close to exaggeration.
Spike Jonze... None of his works are specifically favorites for me but I still love all of them. Being John Malkovich was the most impudent movie to me at the time I first saw it; maybe because of my young age. I loved Adaptation despite the fact that Nicolas Cage was the leading actor. Where the Wild Things Are... Another good work.
So, I don't know...

I feel the same way. I'm torn between those three. They've all created films that I love. And they all have such a unique and creative style.

Melike
07-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Melike, I think you have convinced me, I'll vote for Miyazaki

I think I am convinced too. :D
:huglove:

DoctorDodge
07-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Of all the movies listed by those directors I'vee only seen Being John Malkovich and 28 Days Later

You mean you've never seen Shaun of the Dead, Brice? That's easily one of the best horror/comedies of the past ten years!

Brice
07-30-2010, 03:06 PM
I haven't gotten around to seeing that one.

Melikey Melikey Melikey :huglove:

DoctorDodge
07-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Well, I've been a huge Edgar Wright fan since his work on Simon Pegg's and Jessica Stevenson's Spaced, and both of his movies I have loved, both for making me laugh hard and for having dynamic, stylish, and wonderful direction, so I'm not ashamed to admit he got my vote.

turtlex
07-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Boyle - on the strength of Trainspotting alone.

candy
07-31-2010, 01:32 AM
love me some danny boyle! 28 days later, possibly my favourite horror film of all time.
train spotting, the original 'grunge' film <-- so not the right term, but cant think of what i want to say. (sorry)

Melike
07-31-2010, 02:10 AM
I haven't gotten around to seeing that one.

Melikey Melikey Melikey :huglove:

We have to fix this dear.

fernandito
08-01-2010, 06:53 AM
*bump

this poll needs more lurve.

Heather19
08-01-2010, 07:01 AM
ok, I finally decided to go with Boyle, but that was a tough one.

fernandito
08-01-2010, 07:02 AM
That was the correct choice, btw ;)

Heather19
08-01-2010, 07:06 AM
:lol: :couple:

DoctorDodge
08-01-2010, 07:09 AM
*bump

this poll needs more lurve.

I agree with ya there, feev! We need more votes for Wright, especially!

Oh, who am I kidding? With both Danny Boyle and Hayao Miyazaki, even I admit that he can't win this. Miyazaki did the amazing Spirited Away, and Danny Boyle, currently one of the most flexible directors around who can handle pretty much anything, with both Trainspotting and 28 Days Later being truly great films. Hell, I even nominated Boyle! But the Spaced fan in me still screams that Wright is a fantastic director. Just a shame he still hasn't directed that many films.

I do know one thing, though: the Spaced fan in me knows that Scott Pilgrim is going to be one of the best films this year. Not the best, of course, not with Nolan releasing Inception in the same year, but it's gonna be fucking brilliant, nonetheless.

fernandito
08-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately Wright's chances of advancing are severely diminished seeing as how he only has two (soon to be three) feature length films under his name ... but who knows ! Maybe in a few years, once he has a couple more films under his belt, in another tournament type thread, he could advance much further :D

DoctorDodge
08-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Unfortunately Wright's chances of advancing are severely diminished seeing as how he only has two (soon to be three) feature length films under his name ... but who knows ! Maybe in a few years, once he has a couple more films under his belt, in another tournament type thread, he could advance much further :D

Do you know what, I honestly believe that, feev. I certainly believe he'd have a much better chance at it, at least! I think one of the best tweets I've read recently is also one of the funniest:

KineticFilms: Scott Pilgrim film had the most aspect ratio changes I've seen since Dr Strangelove. I just compared Edgar Wright to Kubrick. You're welcome

:lol: Perhaps going a bit far, but the man's got a rather unique style of bringing the awesome to the mundane, that can't be denied. For anyone who's liked his movies, check out tv series Spaced, which he directed from start to finish. Not to change your opinions on this poll, Boyle and Miyazaki are truly great directors and deserve those votes, I won't deny that, but to at least get a further glimpse of Wright at his best.

pathoftheturtle
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
ok, I finally decided to go with Boyle, but that was a tough one.Ditto and ditto. (Tough one.)
Regrets to Miyazaki, but I hadda give credit to Danny Boyle.
Still have to agree with earlier postings, however, in saying that this thread ain't got the most compelling candidates, all things considered.

DoctorDodge
08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Still have to agree with earlier postings, however, in saying that this thread ain't got the most compelling candidates, all things considered.

Maybe not, but it's got some pretty bloody good ones, and certainly all the directors I have seen movies of I've enjoyed immensely.

fernandito
08-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Danny Boyle and Hayao Miyazaki advance to the next round !

DoctorDodge
08-06-2010, 02:27 PM
The film fan in me isn't surprised in the slightest about this, feev. Of course, the Spaced fan in me is screaming:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?

Ah well. I just need to wait for him to direct a few more films, I guess, before people start taking Edgar Wright seriously as a great director. And I still believe that Scott Pilgrim is going to be both a great comedy film and a great adaptation too, even with Michael Cera in it. The fight scenes just look so amazingly incredible and ridiculous I really can't wait to see it.