PDA

View Full Version : Wave 3A: The Waste Lands vs. The Drawing of the Three

mae
06-23-2010, 08:08 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Wastelands_face.jpgvs.http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/DOTT_face.jpg

This is the third and final round of our 2010 Constant Reader Awards. Please vote for the book you would rather re-read. The winner receives 0.1 points added to its score previously acquired in the first two rounds.

If you haven't yet read either book or both of them, please vote Never read one or both titles. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Jean
06-23-2010, 09:18 AM
you're murdering me!!!

bears can't vote

(might probably be TWL... later... when I get used to the idea that I do have to choose...)

DoctorDodge
06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
you're murdering me!!!

bears won't work

I know how you feel, Jean. Both are brilliant, but the worst thing is, they're brilliant in such a different way that it's incredibly difficult to decide which is better or worse by even the tiniest amount.

Having said that, I had to decide that the one I want to re-read by the tiniest bit is Drawing. Just because it was the book that convinced me that, unlike most book series, I would actually read it all the way to the end, and the main characters at this point really don't get on well, so that's a plus. I like groups that start off hating each other! :lol:

Sam
06-23-2010, 09:35 AM
I think I'll have to pick The Waste Lands, but it weren't easy.

fernandito
06-23-2010, 09:37 AM
TDotT.

Melike
06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
The Waste Lands.

mae
06-23-2010, 09:44 AM
These are the only two DT books that our membership, through two rounds, has chosen to battle it out in the final round of Top Ten. It'll be interesting to see which of the two we feel is the best DT novel. I think it's gonna be close. Personally, my money's on DT2.

Daghain
06-23-2010, 11:46 AM
DotT. Hands down.

turtlex
06-24-2010, 09:41 AM
TDotT. It's my favorite.

candy
06-25-2010, 09:55 AM
arghhhhhh!!!! ***deep breathe**

ok, its gotta be wastelands, for Oy - and the ka-tet finally get it together. Love it

mae
06-25-2010, 10:08 AM
My god, I can't believe DT2 is trailing here...

Cuthbert Heath
06-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Defiently my two favorite in the series ive gone back and fourth with wizard being at number two but i had to pick drawing its what gets u ready for what the series is gonna be like because the gunslinger was nothing like the rest in my opinion so i feel the drawing started it all..

alinda
06-28-2010, 05:12 AM
DotT. Hands down.

This.:clap:

Jean
06-28-2010, 05:53 AM
hands down? down??? it was the hardest choice for bears... who in the end voted TWL anyway

candy
06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
hands down? down??? it was the hardest choice for bears... who in the end voted TWL anyway

me:P

mae
06-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Damn I thought it would've been closer than it's been. Coming into Round 3, DT2 was in second place, while DT3 was in sixth. And now DT3 is leading in the face-off between the two? Madness!

Jean
06-28-2010, 11:26 AM

the last sentence wasn't a question. It was the ending of the previous sentence: bears, who, in the end...

mae
06-29-2010, 04:38 AM
So so close :)

candy
06-29-2010, 11:38 AM

the last sentence wasn't a question. It was the ending of the previous sentence: bears, who, in the end...

:wtf: i see, i'm tired with toothache you must forgive me:huglove:

mae
06-30-2010, 07:26 AM
With about an hour to go the difference is just six votes!

mae
06-30-2010, 08:27 AM
The poll has closed. The winner with 59.38% of the vote was The Waste Lands. It receives 0.1 points in addition to its current FAS (Final Average Score), making it 7.854834055.

The Waste Lands is 5 for 7 (0.5, 71.43%).
The Drawing of the Three is 5 for 7 (0.5, 71.43%).

mae
06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
I gotta say I'm extremely surprised (a tad unpleasantly I might add) that DT3 beat DT2 in this Dark Tower face off. To me, DT2 is the best DT novel of all and there are too many reasons for that. The action is tight, fast-paced, superbly written, without extraneous scenes. It just flows in an unputdownable avalanche of awesome. Starting with the lobstrosities and on and on. The early scenes with Eddie are some of the most memorable writing of King's entire oeuvre. The doors, the conflicts, the dangers. In other words, it's vintage '80s King. Some of this is also present in DT3, but it's clearly a '90s novel. Not that that's bad, but y'all know what I mean. There are several stretches where you begin to want the story to move a little more briskly, something that never happens in DT2. The scene with the bridge and several others are exceptional, but overall I place DT3, fittingly, third in my personal rankings. DT2, of course, is first.

Sorry to rant :)

Jean
06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I am not surprised, voted for DT3 myself. It's exactly a case of what I tried to explain earlier - how perfection sometimes fails to impress as deeply as a sheer force of talent, whatever flaws in pace, structure, or logic it may present. I love DT2, and it is more - well - intelligible than DT3; but DT3 makes me step through those doors myself, whether or not I am capable of understanding what I see there. Jake's dreams, and then his walk across New York is, along with some other parts of the book, are the culminating points of King writing as a visionary, a mystic of highest order.

Tito_Villa
07-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Yay a great result, The Wastelands if my favourite book of the series!

pathoftheturtle
07-03-2010, 08:29 AM
DT2 has the most appeal as action entertainment. All other DT volumes are, in varying degree, more expressionistic... particularly DT3. Not just another Stephen King paperback; it wins because it's art.

ladysai
07-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I love DT2, and it is more - well - intelligible than DT3; but DT3 makes me step through those doors myself, whether or not I am capable of understanding what I see there. Jake's dreams, and then his walk across New York is, along with some other parts of the book, are the culminating points of King writing as a visionary, a mystic of highest order.
I love the way you explained this! I feel the same; this book was the key to making me a tower junkie and putting my feet on the road with the ka-tet.
It wasn't a road to Damascus kind of thing; more like skipping the spiral that starts out the yellow brick road.
Somehow, the way SK describes the struggle to draw Jake and complete the tet is a call drawing the reader into the tet as well.
This is certainly my favorite of the series for that reason; it welcomed me into the quest.
:)