PDA

View Full Version : Which ka-tet is closer to your heart?

Letti
10-04-2007, 11:35 PM
So... which ka-tet is closer to your hearts? And let me know why.

Jean
10-04-2007, 11:44 PM
second. Beyond compare. The whole book was about the second ka-tet. They are the people we've been traveling with, sharing their joys and sorrows all along, living their lives down to the smallest detail
and dying their deaths.

Darkthoughts
10-05-2007, 01:18 AM
I second everything Jean said!

MonteGss
10-05-2007, 03:30 AM
I can't believe anyone would say the first one. Maybe once we know more about them, thru the comics, we can come to love them as much as we do the second ka-tet. Who knows? I voted for the second one for all the reasons Jean said. :)

Storyslinger
10-05-2007, 05:54 AM
I also feel closer to the second for all the above reasons, but think my veiws would change with more first ka-tet backstory. I like the characters from the first better, well thats not true, just Cuthbert :D

Daghain
10-05-2007, 06:54 AM
I'll third what Jean said. #2. :D

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-09-2007, 11:19 AM
definetly the second anyon who said the first is no Dark Tower or Stephen King fan

Arthur Heath
10-09-2007, 11:35 AM
I wouldnt go so far as to say that IKTCK. I voted the first because Roland aside, Cuthbert (and later his reincarnation Eddie) is my favorite character. Yes, yes, yes, The series in mainly about the second ka-tet and yes, yes, yes those are the character we know and love. But since my favorite character (again, besides Roland) and my favorite moment (Jericho Hill) is involves the first ka-tet, hat would give me just enough inclination to vote for the first. As the great Stan Lee would say:

Nuff Said!

Wuducynn
10-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I wouldnt go so far as to say that IKTCK. I voted the first because Roland aside, Cuthbert (and later his reincarnation Eddie) is my favorite character. Yes, yes, yes, The series in mainly about the second ka-tet and yes, yes, yes those are the character we know and love. But since my favorite character (again, besides Roland) and my favorite moment (Jericho Hill) is involves the first ka-tet, hat would give me just enough inclination to vote for the first. As the great Stan Lee would say:

Nuff Said!

Well then you're not a Dark Tower or Stephen King fan. At least according to Mr. Authority-On-All-True-Opinions above there.. :lol:

Patrick
10-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I voted for the second one. Only because I need more stories about the first in order for it to be a fair choice.

Wuducynn
10-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I voted for the second one. Only because I need more stories about the first in order for it to be a fair choice.

Pussy.

BedOfRoses
10-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Though the scene in the bar where the first ka-tet saves Sheemie is dear to my heart, the second ka-tet is the group that I fell in love with. They are the characters that I couldn't wait to hear more about, the ones that I suffered with and cried over. Wtihout a doubt, the second ka-tet is the nearest and dearest to my heart.

alinda
10-14-2007, 05:27 AM
No surprize here, the so called second ka-tet is who we relate to so well.
Its like it could have been us Roland slipped into, us he drew to him on that beach, or found wandering.:shoot: and I am pretty sure weve most of us anyway fancy ourselves gunslingers in our imagination.:rose:

Matt
10-14-2007, 05:29 AM
I totally agree--I do wish it would have been me sometimes but I would have had to grab Dora on the way through.

Then Roland would have gotten even more sick of our lovemaking than he did with Eddie and Suze. :lol:

Mike Beck
10-14-2007, 12:15 PM
i love cuthbert and alain

but i have to go with the second ka-tet as well. i can relate to them more, and we've been with them for much longer than the 1st ka-tet.

She-Oy
10-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Second....because of Jake and Oy. They are who made him humble, if even for a moment.

Storyslinger
10-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah Oy........he's what finalized my vote

Matt
10-15-2007, 07:46 AM
I think the two of them (Jake and Oy) may have singlehandedly taught Roland the meaning of loyality and friendship

Storyslinger
10-15-2007, 07:46 AM
agreed

Wuducynn
10-15-2007, 03:48 PM
And incase there was any wondering about it..Oy IS a member of their ka-tet.

Letti
10-15-2007, 09:39 PM
And incase there was any wondering about it..Oy IS a member of their ka-tet.

Even Roland would agree on it.

She-Oy
10-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Is it just me, or do you think the world would be a better place with billy-bumblers?

Letti
10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Is it just me, or do you think the world would be a better place with billy-bumblers?

It's not just you but I don't think they would have a nice life among us in our world.

Jean
10-15-2007, 11:41 PM
don't forget that Oy was driven away by his kind. I don't know if we can consider him a typical billy-bumbler.

Letti
10-15-2007, 11:47 PM
don't forget that Oy was driven away by his kind. I don't know if we can consider him a typical billy-bumbler.

And when the Old People lived many billy-bumblers could speak and they were tame and they loved to live near the people.
Anyway yes Oy wasn't a typical billy-bumbler.

Storyslinger
10-16-2007, 08:20 AM
I agree that they might not fit in, but hell, I like one as a pet and friend

Wuducynn
10-16-2007, 08:24 AM
With the vast increases in genetic engineering it very much possible that customized and created species could be a thing for the near future..so we could have billy-bumblers for real.

Storyslinger
10-16-2007, 08:26 AM
ah, true true

Letti
10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
With the vast increases in genetic engineering it very much possible that customized and created species could be a thing for the near future..so we could have billy-bumblers for real.
If a speaking and dancing duck is a billy-bumbler.. yes we will. :D

Storyslinger
10-16-2007, 08:51 AM
????? :lol:

Wuducynn
10-16-2007, 08:55 AM

Actually I wasn't kidding Letti. Its a technological possibility for the very near future.

Letti
10-16-2007, 08:58 AM

Actually I wasn't kidding Letti. Its a technological possibility for the very near future.
I wasn't, either.
But we will see how far people are allowed to go and if we might play God.
I don't say these things are good or bad... no, not at all, don't misunderstand me but there might be closed doors researchers haven't met yet.

Rjeso
10-16-2007, 08:59 AM
The second one, just because we get to know them on a much more personal basis, if you will. Perhaps if we had spent more time with Cuthbert and Alain, I'd like them more, because I did feel a connection with those boys, regardless of the fact that we spent only one book's worth of time with them.

Spencer
11-30-2007, 09:03 PM
second. Beyond compare. The whole book was about the second ka-tet. They are the people we've been traveling with, sharing their joys and sorrows all along, living their lives down to the smallest detail
and dying their deaths.

I'd agree with all of that.

LadyHitchhiker
12-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Definitely second... but I'm waiting for a third! ;)

susie
12-03-2007, 11:17 PM
the second. the first just kind of naturally formed, the members were trained since childhood, etc... whereas the second, some of the members were dragged into it kicking and screaming, there was more interesting character interaction, etc.
plus they had oy...

sai blaine
12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
The First! :D

jayson
12-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I think the second because (a) Jake Chambers may be my all time fav fictional character, and (b) we spent so much more time with them. Now, perhaps when the the comic series takes us up through Jericho Hill I will feel as if I know the first tet as well. I did enjoy their interaction in W&G, especially given what they were able to accomplish at such a young age, but I feel I "know" the seconf tet much better.

Jean
12-07-2007, 03:01 AM

It makes you one of very few, David; can you elaborate a little?

Letti
12-07-2007, 03:26 AM

Yes, your answer was way too interesting and short at the same time.

TerribleT
12-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Excluding the fact that the second Ka-Tet is what the story is really about, I've always been left wanting a lot more about the first. There are so many untold stories of Rolands first Ka-Tet. Roland, Cuthbert, and Alain, have been my favorite. They seem so naturally drawn to each other, and they stick together by choice. The second Ka-Tet grows into that same kind of feeling, but it's not naturally developed. It was forced by the drawing, and these characters are not people Roland necessarily chooses. They are thrust upon him.

sai blaine
12-07-2007, 09:07 AM

Yes, your answer was way too interesting and short at the same time.
:excited: Jean remebers me!

Of course i will... There are a few reasons to me why i picked the first, one being simply i prefered the younger roland to his older self, i felt that he was far more likable with more depth to him whereas just when i started to like the older roland he did something to make me hate him again. To me the second ka-tet, while you learn more about them then the first you see there failings as a ka-tet... *thinks of the best way to put it*

Letti
12-07-2007, 09:15 AM
So... do you hate the older Roland? Or you don't like him?

Truth
05-16-2008, 02:53 AM
Excluding the fact that the second Ka-Tet is what the story is really about, I've always been left wanting a lot more about the first. There are so many untold stories of Rolands first Ka-Tet. Roland, Cuthbert, and Alain, have been my favorite. They seem so naturally drawn to each other, and they stick together by choice. The second Ka-Tet grows into that same kind of feeling, but it's not naturally developed. It was forced by the drawing, and these characters are not people Roland necessarily chooses. They are thrust upon him.

Exaclty why I had to choose the first Ka-tet compared to the second

obscurejude
05-16-2008, 10:46 AM
The second Ka Tet is closer to my heart, with the exception of Susannah.

blackrose22
05-16-2008, 11:05 AM
The second Ka-tet for me as well. They were the ones that got me hooked on the story and there's not enough information or back story about the first Ka-tet. Also the story isn't about the first Ka-tet either its about the second one and what happens to them when they decide to stay with Roland on his quest to find The Dark Tower and see it for themselves.

Girlystevedave
05-16-2008, 02:06 PM
The second Ka Tet is closer to my heart, with the exception of Susannah.

Dayum! :lol:

obscurejude
05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I know its harsh Girly, don't hate me. :couple:

I think Cozener put it best when he complained that if she was crazy or crippled it would have been much smoother, but having her both, significantly slowed and unnecessarily complicated the plot at times.

I know its a minority opinion.

Girlystevedave
05-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Oh...I'm no saying I completely disagree. I've said many times that, if it wasn't for Eddie's love of her, I may not have grown to like her as much.

LadyHitchhiker
05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
The L-Tet is my favorite...

Brainslinger
05-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I chose the second. Mainly as they are our eyes into that world. Well ok, we saw that world before they came but it's interesting to see their reaction since they essentially come from the same world and culture as us.

Ok, not technically the same world but close enough. And not strictly the same culture as me as I'm English, but I've encountered enough American culture to get it, and some things are the same.

That being said, I felt close enough to the first Ka-tet when I read about them in Wizard and Glass, but in the end the second are the ones I'd go with.

mia/susannah
05-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I have to go with the second ka-tet as well. I love alain and cuthbert as well. But Eddie, Susannah, Jake and oy are closer to my heart

hoin1585
05-24-2008, 12:57 AM
The first ka-tet : )

Letti
05-25-2008, 01:27 AM
The first ka-tet : )

Hey, we are interested in all your thoughts so let us know why, sai. :rose:

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:37 AM
the second ka-tet (minus Susannah) opened my heart .. I could relate to them and wanted to be like them and them to be involved in my life...

Ka-tet
06-01-2008, 07:14 AM
The second, for reasons already stated.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but was the first ka-tet even rolands?

Mark
06-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Yes dean, the first Ka-tet was Roland's. I'm sure it says it in W&G. I say the second Ka-tet, for reasons stated

Jean
06-06-2008, 01:52 AM
or was it really a ka-tet?

Woofer
06-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Blah, once again I cannot vote!

I like them in this order: Cuthbert, Eddie, Oy, Alain/Jake, Susannah, Susan.

Tiffany
06-06-2008, 05:30 AM
I voted for the second. I know them better and almost feel like part of them when I read the books.

Archangel(tjk)
06-13-2008, 03:31 PM
or was it really a ka-tet?

It is interesting to look at this from the metaphysical standpoint. If Ka is a wheel, one could say that there were never two Ka-tets, but rather one. As to wither it was ka-tet, if I'm not mistaken the tet was anybody drawn together by ka (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have my concordance in front of me) So I would say yes, unless Jean knows something I don't.

Jean
06-14-2008, 12:03 AM
it depends on how "drawn together by ka", and the concept of ka itself, is understood. If we use it too freely, any supermarket queue will be a ka-tet, and then, again, we'll have to find a definition for ka-tet proper.

Letti
06-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Only your heart can say if the people you are together is your ka-tet or not. There are no rules.
I might be too romantic like usual. :rolleyes:

Mark
06-14-2008, 01:56 AM
I thought Ka-tet meant a group of people drawn together by teh same goal, who all become in tune with everyone.