PDA

View Full Version : Justin Cronin Spoilers!!!

Nerak
06-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Figured I would start this thread, since there seems to be a lot of hype about it, including from Steve!

I am on page 50 and it's got me already..had me on page 18. Can't wait to see where he takes it from here.

I am hoping to have it finished by June 21 when I head to a reading/signing in Portsmouth NH!

Has anyone else read it and have comments?

Please remember to spoiler tag!!!

Bev Vincent
06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm 330 pages in and loving every minute of it. He takes it in some dramatically unexpected directions. I have deliberately avoided every review and article about the book because I don't want anything to spoil my enjoyment of this extremely well written novel.

Bev Vincent
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/xzTN9gIxTbQ

Here he is in Houston earlier this week reading from the book:

cody44
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I just started it and made it to about page 19. I'm really excited to see where he goes with it. I'm also excited to read a book that is compared to the Stand in epicness.

jhanic
06-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm making a special plea to everyone here. Please DON'T post any spoilers without marking them as such! I haven't yet received my copy.

John

Cujo56
06-11-2010, 06:34 PM
So far I'm digging it. On page 72 and will continue to read more tonight.
Does anyone here have a proof copy with the plain white wraps? I see the 1st edition & the arc with pictorial wraps both have 700 & some pages. The white proof has over 900 pages. Would type and book dimensions account for this much difference or was that much story taken out before the final product?

Nerak
06-12-2010, 01:20 PM
oooo, now I want a proof.

I am on page 76 and loving it.....so much being introduced!! Can't wait to see where it's all goin. Hubby has to work tomorrow, I got a LOT of reading time ahead of me!!!

lophophoras
06-13-2010, 04:39 AM
Great read so far!! I'm probably 250 pages in.

If you haven't bought a copy yet, you should.

:thumbsup:

Nerak
06-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Page 112....what the hell is going on in this book?!?!?!?!? LOL

Bev Vincent
06-13-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm into the 600s and still loving it.

lophophoras
06-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Page 112....what the hell is going on in this book?!?!?!?!? LOL

LOL...keep reading.

:P

I'm finding it hard to put it down. Just had to take a ibuprofen cause my neck, back, and shoulder are hurting from just sitting and reading.

cody44
06-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Has anyone read any of Cronin's other works? I also feel (I'm around page 105) that this book draws the reader in so naturally.

Bev Vincent
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM
I haven't read his previous books, but I understand they are somewhat different to this one. I finished it this afternoon.

My biggest fear is that there would be a two-year cliffhanger, and in a way there was, but the book has enough of a satisfying resolution to certain storylines to make me happy...except for the two-year wait.

woodpryan
06-13-2010, 10:11 PM
i borrowed this from the bookstore where i work yesterday and i think i'm going to have to put Ray Bradbury down to read it. I haven't heard a single bad thing about it and I don't think I can wait for Bradbury to get interesting when this thing is sitting there staring at me.

Nerak
06-14-2010, 08:53 AM
ooooo so temptin to open that spoiler! But I won't...on page 202 and it just keeps getting better and better!

Can't wait til next Monday when I can meet him!!! I hope I can finish it before then!!

ELazansky
06-14-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm getting ready to start reading it tonight - you guys are making me want to stay up all night and read it. Looking forward to getting started.

woodpryan
06-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I haven't read his previous books, but I understand they are somewhat different to this one. I finished it this afternoon.

My biggest fear is that there would be a two-year cliffhanger, and in a way there was, but the book has enough of a satisfying resolution to certain storylines to make me happy...except for the two-year wait.

If you have finished it, you should do wikipedia a favor and make an article for it. Just what information you have about the plot will be helpful. I'm sure someone else can find the other information that is relevant to put up. If there still isn't one when I finish reading it (I doubt that), I will probably start one.

CurtSeattle
06-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Only page 60 and lovin it already. :)

Lenny
06-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Just finished it.
WOW WOW WOW
That was truly amazing.

Nerak
06-17-2010, 05:17 AM
Page 331.....

I want to know where Amy is........

jhanic
06-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Spoilers, people, spoilers!!

John

ELazansky
06-17-2010, 06:20 AM
This post is spoiler free :panic:

I'm at page 150, and so far the book is good. Any story that is a planned trilogy is going to take its time to develop. We'll see how the rest of the story goes.

ICry4Oy
06-18-2010, 05:02 AM
Just turned to page 130 and lovin' it! Trying to make this one last a while....

Nerak
06-18-2010, 05:27 AM
page 367...need to get rid of the kids so I can read! LOL

lophophoras
06-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Not sure what page I am on (the book is at home), I haven't been able to do much reading this week. I'll finish it this weekend though.

Darkthoughts
06-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Hadn't heard of this book, but have ordered to take on holiday :D

Ricky
06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
You'll love it Lisa...it's definitely pants and shirts. :lol:

Is there anyone going to a signing on the tour that would be willing to get me a book signed (I don't know how many they'd allow)? I'd be willing to pay for the book, shipping, and all other expenses.

CurtSeattle
06-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Posted in diff Thread...

Nerak
06-21-2010, 03:29 AM
I am going tonight, so excited!

Ricky, if you want me to pick one up for you, send me a pm and I will get details!

Karen

lophophoras
06-21-2010, 03:35 AM
I am going tonight, so excited!

Ricky, if you want me to pick one up for you, send me a pm and I will get details!

Karen

Have fun Karen!

I have a book coming to me from that signing.

Nerak
06-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Nice! I can't wait to go.

A little sad that I haven't had time to finish the book. On page 559 right now. Read over 100 pages this weekend...but I have an apartment to pack up and didn't get in as much reading time as I wanted to :(

lophophoras
06-21-2010, 06:54 AM
I haven't had a chance to finish it either.

I may have read 100 pages over the weekend. I was just so busy with I couldn't sit down and do some major reading...

Hopefully I will finish it this week.

Nerak
06-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Page 669 OMG!! soooo good

So, got to the signing just in time!

Justin is very nice and funny when in front of a group, but I didn't find him very personable one on one. So, you take what you can get.

But I did get Happy Birthday Karen his sig and the date in my book!

It's going to be two years until the next one! UGH!!!

He says he already knows the last line of the last book...makes me think of Lost! LOL

I took a couple of pics, you will have to wait til I get home to get them as the camera is there...sorry.

mae
06-22-2010, 05:42 AM
This review doesn't make it sound that exciting:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/20100622_In__The_Passage___a_military_killing_mach ine_pursues_humankind_.html#axzz0raaebByA

Bev Vincent
06-22-2010, 05:57 AM
If you read the reviews on Amazon, you'll find a large contingent of posters who are annoyed that he spends so much time on characterization and description. If you're looking for a fast-paced thriller, this isn't it--though it does have some exciting, full-tilt boogie sections. But if you're looking for a very well crafted, throughtfully considered, expertly executed post-apocalyptic tale, this puppy is for you. I don't know if Cronin has read all of the following, but different parts of it seem influenced by: The Stand, The Road, The Omega Man/He is Legend, The Battle For the Planet of the Apes, Swan Song...

jhanic
06-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Bev, I agree. I'm only on about page 450 or so, but I'm finding lots of "ties" to most of the post-apocolyptic novels that have been done. I'm hoping things get a little more original in the following pages/books. I guess I'm going to have to wait about four more years to find out, though.

By the way, that link to the review in the Philly paper that pablo posted does have some spoilers in it, so beware!

John

Nerak
06-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Now, see, I have had NO problem connecting to the characters in the book. Pulling for them and feeling for them.

I am almost done...page 704!! :nana:

Ricky
06-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Read the part yesterday where Alicia and Co. investigate the library and the virals "hunt" them in the mall. That entire sequence combined with Theo getting thrown through the roof and Amy's re-introduction is definitely one of the best that I've read so far.

And if Brad is dead/doesn't come back, I will be seriously peeved!

Nerak
06-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Ok, I just finished it!!! :arg:

I am not happy with the way it ended. And only because of the fact that it's Blaine all over again and I have to wait to find out what happens!!

It's a great read...I only struggled to get through a little bit of it, so that's not too bad.

Hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did and let's hope he writes faster and gets it out before 2012!!!

Nerak
06-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Ok, here's some pics from the signing!

He likes to talk with his hands! LOL

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/kymatty/Cronin%20signing/justin3.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/kymatty/Cronin%20signing/justin1.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/kymatty/Cronin%20signing/justin2.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/kymatty/Cronin%20signing/justin4.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/kymatty/Cronin%20signing/justin5.jpg

Ricky
06-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Nice pics, Karen! He looks totally different in the one with you than he does in the previous ones. Maybe because he's not smiling?

Nerak
06-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I was kinda like...hello, the least he could have done was smile! LOL

gsvec
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Finished it today! Two years, eh? Grrrrr . . .

Ricky
06-24-2010, 05:09 PM
LOL Karen, I was thinking the same.

I'm on page 440 and really curious as to what direction the next section will take!

CurtSeattle
06-24-2010, 06:42 PM
He looks like he is pondering the amount of money he just made suddenly. :)

Here are my two signed books. One signed to me. One I requested be written as "To the winner of the EBay auction." He declined to write that, so flatsigned. I wasn't going to sell it even. :(

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1039/thepassagesignedbook2pi.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/thepassagesignedbook2pi.jpg/)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7241/thepassagesignedbook1pi.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/thepassagesignedbook1pi.jpg/)

ICry4Oy
06-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Just finished it.

poop, 2 years :( Wonder if Sara and all with her live or if that was the last of her journals? I can't believe I didn't connect the name Peter to Amy's "Peter" stuffed rabbit until Sister Lacey told him "so you're Amy's Peter". Reminded me a lot of The Stand when she also told him he would be the one "to stand" for Amy.

CRinVA
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Went to the signing in the DC area - enjoyed the reading and Mr Cronin's sense of humor. While signing my books I asked him how he really felt when Stephen King called into the TV show he was on to lay on the praise - he said he was totally flabbergasted, speechless. I mentioned that getting a Stephen King recommendation lauding his book had to help sales and he said "the main put food on my table, "i'll never be able to repay him for what he's done for me!"
I got The Passage signed/personalized and dated; also got an earlier novel in pb form that I found in the store signed the same way - that was The Summer Guest.

ELazansky
06-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I got a signed copy from River Run - for his inscription, he wrote "All Eyes". I'm only on page 400, but is that a reference to something later on? Don't spoil anything for me if it is...just curious.

Bev Vincent
06-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah, it's an expression that kicks in later on in the book. A warning.

Ricky
06-25-2010, 03:35 PM
I got a signed copy from River Run - for his inscription, he wrote "All Eyes". I'm only on page 400, but is that a reference to something later on? Don't spoil anything for me if it is...just curious.

You don't have to worry about spoilers for that. It basically means "watch out" or "be careful". I am on page 440 and it recently came up, so your not too far from it.

ELazansky
06-25-2010, 06:03 PM
That's cool - it's a great book so far, with a long way to go to tell the tale.

Cujo56
06-26-2010, 06:55 AM
I've got about 30 pages left and kinda bummed about that.
I received my signed copy from River Run and I've got to say, I'm impressed with their shipping.

lophophoras
06-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Finished the book last night. It was a good read. I look forward to the next one.

I got my signed copy from Riverrun and it was shipped in a padded envelope that took a hell of a beating on it's way to me. I was not impressed at all. The book didn't have any major damage other than the edges being dinged. I am the type of person who dosen't purchase dinged copies, so if I had seen this copy for sale on ebay I would not have bothered with it.

Live and learn...

Ricky
06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
If it were me, I'd call and complain. I'm the kind of person that if I pay for something that should be in good condition, I expect it to be in that condition when it arrives. Whether it's their fault of the post office's, you shouldn't have to pay for a damaged copy. Again, just my opinion.

Cujo56
06-26-2010, 08:49 AM
When I called them to order, I asked if they would ship the book in a box and that's what they did. Book was wrapped and padded in the box.

demorgan
06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
ordered a couple from Powel's books(bret easton ellis signed there..so, 2 birds one order).....not really impressed with their policies concerning pre-orders. Probably wont order from them if I can help it.

ladysai
07-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I really enjoyed this book. It was quite unique, yet it was obvious that the author has read the same post-apocolypse books I have (The Stand and Swan Song).
I think the characters and their relationships are what makes the story interesting and keeps me reading. I guess there are some people who would rather focus on the action, but I like to see how the characters deal with the situations they find themselves in.
I can't say I liked the ending.
~a great big raspberry to cliffhangers~
If I heard right, this will be the first in a trilogy...
I can't wait to find out what happens to everyone.
:)

mae
07-05-2010, 08:55 AM
I leafed through this book at my local B&N and was shocked to see the book set in Times New Roman.

Brice
07-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Many things have shocked me through the years, but never a font.

Jean
07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gif

mae
07-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Well it just looks amateurish, as if printed by a student from Word. For a major publisher, couldn't they used a more bookish font, like I dunno, Garamond?

Jean
07-05-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree, I understand! it just was so great how Brice put it, "many things...etc" http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

Brice
07-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I totally understand what you meant, Pablo. It's just when I think of fonts I don't think shocking...and vice versa. My brain would have exploded if I hadn't made that comment. Please don't take me (or anything else for that matter) too seriously. :)

mae
07-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Sure I understand. I just take it so seriously, because book design is one of my loves as a book collector. This book is designed very well, has an attractive cover, it's just the font is totally bland and that's actually a big deal, even though it may not seem like it.

Tito_Villa
07-06-2010, 05:17 AM
Just finished and like everyone else im abit anoyed about the ending ... not sure i can wait 2 years :panic: but i always thought a good book was all about the journey and not just the ending ... and really it was a great read!

ELazansky
07-06-2010, 05:51 AM
I finished it this weekend as well. As a long time fantasy reader, I was not upset by the ending at all. Book One in a trilogy will set the story and begin to develop the characters, and will have a resolution at the end, but it won't answer all of the questions. Book Two will answer more, but still leave the story open so it can finish in the final Book Three. Lord of the Rings is a good example of this. I'm sure a lot of mainstream fiction readers have never experienced a trilogy before, so they may be a little upset. The waiting for the next part is always the worst. Had to wait three years in between Star Wars films...

CurtSeattle
07-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Interesting to see if Cronin's 1st/1st books will ever be worth anything.

He will have to keep pumping them out to get the kind of collecting power you find with King.

Reasons to collect:
1. Massive book hype for The Passage
2. Movie deal by Ridley Scott already in the works
3. Good story with at least 2 more books to come (3 book trilogy = even bigger money for 4th, 5th, etc... books where Cronin dictates his "share" of the profits which will be substantial.
4. Vampires are a hot topic for the mainstream these days and this book is milking this (publisher not necessarily Cronin)

Reasons they won't be collectible like King (at least from a value standpoint):
1. Cronin won't be as prolific as King. HUGE paycheck on 1st novel rather than having to grind it out and then getting the big payoff. I mean 1 book ever 2 years? jeez! Get to work!
2. Book isn't about Vampires
3. Pseudo-vampires does not = young likeable Potteresque figure to lure in the entire young population of the world, so locks out the market segment that spends/pushes parents to spend money and keep the dream alive. Have to come up with another idea for a book other than his previous "sensy" books.

I grabbed a s/l, a flatsigned, and a personalized signed copy just to hedge my bets. hehehehe!

Darkthoughts
07-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Ahhhh, it's part of a trilogy! Well that's alright then :lol:

I just finished without knowing that and thought, hey, I don't mind a cliffhanger but there's no closure in that at all! But that's cool, I can wait :)

As Bev said, I noticed echoes of I Am Legend and the Stand. I also thought it was quite like Margaret Atwood's The Handmaiden's Tale in parts and the feel of the writing akin to Doris Lessing's sci fi work.

jhanic
07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I just hope I'm still around when the last book comes out. I'm not getting any younger here! :P

John

Bev Vincent
07-11-2010, 05:45 AM
I hear you, John!

ICry4Oy
07-12-2010, 08:51 AM

NSFW:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/MilesFarrell/font.jpg

Darkthoughts
07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
That is awesome!

LineofEld
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM

NSFW:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/MilesFarrell/font.jpg

Dang... I wish I could W like that.

Brice
07-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Practice!

Amazing, but I'm still not shocked.

Ben Mears
07-14-2010, 03:51 AM
I found the book to be very well written and entertaining. IMO there was a strong Stand/Dark Tower vibe to the story.
I've also read The Summer Guest and enjoyed it as well.

Randall Flagg
07-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Posted elsewhere, but I went to a reading/signing the 19th.
I'm taking the book slowly and am on page 587 now. Of course it's common knowledge now that the book is part 1 of a trilogy.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4075/img1679u.jpg

YouTube- Justin Cronin answering questions

disel24
07-28-2010, 12:22 PM
:angry::pullhair: I totally didn't know this was part 1 of a trilogy..had I known that I would have waited to buy it and start reading it.... I'm pretty much unpleased.

jhanic
07-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Gabriel, the parts are to be spaced about two years apart (!) so you would have had a long, long wait! I just hope I'm around when part three is published.

John

AIMB
08-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I really liked the book, I cheated and listened to it on Audiobook. But can someone please explain to me why Alicia and Greer abandoned their blood oath to go after Peter and Amy? I mean he did all that buildup and had Peter let go of Lishe (sp?), had her shave her head and lie to her friends. For what? Just to have her run away 5 chapters later? I don't get it, maybe I fell asleep or something. Other than that the book was pretty amazing. I am guessing there is no release date yet for the second one?

cp.
08-25-2010, 05:08 AM
I just finished this and I definately did like it alot. I think few hundred pages could have been trimme, but overall it does work. I must admit that I was lost at a few times and still don't fully understand all of what happened. Its worth checking out though.

frik
08-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Gabriel, the parts are to be spaced about two years apart (!) so you would have had a long, long wait! I just hope I'm around when part three is published.

John

I always wait for a trilogy (or more) to be finished before reading the thing. Longest wait: Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - close to 20 years.
And guess what happened: I got stuck in book four, lost interest and now I've got the complete series (except for the final book) on my shelves, mostly unread. :cry:

sk

Stockerlone
09-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Justin Cronin THE Passage - DER ÜBERGANG German PROMO TOUR

From 13. - 17. September german publisher Goldmann announces Justin Cronins Germany Tour. Only one termin is 100% safe:
Hamburger Harbour Front Literaturfestival 13.09 18.00 Imperial Theater

Hamburger Harbour Front Literaturfestival 08 - 18.09.10

John Irving
John Grisham
Günter Grass
Justin Cronin
Liao Yiwu
and many more

Stockerlone
09-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Justin Cronin´s Euro Tour DER ÜBERGANG - The Passage

13. September 2010, 18:00 Uhr
Harbour Front Festival, Hamburg
Imperial Theater, Reeperbahn 5

14. September 2010, 20:00 Uhr – Zürich
Buchhandlung Kaufleuten, Klubsaal, Pelikan Platz

15. September 2010, 20:00 Uhr – Rostock
Thalia Buchhandlung, Breite Straße 15-17

16. September 2010, 19:00 Uhr – Düsseldorf
NRW Forum Kultur und Wirtschaft, Ehrenhof 2

17. September 2010, 20:00 Uhr – München
Literaturhaus, Am Salvatorplatz 1

Stockerlone
09-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Book German Premiere Justin Cronin The Passage - Der Übergang

Also ich war gestern Abend bei der Deutschlandpremiere von Justin Cronins Der Übergang - The Passage.
Lokation:
Hamburg St. Pauli Reeperbahn Imperial Theater - Total Geile Lokation. Einlass 17.30
Ich war extra etwas früher da, um zu kucken wo ein Hintereingang ist, die `Promis´ möchten ja nicht so gerne durch die Menschenmassen gehen :D
Aber beim Imperial Theater gibt es keinen Hintereingang, hinter dem Theater ist nur ein Strip-Clup, ein Sex Shop usw....
Also, Mr. Cronin kommt sehr früh, kurz nach halb sechs. Sofort als er aus der Audi Limo steigt, sind 4 Profi Autogrammjäger bei ihm, und lassen sich
Fotografien signieren. Cronin meint, das er sehr überrascht ist, sofort auf Autogrammsammler zu treffen. Er geht weiter, richtung Theater und kreuzt
´zufällig´ MEINEN Weg. Ich lasse mir von ihm ein Deutsches HC Leeseexemplar signieren, und er sagt mir dabei, das es das ERSTE deutsche Buch ist das er
signiert hat.
Er geht rein, die knapp 50 Zuschauer auch. (Bei Grisham waren über 800 da).
Im kleinen Thater sitze ich knapp 5 meter von der Bühne entfernt, auf der Bühne sitzen Cronin, die Moderatorin/Übersetzerin M. von Schwarzkopf und
der deutsche Schauspieler Hejo von Stetten, der Teile des Buches auf deutsch liest.
Die Lesung dauert 1,5 std. Cronin erzählt, von der hilfe seiner Tochter beim schreiben des Buches.
Wärend Cronin erzählt, wird er auf der Bühne von einer Mücke angegriffen, und meint das sie wohl auch das ´Virus´ hat ;-)
Er erwähnt auch die Titel der beiden nächsten Bände der Trilogie. Band 2, er ist gerade beim schreiben, auf Seite 200 das Buch wird: THE 12 heissen, und
2012 rauskommen.
Der Dritte Band wird wohl 2014 rauskommen und ....sorry genauen Titel vergessen,.. etwas mit.. Star heissen.
Als eigendlich das Event zuende ist, kommt einer der Organisatoren auf die Bühne und sagt, das jetzt eigendlich das Signieren kommt, und dann ´meet + greet´ event
an Bord von einem Schiff, da es heute aber die Deutschlandpremiere des Buches ist, ist das Publikum zur Premierenfeier eingeladen, ein Caterinservice hat draussen
schon für Sekt + Essen gesorgt......
Alles geht raus, um sich Bücher zum signieren zu kaufen, ich habe zum Glück schon welche ;-)
Mr Cronin geht zum Signieren in das Kassenhäuschen des Theaters, und ich bin wieder der ERSTE der Bücher signieren lässt.
Er begrüsst mich wären er Bücher und ein Poster signiert mit.. Nice to see you again.... Ich gratuliere ihm zur Buchpremiere.... Er meint noch das er das Deutsche
Hartcover Buch gut findet, ist besser gebunden als das US. Mein Poster ist der einzige NICHT BUCH Artikel den er Signiert.
Mr Cronin Sig dann den anderen Leuten ihre Bücher wärend ich etwas Sekt trinke und ein paar kleine Snacks esse, er unterhällt sich mit allen leuten ist sehr,
freundlich..... Nach einer halben std. sind alle Autogramme gegeben, Cronin kommt aus seinem Kassenhäuschen, und kommt dann auch nach draussen, um etwas zu
essen und zu trinken. Am ende sind nur noch 4-5 Fans da, wir reden mit Cronin, und den anderen, Verlag usw. Mr Cronin meint noch das ihm aufgefallen ist, das
das englische Buch das der Verlag auch zum Signieren da hatte, nicht das NORMALE US Buch, sondern das EXPORT/Flughafen Buch ist.
Am Ende, nach knapp 3 Stunden, hat dann Justin Cronin seine Bierflasche weggestellt, sich von dem ´Rest´ verabschiedet und ist mit, 2-3 Leuten vom Verlag
Management aufgebrochen, zu einem ´kleinen´ St.Pauli Reeperbahn Bummel. Alle Zuschauer, mit denen ich gesprochen habe, waren SEHR begeistert von der
zum Glück sehr kleinen Buchpremiere, aber wie die Moderatorin M. von Schwarzkopf schon sagte, Bei der nächsten Buchvorstellung von Justin Cronin 2012,
wird wohl dieses kleine Thather NICHT mehr ausreichen.........

Translation:
Yesterday 13.09.10 was the Justin Cronin German Book premiere of his Der Übergang - The Passage

Lokation: Hamburg St.Pauli Reeperbahn Imperial Theather (Think everyone knows that St.Pauli and especially the Reeperbahn is the ´best known Red-light´ district in the world.)
The event starts at six a clock, i arrive earlier, because i want to look where is the backentrance door, because i think Mr. Cronin enters the Theater there. I was surprised, the small Theater have no backentrance door. On the backside of the Theater was a Porno-Cinema and a Strip Club.
Ok, half past 6 the big Limo. arrives, Mr. Cronin comes, and 4 profi signatur hunter are coming to him, and he signs some PICTURES. Then Mr. Conins way to the Theater brings him... what a surprise direkt to me ;-)
I give him my Der Übergang-The Passage German Hartcover Slipcased ARC Leseexemplar,
he signed it, and say that he was surprised, that there were people who want signatures
and MY BOOK was the FIRST that he signed in GERMANY .... :-)
The waiting 50 persons, are going down, because this Theater room was in the basement.
Realy small theatre hall, i sit 5 m away from the stage.
On the stage.: Mr Cronin Mrs. Schwarzkopf moderator/translator, Mr. von Stetten german actor, reads several parts in German.
Then the presentation of the book starts, takes arround 1,5 hours. Cronin talks a lot about
the help from his daughter, and reads a part. He says that he knows the titles from
part 2: and part3 of the trilogie. Part 2. THE 12.. published 2012
and part 3.... sorry.. forget the full name.... something with STARS published 2014.
When Mr. Cronin talks, he get attackt by a moskito, he says he thinks the moskito is so agressive, because he have the VIRUS...
Then everybody after 1,5 hrs. thinks this event is finished, and the signing starts, someone from the german publishing company comes, and says.... Because this is the
German Premiere of DER ÜBERGANG, they decided to make the premierenparty right here and the audience is invited, outside a catering company who serves drinks and food.
All of the audience are going out, to by outside a Book for the signing...
But i have my books for signing. I was the first in the line. The signing place was the Theater pay kiosk, and when i come, Mr C. says... Nice to see you again, he signs some books an a poster ( the only not book thing he signs) I say something like, i realy enjoy
this event, and when he signs he means, that the German hartcover book looks better and
was better bonded then the US and UK...
OK, i have my signs... Now i drink and eat something, and Mr. C. signs the books for the other 50 persons.... He talks to everyone, very nice, the distance between him and the
´us´ was ZERO... Everybody was very surprised about this evening.

One pic from the event, my stupid camera makes SOME problems.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT1974.JPG

Then he finished his sig. work, comes out, most of the audience was gone, he drinks and eats a little bit, and still talks with the ´rest of us´.
He says
that the US books the publisher give him to sign, are not the ´normal´ us hartcoverbooks,
he means this are RE-Export airport books...
Then, afer 3 hours, Mr. Cronin puts away a bottle of bear, says goodbye to the ´rest of us 2-3 people´ and together with 2-3 persons from the publisher, management he starts a ´small´ Reeperbahn Redlight-district tour. He goes into the night, on the other side of the street... Some hookers, and druck addicts. Party people...... The normal St.Pauli early night. Next day Mr. Cronin must fly/drive to Zurich...

A realy nice evening with MR Cronin. Mrs. Schwarzkopf the hostess/translator says.:
Think the next time, mr. Cronin come, this little tiny theater is to small...

Stockerlone
09-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Justin Cronin Der Übergang The Passage When Mr. Cronin arrives, he signed ME this German Der Übergang The Passage LESEEXEMPLAR ARC. He say´s to me that THIS is the FIRST book he signed in GERMANY, and of cause it´s the FIRST signed GERMAN BOOK

Der Übergang Leseexemplar/ARC slipcased
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT1998.JPG

His first signatur in Germany
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT1999.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2002.JPG

Der Übergang signed Books, ticket and the one and only signed POSTER!
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT1975.JPG

Some signed books:dance:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT1993.JPG

He called this book... UK re import Airport book when he signed.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2008.JPG

Stockerlone
09-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Justin Cronin signed on his German promo ´Der Übergang´ tour also some UK HC´s.
He say´s that this HC´s are differend to the the ´normal´ hc´s, this books are Airport-re-import books. :idea:

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=151830500&imageType=image

ICry4Oy
09-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Loved loved loved The Passage and anxiously await the next book!

Is there no thread for "The Strain" by Del Toro & Hogan? I'm halfway thru it and am loving it every bit as much as The Passage!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-15-2010, 02:37 AM
I, like Darkers, finished with no knowledge of its being a part of a planned trilogy, and was initially a little dissappointed in the ending, now its ok. In fact, about 20-30 pages from the end I was like, "ok, dont see any resolution on the horizon, better start wrapping it up."

flaggwalkstheline
11-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Finally got to read it, truly enjoyable
though I was a little confused
was it supposed to be a vampirized wolgast who saved theo and mausimi?

Ricky
11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
was it supposed to be a vampirized wolgast who saved theo and mausimi?

I was wondering something along those lines. Was Wolgast a vampire at the end, or did Amy just sense his spirit's presence?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
That is what I thought.

Jimimck
12-16-2010, 12:50 AM
I enjoyed the book, and like some didn't realise it was a trilogy until I was most of the way through. I'm OK with that though, as sometimes I get a little sad when a book I am so invested in is about to end, so this way I know there is something to look forward to.
I am a little disappointed in myself for not picking up a CD limited copy of it though....

HellBeast
02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I adored this book, I was raving to my friends and girlfriend about it constantly. I really cannot wait to read the next one! Until then I have 18 months of my degree to finish which should keep me busy as per reading material. Incidentally I plan on doing my 15'000 word dissertation on the Dark Tower and Lord of the Rings, which will be awesome :P But back on topic, OMG THE PASSAGE WAS FANTASTIC! I'd just been saying to my friend that there was a huge craving in the market for a vampire book about REAL vampires and not the abominations spreading through popular culture, and then I finally got to buy and begin reading The Passage as my semester finished, and BOOM its outstanding.

Soooo yeah, I'm a fan... :P

Erin
02-07-2011, 07:45 AM
I finished reading this last night! I loved it! Especially the last 1/3 of the book, that was great stuff. I really enjoyed the characterization and overall detail. I feel like the ending did a nice job of wrapping up and explaining a lot of things, but still left us with two good cliffhangers:

What happened to the people of the Colony and what happened to Sara and Co. I'm *really* hoping Sara is still alive, she's one of my favorite characters.

Ricky
02-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Erin. Now that you've read The Passage, how would you rank it against Swan Song?

Erin
02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I definitely think The Passage was a better book. I really liked Swan Song, but I feel like it was comparable to a big-budget blockbuster action movie. A lot of shock value type stuff, less developed characters, but still fun. The Passage was like an indie flick to me. Really well developed, lots of good characterization, action but not overkill with it, etc...

Did that make any sense? :lol:

Ricky
02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I understand what you mean. :lol:

I prefer The Passage as well, pretty much for the reasons you stated above. I thought it was miles above Swan Song in terms of character developement. When you have an apocalyptic-type novel, it seems like some writers have a hard time at balancing characterization with action, but I felt that Cronin did it perfectly. On the other hand, it seemed like it took too long to really "feel" the characters in Swan Song. Did you find the same?

Hammer
02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
ON PAGE 233 AND LOVIN IT

Hammer
03-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Finished last night at midnight liked it alot can't wait for the second to come out

Merlin1958
03-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Justin Cronin, The Passage. One man's opinion

I finished this book a few days ago and overall I liked it very much. While there are definitely other influences evident (as with most Post-Apocalytic stories) I thought overall, the antagonist was sufficiently "original". I actually enjoyed the references to Past Vampire mythology and the way he treated/incorporated it. My one and only criticism was the change in style between what I refer to as Book 1 and Book 2. If you've finished it I think you will know what I mean. The transition started well, especially with the "History" mechanism, but I thought he dragged on for much to long describing what later became a lot of inconsequential culture and characters. Other than that "W&G" part, I was never a BIG fan of the long drawn out tale of Roland's past, I thought it was overall a real page-turner for the most part.

I also kind of applaud the way he is seguing to the next book (s). IMHO he wrapped up the first installment rather nicely and left only a small tease for the continuing story. If I never read the next 2 books, which I most certainly will, I could live in peace.

8 out of a possible 10.

Great Job, Mr. Cronin!!!!!

flaggwalkstheline
03-09-2011, 09:21 PM
i understand what you mean about the change between book one and two, it was the rare example of a large novel divided into "books" where it really felt like two seperate books

not sure why it wasn't just split into those two books as then it would have been less jarring but still, it's a minor quibble

Merlin1958
03-09-2011, 09:41 PM
i understand what you mean about the change between book one and two, it was the rare example of a large novel divided into "books" where it really felt like two seperate books

not sure why it wasn't just split into those two books as then it would have been less jarring but still, it's a minor quibble

I agree. It just all of a sudden "slowed up" but in the long run that was cool, I guess.......

Jimimck
03-10-2011, 12:17 AM
I do have to say I would like to have read more about the time between the teo books as it were. To jump there was quite sudden, and I was building myself up for more of where the story was before the jump...

Odetta
06-09-2011, 06:29 AM
I have stayed out of this thread until I finished the book... which I just did last night! I LOVED IT!

(and I actually loved the ending, I know most people here hated it)

a question... and I don't think it needs spoiler tags... what happened to ZERO? Did I miss what happened there?

and I think Sara and crew are gone... I loved how you just look down at the end of the transcript and see the word "MASSACRE"... Very chilling!

Bev Vincent
06-09-2011, 06:42 AM
The following books are going to overlay the timeline to a certain extent.

iowabob
06-09-2011, 07:44 AM
what happened to ZERO? Did I miss what happened there?

and I think Sara and crew are gone... I loved how you just look down at the end of the transcript and see the word "MASSACRE"... Very chilling!
Last night at the signing in Huntington Beach, Mr. Cronin said that Zero would be a key character in "The Twelve." Hopefully we'll learn more when the book is published.

Odetta
06-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Oh! OK... because he kind of disappeared after the you-know-what happened in the you-know-what :)

I kind of think Carter will be a strong influence in the next books as well because he is different from the others.

Stockerlone
06-29-2011, 04:27 AM
Forget to post some pics here...

From the signed limited PC Remarqued The Passage series:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2993.JPG

Signed and remarqued from Jill Bauman
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2994.JPG

Odetta
06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
When is the next one coming out???

Merlin1958
06-05-2012, 11:56 PM
When is the next one coming out???

CD is/was taking orders. Later this year.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=cronin02&Store_Code=CDP&search=The+Twelve%2C+Justin+Cronin&searchoffset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

Bev Vincent
06-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Cronin was at BEA signing copies of the ARC yesterday.

sgc1999
06-06-2012, 03:35 AM
thought this was cool.
the supergang:)
http://www.amazon.com/Der-%C3%9Cbergang-Justin-Cronin/dp/3442469376/ref=la_B001H6J17E_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1338982217&sr=1-6#_

Stockerlone
06-06-2012, 04:41 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT1975.JPG

sgc1999
06-06-2012, 12:51 PM
anyone wann sell me an arc proof of the passage or the twelve???
pretty please:)

mikeC
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I really liked the book, I cheated and listened to it on Audiobook.
Listening to the audiobook isn't cheating.

I am intrigued by this book, but I have one question. Is it depressing like The Road which it has been compared to?
It sounds like a mix between I am Legend and Swan Song.

sgc1999
06-06-2012, 02:00 PM

I am intrigued by this book, but I have one question. Is it depressing like The Road which it has been compared to?

I think it is better than all three. It didnt leave any hollow feel at the end like some books do. Fantastic novel!

Dan
06-06-2012, 02:10 PM

I think it is better than all three. It didnt leave any hollow feel at the end like some books do. Fantastic novel!

I have only read I Am Legend of those three, but agree that The Passage is a great book. Not depressing. I am very much looking forward to The Twelve and already have the CD S/L on order along with a UK S/L on order.

WeDealInLead
06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Audio books aren't cheating. It actually takes longer to listen to a book than to read it.

I really liked The Passage. I was a little surprised by the suddedn drop in action when it switches to future but it picks up pretty fast again. I'm excited about The Twelve.

I didn't think it was better than Swan Song. It's a great book but not quite as great as SS IMO.

sgc1999
06-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Wasnt impressed by Swan song. Gotta be honest. I was expecting a lot more.

Brice
06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Audio books aren't cheating. It actually takes longer to listen to a book than to read it.

Nah, fast forward button. :lol:

Listening to audiobooks isn't cheating, BUT it also isn't reading. I'm gonna' have to insist that y'all keep your audiobooks out of your reading lists. :P

sgc1999
06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Also when im reading i will sometimes hear the voice so to speak, like a southern or english accent, or whatnot. If its being read to me i dont develope the characters my own way. Its more like watching TV.
Just my opinion.

WeDealInLead
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I like both. Sometimes I prefer audio books (Hyperion, SUPERB audio with multiple actors), sometimes I hate it (Lisey`s Story)

Brice
06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I agree! I do like a good audiobook and love love love when King reads his own stuff, but otherwise it's like someone else's adaption as opposed to the adaption my own mind would make.

CurtSeattle
06-06-2012, 06:27 PM
SOME audiobook orators really do an amazing job with changing their voice and some of the BBC stuff (Lord of the Rings and I think they did Salem's Lot) is multiple actored with sound effects and whatnot which is cool but I think they are "abridged" with the multiple actors.

I still think reading the book is better, but for long commutes to work or for work, the audiobook really shines....instead of or supplemental to the book so you don't have to stop the story when heading to work. I've found myself sitting in my car waiting for the "good part" to end before going in. hahahaha!

ELazansky
06-07-2012, 02:01 AM

I have only read I Am Legend of those three, but agree that The Passage is a great book. Not depressing. I am very much looking forward to The Twelve and already have the CD S/L on order along with a UK S/L on order.

What UK S/L?

Tito_Villa
06-07-2012, 02:04 AM
http://www.goldsborobooks.com/books/the-twelve-passage-2-3231.html

ELazansky
06-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks!

Lurker
06-07-2012, 07:44 AM
I ordered a 12 last week, and they still had the limited Passage for sale for 250.00. I noticed today after getting their e-mail about the Passage it's now going for 350.00.
I wonder how long til they hike up the 12?

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I just want to say I finished the book yesterday (I know, I know - I'm way behind on my reading) and I loved it. I would even compare it to my favorite King novel, THE STAND. It had a hell of an ending.

I must avoid reading the posts here (though I have read some, what a hypocrite I am!) because I want to know NOTHING AT ALL about THE TWELVE until I open it to page 1. I hate spoilers and teasers and even the barest hint of what's going to happen in a book or movie before I see it. Of course, that's hard to do, but once in a while I manage it.

How come every time a dog is introduced in a story like this, you KNOW it's going to die! Poor Conroy!

Jimimck
07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Welcome to the club Steve. It is a great story isn't it.
I can't wait for The Twelve to come out either, and so far have managed to stay away from any spoilers/teasers....

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Since I have 5 days off for the 4th of July holiday (but only get paid for one, grrr), I have time for another photo op. I still have 3 states of THE PASSAGE coming, so I think I'll only be missing the true 1st with the error pages (love to get my hands on one of those), the UK proof/ARC and the UK export edition. And this has nothing to do with THE PASSAGE, but I saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel over the weekend, two movies I thought would be pretty much garbage, and so of course found myself highly enjoying both of them, more-so then the two blockbusters (Abe Lincoln Vampire Exterminator and Brave, both in 3D!) that I saw last weekend.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/pass.jpg?t=1341229314

Cook
07-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Since I have 5 days off for the 4th of July holiday (but only get paid for one, grrr), I have time for another photo op. I still have 3 states of THE PASSAGE coming, so I think I'll only be missing the true 1st with the error pages (love to get my hands on one of those), the UK proof/ARC and the UK export edition. And this has nothing to do with THE PASSAGE, but I saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel over the weekend, two movies I thought would be pretty much garbage, and so of course found myself highly enjoying both of them, more-so then the two blockbusters (Abe Lincoln Vampire Exterminator and Brave, both in 3D!) that I saw last weekend.

My apologies, I'm sure it's here somewhere but can you remind me what the errors are. thanks

Stockerlone
07-02-2012, 05:00 AM

Great Passage collection.
Yes the UK import/airport edition is not so easy to become. Mr Cronin was surprised that the english language books he signed on his German tour are ´this airport books´:idea:

ELazansky
07-02-2012, 06:36 AM

My apologies, I'm sure it's here somewhere but can you remind me what the errors are. thanks

1. the bottom of page 268 third line from the bottom starting with "wheels of the semi-trailers" starts again on top of page 269.

2. Page 270 should start with "Why did they do it? Peter wondered-as he had wondered through all the nights he'd stood. Why did they come home, the ones who'd been taken" These were left out of the book.

3. The last two lines of 270 starting with "he sat on his mat" starts again at the top of 271.

4. The last sentence " None of the other Colonies" on page 271 is never finished on page 272. Its missing " had been heard fromin years; the last Taos Colony had fallen almost eighty years ago. Their final transmission, back before the separation of". Then it picks up correctly.

5. The last two lines of page 272 starting with " spoke to Diamond" starts again on page 273.

6. The last three words on 273 "Their father had" is never completed on page 274. Page 274 starts with" hold and even". It's missing "claimed he'd seen a Walker there, a solitary figure darting in the moonlit shadows, just before the virals attacked. But by that time, with the House". This sentence should have started page 274.

Ricky
07-02-2012, 07:22 AM
so far have managed to stay away from any spoilers/teasers....

It's hard, isn't it? I wanted to read the teaser excerpt so bad but am holding off until I get the actual book. :panic:

I still have 3 states of THE PASSAGE coming, so I think I'll only be missing the true 1st with the error pages (love to get my hands on one of those), the UK proof/ARC and the UK export edition. And this has nothing to do with THE PASSAGE, but I saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel over the weekend, two movies I thought would be pretty much garbage, and so of course found myself highly enjoying both of them, more-so then the two blockbusters (Abe Lincoln Vampire Exterminator and Brave, both in 3D!) that I saw last weekend.

So many Passages!

I got the true 1st (with errors) the week it came out and was reading it thinking, what the heck? This makes no sense. :lol:

sgc1999
07-02-2012, 08:06 AM
I just sold a signed copy with errors for $50. doe! how much are they worth?

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I don't know but I'd have given you $55 for it, no problem!

Five minutes later - Just checked Abebooks and bought one, listed as brand new AND signed, for $98. The prices for these range from that to $350, depending on the seller. So we'll see what I get!

Cook
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't know but I'd have given you $55 for it, no problem!

Five minutes later - Just checked Abebooks and bought one, listed as brand new AND signed, for $98. The prices for these range from that to $350, depending on the seller. So we'll see what I get!

I might have an extra, I'll check when I get home.

Lurker
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Which HB UK's do you have?

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Which HB UK's do you have?

Not sure if this question was addressed to me but I'll answer it anyway!
trade
exclusive signed copy
signed, numbered, slipcased coming soon!

Dan
07-13-2012, 01:11 PM
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/901396c0.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-13-2012, 02:42 PM
NICE! I want one.

Merlin1958
07-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Posted elsewhere, but I went to a reading/signing the 19th.
I'm taking the book slowly and am on page 587 now. Of course it's common knowledge now that the book is part 1 of a trilogy.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4075/img1679u.jpg

YouTube- Justin Cronin answering questions

This was a really great book, and I enjoyed it immensely!!! As a "Gift" I managed to get a "signed copy" from a very good friend and I am very much looking forward to the next installment which, I have already ordered from CD!!!!

The Twelve!!!!

Dan
07-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Another Advanced Reader's Edition. This one signed by Cronin.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/158fbe20.jpg

Ricky
07-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Has anyone gotten their hands on any ARCs of The Twelve?

Dan
07-14-2012, 03:09 PM

I've looked, but not at $80 - $100. One sold for under $60 recently, but still seemed high to me.

Merlin1958
07-14-2012, 03:29 PM

I've looked, but not at $80 - $100. One sold for under $60 recently, but still seemed high to me.

Oh!!! Point me in that direction, please!!! LOL

Dan
07-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Oh!!! Point me in that direction, please!!! LOL

eBay, of course. There was a buy it now for $80, but it sold. I can be patient. I will read it when it comes out and pick up the ARC cheaper.

Dan
07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Added the error signed version from RF today along with a signed flyer.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/1737e361.jpg

Lurker
07-20-2012, 01:19 PM
I have the UK ARC and limited signed first so I guess I need the regular 1st and the export?
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/PassageUKs.jpg

and I have the US's, signed w/errors, signed w/o errors and one to read. Need to pick up those ARCs.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/PassageUSs.jpg

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I received another US ARC today, in much better shape then my previous one. There's still a discrepancy between what a bookseller thinks is "near Fine" and what I think is "near Fine" though.

And nice pictures Mr. Lurker (in the shadows no doubt).

Dan
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I have the UK ARC and limited signed first so I guess I need the regular 1st and the export?
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/PassageUKs.jpg

and I have the US's, signed w/errors, signed w/o errors and one to read. Need to pick up those ARCs.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/PassageUSs.jpg

Do you have the signed limited, or the numbered signed limited? I need that UK arc!

Jimimck
07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Hey guys. What is The Passage version of this?

Been considering picking one of these up buy would like to see The Passage version first.
Thanks

Ricky
07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
There's still a discrepancy between what a bookseller thinks is "near Fine" and what I think is "near Fine" though.

Story of my (book hunting) life.

Brice
07-20-2012, 07:24 PM
My (possibly mildly offensive) interpretations of fine and near fine-

near fine=jesus couldn't find a flaw
fine=jesus personally made it and then destroyed the world so nothing could touch it

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-21-2012, 01:27 AM
That Goldsboro edition of THE TWELVE was announced some time ago. I had my contact in the UK order one. I doubt it will be hard to get.

Dan
08-11-2012, 08:25 AM
There is a copy of The Passage ARC white cover on eBay right now for $40 BIN, if anyone was still needing this.

Merlin1958
08-11-2012, 02:07 PM
There is a copy of The Passage ARC white cover on eBay right now for $40 BIN, if anyone was still needing this.

Always... Post... A.... LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol1:

Dan
08-11-2012, 02:45 PM

Sorry, I can't on my iPad. I use eBay app and it doesn't have a way (that I can figure out) to get the direct link.

Merlin1958
08-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Sorry, I can't on my iPad. I use eBay app and it doesn't have a way (that I can figure out) to get the direct link.

Tease!!!!

LOL LOL LOL

Dan
08-11-2012, 02:47 PM
The best I can do is include the eBay item number 230837025801

Dan
08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
If anyone is looking for The Passage CD S/L version http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Passage-by-Justin-Cronin-Cemetery-Dance-S-L-604-948-/180951260899?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item2a21891ee3

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Here is the 1st UK paperback with the page edges painted red to spell THE PASSAGE.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/passagered.jpg?t=1344896800

Dan
08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
That's cool! Where did you get it?

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
From a book dealer in the UK. He has no idea why or how they were done, he just came across it and asked me if I wanted it. I said something like, "Duh!"

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I also finally got my copy of the 200 signed and slipcased UK editions. I think it's number 173.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/passageltf.jpg?t=1344898131

Dan
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Is that the Orion book? I thought it was 250 copies.

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-14-2012, 01:12 AM
My mistake, it is 250 copies.

Jimimck
08-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Question time. How come this edition of The Twelve is selling for £30.00, but The Passage version sold for £350? Or am I missing something here?

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/books/justin-cronin-the-passage---a-goldsboro-exclusive-slipcase-limited-edition-59.html

Nerak
08-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Has anyone else read The Twelve yet? I know it doesn't come out til October, but there seems to be plenty of AREs around.

I finished it and it's just as good as the Passage and now have to wait two years for the conclusion! GGGGAARRRRGGGGHHHH

Brice
08-14-2012, 06:27 AM
The way you feel about the third book is how I feel about the second. Waiting is killing me. :pullhair:

Dan
10-14-2012, 04:41 PM
I just finished The Twelve. I loved It. Every bit as good as the first. Not a spoiler, but if you get lost with the names (like I do), there is a list of names with short description at the very end. I didn't notice until I finished. It would have helped to review this as reading.

Joe315
10-14-2012, 05:49 PM
I'll hazard a guess if you haven't got your answer yet. The £30 is the cover price and the £350 is what Goldsboro books feels The Passage is worth now. I think it sold for £30 originally.

Question time. How come this edition of The Twelve is selling for £30.00, but The Passage version sold for £350? Or am I missing something here?

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/books/justin-cronin-the-passage---a-goldsboro-exclusive-slipcase-limited-edition-59.html

neosatus
10-14-2012, 07:26 PM
I'll hazard a guess if you haven't got your answer yet. The £30 is the cover price and the £350 is what Goldsboro books feels The Passage is worth now. I think it sold for £30 originally.

Very true, and it's a good assumption that The Twelve will jump in value too as it's been sold out for awhile now. It's too bad it doesn't include a slipcase though :/

Joe315
10-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm disappointed about the slipcase too but I am still looking forward to getting my copy.

Joe315
10-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Saw this on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Passage-by-Justin-Cronin-Rare-Book-Expo-Promotional-Paperback-Edition-/150925170290?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item2323d75672) Not sure if this is an ARC or was released after the hardcover edition but I haven't seen one before.

Merlin1958
10-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm disappointed about the slipcase too but I am still looking forward to getting my copy.

Have a custom wooden case made by "Dolso" dude!!! He does absolutely AWESOME stuff with a case!!! Ask anyone!!!

https://www.bookslipcase.com/Home.html

neosatus
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Have a custom wooden case made by "Dolso" dude!!! He does absolutely AWESOME stuff with a case!!! Ask anyone!!!

I'd be down for a case specifically made for that edition for sure. Not sure about wood, but maybe if it was done right. I'd be concerned about the cost though. CD charges $30 for most of their slipcases and $50 for most of their traycases and I'd buy either of those options in a heartbeat.

Although maybe they will come with a slipcase, and they just forgot to include that info on the website :D

Merlin1958
10-14-2012, 09:23 PM

I'd be down for a case specifically made for that edition for sure. Not sure about wood, but maybe if it was done right. I'd be concerned about the cost though. CD charges $30 for most of their slipcases and $50 for most of their traycases and I'd buy either of those options in a heartbeat.

Although maybe they will come with a slipcase, and they just forgot to include that info on the website :D

True, a Dolso case will run you a $100 or so, but you cannot beat the quality and craftsmanship IMHO!!!!!! In the long run, you will not regret the extra bucks!!! Trust me!!! Look at this!!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/6687/004kbd.jpg

For example!!! And I suck at taking pics!!!

Joe315
10-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I'd go for a dolso as well but I'd rather have the case match the one they (Goldsboro) did for the passage or I could order two dolso cases...

I emailed Goldsboro a while back and they said no slipcase but it could change.

sgc1999
10-15-2012, 05:15 AM

True, a Dolso case will run you a $100 or so, but you cannot beat the quality and craftsmanship IMHO!!!!!! In the long run, you will not regret the extra bucks!!! Trust me!!! Look at this!!!

a truer statement there has never been!!!
We need to clone Dolso :)
There just isnt this kind of craftsman ship nowadays. :(

sgc1999
10-15-2012, 05:16 AM

a truer statement there has never been!!!
We need to clone Dolso :)
There just isnt this kind of craftsman ship nowadays.

Merlin1958
10-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I know I extoll Dolso's work often, but what is really cool about him is that not only is he a master craftsman, but he has a "collectors" imagination & sense!!! Now that is a rare combination!!!

Lauterer
10-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Does anybody knows when goldsboro wants to ship the goldedition of twelve...? I just cant find my order to look if there is additional information about this??? THX

ELazansky
10-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Does anybody knows when goldsboro wants to ship the goldedition of twelve...? I just cant find my order to look if there is additional information about this??? THX

The publication date is 10/25, so I'm sure it will be around that time

Joe315
10-15-2012, 02:33 PM

The generally ship things the day of release although I have received a couple things early because they were signed ahead of release. Early for me would be release date or close to it as it takes two weeks or so for a book to reach me in Arizona from London.

EDIT: I looked at my order and it doesn't say anything about shipping.

Joe315
10-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I do wish the kept the limitation at 250 instead of raising it to 500. Here is quote from the newsletter from May:
The Twelve by Justin Cronin Exclusive 250 Numbered Edition with bronzed page edges.

Lauterer
10-15-2012, 11:40 PM

The generally ship things the day of release although I have received a couple things early because they were signed ahead of release. Early for me would be release date or close to it as it takes two weeks or so for a book to reach me in Arizona from London.

EDIT: I looked at my order and it doesn't say anything about shipping.

The publication date is 10/25, so I'm sure it will be around that time

Thanks... :rose:

Ricky
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Just finished The Twelve and really enjoyed it. Not as much as The Passage (which is hard to beat!) but definitely a great, exciting read. I really like how Amy and Wolgast's relationship was still relevant and had some closure. And Amy's a viral now?! I don't know what to think about that. An unexpected turn for sure, so I'm wondering how that's going to affect things. But I'm a little confused; how is she a viral now? That's one thing that I didn't really understand. The only thing I can come up with is maybe it was just a matter of time before it happened (a result of her experimentation in the Chalet?)

And can one of the mods. possibly change the thread title from "Justin Cronin The Passage", to "Justin Cronin - The Passage Trilogy"? Just thought it would be better so the thread can encompass discussion for all three books.

Merlin1958
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Just finished The Twelve and really enjoyed it. Not as much as The Passage (which is hard to beat!) but definitely a great, exciting read. I really like how Amy and Wolgast's relationship was still relevant and had some closure. And Amy's a viral now?! I don't know what to think about that. An unexpected turn for sure, so I'm wondering how that's going to affect things. But I'm a little confused; how is she a viral now? That's one thing that I didn't really understand. The only thing I can come up with is maybe it was just a matter of time before it happened (a result of her experimentation in the Chalet?)

And can one of the mods. possibly change the thread title from "Justin Cronin The Passage", to "Justin Cronin - The Passage Trilogy"? Just thought it would be better so the thread can encompass discussion for all three books.

Very good point!!!

Dan
01-06-2013, 06:12 PM

I thought it was a delayed, albeit a long delay, reaction to the initial virus received. It has been a while since reading The Passage, but that was my impression.

Ricky
01-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Okay, thanks. That's the only explanation I could come up with as well. That would make sense, too, since Alicia had a 5-year delayed reaction to her viral bite.

Merlin1958
01-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Finally finished "The Twelve". I really enjoyed it. Are we discussing the book here as well? Or is there another thread I missed for that subject?

Dan
01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
This seems to be the thread for The Passage series.

Merlin1958
01-15-2013, 06:41 PM
This seems to be the thread for The Passage series.

I know, but we don't have one for "The Twelve" do we???

Jimimck
01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
If you start discussing the twelve, please use spoiler tags, cos I haven't read it yet.

Merlin1958
01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
If you start discussing the twelve, please use spoiler tags, cos I haven't read it yet.

Naturally, should a thread be started?

Dan
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm sure if you started one, people would use it.

Ricky
01-15-2013, 07:06 PM

That's why I suggested changing this thread's title to "The Passage Trilogy" rather than just "The Passage" so it can encompass discussion all three books.

Merlin1958
01-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Thread for discussing the "Twelve". You enjoyed it? You didn't? Discuss....

Merlin1958
01-15-2013, 07:09 PM

That's why I suggested changing this thread's title to "The Passage Trilogy" rather than just "The Passage" so it can encompass discussion all three books.

Very good point. I started one!!!

Odetta
01-15-2013, 08:00 PM
I will enter here shortly... almost finished

sgc1999
01-16-2013, 08:51 AM
I did...I did!!! I approached Joe Hill at the shindig where he signed all the uncopyedited manuscript proof and recommended the twelve since they were also giving out free proof copies of "the twelve" that day.
He said "thanks, but im gonna wait until the whole series is finished, then read them straight through". He is an impatient reader. Lost, must have been a bitch for him:)
anyway I couldn't wait that long to read it so when more people finish we can discuss:)

Yes, he said gonna not going to.
and yes, this is called name dropping.

im so ashamed of myself:nope:

ELazansky
01-16-2013, 08:56 AM
I finished it, and I really enjoyed it. It took me awhile to remember who everyone was. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story is going to finally end in 2014

sgc1999
01-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Ya, I guess maybe 2 more books and then some offshoot maybe later according to Justin.
I need to read the passage again just before the next one is released.

sgc1999
01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
its actually supposed to be more than 3 books now so you may want to call it "series" just sayin:)

jhanic
01-16-2013, 10:01 AM
I made the mistake of reading The Twelve without first rereading The Passage. As a result, I didn't like The Twelve that much.

John

Jimimck
01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Oh I hadn't heard that. Any idea how many there might be?

Ricky
01-16-2013, 02:35 PM
I really enjoyed The Twelve, but it's no where near The Passage, in my opinion. The Passage was a little bloated at times, but The Twelve seems like it needed to be longer. The last 100 or so pages and the ending, while action-packed and well-written, where a little rushed to me.

On a related note, I'm still not sure how I feel about killing off the remainder of the Twelve (minus Carter, and Amy if you want to make it 13). I definitely wasn't expecting that at all.

sgc1999
01-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I really enjoyed The Twelve, but it's no where near The Passage, in my opinion. The Passage was a little bloated at times, but The Twelve seems like it needed to be longer. The last 100 or so pages and the ending, while action-packed and well-written, where a little rushed to me.

On a related note, I'm still not sure how I feel about killing off the remainder of the Twelve (minus Carter, and Amy if you want to make it 13). I definitely wasn't expecting that at all.

I agree, he should have spaced out there demise over the rest of the series or at least waited for a grand finally.
To much at one time.

Ricky
01-16-2013, 04:59 PM
I agree. When it happened, it didn't have as big of an impact on me and the story in general as I thought it would when and if it eventually happened.

erxbooks
01-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Like most middle books in a trilogy, this story is trying to tie everything back together for the finale. I will need to read the last book to know if this one really works or not.

sgc1999
01-18-2013, 07:46 AM
I think he said most likely four and then some sort of side story.

Merlin1958
01-18-2013, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I can understand that, but it didn't bother me too much. There were however, two things that did a little bit. First off, I really enjoyed the book overall so these were relatively minor. I didn't care for the "storyline jumping". Now that usually does not bother me, but earlier in the story the pacing just seemed a bit off. It got better as the story progressed though IMHO.

The other thing that slightly "miffed" me was some of the Amy/Carter/Wolgast "in a higher realm" storyline. I mean I think I got most of Cronin's points, but I felt like it needed
a little more definition (?) I just seemed to come out of no where.

I guess what I mean to say is that I got his plot points, just didn't feel they were well made. If that makes sense.

Ricky
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Bill, I totally agree with your points. They were my main things as well. The Before Virus stuff (mainly the Kitteridge, Danny, April stuff) felt out of place. After I finished the book, I went back to those sections and really couldn't justify their existence in the book (unless Cronin plans to go back to some of those characters in The City of Mirrors). I loved the time-jumping in The Passage, but didn't really feel like it was needed in The Twelve instead of something more linear.

And the "higher realm" stuff, as you said, threw me off a bit, too. I understood the purpose and the emotions that he was trying to elicit, but it was a bit vague in terms of "what's going on here? How is this happening?"

Merlin1958
01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Bill, I totally agree with your points. They were my main things as well. The Before Virus stuff (mainly the Kitteridge, Danny, April stuff) felt out of place. After I finished the book, I went back to those sections and really couldn't justify their existence in the book (unless Cronin plans to go back to some of those characters in The City of Mirrors). I loved the time-jumping in The Passage, but didn't really feel like it was needed in The Twelve instead of something more linear.

And the "higher realm" stuff, as you said, threw me off a bit, too. I understood the purpose and the emotions that he was trying to elicit, but it was a bit vague in terms of "what's going on here? How is this happening?"

It is really good to know it was just not "Me". Yes, and you described it a bit better than I. Thanks!!!!

Jimimck
01-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Oh cool. Thanks for that.

Odetta
01-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Mixed opinions about this book... The jumping around was fine... Had trouble with Amy story line... Should have been more prominent maybe and thus, explained a little better?

I am a little confused about Lila... Why is it that she is able to interact with the virals
the way she does? Did I miss that explanation?

sgc1999
01-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I think its like the whole Ridley Scott Aliens thing, they smell something in her blood.

Ricky
01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Amy story line... Should have been more prominent maybe and thus, explained a little better?

I agree. I don't think it was as prominent as it maybe should have been.

Merlin1958
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
I think its like the whole Ridley Scott Aliens thing, they smell something in her blood.

Yeah, I got that sense as well.

Amy story line... Should have been more prominent maybe and thus, explained a little better?

I agree. I don't think it was as prominent as it maybe should have been.

Agreed, but maybe that plays into the third book? I sure hope so. It seemed "deliberate", no?

WeDealInLead
01-21-2013, 12:47 PM
I am a little confused about Lila... Why is it that she is able to interact with the virals

It's her connection to Grey. He mustve partially turned her.

Merlin1958
01-21-2013, 01:16 PM

It's her connection to Grey. He mustve partially turned her.

Yeah, I neglected to mention that "Grey" was a "familiar" to the Twelve.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Here's my discussion. I read it, I liked it. I'm lousy at detailed dissections of books I've read because I simply can't remember them. The one good thing about this is that when re-reading them it all seems new again.

Brice
01-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Here's my discussion. I read it, I liked it. I'm lousy at detailed dissections of books I've read because I simply can't remember them. The one good thing about this is that when re-reading them it all seems new again.

I am exactly the same. My memory is just horrible. (Actually, it's not! I can remember long chains of random numbers and phone numbers and stuff like that stay with me for years), but I'm likely to forget a lot of stuff such as would allow me to discuss details of books.

Dan
01-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Question about The Passage. I didn't see spoiler in title, so I'm putting in spoiler tags

I'm going through a re-read (this time audiobook) of The Passage. Will someone remind me how it is that the FBI hears about Amy being with the sisters? I remember wondering about this in my first read and I must have missed it again when listening. It seems as though she was dropped off by the mom, but all the sudden the FBI is aware of where she is even though it was never reported.

neosatus
01-22-2013, 09:30 PM
^Didn't one of the sisters call the police?

Lauterer
01-23-2013, 01:36 AM
I also re-read the passage and come over this section 2 days ago and there is no clue how they know about this... probably some clues later???

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-23-2013, 02:15 AM
This may be wrong, but didn't they see the report about the strange antics of the animals at the zoo?

Lauterer
01-23-2013, 03:11 AM
No... they came exactly in the moment Lacey and Amy are making trouble in the zoo...! It just says that they have information about Amys mother killed the student trying to rape her and that she gace Amy to the convent... but how the knew about that i do not know and i think it is not mentioned in the text at this part of time... should rereread it once more...!

Merlin1958
01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
I think now "spoiler" needs and should be in the thread title. Staff?

Thanks in advance for your help.

For that matter, my thread regarding "The Twelve" should have included "Spoilers". My bad, can management help out in both cases?

Many thanks in advance.

Dan
01-23-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm glad others are also confused about this. It was bugging me.

Jean
01-23-2013, 12:01 PM
For that matter, my thread regarding "The Twelve" should have included "Spoilers". My bad, can management help out in both cases?

Many thanks in advance.Welcome!

Merlin1958
01-23-2013, 12:02 PM

Many thanks in advance.Welcome!

Damn, you rock, Jean!!!

Jean
01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
very, very true

: modestly bows :

CRinVA
02-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Well I just finished last night - overall I liked it but was quite confused at several points in the story.

Merlin1958
02-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Well I just finished last night - overall I liked it but was quite confused at several points in the story.

Especially "Amy" parts, right? That got a little weird for me too.

Lauterer
02-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I loved the book, but its a harder one and you need to read attentive and you have to remember more irrelevant people and stories from The Passage.... i guess i have to reread all two books before the third one but i am really waiting for it...!

Merlin1958
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
I loved the book, but its a harder one and you need to read attentive and you hve to remember people and stories from The Passage.... i guess i hve to reread ll two books before the third one but i am really waiting for it...!

My thoughts exactly. I figure to wait until the third is out and start over again. It should be better that way.

jhanic
02-26-2013, 01:53 PM
I made the mistake of reading The Twelve without rereading The Passage and ended up very confused for a long time. I've learned my lesson!

John