PDA

View Full Version : Random signature in my copy of The Gunslinger

Qazeleus
05-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Hi all

I'm new to the forum, and new to The Dark Tower series in general, I ordered the first book of the series, The Gunslinger, from Amazon Marketplace this past week and it turned up yesterday. I was just about to start reading it earlier and noticed on the dedication page there is a big paragraph (that the person signing the book has wrote, it's a dedication type thing, eg. 'To such and such') with a signature at the bottom so I'm guessing it's got to have something to do with someone involved with the book series in some way. There is no name, just a signture of 'R2' and the 2 has a liquid droplet hanging off the top end, at least thats what it looks like to me, I don't know whether that's intentional or it just happened when the person was signing it.

It's either a genuine signature or the previous owner of the book having a laugh, but I thought I would ask on here as you guys might have a better idea of the people involved with the series other than Stephen King himself and their specific signatures.

Thanks for your help.

Sam
05-22-2010, 07:06 AM
First I would say that we need to see the inscription. If you can post it, we can go from there. As for the existence of the signature and inscription, people write inscriptions in books they buy for others all the time and this could be the case here, where someone purchased the book for another and wrote an inscription and signed it so the receipient would remember who gave it to them ten years later. They could have nothing at all to do with the book itself, I'm sorry to say.

Qazeleus
05-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Yeah, the message does look to be more personal as if the person who wrote it knew the person they were sending it to as they used first names and it's written very informally etc. And on a second glance, I can make out a name at the bottom now, they just seemed to have sloppy handwriting. :D

So all in all, it was nothing more than a personal inscription. Ah well, thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

Sam
05-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Is this book the first Grant edition or a later edition? If you got it for collectibility and for the book value, I suggest you return it as the book has been severely devalued for the collectibles market. If it is a later edition you purchased in order to read the book, keep it and read it, but understand that it is worth very little, if anything at all, to a collector.

Qazeleus
05-23-2010, 12:23 AM
It's the 2003 revised edition. I only bought it to read it, I don't collect books anyway really so didn't even think of that side of it, I was just wondering if it could have been an actual signature but then realised it's just someone who has sent the book to someone else as a gift.

Thanks anyway.