PDA

View Full Version : Can we please discuss The Dead Zone? ***Spoilers!!!

WeDealInLead
05-13-2010, 07:27 PM
This book broke my heart.

I liked all the direct (and not so direct) references to his other works but mostly to TDT.

Jean
05-13-2010, 08:40 PM
This book is my first love, it's the first I read by King and have loved it ever since. Broke my heart too, though.

Candice Dionysus
05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
I loved the story before I had read the book, because I fell in love with the main character as portrayed by Anthony Michael Hall in the show (Stephen King's The Dead Zone; 2002-2007; 81 episodes with a kind of "Alternate Universe" thing going on, one of the episodes touched on the original storyline, and the show was pretty good), but after reading the book I definitely prefer the original storyline. (But Anthony Michael Hall is handsome, so I sometimes still watch the show.)

I must say, I absolutely agree that this book was heartbreaking; I felt such great sorrow for Johnny Smith and what he had to go through. Some of the pages in my copy are a bit tear-stained, every few chapters a letter is somewhat smeared. But not so its unreadable, of I'd buy a new copy. XD I may do that anyhow, just so I have one in better condition.

WeDealInLead
05-15-2010, 05:30 AM
I was really hoping the hand she left on her back at the cemetery was Johnny's and that somehow they faked his death. I knew that would've been impossible but I still hoped. It was so unfair he died.

Iwritecode
03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I just re-read this book. I'm 99% sure I read it once before but I remembered almost nothing about it from my first time through. I think I tried to watch the movie after I read it and shut it off after about 20 minutes.

I agree with others that said that it was heart-breaking but I just could not get into the story for some reason. It was very slow-moving IMHO.

The time period it was set in kept jumping out at me for some reason. Especially when he mentioned how much things cost. A quarter for a beer. 40 cents for gas. A $30,000/year salary being considered really good. I don't think that has anything to do with my dislike of the book though because I loved Hearts In Atlantis which is set in a similar time.

The last 1/4 of the book was better but I really had to struggle through the first 3/4 of it.

Jean
03-02-2011, 02:38 PM
bears love their King slowwwwwwwww... the slower tbe better...

pixiedark76
03-02-2011, 08:21 PM
This book broke my heart.

I liked all the direct (and not so direct) references to his other works but mostly to TDT.

Reference to TDT? I can't recall any references to TDT?
This book is one of my favorite SK books and I believe this book never gets the credit it deserves. Jonny is the best character ever in a Stephen King book. He is the bravest most unselfish character ever.

Despite everything that happened to him, he still helped people and tried to do the right thing. Even when he did not want to.

I also think that Frank Dodd is the scariest villain in a SK book. Imagine a home town cop being a monster killer!

MPatrick
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I just finished reading this. I had seen the movie and some of the TV show. I love Christopher Walken, but his Johnny was kind of detached, and very Walken-esque. I haven't seen it in a while, and may watch it again soon, but the book is on a whole other level. I wasn't even half way through it and it was already climbing my "Best of SK" list.

So good; so tragic. A book I absolutely could not put down, and though I knew it was slowly moving towards tragedy I could not help but love it.

I can see why 'code found it slow, and maybe it was because I had seen the movie/some of the show, but I just found it fascinating. One of my faves for sure!

Jean
03-08-2011, 01:08 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Randall Flagg
08-30-2011, 07:26 AM
I am rereading this book and it is a great read. I also am reading The Shining, and although I love The Shining, TDZ has much better writing. King really knocked this one out of the park.

WeDealInLead
08-31-2011, 05:38 AM
TDZ is one of my favourite King books.

MPatrick
08-31-2011, 01:03 PM
5 months after reading this book, and I still find it haunting me.

onlylivingboyinny
11-16-2011, 04:48 PM
I've got to be honest, I had no information regarding the plot synopsis of this book until reading & after completion it instantly entered my top 3 King books.

Girlystevedave
11-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I loved this book. It's one that I've read a few times. To this day, the love story between Johnny and Sarah remains one of my favorites..I wanted them to be together so bad!
I think it's awesome how the story makes you look at things from the perspective of someone seen by society as a "madman". I read the book a few times before I made that connection.

Ben Mears
11-24-2011, 09:34 AM
I have read every King book through 11/22/63 and while 'Salem's Lot is my favorite, I believe that The Dead Zone is his best. A truly haunting story and one that resonates long after the final page. The graveyard scene is a pitch perfect ending.

Jean
11-24-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't really know what is the criterion for "the best" unless if is "favorite", but I agree it is probably his most perfect. Maybe Long Walk, too.

Ben Mears
11-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't really know what is the criterion for "the best" unless if is "favorite", but I agree it is probably his most perfect. Maybe Long Walk, too.

By best I mean it is his most compelling and accesible novel.

Joka42
02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
The third best SK book I read. Very good argument

Dan
03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I just finished reading this book. I read it in two nights, couldn't put it down. Awesome storyline. I really like the question "If you could go back in time and kill Hitler, would you?" It really set up the ending.

mae
10-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Here's the link to The Losers Club podcast discussion of the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcast-episode/episode-20-the-dead-zone/