PDA

View Full Version : FINAL: Best Death Award

Jean
05-12-2010, 12:42 AM
As nominated by our membership in the nomination round and then the semi-final, please vote now for the event you feel should win the award for Best Death.

Johnny Smith's final triumph
Georgie Denbrough
when the bomb goes off
When Nadine sacrifieced her life instead of delivering Flagg's baby
Roland dropping Jake
Roland pushes Jack Mort
Oy's death
Father Donald Callahan

the death of Annie Wilkes
When Ralph trades his life and sacrifices himself at the end so that his friend's daughter will live when she was supposed to die.

for the sake of readability, you can see the 2009 finalists here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7729)

Sam
05-12-2010, 10:08 AM
DT7 - II. No question about it.

SpaceMaN
10-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Still disappointed. All of these pale in comparison to a couple others.

fernandito
10-21-2010, 09:23 AM
DT2 for me.

After all the misery that Jack Mort caused, I was glad to see him dispatched in such a gruesome manner.

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Still disappointed. All of these pale in comparison to a couple others.:wtf: Well, there's always next year.

DT2 for me.

After all the misery that Jack Mort caused, I was glad to see him dispatched in such a gruesome manner.Yes, most satisfying. Oh, and it just makes me so admire the way the whole novel is structured. Very neat.
Still, DT7-II was definitely awesome. More great writing, and all the more interesting in that it doesn't tie together the book it occurs in, but instead seems part of another book altogether.
Maybe I should go hunt up a thread in the Gilead forum...

SpaceMaN
10-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Still disappointed. All of these pale in comparison to a couple others.:wtf: Well, there's always next year.

Doubtful. Hardly anyone's read the one I always think is/was the best. I tried last year and no one voted for it.

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2010, 01:49 PM
The Running Man? I've read it several times. That scene is pretty goodin a "stick to the man" sort of way.But, it really doesn't seem like best of the best to me, say sorry.

I wonder whether this world would be a better place or worse if that attitude were more popular with all of us.

Jean
10-22-2010, 02:25 PM
depends on how much more popular, and especially on who are "us"

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Quite so. Good catch. :)

SpaceMaN
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
I still vote that's the best death because it was the most heroic to people overall, in the society of the book. If you just go by death scene or whatever, no, it's not the best, but to me, seeing as how it was the last line of the book/story, and how everything led up to that and that decision, then yes, best. death. ever.

edit: that's why these polls are done as "opinion" polls. I'm not knocking anyone for not voting for my submission and whatnot, just trying to get across my reasoning, I think.

haunted.lunchbox
10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
DT7II.... I hope my edit works, if not, I'm sorry I posted a spoiler!

Mark
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
The Stand pt I for me.

cozener
12-17-2010, 09:05 AM
I thought Dana's death in The Stand was the best

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Explanation of my choice:

Callahan and Oy were truly great death scenes (as was Eddie), but for the most impact and meaning I chose Ralph in Insomnia. Though Callahan was a close second!!!.

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Should there be "spoiler" warnings? I played it safe

blavigne
12-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Callahan and Oy were truly great death scenes (as was Eddie), but for the most impact and meaning I chose Ralph in Insomnia. Though Callahan was a close second!!!.

Merlin I agree and I wanted to tell you that you ROCK!! Seriously, you are one cool dude!! :)

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 08:20 PM

Merlin I agree and I wanted to tell you that you ROCK!! Seriously, you are one cool dude!! :)

Why, Thank you!!! You're pretty darn cool too!!!!! One of these days I'll stump you in the R&R song game!!!! LOL LOL LOL

I have a fan!!!! And at my age!!! Oh My!!!! THX!!!!!

blavigne
12-17-2010, 08:24 PM

Why, Thank you!!! You're pretty darn cool too!!!!! One of these days I'll stump you in the R&R song game!!!! LOL LOL LOL

I have a fan!!!! And at my age!!! Oh My!!!! THX!!!!!

:rofl: you tickle my funny bone! Say true and thankya! LOL

Merlin1958
12-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Glad to be of service!!!!!! LOL

:cool:

BorZGits
09-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Biuty

And you so tried to do?

Walkingman79
09-06-2011, 08:51 AM
"Hi'ya Georgie!Want a balloon?"

Bad Karma
09-21-2011, 04:02 AM
Without a doubt, DT 7-II Father Callahan by FAR, BIG, BIG...if the day ever comes when I'm faced with that kind of situation, I can only hope I would do as he did. Face certain death head on, take some baddies with me...ie.. Stand, and be True

Jean
09-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Without a doubt, DT 7-II Father Callahan by FAR, BIG, BIG...if the day ever comes when I'm faced with that kind of situation, I can only hope I would do as he did. Face certain death head on, take some baddies with me...ie.. Stand, and be TrueThis.

DoctorDodge
09-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Voted Insomnia.

I just thought that ending of Ralph sacrificing himself was very bittersweet, and really sums up my feelings on life. Really, you could stop before the epilogue, and you would have your happy ending right there. Nearly everything's tied up, except for one little thing, which was the arrangement that Ralph made. You could stop reading right there, but you don't. Because life goes on after the happy ending. And then we come to the ultimate, true ending, where Ralph sacrifices himself not to save the world, and not even when he has nothing to lose, as a few years down the line, he's finally got a truly happy life again. But he does it to save one single life. Wonderful ending, and a wonderfully moving death.

Jon
10-08-2011, 08:26 AM
My vote: The Stand 1

Why?

It was for the good.

Far more bad died than good.

It was The Stand

It was Trash's dream.

He was a fellow Hoosier.

He was a fellow pyromaniac

It was a better way of taking out Flagg (implied) than a silly, baby-talking spider.

What a way to go!!!