PDA

View Full Version : Blockade Billy

Pasiuk57
05-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Thought we could start a thread on Blockade Billy.
I started it last night and finished it. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Sadly it was so short. King's description of baseball was great and I could see that if you do not know much about baseball you may have a harder time understanding some of the words/situations. Good short story for sure!

biomieg
05-06-2010, 04:04 AM
I haven't received the book yet but I downloaded the Kindle version from Amazon, together with UR (I don't own a Kindle but my iPod Touch has a free Kindle application).

I have to say I liked the story a lot (and I know next to nothing about baseball!).

carlosdetweiller
05-06-2010, 04:10 AM
I liked the story quite a bit. The illustrations did nothing for me and, honestly, I didn't like them at all. The price of the book ($25) is pretty high for relatively little reading time.

biomieg
05-06-2010, 04:45 AM
I liked the story quite a bit. The illustrations did nothing for me and, honestly, I didn't like them at all. The price of the book ($25) is pretty high for relatively little reading time.

Agreed and agreed. The eBook also cost me something like $12 which I normally wouldn't pay for the experience of reading off a small screen... but I felt the urge to read the story ASAP so I succumbed...

(never used that word before! I love the English language!)

carlosdetweiller
05-06-2010, 04:54 AM
but I felt the urge to read the story ASAP so I succumbed...

As a long time, and frequent, succumber I can relate to that.

Nerak
05-06-2010, 05:37 AM
It was an enjoyable story. Love Sai King's descriptions as always...and being told as someone talking to Steve was a nice way to tell the tale

giggler5
05-06-2010, 06:38 AM
i thought it came out later this month. either way, can't wait to read it. books on baseball are almost more enjoyable the watching the game itself, for me anyway.

lophophoras
05-06-2010, 06:42 AM
The Scribner Edition does come out later this month. The Cemetery Dance First Edition came out last month.

Ben Mears
05-06-2010, 08:38 AM
On a scale of 5:
Story-3
Cover Illustration-4
Interior illustrations-2
Baseball card-2
Price-1
Design and binding-4
Overall-2+

It was generous of SK to give this to CD and the overall result is fine. It was a nice surprise so I have no complaints but the reality is BB is an overpriced, over-hyped short story.

Cujo56
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I have to agree with it being overpriced for such a quick read. Has anyone seen the prices some people are asking for BB on Ebay or Abebooks? $75 obo & $160 obo on Ebay.
One seller on ABEbooks is asking $242!:orely:

Rahfa
05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I have to agree with it being overpriced for such a quick read. Has anyone seen the prices some people are asking for BB on Ebay or Abebooks? $75 obo & $160 obo on Ebay.

What do you mean? This is a limited edition of just 10K copies! Wait until you see what the second printing with the cream colored end papers sell for!

shnnrc01
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
ha! i love it!

jhanic
05-06-2010, 11:50 AM

What do you mean? This is a limited edition of just 10K copies! Wait until you see what the second printing with the cream colored end papers sell for!

I wouldn't be surprised if the second printing sells for a bit more than the first, given that most of the second printing is NOT going to collectors.

John

Gris
05-06-2010, 11:59 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the second printing sells for a bit more than the first, given that most of the second printing is NOT going to collectors.

John

Can't say I really agree with that statement John. CD made it pretty clear in the email that people buying the 2nd printing from them get priority and that whatever is left will be sent to libraries.

I'm fully expecting an email to this effect...

"We had such a massive show in interest in the 2nd printing from collectors, we've nearly sold 95% of the 2nd printing to private collectors, with it's uniquely unique and rare cream colored end pages of awesomeness that we have obtained permission for a 3rd printing to accommodate libraries with uniquely unique and rare green end pages which are available for purchase at our website with whatever remains unsold after 2 weeks to be distributed to libraries"

Repeat this bi-weekly with a new color end pages until people say FU CD.

Cujo56
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm holding out for turqoise

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-07-2010, 01:55 AM

Asking and getting are 2 different things. Lots of sellers on ebay have King books at prices that will never be realised.

In a few months it will be on ebay for half the list price.

Merlin1958
05-07-2010, 02:00 AM
It was an enjoyable story. Love Sai King's descriptions as always...and being told as someone talking to Steve was a nice way to tell the tale

Baseball book with no Yankee's in it? Preposterous!!!!

:P:P:P

Rahfa
05-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Asking and getting are 2 different things. Lots of sellers on ebay have King books at prices that will never be realised.

In a few months it will be on ebay for half the list price.

Not just Ebay, but Amazon will be selling used copies....this book will be cheap for a looooong time.

I'll get the Amazon cheap trade edition eventually, I suppose.

Cujo56
05-07-2010, 06:36 AM
What did you guys do with the baseball card?

mae
05-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Maybe this should be moved to Cara Laughs?

Brice
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM

Put it the spokes on my bike.

carlosdetweiller
05-07-2010, 11:40 AM

I traded mine for a Mickey Mantle rookie card.

Cujo56
05-07-2010, 12:00 PM

I traded mine for a Mickey Mantle rookie card.

Nice trade up!

swintek
05-07-2010, 01:25 PM

I was wondering what the hell to do with it myself. Provided you put a brodart plastic jacket cover on it, the card fits nicely tucked between that and the jacket flap (front or back). Oh, I'm sure there are acidity issues with the card laying right on the jacket flap that way, but I don't really care. It's all not that interesting anymore, and I'm not really worried about this book ever commanding serious prices in my lifetime- or my kids'.

Ron

mae
05-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Using it as a bookmark while reading the book?

Room 217 Caretaker
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not really worried about this book ever commanding serious prices in my lifetime- or my kids'.

Ron

:orely: I wonder how many people said that about the 10,000 print run of The Gunslinger. :wtf:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
05-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Maybe this should be moved to Cara Laughs?
Why?
The thread is primarily about Collecting the book.

jhanic
05-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I think Pablo meant the way this thread started was more a discussion about the story and not the book. It has since evolved.

John

Pasiuk57
05-07-2010, 06:28 PM
John
you are totally right. I liked the book. Yes it is too short at about 115 pages. Yes it costs $25. Yes it may sell for less later on, but I have always liked and played sports and the story was very good. I liked the "curveball" at the end!! (Pun intended!!)
I just HATED to see it end!!
I read it on my Kindle for about $7 and change (the hardcover version is still in shrink wrap).
I just enjoyed it-read it in one easy sitting.
It's ok though-I love to read everyone's reactions to the "book"!!

Sam
05-08-2010, 04:14 PM
The story was just kinda "meh" for me. The book is really pretty, but I still go back to "I paid $32 for a story that took me about three-four hours to read". That's about as long as The Gingerbread Girl in Just After Sunset, and that book cost about the same and had 12 other stories to go along with it. It wasn't a bad story, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype for me.

Sam
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM

I was hoping to get Blockade Billy to sign it but used it as a bookmark instead.

Pasiuk57
05-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Just found out I will be getting the UK proof of Blockade Billy. Not in my hands yet however.....

jhanic
05-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Congratulations! I haven't heard from my UK guy.

John

Cujo56
05-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Wish I had a guy that could get me one

carlosdetweiller
05-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Congratulations! I'm still working on getting the US versions.

carlosdetweiller
05-11-2010, 05:22 AM
I wonder if they are anticipating high sales in the UK? It will be a pricey book with only one story about baseball. Other than the fact that it is written by King I don't think there is much UK interest in baseball. Is there? I don't think FAITHFUL sold very well in the UK. Any thoughts on this from the UK members of the board?

Tito_Villa
05-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Yeah i have a copy from CD on the way so i doubt that i will get the UK version aswell, im not interested in baseball at all which i think goes for most from here but i have heard it is a good short story ... so i doubt that it will sell anywhere near aswell as in the U.S!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-11-2010, 05:39 AM
I wonder if they are anticipating high sales in the UK? It will be a pricey book with only one story about baseball. Other than the fact that it is written by King I don't think there is much UK interest in baseball. Is there? I don't think FAITHFUL sold very well in the UK. Any thoughts on this from the UK members of the board?

I think sales will be very low, but at least it will only cost around £5. The list price is £9.95 I think, but books are heavily discounted here.

No-one in the UK likes baseball. It is only played by young school girls, and they call it "rounders". The school girls also play basketball, but they call it "netball".

Randall Flagg
05-11-2010, 05:43 AM
No-one in the UK likes baseball. It is only played by young school girls, and they call it "rounders". The school girls also play basketball, but they call it "netball".
More proof the English can't speak 'English'.:couple:

Cloysterpete
05-11-2010, 09:24 AM
It's £7.49 from Amazon UK atm, I ordered the CD one (god knows when i'll get it) and i'll buy this one because of Morality. I never bought Faithful though, non-fiction Baseball naaa do me a favour, do any American understand Cricket?, well I don't understand Baseball.....though come to think of it it seems a simple enough game to understand....not like American Football, man that looks hugely baffling!.

Anyway i'll be buying Blockade but my mate (who bought Dome) won't be.

herbertwest
05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
More proof the English can't speak 'English'.:couple:

Do you remember when awhile back someone mentionned the difference of writing in english and american (asking for Blockade Billy).
And someone then mentionned Harry Potter for a few words that were different : like jammies ...
Well my gf told me that Harry Potter 2 have a different title :
HP and the philosopher's stone (eng)
HP and the sorcerer's stone (american)

jhanic
05-11-2010, 11:55 AM
True. I heard that the American publishers were afraid that no-one would understand "Philosopher's Stone" so they changed it to "Sorcerer's Stone." I think it's another case of a publisher underestimating their customer's intelligence.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Well my gf told me that Harry Potter 2 have a different title :
HP and the philosopher's stone (eng)
HP and the sorcerer's stone (american)

Strange. Philosopher and sorcerer are not even close in definition.

jhanic
05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I know. If anyone studies the history of alchemy, they would know the true definition of "Philosopher's Stone" (which is what Rowling intended). "Sorcerer's Stone" has no relation whatsoever to it, except it was owned by a sorcerer.

John

herbertwest
05-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Just found out I will be getting the UK proof of Blockade Billy. Not in my hands yet however.....

I should get one too...

Brice
05-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Well, hell...we all should get one. :lol:

Gris
05-13-2010, 05:06 AM
Well, hell...we all should get one. :lol:

agreed. PM me for my shipping info on where to send mine :D

Brice
05-13-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm still waiting on mine...that I don't expect to be getting.

lophophoras
05-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Tomas has a survey up on his site that you should check out!

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/index.php

mae
05-14-2010, 04:51 AM
I would love a dual slipcase to house both editions of Blockade Billy.

lophophoras
05-14-2010, 04:53 AM
I think a traycase for the first edition with a special clear window to protect and store the baseball card would be cool.

e_taylor
05-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Personally, I think if a case is offered from the publisher, then that should be the only case you buy. Even if it is from CD :(

frik
05-14-2010, 07:27 AM

That would be cool - I'd definitely get one.

sk

Ari_Racing
05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Just received confirmation that my order has been shipped! :)

Dolso
05-19-2010, 01:19 PM

Something like this? The card is behind plexiglass that's secured by magnets. This is just a proto-type that I'll end up keeping for myself so there will probably be a few changes to it.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/685/medium/BB3_75_.JPG

It's probably not sized correctly yet but as soon as I get the Trade (and assuming it's the same size as the CD edition) I can size it to fit both. If anyone is interested & can supply the size of the UK edition, all three could be put into one case. If any of you have an interest, I'll offer a discount to DT members. Non-DT member price is $90 plus shipping.

shnnrc01
05-19-2010, 11:01 PM
that looks great dolso,very neat way to hold the card too.and to hold all 3 books together would be a bonus!

Tito_Villa
05-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah i agree, that does look really cool!

frik
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I like it!!

sk

biomieg
05-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Well, what do you know? I just got a shipping confirmation :) that means I should have the book in about a week...

jhanic
05-22-2010, 02:43 AM
I just got an email from amazon.co.uk stating that my UK edition (not a proof :cry:) of Blockade Billy has shipped. (Shipping cost was more than the book!)

John

Cloysterpete
05-22-2010, 03:09 AM
I just got an email from amazon.co.uk stating that my UK edition (not a proof :cry:) of Blockade Billy has shipped. (Shipping cost was more than the book!)

John

Mine hasn't shipped from Amazon, but I still expect to have it well before I receive the CD one. Would have been cheaper to order yours from book depository as while the book is dearer (£7.31) they do free shipping worldwide.

jhanic
05-22-2010, 06:57 AM
I've never heard of Book Depository. Do they stock both the US and UK editions? Since I've never dealt with them, I'd be afraid they'd send me a US edition.

John

e_taylor
05-22-2010, 07:05 AM
I've never heard of Book Depository. Do they stock both the US and UK editions? Since I've never dealt with them, I'd be afraid they'd send me a US edition.

John

They have both - and they are actually based in the UK, so you'd have less to worry about.

I haven't been terribly impressed with their packaging though.

Cloysterpete
05-22-2010, 09:28 AM

John

They have both - and they are actually based in the UK, so you'd have less to worry about.

I haven't been terribly impressed with their packaging though.

Packaging is almost identical to Amazon, ie folded bits of cardboard for hardcovers or jiffy bags for paperbacks. Where they differ from Amazon is whereas Amazon uses boxes if you order a few books, Depos won't as they all ship separate.

Good for reading copies where you don't want to be paying anything for postage, not so great if your buying something collectible.

I would recommended giving them a shot with something low value, see if it gets to you in ok shape. This company makes more cash from it's foreign customers than it's UK ones so it must be doing something right, the guy who set it up was one of the top Amazon honchos at one time so they are similar in a lot of ways.

As for UK and US edition as e-taylor said they stock both, with the covers identical though you need to check out the publisher bit to see what your buying.

NeedfulKings
05-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Just wondering--why the interest in a second printing? Is it just a change in endpapers???

I enjoyed the story a lot. I wish King would write a full-length novel, centering around some type of "horror" in a baseball park.

jhanic
05-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Personally, I got the second printing because, if what CD said was true and the vast majority of that printing went to libraries, the second printing in mint condition could be more valuable than the first. Also, it was part of my obsession.

John

WeDealInLead
05-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Hmm.. just checked Ebay and the first printing is already at almost twice the cost.

wizardsrainbow
05-25-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm kinda surprised too. I bought (in total) 9 1st edition copies from CD (no discount!) and have sold them all at $30. I bought 3 copies 3 times as I would sell out, reorder, sell out and reorder. I got almost the last 3 copies they had. They still have to arrive (crosses fingers).

frik
05-25-2010, 06:14 AM
I got both first and second printing.

sk

Rahfa
05-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Hmm.. just checked Ebay and the first printing is already at almost twice the cost.

It's definitley going to spike in value, but I'm not sure it will have legs...I hope it does, since that will help values for everything.

lophophoras
05-27-2010, 03:46 AM
Got my Scribner edition in the mail yesterday.

That's a little book...

Tito_Villa
05-27-2010, 03:51 AM
I got my UK version today, i have to say i do like the looks of the book!

biomieg
05-27-2010, 03:54 AM
I got my Hodder & Stoughton version today as well (shipping of the Scribner version was confirmed a couple of days ago). It is a tiny book indeed but that was what I expected anyway. I'm curious as to how the US and UK versions are different... probably not much except for the publisher's logo on the spine. Oh well...

... looks like I'm getting both mass-market trades sooner than the CD 1st edition.

WeDealInLead
05-27-2010, 05:22 AM
I bought mine from a local store yesterday. Oh well.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-27-2010, 05:32 AM
The CD release is roughly 1" taller over the mass 1st edition release. I wonder if the UK is the same size as the US?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jhanic
05-27-2010, 05:34 AM
I went to a Borders Tuesday evening and they had no copies out. I thought it was supposed to be out on May 25. No big deal, but I was surprised.

John

Tito_Villa
05-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Well the UK version is 7 1/4" high!

lophophoras
05-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Sounds alot bigger than the US version.

LostAlivE
05-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Well the UK version is 7 1/4" high!

Well the US version is also 7 1/4. About 1 inch shorter the the CD edition.

Ari_Racing
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I've just received both the US and CD versions :)

jhanic
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I just got my Scribner edition of Blockade Billy and was surprised that the story itself was only 80 pages. Morality was 49 pages. I knew there were no illustrations, but...

John

tippy4
05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
What is the latest on the publication month (or year) on the S/L?

Randall Flagg
05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
What is the latest on the publication month (or year) on the S/L?

2012, one month after the world ends. :)

Brice
05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
...and the lettered? :lol:

Randall Flagg
05-27-2010, 07:15 PM
...and the lettered? :lol:
Upon the New Beginning. :evil:

Brice
05-27-2010, 07:22 PM
well...at least till they'll start with the "at the printer/binder" emails then.

Clacke
05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Latest info on the S/L Blockade Billy posted on the Lonely Roads website, including a photo of the signed baseball card:
http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/news.html

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/stephenkingbaseballcardsigned.jpg

Ari_Racing
05-28-2010, 04:24 PM
It looks like a really cool item :)

jhanic
05-29-2010, 03:53 AM
I got my UK trade edition of Blockade Billy yesterday. Physically, it's the same size as the Scribner edition. There are some differences, however. The endpapers on the Hodder edition are bright red; those of the Scribner edition are white. The front cover of the UK edition is lighter in color than the US. The spines are very different:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_items/BlockadeBillyspines.jpg

Of course, the Hodder spine is on the right.

John

Randall Flagg
05-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the comparison.

biomieg
05-29-2010, 05:02 AM
Thank you John, I was hoping for at least some differences between the US and UK versions when I saw the cover art on the UK edition was the same... still waiting for my Scribner and CD copies...

frik
05-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Both the H&S and the Scribner version have found their way into my collection.
Still awaiting four more editions....:)

sk

jhanic
05-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Does your Hodder edition also have the red endpapers?

John

biomieg
05-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Yes (about the same hue as the Blockade Billy lettering on the front cover).

jhanic
05-29-2010, 06:42 AM
You're right. I hadn't noticed that.

John

LostAlivE
05-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Where can I get a copy of the UK edition?
Can I get it from Amazon.co.uk? Is that one the same as the one you are talking about?
Thank you
Lostalive

jhanic
05-29-2010, 03:04 PM
That's where I got mine:

Blockade Billy: WITH Morality: Amazon.co.uk: Stephen King: Books

John

LostAlivE
05-29-2010, 04:07 PM
That's where I got mine:

Blockade Billy: WITH Morality: Amazon.co.uk: Stephen King: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blockade-Billy-Morality-Stephen-King/dp/1444716190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275174214&sr=1-1)

John

Thank you I just ordered mine from them.
But why are the selling the CD edition as well?

LostAlivE
05-29-2010, 04:13 PM
For a cheap book there sure are a lot of different editions of it out there.
The S/L edition that was $450.00 I hope someone who got it will post some pics of it.
What can they do to it to make it worth that much money? A signed baseball card and slipcase and I know there are only 350 being made but heck.

jhanic
05-29-2010, 04:28 PM
I've got one of the signed limiteds on order. I don't expect it any time soon though. I ordered it because I'm obsessed. Best explanation I can come up with! :P

I currently own five different versions of Blockade Billy:

CD ARC
CD first printing
CD second printing
Scribner trade
Hodder & Stoughton trade

I'm still looking for the white proof from CD. I'm also trying to find out if there were proofs issued by Scribner and Hodder. As I said, I also have the s/l on order.

John

Cujo56
05-29-2010, 05:05 PM
You are obsessed, but it's all good!

carlosdetweiller
05-29-2010, 05:58 PM
We are ALL obsessed. Otherwise we wouldn't be reading these posts on a Saturday night!

Room 217 Caretaker
05-29-2010, 06:17 PM
We are ALL obsessed. Otherwise we wouldn't be reading these posts on a Saturday night!

:wtf::lol::rofl::lol::D

I'm sleep typing

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

WeDealInLead
05-29-2010, 06:56 PM
It's Saturday night?

Ari_Racing
05-29-2010, 11:09 PM
John, my contact inside Scribner told me that there are no proofs/arcs of Blockade Billy made by them

Cloysterpete
05-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Can I get it from Amazon.co.uk? Is that one the same as the one you are talking about?
Thank you
Lostalive

You can also get it from Book Depository. www.bookdepository.co.uk (or .com).

They have the UK Hodder release for £6.48, the US Scribner release for £8.16, the Cem Dance edition for £15.09 and two audio releases lol.

I ordered my UK one from Amazon but I ordered the Scribner one from this place as free worldwide shipping makes them much cheaper than Amazon.com.

SkippyD023
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Thank you
Lostalive

They have the UK Hodder release for £6.48, the US Scribner release for £8.16, the Cem Dance edition for £15.09 and two audio releases lol.

I ordered my UK one from Amazon but I ordered the Scribner one from this place as free worldwide shipping makes them much cheaper than Amazon.com.

Where did you see the price for £6.48? I just checked and it was £8.99 for the H&S and £8.39 for the Scribner edition. I also thought CD said no copies went to resellers, how are they selling CD copies, was this another misrepresentation on CD's part or did I understand them wrong?

Cujo56
05-30-2010, 09:02 AM
From a CD email:

If you had told me we would end up selling all 10,000 first edition trade copies to individual readers (which is exactly what will happen in the next couple weeks), I would have sworn up and down that you were crazy.

If you had told me Stephen would graciously allow us to reprint another 10,000 copies of the trade edition and all of them would be swallowed up by just libraries (that's right, not a single retail account in the bunch), I would have known that you were crazy.

And, finally…if you had told me that retail demand – make that retail frenzy – for our secret, little Stephen King baseball project (which was always meant to have a very limited printing) would lead to Steve and CEMETERY DANCE working out a deal with Scribner to make Blockade Billy available to all his Constant Readers, I would have asked what planet you were living on... which, incidentally, is exactly what the head buyer at one of the country's biggest booksellers asked Cemetery Dance Marketing Director Brian Freeman when he explained to them that they would not be receiving any copies of our edition of the book!

Cloysterpete
05-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Thank you
Lostalive

Where did you see the price for £6.48? I just checked and it was £8.99 for the H&S and £8.39 for the Scribner edition. I also thought CD said no copies went to resellers, how are they selling CD copies, was this another misrepresentation on CD's part or did I understand them wrong?

Here http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781444716191/Blockade-Billy

I presume the CD one is the 2nd printings, Amazon has it also.

Gris
06-01-2010, 05:07 AM
I've got one of the signed limiteds on order. I don't expect it any time soon though. I ordered it because I'm obsessed. Best explanation I can come up with! :P

I currently own five different versions of Blockade Billy:

CD ARC
CD first printing
CD second printing
Scribner trade
Hodder & Stoughton trade

I'm still looking for the white proof from CD. I'm also trying to find out if there were proofs issued by Scribner and Hodder. As I said, I also have the s/l on order.

John

John, my contact inside Scribner told me that there are no proofs/arcs of Blockade Billy made by them

John, I 2nd what Ari said. My contact also told me that no galleys were printed for BB from Scribner.

jhanic
06-01-2010, 05:17 AM
:cry:

John

biomieg
06-01-2010, 06:04 AM
... don't worry John, in a couple of months we can start hunting for proofs of Full Dark, No Stars!

jhanic
06-01-2010, 06:10 AM
You got that right! I figure they should start issuing the proofs in September or so. :clap:

John

biomieg
06-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Yes. Unfortunately I will have to rely on the secondary market as I don't have any 'contacts' in the industry...

wizardsrainbow
06-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Looking for a 1st edition copy of Blockade Billy with the baseball card from CD. Anyone have a spare they want to sell?

PM me or e-mail david@bettsbooks.com

Thanks

biomieg
06-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Supposedly, my Cemetery Dance copy of Blockade Billy (which I ordered approximately 10 minutes after The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT went live on their website) was shipped on May, 19th. I have ordered and received at least three books from the US after that date. I'm not sure how much I paid for shipping but it seems as if CD includes a fee for the postal office to make it true snail mail!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-09-2010, 02:54 AM
There must be a problem with your order. Mine arrived quite quickly after the shipping confirmation email.

biomieg
06-09-2010, 03:50 AM
I just checked the tracking number I was given and it still says: "Status: Electronic Shipping Info Received". I know I won't get much details from the tracking # once the book has left The States but shouldn't this at least read something like: "Shipment Was Sent"?

I guess I need to contact Mindy again.

jhanic
06-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Good idea. I have a feeling that the US Post Office lost it. This has happened to me with books from other publishers, etc.

John

wizardsrainbow
06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Tim Miller strikes again with a signed Blockade Billy.

I've asked Marsha if it is legit

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-1st-BLOCKADE-BILLY-Ephemera-Book-/130399030975?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item1e5c634ebf

Clacke
06-11-2010, 06:12 AM
I used The Book Depository, as recommended further up the page, and picked up the Scribner trade edition and second print Cemetery Dance edition - 26 euro for both and free postage. Great value and very prompt delivery. Slight downside in that they arrived in padded envelopes, but thankfully both survived with no bumps or dings!

Cutter
06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Tim Miller strikes again with a signed Blockade Billy.

I've asked Marsha if it is legit

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-1st-BLOCKADE-BILLY-Ephemera-Book-/130399030975?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item1e5c634ebf

If not, as anyone thought of using this government site?

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx)

These guys will put down fraud sellers, no bs.

Bev Vincent
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Simon & Schuster has announced a new contest open to US residents in the 50 states and District of Columbia who are 18 or older which will run from June 11th-30th. Ten winners will receive a limited edition Blockade Billy poster, a copy of Blockade Billy, and a copy of Under the Dome.

Twenty runners up will receive a limited edition Blockade Billy poster and a copy of Blockade Billy.

For more information about the contest, rules, and to enter, click here (http://www.simonandschuster.com/sweepstakes/enter-the-blockade-billy-poster-sweepstakes).

Randall Flagg
06-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Entered (reluctantly..not sure why a DOB is needed).
Thanks Bev.

frik
06-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Great, another contest I can't join.....:(
Good luck, guys!

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-11-2010, 10:34 PM
..not sure why a DOB is needed).

They sell your details to other companies.

gsvec
06-11-2010, 10:54 PM
My guess is to attest that you're over 18.

Bev Vincent
06-12-2010, 05:52 AM
Entered (reluctantly..not sure why a DOB is needed).

To confirm that you are 18 or older.

herbertwest
06-12-2010, 09:28 AM
US residents... :nope:

alinda
06-13-2010, 04:35 AM
I got this from the SK library. I enjoyed the story
even tho' being sports related I wasn't sure I would.
The short piece of story " Morality" beyond it was
what really grabbed me. A true SK story with that
turn of our minds when he reveils the truth that we
are all very capable of darkness.
:evil:

Pasiuk57
06-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Just received a UK Blockade Billy with all the promotional material for it.

Ari_Racing
06-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Which promo material does it contain?

jhanic
06-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Is that a proof?

John

Pasiuk57
06-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Not a proof but a first hardcover and a nice promotional letter from the publisher. I'm told there is NO UK proof.

LostAlivE
06-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I hope someone posts pics of the S/L of BB so we all can see what it looks like when it finally comes out. I really would like to see what it looks like.

Jack Torrance
06-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Thought we could start a thread on Blockade Billy.
I started it last night and finished it. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Sadly it was so short. King's description of baseball was great and I could see that if you do not know much about baseball you may have a harder time understanding some of the words/situations. Good short story for sure!

I just bought this book today! I am glad you posted about it. As soon as I finish the Dark Tower I am planning on reading it. I read fast though so it will be sad that it is short. It only has 132 pages from what I saw.

In your opinion was it worth the buy?

willie3
06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Just received this from Mindy at Cemetery Danse

Hi there!
You're receiving this email because you purchased a slipcase for Blockade Billy by Stephen King.
We're pleased to report that our slipcase maker expects to have the prototype in our hands next week, and their schedule is almost set for the rest of the summer. If all goes well, we're estimating they'll be done making these cases in August, but we'll send you another email when we have a confirmed date.

Karl

LostAlivE
06-19-2010, 09:12 AM
I got the CD 1st/1st and CD 1st/2nd
the one from Amazon.com US edition and
the one from Amazon.com UK edition
I don't collect the ARCs
Would love to have the S/L edition but $450.00 is a bit much for me and the second market for these are going to be way too much.

Ricky
07-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Blockade Billy was on sale for 50% off at my local Barnes and Noble so I figured I would snatch up a copy to avoid reading the limited. I wasn't going to buy the Scribner one, but for 50% off, they reeled me in. :lol:

Also I found a copy of the CD 2nd printing in the SK section. Weird. Maybe someone returned it to B&N, instead of CD? :orely:

Ricky
07-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Hmm...would CD allow that since only the limiteds were distributed through them?

Brice
07-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Hmm...would CD allow that since only the limiteds were distributed through them?

Heh...you must have seen the post I deleted before I did....and that is why I did. I forgot about that.

Ricky
07-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Haha, yeah, must've saw it right after you posted. :)

candy
07-05-2010, 01:52 AM
just read this - being from the Uk i had no idea what was going on:wtf:

Clacke
07-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Don't know if anyone is still wanting a Cemetery Dance 1st printing. but got an email from PS Publishing just now saying he has ten copies for sale:

Due to the huge cost of shipping books from the US to the UK and other parts of the world, we have agreed to offer a selected number of books from other publishers.

This is one of the first three from our friends at Cemetery Dance. Hopefully, if this experiment is successful we will introduce more

To start this new arrangement, we're offering 10 copies of the now sold-out first printing of Stephen King's new baseball novella, Blockade Billy;

But you'd probably want to be fast about it! The link:

http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/acatalog/Blockade_Billy.html

TwistedNadine
08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
alinda "I got this from the SK library. I enjoyed the story
even tho' being sports related I wasn't sure I would.
The short piece of story " Morality" beyond it was
what really grabbed me. A true SK story with that
turn of our minds when he reveils the truth that we
are all very capable of darkness."

I agree 100%

frik
08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Don't know if anyone is still wanting a Cemetery Dance 1st printing. but got an email from PS Publishing just now saying he has ten copies for sale:

Due to the huge cost of shipping books from the US to the UK and other parts of the world, we have agreed to offer a selected number of books from other publishers.

This is one of the first three from our friends at Cemetery Dance. Hopefully, if this experiment is successful we will introduce more

To start this new arrangement, we're offering 10 copies of the now sold-out first printing of Stephen King's new baseball novella, Blockade Billy;

But you'd probably want to be fast about it! The link:

http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/acatalog/Blockade_Billy.html

Sold out!

sk

mae
10-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I remember there was talk of a slipcase to house both the CD and Scribner editions together. Did that ever materialize?

Dolso
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Don't know if you were talking about a different case or not, but I made a couple of them. This is the one for a CD & Scribner..........

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/685/medium/Lined_w_spacer_books_500.JPG

Also made one that held the Scribner 1st, CD, UK 1st & a proof (I think those were the 4 it held.)

Tito_Villa
10-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Hows the arm Dick???

Dolso
10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Hows the arm Dick???

Tom??? What the deal with the new names? I must have missed something.

Arm's hanging on by a thread (or bone) ,,,,,,,,,,,,:cyclops: :lol:

See the avatar??? Don't look too close if you have a weak stomach!

Randall Flagg
10-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Hows the arm Dick???

Tom??? What the deal with the new names? I must have missed something.

Arm's hanging on by a thread (or bone) ,,,,,,,,,,,,:cyclops: :lol:

See the avatar??? Don't look too close if you have a weak stomach!
Temporary name changes are for Halloween-think costume.

Dolso
10-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Ah, yes...Halloween............maybe I should put on a raincoat & use my real name???

Patrick
10-20-2010, 03:46 PM
:lol: Good to see you posting again, Dick.

Dolso
10-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks -- good to be back!!

I used to pretty much fly over a key board but it's a bit cumbersome now that I'm a one-handed hunt & peck typist. :arg:

Tito_Villa
10-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Haha yeah it's meeeeeeee :lol: As RF said we have a tempoary change over halloween!
Good to see you back on here, i guess it will still be a while before you can make cases again?

Dolso
10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Thing!!

Actually TRYING to do a bit of building now (but don't tell my Doctor!) Problem is that what used to take 15 minutes to do two-handed, now takes an hour or two to do one-handed! Between that & just plain not having the stamina to work for long periods (my body would rather heal than work) It takes FOREVER to get anything accomplished. :arg: Hopefully will be able to start pretty quick on a case that I promised a couple months ago...unfortunately, it may take a couple more months to finish!!

Tito_Villa
10-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Well its good that you can do some work, something to focus on! On another note i passed my First Aid refresher course today :)

Dolso
10-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Congrats, Tom...Good for you!! :thumbsup:

Brian James Freeman
11-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I hope someone posts pics of the S/L of BB so we all can see what it looks like when it finally comes out. I really would like to see what it looks like.

I will be posting a bunch of photos on the Lonely Road Books website. :)

By the way, if anyone who bought the LRB edition through Cemetery Dance did NOT get the emailed production update the other day, please email me and I'll send it to you and make sure your email address is up-to-date on your account. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
http://www.CemeteryDance.com
brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Randall Flagg
11-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Woo Hoo! Another book soon to be off the punchlist.

Jimimck
01-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Brian, can you also give us an update for S/L Blockade Billy? or do I need to ask Lonely Road Books? (I'm just a bit unsure as to the extent of the CD/Lonely Road Books relationship)
Cheers
James

Brian James Freeman
01-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Brian, can you also give us an update for S/L Blockade Billy? or do I need to ask Lonely Road Books? (I'm just a bit unsure as to the extent of the CD/Lonely Road Books relationship)
Cheers
James

No problem! I thought I had posted the most recent update in a Blockade Billy thread, but I can't find it now. :)

The books are finished, the baseball cards are signed, and I'm just waiting on the traycases now. They've taken much longer than I expected, but a lot of that was the Lettered Edition case, which houses two baseball cards and an art portfolio. The Limited Edition traycase also houses the two baseball cards, but we worked around that complication pretty quickly once we considered the different ways we could inset the book in the case to protect the cards.

It took forever to get enough of the Japanese book cloth we needed, but hopefully the manufacturer will hit their latest deadline of this month. I have a feeling February or, unfortunately, maybe even March is looking more likely, but who knows, they might surprise me. I'll post an official update when I know for sure. Photos of the actual books have been posted here:

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books/blockadebilly/photos.html

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/blockadebilly/BB01.JPG

To answer your other question, people confuse the relationship between CD and LRB because of my obvious connection to both, but LRB is a side project I started separately with some co-funding from Rich. I take advantage of the established backend CD has in place for processing & shipping orders because it's expensive to get that sort of thing up and running for a new press, and I'm here 60 to 80 hours a week anyway, so I'd be a fool not to use what's available to me. :) CD takes an appropriate cut for its services, just like when we sell and ship books from Subterranean Press, Gauntlet, Borderlands, Scribner, etc.

I don't know how much everyone on here collects outside of the world of SK, but if you've watched the horror small press over the last 20 years, you know most new presses fail after one or two books. The three biggest reasons are: funding problems, picking poor projects to publish, and trouble reaching customers in the marketplace. So taking full advantage of this relationship I already have with a company that shipped 65,000 orders last year seemed like the best way to guarantee LRB would be around for as long as I wanted.

Hope that information helps clarify the situation!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

lophophoras
01-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Brian, what is the possibility of there being any leftover signed King baseball cards? I wasn't able to purchase the signed limited but it would be really cool to get a chance to purchase one of the cards.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Any chance of still getting a signed BRONCO (I mean BLOCKADE!!!) BILLY from the waiting list, or has that been closed?

jhanic
01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Any chance of still getting a signed BRONCO BILLY from the waiting list, or has that been closed?

Don't you mean Blockade Billy? :P

John

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Oops, I guess I was thinking about the next book in the series, or else my brain is starting to malfunction. I'll just go and edit that thar post, pardner.

Brian James Freeman
01-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Brian, what is the possibility of there being any leftover signed King baseball cards? I wasn't able to purchase the signed limited but it would be really cool to get a chance to purchase one of the cards.

There aren't many extras because, unlike a signature sheet where there might be damage during the tipping process, these cards are being placed in the display section of the traycases by hand, so I don't anticipate much damage issues during the production process.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
01-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Any chance of still getting a signed BRONCO (I mean BLOCKADE!!!) BILLY from the waiting list, or has that been closed?

The waiting list ended up being huge, so I'm pretty sure we just shut it down to new entries. Sorry!

By the way, I've seen a lot of funny variations on the title and "Bronco" is actually really common! I guess, in another life, Billy was really into the rodeo scene! ;)

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Patrick
01-16-2011, 10:16 PM
No problem! I thought I had posted the most recent update in a Blockade Billy thread, but I can't find it now. :)
I moved these posts over to the BB thread.

Thanks for the update, Brian.

Brian James Freeman
02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Blockade Billy signed editions shipping update and more photos posted today:

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/news.html

Short version is, the cases will be here by the end of the week and shipping will begin next week. It will be a slow process because each case needs both cards inserted, etc, but we'll move as fast as we can while taking great care to protect the books.

PLEASE NOTE: If you did NOT receive the "confirm your address" email a little bit ago and you ordered from Cemetery Dance, PLEASE email me right away. We need you to confirm your address before we can process your order for shipment. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Jimimck
02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Awesome news!
Got my address confirmation email this morning so all good to go.

My first S/L!! Yay. :excited:

thegreattim
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Congrats! I've still to obtain my first King S/L. Some day!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-21-2011, 11:16 PM
My first S/L!! Yay.

Except that it is not signed in the book.

Brian James Freeman
02-22-2011, 07:38 AM
My first S/L!! Yay.

Except that it is not signed in the book.

Does it need to be signed in the book to be a Signed Limited Edition? I thought being Signed by the author and being a Limited Edition made it a Signed Limited Edition. :)

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/blockadebilly/BB02.JPG

Brian

WeDealInLead
02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
I gotta say it, after seeing how nice the case for the S/L looks, I'm kicking my own ass for not ordering one. I assumed it was going to be a regular slipcase with the signed card and that's it.

carlosdetweiller
02-22-2011, 07:47 AM
It is just semantics, I guess. Just to play the devil's advocate, does gluing a signed book plate to the ffe of a book make it a signed book? I don't really think so, but others may. It is a different way to do it to be sure. I guess it would be analogous to the S/L THE REGULATORS. King didn't sign the actual book or even a page in the book. He signed the checks as Richard Bachman and they were later glued to the ffe. Of course the checks were numbered and I don't know if these baseball cards are.

Brice
02-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Personally I thought the baseball cards (as with the Regulators checks) were a neat idea though I've seen neither up close yet.

ELazansky
02-22-2011, 08:37 AM
It is just semantics, I guess. Just to play the devil's advocate, does gluing a signed book plate to the ffe of a book make it a signed book? I don't really think so, but others may. It is a different way to do it to be sure. I guess it would be analogous to the S/L THE REGULATORS. King didn't sign the actual book or even a page in the book. He signed the checks as Richard Bachman and they were later glued to the ffe. Of course the checks were numbered and I don't know if these baseball cards are.

You could go a step farther with this - (I think I'm going to get flamed for this, but...). Is a signed limited book really a "signed book?" The author did not actually "sign" the book. He/she signs a page that is bound into it. So technically, they never actually signed the book.

Brian James Freeman
02-22-2011, 08:47 AM
I guess it would be analogous to the S/L THE REGULATORS. King didn't sign the actual book or even a page in the book. He signed the checks as Richard Bachman and they were later glued to the ffe. Of course the checks were numbered and I don't know if these baseball cards are.

The cards aren't numbered because we didn't want to write on Steve's face or over the text at the bottom. :) But each book has a signature sheet signed by the artists, and that sheet is numbered or lettered.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

carlosdetweiller
02-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I guess it would be analogous to the S/L THE REGULATORS. King didn't sign the actual book or even a page in the book. He signed the checks as Richard Bachman and they were later glued to the ffe. Of course the checks were numbered and I don't know if these baseball cards are.

The cards aren't numbered because we didn't want to write on Steve's face or over the text at the bottom. :) But each book has a signature sheet signed by the artists, and that sheet is numbered or lettered.

Well, in case the horse isn't already dead, I will continue to beat it (just for the purposes of discussion). Baseball cards traditionally aren't numbered on the front but on the back with the player's statistics and biographical information. At least when I collected them in the 1960's that was the way they were done. In retrospect it would have been sort of cool to have some fictional statistics and player information for King printed on the back along with a card number that corresponded to the book number.

Brian James Freeman
02-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Well, in case the horse isn't already dead, I will continue to beat it (just for the purposes of discussion). Baseball cards traditionally aren't numbered on the front but on the back with the player's statistics and biographical information. At least when I collected them in the 1960's that was the way they were done. In retrospect it would have been sort of cool to have some fictional statistics and player information for King printed on the back along with a card number that corresponded to the book number.

There is a back to the card, but I don't think anyone outside the office has seen it yet. I worried that numbering the card in a place where people would have to remove the card and handle it wasn't the best option, so I went with a traditional signature sheet in the book for the numbering/lettering. The card itself was already considered "kind of out there" by some. :) But numbering/lettering the card AND the book to match would have been pretty cool!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

jhanic
02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I have to put in my two cents here--if the baseball card/signed check/bookplate is actually signed, that makes it a signed limited edition. It becomes a signed numbered limited if the book is numbered. Thus, the Scribner signed edition of Under the Dome is a signed limited, but not a signed numbered edition.

John

Patrick
02-24-2011, 11:43 PM
I agree with John's opinion.

Brian, I took a look at the signed limited and lettered editions on the link upthread. Beautiful job!

Brian James Freeman
02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Patrick!

By the way, just a little note for the collectors who might be interested: the text in the BLUE bars on the back of King's card (position, weight, height, bats, throws, batting average, lifetime average, and the "Fun Fact" involving the Green Monster) all came from King himself.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Patrick
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
By the way, just a little note for the collectors who might be interested: the text in the BLUE bars on the back of King's card (position, weight, height, bats, throws, batting average, lifetime average, and the "Fun Fact" involving the Green Monster) all came from King himself.
Nice touch!

Brian James Freeman
02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Nice touch!

I love the "Fun Fact" for some reason. It makes me smile every time I see it.

Everything is now in the warehouse and inspections have begun. Orders have been printed and are being organized. Limited Edition shipping should begin on Monday and will easily take the entire week because of the complexity of the process (cases being inspected, cards being inserted, books being inspected, books being numbered, etc). If anyone wants an update on where their shipment stands, always please feel free to email me directly and I will check for you!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

jhanic
02-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Eagerly waiting for my email!

John

Ari_Racing
02-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Any chance to see the back of King's card? :)

Awesome detail to know King wrote it!

Brian James Freeman
02-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Any chance to see the back of King's card? :)

Awesome detail to know King wrote it!

I'm sure I can post a scan sometime in the near future! The text is his standard bio, but the stats and other details are pretty neat. At least in my mind!

Brian

Ari_Racing
02-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Cool! :)

Thanks Brian!

evilash
02-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Hey all. I need some help here... what do you think about a copy of the signed limited Blockade Billy for $500 incl priority shipping to Canada? Does that seem like a fair price? Someone around here must have an opinion. I value the expertise that members here have.

carlosdetweiller
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey all. I need some help here... what do you think about a copy of the signed limited Blockade Billy for $500 incl priority shipping to Canada? Does that seem like a fair price? Someone around here must have an opinion. I value the expertise that members here have.

What was the issue price from CD?

Jimimck
02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
$450

Room 217 Caretaker
02-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Personally I think you are getting a good deal. The price you've been quoted includes shipping, that means you really aren't paying that much of a premium over publish price.

Good luck

Mulleins

evilash
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks, I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. The book looks fantastic!

jhanic
02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
i just got my email that my copy of the s/l Blockade Billy has shipped! I should have it tomorrow!

John

jhanic
03-01-2011, 09:02 AM
I just got my copy! #159.

John

Randall Flagg
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
They really need to ship the West Coast books first. :angry:

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
They really need to ship the West Coast books first. :angry:

All of the Limited Editions are shipping this week -- more than half will have shipped by the end of today. Here's the problem with the "West Coast First" idea...

*** Right now, this is how the system works:

For US customers, we ship in the order you ordered. So the first US customer to order ships first, and the last US customer ships last, and then we start on the Non-US orders. Our system cannot automatically fill the orders in any other order.

Day One: We print all of the orders

Day Two: We begin assigning numbers and printing labels using the batch printing function in our order management program.

Day Three: We begin shipping US orders.

*** To ship the west coast orders first, here's what we'd need to do:

Days One, Two, Three: Print all of the orders and sort them by hand into piles based on location and hope not to lose anything important.

Days Four, Five, Six: start assigning numbers and printing labels manually. Labels must printed manually, one at a time, which takes significantly more time and labor than the batch printing.

*** Based on how we currently do things, here's how this book was shipped:

1) Last Thursday we printed the orders.

2) Last Friday we started assigning numbers and printing labels, and the first handful of orders actually shipped.

3) On Monday we shipped 75 more orders.

4) Today we will ship another 75 orders.

5) All of the US orders will be done this week.

6) East coast customers started receiving their books on Tuesday. West Coast customers will start receiving their books next Monday.

*** Under the "West Coast First" plan, here's how it would have happened:

1) Last Thursday, we would have printed the orders and began sorting them based on location. This would have been completed on Monday morning, most likely.

2) On Monday, we would have started assigning numbers and manually printing labels. We could print up to 50 labels per day if all went well. It could be as few as 25 since we have to do it all manually.

3) On Tuesday, we would have started shipping. We could ship 25 to 50 packages a day if we're manually printing the labels.

*** So, under the West Coast First plan:

1) East coast customers would probably start getting their books on Friday... instead of Tuesday. (three days later than currently)

2) West coast customers would start getting their books next Wednesday... instead of next Monday. (two days later than currently)

3) East coast customers would still get their books four to five days before the west coast customers due to the different transit times.

4) We could only ship 1/3 to 1/2 as many orders per day, so it would take until the middle of next week to finish... instead of finishing this week.

So, under the West Coast First plan, it would be a ton of time and labor just so the west coast people could get their books *later* than they currently will... Sorry, that just doesn't make any sense to us! :)

I hope this helps explain why we ship the way we do. We've definitely looked at other options, but they just aren't viable at this time. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Jimimck
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
My vote is for international orders to go first :idea:

(joke)

Randall Flagg
03-01-2011, 04:01 PM
It was a "pretend" frustration. I don't plan on listing mine on Ebay, so receiving it 5-7 days later than the first recipient isn't a big deal. Anticipation sometimes fuels the passion. I see the process is complex.

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
It was a "pretend" frustration. I don't plan on listing mine on Ebay, so receiving it 5-7 days later than the first recipient isn't a big deal. Anticipation sometimes fuels the passion. I see the process is complex.

ha, I know. But it's been asked several times over the years, so I thought it was a good time to try to explain why we really can't do it that way! :)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2011, 04:46 PM

(joke)

We're actually working on a few things with our website person for the second half of this year, and if one of our plans actually works out the way we hope, we could greatly cut down on the processing time for Non-US orders... which would mean they'd ship sooner. I'll let you know what happens, but this would be several months away at the earliest -- if it works! :)

Brian

Jimimck
03-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks Brian. To make me look like a complaining idiot, I just received my shipping email anyway!
Woo Hoo. Go CD!

The shame will be I don't feel comfortable displaying it on a shelf while the city is still shaking anyway lol...

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks Brian. To make me look like a complaining idiot, I just received my shipping email anyway!
Woo Hoo. Go CD!

HA! Yes, Kate told me she was able to start running the postage for some of the international shipments at the end of the day, so those will actually go out the door tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey, a general reminder: if anyone runs into any trouble with their shipment, or with the book when it arrives, or even if you just have any questions about your shipment or when your shipment is going out, please drop me a line via email and I'll help you out. Direct email is best because it helps me look up your order and track your issue, so I can make sure it gets resolved. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

nyy3723a
03-02-2011, 05:00 AM
I got my shipping notice yesterday...UPS tells me I'll have my copy by the end of today!

Can't wait, this will be my first Lonely Roads title!

Brian James Freeman
03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
I got my shipping notice yesterday...UPS tells me I'll have my copy by the end of today!

Can't wait, this will be my first Lonely Roads title!

I hope you like it!

Brian

daveblog
03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
#299 arrived in New Jersey yesterday. It came out really nice and like the way the cards are contained in the traycase.

Cloysterpete
03-03-2011, 10:37 AM

(joke)

It shouldn't be a joke though.

Ours are in transit far longer so we should have ours shipped first, then the delay between when we receive ours compared to the US folk wouldn't be as bad. Instead we get pushed to the back of the queue every time which rankles when with the international postage we've paid far more to get the book than the people who receive it first have for their copy.

-edit-
Just read your post Bri, good to hear your looking at ways to speed our books up for int folk, do you have any plans to upgrade the whole shopping cart/checkout on the site?, it's the most unwieldy, frustrating experience I have ever had. So much so that if the total cost of the book is a bit more say on bay than buying from CD, I would still buy from ebay so I could avoid navigating your checkout lol.

Yeah....before you say it I know I'm in a moaning mood tonight ;)

Brian James Freeman
03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
It shouldn't be a joke though.

Ours are in transit far longer so we should have ours shipped first, then the delay between when we receive ours compared to the US folk wouldn't be as bad. Instead we get pushed to the back of the queue every time which rankles when with the international postage we've paid far more to get the book than the people who receive it first have for their copy.

Ultimately, everyone wants their book to be the first shipped and not everyone's can be for a variety of factors. :)

We understand that our international customers have paid more for shipping, but obviously it's not because we want to charge you more. The postage rates for shipping internationally are just really high.

-edit-
Just read your post Bri, good to hear your looking at ways to speed our books up for int folk, do you have any plans to upgrade the whole shopping cart/checkout on the site?, it's the most unwieldy, frustrating experience I have ever had. So much so that if the total cost of the book is a bit more say on bay than buying from CD, I would still buy from ebay so I could avoid navigating your checkout lol.

Yeah....before you say it I know I'm in a moaning mood tonight ;)

Feel free to email me with any critiques of the website or checkout, and I'll keep it all in mind during the revamp work. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

tippy4
03-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I know this is a long shot, but if anyone receives #274, will you let me know?

frik
03-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Both my numbered and lettered editions are on their way.
Will take a couple of weeks yet, but I'll have a look once they're here.

sk

Merlin1958
03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Here's a cool auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/stephen-kings-blockade-billy-13-350-/250785122040?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3a63f546f8

Jimimck
03-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Nice low number, but maybe a bit high in the price?

tippy4
03-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I just don't get the low # thing.

I could care less if mine was #7 or #70 or #700.

The only time the # matters to me is if I am trying to match it up to existing #s in my collection.

On a related topic, the UPS guy just brought me mine about 30 minutes ago....I will open it shortly!

Jimimck
03-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Just to clarify, I don't care about low numbers either from a collecting point of view (being this will be my only S/L, how could I), but was really just making a passing comment re the auction.

Brian James Freeman
03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Someone just emailed me a link to this auction, which has 7 bids and is up to $685.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Billy-Blockade-Signed-Limited-102-350-/120693507542?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item1c19e4c5d6#ht_500wt_1156

And another one that is at $600:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-BLOCKADE-BILLY-Signed-Limited-186-350-/290541877273?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item43a5a53819#ht_500wt_1156

Brian

jhanic
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Interesting that the current high bidder on each seems to be the same person. I guess he/she really wants a copy!

John

willie3
03-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Someone just emailed me a link to this auction, which has 7 bids and is up to $685.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Billy-Blockade-Signed-Limited-102-350-/120693507542?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item1c19e4c5d6#ht_500wt_1156

Brian

That really sucks. :cry:

102 is my limitation number for Lonely Road Books.
I missed the pre-order window, on the road working.
I was able to purchase Mindy's PC copy (Thanks Miss Mindy!),
But still would have liked to had "my" number.

Karl

frik
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
I finally received my numbered and lettered editons.
Grrrrrrrrrrreat stuff - especially the lettered edition.
I posted some pictures in my collection thread.

sk

Randall Flagg
01-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Private Auction For Blockade Billy by Stephen King (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/private-auction/)

Randall Flagg
04-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Per Brian Freeman-
"Many collectors already know that Stephen King autographed his first-ever baseball cards as his way of signing these special editions, which I thought was very cool, but what no one outside a small group knew until now is that there were actually two different baseball cards created for King. Here’s how this unique and unusual collectible item came to be:

After running the baseball card idea by King, who loved it, we hired a local shop to custom-make a uniform and baseball cap for the fictional New Jersey Titans. These items were shipped down to King in Florida and we waited to see what happened. A few weeks later, the results of a photo shoot arrived.
We narrowed the photos down to one image and Kate Freeman Design (http://www.katefreeman.com/) went to work, creating two versions of the card. The first version used the original photo of King exactly as it was taken. The second version used the same photo of King, only he was photoshopped into a stock photo of Wrigley field. (We didn’t want to use a photo of Fenway because that seemed a little clichéd given King’s well-known affinity for the team, but we did want something that evoked an earlier era of baseball.)
Here are the two versions of the card before Kate finished aging them a bit":

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/blockadebilly/stephenkingbaseballcard2.jpg
http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/blockadebilly/stephenkingbaseballcard.jpg

http://brianjamesfreeman.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/stephen-kings-baseball-cards/#more-1719

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I have both versions.

While we are on this subject, I think this story is the worst thing King has ever done. I'm from the UK and think baseball is the girliest sport ever!

sgc1999
04-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Seriously? what about cricket? a sport where the men stop for tea... HMMM. not very manly either im afraid:)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Seriously? what about cricket? a sport where the men stop for tea... HMMM. not very manly either im afraid:)

Yeah your'e 100% right. As a Scotsman, cricket is the girliest sport ever.

Merlin1958
04-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I have both versions.

While we are on this subject, I think this story is the worst thing King has ever done. I'm from the UK and think baseball is the girliest sport ever!

Of course you do!!!! Now "sit the frig down, William Wallace" !!!!! LOL LOL LOL J/K

frik
04-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm ashamed to admit, I haven't read it yet. Today I will.

sk

Tito_Villa
04-09-2012, 01:14 AM
I happen to like cricket, the thing i don't understand is why in American football you have to wear all that protection, be a real man and play rugby :)

Cloysterpete
04-09-2012, 01:33 AM
I happen to like cricket, the thing i don't understand is why in American football you have to wear all that protection, be a real man and play rugby :)

I know!, it's unbelievable to any Brit looking at those American Footy players all padded up like that.

I mean the injury rates for rugby and NFL are similar to each other so either all that bulk isnt doing any good at all in protecting the players or the NFL players are all just super wusses who get injured by tripping over a blade of grass.

Can you imagine a NFL star having to take part in a rugby scrum without all his Iron Man power armour kit, he'd be scared shitless.

Cloysterpete
04-09-2012, 01:38 AM

Lol.

It's just such a long game, the poor chaps need to have a rest halfway through. I remember when I used to listen to Sportnews when I was a kid and they would say the match at Edgebaston has just been halted due to bad light. When I was young I had no clue what they meant by 'bad light', I didn't realise that half the grounds were built in the stone age without any floodlights to play under.

But I think Rounders is the girliest sport ever ain't it?, because it ummm made for girls I think lol.

I didnt mind BB as that was only a novella that could have only taken King a weekend to write but I was gutted when King came out with that Faithful book, I was all HEY A NEW KING BOOK WOOHOO!, talk about deflated when I realised it was about one of the most boring subjects he could possible chose to write about. Man, I wish Red Sox hadn't won that year, the time he spent writing that thing he could have spent on writing a real novel!.

Brice
04-09-2012, 04:55 AM

I know!, it's unbelievable to any Brit looking at those American Footy players all padded up like that.

I mean the injury rates for rugby and NFL are similar to each other so either all that bulk isnt doing any good at all in protecting the players or the NFL players are all just super wusses who get injured by tripping over a blade of grass.

Can you imagine a NFL star having to take part in a rugby scrum without all his Iron Man power armour kit, he'd be scared shitless.

Actually I'm an american and it's always seemed kinda' silly to me too.

DanHocker
04-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I just can't stand football. Now Hockey, that's a real sport. You even get to throw your gloves off and beat the crap out of another guy if he pisses you off.... lol.

Cloysterpete
04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Maybe there worried a player will sue the team if he gets injured and they didn't provide him with adequate protection. Here we have all these horrendous health and safety rules now, a few months back this guy drown in a lake in a park as he'd had a fit or something when he was feeding the ducks and the Firemen weren't allowed to wade into this three feet of water because they didn't have the special safety equipment with them. I mean come on!, I'd be ashamed to be a Firemen if I had stood there and done jack shit to help.

Our kids aren't even allowed to play conkers at school anymore, getting rapped on the fingers with a conker helps toughen you up man!. God only knows how this generation of pansies our schools are trying to create are gonna cope in the real world.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I just can't stand football. Now Hockey, that's a real sport. You even get to throw your gloves off and beat the crap out of another guy if he pisses you off.... lol.

That's how all sports should be :)

Brice
04-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Hell yeah! Full contact golf and tennis. :thumbsup:

Merlin1958
04-09-2012, 08:02 PM

Just like Tiger's wife "defending the hole" with a nine-iron!!!!! "Tiger approaches the green with his pitching wedge and Ms. Woods goes to the bag for a Driver"!!!!!!!

:biggrin:

beam*seeker
04-10-2012, 03:58 PM

I like it when I watch a great fight and then a hockey game breaks out. Hockey is the reason I know blood bounces on ice.

Brice
04-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Just like Tiger's wife "defending the hole" with a nine-iron!!!!! "Tiger approaches the green with his pitching wedge and Ms. Woods goes to the bag for a Driver"!!!!!!!

:lol:

I guesss it's the caddy's job to block.

Brice
04-10-2012, 04:35 PM

I would watch a lot more sports if it were like that. :lol:

I guess it's the caddy's job to tackle.

Merlin1958
04-10-2012, 05:12 PM

I would watch a lot more sports if it were like that. :lol:

I guess it's the caddy's job to tackle.

Oh, absolutely!!! LOL LOL LOL

Randall Flagg
04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Please get back on topic.

Merlin1958
04-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Please get back on topic.

Yes sir, El Jefe!!!!

Blockade Billy really bit the big one!!!