PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Bones miniseries - December 11-12

Pages : [1] 2

mae
03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=5423

Masters of Horror creator, and seasoned director of Stephen King adaptations, Mick Garris (Riding the Bullet, The Stand) is about to embark on a big screen version of King's '98 novel Bag of Bones.

In speaking to Fangoria Radio recently, Garris tells magazine editor Tony Timpone that it appears pal Joe Dante will helm Thirst - a remake of the Aussie vamp flick [...] Garris originally set out to direct that picture. "Bones," however, has been on Garris' to-do pile for some time and will take priority.

Garris is attached as producer on Tobe Hooper's From a Buick 8.

Mattrick
03-30-2008, 09:54 PM
All the good king stories will be done by the time I'm in hollywood :(

ZoNeSeeK
03-30-2008, 10:48 PM
I dont know how well Bag of Bones will translate .. :/

Wuducynn
03-31-2008, 07:09 AM
The horror...the...horror...

Daghain
03-31-2008, 08:58 AM
It will be interesting to see how it's done, for sure.

Wuducynn
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I guess a King book can't NOT be made into a movie...there must be a law out there I'm not aware of.

mia/susannah
03-31-2008, 09:09 AM
I would like to see how bag of Bones turns out. Also if they are trying to make a movie out of From A buick 8, I really enjoyed both books so I hope the movies turn out good as well

jhanic
03-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Maybe I'm just too sceptical, but I'll believe it's a movie when it shows up at theaters. I've been disappointed by these pre-announcements too many times.

John

Bev Vincent
03-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes, until I hear of a cast and production beginning, any number of things can go wrong to stop the movie. Remember how geared up we were this time last year about a 2008 miniseries of The Talisman?

mae
03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Well, to be honest I loved the book but I don't see how it'll make for a very good film.

mia/susannah
03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I agree. I am not getting any hopes up until I see the movies in theater or on DVD

Mattrick
03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I remember Bag of Bones was slated to be out this year two years ago.

Heather19
03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm really hoping this gets pushed back. Bag of Bones is one of my favorite stories and while I'd love to see it as a movie, I'm just not sure they could do it justice. Especially with Mick Garris behind it. I haven't cared for many of his King adaptations.

ZoNeSeeK
03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
I know what you mean. His version of Desperation wanted to make me eat my own eyes out.

DanishCollector
04-01-2008, 07:29 AM
I think Garris nailed it with The Stand and The Shining. I also liked the camp style of Sleepwalkers, his first King adaptation.

However, the others have left something to be desired. I feel they all have certain things I liked, but as a whole...nah. Desperation was disappointing and it really suffered being a TV thing, and some of the cast was wrong.
"Chattery Teeth" (Quicksilver Highway) was almost too loyal to King's story and didn't have any surprises, let alone any suspense.
And Riding the Bullet was too weird a movie to really enjoy (even though I think Garris did manage to make a movie you don't easily forget...because it's so weird).

But he's not the only one. Craig Baxley nailed it with Storm of the Century. That's the best King miniseries ever. But Rose Red and Kingdom Hospital?
Hmmm. Should have been much, much better. Rose Red should have been shorter, and Hospital should have spend lesser time with all the Twin Peaks-weirdness and getting to the point. The Finale of that show was messy.

But they can't all be Frank Darabont and Rob Reiner.

Aaron
04-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I was excited until I saw the name Mick Garris. :(

mae
11-18-2008, 06:34 AM
There were rumors about Bag of Bones being turned into a movie a while back (so long ago that I can't find that thread again), but here's what was posted by Ms. Mod a few days ago over at the official forum in a thread entitled "Would Bag of Bones make a great movie?":

There may be an announcement soon about this project. :)

John_and_Yoko
11-18-2008, 12:20 PM
There were rumors about Bag of Bones being turned into a movie a while back (so long ago that I can't find that thread again), but here's what was posted by Ms. Mod a few days ago over at the official forum in a thread entitled "Would Bag of Bones make a great movie?":

There may be an announcement soon about this project. :)

I heard Mick Garris was going to direct it, which doesn't really thrill me....

Then again, I didn't like the book as much as I was expecting to anyway....

mae
02-08-2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=14000

Mick Garris is back in Stephen King territory. The writer-director of The Shining, The Stand and Desperation - all telefilms - has provided Shock with an update on his long-mooted adaptation of King's 1998 novel "Bag of Bones."

Developed for some time by Garris, with screenwriter Matt Venne, "Bag of Bones" is now no longer set to hit the big screen. Instead, it's being turned into a television mini-series.

"We're finalizing our deal," says Garris, "and will hopefully be shooting late-spring, early-summer."

Where "Bag of Bones" will reside on the small screen is to be announced shortly. Venne, who worked for Garris on Masters of Horror and penned Dario Argento's entry, Pelts, has been in the process of adapting his Bones feature script into a mini-series format.

The story tells of Mike Noonan, a novelist grieving over the death of his wife who settles into their summer home, and becomes embroiled in some nasty drama with a nasty local millionaire and falls privy to a series of hauntings

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/stephen-kings-%E2%80%98bag-bones%E2%80%99-picked-tv-02-07-2010

Mick Garris, director of King's TV adaptations for The Shining, The Stand and Desperation, will be heading the new adaption project for the 1998 novel, Bag of Bones.

With the help of screenwriter Matt Venne, Garris has been working to adapt the story to TV. Originally, the script was written for a full-length feature film, but now they have to change it again for the television miniseries.

"We're finalizing our deal," Garris told Shock Till You Drop. "And will hopefully be shooting late-spring, early-summer."

The cast has yet to be picked, as well as the channel the miniseries is to appear on, but those details, according to Shock, will be released soon.

The story itself is a complex drama from the point of view of a writer in Maine dealing with the death of his wife. He has nightmares, sees apparitions and ghosts in the house they used to share, so he moves to a remote township in Maine.The haunting continues. He assists a young child and her mother in a custody battle which ends up with a great deal of people dead. He realizes his wife's death and the township's local hauntings are connected and the story unravels into a slew of suspenseful horror we all know and love from King.

herbertwest
02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
I was gonne post it LOL

Hannah
02-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I guess I will wait to see it. I thought Desperation and The Stand sucked but the Shining turned out okay. Maybe this will too. :D

jhanic
02-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm always worried when I hear of ANY King book being translated to another medium. I just hope they don't screw it up too badly!

John

Heather19
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Oh no, I've been dreading this. Why oh why did he have to be the one to get the rights to shoot Bag of Bones. I really hope this one turns out better than his other adaptations.

Brice
02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I've liked most of Garris' stuff. I can't say there aren't things I didn't like or didn't think could be better, but I found them enjoyable. Desperation I have not yet watched though.

nocny
02-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I love 'Shining' and 'The Stand' very very much, and I like 'Riding The Bullet' and 'Desperation' so I'm pleased he will be doing next King's novel.

herbertwest
05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
From lilja :

Dread Central caught up with Mick Garris when he attended the "Never Sleep Again" signing event held this weekend at Dark Delicacies in Burbank.

Garris told them he'll be directing a four-hour miniseries adaptation of Stephen King's Bag of Bones which fans will be able to check out on network television sometime in 2011.

"Bag of Bones is something we tried to do as a feature for two or three years," Garris told them. "But the way features are now, if it's not about teenagers or a sequel or a remake, forget it. We wanted to do something much more adult and passionate than studios are making now. It's a ghost story for grown-ups. Television is the only place you can do that."

Production on Bag of Bones is set to begin in June in Alaska. Garris also added that they will hopefully be casting their lead this week so stay tuned.

Includes a video...

(I dont like that Lilja doesnt have a newsletter anymore... :-( there are so many ways to create one from the RSS feeds... )

Merlin1958
05-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I saw that too. Should be great and something to look forward to. IMO Garris is a great choice for the Miniseries.

A bit off topic, but with all the DT movie news, wouldn't it be great if Hollywood just optioned the Marvel property instead of the books. Sort of a no harm, no foul. Plus it might end up being a precursor to a serious attempt at a Hollywood adaption of the books as a 7 flick franchise.

mae
05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/44744/stephen-kings-bag-bones-begins-filming-july

Another adaptation of a Stephen King tale is gearing up to go in front of cameras with Mick Garris at the helm, and we've got the first few details ready to rock for you right here. Dig it!

According to Sea and Be Scene, a mini-series based on Stephen King’s award-winning novel Bag of Bones will begin shooting in Nova Scotia July 6th, 2011, continuing through to August 31st, 2011.

The 'haunted vacation house' novel will be directed by Mick Garris, the writer/director on three previous Stephen King TV films including The Shining, The Stand and Desperation. Pre-poduction started today in the province.

frik
05-30-2011, 10:43 PM
I do not care for the King/Garris combination whatsoever.
The book is one of my favorite King novels, and I dread to think of what Garris will do with it.

sk

nocny
05-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Just the opposite here :) I like Garris A LOT and I'm waiting for his new mini-series based on King. Hope it will be as good as Shining which I love.

Bev Vincent
05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Mick really wasn't ready for this news to get out when I last talked to him, but I guess there's no unringing the bell now! Wish I could get up to NS -- my favorite part of the world.

DanishCollector
06-01-2011, 06:07 AM
I like Garris too and I accidentally stumbled upon an old show on YouTube, where Garris was the host, interviewing several prominent horror/suspense directors. Garris was the ideal host, showing a true passion not just about film making but of the horror genre as well. He would be great to sit and talk to and I can clearly see why people - King being one of them - enjoy working with him. He might not be the best director in the world but I do enjoy his King adaptations, The Shining being a fave.

Bev Vincent
06-01-2011, 06:36 AM
I got the chance to interview him live in front of an audience at World Horror a few years ago -- he's a great guy.

Patrick
06-07-2011, 01:04 PM
I got the chance to interview him live in front of an audience at World Horror a few years ago -- he's a great guy.
If that interview is available on the internet, please share the link, Bev. I'd be interested in reading it - or ideally, watching it.

Bev Vincent
06-07-2011, 01:15 PM
It wasn't recorded. It was a live one on one in front of conference attendees.

rhassx7
06-18-2011, 07:17 AM
This is the most popular show. I like the plot of this crime television series. Its all episodes are too good to watch online.

Watch The OC TV Show Online (http://the-oc.download-episodes.tv/)
Watch The L Word Episodes Online (http://the-l-word.sequd.com/)

mae
07-22-2011, 06:39 PM
It'll be shown on A&E: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/pierce_brosnan_mini_star_series_9hgFcxzBtORMp44caL WAGK

Pierce Brosnan will star in the A&E adaptation of Stephen King's novel "Bag of Bones," the cable channel said Friday.

Brosnan, 58, will play the role of Mike Noonan, a novelist mourning the death of his wife. In King's horror story, her spirit returns to help Noonan uncover dark secrets hidden in the quiet Maine community where the couple owned a summer home.

Actress Annabeth Gish, known for playing Special Agent Monica Reyes on "The X-Files" TV show, will also star in the series, which premieres in late 2011.

Director Mick Garris, who has worked on several King projects including "The Shining," "Riding the Bullet" and "Sleepwalkers," will direct the TV movie that will be filmed in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Jon
07-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Excellent...now when?

jhanic
07-23-2011, 06:42 AM
I just hope they don't screw it up like they do so many of King's other works. Bag of Bones is one of my favorites, and I kind of dread seeing a mediocre rendition. Casting is so important.

John

Ari_Racing
07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
I've just received confirmation from Mick himself that shooting starts in a couple of weeks. :)

mae
07-23-2011, 09:33 AM
It will be a four-hour miniseries, shown in two parts: http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/ae-greenlights-stephen-kings-bag-of-bones-miniseries-starring-pierce-brosnan/

A&E Network has greenlighted for production Stephen King’s Bag of Bones, a two-night, four-hour mini-series starring Pierce Brosnan. Annabeth Gish will co-star in the project, based on Stephen King's bestselling novel. Kelly Rowland also is expected to join the cast of the mini, from Sony Pictures Television, which will premiere on A&E in the fourth quarter of 2011. Mick Garris will direct from a script by Matt Venne. Filming is scheduled to begin next month in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Bag of Bones centers on bestselling novelist Mike Noonan (Brosnan), who is unable to stop grieving after the sudden death of his wife Jo (Gish). A dream inspires him to return to the couple's lakeside retreat in western Maine where he becomes involved in a custody battle between the daughter of an attractive young widow and the child's enormously wealthy grandfather, the mysterious ghostly visitations, the ever-escalating nightmares and the realization that his late wife still has something to tell him.

Bag of Bones is executive produced by Mark Sennett for Mark Sennet Entertainment, Mick Garris for Nice Guy Prods., Stewart Mackinnon for Headline Pictures and Craig Sheftell. Brian Gary and David Davoli are the co-executive producers. Garris, Sennett and Venne had been working on a Bag of Bones adaptation for several years, originally as a feature and then as a mini.

This is the second high-profile miniseries fronted by a movie star to be greenlighted at a A&E Network over the past couple of months. A&E's sibling History in May picked up The Hatfields and McCoys, starring Oscar winner Kevin Costner. CAA-repped Brosnan is already in business with Sony Pictures TV on an international private investigator series project from veteran ER writer-producer Jack Orman. Gish is with Innovative and Thruline.

Merlin1958
07-23-2011, 05:15 PM
A&E seems to have a healthy respect for the source material. I, for one, am optimistic!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jhanic
07-23-2011, 05:31 PM
I guess I'm mostly concerned with the casting of Mattie and Kyra. Those HAVE to be spot on.

John

Merlin1958
07-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I guess I'm mostly concerned with the casting of Mattie and Kia. Those HAVE to be spot on.

John

Yeah, I hear ya, but they have done well with "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead", so there is reason for optimism!!!

mae
07-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I guess I'm mostly concerned with the casting of Mattie and Kia. Those HAVE to be spot on.

John

Yeah, I hear ya, but they have done well with "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead", so there is reason for optimism!!!

Those are on AMC. This will be on A&E. Different network, and I don't think they actually have any original series. Could be wrong.

jhanic
07-24-2011, 10:16 AM
A&E does have a number of original series--The Glades, for example, and a number of reality shows. I don't know how they'll do on a miniseries.

John

Merlin1958
07-24-2011, 04:10 PM

John

Those are on AMC. This will be on A&E. Different network, and I don't think they actually have any original series. Could be wrong.

Oops!!! My bad!! Sorry

Merlin1958
07-24-2011, 04:15 PM
A&E does have a number of original series--The Glades, for example, and a number of reality shows. I don't know how they'll do on a miniseries.

John

You're right, John. They also do "Breakout Kings", but it looks like the rest are all "Reality" shows like Gene Simmons: Family Jewels and Storage Wars. Think they may have got off on a good foot with Garris though, no?

I really enjoyed BOB and would love to see it done well.

RichardHawes
07-25-2011, 04:41 AM
It will be a four-hour miniseries, shown in two parts: http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/ae-greenlights-stephen-kings-bag-of-bones-miniseries-starring-pierce-brosnan/

A&E Network has greenlighted for production Stephen King’s Bag of Bones, a two-night, four-hour mini-series starring Pierce Brosnan. Annabeth Gish will co-star in the project, based on Stephen King's bestselling novel. Kelly Rowland also is expected to join the cast of the mini, from Sony Pictures Television, which will premiere on A&E in the fourth quarter of 2011. Mick Garris will direct from a script by Matt Venne. Filming is scheduled to begin next month in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Bag of Bones centers on bestselling novelist Mike Noonan (Brosnan), who is unable to stop grieving after the sudden death of his wife Jo (Gish). A dream inspires him to return to the couple's lakeside retreat in western Maine where he becomes involved in a custody battle between the daughter of an attractive young widow and the child's enormously wealthy grandfather, the mysterious ghostly visitations, the ever-escalating nightmares and the realization that his late wife still has something to tell him.

Bag of Bones is executive produced by Mark Sennett for Mark Sennet Entertainment, Mick Garris for Nice Guy Prods., Stewart Mackinnon for Headline Pictures and Craig Sheftell. Brian Gary and David Davoli are the co-executive producers. Garris, Sennett and Venne had been working on a Bag of Bones adaptation for several years, originally as a feature and then as a mini.

This is the second high-profile miniseries fronted by a movie star to be greenlighted at a A&E Network over the past couple of months. A&E's sibling History in May picked up The Hatfields and McCoys, starring Oscar winner Kevin Costner. CAA-repped Brosnan is already in business with Sony Pictures TV on an international private investigator series project from veteran ER writer-producer Jack Orman. Gish is with Innovative and Thruline.

I absolutely love Bag of Bones and am extremely disappointed with the casting of this movie. I cant stand Brosnan and thought he was horrible as Bond and Kelly Rowland was god awful in Freddy vs Jason. Garris loves him some King stories but his execution always falls flat. Either way I love the story so I know i'll watch it as soon as it airs.

Bev Vincent
07-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Australian actress Melissa George, whose credits include Grey's Anatomy and Lie to Me, will star opposite Pierce Brosnan in A&E's four-hour mini-series Stephen King's Bag of Bones.

George will play Mattie, the mother of a young child embroiled in a custody battle. Brosnan's widowed character, a novelist, winds up helping Mattie as she fights her father-in-law to keep her child. Anabeth Gish also stars in the miniseries, which is set to shoot in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Bag of Bones is based on a 1998 King novel, which has been adapted by Matt Venne for the mini-series. Mick Garris is directing.

George's other credits include In Treatment, Alias, Thieves and Roar. Bag of Bones will premiere on A&E in late 2011.

jhanic
07-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I just Googled Melissa George. I just hope she can bring in the "innocent sensuality" that I envision for Mattie. She's certainly attractive enough.

John

Merlin1958
07-26-2011, 05:28 PM
BTW, I personally thought Pierce Brosnan was GREAT as "Bond". IDK what you all say!!!!

:)

Jean
07-26-2011, 11:44 PM
everywhere I saw him, he was either good or great...

beam*seeker
08-01-2011, 05:51 AM
I do not care for the King/Garris combination whatsoever.
The book is one of my favorite King novels, and I dread to think of what Garris will do with it.

sk

what else has Garris done so I know if its going to be significant deviation from the King Vision? Is this your concern?

Bev Vincent
08-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Sleepwalkers, The Stand, The Shining, Riding the Bullet, Chattery Teeth (as part of Quicksilver Highway)

mae
08-01-2011, 06:15 AM
No offense, but... He's just not a very good filmmaker. I really liked Sleepwalkers, but apart from that I think his other King work has been very lacking. It's missing something, I'm not even sure what, but it is. I really hope this miniseries will be good because I loved the novel.

Ari_Racing
08-01-2011, 07:26 AM
I enjoyed Chattery Teeth a lot. And also, I think he's someone who really knows the genre. I have a lot of respect for him, even when I didn't like The Shining and The Stand (but I also think that King has fault on this ones as well).

DanishCollector
08-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I loved The Shining miniseries, it still manages to creep me out...it's my favorite so far of the King adaptations that Garris has done.

Merlin1958
08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I loved The Shining miniseries, it still manages to creep me out...it's my favorite so far of the King adaptations that Garris has done.

Yeah, I liked it so much I bought the DVD!!! Much better casting and script!!! The Kubrick adaption just pisses me off!!!

And not to defend him, but most of his King adaptions were "made for TV" movies, which are speculative at best, IMHO

mae
08-04-2011, 07:44 AM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/46167/anika-noni-rose-jumps-stephen-kings-bag-bones

Another actress has been thrown into the macabre mix that will be A&E's four-hour adaptation of the Stephen King novel "Bag of Bones" from director Mick Garris. Read on for the details!

According to Variety Anika Noni Rose has been cast in the upcoming miniseries alongside the previously announced Melissa George, Pierce Brosnan and Annabeth Gish. Rose will play Sara Tidwell, a blues singer who haunts the film's main character.

"Bag of Bones" centers on bestselling novelist Mike Noonan (Brosnan), who is unable to stop grieving after the sudden death of his wife, Jo (Gish).

A dream inspires him to return to the couple's lakeside retreat in western Maine, where he becomes involved in a custody battle between the daughter of an attractive young widow (George) and the child's enormously wealthy grandfather while dealing with mysterious ghostly visitations, ever-escalating nightmares, and the realization that his late wife still has something to tell him. Garris is directing from a script by Matt Venne.

More as it comes!

jhanic
08-04-2011, 09:12 AM
She looks like she'll be a good Sarah.

John

mae
08-25-2011, 08:18 AM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/46708/more-bag-bones-casting-news-amid-rumors-stephen-king-cameo

Two young actresses have joined the cast of A&E's four-hour adaptation of the Stephen King novel "Bag of Bones" from director Mick Garris: Caitlin Carmichael, who has credits in both "True Blood" and "Dexter", is playing Kyra Devore while local Canadian thespian Fiona Forsythe has signed on for an as yet unnamed character.

But the real news according to Sea and be Scene is that talk of a Stephen King cameo in the project comes from one of the "higher ups" on the production – with the word being King would be playing a clergyman.

"Bag of Bones", starring Melissa George, Pierce Brosnan, Annabeth Gish, and Anika Noni Rose, continues to shoot in Nova Scotia with a wrap set for September 28th. It centers on bestselling novelist Mike Noonan (Brosnan), who is unable to stop grieving after the sudden death of his wife, Jo (Gish).

A dream inspires him to return to the couple's lakeside retreat in western Maine, where he becomes involved in a custody battle between the daughter of an attractive young widow (George) and the child's enormously wealthy grandfather while dealing with mysterious ghostly visitations, ever-escalating nightmares, and the realization that his late wife still has something to tell him. Garris is directing from a script by Matt Venne.

More as it comes!

jhanic
08-25-2011, 08:40 AM
I just googled Caitlin Carmichael. She looks like she might do a decent job as Kyra, though she seems a couple years too old. I've been concerned about the casting.

John

Bev Vincent
08-25-2011, 08:57 AM
The whole age scale seems to have been bumped up. It would be hard to find a very young child to carry an important role like that. It's easy to write with a character that small, but expecting a performance out of the real thing is another matter. That's one reason, I suspect, why Danny was bumped up from 5 to 7 in The Shining miniseries.

jhanic
08-25-2011, 09:20 AM
I understand and agree. I'd be VERY surprised to see a three-four-year-old who would be able to carry the load.

John

mae
08-25-2011, 03:35 PM
http://globalgrind.com/entertainment/melissa-george-new-movie-bag-of-bones-stephen-king-film-photos#.TlO3bqXQoN4.twitter

GlobalGrind caught up with Australian actress Melissa George to talk about her upcoming film Bag of Bones, based off of Stephen King’s well-known novel.

The film stars actor Pierce Brosnan as Mike Noonan, an author who is going through a major writer’s block after the death of his wife, Jo.

Melissa plays Mattie, a town outcast that Pierce helps claim custody of her daughter after the child's grandfather tries to shun her from society.

Melissa is not only stunningly gorgeous, but she has also entertained us over in the years in such films and TV shows as: 30 Days Of Night, Alias, Grey's Anatomy, In Treatment and many, many others.

Check out our exclusive interview with Melissa to find out more below!

GG: We know you are in the process of filming Bags Of Bones, how is it going?

Melissa George: It is going really well. Meeting Pierce was great, he’s lovely to work with. Got a good attitude, and the costumes are great, the director’s great, the shoot is beautiful. I haven’t done the heavy work really, I’ve done two major scenes yesterday, but I’ve got the bulk of the work next week.

What is your preparation for a role like this?

Really it’s about reading the script. And then getting the director’s take on it and reading the book and the idea is that I’m the lead female in the book and I fall in love with Pierce's character. There’s going to be a great age difference … an age gap. She’s very bouncy and happy. She comes across Pierce's character and starts to represent the wife that he lost and she helps put the pieces together so he can discover what really happened to his dead wife. She’s almost like the woman who changes his life.

It’s just great. Look at the setting … it’s a log cabin in the middle of Nova Scotia on the river and my dress is sort of very 50’s. It’s a very happy role, very bouncy, very cheery. I tend to go for a more dramatic role, but it was a good one! So fun! So good!

When you start a new project, what are your biggest fears and what are your greatest hopes?

It’s going to be the largest thing I have ever had movie-wise. I think because it is a four hour tele-movie you’re going to get more and the fact that Pierce took it on, it says a lot about the quality of the job. Also, the director … I worked with him 10 years ago and the fact that he just hired me without even reading was such an honor and when I got on set, the camera crew was just so good between Pierce and I, that the studio is just very happy. It's so great to be opposite a leading man, with such an amazing career and as a female, you know that for sure you always want to be put alongside the best possible leading man. You want them to [be] better than you in many ways, or their stature to be bigger and I think it makes me want to be a better actress. It makes me stretch myself a little bit. I just hope it comes out great, I think it will! The script is dynamite!

Who did you grow up loving as actors, or directors, or movies?

I’m really into cinema. I love anything like Belle de Jour, Catherine de Neuve, and Fellini films, I like Hitchcock movies. I love Almodovar films. One of my all time favorite movies is a Chinese movie called “In The Mood For Love,"...anything that tells a story in such a subtle way. I also like watching films, like for example the movie that made me want to be an actress was “Last Exit to Brooklyn” and when I watched that movie I said to my mother that’s so heavy, what it that? Is it a documentary? My mother said no, that’s the role of an actress … to portray a character in a way that makes the audience believe it’s really real. And I said and they pay you for that? She said yes. I didn’t know that you could go to work and portray all these different people and come home and have another life. It’s an amazing job. I don’t know how to say it but when people watch your work you hope that they feel something, and that they learn something about maybe themselves. It’s all about therapy.

What’s the one thing that no one knows about you that we should know about you?

That I am a roller skating champion. I was second in the world for artistic roller skating around the world. Some people know that.

Are you still an artistic roller skater?

Yes! Great roller skater, I’ve got all these costumes, sequins, I was traveling around the world since I was five. The other thing that people might not know is that I’m the inventor of Style Snaps By Hemming My Way, which is the highest selling product on QVC, and it's at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Wal-Mart, K-Mart and we sell more than any other product at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

You invented it?

I invented it, yes.

That’s amazing!

So we have infomercials and they’re running on CNN, NBC, and CBS every single day. We’ve brought it down to 21 countries, and I’m the CEO of this company and I just come up with these products as I’m walking NY and the fact that we’re on TM style on PBC and we sell 4 times more per unit than any other product … it's lovely, there’s 5 rows of it by the cash register. I get such a kick out of it that that’s something I was responsible for!

Merlin1958
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Dude, I can give you no higher compliment than to say that I ALWAYS look for your posts in these King movie threads!!! Thanks for all the info!!

mae
08-26-2011, 04:24 AM
My pleasure. :redface1:

EvaH
08-30-2011, 10:39 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/30/jason-priestley-bag-of-bones/

Jason Priestly has been cast as Mike's literary agent.

Bev Vincent
08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
And William Schallert is Max Devore.

DanishCollector
08-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Jason Priestly? Hmm, funny choice. But oh well, I enjoy him in Haven so why not?

Bev Vincent
08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
He only had to stroll down the highway to get from the Haven set to the Bag of Bones set!

DanishCollector
08-30-2011, 12:25 PM
He's not the only Haven "resident" to appear in Bag of Bones. Gary Levert who appeared in the episode titled Spiral is going to play George Footman in Bag of Bones.

Merlin1958
08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Great stuff, guys!!! many thanks for the collective info!!

mae
08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
So a Bag of Bones miniseries end of 2011. And now an Under the Dome miniseries (maybe) end of 2012? Can we have an Insomnia miniseries in 2013? :)

Merlin1958
08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
So a Bag of Bones miniseries end of 2011. And now an Under the Dome miniseries (maybe) end of 2012? Can we have an Insomnia miniseries in 2013? :)

I'd watch that!!!

:clap:

jhanic
08-30-2011, 06:22 PM
I can't see them doing a miniseries of Insomnia at all without major modifications to King's story. I doubt, if they kept his storyline, that viewers would drop it quickly (no real action in the beginning at all.)

John

Merlin1958
08-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I can't see them doing a miniseries of Insomnia at all without major modifications to King's story. I doubt, if they kept his storyline, that viewers would drop it quickly (no real action in the beginning at all.)

John

True, but I am sure a skilled writer could work around that. Good point though!!!

mae
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a338982/melissa-george-teases-stephen-kings-bag-of-bones.html

Melissa George has revealed that she is enjoying the experience of filming new A&E mini-series Bag of Bones.

The A Lonely Place To Die star will appear alongside Pierce Brosnan in the Stephen King adaptation.

George told Digital Spy: "[Pierce] just treats me so well, and he's so funny and so gracious."

The actress confirmed that Stephen King had visited the set of Bag of Bones, which also stars Jason Priestley.

"Stephen King's been there [and] he's great," she said.

Merlin1958
09-07-2011, 03:38 PM
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a338982/melissa-george-teases-stephen-kings-bag-of-bones.html

Melissa George has revealed that she is enjoying the experience of filming new A&E mini-series Bag of Bones.

The A Lonely Place To Die star will appear alongside Pierce Brosnan in the Stephen King adaptation.

George told Digital Spy: "[Pierce] just treats me so well, and he's so funny and so gracious."

The actress confirmed that Stephen King had visited the set of Bag of Bones, which also stars Jason Priestley.

"Stephen King's been there [and] he's great," she said.

As usual, Great STUFF!!!!!!!

:clap:

Bev Vincent
10-13-2011, 05:58 AM
A&E has released a behind the scenes teaser video for Bag of Bones airing in December. The two-and-a-half-minute video features commentary from the cast and on-set footage that will surely pique your interest.

Check out the official Promo Page (http://www.stephenking.com/promo/bag_of_bones_tv/) for the links and more information.

jhanic
10-13-2011, 06:29 AM
The setting looks great! I can't wait.

John

Bev Vincent
10-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Me, neither -- this looks like a topnotch adaptation.

mae
10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Another trailer:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/exclusive-first-look-aes-stephen-kings-bag-of-bones-miniseries/

DanishCollector
10-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Oooh, I like this already. Yay:)

Merlin1958
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Yeah, those trailer look very promising!!!!

mtdman
10-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Why bag of bones? That book was terrible.

CRinVA
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Different Strokes for Different Folks!

I rate Bag of Bones in my top ten or so. I am listening to Stephen King read it right now and loving it. Really looking forward to the mini-series.

jhanic
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
It's one of my favorites.

John

Empath of the White
10-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Adapting Insomnia wouldn't be hard at all. To spice it up early on, they could add scenes showing the Centurions and such that Deepneau was seeing, then cut before he went to beat his wife. Imply its what he's going to do in a rather indirect way.

This will be a great treat once the semester is over. I'm looking forward to seeing this. Hopefully it'll get me to put aside the Elric/Drizzt books and pick up something outside of fantasy.

herbertwest
10-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Will the broadcast be on the 11/12th of december? I didnt read that information and it's the title of this thread

Bev Vincent
10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Broadcast dates were announced and then retracted.

herbertwest
10-21-2011, 11:50 AM
OK so it might not be those..

Ari_Racing
10-26-2011, 07:18 AM
According to King's official website, the two-night event from Sony Pictures Television premieres on Sunday, December 11 and concludes on Monday, December 12, airing at 9PM ET/PT on both nights. Be sure to check your local listings for the correct air time in your area.

Bev Vincent
10-27-2011, 09:50 AM
If anyone has a question you'd like me to ask Mick Garris, post it here -- I'll be talking with him later on this afternoon.

mae
10-27-2011, 10:15 AM
When's he doing Insomnia? How about a miniseries for Starz (since we have HBO for The Dark Tower, and Showtime for Under the Dome, that's the only other major premium cable network left) That would so rock... :panic:

mikeC
10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Please ask him if season 2 of Masters of Horror and Fear itself will come out on Blu-Ray.
And to please do another genre anthology show, those were both great great shows!
Thanks Bev!

DanishCollector
10-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Is he considering adapting any King stories into Masters of Horror or Fear Itself?

nocny
11-02-2011, 08:32 AM
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6979/darkrb.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/darkrb.jpg/)

New project on SK.com is coming soon
Dark Score Stories (http://www.darkscorestories.com/)

What this can be?

Bev Vincent
11-02-2011, 08:42 AM
http://darkscorestories.com/ -- probably a promo for Bag of Bones.

nocny
11-02-2011, 08:56 AM
but official promo sites already are made
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/bag_of_bones_tv/
http://www.aetv.com/bag-of-bones/

Bev Vincent
11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Check my link and look at the bottom.

nocny
11-02-2011, 09:03 AM
I know, I gave this link in my first post ;)
I also think it has to be connected in some way with mini-series but the third promo site? Strange.

EvaH
11-08-2011, 07:12 PM
It's got a fb page.
https://www.facebook.com/BagofBonesAETV?sk=photos

Bev Vincent
11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Here's Part 1 (http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b24606_playing_tag_with_death_part_1.html) of my 3-part interview with Mick Garris about Bag of Bones.

herbertwest
11-18-2011, 02:55 PM
thanks bev! will definitely read those!

Bev Vincent
11-19-2011, 09:56 AM
A few new photos from the miniseries (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/news-from-the-dead-zone-147/)

ICry4Oy
11-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Cool! Wouldn't mind raiding the prop department and getting some of those Noonan "books".

Lilja
11-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Head over to my site for a chance to win a copy of Dark Score Stories.

Lilja

CRinVA
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I really really really want one of these!

DanishCollector
11-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Has it been stated who's the author yet? It's clearly not King...not really his style.

Bev Vincent
11-23-2011, 01:06 PM
The intro to the book is by Garris. The text is probably by someone at the publicity agency that created the site and book. King has no direct involvement with the miniseries or the publicity surrounding it.

jhanic
11-23-2011, 01:17 PM
It says the foreword is by Mick Garris and the photographs are by Joachim Ladefoged, who seems to be based in Denmark. Interestingly, there is no copyright page.

One question I have is whether this Joachim Ladefoged is a real person. He has a website, Facebook page, etc. but I'm just not sure.

John

Bev Vincent
11-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Part 2 of my interview with Mick Garris (http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b24650_playing_tag_with_death_part_2_of.html) about Bag of Bones, including more never-before-seen photos from the miniseries and filming.

herbertwest
11-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Good interview Bev!

Did any of you ever wondered the meaning of the title BAG OF BONES (http://aboutstephenking.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/bag-of-bones-the-origins-of-the-title/)? (explainations in the article)

Bev Vincent
11-25-2011, 09:37 AM
It says the foreword is by Mick Garris and the photographs are by Joachim Ladefoged, who seems to be based in Denmark. Interestingly, there is no copyright page.
One question I have is whether this Joachim Ladefoged is a real person. He has a website, Facebook page, etc. but I'm just not sure.

Pretty sure he's real: http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photographers/photographer-joachim-ladefoged/

Bev Vincent
11-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Sara Tidwell (The Lost Recordings from Stephen King's "Bag of Bones") - EP (http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/sara-tidwell-the-lost-recordings/id484358390)

http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/072/Music/f4/43/94/mzi.iumpdhpt.170x170-75.jpg

Bev Vincent
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Part 3 of my interview with Mick Garris (http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b24706_playing_tag_with_death_part_3_of.html), in which he also talks about The Stand remake.

DanishCollector
12-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Great interviews, Bev. And again, Garris and his love for the genre and filmmaking in general makes me feel so good. I really can't wait to see Bag of Bones.

Merlin1958
12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Part 3 of my interview with Mick Garris (http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b24706_playing_tag_with_death_part_3_of.html), in which he also talks about The Stand remake.

Good Stuff, Bev!!! Thanks!!!

herbertwest
12-03-2011, 03:31 AM
A very good interview Bev! Thanks for doing it and sharing it with us!

Bev Vincent
12-04-2011, 05:07 PM
interview with Annabeth Gish (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/news-from-the-dead-zone-148/), who plays Jo Noonan

Lilja
12-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Two more copies of Dark Score Stories are up for grabs on my site. Head over for a chance to win. And it's no hard work to enter either :-)

Lilja

TCCBodhi
12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Am I missing something with the entry form (for the StephenKing.com announcement on 12/5? The first bit is "I found (#)(adjective)(noun) on (site without http).

I don't know if I just had a long day at work, but I just don't get it. Can someone at least clue me in on what I should be looking for?

TCCBodhi
12-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I watched/listened/read everything that I could see on darkscorestories website but didn't see anything that seems to answer these blanks.

Robert Fulman
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't know what they mean, but the rules state that the contest is a random drawing. I just entered "I found 19 scary stories on StephenKing.com" and called it a day.

Bev Vincent
12-06-2011, 03:34 AM
Specify something you found in a particular section at DarkScoreStories.com

Brice
12-06-2011, 03:37 AM
I get finding a certain number of something, but not finding a certain number of something when you don't know what those somethings might be

Bev Vincent
12-06-2011, 04:07 AM
Anything you find, even if there's just one of it, will do.

Brice
12-06-2011, 04:27 AM
So then there is no one right answer?

Bev Vincent
12-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Correct.

Brice
12-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Oh, cool! That's what was driving me crazy. I thought i was looking for something specific.

Bev Vincent
12-06-2011, 07:08 AM
From Ms. Mod: We're asking you to come up with a sentence beginning with "I found" and filling in a number, an adjective, and a noun, e.g. I found three glass jars (that's just made up, not necessarily on their site) to prove that you actually went to their site and looked around.

Brice
12-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Thank you! Its a cool idea. I was just confused as to what was expected.

mae
12-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Reviews of the miniseries are starting to appear:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/05/bag-of-bones-holds-attention

With many channels awash in holiday fare in mid-December, the scheduling of Stephen King's Bag of Bones certainly is aggressive.

Then again, with series such as American Horror Story, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Bedlam and Haven (which also is based on a story by King) on the TV landscape this fall, spookiness is more mainstream than it ever has been before.

Even more interesting is the fact that all of the aforementioned shows -- and you can throw Bag of Bones into this mix, too -- are quite well-done in their own way. Apparently this isn't an era for trashy-slashy horror, but rather a time for lush, quality horror.

In any case, none other than Pierce Brosnan, the former Remington Steele and James Bond, stars in the new two-part mini-series Stephen King's Bag of Bones. It airs on consecutive nights -- Sunday, Dec. 11 and Monday, Dec. 12 -- on A&E.

Full disclosure: I read the book Bag of Bones a number of years ago (it was published in 1998), so I remembered the general outline of the story heading into the mini-series.

Best-selling novelist Mike Noonan (Brosnan) is suffering from writer's block after a horrible tragedy rocks his world. Mike opts for a change of scenery when a dream prods him into an extended stay at an inherited family retreat on Dark Score Lake in Maine.

Once there, Mike begins to realize that he is not alone in the house, even though, physically speaking, he's by himself. Spirits -- some family, some not; some friendly, some not -- are trying to tell Mike something.

And what's with those intense visions Mike keeps having, transporting him back to the Dark Score Lake Fair in 1939? How does it all connect to the weird things that are happening to Mike today?

The question is whether Mike can figure out what everything means in time to avert a disaster -- a potential disaster in which Mike is in danger of becoming an unwilling participant.

Bag of Bones also stars Annabeth Gish as Mike's wife Jo; Melissa George as an attractive young widow and mother named Maddie Devore; William Schallert as Maddie's evil father-in-law Max Devore; Deborah Grover as Max's equally evil sidekick Rogette Whitmore; Jason Priestley as Mike's literary agent Marty Oblowski; Matt Frewer as Mike's brother Sid; and Anika Noni Rose as Sara Tidwell, a sultry 1930s torch singer who in some cursed way is at the centre of the mystery.

With any story of this nature, a rather robust "suspension of disbelief" is required by the viewer. And while this is of no consequence to anyone who hasn't read the book, if you have read it you'll notice some little leaps of logic that aren't explained at all in the TV mini-series but were fully fleshed out in the novel.

A side point: Why does Mike have an Irish accent while his brother Sid definitely does not?

Nonetheless, despite those idiosyncrasies, the stylish and scary Bag of Bones whole-heartedly held my interest right to the end. No bones about it.

mae
12-08-2011, 04:58 PM
http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/television/reviews/view/2011_1208mixed_bag_stephen_king_miniseries_cooks_u p_chills_but_few_thrills

TV can be a scary place these days.

Between the gory, flesh-eating zombies on AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” the bloodsucking vampires on HBO’s “True Blood” and whatever creepy nonsense is happening this week on FX’s “American Horror Story,” viewers are treated to disturbing, alarming images on a regular basis.

Into this current TV fray comes the king of the horror genre. “Stephen King’s Bag of Bones” premieres Sunday at 9 p.m. on A&E. Based on King’s 1998 novel of the same name, the miniseries, which concludes Monday, doesn’t have the terrifying scares viewers have come to expect from the prolific author.

Mike Noonan (Pierce Brosnan) is a best-selling novelist married to his loving wife Jo (Annabeth Gish). When Jo is tragically killed, a grieving Mike heads to the home he inherited on Dark Score Lake in Maine. While there, he meets Mattie (Melissa George) a young widow in the middle of a vicious custody battle with her kooky father-in-law Max Devore (William Schallert).

Mike learns that the town has a history of people going “Dark Score crazy.” He is haunted by Jo, who he regularly communicates with by saying “once for yes, twice for no.” Jo rings phones and bells. But there is another very angry ghost vying for Mike’s attention.

“Bag of Bones” is one of those productions where nothing the characters do makes much sense. Mike is in the middle of nowhere and strange things keep happening in his house yet he doesn’t lock the door. He immediately overshares with Mattie, telling her how he is doubting his deceased wife’s fidelity and that he’s passing off a book he wrote years ago as something new. Brosnan and George lack chemistry, which makes their instant connection fairly unbelievable.

Lots of images are supposed to be frightening without being scary, and many of them seem derivative of what’s already on TV. Instead of being terrifying, Max Devore is a live version of Mr. Burns from “The Simpsons.” But there are flashes of inspiration. The terror that refrigerator magnets cause Mike is classic King. And when someone tells Mike he’s his No. 1 fan, Jo says “Have fun with Annie Wilkes here” — a not-so-subtle reference to King’s “Misery.”

But while the pace of the series definitely picks up in the second night, “Bag of Bones” doesn’t pull off the scares of King’s previous works such as “Misery” or “The Shining” nor does it have the poignancy of his “The Shawshank Redemption.” When the mystery of why Mike is being haunted is finally revealed, the payoff, while tragic and sad, doesn’t offer an emotionally satisfying conclusion.

nocny
12-09-2011, 02:57 AM
it's funny review.
when your house is haunted by ghost, close the door and everything will be fine ;D

Iwritecode
12-09-2011, 07:12 AM
I really hope they don't deviate too much from the book's ending. It was one of King's better endings IMHO.

mae
12-09-2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/reviews/story/2011-12-08/Bag-of-Bones-review-Stephen-King-Robert-Bianco/51747392/1

As fond of Stephen King as TV may be, it hasn't been particularly good to him.

With a few notable exceptions —It and The Stand chief among them — King's various TV projects have ranged from bad (Rose Red, Kingdom Hospital) to laughably bad (The Langoliers). That's not so much a mixed bag as a near-empty one.

The knock on even the best of King's miniseries has always been that they don't end nearly as well as they begin. The unseen early horrors may be scary, but the horror vanishes when what was only imagined becomes manifest — invariably leaving viewers disappointed (or, worse, amused) by both the monster and the ambiguous morals of stories that are awash in spirits but devoid of spirituality.

On that score, at least, Bag of Bones can claim consistency: It starts slow, moves slowly and goes nowhere. Which is probably what you should expect from a story about a writer who can't write plagued by two ghosts who won't shut up.

The writer, sad to say, is Pierce Brosnan, a fine actor and genuine star wasted in a silly role that too often requires him and everyone else to behave in ways no normal human would. (Multiple murders and the police just let the only witness/suspect wander away?) As blocked best-selling author Mike Noonan, he spends the first hour of the two-part miniseries grieving for his late wife, Jo (Annabeth Gish), and the rest of it interpreting the various messages she leaves for him at their haunted retreat at cursed Dark Score Lake.

Alas for poor Mike, he and Jo share the cabin with the angry spirit of a '30s blues singer (Anika Noni Rose), who speaks through dreams and records while Jo is forced to rely on bells and refrigerator magnets. If Mike had just bought Jo enough magnets to let her spell her messages out more clearly, the movie could have been two hours shorter and we'd all go home happier.

You wonder why Mike doesn't just leave, or at least show a bit more surprise when, say, the craziest of the town's many crazy residents (Patty Duke's William Schallert, at 89 having a grand time in an evil change-of-pace) has his Mrs. Danvers henchwoman try to stone him to death. But then you may also wonder why Mike never notices that basements and bathtubs spell trouble. Hasn't he ever read a horror story before?

Mike may be slow on the uptake, but it won't take you long to realize you are once again deep within one of King's favorite tropes: an evil secret act that is resounding and repeating down through the generations. The problem here, aside from the lack of sympathy you feel for all involved and the ludicrously abrupt happy ending, is that the resolution is so silly and so poorly visualized, it makes those time-eating dust bunnies from The Langoliers look sensible by comparison.

Bag it.

Bev Vincent
12-09-2011, 12:18 PM
The reviews have certainly not been kind thus far, with a few exceptions.

Here's my review (http://www.fearnet.com/news/reviews/b24769_tv_miniseries_review_bag_of_bones.html)

mae
12-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Of course I'm very much looking forward to this, and both parts have been scheduled on my DVR long ago, but obviously the spirit of the novel doesn't appear to be there. I loved the book, it's one of King's very best, yet it seems it didn't translate all that well onto the small screen. We'll see. I loved The Langoliers, it stayed pretty close to the original novella, and it was very creepy, I don't know what's up with that USA Today reviewer. The special effects may have been subpar, but that was early nineties TV, what do they expect? I'm sure Bag of Bones will be a quality miniseries. I just don't think the atmosphere of the novel will be there. That stuff rarely gets off from the page.

pathoftheturtle
12-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Hm, well, already I know that Pierce Brosnan is NOT the face I pictured.

Brice
12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Two more copies of Dark Score Stories are up for grabs on my site. Head over for a chance to win. And it's no hard work to enter either :-)

Lilja

Thank you, Lilja! :)

mae
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
So what's everyone's thoughts on the first part of this?

Merlin1958
12-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Part one felt a little slow to me. Hope they pick up the pace tonight.

Brice
12-12-2011, 08:38 PM
I didn't watch because I knew I wouldn't see the next night. I'll be waiting for the dvd.

Roland of Gilead 33
12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
well the 1st part i think was just to damn slow. though it had it's moments to be fair. we barely get any Mattie in it. Jo had a bigger part in the 1st part than the character Mattie! or however ya spell her name? he he anyways, really cause about 90% of the entire thing was just him alone in the cabin in the woods. the 2nd part i think was a LOT better. & was better written. shit happend in it. & i just fucking loved it.

so my review is i think really this, the movie is i think pretty good. it wasn't as good as i was hoping it'd be cause this is one of my favorite books of his. the old man had a smaller part in the film than he did in the book. personally i don't think 2 parts is long enough. it should have been at least a 3 parter. & yea this is one i'll prolly end up buying when it comes to either dvd or blu-ray.

i'd rather watch this one, than that god awful film "Apt Pupil" THAT film was utter shit.

pathoftheturtle
12-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Aw, man, I went in wanting to dislike it, but then I got sucked in and turned around, liked the first 3 hours so much & seriously started to expect that it was going to be altogether so much better than rumored... but then it did after all turn out to have a pretty corny final act.
Not quite as bad as the old "It" miniseries's finale, but I still can't actually give the good review which I had started in my head. <_<

Bev Vincent
12-13-2011, 10:11 AM
A&E has the entire miniseries streaming on their website: http://www.aetv.com/bag-of-bones/watch-the-movie/part-1/

Iwritecode
12-13-2011, 11:04 AM
I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words sometimes but I'll give it a shot...

I missed the first hour of the first part but what I did see I was slightly dissapointed in. I know it's cliche to say but, the book was better.

Pierce Brosnan wasn't the right actor for this IMHO. I don't know why but he just didn't seem to fit the character. They stayed fairly true to the books but there was a lot of stuff that had to be verbalized by the characters that were depected as thoughts in the book. I understand why it had to be done but I didn't like it.

The ending was pretty anti-climactic as well. I honestly expected more of a struggle between Jo and Sara.

I also didn't like the fact that they never referred to the house as Sara Laughs. The singing and music seemed like it should have been more upbeat with Sara laughing her way through the songs.

Roland of Gilead 33
12-13-2011, 01:19 PM
he did a decent job with what was he was given. but it wasn't his best performance to be fair. the little girl who was just a cute little kid wasn't very good either. in some scenes she was terrible. in others she was alright. & in others she was decent so it varied to be more fair. it's been so long since i last read the book that i forgot about what happend to Mattie! i said to myself that's NOT how it happened in the book!

than i had to look it up! & i he he ended up being wrong! i will say this unlike 'Riding the bullet" which i think was a piece of utter shit as well. this one i at least will watch again at some point. that one not really. maybe if i'm bored & there's nothing else on.

Bev Vincent
12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
For Part 1, A&E lured 3.4 million total viewers on Sunday evening, making it the top cable telecast for the night. And on the following evening, Bag of Bones retained a strong 88 percent of its premiere audience, delivering 3 million viewers.

jhanic
12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Those are very decent numbers for any cable channel. I know there were a number of people who recorded it for later viewing, also.

John

Roland of Gilead 33
12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
actually for that channel that prolly is a good nite. cause it's NOT like ABC or NBC or one of those channels. so that was prolly a good nite for them.

i hope they do more king adaptations since apparently ABC's deal ran out i believe with "Desperation" i'm curious how 'Rose Madder" would look on film. it's an odd one of his. but the character would of course have to be clothed. HBO i think would suit that one best if they wanted to keep her naked. but one film i'm curious how well one book what it'd look like on screen is 'Insommia" i love that book

though the hardest ones prolly would be "The Dark Tower" this one is what i call his change of pace or something along the lines of that. when he changed style. at least in my own opinion. that'd be a hard one to make as well. no matter who made it.

jhanic
12-14-2011, 05:38 AM
Roland, I think you're confusing Rose Madder with Gerald's Game.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-14-2011, 07:41 AM
I didn't watch because I knew I wouldn't see the next night. I'll be waiting for the dvd.

Both DVD episodes are available online. I downloaded both, but will not watch it until the weekend.

Brice
12-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Thank you!

Heather19
12-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Well I was pretty disappointed. Even though it's kinda what I was expecting. I've never hidden my thoughts of Mick Garris as a director and I really dislike the fact that he always gets to helm many King adaptations. The film had no mood or feeling behind it. Pierce was horrible as Mike. I was really hoping I'd warm up to him but unfortunately that didn't happen. And the little girl actress was so bad. Although in all fairness I really don't think it was her that was the problem, I think it was the fact that the role was really written for someone that was supposed to be a lot younger, and she acted like it, but it just didn't work for me because she looked a lot older. I also hated how they cut out Max from the film. He was such a prominent character in the story, but you didn't really get that sense of dread or uneasiness about him in the movie as he had such a small part. Also there was no chemistry between Mike and Mattie. And with the way it was filmed, I understand some things need to be cut out, but there should have been more of the two of them working up to their relationship. Although the whole thing had a very disconnected feeling to it. It just felt like a bunch of scenes tossed together with no real flow or connection between them. While I didn't completely hate it, this is one that I wish wasn't made. It's one of my favorite stories so maybe I'm judging it more harshly, but I'd just rather have no adaptation than a mediocre one.

Brice
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I may need to reread this before I watch the movie. I don't remember a single character you named. :lol:

Bev Vincent
12-14-2011, 12:40 PM
According to my channel guide, the miniseries will air in its entirety on the following dates

Friday 12/17 starting at 7 pm (Central)
Friday 12/17 starting at 11 pm
Sunday 12/18 starting at noon
Sunday 12/25 starting at noon
Monday 12/26 starting at 8 a.m.

Roland of Gilead 33
12-14-2011, 12:45 PM
nor i. but 1stly let me add this, i've actually never gotten around to read "Gerald's Game' but yes that would fit fit from what i'm told HBO as well. but i have read "Rose Madder' let me add that it's been years & i've only read it like 2 or 3 times. it's an odd one. but if memory serves me right,

the character who's name i forget the lead. when she goes into the painting she's buck ass nekid through the entire experience. or something like that. keep in mind that i haven't read it in over 10 years. some of his books i remember more than others. the only thing i remembered from "Bag of bones" was the name of 'Mike Noonan" even though i've read the book a couple of times.

so if i got shit wrong when it comes to the book "Rose Madder' that's why. i enjoyed the film "Desperation" it was a decent film. but the one thing that drags that one down is the shitty acting in it. "Tom Skerritt" or however ya spell his name. is a guy who normally gives it his all. & his acting in that film is well shitty in some parts.

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Cutting any nude scenes from Rose Madder wouldn't ruin it, (cutting them from Gerald's Game would be utterly laughable) but I still think that, if anything, it should be a feature film. With a super talented director to make the best of it. That's one King novel which, in my opinion, already reads too much like a bad TV miniseries.
... I've never hidden my thoughts of Mick Garris as a director and I really dislike the fact that he always gets to helm many King adaptations. ...That was one of my problems going in, too. he seems to be TOO respectful of the author, if that's possible. And Pierce Brosnon, well, maybe he respects King, I don't know; guess it was wrong to hold The Lawnmower Man against him.
... The film had no mood or feeling behind it. ...I wouldn't say that. What I'd say is that the mood was uneven and the intention behind it spotty and obscured. Felt kind of like he tried to convey the novel's mood by pacing the development of plot slowly, but then ran out of time and tried to dream up ways to mash all of the rest of it in willy-nilly.

Roland of Gilead 33
12-14-2011, 05:58 PM
the 1st part did move at a snail's pace. it should have been 3 parts if he was going to do it that way. hell even the (1997) version of 'The Shining" was slow but that was i think done far better. it may have been a bit slow at times. but at least shit happend!

& most of some scenes wasn't just danny walking around or Jack just sitting at the bar drinking a beer.

divemaster
12-15-2011, 07:34 AM
I re-read the book a month or so ago in anticipation of watching the TV movie. Bag of Bones always was high on my list of very good King works that I enjoyed.

After reading some reviews, especially the one in the Washington Post, I decided NOT to watch the TV show. I didn't want to be disappointed. Based on the reaction here I'm glad I skipped it. Maybe I'll Netflix it one day. Maybe.

Heather19
12-15-2011, 07:43 AM
I kinda wish I did, but there's no way I can not watch a King film :lol: I think I am going to reread the book now though because it's been awhile since I last have.

evilash
12-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Re-reading the book is the best way I can think of to wash the "taste" of the movie version away and be left with a positive feeling about the story and characters. I agree with those of you who say it wasn't the worst adaptation ever, it was very disappointing. I also wish I hadn't gotten my hopes up so high as they had that much further to fall. Fall they did.

mae
12-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Same here, I trudged through the first part and couldn't stand more than half an hour of the second. Indeed, the best part of this whole thing is that it inspired me to re-read the great novel that Bag of Bones is, which I started last night. Garris should be prohibited from adapting any more King books.

Heather19
12-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Same here, I trudged through the first part and couldn't stand more than half an hour of the second. Indeed, the best part of this whole thing is that it inspired me to re-read the great novel that Bag of Bones is, which I started last night. Garris should be prohibited from adapting any more King books.

Hear, hear!

And I agree with what Path said above. While he might try to stay true to the "story" I feel that it almost takes over him in a sense that he forgets what he's really trying to do. And that he'll in turn fall short on the emotions or feelings of the book. As if the elements are there but nothing behind it. Not sure if that makes any sense.

Erin
12-15-2011, 09:19 AM
I watched the series and my overall feelings were just sort of "blah". I can't really place it, but I just felt something was very "off" about the whole thing.

Brice
12-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Y'all are making me nervous about this. :(

Roland of Gilead 33
12-15-2011, 12:35 PM
well as for me, my expectations weren't actually high at all. they weren't low either. just kind in between i guess. cause i really didn't think about it. guess the BEST way to put it ladies & gents is that it was more so Curiosity. & i think that helped my enjoyment of it. well the 2nd part anyways.

for those who haven't seen it, just keep your expectations low. & that way if you hate it, you won't be dissapointed. what is the next "KING" film that's due out anyways? since i really doubt it'll be "The Dark Tower" anytime soon! he he

mystima
12-15-2011, 08:07 PM
About the only thing I liked about the film was the Annie Wilkes comment Jo made at the beginning of the movie...other than that...meh. And was Sid in the book at all and was he gay in the book too? I don't remember that but it has been a couple of years since i have read the book....may need to go back and do a re-read as well.

Roland of Gilead 33
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
i also LOVED that comment. & there was another reference as well which i forget what it is at the moment. but it was to a different book i beleive.
i also can't remember if his brother was gay or not either. i'm THRILLED to learn i'm NOT the only one who couldn't remember!

Bev Vincent
12-16-2011, 03:13 AM
There was a Bachman book on the publishing schedule and Mike says "Boo'ya Moon" at one point.

nikky_
12-16-2011, 03:24 AM
I just watched both parts and thought it was ok. The first part was a little boring at the beginning and it took some time for me to really get into it. Second part was better cause things actually happened...
For me there was too much of the book left out though. I can't really grasp it, but the book had this very emotional feeling to it and I remember that I really enjoyed how Mike and Kyra bonded in the book and spent time together. That was completely left out. Also the "fight" at the end between Jo and Sara seemed a little to easy.
I did like the King references - it's always nice to hear things in a movie that you understand but the person next to you doesn't - makes me feel literate ;)
It's not gonna be my favorite King movie adaption, but I've also seen worse...

Roland of Gilead 33
12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
fair enough, wasn't Mike & maddie at some point even sleeping together. & he was slowly starting to fall for her. or am I wrong on this? on all this i mean. i'm trying to remember shit from it but i just well can't! he he

needfulthings
12-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I managed to bag (pun intended) one of the Bag of Bones phonograph press kits. It was a buy it now for $189 & free shiping. The last one sold for $338 plus $15 shipping & if the bidder had read the discription it clearly stated that the DVDs were not included.Does "One Born Every Minute"ring a bell? Did anyone besides me catch Mick Garris's comeo?CLUE Stepnen King did a similar cameo in another movie.

Iwritecode
12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
fair enough, wasn't Mike & maddie at some point even sleeping together. & he was slowly starting to fall for her. or am I wrong on this? on all this i mean. i'm trying to remember shit from it but i just well can't! he he

No. In the book he dreamed of sleeping with her but that's it. They sort of portrayed that in the movie.

mae
12-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Does this sound like the abysmal miniseries?

http://www.fearnet.com/news/reviews/b24844_book_review_bag_of_bones_by_stephen_king.ht ml

In the wake of A&E's two-part miniseries, it's interesting to look back at King's seminal novel, and uncover what it meant for King's canon, both within the fiction and without. In 1998, Stephen King changed publishers for the first time since the late 1970s. Believing he was being taken for granted at Viking and New American Library, he moved to the prestigious Simon & Schuster. Bag of Bones, his first novel for the company, was billed as "A Haunted Love Story" and included blurbs from respected mainstream novelists Amy Tan (The Joy Luck Club) and Gloria Naylor (The Women of Brewster Place). Through marketing and perception, it seemed, Stephen King was trying for a fresh start, and perhaps a new audience.

Tonally recalling The Dead Zone and anticipating the subtle unease of both Duma Key and 11/22/63, Bag of Bones is an almost quiet, measured examination of how the dead affect the living. We become aware early on that Bag of Bones is a ghost story, but far removed from the horrors of a novel like The Shining. Instead modeled after gothic romances with supernatural overtones like Daphne DuMaurier's Rebecca (which Mike mentions early and often throughout the book, making him one of King's self-aware characters who knows the type of story he's in), Bag of Bones aims to answer the complex questions of why people die, how the living go on, and what happens if there is unfinished business.

Mike Noonan's first-person narrative – again suggesting King's later direction with the Duma Key and 11/22/63 – immediately makes Bag of Bones more intimate, and Mike himself instantly more open and confessional than most prior King protagonists. Very early on, he confides that he has trouble asking for help, reinforced by his complicated relationship with his brother-in-law Frank. It's an oddly personal and idiosyncratic character trait for a Stephen King character, far removed from Jack Torrance's addictive behavior, Johnny Marinville's surface bluster, or Thad Beaumont's clumsiness. At once, Bag of Bones is a more nuanced experience, plumbing layers of human response and interaction King had merely approached in the past.

In The Tommyknockers, King introduced a fresh take on adult romance: Bobbi Anderson and Jim Gardener have a complex, layered relationship that is ultimately more interesting than the extraterrestrial threat to the town of Haven. Since, King has continually mined new romantic territory in his novels with a refreshing frankness. From the elderly second-chance romance of Ralph and Lois in Insomnia to Jake and Sadie's tragically romantic and unapologetically sexual love in 11/22/63; from the cautious beginnings of Alan and Polly's relationship in Needful Things to the furtive, epic, doomed love of Roland and Susan in Wizard & Glass: King's interest in non-traditional love and sex has been an expanding undercurrent to King's more modern work. At the center of Bag of Bones is a May-October romance, starting when Mike stumbles into the lives of young Mattie Devore and her three-year-old daughter, Kyra – an important and understatedly epic sequence in the novel that feels somewhat reduced in the miniseries. Mike and Mattie's slow-burning romance is sweet and realistic, and King is careful to not only discuss the differences in their ages, but also in their classes. Mike is a successful, fairly rich novelist, and Mattie is a young widower raising her daughter in a trailer park (said trailer park within walking distance of Mike's summer cottage on TR-90, the unincorporated township in which Bag of Bones takes place). There are shallow reasons for each of them to be with the other – Mattie's age and physical beauty arouses Mike, and Mike's money could help Mattie in life-altering ways – so the fact that they connect intellectually is gratifying, as is the fact that those shallow reasons are actually discussed.

While the horror in the novel is not muted, it is less visceral than in many other King books. In some ways, Bag of Bones is more frightening for it – a sense of calm dread settles into the novel early on and generally stays there. There are, of course, moments of blunt horror, often coming from unlikely places. One scene featuring an elderly woman implacably throwing stones at a swimming Mike Noonan is as chilling as Jack Torrance running around the Overlook with a croquet mallet; the understated unfolding of the scene transcends the surface absurdity of it, allowing readers to experience Mike's panic and fear.

More, both the horror and supernatural aspects of the novel are woven into the lives and experiences of these characters, rather than intruding on them from outside. King occasionally struggles when inserting external supernatural forces into novels that don't seem to require them: the "ghostly" hints in Cujo, the psychic flashes in Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne, and the showdown in The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon are a few examples. The abruptness of the supernatural in Rose Madder, too, seems somewhat clumsy. In Bag of Bones, however, one never senses a disconnect between "reality" and "paranormal," both informing the other as the layers of the novel unfold.

Following Misery, The Dark Half, and "Secret Window, Secret Garden," Bag of Bones is another important entry in King's take on writers and writing. Mike's inability to write following the death of his wife, Jo, is palpably frustrating. One of King's greatest strengths is putting into plain words the struggles of writing novels; here, writer's block is as real and painful as Paul Sheldon's physical pain in Misery, or Eddie Dean's withdrawal hell in The Drawing of the Three. One doesn't need to be a writer to understand Mike's torment, or sympathize with it. Beyond King's understanding of the writing (or not-writing) process is a rare glimpse into the world of publishing. Mike putting away manuscripts to be published at a later date is a fascinating, idiosyncratic detail that is also necessary to the plot.

Perhaps more than in any other novel, Bag of Bones is rife with symbolic names. Mike Noonan's maid is Brenda Meserve and his handyman is Bill Dean ("building"). Mattie's evil father-in-law is Max Devore – an echo of devour – and two of his emissaries are George Footman and Rogette Whitmore (King is adamant about pronouncing her name with a hard g, making her a rogue in the feminine). Rather than merely being a playful detail, both the extent and obviousness of symbolic names are actually clues. Names are of vital importance to the deeper mysteries of Bag of Bones.

Unexpectedly, racism becomes one of Bag of Bones' most important themes. Sara Laughs, the nickname of a blues singer who once lived on TR-90, is now the name of Mike's summer cottage. Here, too, is another name of significance: the history of both the woman and the cottage named for her are crucial to the plot (the name is omitted entirely from the miniseries, making a tense flashback during which Sara actually laughs through a demoralizing attack seem out of place). While King has discussed racism in novels before (especially in It and The Drawing of the Three), never before has it been this central to the story, representing a shifting social consciousness in the chronology of King's novels.

As with many of King's past novels (most notably The Dead Zone, Misery, Rose Madder, and Desperation), the title Bag of Bones has multiple meanings. Early, Mike references a quotation he attributes to Thomas Hardy: "Compared to the dullest human being actually walking about on the face of the earth and casting his shadow there, the most brilliantly drawn character in a novel is but a bag of bones." The quote comes early and frequently, speaking to Mike Noonan's – and Stephen King's – affinity for fiction...and its inherent dangers. Near the end of the novel, a new, literal meaning of the title is divulged, in a scene at once horrifying and sad.

Weather – especially violent weather – has often played a part in King's stories, especially in their finales. The snowstorms featured in The Shining, Cycle of the Werewolf, and "The Reach" all lead to death, albeit with different outcomes. "The Mist" hinges on a freak thunderstorm, and the sandstorm in Desperation plays an important role in keeping the survivors in town. It is bookended by storms, the one at the end wreaking wholesale destruction in the town of Derry, similar to the wreckage of Chamberlain at the end of Carrie or to Castle Rock in Needful Things. Compared to the bombastic finales of those novels, the final scenes of Bag of Bones are unusually tight, utilizing a massive storm and the book's ghosts smartly and judiciously. Where King often has a tendency to get lost in the details of destruction, here the momentum never slows, resulting in one of King's best and most effective end sequences.

Bag of Bones is one of King's best and most affecting novels. Written in an assured literary tone (without sacrificing horror), this introduces a new sort of writing for King; later books like Hearts in Atlantis, On Writing, Duma Key, and 11/22/63 would also be written in this style. Both a critical and popular success – it won a British Fantasy Award, a Locus Award, and a Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel – hitting #1 on the bestseller charts for a full month. One of King's few formally plotted novels, Bag of Bones features an engaging mystery, vibrant characters, and an expert pace, making it a remarkable achievement on every level.

Heather19
12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Wow, that was a really good review. And those are exactly the things that were missing from the film.

mystima
12-16-2011, 06:34 PM
and it also answers a question I had earlier about the character Sid. In the book he talks with his brother-in-law Frank. In the movie it is his brother.

pathoftheturtle
12-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Bag of Bones is one of King's best and most affecting novels.QFT!

While King has discussed racism in novels before (especially in It and The Drawing of the Three), never before has it been this central to the story...Um, The Green Mile... ?

And what about Thinner? The essence of that book was discrimination against gypsies, right?

TCCBodhi
12-18-2011, 09:39 AM
"OWLS IN THE STUDIO!"........ok, now what? oh.......nothing? ok.

Cook
12-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I know, I know, I'll probably catch some crap for this but I gotta say it.
The directing and editing of this movie was horrible.
The acting was marginal, more crap than good.
Only good thing... Make-up,
Sorry, that's what I think.

Randall Flagg
12-18-2011, 10:28 AM
I liked that it was in high-definition.

pixiedark76
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
I actually liked the Bag of Bones movie. I agree it was nowhere near as good as the book, but what SK movie ever was as good as the book? I liked the way the movie depicted some of the events.

The movie updated the events from the early 1900's to 1939, which made more sense to me. Also it was awesome the way that Sara Tidwell cursed Max Devore and the other men with her dying breath.

I think Mick Garris did a great job. I thought the movie was very scary. I don't want to take a bath or give my kids a bath now!

pixiedark76
12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
So, did you like the Bag of Bones movie?

YES

NO

pixiedark76
12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I voted yes. I enjoyed watching the movie. the movie was nowhere near as good as the book, (what SK book ever is?) I think it could have been a lot worse. I actually like Mick Garris and his adaptations of SK books. I also liked "Riding the Bullet"

Garrell
12-21-2011, 06:51 PM
This is kinda a first for me, loved the TV series and hated the book. I thought it translated better on film than the book.

Brice
12-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I still haven't had a chance to see it. Since on some level I even like the ones most people don't I expect I'll enjoy it though.

Brice
12-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Ever? :unsure:

Bev Vincent
12-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Moving the fair to 1939 created a logistical problem -- Mike's grandfather was a teenager in 1939, but Mike himself was over 50 (they didn't do anything to play down Brosnan's real age--58). If Mike was just 50 (giving them the benefit of the doubt), that means he was born in 1961, only 22 years after the fair. That's not enough time for his grandfather to get married, have a kid, and for that kid to get married and have Mike. It's worse if Mike is 58.

Ben Staad
12-22-2011, 05:28 AM
I voted yes I liked it. If I were doing a comparison between this and the novel the vote would have been different however I tried to view this as a stand alone item.

Heather19
12-22-2011, 05:32 AM
I voted no. And even if I try to leave out the comparison to the book, I didn't think it worked well on it's own. I thought it was very fragmented, and I felt no chemistry between any of the characters.

Ben Staad
12-22-2011, 09:33 AM
I voted no. And even if I try to leave out the comparison to the book, I didn't think it worked well on it's own. I thought it was very fragmented, and I felt no chemistry between any of the characters.

I would agree that there was zero chemistry between Mattie and Mike. It was actually a bit creepy to me seeing the two of them together.

Merlin1958
12-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Personally, while I think they did a decent job of adapting the novel, I also did not think this was a very good title to adapt for the screen. The novel was very "cerebral" if that's the right word, as many King novels are. A lot of the story takes place in the thoughts of the characters. They would have done better with maybe "The Talisman" or "Black House" or a few others.

To me, decent job with doomed subject matter.

pathoftheturtle
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
... it was awesome the way that Sara Tidwell cursed Max Devore and the other men with her dying breath.

Really? That felt so fake to me. And when thattruck crashedI literally laughed out loud. Total "zipper on the back" moment, reminded me of the supe-corny Thinner movie.

Merlin1958
12-23-2011, 06:50 PM
I voted "Yes". It was a bad choice to adapt IMHO, but Part 2 saved it somewhat for a TV movie. Kudo's for guts in trying though.

nocny
12-25-2011, 09:04 AM
I talked with Mick Garris about Bag Of Bones.

HERE IT IS (http://stephenking.pl/sk_wywiady_skpl_111.html)

I think it's quite interesting ;)

Merlin1958
12-25-2011, 10:07 PM
I got something from my Brother in Law, which I think is pretty cool and collectible, but I am not exactly sure what it is. My B-I-L is a graphic artist and teacher and knows folks in the entertainment Biz. He got this from a friend before Thanksgiving, but neglected to send it to me until Christmas. He's not into King or anything, but knows I am. The thing itself makes no mention as to what it is and the only hints are that the discs (4 in total) are titled "Screener's" and "Press Materials" with a contact email and tel no. for someone at A&E networks It appears to be some sort of advance promo item, but I would sure appreciate any help from folks here to actually ID it. Obviously, it is not quite as intricate as some I have seen posted here, but it certainly was produced in advance of the Network Debut and quite handsomely I might add.

Any and all help appreciated!!!!

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6539/029wpg.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/944/030rd.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1594/031oj.jpg

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/5011/032ll.jpg

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3687/033vw.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/388/034huo.jpg

Any idea what to "officially" call this?

nocny
12-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Press Kit?

herbertwest
12-26-2011, 03:51 AM
I talked with Mick Garris about Bag Of Bones.

HERE IT IS (http://stephenking.pl/sk_wywiady_skpl_111.html)

I think it's quite interesting ;)

Good one !

@Merlin1958 : this was available in the phonograph press kit.

pixiedark76
12-29-2011, 03:22 PM
I got something from my Brother in Law, which I think is pretty cool and collectible, but I am not exactly sure what it is. My B-I-L is a graphic artist and teacher and knows folks in the entertainment Biz. He got this from a friend before Thanksgiving, but neglected to send it to me until Christmas. He's not into King or anything, but knows I am. The thing itself makes no mention as to what it is and the only hints are that the discs (4 in total) are titled "Screener's" and "Press Materials" with a contact email and tel no. for someone at A&E networks It appears to be some sort of advance promo item, but I would sure appreciate any help from folks here to actually ID it. Obviously, it is not quite as intricate as some I have seen posted here, but it certainly was produced in advance of the Network Debut and quite handsomely I might add.

Any and all help appreciated!!!!

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6539/029wpg.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/944/030rd.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1594/031oj.jpg

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/5011/032ll.jpg

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3687/033vw.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/388/034huo.jpg

Any idea what to "officially" call this?

If you are not interested and do not want this, I would be very happy to take it off your hands. :lol1:

Merlin1958
12-29-2011, 04:55 PM
LOL No thanks, Pixie. It is a very cool item I just wasn't initially sure what it was, having seen the Phonograph pics. It is a very nice item and I am floored that my BIL thought of me for it!!! We're friendly and all, but not exactly "friends" if ya know what I mean. Now I owe him, somehow!!! LOL

pixiedark76
01-07-2012, 04:04 PM
LOL No thanks, Pixie. It is a very cool item I just wasn't initially sure what it was, having seen the Phonograph pics. It is a very nice item and I am floored that my BIL thought of me for it!!! We're friendly and all, but not exactly "friends" if ya know what I mean. Now I owe him, somehow!!! LOL

:tongue1::P:tongue:

herbertwest
03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
TODAY, BAG OF BONES is being released on DVD in the USA ==> http://amzn.to/wSKUBC

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51iNi8TmtGL.jpg (http://amzn.to/wSKUBC)

Bev Vincent
03-13-2012, 06:09 AM
And to celebrate the occasion, Lou Sytsma posted an hour-long podcast about Bag of Bones (http://blip.tv/odontv/odontv-8-bag-of-bones-6016996) that we recorded a while back that features him, his frequent fellow podcaster Karen Lindsay, and me.

mtdman
03-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Never did get to see the 2nd half of that. Although I reread the book and liked it better the 2nd time.

RichardHawes
04-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this image on darkscorestories.com

http://dzp03404gs4k2.cloudfront.net/lake/dark_score_lake_72.jpg

If you look closely you see that the ketchup is called IT's Ketchup with a clown on the cover and also the soda is Nozz a la

Bev Vincent
04-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Plus Red Razberry Zingers cereal from Cujo

Randall Flagg
04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
What's the "Cramer's" Dairy Milk tie in?

DanishCollector
04-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I believe it's from the Milkman stories in Skeleton Crew.

Randall Flagg
04-03-2012, 06:20 AM
That is correct. I just looked it up.
"The carton was of course brown, and a happy youngster cavorted above printed matter which informed the consumer that this was CRAMER'S DAIRY DRINK WHOLESOME AND DELICIOUS SERVE HOT OR COLD KIDS LOVE IT!
"

Merlin1958
04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Really good catch, Danish Collector!!!! Just as impressive verification, RF!!!!!!!

herbertwest
03-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Finally, there will be a zone 2 DVD... but a german DVD.
I guess that this one will also have an english audio tracks, but does anyone here speaks german and could find if there will also be a french audiotrack, or subtitles....?
>>> http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BQY8LMS/theklaus09/

Bryant Burnette
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Terrible movie. I expected little, and got even less.

herbertwest
07-29-2013, 12:43 AM
The german DVD do have an english+french audiotrack. However, the UK version comes out in mid august
>>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bag-Bones-DVD-Pierce-Brosnan/dp/B00C2SF8XW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&tag=csk-uk-21&qid=1375021327&sr=8-3&keywords=bag+of+bones

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51k79HHYe2L.jpg

Merlin1958
08-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I just realized.... My completed, after the fact, Press kit!!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/5792/003hka.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/8827/004ikk.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/609/005fqr.jpg

Many thanks to, Shannon for helping me accomplish this feat!!!

Ari_Racing
08-01-2013, 08:50 PM
One of the best press kits I ever saw. :)

herbertwest
08-02-2013, 02:07 AM
i agree!

Bryant Burnette
08-02-2013, 10:50 AM
If only the movie hadn't been a piece of shit...

EXPLORER
08-02-2013, 11:28 AM

and... I have to thank you as well as Shannon since the part of this set you did not need filled the piece I was missing....

and it was another occurrence which likely would not have happened with-out the sharing of information here on TDT.org

Merlin1958
08-02-2013, 06:45 PM

and... I have to thank you as well as Shannon since the part of this set you did not need filled the piece I was missing....

and it was another occurrence which likely would not have happened with-out the sharing of information here on TDT.org

Well now, that is a very happy bonus!!! That Shannon works in mysterious ways!!! LOL Glad to be of "Sorta" assistance, Jim!!!

You are damn right though, there are, I imagine, few communities like this on the "WWW"!!!

BTW, next time you come out this way, we still have a date for "Buono's", right? LOL LOL LOL

herbertwest
08-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Very elaborated review.

Merlin1958
08-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Very elaborated review.

LOL LOL It wasn't that bad!!! I rather enjoyed it!! So, there!!! LOL LOL

Bryant Burnette
08-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Very elaborated review.

"Elaborated"?

Merlin1958
08-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Very elaborated review.

"Elaborated"?

Try not being such a "dick" all the time. You may find it very enlightening!!! I was a "Dick" for quite a while and it tends to wear on you.

P.S. Now, I just go with "annoying"!!! LOL LOL

Bryant Burnette
08-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Wasn't aware I was being a dick, but thanks for the heads-up. So to speak.

pathoftheturtle
08-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Please don't tease foreign accents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J08sKqhCt68Could you elaborate?

Bryant Burnette
08-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Okay, in all honesty here, I have no idea what you mean by that. Has a joke of some sort gone over my head, or have I somehow actually given the impression that I'm making fun of somebody?

pathoftheturtle
08-03-2013, 02:08 PM
It looked like a petty poke at the grammar in a sarcastic comment. "It's shit." is pretty curt.

Bryant Burnette
08-03-2013, 02:57 PM
It looked like a petty poke at the grammar in a sarcastic comment. "It's shit." is pretty curt.

It IS curt. Am I required to be more expansive in expressing my opinions? I'm more than capable of writing you an essay giving you an expanded version of my opinion on the matter, but I assumed that would probably be of no interest to anyone but me.

So as to provide a middle-ground solution, here's what I was implying: if the movie had been as lovingly-made as the promo kit for the movie, it might have been something special. But it wasn't, and it wasn't. The movie is full of bad acting and directing, and the screenplay loses a lot of what makes the novel so great.

I still have no idea what this has to do with teasing foreign accents, which is something that to the best of my knowledge, I have never done.

Merlin1958
08-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Very elaborated review.

"Elaborated"?

Try not being such a "dick" all the time. You may find it very enlightening!!! I was a "Dick" for quite a while and it tends to wear on you.

P.S. Now, I just go with "annoying"!!! LOL LOL

Wasn't aware I was being a dick, but thanks for the heads-up. So to speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J08sKqhCt68Could you elaborate?

Okay, in all honesty here, I have no idea what you mean by that. Has a joke of some sort gone over my head, or have I somehow actually given the impression that I'm making fun of somebody?

It IS curt. Am I required to be more expansive in expressing my opinions? I'm more than capable of writing you an essay giving you an expanded version of my opinion on the matter, but I assumed that would probably be of no interest to anyone but me.

So as to provide a middle-ground solution, here's what I was implying: if the movie had been as lovingly-made as the promo kit for the movie, it might have been something special. But it wasn't, and it wasn't. The movie is full of bad acting and directing, and the screenplay loses a lot of what makes the novel so great.

I still have no idea what this has to do with teasing foreign accents, which is something that to the best of my knowledge, I have never done.

Whether you realize it or not, you do have a tendency to come across as a "Dick". I am sure that this is not intended, but having been a "Dick" in the past, I can recognize the symptoms. Try to expand on your posts and think of others when you do so. It will improve your standing in the community!!! Have fun, and carry on!!!!

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I liked the press kit and I also liked the movie. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed it, maybe because even though I read the book I completely forgot what it was about.

Lots of movies I think are great; other people hate, and vice-versa. Of course they're wrong and I'm right! And of course they think the opposite

But I'm still right. Right? Right!

Bryant Burnette
08-03-2013, 04:22 PM
It wasn't great, but I enjoyed it, maybe because even though I read the book I completely forgot what it was about.

That would certainly have helped.

There were things I liked about the movie. I thought Pierce Brosnan was pretty good, for example. I thought the cinematography was good; the music, too. But overall, it didn't work for me at all.

Or, in other words, it was a piece of shit.

herbertwest
08-04-2013, 02:44 AM
You like this, you like, you like this. But overwhole it's a piece of shit (1+1+1=0).
It's a funny way to look at things.

Bryant Burnette
08-04-2013, 02:49 AM
You like this, you like, you like this. But overwhole it's a piece of shit (1+1+1=0).

Surely you've encountered the idea that somebody can like part of a thing without liking the entirety of it before. There's no possible way that this can be the first time you're encountering that concept.

Bryant Burnette
08-04-2013, 02:51 AM
It's a funny way to look at things.

Remind me sometime to give you my opinion on Maximum Overdrive. It's a piece of shit, too, but one that I dearly love.

biomieg
08-04-2013, 02:52 AM

In case you hadn't noticed, 'herbertwest' (Jeremy) is French. What others tried to point out is that you seemed to make fun of his use of the word "elaborated" (post #176).

CyberGhostface
08-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I thought BoB was pretty mediocre IMO, and while there are worst King films out there, I'd say it ranks pretty high in regards to how well-received the book is.

Imagine what Darabont could have done with it, and instead it's something that was forgotten about the day after it aired and didn't even warrant a Blu-ray release. It just dropped the ball on nearly every conceivable level. It's not even like the "WTF happened" with Dreamcatcher, it's just...blah.

Bryant Burnette
08-04-2013, 12:25 PM

In case you hadn't noticed, 'herbertwest' (Jeremy) is French. What others tried to point out is that you seemed to make fun of his use of the word "elaborated" (post #176).

Ah ha! It all makes sense now.

I was indeed poking fun at his misuse of a word, but that had nothing to do with him being from France. And I still don't know why pathoftheturtle said something about a foreign accent. An accent is a spoken thing, not a typed thing. (I'm sure someone will now take offense to me having pointed THAT out, but so be it.)

Bryant Burnette
08-04-2013, 12:36 PM
I thought BoB was pretty mediocre IMO, and while there are worst King films out there, I'd say it ranks pretty high in regards to how well-received the book is.

Imagine what Darabont could have done with it, and instead it's something that was forgotten about the day after it aired and didn't even warrant a Blu-ray release. It just dropped the ball on nearly every conceivable level. It's not even like the "WTF happened" with Dreamcatcher, it's just...blah.

The biggest problem with Bag of Bones is that the screenplay changes certain things from the way they are in the book, which is not a problem for me in and of itself; the problem is that no consideration was taken for changing things that would need to be changed as a result of the other changes.

For example: Kyra was aged up several years. That makes sense, because it's hard to find a three-year-old actress to pull off a role like that. But here's the thing: if you age her up to seven or eight or whatever she is in the movie, you can't have her do things a three-year-old would do. So BAM!, all of a sudden the scene in which Kyra is walking down the road and nearly gets run over becomes ludicrous, because Kyra is no longer a little kid who isn't old enough to know better, she's a little kid who IS old enough to know better.

The movie is filled with things like that.

Good call on wondering what it would have been like with Darabont at the helm. If only...! I just hope this is the last King book Mick Garris ever gets to butcher.

Bryant Burnette
08-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Here's my stance on adaptations changing things from the source material, excerpted from a review I wrote of the Bag of Bones movie:

"I did not miss Tom Bombadil in the Lord of the Rings movies; he is an intriguing character in the novel, but if he had made it into the movie -- even if P.J. had toned down all the singing and whatnot -- then I think he would have created some unrealistic expectations in the audience. Or, more likely, just confused them. So, no, I don't focus on the novel too heavily. For example, I couldn't possibly care less what color Roland's eyes are. I'm fine with them being blue in the novel; I'd also have been fine with them being brown or green. His eye color is completely irrelevant, and if you are the type of person to focus on that as something a movie HAS to get right, then I honestly don't know why you would ever -- EVER -- watch a movie based on a novel you'd read. You're doomed to disappointment if you do. That's not me. So, to be clear: feel free to make changes to the source material. However, you need to do so from a place of understanding what is and isn't dispensable. Also, you need to understand that if you DO make a change, you have to change it fully. A story element in a novel is like cancer: if you're taking it out, you'd damn well better take it all, or it's bound to cause you problems. And some cancers simply can't be removed without killing the patient. It's a fact of life, and a fact of adapting prose into film."

CyberGhostface
08-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah... it's been a while since I read the book so I didn't notice all of the changes but a lot of the stuff from the book just fell flat...like the "throwing rocks" scene. It just felt... tame. I get that a bit has to do with the censors but the whole thing seemed by the numbers.

Plus the final scene with the bathroom made me feel like they either ran out of budget or time at the end.

One thing that kind of irritated me was the Misery reference at the beginning. One character goes "I'm your number one fan." I'm like, "Fairly obvious, but ok..." and then later on the wife goes "How about Annie Wilkes over there?" Seriously? It's like having a character go "Heeeere's Johnny!" and then someone else goes "Oh look, Jack Nicholson from The Shining!" Get what I mean? It's a small detail but it's stuff like that makes you wonder how they view their audience if they have to explain something that obvious.

Bryant Burnette
08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah, I totally get what you mean. It's a joke that isn't funny; you're supposed to laugh simply because you recognize it as a joke.

pathoftheturtle
08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I was indeed poking fun at his misuse of a word, but that had nothing to do with him being from France.He mocked you for being curt when you were being curt. You reacted by mocking him for not being quite as good with his second language as you are with your first. It's a dick move. Simple as that.

Bryant Burnette
08-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I was indeed poking fun at his misuse of a word, but that had nothing to do with him being from France.He mocked you for being curt when you were being curt. You reacted by mocking him for not being quite as good with his second language as you are with your first. It's a dick move. Simple as that.

Mock me, I mock you. That's how it works. I don't give a fuck what language you normally speak/use.

That said, in this instance, I didn't know the dude was using a second language. That probably says something good about how well he uses a second language; he certainly does it better than I'd be capable of doing, and better than a lot of people use their own first language.

Either way, what's it to you? I'm sure he's more than capable of defending himself if he feels defense is required, so howsabout you mind your own fuckin' business?

herbertwest
08-05-2013, 12:35 AM
No need to be vulgar. I understood your tease when i used "elaborated" (and still dont see why it wasnt used appropriately), but didnt bother answering.
Anyway...

Bryant Burnette
08-05-2013, 03:26 AM
No need to be vulgar. I understood your tease when i used "elaborated" (and still dont see why it wasnt used appropriately), but didnt bother answering.
Anyway...

First of all, apologies: no anti-French sentiment of any sort was implied. I didn't notice you were from France, but even if I had, you write English so well (this one word notwithstanding) that I probably would have assumed you were an English-speaker living abroad. Making fun of somebody's "accent" didn't enter into my thinking in any way, and I don't quite know why pathoftheturtle jumped to that conclusion.

Secondly, since it sounds like you won't mind me telling you, using "elaborated" as an adjective in that context is incorrect. You would use "elaborated" as a verb (for example, "he elaborated on his opinion"), but the adjectival form you were looking for was "elaborate." English is a stupid, confusing language.

Thirdly, as for the vulgarity...we all read Stephen King, so I figured a few "fuck"s and "shit"s wouldn't hurt anyone's eyes.

pathoftheturtle
08-05-2013, 04:37 AM
I was disappointed, but I think that with another night and more money it could have been really good. It would be very difficult, IMO, to make Bag of Bones feature length. Maybe around 3 hours, if anyone wanted to watch that. But a lot of SK's work is deceptively tricky to adapt, actually. This is far from being the worst ever made.