PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Jake Chambers
07-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I got this from IGN. I figured you peeps would be interested...

IGN has exclusively learned that J.J. Abrams is poised to direct The Dark Tower, based on the Stephen King literary series. Abrams' production company Bad Robot had "no comment" on the matter.

Sources advised us that an official announcement is forthcoming. We have been unable to determine whether Dark Tower will be a film project or a TV miniseries, although the latter is a more likely prospect given the complex nature of King's seven-book series. Given Abrams' success on the small screen -- and King's well known love for the Abrams-produced TV series Lost -- the tube seems a better fit for The Dark Tower. That said, IGN now has reason to believe the project will be for the big-screen.

Sources also added that Abrams is indeed only producing Star Trek XI. It was recently reported that Abrams would not direct Trek XI, as many had assumed, but would instead turn his attention to a secret Paramount project titled Cloverfield. Might Cloverfield be a codename for The Dark Tower? Or a completely separate project?

ZoNeSeeK
07-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah its another pipeline idea - it could be something we could see in 2 years or in 5 or 10, depending on what other projects are in the works. But its encouraging to know that an established director of a show like Lost is keen to tackle it, I can't wait for an official announcement though!

fernandito
07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
I can't wait for an official announcement though!

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5543/jjonahvw4.jpg

[Sorry Josh, I couldn't help it :lol: :rofl: ]

Matt
07-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Welcome to the site Jake Chambers and thanks for the info :D

ZoNeSeeK
07-10-2007, 02:28 AM
Nando: :|

Thats me not smiling. Ever. Good one.

fernandito
07-10-2007, 07:34 AM
shut up bitch, you know that shit was funny. :)

Cuthbert Allbad
07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Just thinking about a Dark Tower movie has me engorged. I'm gonna pass out from lack of blood to the brain!!!

I just hope that if and when the movie is done, it isn't some piece of shit.
Hope it is given the production it deserves much like Lord Of The Rings!!

FYI.....Compared to Roland, Frodo ain't sh*t!!

ErinPatricia
07-10-2007, 11:40 AM
The thought of a DT movie/miniseries thrills me and terrifies me at the same time.

Such potential to be done badly....
lol

sarah
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
The idea that they will really do a movie frightens me. I'm so scared they'll fuck it up and I'll be heart broken. Plus, they will never be able to get Jake right as they can't make 7 movies fast enough before the actor gets too old. I fear many jakes with the same Roland, Susannah, and Eddie will freak me out too much. I'm in a panic just typing this post. :lol:

ZoNeSeeK
07-11-2007, 12:15 AM
It would be a very expensive series but I think could only be done accurately AS a tv series.

Im just praying that it wont be another carinvale and have its finances ripped out 1/3 of the way in. I dont think I could survive that happening again.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Or like Firefly.Good script, good acting, killed before its time.

I'm torn on this one. I'd love to see a miniseries or maybe 2 or 3 movies, but damn, they could really fuck it up. *crosses fingers* Maybe it will all work out.

Letti
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Would you like to see this series as a movie at all?
For my part I wouldn't.

Matt
07-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I think it could be done well in like a "300" type format so the magic and fantasy would translate.

Nothing takes away from the books for me so I am all for it

Letti
07-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Nothing takes away from the books for me so I am all for it

Oh yes, good point. :D

Daghain
07-11-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm one of those people who gets really ticked off if the movie doesn't follow the book - I don't mean every detail, but if a character is supposed to be a brunette and you hire a blond - pisses me right off.

Oh, and serious deviations from the script - hate that too. :angry:

That's my worry with trying to make a movie or miniseries from these books - there is so much content, it would be hard to pick and choose what to include.

I think the best thing would be a seven episode miniseries, one for each book.

Matt
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Like Lonesome Dove...

"can I get a poke?"

:lol:

MonteGss
07-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Off topic I know. FIREFLY rules! :)

Ruki
07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
It would be a very expensive series but I think could only be done accurately AS a tv series.

Im just praying that it wont be another carinvale and have its finances ripped out 1/3 of the way in. I dont think I could survive that happening again.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/smiliewhore/sad/console.gif if that happened at least we already know how the series ends, totally not like carnivale at all (die hbo). and people who don't know would be able to read and find out. i'd almost rather have it happen that way, i'd be thrilled if they'd just do then gunslinger then make everyone who wants to know more read the series.

i'm a little worried i'll get all pissed off and throw bricks at the screen, but i'm looking forward to seeing a dark tower movie and i'll probably be able to enjoy it even if eddie is a drunk and detta walker doesn't exist. i haven't found a stephen king movie i don't like so far, when they totally fuck up my favorites i end up laughing about how wrong everything was. i really hope that doesn't happen this time but if it does i'll live, it ain't like they can change my books.

ZoNeSeeK
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I think it could be done well in like a "300" type format

If The Dark Tower was done in a "300" type format, Roland would be the Gay Cowboy from the Village People with a heavy chinese accent, Susannah would randomly break out into some erotic pole dancing and the entire film would be shot in some dark grey-light-grey-brown-nondescript environment, and after 4 long hours of slow motioned (and fake) violence, Roland would have just left Tull.

:)

Nando: Oh Diem gave me some wonderful news yesterday - 300 is apparently the new gay icon movie. Congratulations :)

Daghain
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Off topic I know. FIREFLY rules!

OT again, but did you see the MOVIE??? Not much chance of a comeback there!

I could kill DBF. He let me sit through the DVDs of the whole series, THEN, when I asked when the next season would be out, told me it was cancelled.

He is lucky to still have his manhood intact. :)

Oh, and thanks to those who posted about Carnivale. I was THISCLOSE to purchasing the DVDs (it looked really interesting) but if they cancelled it mid-run, then I guess I dodged a bullet there. :)

Why, why, WHY do the good shows always get canned, and yet we get to enjoy such drivel as About Jim and The Simple Life?

Pisses me right off. :angry:

OchrisO
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
It still makes me want to destroy the entire world when I think about how they ended Carnivale. It was such an amazing show, and HBO didn't even say they cancelled it. They said taht the story was told, which is absolute bullshit.

The Dark Tower would be best as an HBO miniseries, but only if HBO is willing to see it through.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
See, I think that's going to be the major problem. Funding the whole thing.

You know how the industry is. See how much $$$ the first one makes, THEN decide to do more.

You can't do that with this series, IMHO. It's all or nothing, and ratings be damnded.

Again, fingers crossed over here, but not much optimism. :(

ZoNeSeeK
07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Its because teenagers spend more money on utter shit than adults do, as adults have bills and mortgages and families etc. Shows are driven by what can be advertised DURING them.

ZoNeSeeK
07-11-2007, 09:49 PM
It still makes me want to destroy the entire world when I think about how they ended Carnivale. It was such an amazing show, and HBO didn't even say they cancelled it. They said taht the story was told, which is absolute bullshit.

The Dark Tower would be best as an HBO miniseries, but only if HBO is willing to see it through.

Carnivale is supposed to be six seasons, they're all written and edited and ready to go.

Brice
07-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Would you like to see this series as a movie at all?
For my part I wouldn't.

I also prefer the movie not be made, but they will make it anyway. :(

I can only see one director pulling off the feel and tone of the story well enough that I won't want to hunt him down and kill him for ruining it. Although, as has already been said; they can't ruin the books.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Yanno, the more I think about it the more I agree with that. Leave it alone, already. You can't do it justice. :)

It would take a total tower freak to do it even halfway right.

Brice
07-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Yanno, the more I think about it the more I agree with that. Leave it alone, already. You can't do it justice. :)

Actually, the person I'd have in mind for doing it....I have no idea if they know of The Dark Tower at all.

OchrisO
07-11-2007, 10:13 PM

Carnivale is supposed to be six seasons, they're all written and edited and ready to go.

Yeah, and HBO are dirty, dirty liars. The whole thing makes me angry.

HBO is doing a series of Vertigo's Preacher comics. The guy who did Daredevil is doing it, but he has wisened up a bit, and he went in to the HBO people and put down the stack of Preacher comics and basically said "Here, this is my script, each one is an episode." That makes me happy, and after I see how they handle Preacher, I will make a final verdict on wetehr or not I would like to see them do The Dark Tower.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
So who do you have in mind, Brice?

I think JJ Abrams has the rights, so we're at his mercy at the moment.

Brice
07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
So who do you have in mind, Brice?

I think JJ Abrams has the rights, so we're at his mercy at the moment.

I know we are. :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you haven't seen it go rent or just buy a movie called Dust Devil. That guy ( I forget his name but it is the same guy who did Hardwire) should be making IMO.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Never heard of that one. I'll have to go see. :D

Brice
07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
You definitely should. It's an amazing film.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Hmm. Maybe when I get done with school (TWO WEEKS, PEOPLE!!! VIRTUAL PARTY ON THE WAY! GATHER UP YOUR ALCOHOL OF CHOICE!!!) I had better join Netflix so I can catch up.

OT, but has anyone seen 11:14? If not, do. Weird, creepy, and darkly funny as all hell. A freebie on IFC for me (I LOVE MY DVR!!!)

fernandito
07-11-2007, 10:34 PM

If The Dark Tower was done in a "300" type format, Roland would be the Gay Cowboy from the Village People with a heavy chinese accent, Susannah would randomly break out into some erotic pole dancing and the entire film would be shot in some dark grey-light-grey-brown-nondescript environment, and after 4 long hours of slow motioned (and fake) violence, Roland would have just left Tull.

Nando: Oh Diem gave me some wonderful news yesterday - 300 is apparently the new gay icon movie. Congratulations :)

Oh shut up. If you tell me that the idea of Roland going through the Tull scene a la' 300 doesn't give you wood then you're a damn filthy liar!

Daghain
07-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Do you boys need to be alone? LOL. :rofl:

Brice
07-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Hmm. Maybe when I get done with school (TWO WEEKS, PEOPLE!!! VIRTUAL PARTY ON THE WAY! GATHER UP YOUR ALCOHOL OF CHOICE!!!) I had better join Netflix so I can catch up.

OT, but has anyone seen 11:14? If not, do. Weird, creepy, and darkly funny as all hell. A freebie on IFC for me (I LOVE MY DVR!!!)

I've never seen it. I may have to see if I can find it.

Congrats on finishing school. :rock:

No, you should go to the video store right this minute. Break in if you must. It is THAT good.

fernandito
07-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Brice, Roland going through Tull in a 300-like fashion, yay or nay?

Daghain
07-11-2007, 10:39 PM
LOL wish I could but I have to write a half-assed 2100 word paper on what ongoing learning means to me.

Anyone else have their BS meter set to HIGH? Ummm, hey, stupid prof, I have an ENGLISH DEGREE!!! Yes, I can BS you in ways you have not yet imagined!!!

What a waste of time and money. I am seriously pissed. This will be the ONE TIME I actually write comments in the class survey form (not that they'll listen, but I will feel better).

Brice
07-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Brice, Roland going through Tull in a 300-like fashion, yay or nay?

I am going to make you very sad by saying this, but:

1) I haven't seen 300.

2) The only way I'm likely to is if it's free (i.e. my roommate buys it) as it's just not my type of film.

Edit: Are you familiar with the film I mentioned? I know how you know and love movies.

ZoNeSeeK
07-12-2007, 12:51 AM
FP: I still love you anyway, despite the magnitude of faults.

Matt
07-12-2007, 06:01 AM

:rofl:

Those Spartans liked their men.

Maybe Final Fantasy is a better example

fernandito
07-12-2007, 07:23 AM
I know you do josh, I know you do. ;) (Not in a brokeback mountain way though, right? :P )

Brice - is that the one with that shapeshifting dude?

Darkthoughts
07-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm not really down with DT being made into a movie or a tv series - although I'd pick movie format for WaG and WotC - I think they'd both translate very well to film...I just don't want to see it happen :P

On the plus side, JJ Abrams has tremendous respect for SK and is a towerjunkie so, theres hope at least...

Chassit
07-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Truer words have never been spoken.

XIX

ZoNeSeeK
07-12-2007, 07:34 PM
FP: only if you've washed vigorously

fernandito
07-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Frunobulax
07-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Please fall through deals.....
A DT film would probably not be very good, IMO. Sorry for the pessimism.

fernandito
07-13-2007, 06:49 AM
But you would still go watch it though, right? :)

Brice
07-13-2007, 07:29 AM
I know you do josh, I know you do. ;) (Not in a brokeback mountain way though, right? :P )

Brice - is that the one with that shapeshifting dude?

Yes, I believe you're thinking of the same one I am. What did you think of it?

Hannah
07-13-2007, 07:54 AM
LOL wish I could but I have to write a half-assed 2100 word paper on what ongoing learning means to me.

Anyone else have their BS meter set to HIGH? Ummm, hey, stupid prof, I have an ENGLISH DEGREE!!! Yes, I can BS you in ways you have not yet imagined!!!

What a waste of time and money. I am seriously pissed. This will be the ONE TIME I actually write comments in the class survey form (not that they'll listen, but I will feel better).

I have a feeling we're attending the same school. :ninja:

I'd really love to see the series be made into movies. To solve the Jake problem: genetically engineer twin blondie boys. Plant each one into a surrogate three-five years apart. Problem solved. There's an older jake and a younger jake and they're ready to go. It's not creepy and weird if it's done for art, right?

I guess I'd be ok with a mini-series if (like everyone else has said) there was a solid commitment to see the whole series through to the "end".

Frunobulax
07-13-2007, 08:04 PM
But you would still go watch it though, right? :)

Probably maybe yes.

Cuthbert Allbad
07-14-2007, 08:11 AM

I'm torn on this one. I'd love to see a miniseries or maybe 2 or 3 movies, but damn, they could really fuck it up. *crosses fingers* Maybe it will all work out.

Several movies would be nice. After all, it's working for Harry Potter. Don't know how fans would feel about waiting 3 years for each part to be shown in theatres. At that rate, i'd be 65 years old by the time book 7 comes out on film.

I get nervous when i think of a tv mini-series. After all, look at Kingdom Hospital or Golden Years. They sucked. Plus just the scope of the story is soooo large it was made for the big screen.

I'm sure that much of the books would have to be slimed down for a film but i hope that whoever writes it, they'll keep it tight and seamless.

Frunobulax
07-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, if it does suck, expect some MST3K action.

Cuthbert Allbad
07-15-2007, 02:09 PM

God i hate showing my ignorance, but what is MST3K?

jhanic
07-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I was wondering too!

John

Brice
07-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I think he may have been referring to Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I am not sure though.

Daghain
07-15-2007, 10:38 PM
LOL Hannah, UOP???

If you did a miniseries, that would solve the Jake problem. If you do it as a film, you're going to run into the same problem as the Harry Potter flicks - the kids are getting too old to play teenagers. :)

Hannah
07-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I knew it. I'm taking my capstone class now. :lol: It's nice to look forward to writing a crappy paper and doing crappy presentations for the last time. :)

Daghain
07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
This is too funny. One more week. Seven more days.

If I don't kill this twit I have for a prof by then, I'll graduate. :lol:

Daghain
07-16-2007, 11:11 AM

Oh, we are totally doing that if it sucks. And filming it. :rofl:

ZoNeSeeK
07-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah, the jake problem .. well if they shot all of Jake's scenes within 24 months .. if he was 11 at the start and 13 at the end, with blonde hair & features he should hopefully look like he's aged a little but not a huge amount (which you would want for the later chapters of the story anyway). Boys dont start broadening across and growing upward until 13-14 usually.

Matt
07-25-2007, 06:49 AM
And seriously, is there any way to know how much time passed between say Wastelands and The Dark Tower.

SK gave the impression they were on the road for years at a few points :lol:

Not to mention the "time being soft" thing.

Frunobulax
07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I think he may have been referring to Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I am not sure though.

Indeed I was.

And Dag, I'm down for that. Dibs on Servo!

Daghain
07-25-2007, 06:03 PM
LOL You bet!

ZoNeSeeK
08-20-2007, 03:33 PM
King officially confirms JJ Abrams to direct Dark Tower (http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/26/stephen-king-confirms-the-dark-tower-movie/)

fernandito
08-20-2007, 07:50 PM
That really has been the talk of the day, hasn't it?

ZoNeSeeK
08-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Oh yes, positively thunderous response.

Matt
08-21-2007, 04:16 AM

I have had my head buried in a wiki. A series of movies would be a great thing for fans and a great thing for us :rock:

I think its just because the movie is in its beginning stages

Daghain
08-21-2007, 06:25 AM
I'm curious to see what they come up with. :)

fernandito
08-21-2007, 07:53 AM
I just want to see Roland kill, kill, kill, kill, kill!! :)

Erin
08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Wow I'm actually really excited about this! I really think JJ Abrams can do a good job with this since he is a huge fan of the books.

Of course it will never ever be as good as the novels, but I'm staying positive about this right now.

MonteGss
08-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I wonder how "supernatural" he would make Roland seem, in terms of gunslinging. King has said on a couple occasions that he draws with almost super, blazing speed. I wonder if JJ would use special affects for this tiny aspect or if he would just leave it to the actor?

Darkthoughts
08-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm nervous and excited...I don't think I really want it to happen, but I won't be able to help looking when they get it together.

Matt
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
If they are going to CGI anything, I hope its Roland's draw. That has got to be of amazing speed to make the story work I think.

fernandito
08-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I wonder what Star Wars purists will say when the wolves bust out with the light sabers :lol:

Darkthoughts
08-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Before or after they wet their pants? :lol:

Daghain
08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm sure they will have to CGI a ton of stuff. :)

ZoNeSeeK
08-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Im very keen to see how they're going to break the story up

fernandito
08-21-2007, 05:09 PM
That's the part that worries me. Will they do a movie for each book? Group some of the books together? What about the eternal actor-aging problem?

ZoNeSeeK
08-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Well it would make sense to shoot the entire series first, and then release the films.

Probably group 1 + 2 together, 3, 4 + 5 and 6 + 7 or something .. even though the W&G story is cool, i dont know if its something that they would dedicate an entire movie to considering the break in momentum. Probably end up flashing back to key parts of it over the whole series perhaps?

MonteGss
08-21-2007, 08:41 PM
The light sabers will be cool! :) I also agree that with not needing Wizard and Glass as part of the movie. Perhaps as flashbacks throughout the series...at most. Movie One should be DT1 & DT2, Movie Two is for DT3 & DT5 and Movie Three for DT6 & 7...maybe? As long as they don't do that "it has to be only two hours" bullshit like the HP directors do. :)

ZoNeSeeK
08-21-2007, 10:44 PM
I guess you could fit DT3 and 5 into one film .. I would probably have the fight with Shardik at the end of the 1 + 2 combination though, as like the climax.

MonteGss
08-22-2007, 07:13 AM
That is a real good idea Zone!

Matt
08-22-2007, 07:15 AM
I agree, they should approach it unconventionally that way. I don't mind if a couple of books are put together in the movies for flow.

And I agree all of Wizard and Glass could be flash backs. Perhaps while Roland is going crazy from the Jake paradox. Fevered dreams and such.

fernandito
08-22-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't agree with the W&G-flashback suggestion...I think that part is too important in the story to be shown only in flashbacks. I also keep wondering what actor could give a young Roland justice.

MonteGss
08-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Feev, you think it would be important for a movie audience? I think it is relatively important to the DT story too but for a movie...Susan, Mejis and the Rainbow could be simply covered in flashbacks, imo. :)

fernandito
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Well, all the events in Tull could be covered in flashbacks too...would you like if they skipped that part? :P

Darkthoughts
08-22-2007, 08:30 AM
I think WaG would make a good film all in itself (the flashback part) - although I always considered the events in Mejis to be a catalyst for Rolands' detachment from all others he meets in the future.

MonteGss
08-22-2007, 08:45 AM
I can see both of your points. Tull could absolutely be told in flashbacks (seeing that it is told that way in the book). I think certain parts of Wizard and Glass are important but if it were to be a full movie, I would be too afraid of a crappy, sappy love story movie. In movie terms, I just don't believe his "relationship" with Susan is important enough to justify more than flashbacks. Then again, who am I? :)

fernandito
08-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Hmm, you have a point there good sir. Please the die hard DT fans or make something that will appeal to the casual movie goer?

Daghain
08-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Well, people want to make money, so I would think you'd have to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. I totally think W&G could be in flashbacks - and I too am afraid of it being overly sappy. :)

ZoNeSeeK
08-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Doing W&G as a standalone film would kill the franchise, I think, regardless of what DT fans would want. Unless you're willing to pay $200 to see the movie, which I wouldnt.

Like in harry potter, you find out more about Harry's parents and their friends and what happened as the series progresses, and it works very well. If the screenplay for DT was done just right, the audience could be tracking Roland's past and being fed more information about how everything came to be as the katet is getting closer to the tower. Breaking the momentum between Blaine and the Calla would be suicide.

Daghain
08-22-2007, 04:27 PM
I totally agree with that. :)

fernandito
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Well done sir. Fuck it, you convinced me. :)

Darkthoughts
08-23-2007, 05:53 AM
:D I didn't mean that WaG should be an entire film as part of the DT set - I just meant, its a self contained story that could be made into a film thats totally unrelated to the rest of DT, if you see what I mean. But yes, it would be a very sappy love story - that Titanic guy would be all over it I'm sure...cheeseball!! :lol:

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Doing W&G as a standalone film would kill the franchise, I think, regardless of what DT fans would want. Unless you're willing to pay $200 to see the movie, which I wouldnt.

Like in harry potter, you find out more about Harry's parents and their friends and what happened as the series progresses, and it works very well. If the screenplay for DT was done just right, the audience could be tracking Roland's past and being fed more information about how everything came to be as the katet is getting closer to the tower. Breaking the momentum between Blaine and the Calla would be suicide.

So you're saying that having a two hour XXX segment with Roland and Susan doing every position in the Kama Sutra and some they invented, would not be a good move for the franchise??

Frunobulax
08-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Because of the relative unknown status of DT against most King books, WaG will probably be lumped into the entire series as flashbacks or glazed over as part of a Book 3-5 movie. The only way to do this film properly would be Books 1 & 2, 3-5 (for the major arc movement leading up to) 6 & 7.

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Because of the relative unknown status of DT against most King books, WaG will probably be lumped into the entire series as flashbacks or glazed over as part of a Book 3-5 movie. The only way to do this film properly would be Books 1 & 2, 3-5 (for the major arc movement leading up to) 6 & 7.

I agree Fruno! Good to see you here. :)

Frunobulax
08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Monte. I finally have free time to spend here this remainder of the week. Although I'll be leaving around 2.00 [15 minutes].

fernandito
08-23-2007, 02:18 PM

So you're saying that having a two hour XXX segment with Roland and Susan doing every position in the Kama Sutra and some they invented, would not be a good move for the franchise??

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ZoNeSeeK
08-23-2007, 07:45 PM

Are the pages of your DT4 stuck together? :)

Frunobulax
08-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I think AllHail needs an arc welder to undo those pages, Zone.

Mattrick
08-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Movie One should cover The Gunslinger and up until the final door on the beach. I don't think the Gunslinger has enough to carry a whole movie. I know many people get hooked after book 2 anyways.

Movie Two could cover all the Wastelands. I think there are enough actiony scenes and parts that could be longer in this movie. The last hour could all be set in Lud. End it as they get on Blaine.

Movie Three could cover Blaine, the road through Kansas, the backstory (have the backstory told in segments through this movie) and end it after they meet Callahan and Co while camping by Calla Brynn Sturgis.

Movie Four could cover all of Wolves of the Calla up until they're sucked through the unfound door.

Movie Five would cover Song of Susannah and the first hundred pages or so of Book Seven (after Mordred escapes).

Movie Six could cover the rest of book Seven.

I think doing it any less than this would be rushed. The movies cannot be done book by book so it would have to be mixed. I think board Blaine, metting Flagg, Going through the Unfound door and Mordreds birth are all good hanging points.

fernandito
08-24-2007, 10:30 AM
I can already imagine myself sitting in the theatre watching that fugly little bastard come out of the womb.

Frunobulax
08-24-2007, 11:19 AM
All California junkies have to have a mass viewing when this movie comes out, whaddaya say fp?

And I think 6 movies might be overkill for the basic movie person. Star Wars doesn't count.

Darkthoughts
08-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I dunno...I quite liked Mattrick's plan...but in the long run for me, it'll depend on the casting as to whether or not I watch it.

Daghain
08-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh, I'll watch it...I just hope I like it. :)

fernandito
08-24-2007, 01:30 PM
All California junkies have to have a mass viewing when this movie comes out, whaddaya say fp?

I think thats a bloody brilliant idea Frun..can I invite MJ? :) Midnight showing ahoy!

Frunobulax
08-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Feel free, fp! I can snag Chasing Dragons easy.

Mattrick
08-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I dunno...I quite liked Mattrick's plan...but in the long run for me, it'll depend on the casting as to whether or not I watch it.

I'm hoping that Abrahms doesn't do it. So I can get the rights to do a script and do it up (dream). What's important in a medium transfer is finding what is quintessential and what is disposable. Also, I'd throw in a lot of subtle hints (imagine seeing Jake and Roland walk away from the way station and in the background, very faint is the figure of Father Callahan). The Gunslinger could be wrapped up in 45-50 mins. There are about ten key points that have to be transferred for story purposes; Brown and telling of Tull, David/Cort, Way Station, The Oracle, Slow Mutants, Decision on Jake and Conversation with Walter.

Directing/writing this would be a dream come true for me. The Dark Tower was what made me want to write/direct in the first place.

My problem with Abrahms is his ability to direct. Dark Tower is different than what else he's done. I think it needs to be done very artisticly. Nice shots, nice use of colour and setting of the mood. King did such a good job of making the environments flushed out without going overboard. I haven't seen Lost but a television show is much different than a series. It deserves to be done perfect. Too many of kings works are slaughtered, mis-interpretted and just plain horrible. I see The Dark Tower as being very dramatic, I just hope Abrahms can convey that emotion onto film.

Darkthoughts
08-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Whoa!!! You haven't seen Lost?!!!

Mattrick - you HAVE to check it out! I get the feeling it'd be just your thing.

However, to me Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindeloff are the real brains behind Lost - If Abrams has them on board for DT too (and they too are MAJOR King fans - they met and interviewed him not long back) then it can only improve the outcome.

Mattrick
08-25-2007, 11:32 AM
When I first seen ads when it started I thought it was just some lame, cast-away rip off about people being lost on an Island. Didn't find out other wise until the end of the second season and I can't just jump in. Don't know anyone who has the DVD's either.

Darkthoughts
08-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Lots of Lost forums will give you links where you can download it. Its addictive though, so be prepared to put in some dedicated viewing :D

Mattrick
08-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Lots of Lost forums will give you links where you can download it. Its addictive though, so be prepared to put in some dedicated viewing :D

I watched Seasons 1/2 of 24 (48 episodes) in a month before season three as I'd never seen the show. Also watched the last season of Six Feet Under (approx 12 hours) mostly all in a day.

ZoNeSeeK
08-27-2007, 10:58 PM
For DT to appear on the big screen with a big budget and for it to be successful, the movie (hopefully the first of a few) not only needs to appeal to the wider audience but needs to appeal to actors to take on the script aswell. This wont be an automatic franchise, unless they decide to go with a smaller straight to dvd production, or a tv series. But even then - look what happened to Carnivale, remember? Even though King declares that he "doesnt give a shit what people have done with his movies in the past", the reputation of previous films based on his books will affect the reception of DT, and I think the reputation is mixed - theres a handful of gold and a handful of shit :)

Remember, when Peter Jackson took The Lord of the Rings (which already had universal recognition for a hundred years) to the big studios, they wanted to do it in one movie only. The success of LOTR with Newline definitely gives a big boost for the genre, and the Harry Potter juggernaut was strong enough to make that franchise massively successful. The movie world seems to be made up of sequel franchises at the moment, so that would help to an extent.

The big edge DT has over LOTR is that its not all high fantasy, which markets have historically had a hard time swallowing. The edgy futuristic side (with loads of old time guns) will make for some pretty attractive teasers I think. If its done right, it will be a success, and for it to be done right, it needs to be very visual. DT will fail if all the heart is poured into the characters and story solely as, whether we like it or not, the major major majority of the people who pay for movie tickets dont know Roland and his katet so cant care about them. Everyone knew who Frodo was.

The first movie is what will make this or kill it - theres no point in advertising it as the first dark tower movie when 99% of the world dont even have a clue what the dark tower even is. The release of the comic will definitely help this but in the meantime what they need is a popular cartoon series or an incredibly cool viral campaign over the net in the years to come before productions starts.

Darkthoughts
08-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Good point Zone! Abrams et al have already stirred up some DT interest with Lost, as from the very start of their series they proclaimed themselves hardcore King and DT fans, which led Lost theorists to get into DT looking for potential plot clues.

Theres a fair bit of DT talk on most Lost sites I've been to.

ZoNeSeeK
08-29-2007, 05:32 PM
If the island ends up being some sort of "level of the nexus of space and time" i will personally smack abrams in the face :)

Darkthoughts
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I have a feeling you may need to get yo badself on a plane to Hawaii sometime soon...:lol:

Wuducynn
08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
If the island ends up being some sort of "level of the nexus of space and time" i will personally smack abrams in the face :)

You sure do like to "smack" a lot. I find a bullet to the face to be much more effective in getting across my point.

Darkthoughts
08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
You don't do subtlety do you dear...:lol:

ZoNeSeeK
09-03-2007, 09:22 PM
a smack is far more humiliating, even compared with half your face hanging off with bits of bone and cartilege stuck in your hair.*

* Plus it can turn some people on, which may lead to sexy results.

Mattrick
09-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Smack is more addictive when you smoke it. Or is that Coke? I don't know, I'm a Pepsi fan myself. Well, just like Roy Rogers.

ZoNeSeeK
09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Smack gives me the jibber-jabbers

Matt
09-05-2007, 06:27 AM
I gives me the jimmy legs

ZoNeSeeK
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
heebie jeebies?

Frunobulax
09-06-2007, 07:41 PM
"I can't do one stick of pot, or one snort of horse, or one needle of cocaine."
-http://www.jerriblank.com/florriefisher_01.jpg

Mattrick
09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I just started watching Lost, three days ago. Never seen it. Finished it last night. I loved it. Can't wait to start watching season two.

I think The Dark Tower should be done in a Television Format, high end like Lost (Abrams can command that budget), would be more appropriate for HBO. Instead of a few movies having it set over years would make it that much more of a journey. That's what made the Dark Tower so good. Telling it all in 20 hours wouldn't do it justice. They could do 7 seasons, 12 episodes each.

Instead trying to compact a 3600 page story, this would be best.

HEY LOST/DARK TOWER CONNECTION MY GAWD!!!

In the first season we realize Walt has some kind of ability. Can sense things. Shining any one? You see him create things with his mind. He is reading a comic book of with a polar bear and one shows up. Did anyone else notice the picture in the comic book of a globe surrounded in glass except for a black tower jutting up?

The Others reminded me of the grays (or was it pubes) from Lud, who wanted to take Jake who was also strong in the touch.

The Numbers reminded me of Nineteen and I looked for clues. In the medical history of Hurley's institutionalized friend he is no. 90019. WOW. I also seen the other numbers but not grouped.

Them wanting Claire's child reminded me of Mordred and the psychic telling her only she should raise the child.

I enjoyed the series a lot. Trying to find season two online.

Matt
09-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Its amazing how many connections there are between LOST and the dt books.

You will freak at the opening of season 2 :ninja:

Turns out the writers are fans of SK and vice verse--so its a natural partnership

Mattrick
09-12-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm going to rent Season two from Blockbuster tonight, shouldn't cost me much if it's all a year old.

I love how eerie the show is. The music is great, spinetingling. Love it.

I watched the special features. Thought it was funny how most of the male cast members all auditioned for Sawyer and they guy is cast as Sawyer convinced the writers to change the character of Sawyer.

Matt
09-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Yep, that first scene on the beach in season one was some of the best TV I have ever seen.

It gets weird in season two, kind of hard to take imo but they had me hooked from "hello"

LOST is like televised crack. :lol:

ZoNeSeeK
09-12-2007, 06:54 PM
hehe, we watched the whole first season and then started the 2nd and then just stopped watching it for some reason. We do that alot :(

EXCEPT FOR CARNIVALE. YOU MOTHERFUCKERS HBO FOR DOING THAT TO US. Seriously, I would categorically state that the level of distress I felt at cutting Carnivale off when they did would be the same as if they did decide to make DT a HBO series and then cut funding after events in TDOTT.

Daghain
09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, DBF did that to me. He had me sit through all of Firefly, then, when I asked, "When does the next season start?" he said, "It's been cancelled."

I so wanted to kill him. :lol:

Erin
09-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Oh the injustice that was HBO cancelling Carnivale! :shakefist: Damn you HBO!

But in a perfect world, I too, would want to see The Dark Tower done as an HBO televised series over several years. That would rock.

Wuducynn
09-12-2007, 09:37 PM
I heard that folks in Carnivale drank my favorite soda Moxie. :cool:

Mattrick
09-12-2007, 10:13 PM
hehe, we watched the whole first season and then started the 2nd and then just stopped watching it for some reason. We do that alot :(

EXCEPT FOR CARNIVALE. YOU MOTHERFUCKERS HBO FOR DOING THAT TO US. Seriously, I would categorically state that the level of distress I felt at cutting Carnivale off when they did would be the same as if they did decide to make DT a HBO series and then cut funding after events in TDOTT.

Um, you stop watching Lost in the midst of the second season (something you say you do often) and you wonder why Carnivale got cancelled. Never got a chance to watch Carnivale and I guess there is no point on starting.

I agree, Lost is like televised crack. I went into Blockbuster today and all of Season Two was available for rent, got the whole season rented for 16 dollars (including tax) and am already done the first four episodes. I reckon I'll polish off a few more tonight. This season had already taken a shift in direction but I figured everything as going to anyways.

Hopefully when and if a DT movie/series/mini-series gets made that it doesn't suck. I'm sure Stephen King would have a clause on his contract where if he feels the work isn't to his standard he can forgo his agreement. He's allowed so much of his stuff to become hack work that for this to be desicrated would be a travesty.

ZoNeSeeK
09-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I read one of the letters adressing the fans @ savecarnivale.com and its nice to know that so many HBO execs and management people fought for along time to try and keep Carnivale but in the end it was our fault, as there werent enough of us to justify an expensive flagship program. I feel expecially bad, because i didnt watch it when it was on TV, i got into it when the 2nd season was filming. But bought the whole lot on DVD which made up for that I hope.

Yeah, I think DT would rock as a multi-season series too .. if it was done right, which it could be. Over 3 seasons, say? You could really flesh out the backstory, even have that shown chronologically, so the famous first line of the series would be the start of the 2nd season, perhaps. That would be awesome - in fact, it would probably work so much better given the complex nature of the plot and the way the story moves forward and back in time. Banging people on the head with a few long epic movies mightnt work so well.

Theres a shitload of speculation running around the net at the moment, Abrams is a big drawcard too.

chuxter
09-13-2007, 08:10 AM
BTW, when does the new season of LOST start?

OchrisO
09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Not until the beginning of 2008. :\

chuxter
09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I'll be there!

Matt
09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Seriously!! We are going to tie one on major that night

Last season ended with a bang

Darkthoughts
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
February 2008 apparently. If you miss Lost you should download the official podcasts (I get 'em off itunes) they are hilarious!! Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse do them, seriously funny guys - theres often cast interviews, then they disect the previous episode and preview the next one - they also answer fan questions. If you're into theorizing you can get alot out of it, they categorically deny or confirm some of the main theories out there.

Patrick
09-16-2007, 03:17 PM
We just started watching "Lost" this summer. Rented the first two seasons. Had to pay to download a decent version of the Season 3 opener.

I really don't want to download all the episodes of Season 3, but they're not releasing the DVDs until early December. Bastards.

On-topic: I like the idea that DT should be a limited multi-season series. That would rock.

Mattrick
09-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I think DT would rock as a multi-season series too .. if it was done right, which it could be. Over 3 seasons, say? You could really flesh out the backstory, even have that shown chronologically, so the famous first line of the series would be the start of the 2nd season, perhaps. That would be awesome - in fact, it would probably work so much better given the complex nature of the plot and the way the story moves forward and back in time. Banging people on the head with a few long epic movies mightnt work so well.

I think it would be best to show the present story and the backstory at the same time. Clips here and there fleshing out all the characters backstories.

Storyslinger
09-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Mattrick~ that would kick
I personally think King should Take on this project, he needs to touch more on Roland's past with his first ka-tet and his time between the end of dt4 and dt1

MonteGss
09-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I think the multi-season series could really work too. I would be afraid of what sort of budget it would have though. Let's face it, TV producers/companies, etc (yes, even HBO) are cheap and DT would need to have some money for the special effects to be done with some justice. However, if they had the money, it would absolutely rock in this form. :)

ZoNeSeeK
09-17-2007, 07:54 PM

I think it would be best to show the present story and the backstory at the same time. Clips here and there fleshing out all the characters backstories.

Like how they structure each lost episode?

Mattrick
09-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Yes, to a degree. They don't even need to have important point for all episodes. I think it should be told sporadically depending on what is going on in the episode. The first season would contain much of the same backstory that is touched upon in 'The Gunslinger' except elaborated. They'd have to do it in their own style.

I figure they would have to extend and re-work sections of the book for television and would have oppourtities to explain things thoroughly.

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Agreed

Matt
09-18-2007, 06:42 AM
We should all come together and try to write a screenplay for it.

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 06:53 AM
I'm game

Mike Beck
09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I'm sick about Carnivale being cut. I watched that junk from day one, and even though we didn't know where it was going for awhile, it started to all pay off in season 2, and just as things were building up, BAM. Peace. Carnivale is RIP.

It was Dale Cooper looking in the mirror all over again. :(

I would love to see a DT series no HBO or Showtime. It can't be on basic cable stations like lost. (I love Lost. Let the final 48 begin!)

Arthur Heath
09-18-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't think I agree with the television format, although I will say that the Stand was very well done and enjoyed it very much. The TV series is as epic as the book was. And I think thats the key, being EPIC. So if and when this movie is done it needs to be a trilogy, much like LOTR - two and a half three hours long each. If it's going to be a single movie I just cant imagine it working out and being decent.

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Right, I see your point. But it would be seven, instead of three?

Letti
09-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Three?
Way too short if you ask me.

Daghain
09-18-2007, 09:37 AM
I think you could probably do it in 4, but they would have to be 3 - 3 1/2 hours each.

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I would personally like to see it in the 7 movie-7 book format
I wouldn't be able to get enough, so I'd want long movies
thats just me though

Arthur Heath
09-18-2007, 09:46 AM
7 would be a feat. Thats a project. Not a lot of people can take that on. I hear what your saying, it would be nice as nothing would be missed, hopefully.

Letti
09-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I am with you, Storyslinger. 7 books 7 movies.
But for my part I don't think I would like to see it as a movie at all.
But... if ever it's going to become a movie I wouldn't like to see the most important details and parts fall into Todash because of the short time.

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 09:47 AM
I'll do it
Who has a couple billion dollars they want to loan me

Letti~ thanks for the support:D

Letti
09-18-2007, 09:47 AM
7 would be a feat. Thats a project. Not a lot of people can take that on. I hear what your saying, it would be nice as nothing would be missed, hopefully.
Look.
What about HP?

Daghain
09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
They haven't done all 7 HP movies yet, and if they don't get on it soon Daniel Radcliffe will be old enough to retire. :lol:

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Naaa, they'll just cryogenically freeze him :D

Arthur Heath
09-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Daghain is exactly right. They are only on 5 (? I stopped at 3) so far and a lot can happen. I didn't say it cant be done, just that not many can do it. Thats a huge commitment to the utmost.

Arthur Heath
09-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Him and Walt Disney eh Storyslinger....?

MonteGss
09-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I think the HP actors look the ages they play. Can you seriously see the difference between a 15 year old and almost 17 year old? Puh-lease! :)

Seven Dark Tower movies would be the shit! Oh, I can loan you that billion Storyslinger....as long as I get final say on cuts and edits. :)

sarah
09-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Harry Potter is all signed and in preproduction. half blood comes out 11/o8 and deathly hallows comes out in 2010.

The hardest part about doing the dark tower movie in seven movies, imo, is jake. and if they don't get jake right, i will freak out.

just fyi.

Arthur Heath
Plus, DT has no where near the world wide hype that HP does. Each book can support a movie because of it's unbelievably large fan base.

MonteGss
Yeah, Jake would be hard...in that case, they would have to freeze him to not age so much. :)

Mattrick
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
We should all come together and try to write a screenplay for it.

I've already started. 'the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed''. Nah, that is shit. Walter ran from Roland and he followed across the desert makes more sense.

The only reason why Harry Potter is a movie for every book is because it's a world-wide phenomenom which is GUARANTEED to make the studios lots of money. While the Dark Tower's fan-base is strong it is still limited. Especially now with the release of book seven and two more movies to come out Harry Potter fans still have something new to look forward to for at least three or four years. I can't believe they're pumping out these movies as fast as they are.

sarah
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I think they could do two movies out of books 4,5,&6 if they hooked it just right.

but, personally, i would never like the books made into a movie.

I think they should do it as a computer animation.

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Skolpadda~YES:D
MonteGss~Of course, I sent you my bank account #

Daghain
09-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Skol has it - DT doesn't have NEAR the fan base HP does, which would make it hard to get 7 movies out there and make money, which, of course, is the desired result. :D

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 10:10 AM
True, it isn't as wide based, but you have to admit, DT fans are pretty hardcore, I mean, look at us

Daghain
09-18-2007, 10:22 AM
You won't get an argument from me about that! :lol:

MonteGss
09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
True, it isn't as wide based, but you have to admit, DT fans are pretty hardcore, I mean, look at us

I agree with you to an extent here Storyslinger. Though Firefly had some pretty serious, hardcore fans and were able to get a movie made after the show being canceled. The movie "failed" partly because the hardcore fans are not enough to keep a franchise/idea going. You have to be able to pull more people in.

al'Lan Mandragoran
09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Hmm... I brought this up with a friend, and he agreed with the idea of a series, but he thought it should be put in a anime format, mostly because he's insane about that kind of stuff. What do you all think?

Matt
09-18-2007, 10:46 AM
That was my vote in the poll. Not exactly anime but certainly some kind of "resident evil" or "300" format

Letti
09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
What about the timeline guys?
Would you prefer the way you can see it in the books (we can meet Roland's past just in the 4th book) or would you prefer it the way we can see it in the comics, from the beginning?

Matt
09-18-2007, 11:35 AM
For me, I believe it would need to start at the beginning. Possibly with some cuttie "chassit" scenes with Gabrielle

Daghain
09-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I'd stick to the same order as the books. I do think W&G could be woven into the others, though. Not sure I want to see a whole movie based on that one - I think it would be better as flashbacks.

Matt
09-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Oh yeah, totally. From the beginning but not a lot of focus on it.

Letti
09-18-2007, 11:41 AM
I can imagine the beginning of the movie only in the desert with the gunslinger as he is following the Man in Black.
I miss it so so so much from the comics, too.

Daghain
09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I would totally want the desert scene to be the first. That would totally rock. :D

Matt
09-18-2007, 11:44 AM
So you guys thinking all of 4 could be done in flashbacks from the desert--I could sign on for that.

Daghain
09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
It probably could. I just think the first scene has to be Roland following the Man in Black through the desert. :D

Mike Beck
09-18-2007, 11:47 AM
It should be the exact same time line as the books, i think.

I would prefer a series similar to carnivale. any of those HBO series, actually. 1 season per book. the actors wouldn't age that much. 7 years. They've done the Sopranos for that long without the characters seeming to change that much.

Or I'm a fan of the animated deal as well. Something along the lines of either the cg of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, or a traditional animation style similar to Aeon Flux.

Letti
09-18-2007, 11:48 AM
It probably could. I just think the first scene has to be Roland following the Man in Black through the desert. :D

You are speaking from my heart. :rose:

Matt
09-18-2007, 11:49 AM
seems like that is kind of a must for the movie. especially for

the end to make sense.

Mike Beck
09-18-2007, 11:54 AM
it's an iconic and memorable scene. i love it. i'd be pissed if they didn't start off that way.

Daghain
09-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Matt's point is pretty good, too. You could put the same scene at the end, except this time he has the horn
and it would be totally cool. :D

Matt
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh yeah, you film them both at the same time so it looks like not only did he...

start over but also in age and time

Daghain
09-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah. That would rock. :D

Darkthoughts
09-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I'd dig an anime version, maybe styled it on Jae Lee's drawings...

I just think alot of the key events would be better translated by animation than cgi.

Daghain
09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh, I think I would totally HATE it if it were anime. :lol:

Matt
09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Same here :(

I have just never gotten close to the style at all

<gags>

Daghain
09-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I'd watch it anyway, but I'd be pissed off the whole time. :lol:

Matt
09-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh yeah, I'd only see it 5 times instead of 10 <_<

Daghain
09-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Mattrick
09-19-2007, 12:49 PM
It should be the exact same time line as the books, i think.

I would prefer a series similar to carnivale. any of those HBO series, actually. 1 season per book. the actors wouldn't age that much. 7 years. They've done the Sopranos for that long without the characters seeming to change that much.

Except for Jake. They could film a lot of scenes with Jake in them first, for a few seasons and weave them in.

Darkthoughts
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh, I think I would totally HATE it if it were anime. :lol:
You're kidding...but the ka-tet would be great played by the Powerpuff Girls!! :lol:

Daghain
09-19-2007, 12:54 PM

I am not a big fan of anime. And I just. can't. see. it. :lol:

Darkthoughts
09-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, to be fair I used the word anime but really meant any animation...Jae Lee style would rock - or even the way they did the LOTR cartoon years ago.

Daghain
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Nope, I want live action, baby. :D

Darkthoughts
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Rawrrrr :lol:

Letti
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Nope, I want live action, baby. :D

*nods*

Humans.
With flesh on their skeleton.

Daghain
09-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Mattrick
09-19-2007, 01:30 PM
If it were anime I would keep expecting Roland to hop into a Gundam to go look for Dragonballs in Japan.

Matt
09-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I bet Roland has Dragon balls. :lol:

Mattrick
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
OMG LOOK OUT CK! ROLAND IS GOING TO FUSE TO JAKE TO BECOME RAKELAND DESCHAINBERS!!

Patrick
09-19-2007, 02:34 PM
:rofl: << This whole conversation.

But yeah, live action. Definitely.

Storyslinger
09-19-2007, 07:06 PM
With Patrick on this :rofl:

Darkthoughts
09-20-2007, 03:13 AM
I'm too worried about casting for live action. Who would you all choose for Roland?

MonteGss
09-20-2007, 03:15 AM
I think that should question should be another thread, dear. :)
We probably already have one.....don't we?

Darkthoughts
09-20-2007, 03:19 AM
I know theres a few, if memory serves me well, on .net, but I can't remember here? I'll look! :D

Brice
09-20-2007, 03:21 AM
I think if I did want a DT movie at all (and I don't) I'd like to see them do a multi-season cable mini-series with a slight twist. I'd like to see them make a movie showing Roland's next loop as a miniseries. Otherwise I'm really just not interested.

MonteGss
09-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Maybe that is what I am thinking...the one on .net. I could be wrong and there hasn't been one created. I probably should be discussed here if there isn't a thread for it. :)
My answer has stayed the same since I saw a good picture of this guy. It was his eyes and scruffiness that did it:
Hugh Laurie (the House guy)
I've never seen the show and I know nothing of his acting but he's got the look down in my mind. :)

Darkthoughts
09-20-2007, 03:28 AM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Hes a former comedian over here, he just wouldn't be right...do you know Blackadder? Hang on...I'll get a picture...

Darkthoughts
09-20-2007, 03:31 AM
Click here...the guy in the powdered wig is Hugh laurie :lol:
http://www.tvheaven.ca/black.htm#dish

MonteGss
09-20-2007, 03:35 AM
I don't care. :lol:
I told you....I know nothing of him....don't care, don't wanna know. It's how he looks now!!

Darkthoughts
09-20-2007, 03:36 AM
You should watch Blackadder, its hilarious...then again, if you want to continue thinking of him as Roland...maybe you shouldn't :P

MonteGss
09-20-2007, 03:37 AM
I won't then. :P

Darkthoughts
09-20-2007, 03:38 AM

ZoNeSeeK
09-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I think a marvel DT cartoon series would be awesome :) like what they did with x-men. Its not serious enough for it to be "TEH MOVIES" but it would do wonders for building the mythos and generating the fan base that we know the series deserves - as a next stage of the comic release, or something. Have that running for the next three years, get all the 12-18 year olds aware of it and there's your cashcow market to fund the first DT movie. (Detta walker may need to be toned down, though)

How would they justify funding 3 movies, let alone 7? Movie business, remember ;) baby steps, i think.

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Like I posted earlier, someone loan me a couple billion, I make it:lol:

Matt
09-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I'd watch a cartoon series--sure as shit. Like the Batman one or something?

That would be hot.

Storyslinger
09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
And watch Eddie's eye pop five feet out of his skull, or oy

Letti
09-21-2007, 04:00 AM
And would you like to have a narrator in the movie/mini series/cartoon/anime? Like in the comics.

Mike Beck
09-21-2007, 04:46 AM
only if that narrator is Stephen King, and not some guy that sounds like Sam Elliot. Although I like Sam Elliot. But if it was SK narrating, it would tie in nicely when you find out that he's a character later on.

Storyslinger
09-21-2007, 07:00 AM
I agree with Mike, that would be pretty awesome

Patrick
09-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Having a narrator can be pretty dicey - either it works or it is completely lame. The comics needed one because there was a lot of story to move along in a limited amount of space, but I think an HBO/Showtime series would be fine without one.

Mike Beck
09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
i'm thinking the way they did it in Carnivale. Samson had a bit of narration at the beginning of each season. Just before the premiere's, not every episode. that could be kinda cool.

Patrick
09-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, that could work. Less is better when it comes to voice-over.

Jon
09-22-2007, 01:11 AM
I just want Roland to molest (and be described in great detail, no real reason) the young Eddie then get sent to a modern prison where Roland get molested and raped, (In great detail, no REAL reason) Then a giant spider jumps out and kills the prison warden and the Governor.

or I'll just take a wiz and make fun of Zone a bit more.

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:23 AM
:scared:

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:29 AM

ZoNeSeeK
09-23-2007, 10:47 PM
come back to bed, baby.

Storyslinger
09-24-2007, 07:44 AM

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Lilja report:

In an interview J.J. Abrams said that he and Damon Lindelof are in very early stages of a Dark Tower adaptation.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=7675&count=0

asamorris
03-11-2008, 08:53 PM
thank god.

dude
08-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Just had to sign up to this forum and pass on this which I found out yesterday.

From Wikipedia:

"(Genndy Tartakovsky, an Emmy Award-winning Russian-born American animator. He is best known for the television series Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars.)

He has been pitching a cartoon series of Stephen King's The Dark Tower to HBO. It is unknown how the recent Dark Tower comics will affect the possibility of this projected series becoming a reality – whether the foray into an illustrated medium will pave the way for Genndy's animation, or if it will prove to be enough for King and the Grant publishing company."

Would be cool to see haw his designs of the characters look. And also for anyone that is intrested he is also looking to do a sequel to the 1982 classic "The Dark Crystal"

Daghain
08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
First of all, welcome to the site! Please post in the Introduce Me thread so we can all know a bit about you!

Second - NO. OH GOD, PLEASE, NO. A DT cartoon would probably KILL me. :lol:

Patrick
08-24-2008, 10:59 PM
... NO. OH GOD, PLEASE, NO. A DT cartoon would probably KILL me. :lol:
The role of Roland will be played by Popeye.

___
Thanks, dude. As Daghain said, please do stick around and post some more. :thumbsup:

lipgloss_and_revolver
08-25-2008, 01:28 AM
:ninja:
I don't like DT to be made into an HBO cartoon. Has there been an HBO cartoon series before?

But thanks for the info!

HanzouNorak
08-25-2008, 02:36 AM
actualy i think animation would give it more of an all around feel, unless the animator sees the characters different than the majority of the audience. ive seen the animation for the above list, and they're pretty good. i think this should be given a chance, it better than J.J. Abrams directing at least.

turtlex
08-25-2008, 02:48 AM
I'm trying to remember if HBO has done any other animated series. I seem to recall a couple of late night things, but the names are not coming to me.

HBO has money, so if they commit to a DT animated ADULT series, I'd be very okay with it.

Also, I doubt Sai King would let anything bad happen with the series.

valtr0n
08-25-2008, 04:16 AM
This is old, old, old news. As in 2 years old or more. Nothing has ever materialized from this, nor do I think it ever will.

razz
08-25-2008, 06:56 AM
lets look at both sides of this
+ we don't get some actor stuck as the face of Roland or another 'slinger for all eternity
-it's a fucking CARTOON

jayson
08-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Don't let the word "cartoon" throw you. Animation is not all Smurfs and such. Animation might be the correct medium for this story dependent on who the artists are.

Wuducynn
08-25-2008, 07:38 AM
First of all, welcome to the site! Please post in the Introduce Me thread so we can all know a bit about you!

Second - NO. OH GOD, PLEASE, NO. A DT cartoon would probably KILL me. :lol:

Especially a Tartakovsky one. That artwork would NOT do the Dark Tower saga justice! :angry: