PDA

View Full Version : King's final book

TheCrisisKing
04-14-2010, 06:00 PM
King may show no signs of retirement now, but one day the final book may come. It may be due to a sudden and untimely loss, god forbid, or he may just decide that he is done. So I ask you, what would you like his final book to be?

Sam
04-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Finished.:P

Sam
04-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Really good comes to mind too.:P:P

John Blaze
04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm with Sam.

I'm really scared for my ASOIAF series right now, I hope GRRM finishes the damn thing.

I was big into Jennings and his Aztec books when he died. The guy who continued them sucks.

ladysai
04-15-2010, 01:44 AM

Exactly right!

I dont think I could be any more specific than that, since there's no way of predicting what may happen with the creation process or the lifespan of the author.

John Blaze
04-15-2010, 02:43 AM

Exactly right!

I dont think I could be any more specific than that, since there's no way of predicting what may happen with the creation process or the lifespan of the author.
I agree.

Really good comes to mind too.:P:P

This gave me an idea. If *I* were a famous author, and I happened to write a book I considered to be one of my best after already being famous, I'd store it as my last book. My agent/wife/business manager would then have instructions to release it posthumously as my last book i miraculously finished just a day or so before my death. Then, when people read it they'd be so happy my last book was finished and good. :P

flaggwalkstheline
04-15-2010, 04:36 AM
I'm sure sai king would find it touching that his fans are worrying about his mortality:P

lophophoras
04-15-2010, 05:16 AM
LOL...Hopefully he will continue writing right up to the end. Pen and paper in hand, heart monitors and IVs hooked up.

:orely:

Dagavidiab
04-15-2010, 05:24 AM
This gave me an idea. If *I* were a famous author, and I happened to write a book I considered to be one of my best after already being famous, I'd store it as my last book. My agent/wife/business manager would then have instructions to release it posthumously as my last book i miraculously finished just a day or so before my death. Then, when people read it they'd be so happy my last book was finished and good. :P

The problem is, that opinion is subjective, for example, Kurt Cobain never thought that the people will like so much "Smell like a teen spirit", he said that Nevermind has better songs. So, King could think that he is saving the best book ever, but we could think different...

We will have to cross our fingers!!

High_Desert_Gunslinger
04-15-2010, 08:03 AM

The problem is, that opinion is subjective, for example, Kurt Cobain never thought that the people will like so much "Smell like a teen spirit", he said that Nevermind has better songs. So, King could think that he is saving the best book ever, but we could think different...

We will have to cross our fingers!!

Good point. He didn't like Carrie and threw it away at first, also he was skeptical about publishing Pet Semetary because he thought it was too grim and disturbing for people to like... Both books were best sellers. What he thinks may be his greatest book ever may be in most of our opinion his worst. Its all a matter of opinion

DanishCollector
04-15-2010, 12:16 PM
he did and probably still consider Lisey's Story his best, and it was my least favorite

John Blaze
04-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Really? Have you read Cell?

Sam
04-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Uh, John, I've read Cell and really enjoyed it, wanna make something of it? :P

King still considers Lisey's Story to be his best work and would want to be remembered for it according to what he told someone at one of the recent UTD signings. But he looks at it with different eyes too, and I understand that. I thought LS was a terrificly romantic story myself.

CyberGhostface
04-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I guess it's all a matter of opinion, but I really don't see how Lisey's Story could be considered King's best. I wouldn't even put it in the top ten. Even if I were to choose one of his more "literary" stories to remember him by, I'd probably pick something like Hearts in Atlantis. The first story in that book was far more powerful than anything in Lisey, IMO.

John Blaze
04-15-2010, 09:51 PM
opinions, opinions ,opinions. They're like fingerprints. Everyone has them and they're all different. :lol: I personally hated Cell and loved Lisey's Story. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 though. If, however, Lisey's Story had been his last book, released posthumously, I would have been happy and satisfied with it.

Daghain
04-16-2010, 07:23 AM
You know, we have a POLL going to determine King's best book. :lol:

John Blaze
04-16-2010, 07:41 AM
You don't need a poll for that, I'll tell you. The Stand. End of story. It is a close second, followed by Carrie.

Daghain
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I'd vote for The Stand as well. :D

jhanic
04-16-2010, 05:41 PM
IT is one of his best also.

John

wizardsrainbow
04-17-2010, 08:25 AM
King's final book will be a sequel to The Shining that tells what happened to Danny Torrence after he grew up. (just my opinion)

pathoftheturtle
04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
opinions, opinions ,opinions. They're like fingerprints. Everyone has them and they're all different. :lol: I personally hated Cell and loved Lisey's Story. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 though. If, however, Lisey's Story had been his last book, released posthumously, I would have been happy and satisfied with it.OMG, Wouldn't it have been ironic if he had died while working on Lisey's Story? All this is funny because what that book is about happens to be basically the same as this thread's general topic. It's obviously inspired by King's thoughts regarding the effect upon his wife of public interest in his posthumously unpublished works. Honestly, I don't find it all that great; I'd prefer for him to continue to try to be highly creative in his remaining years instead of trying to polish off all of his "trunk novels."

frik
04-17-2010, 12:02 PM
he did and probably still consider Lisey's Story his best, and it was my least favorite

Lisey's Story is definitely in my top 5 - AWESOME book.

sk

BillyxRansom
04-17-2010, 12:31 PM
King's final book will be a sequel to The Shining that tells what happened to Danny Torrence after he grew up. (just my opinion)

better not be! we already know this is potentially coming. and i don't want to know what his last book is going to be before he/fate has decided!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
I am reading Lisey's Story right now, and OH MY GOD!!! if I read about another smucking BOOL with a Puffickly Huyooge Piebald Purple People Eater, I am going to burn this fucker down.

John Blaze
04-21-2010, 07:41 PM
:lol: Ok, that I will acknowledge was annoying.

Jean
04-22-2010, 06:05 AM
I am reading Lisey's Story right now, and OH MY GOD!!! if I read about another smucking BOOL with a Puffickly Huyooge Piebald Purple People Eater, I am going to burn this fucker down.
well, what did bears say (insert question mark here: can t find the fucker on this French keyboqrd)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
On a side note Jean, how is UTD going? I really enjoyed it.

Jean
04-23-2010, 02:23 AM
it is going fantastically well! bears LOVE it. They fear the instant when they will have to reconsider their top 5 - and with every page of UtD it looks more and more than the time really might come

hear, hear

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-23-2010, 02:33 AM
it is going fantastically well! bears LOVE it. They fear the instant when they will have to reconsider their top 5 - and with every page of UtD it looks more and more than the time really might come

There is positively no chance of my having to rethink my top 5, or top 25 for that matter, upon my completion of Lisey's Story, which I expect about 2 months and 15 books from now.

Glad to hear you are enjoying UtD, it was by far my favorite King in the last 10 years.

Brice
04-23-2010, 03:12 AM
a potentially singular event: a russian bear using a french keyboard to type english messages.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-23-2010, 06:29 PM
:orely:

ladysai
04-23-2010, 07:02 PM
a potentially singular event: a russian bear using a french keyboard to type english messages.
...and cussing it the whole time! :lol:

(I'm so glad that humor translates through every language and communication medium!)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
http://www.lehman.edu/faculty/hoffmann/itc/techteach/keyboard/keybfr.gif

WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!!!

mae
04-30-2010, 04:52 AM
Wow, a fail if there ever was one :)

AIMB
08-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't know what it will be about, but I know I am going to do like Desmond from LOST did with his Dickens book. Save it until I am old so it will be the last book I ever read. With my luck it will probably suck though.

pathoftheturtle
08-21-2010, 11:14 AM
:rofl:

WeDealInLead
08-27-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm a sucker for happy endings. I'd like Roland to find his redemption and to end the cycle.

pathoftheturtle
08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm a sucker for happy endings. I'd like Roland to find his redemption and to end the cycle.That sounds nice... but would it have to be King's final book? Takes a little of the happy out of it.

BeDaN
02-06-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm with Sam.

I'm really scared for my ASOIAF series right now, I hope GRRM finishes the damn thing.

I was big into Jennings and his Aztec books when he died. The guy who continued them sucks.

I'm totally with you on this

CyberGhostface
02-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm not too concerned about GRRM being unable to finish the series.

As for Stephen King's last book, at this point I think it should be anything he wants to write. DT7 could have been a dropping off point (and I'm glad it wasn't) but at this point I can't really think of anything specific that would serve as the final word to his career.

Coulrophobia
02-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I have wondered for a long time if there really will be a final story. I think there is more than a few stories stored away that will be released for many many years to come. I would like a trip back to Derry in my lifetime.

Bryant Burnette
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't think we'll be seeing King's final book anytime soon, personally. I have a feeling that since he (narrowly) dodged the grim reaper back in '99, he's going to end up living to be an old, old man. I'm a-gonna say we'll still be buying new Stephen King books for another twenty years or so, and so far, I don't see any indications that they won't continue to be awesome.

Lisey's Story notwithstanding...

Jean
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
I don't think we'll be seeing King's final book anytime soon, personally. I have a feeling that since he (narrowly) dodged the grim reaper back in '99, he's going to end up living to be an old, old man. I'm a-gonna say we'll still be buying new Stephen King books for another twenty years or so, and so far, I don't see any indications that they won't continue to be awesome.

Lisey's Story notwithstanding...
Perfectly stated (even if bears could place a few more title before the "notwithstanding" part)

Brice
02-07-2013, 01:39 PM
He'll write till he dies...maybe longer.

EXPLORER
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
ABSOLUTELY....... He'll haunt us beyond his years available to get signed copies

pathoftheturtle
02-07-2013, 05:10 PM
He'll haunt us beyond his yearsLisey's Story all over again.

Brice
02-07-2013, 08:11 PM
BOOL!