PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #11: The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower (2004)

mae
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower, 2004
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/TDT_trade_face.jpg

Please vote for The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_VII:_The_Dark_Tower) using the following scale:

5: I loved it
4: It was good
3: Average
2: Only so-so
1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

Daghain
04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Love, love LOVE this book. A definite five.

Sam
04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I had so many hopes for this one, and while I wasn't disappointed with the way it ended I wasn't happy with it either. The final ending is the only ending that really would have worked, but there were so many things that could have, maybe even should have, been done differently. Flagg, Patrick, Mordred, the triplets and Dandelo even. They needed something... more (except the triplets, I could have done without them completely).

I give it a 4.

Jean
04-05-2010, 10:45 AM

it's not as big a five as the one I gave to the Wolves, the Waste Lands, the Drawing or the SoS - I actually disliked some parts of DT7 (the description of the cold, smacking of a dozen other books, to give just one example) - but there are great things there, and as a whole it's a definite 5

Tito_Villa
04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
A 5 for me, a great book!!!

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Another big 1 from me, again less then 1 if it was possible. I was SO utterly dissapointed in this book. The ending had me saying "I've come all this way for THIS!!!?" What a horrible letdown.

Jean
04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Another big 1 from me, again less then 1 if it was possible. I was SO utterly dissapointed in this book. The ending had me saying "I've come all this way for THIS!!!?" What a horrible letdown.
ok, I know - although I feel quite the opposite - that ending came as a disappointment to many people. But 1? Really, there was nothing in the book to impress you? Nothing at all?

Neither Callahan's exit, nor the battle, nor Eddie's death? Nor Jake's death and Roland's prayer?

there's ever so much more to the book, but really, even if there wasn't - doesn't all that make up for your disappointment in the ending, at least to an extent that would allow you to give it a 2? a 3?... I mean, did the ending just ruin the whole book? Why didn't it ruin the whole saga, then?... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

ladysai
04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I have to abstain from voting, since I believe my personal feelings on the series (finally) ending have tainted my view of the book's quality (or lack thereof).

I waited for so long for the series to be complete, and then I hated the fact that it was actually over. Weird, but there it is. ;)

Ageless Stranger
04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I LOVED this book. I loved the ending. Everything Jean brought up drives home how awesome this book is. Did I mention it was great? 5 from me.

divemaster
04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Big strong 5. I LOVED the ending. It rang true. No neat little bow to wrap things up in a pretty package. In fact, I don't see how it could have ended any differently without me rolling my eyes. Certainly better than a bunch of kids getting together fore child sex to defeat the ultimate evil, like some other book with a sucky ending.

Aside from that, the rest of the book was very compelling. OK, ok, the whole Mordred thing was a bit lame but the rest of the adventure more than made up for that.

fernandito
04-06-2010, 09:17 PM

cody44
04-06-2010, 10:08 PM
A big 5 from me, too.

Melike
04-07-2010, 06:40 AM
5! Too many unforgettable characters and moments.

Hannah
04-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I was really close to giving this book a 3, but I settled on a 4 instead, as there were some good parts.

Jean
04-07-2010, 06:56 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif

Hannah
04-07-2010, 06:59 AM
I know. I guess I just had way too high of expectations and felt too let down by the book as a whole for it to rate a bigger vote.

Riostar
04-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Definate 5 for me. So many good parts in it. I even came to accept the ending. Loved this one.

Canada
04-07-2010, 10:58 AM
My favorite book in the entire series. I even loved the ending. Just too epic for words. 5.(++++)

AsylumWitch
04-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Definite 5. I really loved this book and I thought the ending was perfect. I've probably reread this one more than any other in the set.

My only complaint, if you can call it that, would be Susannah's ending. It didn't ring true to me - at all.

Girlystevedave
04-08-2010, 02:35 PM
No doubt, 5. :)

pathoftheturtle
04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Definite 5. I really loved this book and I thought the ending was perfect. I've probably reread this one more than any other in the set.

My only complaint, if you can call it that, would be Susannah's ending. It didn't ring true to me - at all.Can't please everyone. People either like the happy ending and hate what happened to Roland, or else hate the first and like the second. Maybe SK is so popular because everyone stays just pleased enough.

Kronz
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I really enjoy this book but it seemed over-long both times I read it. Also both times I felt a depression or emptiness after finishing it. Four stars from me, and of course I will read it again many times I'm sure.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-08-2010, 04:48 PM

It seems that you hated most of the DT series. I am curious as to what made you continue reading a series (and becoming a member of a fan site of said series) that you seemed to not enjoy.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I first read the Gunslinger stories when they appeared in F&SF. I thought they were just OK. Then I bought the Grant edition of THE GUNSLINGER, read them all in a row, and really liked them. When DT2 came out, I re-read THE GUNSLINGER and then book 2, ditto when the 3rd and 4th books came out, liking the series more and more as I re-read them up to number 4. Then the long gap came, and when Wolves came out, I could not believe the difference between it and the first four books. I just did not like the last 3 books, I hated the Calla language and the constant repitition of certain phrases, and I especially became annoyed with Susannah, who I liked up until those last 3 books.
BUT, and there is always a but or two hanging around, I still find King to be a fascinating writer, and the fact that he irritates me a lot means he is pulling my strings, which is what good fiction is supposed to do, create an emotional reaction one way or the other. And for this reason I continue, and will continue, to read his books, hoping another STAND or FIRESTARTER (my 2 favorite Kings) will come along.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I first read the Gunslinger stories when they appeared in F&SF. I thought they were just OK. Then I bought the Grant edition of THE GUNSLINGER, read them all in a row, and really liked them. When DT2 came out, I re-read THE GUNSLINGER and then book 2, ditto when the 3rd and 4th books came out, liking the series more and more as I re-read them up to number 4. Then the long gap came, and when Wolves came out, I could not believe the difference between it and the first four books. I just did not like the last 3 books, I hated the Calla language and the constant repitition of certain phrases, and I especially became annoyed with Susannah, who I liked up until those last 3 books.
BUT, and there is always a but or two hanging around, I still find King to be a fascinating writer, and the fact that he irritates me a lot means he is pulling my strings, which is what good fiction is supposed to do, create an emotional reaction one way or the other. And for this reason I continue, and will continue, to read his books, hoping another STAND or FIRESTARTER (my 2 favorite Kings) will come along.

Fair enough. I didn't care too much for the last two books myself...though I did enjoy Wolves alot. I still would never give any of the DT books a 1. Even my least favorite of the series (Sos) gets a 3.

*shrugs* to each his own.

Jean
04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Can't please everyone. People either like the happy ending and hate what happened to Roland, or else hate the first and like the second. Maybe SK is so popular because everyone stays just pleased enough.
it is a beautiful theory, that's maybe the reason why it doesn't fully reflect the reality. The other two extreme possibilities (loved both; hated both) and endless "in between" (meh both; meh the first, loved the second, etc) are just as popular.

CyberGhostface
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Would have given it a 5, but Flagg's fate takes away 4 points.

mae
04-12-2010, 09:03 AM
The poll has closed. The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.488636364 or 89.77%, placing 1st (winner) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower also placed 1st with a FAS of 4.666666667, so it lost 0.178030303 (-3.81%) this time.