PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #11: The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah (2004)

mae
04-05-2010, 08:21 AM
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah, 2004
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/SOS_trade_face.jpg

Please vote for The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_VI:_Song_of_Susannah) using the following scale:

5: I loved it
4: It was good
3: Average
2: Only so-so
1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

Daghain
04-05-2010, 09:30 AM
I gave this a three. Probably my second-to-least favorite of the series.

Sam
04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
The weakest of all the DT books. The only reason I kept reading it at times was because I HAD to finish the story. This chapter of it needed some rewrites though. It gets a 2.

Kronz
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I think this one is great, and to me the fastest paced book in the series. Five.

Jean
04-05-2010, 10:36 AM
five! five! loved it! loved it!

mae
04-05-2010, 10:38 AM
My second favorite of the series after DT2! Five, of course.

Jean
04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/BEAR-HUG.jpg

Tito_Villa
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Another 5 from me :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
A close second to LISEY'S STORY, which I detested. I could barely read SOS, absolutely (didn't like it a lot). Words in parentheses are my attempt to be polite about my true impression of this book. A negative 10.

Jean
04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Another 5 from me :)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

pathoftheturtle
04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
I gave this a three. Probably my second-to-least favorite of the series.
The weakest of all the DT books. The only reason I kept reading it at times was because I HAD to finish the story. This chapter of it needed some rewrites though. It gets a 2.
... I could barely read SOS...didn't like it... A negative 10.I don't understand any of this.
Not much downside to it that I can see. Comparatively speaking, I mean.
It's a pretty good read.

Sam
04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I felt the story was bloated, overly long, and pretty much unnecessary as a novel in itself. I don't mean that the entire story was unnecessary, just that it could have been trimmed up a lot and split into the books before and after.

Jon
04-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Shit Fire and save on matches!!!

I was thinking of W&G when I voted "I didn't like it." I thought SOS was "good."

Jean
04-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I felt the story was bloated, overly long, and pretty much unnecessary as a novel in itself. I don't mean that the entire story was unnecessary, just that it could have been trimmed up a lot and split into the books before and after.

bears think it's the unnecessary that makes the best part of King's novels...

I was thinking of W&G when I voted "I didn't like it." I thought SOS was "good."
don't worry, I have edited the poll accordingly

Jon
04-06-2010, 02:21 AM

don't worry, I have edited the poll accordingly

Thankee-sai

pathoftheturtle
04-06-2010, 10:05 AM

bears think it's the unnecessary that makes the best part of King's novels...Yar, and in this book is a perfect example: Trudy Damascus.

Jean
04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
precisely

ladysai
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I gave this one a 4.
I would have given it a 3 without Rev. Harrigan and John Cullum; who are my most favorite of the 'minor' characters in the series.

Ageless Stranger
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I gave it a 3. It was my least favorite of the series.

divemaster
04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
3 from me as well. The whole character of Susanna/Detta/Odetta never really did anything for me. The saga ROCKS when it comes to Roland, Eddie, Jake, Oy, Cuthbert, Alain, the various incarnations of Walter/Marten/Flagg, and the minor characters both hero and villian. The saga BOGS DOWN when it focuses on Susanna/Detta/Odetta. I never did even buy the "true love" thing with Eddie. They should have left her on the beach.

(Sorry, had to get that out of my system)

fernandito
04-06-2010, 09:18 PM

cody44
04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I actually really enjoyed a number of passages from this book. I think it deserves a 5.

Woofer
04-07-2010, 03:47 AM
I really don't like Susannah.

Jean
04-07-2010, 05:28 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

Ageless Stranger
04-07-2010, 05:36 AM
They should have left her on the beach.

:wtf::lol::wtf:

mae
04-07-2010, 05:55 AM
This really was my second-favorite of the series after DT2. Why? It was just so fast-paced. The shootout, for one, was such an exciting part. Just amazingly written. And the entire Stephen King subplot rocked. I know it has its detractors, but I LOVED it.

Jean
04-07-2010, 06:08 AM
so did bears http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Kronz
04-07-2010, 06:43 AM
It's weird that people love or hate this so passionately. I am definitely in the loved-it camp. This book was so exciting and full of all that delicious lore from Mia.

Riostar
04-07-2010, 07:12 AM
A 3 from me as well. There where parts I liked but most I just didn't. The whole Susannah/Mia thing i was just like "hell how many people are in this woman?"

Canada
04-07-2010, 10:44 AM
A good read. Much better than W&G.

Sam
04-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Normally I would agree with you on that Jean, but this wasn't unnecessary that later on you can look at and say "Ah, now I understand". It felt more like the unnecessary that you feel when someone you barely like comes up and rapes your ear with stories about their latest colonoscopy. Not quite that bad, but it certainly left me feeling very unhappy to have read the book. I've rarely felt that with King's works. I've read a few that I didn't like, and even two that I didn't finish, but I was always glad that I had at least tried it. With SoS though, I really was close to wishing I had never read it, skipped to DTVII, and just left it to my imagination.

Jean
04-08-2010, 01:52 AM
That's precisely what I meant by "unnecessary" - that colonoscopy simile is very apt. Now, everything depends only on how good the colonoscopy story is by itself; as to it being able or unable to add to the bigger story, it's such a subtle subject that works on so many levels that we can't always say what is or isn't another brick in the wall of the big building... like, all that "Maid of Constant Sorrow" snivel seems quite expendable, but it's the little things like that that make the big books for the bears... I realize, though, that when the unnecessary just doesn't seem to possess any value of its own (the colonoscopy tale may be gripping or boring), then they really must annoy.

AsylumWitch
04-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I gave it a 4. I loved the book or I should say, the parts of the book that did not focus on Susannah/Mia. The Mia aspect was really tiring to me.

pathoftheturtle
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
:o I still don't understand.

I liked it. :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-08-2010, 04:33 PM

DoctorDodge
04-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Out of all the books in the series, I think this could benefit from a re-read the most. The first time I read it, I found it long and dull. Really, I just wanted to get the new york part over and done with and get back to the quest. I would've given it a 2, possibly a 3, but no higher.

Nearly finished it 2nd time around, and I am loving it! I'm not sure why. Maybe it's all the mythology and all the strands that have been building up throughout the series, suddenly we're given a tight focus on them. It could've been tighter, true, but I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people think. 5 from me!

mae
04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
The poll has closed. The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.848837209 or 76.98%, placing 2nd (runner-up) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah placed 3rd with a FAS of 3.981481481, so it lost 0.132644272 (-3.33%) this time.

pathoftheturtle
04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Out of all the books in the series, I think this could benefit from a re-read the most. The first time I read it, I found it long and dull. Really, I just wanted to get the new york part over and done with and get back to the quest. I would've given it a 2, possibly a 3, but no higher.

Nearly finished it 2nd time around, and I am loving it! I'm not sure why. Maybe it's all the mythology and all the strands that have been building up throughout the series, suddenly we're given a tight focus on them. It could've been tighter, true, but I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people think. 5 from me!
I think that this post says quite a lot. :)