PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

fernandito
04-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Saw this thread on a different forum, thought it'd be an excellent addition to the Gem Theater. You rate a movie out of a 10 point scale system , decimals are fine (i.e 6.5/10 , 3.5/10 etc.). Explanations are encouraged but not required. :)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - 8/10

A prime example of expressionist film making at its finest. Surreal settings, captivating cinematography, and stark contrasts in color help elevate the feeling of macabre rampant throughout the film. A masterpiece of its genre.

Heather19
04-03-2010, 11:12 AM
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - 8/10

A prime example of expressionist film making at it's finest. Surreal settings, captivating cinematography, and stark contrasts in color help elevate the feeling of macabre rampant throughout the film. A masterpiece of its genre.

I'm so glad you embraced the film. :huglove:

And what did you think of the settings, weren't they wonderful?! I love german expressionism. I know it has an unrealistic quality to it, but I just adore the surreal and dreamlike settings. And especially the cinematography and their use of extreme lighting. You can definitely see the influence it has had on filmmaking as a whole, and in particular the horror and film noir genres. Not to mention the likes of certain directors. :)

turtlex
04-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Great idea, Feev.

Well, I just watched Donnie Brasco and I'd easily give it a 8.5/10.

Though Al Pacino completely carries the movie, it's great to see him in a part where he's basically a character actor. The rest of the cast is great, too ( with the exception of Anne Heche who I thought was waaaaay over the top ) and includes Johnny Depp, Michael Madsen and Bruno Kirby. Great job all around for each of them.

I should throw out a bit of a caveat here though - I'm quite a fan of the "mafia" genre in general ( Godfather, Goodfellas, etc ).

Odetta
04-03-2010, 01:15 PM
2012 4/10

The best effect was the super volcano!

Honkmafah
04-03-2010, 03:41 PM
How to Train Your Dragon

5/10

Kids loved it though.

inertia1215
04-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Great idea Feev!!!

just watched the new Alice in Wonderland last night, really enjoyed it. Did not know it was a "sequel" going in and thought it was just another re-make so I was excited about that. As usual Depp was well.....he was Depp. Just what you would expect from him nowadays.

Overall I would give it a 8/10

velcro_fly
04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I just watched The Stepfather. 4/10

Melike
04-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie - 8 / 10

Savvy
04-05-2010, 02:48 AM
Alice in wonderland 6/10 Helen Bonham Carter looked fab. I didn't really like the storyline but the visual was great. It doesn't make sense but I know what I mean so thats ok :wtf:

candy
04-05-2010, 03:29 AM
alice in wonderland 7/10

fernandito
04-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Clash of the Titans - 3/10

Let me preface this by saying that although I am a huge fan of the original , I was not going into this movie under the assumption that it would be a faithful adaptation and knew that certain liberties would be taken with the story for a broader appeal. I set my expectations low , knowing (thinking) that it would be nothing more than a loud, action-fueled movie with melodrama sprinkled throughout.

Apparently I didn't lower my expectations enough. The film is a boring , loud mess - devoid of soul , with a bare bones narrative that serves as nothing more than to get the protagonists from one action set piece to another. The now typecast Sam Worthington delivers his lines in a wooden manner, his tragically underwritten version of Perseus requiring nothing more than for him to look good in costume and occasionally grunt something heroic. The Gods themselves have very little screen time , and what screen time do they have is plagued with erroneously delivered dialogue , with Ralph Fiennes rendition of Hades bordering on ridiculousness.

But let's be honest, if you went or are planning on seeing this movie , it will be attributed to one main factor - the action set pieces. So how do those stand up ? Not as well as they should have, unfortunately. A movie of this sort lives and dies by it's set pieces, and unfortunately the ones found here are just not up to snuff. Some of them go on for far too long, in others it appears as though Perseus's allies are actually throwing themselves into danger. The Kraken, a massive, towering beast that is set up to be Hades's ultimate weapon, practically Armageddon incarnate, is dispatched so easily that you as a viewer feel cheated. There are one or two memorable sequences, one notable scene including a one-on-one between Perseus and a blade wielding demon. But like I said, the action is just not as good as it should have been.

Watch this movie if it's ever on HBO late one night and you have nothing better to do , spare yourself the agony of knowing that you actually paid money to see it.

Still Servant
04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Great idea, Feev.

Well, I just watched Donnie Brasco and I'd easily give it a 8.5/10.

Though Al Pacino completely carries the movie, it's great to see him in a part where he's basically a character actor. The rest of the cast is great, too ( with the exception of Anne Heche who I thought was waaaaay over the top ) and includes Johnny Depp, Michael Madsen and Bruno Kirby. Great job all around for each of them.

I should throw out a bit of a caveat here though - I'm quite a fan of the "mafia" genre in general ( Godfather, Goodfellas, etc ).

Donnie Brasco is one of my favorite films of all time. It's easily one the most underrated mafia movie around. It just doesn't get the attention I think it deserves.

Requiem for a Dream

8.5/10

I've heard a lot of great things about this film, but have been putting off watching it for a while. Especially after watching Pi (by the same director Darren Aronofsky) and not really liking it.

I'm glad I watched it. It's a pretty amazing and shocking film. There are some truly gut-wrenching scenes, including a heart pounding, well edited final scene.

The acting is superb. Especially by Ellen Burstyn who was nominated for an Oscar for her performance. Jennifer Connelly, Jared Leto, and even Marlon Wayans turn in career defining performances.

I know most of you have probably seen it, but if you haven't, I recommend it.

Girlystevedave
04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I finally saw Boondock Saints: All Saints Day last night. If I gave it a 1/10 that would be generous. Five minutes into the movie, I was already annoyed and could tell that a great movie was about to be butchered by it's sequel. I feel it could have had potential if it wasn't two hours full of over-acting and a pointless plot.
It left me wanting to rewatch the original so I could purge myself of the garbage I had witnessed with the sequel. :)

bast_imret
04-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Anyone care to comment on the new Sherlock Holmes? I'm debating picking up a copy of the blu-ray. Never got a chance to see it in theaters.

Melike
04-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Anyone care to comment on the new Sherlock Holmes? I'm debating picking up a copy of the blu-ray. Never got a chance to see it in theaters.

2 / 10
But it is enjoyable. And Robert Downey Jr.is really successful.

Whiplash
04-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Whip It
http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/fox_searchlight/whip_it/whipit_smallposter.jpg
a small town story ala Juno, Snow Angels or Fargo.
Drew Barrymore's directorial debut.

8/10

I enjoyed this movie for what it is. A small town, simple story filled with charming performances and a great sport as the main attraction. :)

Yahoo User Reviews (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810036665/user)

AsylumWitch
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Alice in Wonderland 5/10 and I'm being generous.

It just didn't work for me (as much as I wanted it to). Even my girls didn't like it.

Still Servant
04-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Date Night 8/10

I really enjoyed Date Night. I love Carrell and Fey, so I was pretty much sure I would like it.
There are some things I might have done different. If you like the work of Carrell and Fey and your just looking for a fun comedy, look no further.

fernandito
04-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Lawrence of Arabia - 9/10

Wow, what an incredible experience. From the absolutely astounding cinematography, to the vibrant, majestic soundtrack , and a picture perfect interpretation of a very enigmatic historical figure by Peter O'Toole, LoA truly deserves its spot among cinema's elite. Although the total running time is potentially off-putting (it clocks in at just a little under 4 hours!), the film moves along at such a gripping pace that you'll hardly notice. A near perfect film. Highly recommended.

turtlex
04-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Hey Feev - Can I ask why Lawrence of Arabia didn't rate 10/10 with you?

It's a classic and one of my favorites.

Still Servant
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Lawrence of Arabia - 9/10

Wow, what an incredible experience. From the absolutely astounding cinematography, to the vibrant, majestic soundtrack , and a picture perfect interpretation of a very enigmatic historical figure by Peter O'Toole, LoA truly deserves it's spot among cinema's elite. Although the total running time is potentially off-putting (it clocks in at just a little under 4 hours!), the film moves along at such a gripping pace that you'll hardly notice. A near perfect film. Highly recommended.

I've been planning on watching LoA for a while now, but I just don't want to commit the time. Same deal with Once Upon a Time in America.

I'm glad you liked it, that means I should enjoy it as well.

turtlex
04-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Went to the local Art House Theater and caught :

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - I'd give it a strong 7.5/10 ... and it would be 8.5/10 except that the sub-titles were hard to read at times.

This is in Swedish with English subtitles, and is based on the best selling book by Stieg Larsson.

I never finished reading the book, so was completely sucked into this movie. It's very moody and starts out diverged on two very different characters ( Lisbeth and Mikael ). It's not giving anything away to say this is a mystery/thriller/who-done-it kind of movie.

I really enjoyed it, and the setting ( though very foreign to me ) really added to the story. Which, I'm sure, was 100% intentional.

ETA: FYI - contains some graphic sexual violence.

fernandito
04-13-2010, 05:34 AM
I really , really want to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Hopefully it opens up in a theater near here.

Letti
04-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Shutter Island - 10/10

turtlex
04-13-2010, 06:01 AM
I really , really want to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Hopefully it opens up in a theater near here.

Feev - It's rolling out slow, so just keep your eye on your local Art House. Hopefully, you'll be able to catch it soon. Well worth your time. Sincerely.

Woofer
04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Ils - I know a lot of folks have seen this one already, but I just got to take a peek. 4/5 paw prints. Very intense, taut thriller with little gore but plenty of psychological tension. This one will have you sleeping with a weapon under your pillow - just in case.

fernandito
04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
eXistenZ - 6/10

Layer Cake - 7/10

Gris
04-14-2010, 12:12 PM

2 / 10

I'd go as high as 5/10. Plot was "eh..." but it was entertaining, exciting, and very fun.

INK (NOT Inkheart)

8.5/10

The movie was visually stunning and the plot kept me hooked all the way to the revelation at the end. It is a great look at the human soul, what it can endure, and how it can evolve.

It was one of those quarky movies that I waited until my wife was out of the house and son was napping to watch. I promptly asked her to watch it with me again and she thoroughly enjoyed it as well. It was a very movie film that I would recommend to everyone

Heather19
04-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh, I just looked it up. Sounds interesting.

Eastern Promises 7/10
I really enjoyed this one. Not my favorite Cronenberg movie, but it was still a very solid film.

Dagavidiab
04-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Shutter Island - 10/10

I like it, but not this much. To me, was a little predictable, and i think the music/sound effects were to much

turtlex
04-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Shutter Island - 10/10

I like it, but not this much. To me, was a little predictable, and i think the music/sound effects were to much

Hey Letti - I'm interested. In your local theater - Did you see this in English with subtitles? Or was it dubbed?

( I ask because sometimes if it's dubbed, a lot of that music/sound effects stuff that David was mentioning can be subduded to make sure the dubbing is clear )

High_Desert_Gunslinger
04-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Last movie I watched is an old one but a classic in my opinion.

Beetlejuice [1988] = 9/10

Even though its really cheesy I can't help but love this movie. Tim Burton did a great job directing and Michael Keaton did an amazingly, creepy job portraying Beetlejuice. A creepy and twisted movie but I have always loved it since I was a kid.

Darkthoughts
04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
1408 = 5/10

I liked the look of the movie, the sets, the way it was filmed etc - but I didn't think any of the actors performances were that good and I didn't like the way in which the story had been changed.

Woofer
04-15-2010, 12:34 PM
1408 = 5/10

I liked the look of the movie, the sets, the way it was filmed etc - but I didn't think any of the actors performances were that good and I didn't like the way in which the story had been changed.

That's exactly how I felt!

Darkthoughts
04-15-2010, 02:22 PM
The whole thing with the daughter was just overly soppy and really detracted from the scare factor. Plus, John Cusack's freaked out faces looked comical.

They really should have made more of the interview between Mike and the hotel manager, it had awesome potential.

Woofer
04-15-2010, 02:53 PM
So true. I found the changes lessened the impact of an awesome story.

fernandito
04-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Cube - 7.5/10

Wow. Has anyone else seen this ? It's a very low budget sci-fi thriller but it is better than a lot of blockbustin' sci-fi's I've seen. An interesting premise - a seemingly random assortment of individuals awake to find themselves inside a cube with doors on all facets, each door leads to another cube, and some of them are cleverly booby trapped with flamethrowers , hoses that spray acid, and other ingenious devices. Bits of information are trickled throughout the movie by it's protagonists as they attempt to find an exit to their enigmatic prison, and you begin to piece things together brick by brick, cube by cube. I'd recommend this to anyone, even if sci-fi isn't your forte.

Melike
04-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Ah, Cube is a good movie. There are two more:
Cube 2 / Hypercube
Cube Zero

fernandito
04-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I saw that it had both a sequel and a prequel. I'm thinking I'll pick up Cube Zero first, even though technically it's the 'third' movie in the franchise.

Woofer
04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
I like the traps in the Cube movies.

fernandito
04-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Yup, they were awesome. My favorite one was

the sound activated room, where all those blades come out. That scene was so intense, I was literally holding my breath during most of it :lol:

Woofer
04-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that was totally crazy!

Darkthoughts
04-17-2010, 05:11 AM
On a scale of one to ten, what was the ick factor? If it's too high then I can't watch it :lol:

Woofer
04-17-2010, 08:34 AM
It's been a long time since I saw them, but I don't think they were too icky. I do recall a couple of scenes that most folks would find gross. feev or Melike can probably answer more accurately since I believe they've seen them more recently.

Keep in mind, though, I have an extremely high gross-out level.

candy
04-17-2010, 08:44 AM
they are little icky, but i love the premise of the movies. (thats why i also like the Saw movies)

Darkthoughts
04-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Ok, if you'd compare them to Saw, that's all I need to know...not for me! :lol:

sleeplessdwarf
04-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Ninja Assassin 10/10. I had this laying around for weeks not thinking I would care for it much. Hands down the number one movie on my list of movies I wish I had seen at the movies. :panic:

nt07077
04-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Hot Tub Time Machine - I'd give it a 7/10. It was funny but not as hilarious as everyone was saying it was. I probably didn't catch all the references since I'm a 90's baby.

cody44
04-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Kick-Ass - 3.5/10. Some parts were funny, but overall it was just cheese to the extreme.

Casablanca - 8/10. I loved the whole feel of the movie. Bogart was incredible.

fernandito
04-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Kick-Ass - 3.5/10. Some parts were funny, but overall it was just cheese to the extreme.

Ouch. I saw it in theaters this past friday, and while it wasn't the masterpiece I was expecting, I still enjoyed it immensely. 7/10 from me.

Heather19
04-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Rabid 7/10
Feev, you have to watch this one if you haven't seen it yet. It's awesome :lol:
I know you'll love it.

Still Servant
04-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Kick-Ass (my full review, looks like I enjoyed it more than others)

Kick-Ass is crude, gratuitously violent, over-the-top and I loved every minute of it.

Kick-Ass is not for everybody. The violence and some of the language might be too much for some people to handle, especially when it comes from the pint sized punisher Hit-Girl, played by Chloe Moretz.

The story isn't original, but the characters are interesting enough to make the film feel fresh. Aaron Johnson plays a teen who doesn't understand why more people don't try to be superheroes. He soon transforms himself into a masked crusader named Kick-Ass. With little more than good intentions and a pair of batons, he takes to the streets to do justice.

It's not long before Kick-Ass gets his ass kicked. This doesn't stop him from being a superhero. He is later videotaped saving a man who is being beaten up by 3 thugs. The video becomes hugely popular and Kick-Ass is born.

No superhero can save the world alone and that's when he meets Big Daddy (Nick Cage) and Hit-Girl. This is when the film really starts rolling.

Big Daddy and Hit-Girl might be the most interesting father/daughter duo to ever grace a movie screen. While most little girls are interested in Barbie dolls, Hit-Girl is interested in butterfly knives. Sugar and spice and everything nice she is not. More like glocks and knives and everything dies.

Hit-Girl is easily the best film heroine since Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. The things she does and says is so over-the-top, it can't help but be entertaining. Let's not forget, it's just a movie.

Kick-Ass is not your ordinary superhero flick. It's not a film for the faint of heart and it's definitely not a film for kids. If you like your films with a high level of action and violence, then Kick-Ass is tailor made for you.

Woofer
04-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Rabid 7/10
Feev, you have to watch this one if you haven't seen it yet. It's awesome :lol:
I know you'll love it.

Rabid = David Cronenberg + Marilyn Chambers

Dagavidiab
04-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Planet Terror ¿?/10

Has anybody seen this movie??? It is a really strange movie... It is terror? Comedy?
And the cast, directed by Romero/Tarantino, and in the movie: Rose McGowan, Josh Brolin, Freddy Rodríguez, Bruce Willis, Naveen Andrews and Jeff Fahey (both from Lost), Stacy Ferguson (Fergie), even Danny Trejo (machete!!) and Quentin Tarantino!

The falling dick of Tarantino and the leg with the M4A1 carbine assault rifle/M203 grenade launcher

Heather19
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
So wait, what's your rating? Did you like it, or no?

I loved that movie. I'd say it's a combination of everything, thriller, action, comedy, etc. It's a throwback to all the exploitation films. It's supposed to be over the top in every aspect. And the gun for the leg was the best part! :D

fernandito
04-20-2010, 02:18 PM
And also, I think you mean 'directed by Rodriguez/Tarantino' :innocent:

Woofer
04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
I love Planet Terror. It's my favorite part of Grindhouse (aside from the ad for Don't).

Don't

Ruthful
04-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I saw this documentary this past weekend:

http://www.thecartelmovie.com/

Overall, I'd give it a nine out ten.

Dagavidiab
04-20-2010, 04:44 PM

I loved that movie. I'd say it's a combination of everything, thriller, action, comedy, etc. It's a throwback to all the exploitation films. It's supposed to be over the top in every aspect. And the gun for the leg was the best part! :D

The problem is that i don't saw the thriller, the terror and nothing like that. Thinking they intended to do the movie in that way, then is a hilarious movie, i keep laughing because the bad actuation of the characters and the plot itself. Lets give it a 7/10

And also, I think you mean 'directed by Rodriguez/Tarantino' :innocent:

You are right, but Romero=Zombies, so, honest mistake!

Heather19
04-20-2010, 04:48 PM

The problem is that i don't saw the thriller, the terror and nothing like that. Thinking they intended to do the movie in that way, then is a hilarious movie, i keep laughing because the bad actuation of the characters and the plot itself. Lets give it a 7/10

:thumbsup: Yeah I didn't see it as a scary movie either. Just a very entertaining one.

Syncrosonix
04-21-2010, 06:42 AM
i'll give 2012 a 1 out of 10. it was pure garbage.

fernandito
04-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Star Trek - 7/10

"This is not your fathers Star Trek" , indeed. Right from the opening sequence it's apparent that this film is a livelier, fresher, faster paced imagining of it's television counterpart. It works well on many levels : as an engaging naval film (the outer space dogfight-style approach is especially noteworthy), a sci-fi epic, and as a straight up popcorn flick. Although the futuristic gadgetry and pyrotechnics often steal the show, special mention must go to the actors chosen to portray the younger iterations of such iconic characters. I can't compare this new cast with the original , having never been a fan of the original show, but in my opinion they all performed admirably and really brought their characters to life.

My primary complain with the film is it's villian - neither cunning nor clever in the least, he spends most of his time either yelling or brooding. He never manages to truly inspire fear or attain that level of malice necessary to counter the brass and bravado of the main protagonist. Still, the film has laid a solid foundation for future sequels, and I can't wait to see what Abrams comes up with next.

sleeplessdwarf
04-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Facing Ali 8/10
The Crazies 6/10

Still Servant
04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
The Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call New Orleans 7/10

The Bad Lieutenant seems to exist for no other reason but to be a vehicle for Nicholas Cage. The storyline is almost nonexistent and the secondary characters are barely given any room to breath.

The only reason I gave it a 7 is because of Cage's overwhelming performance. It's easily his best performance since Adaptation. There is almost nothing to like about his character and as the film progresses, we grow to dislike him more and more.

The film basically follows Cage as he tries to solve a murder in post Katrina New Orleans. It quickly becomes apparent that Cage doesn't really care about solving the murder. About half way through the movie, the search for the killer is almost abandoned and we just follow cage around New Orleans as he meets up with his bookie, drug dealers and his prostitute girlfriend played by Eva Mendes. He does all this while frequently snorting cocaine.

My biggest disappointment is that the film merely uses New Orleans as a set piece. The plight of the survivors and the post hurricane environment is never really touched upon. I feel this was a real oversight. One I almost have trouble forgiving. It's like they used the name of the city in the title merely to make it timely. A wasted opportunity indeed.

If your looking for a film with a tight storyline, this is not the film for you. The Bad Lieutenant is basically a character study. We follow Cage's character as his life spirals out of control. A once good cop who has gone bad.

cody44
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
La vita è bella (Life is Beautiful) - 8/10

Woofer
04-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Donnie Brasco

Holy shit. Why did nobody tell me how powerful this movie is?

Brice
04-23-2010, 03:21 AM
It is a damn good movie. :)

Woofer
04-23-2010, 03:51 AM
I really think it's Depp at Pacino at their best, most subtly nuanced roles. I'm not usually a Pacino fan - DDA aside - and that was one of the turn offs. He was fucking brilliant. Wow. Don't even regret being up until 2 finishing it.

Brice
04-23-2010, 03:56 AM
I concur (excepting I do like Pacino) wholeheatedly. I love that movie.

Woofer
04-23-2010, 04:04 AM
The end. Woah. :couple: A new fave in my book. :thumbsup:

fernandito
04-23-2010, 06:12 AM
DB definitely does not have the kind of recognition it deserves. From the leads , to the supporting cast , the pacing , the dialogue , it's a fantastic movie.

Me and my brother quote it on a daily basis. My favorite one to use whenever we're driving somewhere "You want me to take a left off of the f*cking bridge?!" :lol:

Woofer
04-23-2010, 07:25 AM
DB definitely does not have the kind of recognition it deserves. From the leads , to the supporting cast , the pacing , the dialogue , it's a fantastic movie.

Me and my brother quote it on a daily basis. My favorite one to use whenever we're driving somewhere "You want me to take a left off of the f*cking bridge?!" :lol:

I am definitely adding that one to my quotes. Panama City Beach is, essentially, an island, so we have to cross a bridge going west, north, and east. South is the Gulf of Mexico.

Still Servant
04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm always telling people that Donnie Brasco is the most underrated gangster flick of all time.

I'm still amazed at the amount of people I talk to that have yet to see Donnie Brasco.

Woofer
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Nobody told me. I can't believe nobody told me. I recently watched the American Justice "true" story of Donnie Brasco and that, plus Amanda's praise, cinched it for me. Had to see the movie. Just wow. :wub:

turtlex
04-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Just watched The Lords of Dogtown and I'm giving it a 9/10.

I truly loved this movie. Anyone even remotely interested in the skateboard culture, and how it got started - you must see this film. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke, starring Emile Hirsh, Rebecca DeMornay, Nikki Reed and Heath Ledger.

Based on a true story. Written by Stacy Peralta.

Heather19
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Bad Taste 6.5/10

How did I have no idea this film existed! Peter Jackson's first film about aliens that take over a town in New Zealand. While not as good as Dead Alive this film still has some great moments. Super cheesy, bad acting, and lots of gore. What more could you ask for :lol:

And that last scene! I think that is one of the craziest moments I've ever seen in a horror film.

Woofer
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Bad Taste 6.5/10

How did I have no idea this film existed! Peter Jackson's first film about aliens that take over a town in New Zealand. While not as good as Dead Alive this film still has some great moments. Super cheesy, bad acting, and lots of gore. What more could you ask for :lol:

And that last scene! I think that is one of the craziest moments I've ever seen in a horror film.

Don't forget Sgt Pepper Beatles in the bus.

Heather19
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
:lol: Yes, that was a pretty random appearance by them.

fernandito
04-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Jacob's Ladder - 9/10

Hadn't seen this movie in years. Rewatched today in the morning, and I have to say it's even trippier than I remember. There is literally one scene / plot device that keeps it from getting a perfect score , which I felt put a serious dent in the overall impact of the film. Otherwise, a near perfect movie.

Brice
04-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Jacob's Ladder - 9/10

Hadn't seen this movie in years. Rewatched today in the morning, and I have to say it's even trippier than I remember. There is literally one scene / plot device that keeps it from getting a perfect score , which I felt put a serious dent in the overall impact of the film. Otherwise, a near perfect movie.

That is one of my all time favorite movies. What is the one scene/plot device you refer to.

Friends, do NOT watch this film on more than 20 hits of good acid. Trust me!

turtlex
04-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Jacob's Ladder! Man that's a blast from the past... my friends and I still occasionally make references to "shaky head"...

... though I must confess, I didn't like it as much as Feev and Brice.

Brice
04-25-2010, 04:51 AM
It is one I've watched probably hundreds of times.

C~Dog
04-25-2010, 05:06 AM
How To Train Your Dragon - 9/10

I love this move so much. The animation and rendering is beautiful, the characters are all interesting and unique, and the story is engaging. The only thing I didn't like was that there were only about 6 dragon species actually featured (not counting those in Hiccup's Dragon Manual), but that is very minor. Overall it is a fucking fantastic movie and I want dragons to be real so I can fly away forever.

cody44
04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
The Breakfast Club - 9/10

With me being at the end of High School this film really struck a chord with me. It's actually a very powerful movie. John Hughes was a master.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
How To Train Your Dragon - 9/10

I love this move so much. The animation and rendering is beautiful, the characters are all interesting and unique, and the story is engaging. The only thing I didn't like was that there were only about 6 dragon species actually featured (not counting those in Hiccup's Dragon Manual), but that is very minor. Overall it is a fucking fantastic movie and I want dragons to be real so I can fly away forever.

Had the pleasure of seeing this one the other day. With twin baby girls (2 yo) we have only gone to 3 movies and were unable to watch the first 2, but the girls quietly watched the first half of this movie, and then peacefully slept the second half. It was a real treat.

The Breakfast Club - 9/10

With me being at the end of High School this film really struck a chord with me. It's actually a very powerful movie. John Hughes was a master.

Is this the first time you have seen this one? This is one of my favorites.

False alarms are really funny, aren't they. What if your home, what if your family . . . what if your dope was on fire?
Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear.

fernandito
04-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Jacob's Ladder - 9/10

That is one of my all time favorite movies. What is the one scene/plot device you refer to.

Now that I think about , it's two scenes :

The part where the chemist reveals himself and the drug conspiracy. Up to that point , the movie was a thematic labyrinth - is it a psychological thriller ? A super natural thriller ? Is it really the drugs that's making him act this way , or is he in a purgatory of some sort ? Is this a near-death meta physical journey, or is he just remembering his past ?

The chemist's revelation grounds the film - unnecessarily , I might add - it leaves little to no room for speculation. The film's greatest strength was not knowing if his journey is a 'real' one or merely an imaginative narrative of a near dying man. Also, the text at the end of the film with the government denying the allegations or some such only further grounds the film. To the director's defense, I've read on numerous forums that he was forced by the studio to shoehorn the chemist scene so that the film at least 'made some sense' to an esoteric group (i.e those that can't handle the film not having a definite answer :lol:)

But , like I said , it's a near flawless film and one that I'm sure I will revisit frequently.

-----

North By Northwest - 8/10

Another solid Hitchcock endeavor.

SynysterSaint
04-26-2010, 10:27 AM
2 / 10

Preface: Please realize that my post, while being a bit forward, is not aimed at attacking you or trying to stir up trouble, I just really don't know what happened with your score and all I have to go on so far is your number.

I think I've given this comment plenty of time to simmer before I say this: How has no one questioned your rating yet? Please tell me why you gave it a 2 out of 10 because I honestly don't understand it. If you dislike the Holmes stories, then I can see why you would hate this movie, but if you like Sherlock Holmes then there is no reason I've heard to dislike it. Sherlock Holmes was the best interpretation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works yet. It had an original plot, yet it stuck to the characters, story conventions, and overall aesthetic of a Holmes novel better than any other live adaptation. I must reiterate: the character portrayals were perfect, down to the last word and movement. It even had multiple lines that were from various Holmes short stories and novels (example: "Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay!"). Guy Ritchie's direction was also fantastic: witty and quick banter between Holmes and Watson fit the stories perfectly, the way he uses camera angles and lighting, even the inclusion of the homosexual tension between Holmes and Watson as well as Holmes drug addictions; all of it molds together beautifully.

My rating of Sherlock Holmes: 10/10. And I don't give that score lightly.

Heather19
04-26-2010, 01:29 PM

Glad you enjoyed it! Is Rear Window coming up soon?! :D

cody44
04-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Glad you enjoyed it! Is Rear Window coming up soon?! :D

Please do watch Rear Window, it's an unforgettable masterpiece of cinema.

I just watched Citizen Kane for the first time. I loved the style that the camera had throughout the film. I really loved the use of mirrors and reflections.

10/10

Melike
04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
2 / 10

Preface: Please realize that my post, while being a bit forward, is not aimed at attacking you or trying to stir up trouble, I just really don't know what happened with your score and all I have to go on so far is your number.

I think I've given this comment plenty of time to simmer before I say this: How has no one questioned your rating yet? Please tell me why you gave it a 2 out of 10 because I honestly don't understand it. If you dislike the Holmes stories, then I can see why you would hate this movie, but if you like Sherlock Holmes then there is no reason I've heard to dislike it. Sherlock Holmes was the best interpretation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works yet. It had an original plot, yet it stuck to the characters, story conventions, and overall aesthetic of a Holmes novel better than any other live adaptation. I must reiterate: the character portrayals were perfect, down to the last word and movement. It even had multiple lines that were from various Holmes short stories and novels (example: "Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay!"). Guy Ritchie's direction was also fantastic: witty and quick banter between Holmes and Watson fit the stories perfectly, the way he uses camera angles and lighting, even the inclusion of the homosexual tension between Holmes and Watson as well as Holmes drug addictions; all of it molds together beautifully.

I think the ratings here are personal. I mean, I was not being objective. When I read your comment, I agree most of it. But this is not a movie I can rate more, beside some others I would give 3 and more.

Tito_Villa
04-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Avatar - 9/10 ... not the best of stories, but the visual effects are stunning!

turtlex
04-27-2010, 02:52 AM
Can I just say that I love ( !!! ) that you guys are all going back to watch the "classics" ... those are some amazing movies and a lot of people just never take the time to seek them out and enjoy them.

Well done, my friends! :grouphug:

Dagavidiab
04-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Can I just say that I love ( !!! ) that you guys are all going back to watch the "classics" ... those are some amazing movies and a lot of people just never take the time to seek them out and enjoy them.

I have to ask... How old are you? Just curiosity...

turtlex
04-27-2010, 05:53 AM

I have to ask... How old are you? Just curiosity...

:lol: Oh, I'm pretty old .... 44. :lol:

But... sincerely, my Mom was a great fan of the movies and really brought me up on all the classics. Hepburn, Welles, Hitchcock, Stewart and a lot of the cheese, too. You know, Beach Blanket Bingo and those. Plus, she was a big Rock Hudson fan, so I've seen all those screwball comedies and ... well, let's just say that I've seen a ton of movies, and keep adding to them all the time. I love the classics and I love indie films, and blockbusters and ... you get the idea.

It's a great debt I owe my Mom, honestly. It's a wonderful love of film that she gave me, intended or not.

tamez
04-27-2010, 07:11 AM
i (finally) saw The Fantastic Mr Fox
which I give a resounding 9.5 out of 10.
the point five i take off for the plot line
which was cute but could have been a lot
better and more connected, but the cast and the effects
were amazing
it was pretty much as cute as can be.
love love LOVED it when they were "glowing: :wub:

speaking of classic film
i saw the More the Merrier from 1943 with
Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea and Charles Coburn

10/10

i really like it and was very entertained.
they don't make movies and write plot lines
like they used to

Candice Dionysus
04-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Defendor - 9/10

What a movie. My brother and I bought it at WalMart purely on impulse, because it's Woody Harrelson as a child-like superhero. XD I'd have given it a ten, but it ripped like every DC comic ever made, so that took it down to 9. XD But it's awesome, and I think everyone should watch it at least once.

fernandito
04-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Rebel Without A Cause - 6/10

While the film deals with universal themes that most can relate to - the misunderstanding of youth, the sometimes exasperating relationship between teenagers and their parents, the wanting to be accepted by your peers - the overly melodramatic way in which it most of the dialogue is delivered was often off putting and ruined immersion in pivotal moments.

Woofer
04-27-2010, 09:15 AM

Which reminds me...

The Philadelphia Story will be showing at the Castle Theatre at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday. Basically we all sit around at our homes and watch this movie, interjecting comments in the Castle Theatre thread. All are welcome to attend.

Ricky
04-27-2010, 10:00 AM
:lol: Oh, I'm pretty old .... 44. :lol:

Seriouisly? I never would have guessed. Judging by your posts, etc., I could've sworn you were in your late twenties, early thirties. :)

On topic, I haven't seen any movies lately. Anyone have any good recommendations in the suspense genre?

I've been eager to go see Date Night, as Carell and Fey are my personal heroes ( :clap: ). Is it any good?

fernandito
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
On topic, I haven't seen any movies lately. Anyone have any good recommendations in the suspense genre?

Check out Under Suspicion with Gene Hackman and Monica Bellucci (sigh :wub:) if you haven't done so already.

Woofer
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Are you looking for new or old suspense? I find Rope a great deal of fun suspense, different from the usual type of suspense.

turtlex
04-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh, for suspense ... you can't go wrong with Gaslight from 1944.

Oscar winner for Ingrid Bergman.

Ricky
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Oh, both Rope and Under Suspicion look really good! Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbsup:

Heather19
04-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I just watched Citizen Kane for the first time. I loved the style that the camera had throughout the film. I really loved the use of mirrors and reflections.

10/10

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. The whole film is a masterpiece in my opinion.
You should check out The Lady from Shanghai. It wasn't the greatest film, but the last scene in the funhouse is truly phenomenal.

Rebel Without A Cause - 6/10

While the film deals with universal themes that most can relate to - the misunderstanding of youth, the sometimes exasperating relationship between teenagers and their parents, the wanting to be accepted by your peers - the overly melodramatic way in which it most of the dialogue is delivered was often off putting and ruined immersion in pivotal moments.

NO! Only a 6 :( I thought for sure that you were going to love it.
What did you think of James Dean? That's the first time you've seen him right? It wasn't his acting that bothered you was it?

And I agree Pam. I'm loving all the classics love around here lately :couple:
I've really been wanting to see Gaslight. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've only seen the 1940 version.

Still Servant
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
2 / 10

If you had trouble understanding Melike's rating of 2 for Sherlock Holmes, then I have trouble understanding your rating of 10/10.

I know we all have different interpretations of the rating system, but to me 10/10 means a classic film. A timeless film that can hold its place among the best films of all time.

If that's your interpretation, I just don't get it. To me Holmes is not a 2 but it's certainly not a 10. You seem to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes and I'm going to assume that's why you enjoyed it so much.

I'm not a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but that's hardly the reason why I would give the film about a 5 or 6. The main reason is style over substance. The great thing about a mystery film is being able to play along with the protagonist. In Holmes, the story is so convoluted it's almost impossible to follow. Then in the end, it's all explained to the viewer with no real basis.

Downey and Law are great together and the setting is picture perfect, but the story is a downright mess.

I know everybody has different taste in film, but 10/10 for Sherlock Holmes seems a little much.

SynysterSaint
04-27-2010, 05:11 PM
If you had trouble understanding Melike's rating of 2 for Sherlock Holmes, then I have trouble understanding your rating of 10/10.

I know we all have different interpretations of the rating system, but to me 10/10 means a classic film. A timeless film that can hold its place among the best films of all time.

If that's your interpretation, I just don't get it. To me Holmes is not a 2 but it's certainly not a 10. You seem to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes and I'm going to assume that's why you enjoyed it so much.

I'm not a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but that's hardly the reason why I would give the film about a 5 or 6. The main reason is style over substance. The great thing about a mystery film is being able to play along with the protagonist. In Holmes, the story is so convoluted it's almost impossible to follow. Then in the end, it's all explained to the viewer with no real basis.

Downey and Law are great together and the setting is picture perfect, but the story is a downright mess.

I know everybody has different taste in film, but 10/10 for Sherlock Holmes seems a little much.

I hold the same rating system as you do. The books of Sherlock Holmes are considered to be classics, correct? And I think I've proven that the movie follows the formula and the design of the books perfectly. So, therefore, the movie is on par with the books. If the books are labeled one way, then I believe the movie should be labeled as such, as well.

The story is a downright mess? The story follows the exact same formula as the books! Every Holmes story plays out as such: adversary introduced, all things explained using paranormal phenomena, Holmes finds leads, adversary is caught, everything explained with science. It seems to me that you don't have a problem with the story's plot but with the original Holmes plots. Like I said: Guy Ritchie did a fantastic job with this film. It should stand alongside the books as being classic mystery tales.

And if it's any consolation: my friend and I both went to see the film together and guessed pretty much all of the plot at the same time that Holmes did, but we're also avid Holmes fans. When I started watching Dr. Who, I couldn't guess any of the mystery-based plots. But after watching a lot of episodes, I can now guess anything that's going to happen. It's all about how familiar you are with the material.

Still Servant
04-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, I'm not sure if I'm putting words in your mouth or not, but it seems like you're telling me that in order to enjoy the film you have to be a fan of past Sherlock Holmes material.

If that's the case, then Guy Ritchie failed miserably. As a director, you can't just aim to satisfy fans of Sherlock Holmes. You have to entertain the people who have never read a Sherlock Holmes book, seen a movie or TV show.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek. Before last summer, I had never seen one second of a Star Trek movie or TV show. That being said, I loved the new Star Trek film and thought it was one of the best movies I saw all year.

J.J. Abrams for the win.

SynysterSaint
04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Well, I'm not sure if I'm putting words in your mouth or not, but it seems like you're telling me that in order to enjoy the film you have to be a fan of past Sherlock Holmes material.

If that's the case, then Guy Ritchie failed miserably. As a director, you can't just aim to satisfy fans of Sherlock Holmes. You have to entertain the people who have never read a Sherlock Holmes book, seen a movie or TV show.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek. Before last summer, I had never seen one second of a Star Trek movie or TV show. That being said, I loved the new Star Trek film and thought it was one of the best movies I saw all year.

J.J. Abrams for the win.

I'm not saying that you have to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but I'm saying that if you're going to be critical of a movie, then you need to be understanding of the source material it came from. I have friends that had never read a Holmes novel that loved it, but they loved it for different reasons than Ryan (my friend who had read Holmes) and I did.

Just throwing this out there: I hate J.J. Abrams. Cloverfield was pretty good, as was Star Trek, but I hate what he did with Lost. I cannot forgive him for killing it. J.J. Abrams is a one-trick pony.

Still Servant
04-27-2010, 05:56 PM
J.J. Abrams has had little to nothing to do with Lost since its first season. Cuse and Lindleoff have taken over day-to-day operation of the show.

Besides a hiccup here and there, Lost has been a consistently good show in each season.

I didn't really care for Cloverfield, but I've liked everything else Abrams has created.

By giving Holmes a 10/10 you're basically saying it's one of your favorite films. Without knowing you, I'm saying you might be overrating it even among your own standards. Since I don't know what other films you think deserve a 10/10, I can't really make an accurate assessment.

My hunch is that there are a bunch of other movies you feel deserve a 10/10 over Holmes.

SynysterSaint
04-27-2010, 06:38 PM
By giving Holmes a 10/10 you're basically saying it's one of your favorite films. Without knowing you, I'm saying you might be overrating it even among your own standards. Since I don't know what other films you think deserve a 10/10, I can't really make an accurate assessment.

My hunch is that there are a bunch of other movies you feel deserve a 10/10 over Holmes.

There are very few things I care about as much as Sherlock Holmes, be it the old stories or the new movie (none of the other movies, though).

Dagavidiab
04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Just throwing this out there: I hate J.J. Abrams. Cloverfield was pretty good, as was Star Trek, but I hate what he did with Lost. I cannot forgive him for killing it. J.J. Abrams is a one-trick pony.

EYYYYY!!!! Watch your writing! Lost is a little behind in my country... So, don´t mess with me! :angry:

SynysterSaint
04-27-2010, 08:01 PM
EYYYYY!!!! Watch your writing! Lost is a little behind in my country... So, don´t mess with me! :angry:

Don't worry, I'm not going to drop any spoilers. I haven't liked Lost since the second or third season. Saying "J.J. Abrams killed it" isn't a new thing for me.

turtlex
04-28-2010, 02:45 AM
Oh, you know - no one is ever going to agree 100% on any kind of rating system, we're all individuals, who look at movies through our own eyes and react to them ( hopefully ) on a very emotional level.

I saw where Feev rated Rebel Without A Cause at a 6/10 and I completely respect his appraisal of it. I also disagree ( :D ) and would give it a solid 8.5/10 myself.

Even judging techincal aspects of things is a personal matter. I find a lot of special effects that other people think are so great look too "video-game-like" for me. ( Basically - all of Avatar ) This would really bring my rating of a movie everyone else thinks is amazing - way down.

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Basically - all of Avatar

Don't forget the sub-par acting, script, casting, and soundtrack! ;)

turtlex
04-28-2010, 03:00 AM
SS - Oh, I'm not forgetting. :couple:

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 03:44 AM
:huglove:

Melike
04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Please don't get angry at me again, but I would give Avatar ''0''.

Woofer
04-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Also, if a CGI effect is used where a different effect would work, then the rating drops a bit. Sometimes you need real explosions or monsters in rubber suits or an actual shot from a helicopter.

<---Another plug for The Philadelphia Story--->
Where else can you watch a movie with people from all over the world? Well, probably another website, but we're not on that site, we're on this one. So don't forget: Sat, 2 May 2010, 2:00 P.M. CST. Be there or be... be... be without Apple Jacks.

Still Servant
04-28-2010, 04:08 PM

A zero? Damn, you're a hard grader. There are very few films that I would ever give a zero to. It would have to have no redeeming qualities.

At the very least Avatar created a beautiful world. That has to count for something. Even people who disliked Avatar at least give it that.

Heck, I loathed Southland Tales but I still would give it 2 out of 10.

cody44
04-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I hope you all don't mind if I say a few words about a film that I just happened to watch for the first time; The English Patient. This has to be a new contender for my tip five movies ever. Besides the amazing plot, camera (wow, has a desert ever looked more realistic in a movie), and acting, this film had feel of a classic love story, rivaling even the likes of Casablanca (if not passing it). I immediately wanted to go back and give the film another viewing. It's so multi-layed, that I'm sure it would retain all of its beauty. I give this film a 10/10. Fo those that haven't seen it, I strony recommend it!

The Man Who Knew Too Much - 7/10. A very strong film with some overall good scenes (how could one not love the Royal Albert Hall moments). I watched the 50's version with Doris Day and Stewart. Phenominal acting, but a bit predictable, not to mention the story ends a bit abrubtly.

Melike
04-28-2010, 10:34 PM

A zero? Damn, you're a hard grader. There are very few films that I would ever give a zero to. It would have to have no redeeming qualities.

At the very least Avatar created a beautiful world. That has to count for something. Even people who disliked Avatar at least give it that.

Heck, I loathed Southland Tales but I still would give it 2 out of 10.

No, not really. I rarely dislike a movie. The world in Avatar is beautiful, but I think it is not original. Somehow my mind associates creatures, places, even the story with Princess Mononoke. I don't say this is a fact. But Avatar world irritates me.

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 10:44 PM
No, not really. I rarely dislike a movie. The world in Avatar is beautiful, but I think it is not original. Somehow my mind associates creatures, places, even the story with Princess Mononoke. I don't say this is a fact. But Avatar world irritates me.

Avatar was Pocahontas, in and out.

velcro_fly
04-28-2010, 10:54 PM
I give this film a 10/10. Fo those that haven't seen it, I strony recommend it!
I never really liked The English Patient, I remember nearly falling asleep and wanting the movie to end.

I just watched "The Lovely Bones". Having not read the book, I didn't know what to expect, and let me just say, what a strange film. The acting was good, Stanley Tucci was fantastic, and creepy, the CGI was cool, but the story just seemed to be long and dull. 6/10

Melike
04-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Ah yes.

turtlex
04-29-2010, 02:54 AM

:blush: As if I needed another reason to :wub: Melike.

Hmmm... what movie would I give a 0/10? That's hard for me - usually there is one small flashing second of something I enjoy so at least to give a movie a 1/10.

For instance ... Palmetto. Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. But, there's one shot of Gina Gershon in these cute little overalls that is just enough for me to give it a 1/10. :lol: ( oh, and the scene with the typewriter in the river ... funny, but probably not intended to be - I guess that might push it to a 1.5/10 ).

Ah, English Patient. That is one of those movies, I swear either you love it or you hated it. Me? I felt it was over-long and would give it, maybe, a 5/10.

Darkthoughts
04-29-2010, 01:20 PM
My boss lent me Avatar, it's kinda funny really because she thinks we have the same taste but we completely don't, it's not even a movie that I have any interest in watching. The kids watched it with my husband and they enjoyed it - they being the kids, Rob fell asleep :lol:

I've just finished watching a British film, Happy-Go_Lucky, which is by director Mike Leigh. It's typical Leigh in that it essentially doesn't have a plot - he tends to make observations about ordinary people and their lives. To be honest I'm not generally a fan, but I loved this one for some reason. The actress in the main part was either inspired casting, or she's really like that in real life. It was dark in places, but mostly honest and...well, lovely really :)

I reserve 8, 9 and 10 for something really special and mind blowing - so when I give Happy-Go-Lucky a 7, it's a good 7.

Still Servant
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Don't judge a book by its cover. Just because a movie looks like something you might not like, doesn't mean that will be the case after viewing it.

My mom had zero interest in Watching Avatar, but she gave it a chance and ended up really enjoying it. Sure, it's sci-fi, but it deals with really life issues and is basically a story about love.

Extract 6/10

Well, it's no Office Space, but there's enough there to at least be worth watching. I really like Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, J.K. Simmons, Mila Kunis, and Ben Affleck (yes, I realize I'm the only person in the world that likes him) so that's mainly why I rented the film.

Unfortunately, the movie doesn't really use these actors to the best of their ability. Especially Wiig who seems really wasted here.

Rent it for the people in the film and just enjoy it for what it is.

fernandito
04-30-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm going to come right out and say it - I loved Avatar. All of this 'story isn't original' irritates the hell out of me. In that case, Dances with Wolves is just another re-imagining of Pocahontas. A Fistful of Dollars has has no value because it's an exact replica of Yojimbo. The Magnificent Seven deserves a low score because it's a western remake of Seven Samurai.

No, the story is not original. Has it ever been presented in this way before ? No. Seeing Avatar in 3D Imax is a theatrical experience I will not soon forget. Yes, the film occasionally feels too long for it's own good - but the production values, the immersion, the almost photo realistic CGI segments never seen before (I swear I almost felt as if I was peering over the cliffs myself at times), the embedded love story - all of these things assure Avatar a special place in my heart.

Melike
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Shizzie, this is the first time we totally disagree with each other.

I see your point on originality. But I can't see Avatar as a re-imagined Pocahontas (and/or Princess Mononoke). The movie takes its all power from technical success. Nothing else special. That is why I find it so insincere. Like writing ''smoking kills'' on packs of cigarettes.

fernandito
04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
We will definitely have to agree to disagree. Not retreading the same ground with the technical aspects, I'll just say that I was genuinely moved by the very tender, sincere relationship (within the context of the movie) that slowly developed between Jake and his Na'vi counterpart. The part where

she holds him in her arms as a human for the first time, as the general is attacking them with his mecha

was one of the films highlights.

turtlex
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
:lol: Gosh, I can't tell you the last time I saw a totally original story/movie.

I mean, my friends are I are always laughing about how Star Wars is Lord Of The Rings is Harry Potter, etc. and they're all based on Greek myths!

My issues with Avatar are just that ... honestly, I got very bored with it being too cartoony and, again, to me - it looked like a video game, too much like a video game. It was nothing special.

Insert warning here - I am not a James Cameron fan, so I completely own that I went in with an attitude. I hated ( hated!! ) Titanic and thought it was just one of the worst movies ever. And the thing is - I loved ( loved!! ) T2 and Aliens, so have felt let down by JC since then.

Still Servant
04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Feev, don't get too bent out of shape. When something is as popular as Avatar, there will always be a bunch of people that rebel against it. That's just the way it is. I'm not sure why that happens, but it just does.

See Titanic. Like Turtlex, there are so many people who hate that movie for little or no reason. My sister is one of them. She liked it when it first came out, but now she hates it. I just don't get that.

turtlex
04-30-2010, 03:42 PM
:lol: Oh, I have many reasons for hating Titanic. The editing ( is there any editing? ), the horrible acting, the overly simplistic ( historically inaccurate ) script, the over-long theatrical cut. I've never been so happy to see a boat go down in my life ( and sincerely, that was the coolest scene in the movie ). Oh, yeah, and the complete lack of chemistry between the leads.

Ricky
04-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Jeeze Pam, did something traumatic happen in our childhood that prompted your complete hatred for a movie about a sinking ship and hundreds of people dying? Like...a boating accident? :lol:

Heather19
04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
:lol: Oh, I have many reasons for hating Titanic. The editing ( is there any editing? ), the horrible acting, the overly simplistic ( historically inaccurate ) script, the over-long theatrical cut. I've never been so happy to see a boat go down in my life ( and sincerely, that was the coolest scene in the movie ). Oh, yeah, and the complete lack of chemistry between the leads.

You don't think Kate and Leo had chemistry?

Still Servant
04-30-2010, 06:12 PM

I second that question. Your other reasons for hating Titanic are (for the most part) valid, but I thought the chemistry between Leo and Kate was spot on.

As far as historical inaccuracies are concerned, if I wanted a history lesson, I'll watch The History Channel. I'm not saying that a film should throw the history book out the window and do their own thing. I'm just saying, I can enjoy a film even if it's not totally accurate.

Gladiator and Braveheart are two of my favorite films and they both have a ton of historical inaccuracies.

I tip my cap to you though Turtle, at least you have valid reasons for disliking it.

turtlex
05-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Jeeze Pam, did something traumatic happen in our childhood that prompted your complete hatred for a movie about a sinking ship and hundreds of people dying? Like...a boating accident? :lol:

:lol: This would explain so much .. but oddly, that is not the case. :P

Have I mentioned that Jaws is one of my favorite films?!?

Actually, no I didn't. They're both engaging actors usually, though I'm not a big fan of Leo's - I can admit that he is good actor at times ( sidenote, I think he's a director's actor, he needs a good script and a good director to bring out his ability ).

Kate and Leo : I found their interaction rather stilted and it felt like to me, Leo was acting to the camera and Kate was usually tossing meaningful looks around.

And though I know it was the script ( which , I thought was horrible ) - but Kate was quite the swashbuckling Renaissance woman in that movie! :lol:

I second that question. Your other reasons for hating Titanic are (for the most part) valid, but I thought the chemistry between Leo and Kate was spot on.

As far as historical inaccuracies are concerned, if I wanted a history lesson, I'll watch The History Channel. I'm not saying that a film should throw the history book out the window and do their own thing. I'm just saying, I can enjoy a film even if it's not totally accurate.

Gladiator and Braveheart are two of my favorite films and they both have a ton of historical inaccuracies.

I tip my cap to you though Turtle, at least you have valid reasons for disliking it.

I agree, somewhat about the History Channel thing ... but another part of me says "if we know the facts, either give us the facts, or don't call it Titanic." That's where I ended up with that movie with regards to accuracy.

I mean Gladiator and Braveheart - those movies are intereptations of their particular times. So, I guess, someone could argue that they're accurate or not, because how can we know for certain?!? However with Titanic - we have some hard facts and details. It's hard to overlook those - at least it was for me.

Thanks, SS, and I tip my hats to all of us. Agree or not, I respect all your opinions and love reading your thoughts.

SynysterSaint
05-01-2010, 08:03 AM
I mean, my friends are I are always laughing about how Star Wars is based on Greek myths!

I was under the impression it was based on Christian myth :orely:

Heather19
05-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Actually, no I didn't. They're both engaging actors usually, though I'm not a big fan of Leo's - I can admit that he is good actor at times ( sidenote, I think he's a director's actor, he needs a good script and a good director to bring out his ability ).

Kate and Leo : I found their interaction rather stilted and it felt like to me, Leo was acting to the camera and Kate was usually tossing meaningful looks around.

And though I know it was the script ( which , I thought was horrible ) - but Kate was quite the swashbuckling Renaissance woman in that movie! :lol:

Interesting. You're the first person that I've heard say that. I love the two of them together. I think they make a wonderful combo. Have you seen Revolutionary Road? I know you're not a fan of Leo, but I think that is some of the best acting I've ever seen from him.

turtlex
05-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey Heather - No, I've not seen Revolutionary Road, but it is on my list of movies to see.

I don't hate Leo in everything, not at all. I liked DeCaprio in Blood Diamond, I liked him in The Beach ( And I liked that movie until Danny Boyle abandoned the picture into a video game - I don't think that worked at all ). I thought he was excellent in Basketball Diaries.

However - one that he's had raves for - I didn't like him The Aviator. I thought that was a complete lesson in overacting.

I just didn't like him, or Kate, in Titantic. For me, it just didn't work. I didn't feel it at all.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't help what I feel.

Heather19
05-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I'll be quite curious to hear your thoughts on it. I thought it was a very powerful film. And I haven't seen The Aviator yet so I can't comment on that one, but I'll let you know what I think when I do.

turtlex
05-01-2010, 10:20 AM
The thing I did like about The Aviator - excellent supporting cast.

I'll try to bump up RR, so I see it sooner than later - but I have a ton of movies to watch. Which is never a bad thing, at least not for me.
:grouphug:

Darkthoughts
05-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Pam, I'm with you - I thought Titanic was dreadful for all the same reasons you've stated. I loved Leo in The Beach and Kate in things like Hideous Kinky, so it's not that they can't act - but Titanic was so hammy it was painful.

SS, it's not the sci-fi aspect of Avatar that puts me off it - I love sci-fi/fantasy - it's just a combination of massive special effects and a war plot combined with a love story that just has me yawning. I'm just not a blockbuster type of girl, most films in the last couple of years working on that same premise have failed to interest me long enough to sit through the whole movie.

turtlex
05-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Lisa :wub: :couple:

velcro_fly
05-02-2010, 12:01 AM

I Agree 100%

Melike
05-02-2010, 01:15 AM
The Brave: 7/10
I loved acting, even children were great. Story is touching, scenery is beautiful. I also loved soundtrack. I had never thought Depp would be successful as a director. Now I see he is good at it.

Ricky
05-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Saw Date Night yesterday. Tina Fey and Steve Carell are two of my favorite people in the world and I love almost everything they do in movies/TV, so I was really looking forward to seeing this movie. Because I'm so used to them doing alot of improv and their own screenwriting on 30 Rock and The Office, I went in thinking it would be the same for Date Night. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Neither Tina nor Steve was affiliated with the script, and many of the good improv moments were included in the post-movie blooper reel.

Aside from the fact that the script wasn't as good as it could've been if Fey or Carell wrote it, and that it had a bit too much action for a comedy film, I really enjoyed it as a whole.

I'm giving it a 5.5-6/10, not because it was bad, but because it wasn't as good as it could've been. I'm sure I'll be getting the DVD when it comes out.

Plus, a good 10 minutes of audio was cut off in my theater due to speaker problems, so they gave me a free pass for another movie. Woo!

Still Servant
05-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Interesting. You're the first person that I've heard say that. I love the two of them together. I think they make a wonderful combo. Have you seen Revolutionary Road? I know you're not a fan of Leo, but I think that is some of the best acting I've ever seen from him.

Heather, what did you think of Revolutionary Road? I put that film off for a long time because the subject matter is so heavy, but I really liked it.

Great performances by Leo, Kate and a movie stealing (Oscar nominated) performance by Michael Shannon.

The film is kind of sad and super stressful, but I still liked it.

As far as The Aviator, I really did not like that film. I'm not really sure why, but I just could not get into that movie.

turtlex
05-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Couple of quick hits from this weekends movie viewing :

Billy Elliot - 10/10 This is a gem of a film and I loved it completely. Honestly, this is one of those feel-good films that is one of my favorites. Awesome performances by Jamie Bell as Billy and Julie Walters as his dance teacher. Julie Walters is a gift, really. She's wonderful.

A Time To Kill - 8/10 Is it wrong that I think this is Sandra Bullock's best performance? Matthew McConaughey's, too. Excellent cast. The script is a bit preachy, which is why the 8/10.

Changeling - 8/10 Excellent lead performance by Angelina Jolie, and good storytelling by director Clint Eastwood. Truly an under-rated film.

Heather19
05-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Heather, what did you think of Revolutionary Road? I put that film off for a long time because the subject matter is so heavy, but I really liked it.

Great performances by Leo, Kate and a movie stealing (Oscar nominated) performance by Michael Shannon.

The film is kind of sad and super stressful, but I still liked it.

As far as The Aviator, I really did not like that film. I'm not really sure why, but I just could not get into that movie.

I loved it. But I agree it was probably one of the most depressing films I have ever seen. I know a lot of people that won't watch it because of that, but the acting in that film is so strong. I really think Leo should have been up for an Oscar for that role. He was definitely passed by that year.

Pam, I loved Changeling :couple:

turtlex
05-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Okay... a little comparison please.

The most depressing movie I have ever seen, hands-down it was Sophie's Choice. Have any of seen that? And how do Revolutionary Road and Sophie's Choice compare?

Because seriously, after watching Sophie's Chioce ... Shite. You left that movie wanting to commit suicide or something. It was so draining. I'm not sure I'd want to see RR, if it's even close to that kind of emotional trauma.

Sam
05-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Kinda reminds me of In The Bedroom with Sissy Spacek. I went with my wife to see it and told her I would never go see another like that again. I left that film torn between wanting to cut my wrists and wanting to hunt someone down and slaughter them, mainly the director of the film.

Sam
05-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm going to come right out and say it - I loved Avatar. All of this 'story isn't original' irritates the hell out of me. In that case, Dances with Wolves is just another re-imagining of Pocahontas. A Fistful of Dollars has has no value because it's an exact replica of Yojimbo. The Magnificent Seven deserves a low score because it's a western remake of Seven Samurai.

Dude, I so totally agree with most of that statement. Since I learned who Akira Kurosawa was, I haven't watched A Fistful of Dollars or The Magnificent Seven. Honestly, I can't be bothered to watch either one of those films when I have the real deal sitting here waiting for me.

A Fistful of Dollars has no value, not because it's an exact replica but because it was stolen, and The Magnificent Seven isn't so magnificent once you've experienced the raw force that is Seven Samurai.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

fernandito
05-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street - 6/10

Effective editing and striking audio cues , coupled with a compelling performance by Haley as Freddy made for an enjoyable horror movie - theater experience.

The Lives of Others - 8/10

A fascinating look into a society poisoned by secrecy and the malicious abuse of power. The film's "hero" seeks to redeem his own soul by helping those he would otherwise seek to expose and imprison. A great foreign film.

SynysterSaint
05-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Dude, I so totally agree with most of that statement. Since I learned who Akira Kurosawa was, I haven't watched A Fistful of Dollars or The Magnificent Seven. Honestly, I can't be bothered to watch either one of those films when I have the real deal sitting here waiting for me.

A Fistful of Dollars has no value, not because it's an exact replica but because it was stolen, and The Magnificent Seven isn't so magnificent once you've experienced the raw force that is Seven Samurai.

A Fistful of Dollars loses all value because it was stolen, but not because it's an exact replica? Those two mean the exact same thing in the film industry. However, it is by far not an exact replica. The acting styles and the directorial moves are immensely different. Hell, AFoD defined the Spaghetti Western genre, which still influences movies, video games, music, art, and more still to this day! You can say that you don't like it because it's similar to Kurosawa's film, but by no means should you degrade its worth to cinema. AFoD and Leone deserve immense credit for what they were able to do.

And of course you're going to enjoy Seven Samurai better; in my opinion, it's the better film. However, The Magnificent Seven was made as an homage to SS by bringing the story, which was only available or relatable only to the Japanese at the time, to America in a way that Americans would be able to fully enjoy it. You have to realize that, at the time, SS would have been a total flop in America; the only way to bring the story over so that it would be appreciated would be to "Americanize" it.

Sam
05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I can appreciate the value of The Magnificent Seven. At the time, it WAS the only way for American audiences to experience Seven Samurai, and I understand it. That's not so today, and I am just saying that the one doesn't hold up when the other is available.

As for AFoD, yes it does lose all value because it's stolen. For me at least. I won't watch it and have no desire to do so simply by virtue of it having been stolen. Kurosawa sued Leone successfully for the theft, but that doesn't change my feelings. However, I acknowledge the impact that the film had upon the industry and our culture, and I lament that Leone apparently had no interest in making the film legitimate by acknowledging Kurosawa's film Yojimbo. I have no problems with it replicating the story and actually enjoyed Last Man Standing, another remake that starred Bruce Willis. My dislike of it stems fully and completely with the theft that created it.

Melike
05-03-2010, 11:13 AM

Effective editing and striking audio cues , coupled with a compelling performance by Haley as Freddy made for an enjoyable horror movie - theater experience.

The Lives of Others - 8/10

A fascinating look into a society poisoned by secrecy and the malicious abuse of power. The film's "hero" seeks to redeem his own soul by helping those he would otherwise seek to expose and imprison. A great foreign film.
:couple:
The Lives of Others! It is such a great movie. Highly recommended. Can't believe it was 3 years ago that I had insisted on this movie which has bored my friends like hell and made me feel guilty:innocent: for killing the night. :D
I have to re-watch it.

Heather19
05-03-2010, 01:47 PM

:couple: I think I'd give it a 6.5/10. I enjoyed it, and thought it was a pretty entertaining film. The one thing that I absolutely loved was how Freddy's voice echoed throughout the whole theater. One sec in sounded like it was in front of you and then the next right behind you. I've never really noticed that with other films before. My main complaint though was that I missed Robert Englund as Freddy. I'm so used to him that it was hard to see someone else in the role. Does anyone know why he didn't reprise his role?

The most depressing movie I have ever seen, hands-down it was Sophie's Choice. Have any of seen that? And how do Revolutionary Road and Sophie's Choice compare?

Because seriously, after watching Sophie's Chioce ... Shite. You left that movie wanting to commit suicide or something. It was so draining. I'm not sure I'd want to see RR, if it's even close to that kind of emotional trauma.

Sorry Pam I've never seen Sophie's Choice so I can't compare the two. But don't let what I said deter you from watching the film because it's excellent. Just prepare yourself before you go in.

Still Servant
05-03-2010, 04:08 PM

First of all, you misunderstood Feev. He was being facetious.

Forgive me if my response comes off as rude, that‘s not my intent. I know you‘re entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you can really comment on A Fistful of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven. Why don't you watch the films first, then come to a conclusion? Until then, I can't really take your assessment seriously.

A Fistful of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven don’t diminish Kurosawa's work. You should at least give them a chance. If not, then that sucks for you because you are missing out on two great films. It would be a shame if you missed out on two great films because you're being stubborn.

It just seems kind of silly to be taking such a stance. They are just movies. Sit back and enjoy them.

Sam
05-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I've seen both films. I saw The Magnificent Seven both before and after watching Seven Samurai, and watched Yojimbo before I saw A Fistful of Dollars. While watching AFoD I saw the many similarities between the two filmls and was surprised I didn't see anything saying AFoD was inspired by or adapted from Yojimbo. When I learned of the theft by Leone is when I decided never to watch it again, and when that particular film lost its value to me.

So my opinion on the two films is not one made from ignorance, but one from having seen all the films in question. I understand your response wasn't intentionally rude, and I don't feel like you were being so. As for being able to sit back and enjoy them, I simply can't. The Magnificent Seven just feels like it's missing something, and I can't enjoy it because of that feeling. And I can't enjoy Fistful of Dollars because I know Leone stole it. That's the same reason I have no interest in the German Bootleg King Limiteds too.

So, I've given them a chance, and watching them feels similar to going out to buy Chop Steak when you have NY Strip (or whatever type of expensive steak you like) at home ready to cook however you want.

turtlex
05-04-2010, 02:29 AM

Sorry Pam I've never seen Sophie's Choice so I can't compare the two. But don't let what I said deter you from watching the film because it's excellent. Just prepare yourself before you go in.

Good advice. It's on my "to see" list now. Thanks!!

Empath of the White
05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Just caught Dragonball the other day on HBO. 4/10: The 4 is because Emmy Rossum made a good Bulma, and Marsters was a good Piccolo. The changes didn't make sense at all. The anime had some beautiful landscapes that would've looked great in live action. Instead we get a city. There's 7 magical ball, a green-skinned guy plus his flying contraption and energy attacks...so realism can't be why the made Goku a high school kid or overdid it on the modern setting.

Overall, just bad.

fernandito
05-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Don't even get me started on the Dragonball movie. I'm one of the biggest Dragonball /Z/GT fans in this level of the Tower, and I can't stand that movie. I'd rather chew razor blades, watch grass grow, or watch paint dry then to wash that 2 hour tripe again.

Melike
05-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Dragon Ball movie is just a big disappointment.

Dagavidiab
05-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Just caught Dragonball the other day on HBO. 4/10: The 4 is because Emmy Rossum made a good Bulma, and Marsters was a good Piccolo. The changes didn't make sense at all. The anime had some beautiful landscapes that would've looked great in live action. Instead we get a city. There's 7 magical ball, a green-skinned guy plus his flying contraption and energy attacks...so realism can't be why the made Goku a high school kid or overdid it on the modern setting.

Overall, just bad.

4/10?????????????????

That is way too high

SynysterSaint
05-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Don't even get me started on the Dragonball movie. I'm one of the biggest Dragonball /Z/GT fans in this level of the Tower, and I can't stand that movie. I'd rather chew razor blades, watch grass grow, or watch paint dry then to wash that 2 hour tripe again.

Not to put down your love of the anime, feev, but my friend Kostyantyn (we call him Rhys) learned English by watching DBZ and nothing else for 3 straight months before moving to America from Ukraine. I think he wins for the most emphatic DBZ fan on this level of the Tower :lol:

SynysterSaint
05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
I can appreciate the value of The Magnificent Seven. At the time, it WAS the only way for American audiences to experience Seven Samurai, and I understand it. That's not so today, and I am just saying that the one doesn't hold up when the other is available.

I would disagree. I feel that TMS still holds a place in American cinema today. Anime is becoming more and more popular with younger kids these days, and now some of them are even getting into Japanese culture. Their best way to find out about amazing directors such as Kurosawa is to watch the famous American counterparts. It's a way to spread information about Kurosawa and get kids interested in other various aspects of Japanese culture. Not to mention, after seeing films such as TMS it's a lot easier to relate Japanese teachings to their lives here in America. I see TMS (and, for that matter, AFoD) as a learning experience; even a step in the direction of a bigger, better truth (which is Kurosawa).

As for AFoD, yes it does lose all value because it's stolen. For me at least. I won't watch it and have no desire to do so simply by virtue of it having been stolen. Kurosawa sued Leone successfully for the theft, but that doesn't change my feelings. However, I acknowledge the impact that the film had upon the industry and our culture, and I lament that Leone apparently had no interest in making the film legitimate by acknowledging Kurosawa's film Yojimbo. I have no problems with it replicating the story and actually enjoyed Last Man Standing, another remake that starred Bruce Willis. My dislike of it stems fully and completely with the theft that created it.

So if Leone had simply tag-lined the film as being inspired by Kurosawa, you'd be fine with it? Because it's only the general idea of the film; Leone created a long, interweaving tale that lasted 3 films which only stemmed from Kurosawa's film. There's much more to the Dollars trilogy than the first film. I still think The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of the finest American films every conceived.

Still Servant
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Sam, you stated in your post, "I can't be bothered to watch either one of those films," that's why I was under the impression you had never seen them.

Since you have seen them, you are more than qualified to make your assessment of the films. I don't agree with it, but I understand. I know your a fan of Kurosawa, so I can see how you are kind of honoring his body of work by boycotting the other films, I just think it's a little unfair. Especially in the case of The Magnificent Seven.

A good example I could use is Quentin Tarantino. He uses a lot of themes from all types of films (including Kurosawa and the spaghetti westerns) does it make his work any less impressive?

Some would say yes, I say no. Impersonation is the best form of flattery. I don't see anything wrong with a director paying homage to something that inspires him. I know in the case of Leone it was a little more than that, but A Fistful of Dollars is still a great film.

Still Servant
05-04-2010, 04:35 PM
To Live & Die in L.A. 8/10

This was a really nice find. Kind of a forgotten 80's cop flick in an era that was chock full of them. The film is overflowing with cop drama cliches, but I thought it was more refreshing than some of the similar films from that time.

William Peterson, he of CSI fame, is a secret service agent trying to bring down a counterfeiter, played by Willem Dafoe. Peterson is great in his first real role, it kind of surprises me that he disappeared for a while before resurfacing on CSI.

Dafoe is vintage Dafoe. He's just as creepy and crazy as ever.

If you're a fan of 80's films, your going to love this one. It comes equipped with a pulse pumping soundtrack by Wang Chung.

To Live and Die in L.A. is directed by William Friedkin, who also brought us The French Connection. While it's not as genre defining as Connection, it has some great shoot out scenes and some cool chase scenes.

If you're looking for a action packed, suspenseful cop flick that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, then this one is for you.

SynysterSaint
05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
A good example I could use is Quentin Tarantino. He uses a lot of themes from all types of films (including Kurosawa and the spaghetti westerns) does it make his work any less impressive?

I've been thinking about Tarantino this entire time; he's in my top 5 favorite directors. He certainly borrows a lot of elements and pays homage to older directors and writers, but he will outright tell you which movies were inspiration for different films. I think that's where Sam is looking at the distinction: Leone didn't. Not that it makes his movies any less good, but it can indeed put a sour taste in someone's mouth over a film. It's the same reason I don't use Ubuntu (I hate Canonical) and why I don't buy Macs or iPods (I hate Apple).

Sam
05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
So if Leone had simply tag-lined the film as being inspired by Kurosawa, you'd be fine with it? Because it's only the general idea of the film; Leone created a long, interweaving tale that lasted 3 films which only stemmed from Kurosawa's film. There's much more to the Dollars trilogy than the first film. I still think The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of the finest American films every conceived.

If Leone had simply tag-lined the film as inspired by Yojimbo, I would have no problem with it at all. I've seen the other films of the series and thought they were very good too. It's just that one that I won't watch. If I find out the other films were similarly stolen, I won't watch them either.

In the case of Tarantino, he admits the homage toward other films and genres. Leone claimed AFoD was original to him. Big difference in my book.

turtlex
05-05-2010, 02:35 AM
SS - To Live And Die In LA .... Yeah, that's a cool movie. Wow, haven't thought about that in a long time. I'd give it a 8/10 as well. Did you rent, or catch it on cable somewhere?!?

( remember when it first came out? there was a lot of pressure to edit it up, because the gov thought that it showed too much detail about how to counterfeit money ! )

SynysterSaint
05-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I am getting so confused between having another user in this thread whose initials are SS and the movie Seven Samurai that I was abreviating as SS :lol:

Still Servant
05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
SS - To Live And Die In LA .... Yeah, that's a cool movie. Wow, haven't thought about that in a long time. I'd give it a 8/10 as well. Did you rent, or catch it on cable somewhere?!?

( remember when it first came out? there was a lot of pressure to edit it up, because the gov thought that it showed too much detail about how to counterfeit money ! )

I had To Live and Die in L.A. in my Netflix queue for a while, then one night I was searching movies that were going to be on my cable and I found it on at like 3 in the morning so I just recorded it.

I have so many cable channels and I love searching through them from time to time seeing if there's anything interesting that's on. I find a lot of good films that I've never seen that way.

Also, you guys can just call me Servant. Or Mike. Whatever works.

SynysterSaint
05-05-2010, 05:15 PM
If Leone had simply tag-lined the film as inspired by Yojimbo, I would have no problem with it at all. I've seen the other films of the series and thought they were very good too. It's just that one that I won't watch. If I find out the other films were similarly stolen, I won't watch them either.

In the case of Tarantino, he admits the homage toward other films and genres. Leone claimed AFoD was original to him. Big difference in my book.

Fair enough. I can agree with that. It does piss me off that directors and writers steal material quite often. What pisses me off just as much, however, is when a writer or director claims to be paying homage to a work while completely changing major plot or character developments. A perfect example: Stanley Kubrick. I recently saw A Clockwork Orange and it made me almost as angry as when I saw The Shining. I have no idea why directors/writers think they have that much liberty with stories.

JRM
05-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Batman Begins (DVD). 9/10 :rock:

Ricky
05-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Was that your first viewing? If so, what'd you think?

JRM
05-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Was that your first viewing? If so, what'd you think?

No. This was actually like, my 5th. :blush: But I love it. Lol. Dark Knight is even better, imo. One of my all time favs.

Heather19
05-08-2010, 01:45 PM
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus 8/10

Loved it :)

Brice
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM
SS, you didn't like ACO?

boq
05-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Could barely stay awake through "A Nightmare on Elm Street". Apparenly the original's better?
Did however catch the colourised version of "20 Million Miles to Earth". I love that Ymir creature. Harryhausen's so gifted.

Brice
05-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Could barely stay awake through "A Nightmare on Elm Street". Apparenly the original's better?
Did however catch the colourised version of "20 Million Miles to Earth". I love that Ymir creature. Harryhausen's so gifted.

You haven't seen the original???? :panic: Go...watch...NOW!

turtlex
05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Iron Man 2 - 6/10.

Honestly, it wasn't even close to as good as the first one - which I thought was really a lot of fun and would give a 8.5/10. Sam Rockwell is the best part of Iron Man 2 - he had a lot of fun with his role. However, I thought this was a really poor story, and felt sort of disconnected. Not to mention, RDJ - in this film, just comes off as an ass, rather than the cocky, overly-charming Tony Stark he delivered in the first movie. If it is at all possible, Scarlett Johansson is even worse than I've ever seen her before ( I loved her in Lost In Translation and Ghost World, but she's fairly horrible in most other things ). Mickey Rourke was wasted - they should have given him so much more to do, same with Gwyneth Paltrow. Disappointing.

Oh, and as always with these kinds of movies - stick around until after the crawl for a "mini" scene.

To be fair, my girlfriend really enjoyed Iron Man 2, and thought it was a lot of fun.

Still Servant
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
East of Eden 9/10

Growing up, I always heard the name James Dean linked to his performance in Rebel Without a Cause. It’s more well known than East of Eden, but after watching both films, I can honestly say that Dean’s performance in Eden is a more powerful performance.

From the first moment Dean appears on screen, it’s impossible to take your eyes off of him. Dean gives an amazing, layered performance as Cal Trask, a son looking for answers about the supposed death of his mother and longing for the approval of his father.

In East of Eden, Dean is the original “Emo”. He’s brooding, angry, sad and haunting; sometimes all in the same scene.

East of Eden is basically a tale of good versus evil. Cal being the evil and his brother Aron being the good. The parallels to the Bible’s Caine and Abel are obviously apparent.

Sibling rivalry in film is endlessly entertaining for me. Both of my parents have a sibling of the same sex. They often tell me (and my twin sister) about some of the struggles of growing up with a sibling of the same gender.

East of Eden is also a beautifully shot film. There are a few scenes where the camera is tilted and off kilter. It helps to add a sense of discomfort and disorientation. My favorite scene is the one where Dean is on a swing and is having a conversation with his father. Dean only replies to his father while in the foreground. Also, the gentle swaying of the camera adds to the building tension.

Probably my favorite shot from the film is where Cal has just left his brother with his mother, and stands out in the hallway. He casts a demented shadow on the floor that grows larger as he begins walking. Just good stuff.

Without giving too much away, the most memorable scene is when Cal tries to give his father the money. The scene is so sad and chilling. Anybody who has ever been denied appreciation for an accomplishment from a parent, will probably be brought to tears.

In the end, I think East of Eden has kind of gotten overshadowed by Rebel Without a Cause. Kind of like how Cal gets overshadowed by his brother. A pure must see classic indeed.

Heather19
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree with everything you just said :huglove: This movie is definitely underrated. And Dean's performance is so strong. I wish there were more actors that were willing to commit as much to a role as he did here. I was completely blown away the first time I saw it.

Without giving too much away, the most memorable scene is when Cal tries to give his father the money. The scene is so sad and chilling. Anybody who has ever been denied appreciation for an accomplishment from a parent, will probably be brought to tears.

And this is one of my all-time favorite movie scenes. It was so powerful, and somewhat hard to watch. It just makes me feel so sad everytime.

turtlex
05-11-2010, 02:33 AM
SS and Heather : :wub: Me, too. Loved EoE, and JD was awesome in it.

Yaksha
05-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors. 9/10. Definitely my favorite out of the whole series. I cant believe i have not seen the damn thing in over 10 years watching it was like watching it for the first time. Great movie and Robert Englund will always be Freddy to me

Heather19
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors. 9/10. Definitely my favorite out of the whole series. I cant believe i have not seen the damn thing in over 10 years watching it was like watching it for the first time. Great movie and Robert Englund will always be Freddy to me

I just watched this one a few weeks back and really enjoyed it as well. And I agree Robert Englund is Freddy :)

Brice
05-15-2010, 03:54 AM
He will always be the only Freddy Krueger for me.

alinda
05-15-2010, 04:06 AM

Ok do not laugh, I just watched this film for the first
time, and while I think it is most everything I heard
(visually stunning, timely message etc...) It wasnt
as OMG amazing as that. Good bit of film tho'. I
just dont know, it made how much money ?
Makes me with that I had gone into film making for sure.

Still Servant
05-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Deliver Us From Evil 10/10

Deliver Us From Evil is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. In fact, it might be one the best movies period.

I remember watching Ebert & Roeper review this film back in 2006. I wanted to see it, but since documentaries are hard to find in the theater, I had to wait until it came out on DVD. One thing led to another and I totally forgot about the movie.

Recently, I started thinking about it again but I couldn't remember the name. I'm glad I tracked it down because it is truly an amazing film.

I'm a Catholic and went to Catholic schools from Kindergarten through high school. That being said, you don't have to be Catholic to watch this film. You don't even have to be religious.

Simply put, everybody should see this movie.

For those who don't know, Deliver Us From Evil chronicles pedophile priest Oliver O' Grady. The film soon unfolds into a decades long conspiracy by the church to cover up O 'Grady's actions.

The scary thing about this film is that you're not really sure who the bigger villain is. Is it Father O' Grady, a priest who rapes and molests children? Or is the true villain the Bishops and Monsignors who turned a blind eye and just moved O' Grady from parish to parish.

Possibly the most disturbing aspect of the film is that while watching Father O' Grady discuss his actions, it's hard to tell if he really believes that what he did was wrong.

He's so matter of fact and creepy, you just want to jump through the TV and strangle him.

Deliver Us From Evil is shocking in the sense of how high up the conspiracy goes. The Pope is literally an accomplice in cases such at this.

More than anything, the one theme I came away with after watching Deliver Us From Evil is that the Church is a business, and just like everything else in the world, is wrapped up in politics more than anything else.

fernandito
05-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Le Samourai - 6.5/10

A tad overrated, but still a fairly entertaining French minimalistic film. An intriguing blend of samurai-esque ideology and gangster flick narrative. It also boasts a cold, enigmatic - yet compelling - performance by it's lead actor.

I'm looking to expand my Melville filmography, I think I'll tackle Le Circle Rouge next.

Quicksilver
05-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Saw Robin Hood yesterday......I'd give it an 8.

Sam
05-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Iron Man 2. I give it a 7. The story could have used a little more work, but the effects were spot on, especially the Suitcase Armor.

SynysterSaint
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
1) There are two users in here with initials SS. We need to start putting some more letters in there because I am getting seriously confused :lol:

Just call me Syn ;)

2)
SS, you didn't like ACO?

I'm going to assume you're talking to me and you're referring to A Clockwork Orange? If so, I hated it... if taken into context with the book. Just like The Shining, Kubrick took a fantastic book and changed around enough minor (and major) details that it just didn't feel like ACO to me. If you forget the book exists, then it's a fantastic film, just like The Shining. However, if you take the film into context and remember that it's Kubrick's adaptation? I can't stomach it. Although, the portrayal of Alex was spot-on. I'll give Kubrick that.

Brice
05-17-2010, 03:24 AM
I love both for differing reasons. If you look at the fact that Kubrick based his adaptation on the american edition at the time then the biggest change becomes a moot point. Mainly being in the film Alex was not redeemed and returned to his old naughty self. As for minor changes i don't mind them . They are necessary to any adaptation.

Still Servant
05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room 9/10

I've been on a little bit of a documentary kick lately, so I thought I'd watch Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. I really enjoyed it. I know nothing about stocks and I only vaguely knew about the Enron debacle. It's amazing what crooks these Enron executives were. It makes me so mad. Anyway, it's a really well made documentary.

Where the Wild Things Are 5/10

Coming into Where the Wild Things Are, I thought it was the kind of film where people either love it or hate it. I was kind of in the middle. I didn't love it, but I certainly didn't hate it. I never read the childrens book on which the film is based on, maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as other people.

I just felt that there wasn't a whole lot of plot. Oh yeah, I was also kind of creeped out.

SynysterSaint
05-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Where the Wild Things Are 5/10

Coming into Where the Wild Things Are, I thought it was the kind of film where people either love it or hate it. I was kind of in the middle. I didn't love it, but I certainly didn't hate it. I never read the childrens book on which the film is based on, maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as other people.

I just felt that there wasn't a whole lot of plot. Oh yeah, I was also kind of creeped out.

The plot of the book takes place over the course of about 10 pages, and they're children-book-type pages. There must have been a lot of padding in the film to stretch it over 1.5 hours! :lol: I can understand why you, not having read the book as a kid, were not thrilled with it. I'm sure that when I see it, no matter how sub-par the book is, I'm going to love it simply because of the nostalgia and love I have surrounding the book; it was a steeple of my childhood. If I hadn't read it, I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy the film.

fernandito
05-19-2010, 06:03 AM
I haven't read the book since I was 7 years old , don't remember two lines from it, but I absolutely loved the movie :)

Darkthoughts
05-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Into The Wild: 10/10

This film blew me away, it was such a journey! Fantastic acting by the rather tasty Emile Hirsch and superb screenplay and directing by Sean Penn. Has anyone else seen this?

turtlex
05-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Into The Wild: 10/10

This film blew me away, it was such a journey! Fantastic acting by the rather tasty Emile Hirsch and superb screenplay and directing by Sean Penn. Has anyone else seen this?

It is, hands down, one of my favorite movies.

10/10 for me, too, Lisa. :couple:

Amazing. Great directing, astonishing performance by Emile Hirsch, wonderful supporting cast and a great script.

Ricky
05-19-2010, 11:44 AM

I've been on a little bit of a documentary kick lately, so I thought I'd watch Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. I really enjoyed it. I know nothing about stocks and I only vaguely knew about the Enron debacle. It's amazing what crooks these Enron executives were. It makes me so mad. Anyway, it's a really well made documentary.

Uh, I watched this in Economics about a month or two ago. I thought it was painful to watch. I didn't know anything about Enron either, so I did enjoy learning about what the fuss was all about. Why specifically did you give it a 9, out of curiosity?

Still Servant
05-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Uh, I watched this in Economics about a month or two ago. I thought it was painful to watch. I didn't know anything about Enron either, so I did enjoy learning about what the fuss was all about. Why specifically did you give it a 9, out of curiosity?

I just love how the documentary was put together. They fleshed out each character and gave us some back story. They depicted the people in the film as the true villains that they were.

I also love the soundtrack. The songs actually relate to what is going on in the film. It's not like the makers of the film just stuffed it full of songs they think are cool.

I also love stories about greed. I'm endlessly fascinated how humans are so taken by money and will stop at nothing to achieve mass quantities of it.

If I was forced to watch a movie in a classroom, I wouldn't like it either. Every time I've been forced to watch a movie for a class, I hate it. Then I will watch it again on my own and like it.

It has a 97% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes (113 fresh reviews and 3 rotten reviews.) So it's a very critically acclaimed film.

Ricky
05-19-2010, 04:27 PM
You know, I feel the same way. If I watch a craptastic movie in school, I feel that I would actually love it if I watched the same movie by choice.

So I guess my underlying dislike for Enron was that it was a documentary and I'm just not a big doc. fan. Though, if it was a based-on-true-events type of movie, I think that would've been pretty cool.

Regardless, I'm glad you really liked the movie. It definitely does make you think.

Still Servant
05-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I remember watching Blade Runner in high school and just totally being bored by it.

I just think the thought of watching a movie in school is just odd. Watching movies is something I do while comfortable and with something to eat and drink.

I had a really bad Spanish teacher in high school and instead of teaching he would put movies in. I remember watching disclosure. This was a catholic school by the way.

Anyway, since my last name begins with "B" I was the first desk next to the door and my job was to be the lookout. If anybody was approaching the door, I was supposed to yell out.

I wasn't even allowed to watch the movie. If I turned my head towards the TV, the teacher would tell me to watch the door. :angry:

Heather19
05-19-2010, 05:09 PM
:lol: What did he need a lookout for?

(And I also hated when teachers would seat you by last name. I was always in the front corner as well. At least do random seating or something.)

Brice
05-19-2010, 05:36 PM
They do it because they can't be bothered to like learn names or anything.

Darkthoughts
05-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Just watched Reign Over Me, was recommended it by a friend of mine who's a criminal psychologist - so I was expecting it to be really hardcore and/or violent, as she tends to like that sorta stuff (occupational hazard :lol: ) but it was really good. made me laugh out loud and cry, surprising performances too - Adam Sandler usually annoys the shit out of me, but he was fantastic in this.

Ricky
05-20-2010, 11:33 AM
I just think the thought of watching a movie in school is just odd. Watching movies is something I do while comfortable and with something to eat and drink.

I had a really bad Spanish teacher in high school and instead of teaching he would put movies in. I remember watching disclosure. This was a catholic school by the way.

I agree, doing anything fun in school takes the fun out of it, like movie watching. That's how I feel about jobs too, if I worked at Barnes and Noble, I think I'd stop going there in my free time because it would go from fun to place of employment.

Are you sure we didn't go to the same school? We always said that you could learn more spanish at Taco Bell than in catholic school. :lol:

Still Servant
05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
:lol: What did he need a lookout for?

(And I also hated when teachers would seat you by last name. I was always in the front corner as well. At least do random seating or something.)

He was worried about another teacher or the principal walking in. We were watching films that we shouldn't be watching and he knew he'd get in trouble if he got caught.

I hated being seated alphabetical. Mainly because I'm a back of the room guy.

Oh yeah, I just remembered. The door always used to be locked so I would have to open the door for people. Well, one time somebody must have walked by because I heard the door handle jiggle. Thinking that somebody was at the door, I opened it and it swung open.

I was humiliated as I got up and closed the door. Then in front of the whole class the teacher said, "Mr. Baldelli do you need some pastoral counseling."

I'll never forget that.

Heather19
05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Geez, that's crazy :couple:

candy
05-22-2010, 07:41 AM
A BIG FAT 0 FROM ME

i'm all for suspending belief while watching a film, but asking me to suspend my brain cell too? please

Brice
05-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Oh, that's no problem for me. Most of my brain cells got suspended LONG ago.

candy
05-22-2010, 07:47 AM
trust me, do not watch this film. Any remaining brain cells you have will throw up their little brain hands and leave in disgust

Brice
05-22-2010, 07:49 AM
How did you know my brain cells have hands?

Still Servant
05-22-2010, 05:29 PM
At the very least, 2012 had great special effects. Worth at least a dollar rental at Redbox.

Also, if you're a fan of the disaster genre, then you will probably enjoy 2012.

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2010, 07:41 PM
The Men Who Stare at Goats, excellent. Close to a 5.

candy
05-23-2010, 12:51 AM
At the very least, 2012 had great special effects. Worth at least a dollar rental at Redbox.

everyone kept telling me about the effects, and to be honest i really didn't think they were that good?
2012 spoiler and the fact that they were ALWAYS mm from death but kept getting away, just took the 'edge of the seat' feeling away from me, its one thing to have one close shave but every time?

turtlex
05-23-2010, 04:37 AM

everyone kept telling me about the effects, and to be honest i really didn't think they were that good?
2012 spoiler and the fact that they were ALWAYS mm from death but kept getting away, just took the 'edge of the seat' feeling away from me, its one thing to have one close shave but every time?

To be fair - special effects, especially of that magnitude, are always more impressive in a movie theater. Did you see it at home, candy? Or in a theater?

Ricky
05-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Yeah, 2012 won't exactly go down as the best film of the year. The special effects were great (in theater) but the storyline just went on...and on...and on. If the movie was trimmed by 30-45 minutes and added more than 3 minutes on Mayan predictions, it would have been significantly better.

candy
05-23-2010, 10:45 AM
yeah i saw it at home, so that may have been why the effects didn't blow me away

A friend of mine saw avatar, and she said its pants on DVD

Its a shame, as some films that still rely on effects can still look good on DVD.

Ricky, i agree i was far more interested in the Mayan mythology, but maybe thats just the geek in me

Ricky
05-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Ricky, i agree i was far more interested in the Mayan mythology, but maybe thats just the geek in me

Nope, it's me too. They were really pushing the Mayan stuff in the marketing campaigns and trailers, so I thought it'd be more prominent than it was.

Bethany
05-23-2010, 12:13 PM
House of Wax with Paris Hilton.

4 stars for cheesiness lol

fernandito
05-23-2010, 08:42 PM
12 Angry Men - 10/10

It's been years since I've seen it , but it's still as gripping as I remember it.

Girlystevedave
05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Extract
I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
I have to say, Mike Judge has a knack for making real life situations hilarious.

Dagavidiab
05-24-2010, 04:52 AM
RocknRolla 8/10
Because i want :ninja:

lukenet19
05-24-2010, 05:00 AM
Dark Tower (1987) - 3/10(for some actor performance maybe..)

My girlfriend saw this movie(in favourite "stiff paper edition" :lol:) in shop and buy it - it seemed to have some common "axis" with SK DT... but no :lol: it was worse experience than Troll 2 :)

Darkthoughts
05-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Nick And Nora's Infinite Playlist - 5/10

It wasn't bad, but I was expecting alot more from the soundtrack with a title like that - plus Michael Cera is getting totally typecast in these rolls. My favourite parts were the bits with his gay friends...none of my gay male friends are that hot :lol:

turtlex
05-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Nick And Nora's Infinite Playlist - 5/10

It wasn't bad, but I was expecting alot more from the soundtrack with a title like that - plus Michael Cera is getting totally typecast in these rolls. My favourite parts were the bits with his gay friends...none of my gay male friends are that hot :lol:

I'm telling Stewie you said that!

Darkthoughts
05-26-2010, 07:05 AM
:rofl:

cody44
05-26-2010, 06:33 PM
The Others - 7.5/10
The Road To Perdition 9/10
Blade Runner 8/10
Tootsie - 7/10
Ordinary People - 4/10
Capote - 10/10

I haven't been on in a while to post, sadly.

turtlex
05-27-2010, 02:52 AM
The Others - 7.5/10
The Road To Perdition 9/10
Blade Runner 8/10
Tootsie - 7/10
Ordinary People - 4/10
Capote - 10/10

I haven't been on in a while to post, sadly.

Wow... surprised here with these :

Tootsie - 7/10
Ordinary People - 4/10

I'd give Tootsie a 10/10 without hestitation. and Ordinary People at least a 7.

Care to elaborate?

fernandito
05-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Clean, Shaven - 6.5/10

Strategically placed audio cues, coupled with a chilling , mesmerizing performance by Peter Greene make this a worthwhile watch. The film gives us insight into the mind of a tormented schizophrenic that has been released from an institution and is desperately seeking his daughter. The films plot is loosely held together by a murder mystery which Greene's character may or may not be a part of. An entertaining art house film.

cody44
05-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I think I was a little harsh on Tootsie. It's a wonderful film and the acting is terrific, especially Bill Murry. The more I think about the film the more I like it.

Ordinary People just felt so forced to me. I couldn't relate to the characters, the mom was just wicked too. I did feel that it was well made however.

Most recently today, 3:10 To Yuma - 6/10. Very entertaining and well filmed, but there was just to many plot holes. The ending was especially poor.

Heather19
05-29-2010, 06:42 AM
The Road 8.5/10
Absolutely loved it. I highly recommend checking it out :)

My girlfriend saw this movie(in favourite "stiff paper edition" :lol:) in shop and buy it - it seemed to have some common "axis" with SK DT... but no :lol: it was worse experience than Troll 2 :)

Worse than Troll 2 :o I have to see it now! :lol:

Still Servant
05-30-2010, 05:35 AM
The Road 8.5/10
Absolutely loved it. I highly recommend checking it out :)

Worse than Troll 2 :o I have to see it now! :lol:

I've been meaning to see The Road. I still don't understand why it didn't get a wide release. A film based on one of the most popular books of the decade, starring Viggo Mortenson opens on only a handful of screens.

Just doesn't make sense.

Heather19
05-30-2010, 05:38 AM
I know, I was really bummed when I found out it wasn't coming nearby.
But definitely check it out, I think you'll love it :)

candy
05-30-2010, 09:35 AM
law abiding citizen 6/10

Sam
05-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Dirty Harry (saw it again last night for the first time in years) 7.5/10

It's a solid movie and still good entertainment. Not the greatest Eastwood film (close though), but certainly one of the most iconic. I still like Pale Rider better.

stone, rose, unfound door
05-31-2010, 01:20 PM
The quiet family 5/10

turtlex
06-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Mister Roberts - 10/10. A classic.

( being shown on Turner Classic Movies this month )

Heather19
06-01-2010, 01:43 PM

I've never even heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

And I no longer get TCM :( They moved it to the sports package of all places!

turtlex
06-01-2010, 02:21 PM

Heather!! Really? It's one of Henry Fonda's most famous roles. Also stars a VERY wonderful Jack Lemmon !!! and James Cagney!

disel24
06-01-2010, 04:19 PM
[REC]2 4/10

it ONLY gets a 4 because of good makeup on the affect people... (Spanish movie)

Heather19
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Heather!! Really? It's one of Henry Fonda's most famous roles. Also stars a VERY wonderful Jack Lemmon !!! and James Cagney!

It's true :(
I just checked TCM OnDemand but unfortunately it wasn't up there, but they did have The Snake Pit starring Olivia de Havilland. Have you ever seen it, it sounded really good.

turtlex
06-02-2010, 03:22 AM
I'm fairly certain that I have, Heather. I love Olivia de Havilland and have seen most all of her movies. Is it about a psych-ward or something like that?

Have you seen Captain Blood and Robin Hood - both with Olivia de Havilland and Errol Flynn?

Sam
06-02-2010, 03:50 AM
The Adventures of Robin Hood is truly one of my all-time favorite films. I'd give it a 9/10. Basil Rathbone was excellent as the villain.

Heather19
06-02-2010, 04:26 AM
I'm fairly certain that I have, Heather. I love Olivia de Havilland and have seen most all of her movies. Is it about a psych-ward or something like that?

Have you seen Captain Blood and Robin Hood - both with Olivia de Havilland and Errol Flynn?

It is. And I take you enjoyed it? I'll definitely check it out before they get rid of it. And I still haven't seen either Captain Blood or Robin Hood yet, but I remember you recommended them ages ago. I promise to get to it soon :)

turtlex
06-02-2010, 08:58 AM
The Adventures of Robin Hood is truly one of my all-time favorite films. I'd give it a 9/10. Basil Rathbone was excellent as the villain.

:huglove: Me, too. I love it. I've seen it hundreds of times.

It is. And I take you enjoyed it? I'll definitely check it out before they get rid of it. And I still haven't seen either Captain Blood or Robin Hood yet, but I remember you recommended them ages ago. I promise to get to it soon :)

I whole heartedly recommend anything Olivia De Havilland is in. Even when the movie isn't so great - she is.

Girlystevedave
06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Though I've seen it hundreds of times, Robin Hood: Men In Tights.
10/10 :cyclops: