PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #8: The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

mae
03-24-2010, 07:23 AM
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, 1997
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/W_G_trade_face.jpg

Please vote for The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_IV:_Wizard_and_Glass) using the following scale:

5: I loved it
4: It was good
3: Average
2: Only so-so
1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

Jean
03-24-2010, 07:28 AM
4 from bears; or rather, 4 minus

mae
03-24-2010, 07:31 AM
A 2 from me. One of my least-liked King books of all. I think a 2 is probably the lowest mark I'll ever give out. I never disliked a King book so strongly to give it a 1.

Jean
03-24-2010, 07:41 AM
A 2 from me. One of my least-liked King books of all. I think a 2 is probably the lowest mark I'll ever give out. I never disliked a King book so strongly to give it a 1.
I was going to give it a 3, and then I remembered that the soap-opera romance or the beaten to death cliches like Rhea were not all there was to the story. There were also:

- the beginning, with Blaine and stuff - absolutely fantastic
- The Stand scenery, and all that part of the travel
- Cuthbert saving Sheemie
- The battle at Eyebolt Canyon!!!
- the "come, reap" thing
- the last part, with the wizard of Oz, the brilliant encounter with Flagg, and the long palaver

thus, bears gave it a 4! (well, 4 minus...)

Mrs. Underwood
03-24-2010, 08:10 AM
This was a tough call, but I went with a 5. Initially, I was frustrated with this book because it veered into flashback mode instead of continuing the journey. But... in hindsight, I have so much affection for the story that was told here that I can't give it less than a 5 with a clear conscience.

Tito_Villa
03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
My favourite of the series!!! 5

DoctorDodge
03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Not my personal favourite, but still one that always makes me want to come back for more! I loved both the continuing story and the (rather long) flashback for different reasons.

Is it as strong as 2 and 3? No, but I still found it a really enjoyable read from start to finish. 5*

candy
03-24-2010, 11:20 AM
- the "come, reap" thing
- the last part, with the wizard of Oz, the brilliant encounter with Flagg, and the long palaver

because of this it got a 3, otherwise it would have been a 1. not for me the soap opera of romance! not in my Books thank you

dubrosa22
03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Definitely the best of the series with DOTT a very close second.
Hell I love 'em all! :cowboy:

Ageless Stranger
03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
My favourite of the series!!! 5

Definitely the best of the series with DOTT a very close second.
Hell I love 'em all! :cowboy:

It's my favorite of the series as well. I don't care for the soap opera part but I really liked going back to when Cuthbert and Alan and the rest of the original tet was alive.

Kronz
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
5 from me. Unlike some people, I think I'd have rather had the forward progress segments of the novel separated, off into the books before and after. The Mejis novel is one of the most touching and well crafted things King ever published.

Daghain
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Three from me. I am also not a fan of the overdone romance.

thebumblerinblack
03-24-2010, 05:12 PM
5 from me, loved it. A favorite DT book for me, second only to the drawing of the three. I mean, come on, teenage Roland and his birth friends incognito in a shady asshole town, Reah (cliche or not, she was awesome, really sick), the big coffin hunters, and Roland's young love. I was 15 when I first read it, about their age, also engaged in my first love:blush:, and the book really affected me.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-24-2010, 05:28 PM
5. No surprise. My favorite of the series, and one ot the reasons I am currently a member of this website.

Woofer
03-24-2010, 07:01 PM
- the "come, reap" thing

because of this it got a 3, otherwise it would have been a 1. not for me the soap opera of romance! not in my Books thank you

And those are why it got a 2 from me this time around.

5 from me. Unlike some people, I think I'd have rather had the forward progress segments of the novel separated, off into the books before and after. The Mejis novel is one of the most touching and well crafted things King ever published.

I find the Mejis portion to be more along the lines of a Barbara Cartwright or Jackie Collins book, only with King's characters, plot, and the background world. I never have believed that Susan was really in love with Roland - lusted for, liked, and even loved in some way, but not in love. Too smarmy and forced.

Canada
03-24-2010, 07:17 PM
3. It had good parts, like mentioned above.
Especially loved the Topeka scene since I was fresh off of The Stand when I read WAG. I was like, "Man, if only Stu and Fran had hung around in the breadpan some more they would've gotten to meet Roland and the Tet!"
And it was very informative and interesting to read through. Once. But I would never read through this whole book again, frankly I'd skip the entire Mejis flashback and just read the beginning and end. I'll always know that part of Roland's past and it will always be with him, so I don't feel I need to read it again. Just like how he only told the story once and then locked it away.

IWasSentWest
03-24-2010, 07:43 PM
4. my least favorite of the series. i mean it was a great book, but man some parts dragged on

IWasSentWest
03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Three from me. I am also not a fan of the overdone romance.

exactly

Kronz
03-24-2010, 08:28 PM
- the "come, reap" thing

And those are why it got a 2 from me this time around.

I find the Mejis portion to be more along the lines of a Barbara Cartwright or Jackie Collins book, only with King's characters, plot, and the background world. I never have believed that Susan was really in love with Roland - lusted for, liked, and even loved in some way, but not in love. Too smarmy and forced.

I think it's exactly because I never have or will read supermarket romances or westerns that it worked for me. At first I didn't like it but the big softy in me really fell for it and I even get really sad about the book, more than any other King novel. It's possible he doesn't really know what it's like to be a badass 14 year old in an alternate reality, but I think he did a nice job. It helps us understand how obnoxiously obsessive and selfish Roland is better than ever before. Roland is still my favorite character but he's a real horse's ass in this book, which works great for me.

Jean
03-25-2010, 12:23 AM
4. my least favorite of the series. i mean it was a great book, but man some parts dragged on
for bears, too, the least favorite is the one graded "4"...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-25-2010, 12:42 AM
for bears, too, the least favorite is the one graded "4"...

Thats still pretty good. I can live with that.:rock:

mae
03-25-2010, 05:05 AM
I think it comes down to what excited you most about The Dark Tower. For me it was people from our world going into the alien world of Roland, and Roland into ours. That's why I loved DT2 to death. It was freaking amazing. And why I loved DT6, for the same reason. I liked the other parts very much, DT3 especially, DT7 less so, but I had real trouble with DT4 and the whole Mejis thing. That's why I'm not very excited about the comics, although I have bought all the hardcover collections :)

mikeC
03-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Oh, man, finally after years and years of waiting to see what happened on Blain the mono and follow roland's trek to the dark tower we get....a teenage love story. Wah wah wah. haha, joke's on us!
Hated it the first time but listened to it before 5 came out and actually quite enjoyed it. Probably in my bottom two of the DT series but even a weak DT book is still a great book.

High_Desert_Gunslinger
03-25-2010, 07:04 AM
5 for me. Like many I wasn't a fan of the overdone romance but I loved the fact that we finally find out about Roland's past, even though there are still holes in it

biomieg
03-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Seconded.

Hannah
03-25-2010, 08:16 AM
I was going to give it a 3, and then I remembered that the soap-opera romance or the beaten to death cliches like Rhea were not all there was to the story. There were also:

- the "come, reap" thing

This is exactly my feelings. I gave it a 3, if not for the other stuff it would probably have been a 2.

pathoftheturtle
03-25-2010, 08:34 AM

Seconded.It's like a drawbridge between a pair of trilogies.

I'm not sure whether I'd change that or not. Certainly is interesting.

mae
03-25-2010, 08:53 AM
ALERT: We have a "never read" :ninja:

Hannah
03-25-2010, 09:01 AM
sacrilege?

Daghain
03-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Has to be.

pathoftheturtle
03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, if it's someone who has read I - III, it's not so strange they'd go ahead and come online.

Calla_Wolf
03-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Despite its merits (continuing the story), I HATED this book. I found it....irritating, with the "If you love me, love me" dialogue crowning what was, for me, an unpleasant experience.

Tito_Villa
03-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Its amazing how this book has split opinions!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-26-2010, 01:45 AM
And yet only our side is right.:P

Calla_Wolf
03-26-2010, 01:51 AM
And yet only our side is right.:P

LOL

:rose:

mae
03-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Three ones, ouch. Strangely, this one wasn't the least-liked DT book during the 2009 awards, that great distinction was earned by DT6 coming to a stop at number 26. DT4 actually finished ten spots above it at number 16. Which is weird, because I personally thought DT6 rocked.

Jean
03-26-2010, 05:03 AM
wait till it is voted. I know maybe a couple of people and animals who will vote 5 for SoS, as bears will do, but I know a lot of people (and even animals!) who will give it 1-2-3.

vacant lot
03-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Still part of the journey , and the backstory of Roland touched me deeply. 5

mae
03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Still part of the journey

You still must judge each book separate from one another.

Kronz
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
wait till it is voted. I know maybe a couple of people and animals who will vote 5 for SoS, as bears will do, but I know a lot of people (and even animals!) who will give it 1-2-3.

I always find it odd when people hate SoS; both times I read it, I think it took me about five hours and I was left panting for more. Amazing book I reckon, though I do love WaG slightly more.

DoctorDodge
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM

I'll be honest, Jean: first time i read SoS, I would've gone for the latter option and probably have rated it a 2. Right now though I'm on my 2nd time reading through it, when I'm not so eager to get to just get to the ending, and I've gotta say...whilst I'm not too keen on the fact that there's a LOT more "real world" stuff than there is Mid World, I am loving it a whole lot more this time around. I'm looking forward to finding out how it does this time in the Constant Reader Awards: i doubt it'll be the winner, but I think it'll do much, much better for people who've read it a 2nd time.

Kronz
03-26-2010, 02:22 PM
But you know, nearly everyone agrees DOTT is the best, and it's got huge swaths of "the real world" in it too. The mixing of here and there works great and is just part of what's up with TDT.

DoctorDodge
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Precisely why DOTT will be always be my favourite too: Mid World and Real World collide in equal measure.

That and the characters were total fuckups, at first!

Kronz
03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I love how similar the gas station and Leaning Tower scenes were too, so fucking epic and fast paced. Also all the demon and Tower background in SoS, just fascinating. King the character also makes me laugh my ass off.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-26-2010, 02:57 PM
But you know, nearly everyone agrees DOTT is the best, and it's got huge swaths of "the real world" in it too. The mixing of here and there works great and is just part of what's up with TDT.

Look at our poll on this subject, add your vote! (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=411&highlight=FAVORITE+DARK+TOWER+BOOK)

Kronz
03-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Oh but it hurts to pick just one! I rank five out of the seven books as absolute five star favorites, and two others are really-fricking-great books.

Jean
03-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Oh but it hurts to pick just one! I rank five out of the seven books as absolute five star favorites, and two others are really-fricking-great books.
So do I. My five star favorites exclude only The Gunslinger and W&G, and I voted 4 for each of these two. (though if for some unfathomable reason I had to choose just one favorite, it would be The Wolves - that's how I voted in the thread BROWNING'S provided the link to)

divemaster
03-27-2010, 06:52 AM

I agree. I would have given this book a 6 if I could. Not only my favorite Dark Tower installment, but one of my favorite books ever.

I loved the "overdone romance." I'm pretty much a guy's guy, but I got all weepy reading this. The theme of star-crossed lovers really speaks to me. Maybe some personal experiences influence my emotions on this matter. In any event, I cried when I was suppose to; jeered the villians when I was supposed to; cheered the adventure when I was supposed to. King drew me in and didn't let go on this story. One of his absolute best.

mae
03-31-2010, 07:53 AM
The poll has closed. The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.216494845 or 84.33%, placing 2nd (runner-up) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass also placed 2nd with a FAS of 4.360360360, so it lost 0.143865515 (-3.30%) this time.

Riostar
03-31-2010, 10:06 PM
When I do rereads of the series I read every part of WAG...except anything that has to do with Mejis. Its sssssoooo dragging. I don't really care about the overly done romance part. I love the comic because I got the story with very little romance. I like the Eye bolt canyon fight and such but don't need 20 pages telling me how great it is to be humping Roland like every 30 seconds. My least favorite book of the series, tied with SoS.

Ageless Stranger
04-01-2010, 12:39 AM
I like it because Cuthbert and Alan are alive and in it. I enjoyed reading about them.

Riostar
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I agreee. I like hearing about them, its the whole "Roland sees Susan walking they say hi, then Susan is tonguing him without really even knowing who he is, they are in love, they have know each other for 5 min and said 2 words to each other. LOVE OF ROLANDS LIFE!!!!"