PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #7: Nightmares & Dreamscapes (1993)

mae
03-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Nightmares & Dreamscapes, 1993
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Nightmares_Dreamscapes_face.jpg

Please vote for Nightmares & Dreamscapes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares_%26_Dreamscapes) using the following scale:

5: I loved it
4: It was good
3: Average
2: Only so-so
1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

pathoftheturtle
03-22-2010, 07:55 AM
There are some really good stories in here, but my favorite part is King's intro, "Myth, Belief, Faith, and Ripley's Believe It or Not!" Classic.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I remember liking that intro too. As for the book, it gets a 4 from me. There were alot of really good ones. But there were quite a few duds too, more than the other collections IMO.

Kronz
03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
It's a great way to round up straggler stories for sure but I don't really love many of the stories either. I'd give it a four though.

Sam
03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I know many people like this one, but I have always felt it was his weakest anthology. I still feel that way. Skeleton Crew is one of his masterpieces, but Nightmares & Dreamscapes badly disappointed me at a time when I was greatly looking forward to the next King novel (even more than I do now as the latest King book was a MAJOR part of my Christmas morning and the rest of Christmas Vacation). It was ok, but it just didn't live up to what I was used to. 3.

Jean
03-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Popsy, Crouch End and Suffer the Little Children are bears' favorites... a full 4, then

Daghain
03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I gave it a 4 as well. I'm a big fan of King's short stories.

divemaster
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I know many people like this one, but I have always felt it was his weakest anthology. I still feel that way. ... Nightmares & Dreamscapes badly disappointed me at a time when I was greatly looking forward to the next King novel...

Quoted for truth, although it only ranked a "2" for me. I kept reading the stories hoping to get to a good one. There might have been a couple peppered in there but I recall my overall reaction as being extremely disappointed.

Jean
03-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I know many people like this one, but I have always felt it was his weakest anthology. I still feel that way. ... Nightmares & Dreamscapes badly disappointed me at a time when I was greatly looking forward to the next King novel...

Quoted for truth, although it only ranked a "2" for me. I kept reading the stories hoping to get to a good one. There might have been a couple peppered in there but I recall my overall reaction as being extremely disappointed.
has either of you already read Just After Sunset? N&D is a feast comparing to that one...

thebumblerinblack
03-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Word, Jean.:thumbsup:

divemaster
03-24-2010, 03:28 AM

has either of you already read Just After Sunset? N&D is a feast comparing to that one...

JAS is the only King book I haven't gotten to yet (with the exception of the internet stories and some of the other esoteric stuff). I did read the introduction and King said after so many years he had gotten his short story muse back, so I was cautiously optimisitc. We'll see.

mikeC
03-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Some good(suffer, rainy season), some really bad (dedication, sneakers) i gave it higher ranking because I believe End of the whole Mess is one of King's best short stories. I think the adaptation is also one of the best.
Good thing he kept Reploids of there, that was a stinker as well.
Lots of mediocre though.

mae
03-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Not to derail the discussion, but Just After Sunset contains one of the best King novellas in The Gingerbread Girl.

Hannah
03-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Not to derail the discussion, but Just After Sunset contains one of the best King novellas in The Gingerbread Girl.

I loved the Gingerbread Girl. Unfortunately, I can't rate any collection of short stories in one book based on how much I loved one of the stories in it, but how much I liked the whole thing overall.

I gave this one a 3.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Popsy, Crouch End and Suffer the Little Children are bears' favorites... a full 4, then

Suffer the little children is possibly my favorite short story.

mae
03-29-2010, 09:07 AM
The poll has closed. Nightmares & Dreamscapes has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.746031746 or 74.92%, placing 2nd (runner-up) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, Nightmares & Dreamscapes placed 3rd with a FAS of 3.970588235, so it lost 0.224556489 (-5.66%) this time.

divemaster
03-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Hmmm, weak bracket if a book can lose almost 6% and yet place higher than last year.

mae
03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Indeed, very strange. Every book in this bracket lost some points.

Daghain
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Maybe we've all become tougher critics. :lol: