PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #4: The Talisman (1984)

mae
03-10-2010, 08:43 AM
The Talisman, 1984
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/The_Talisman_Face1.jpg

Please vote for The Talisman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Talisman_(King_%26_Straub_novel)) using the following scale:

5: I loved it
4: It was good
3: Average
2: Only so-so
1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Jean
03-10-2010, 08:46 AM
for bears it was "good", but not in the sense in which Christine was "good". Christine was a solid, good "good", while reading The Talisman bears oscillate between "love it" and "average".

pathoftheturtle
03-10-2010, 01:04 PM
for bears it was "good", but not in the sense in which Christine was "good". Christine was a solid, good "good", while reading The Talisman bears oscillate between "love it" and "average".Well said.

Daghain
03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I gave it a 5. I love this book. :D

vacant lot
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Loved it. Started me on the journey.

Brice
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Just an incredibly good story. :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I gave it a 3. Jean summed it up nicely, so I will only add that I hope that The Black House is better.

Sam
03-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Still haven't read this one. I just haven't found the time to go out and buy a copy to be honest.

divemaster
03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
The only reason I gave this a 2 is because a "1" vote is reserved for the truly bottom of the barrel. Man, this book was tedious. And I even read it again several years later just to make sure. (Black House, on the other hand, I enjoyed very much.)

Canada
03-10-2010, 06:30 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by this book and was hooked until the end. Also, I thought it was the only book that's directly DT related that didn't spam the tower too much. I.E. halfway through Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis, Black House, etc. the wise old character saying "there is a tower, that connects all worlds. Also some gunslingers. And all that. And come on, just go re-read Dark Tower again!" It also had some very love-able characters and they just seemed to stick in my mind better than some of King's others.

Also, it has (IMO) one of the coolest "end-battles" in any King book.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I've heard from several people that didn't like Talisman, that Black House was better. So, I've got some hope for it. I think I will wait for Talisman 3 and then do a marathon read of the whole series.

gsvec
03-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I was in the negative Talisman group, too, until I recently reread it. Didn't give it rave reviews last year, but now I give it a high 4. I guess this means I should reread Black House, too, since I didn't care much for it the first time around, either. :lol:

Jean
03-11-2010, 01:06 AM
I've heard from several people that didn't like Talisman, that Black House was better.
Not only people. Black House is in bears' top five, while The Talisman will never make their top ten.

So, I've got some hope for it. I think I will wait for Talisman 3 and then do a marathon read of the whole series.
DON'T!!! Read BH NOW!!! Pretty please?...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-11-2010, 01:11 AM
I must say, a recommendation from you is high praise in my book. I shall move it up on the list.

Jean
03-11-2010, 01:21 AM
but I've already blown it with Catch 22... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-11-2010, 01:29 AM
but I've already blown it with Catch 22... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

Not really, though I still found the style to be distracting and disconnected, the humor made up for that. I laughed right out loud many times while reading. (Something I don't have the pleasure of doing nearly often enough) Overall, it was quite an enjoyable read, and I think that my opinion would vastly improve with a reread. In fact, I don't think that I can make a fair judgement given only the one read, because I feel that much of the minutia was lost on me in my scramble to make sense of the whole thing.

I shall elaborate more in the Catch 22 thread.

Jean
03-11-2010, 01:41 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Brice
03-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Oddly few people seem to truly love both Talisman and Black House from what I've seen. People seem to be strongly for one and at best meh about the other.

Hannah
03-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Oddly few people seem to truly love both Talisman and Black House from what I've seen. People seem to be strongly for one and at best meh about the other.

I love them both. :D

Kronz
03-11-2010, 07:47 AM
I really like both of the Straub collaborations, though I was initially surprised by how entirely different they are. Jack doesn't seem to be the same person at all that he was as a kid, unlike other King characters who we know as children and as adults.

Brice
03-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Me too! :couple: And I may be wrong in that observation, but it's always seemed that way to me.

candy
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM

Me too! :couple: And I may be wrong in that observation, but it's always seemed that way to me.

me too

Woofer
03-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Wolves and bears think alike on this book.

Jean
03-12-2010, 11:30 AM
they often do!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/furry/polar-bear-funny-dog-death-hug.jpg

pathoftheturtle
03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I've heard from several people that didn't like Talisman, that Black House was better.
Not only people. Black House is in bears' top five, while The Talisman will never make their top ten.Huh. Well, that's true of me, too, ('cause King has so many top choices) but I certainly wouldn't say that I didn't like Talisman. It's just that Black House not only has a far different style, but is accordingly very well executed.

Me too! :couple: And I may be wrong in that observation, but it's always seemed that way to me.Cool. Well, perhaps if you two have any judgements as to which was best, it'll mean more than ours do.

Hannah
03-16-2010, 07:32 AM
:panic: It's so hard to tell if you're trying to be funny, sarcastic, sincere, or if I'm just not getting what you're trying to say.

Anyway, one vote counts as one vote ... so, yeah.

pathoftheturtle
03-16-2010, 02:41 PM
:unsure: Uh... I was just asking, for the sake of BROWNINGS CHILDE, if you have a preference. I know you said that you love both Talisman and Black House, and that's cool, but does it mean you can't pick a favorite? If so, fine. Just curious; after all, they are so different. :unsure:

mae
03-17-2010, 08:48 AM
The poll has closed. The Talisman has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.604395604 or 92.09%, placing 1st (winner) in this bracket. It will be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, The Talisman also placed 1st with a FAS of 4.536585366, so it gained 0.067810238 (+1.49%) this time.

Brice
03-17-2010, 09:55 AM
:unsure: Uh... I was just asking, for the sake of BROWNINGS CHILDE, if you have a preference. I know you said that you love both Talisman and Black House, and that's cool, but does it mean you can't pick a favorite? If so, fine. Just curious; after all, they are so different. :unsure:

For me it's The Talisman, but only because we've known each other longer. :couple: Purely sentimental! I read it first when I was quite young.