PDA

View Full Version : Bracket #4: Cycle of the Werewolf (1983)

mae
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Cycle of the Werewolf, 1983
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/COTW_face.jpg

Please vote for Cycle of the Werewolf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_of_the_Werewolf) using the following scale:

5: I loved it
4: It was good
3: Average
2: Only so-so
1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Jean
03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
bears have never read this...

mae
03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
bears have never read this...

Why not, Jean?

Jean
03-10-2010, 09:34 AM
haven't been able to lay their paws on it yet

maybe in Paris next April...

Heather19
03-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Am I the only 5? I loved this one.

Hannah
03-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm a never read.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I'd like to vote on this one, but honestly I can't remember a thing about it. It's been almost 27 years since I read it and it doesn't ring a bell!

Daghain
03-10-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm a never read as well. :o

mae
03-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Aw come guys, it's pretty short... But I haven't read this one either :blush: Dunno why. I think I keep hoping to land an affordable copy of the original hardcover to read.

Heather19
03-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I think you guys all need to go pick up a copy to read ;)

Brice
03-10-2010, 05:01 PM
I concur!:couple: Heather, I loved it also. 5 from me.

vacant lot
03-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Really enjoyed this book. Been years since I read it, but it struck a core.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
4. I wish it had been stretched out for a longer novel, but right when it was starting to get really good......it was over.

Sam
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
OMG!!! There are WAY too many people with no excuse whatsoever who haven't read this story. Jean has a valid excuse, but this book's ready and waiting for y'all at the local bookstore, on Amazon, or even ebay just for the taking. Y'all need to read this story, if for no other reason than because it exists.

Sam
03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Btw, I gave it a 5.

mae
03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
OMG!!! There are WAY too many people with no excuse whatsoever who haven't read this story. Jean has a valid excuse, but this book's ready and waiting for y'all at the local bookstore, on Amazon, or even ebay just for the taking. Y'all need to read this story, if for no other reason than because it exists.

I have it on my shelf. :thumbsup:

divemaster
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
3 for me. I guess. One of the only King books I don't really remember much about specifically. Perhaps because I beleive it is the only King story in which I saw the movie FIRST, and then read the book later. If the book was super-great, I'd have remembered it more. As it is, I loved the movie. Great B-grade popcorn flick with Gary Busey totally hamming it up. Plus genuinely creepy at times.

Cutter
03-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I agree this is an easy one to read, as its short - probably his shortest outting ever. Just go get a paperback its an easy read.

I liked it. It's not great as some of his novels, but I liked it as a teenager and it still holds a nice place in my heart. Good stuff (voted good). Plus it's King and werewolves, come on people... lol

Kronz
03-11-2010, 03:32 AM
I feel I am in the minority of people who think this is just about as bad a novel as he's ever released. If it was tucked away as a novella in a compilation I would cut it more slack but as a stand alone I really didn't like it at all. The movie is even worse.

Woofer
03-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Kronz, you're right about the movie being worse, but it's a fun kind of worse as divemaster noted.

I'm very, very particular about my werewolf fiction, so it only gets a four.

Mordred Deschain
03-13-2010, 06:53 AM
I didn't even know about this book

Mrs. Underwood
03-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Aww, I'm sad to see so few people have read this one! Then again, I'm a pretty big fan of anything involving werewolves, so when I heard SK had written a little something with a werewolf center stage, I had to have it. It's worth it for the artwork alone! And yes, the story is short but no less awesome. :P

pathoftheturtle
03-13-2010, 08:28 AM
The composition is ill-conceived and awkward, the scares are dull, the storyline is trite, and most of the writing is sub-par. It does have a rousing climax, but, for me, the only really redeeming quality is its contribution to SK's general mythology. Marty has the stuff of a gunslinger.

Mordred Deschain
03-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Aww, I'm sad to see so few people have read this one! Then again, I'm a pretty big fan of anything involving werewolves, so when I heard SK had written a little something with a werewolf center stage, I had to have it. It's worth it for the artwork alone! And yes, the story is short but no less awesome. :P

I mean, I know about Silver Bullet by Stephen King that involves werewolves, I just didn't know about Cycle of the Werewolf.

"..Right here and right now..jack! Right here right now!" -wolf

pathoftheturtle
03-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Silver Bullet is the film adaptation. The book's title is derived from that ill-conceived composition which I just mentioned. The movie's title is not the only thing about it which is better, although it is even more corny. Still, to those who are familiar with neither, I'd recommend reading CotW unspoiled.
Kronz, you're right about the movie being worse, but it's a fun kind of worse as divemaster noted. ...For sure. Early SK movies are great brain-candy. Creepshow, Cat's Eye, Silver Bullet, Maximum Overdrive ...all guilty pleasures. :cool:

Mordred Deschain
03-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Silver Bullet is the film adaptation. The book's title is derived from that ill-conceived composition which I just mentioned. The movie's title is not the only thing about it which is better, although it is even more corny. Still, to those who are familiar with neither, I'd recommend reading CotW unspoiled.
Kronz, you're right about the movie being worse, but it's a fun kind of worse as divemaster noted. ...For sure. Early SK movies are great brain-candy. Creepshow, Cat's Eye, Silver Bullet, Maximum Overdrive ...all guilty pleasures. :cool:

Silver Bullet is the film adaptation of Cycle of the Werewolf? did not know that.

I agree with you on the SK movies. Children of the Corn was good.

pathoftheturtle
03-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes, it was, tho the CotC sequels slid past brain-candy territory into purecrapland.

Mordred Deschain
03-13-2010, 10:49 AM
like pet semetary 2? heheh..

Mrs. Underwood
03-14-2010, 08:04 AM

HEE! Just squee. :D

Woofer
03-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Plus, I wish Michael Whelan had done the art. ♥

Yes yes yes! :couple:

Cat's Eye + :cool: = :excited: (<---simulated electrocution)

I had the great pleasure of seeing Silver Bullet before I read CotW, but my bf had read it. Early in the movie, I turned to him and joked about the werewolf's identity in a whisper. I was right!

Maximum Overdrive - I just don't know where to start. Yeardley Smith was fabulous, the opening machines going crazy scenes are positively inspired, and it has classic Pat Hingle moments. Incidentally, as I was confirming spelling on Yeardley Smith's name, I ran across this little bit in the cast of Maximum Overdrive:

Glenn Randall Jr. ... Dead woman's feet in bushes (uncredited)

Aside: I also did this with the same bf and The Sound of Music. It was my first time seeing it as an "adult", and I joked about making clothes from the curtains while Julie Andrews was singing to calm the kids.

Mordred Deschain
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM

HEE! Just squee. :D

:)

educatedlady
03-16-2010, 04:52 AM
I LOVE this book. I always will. This was the first book I read by myself when I was little. I chose it because it was short and had pictures (according to my mom). My mom also tells me that it took about a week to read it but I never gave up and wouldn't read anything else. I guess I was hooked to SK since I could read. :) I still really enjoy the story and still have the copy I read when I was little.

I gave it a 5.

mae
03-17-2010, 08:42 AM
The poll has closed. Cycle of the Werewolf has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.492063492 or 69.84%, placing 4th in this bracket. It will not be moving on to Round 2. In 2009, Cycle of the Werewolf placed 5th (last) with a FAS of 3.344827586, so it gained 0.147235906 (+4.40%) this time.