PDA

View Full Version : Worst King on the Screen--Nominations Closed

Jean
03-03-2010, 12:40 AM
This thread is for members to nominate titles (film, mini-series, TV) for the Award for Worst King on the Screen. In order for a title to be eligible for nomination it must either be based on the written work of Stephen King or be an original screenplay/teleplay written by Stephen King. This extends to any film, mini-series, or television show that meets those guidelines. Titles based on works originally published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible.

To nominate a title for this category, simply post your choice in this thread. In order for a title to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated title must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each title listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. Be careful that you are posting in the correct thread, as there is also the thread for Best King on the Screen (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=10186), which is this category’s polar opposite. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

Films/Miniseries/TV based upon a SK book or story (http://bestsellers.about.com/od/stephenking/a/king_films.htm).

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-03-2010, 01:37 AM
I will nominate Kingdom Hospital.

turtlex
03-03-2010, 03:31 AM
Maximum Overdrive

mae
03-03-2010, 05:38 AM
The Mangler

Odetta
03-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Maximum Overdrive

seconded

candy
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
BC - i nominated Kingdom Hospital for best:wtf: how bizarre this that

My nomination
The Stand

SynysterSaint
03-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining. (Sorry all, but I liked the USA Network version because of its accuracy and the acting. I thought the kid was better...)

gsvec
03-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I'll second The Mangler. Yuck. :lol:

Jean
03-03-2010, 10:58 PM
The Shining by Kubrick seconded by bears.

Kingdom Hospital 1
Maximum Overdrive 2
The Mangler 2
The Stand 1
The Shining (Kubrick version) 2

disel24
03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I third the Mangler

Aaron
03-04-2010, 07:51 AM
I nominate the IT miniseries. Worst bit of wasted time in my life, though Tim Curry was great---just not great enough to save this abomination of an adaptation.

Lily-sai
03-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I nominate Thinner.

Seconding the IT miniseries - the ending was just.. plain awful. Agreeing with you about Tim Curry though, Aaron. :)

dubrosa22
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I nominate Children Of The Corn

And second IT miniseries

:cowboy:

Jean
03-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Kingdom Hospital 1
Maximum Overdrive 2
The Mangler 3
The Stand 1
the IT miniseries 3
Thinner 1
Children Of The Corn 1

Sickrose
03-05-2010, 05:23 AM
1408 - the creepiness of the goings on in room 1408 were so subtle at first - it didint do justice to the story.

Jean
03-05-2010, 05:33 AM
1408 - the creepiness of the goings on in room 1408 were so subtle at first - it didint do justice to the story. Yes. About one third of the movie I was wondering what the fuss was about: we here have lived like that all our lives; no Russian would in the least have been surprised by those minor malfunctions of the devices.

LadyHitchhiker
03-05-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm going to nominate Dreamcatcher.

CRinVA
03-05-2010, 07:32 AM
The Mangler

pathoftheturtle
03-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Second Dreamcatcher.
I will nominate Kingdom Hospital.
BC - i nominated Kingdom Hospital for best:wtf: how bizarre this that...It was a letdown. I'm not seconding it here, since the beginning was so great, but I can't second it for Best either, since the ending was such a mess. I do recommend that all TDT fans watch the whole series, though, if you get the chance. Definitely food for thought.

1408 - the creepiness of the goings on in room 1408 were so subtle at first - it didint do justice to the story. Yes. About one third of the movie I was wondering what the fuss was about: we here have lived like that all our lives; no Russian would in the least have been surprised by those minor malfunctions of the devices.Well, they were turning a short story into a feature... I liked the pacing fine... and, besides, talk about missing the forest for the trees.
I guess every film will have its haters.

Heather19
03-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm going to nominate Dreamcatcher.

I'll third Dreamcatcher. Really is a shame because it started off so well, but went downhill rather quickly.

SynysterSaint
03-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, they were turning a short story into a feature... I liked the pacing fine... and, besides, talk about missing the forest for the trees.
I guess every film will have its haters.

There's some things that just settle under people's skin when it comes to personal preferences. I absolutely loved 1408 but then again I can see where people would get a distaste for it.

Jean
03-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I didn't say I hated it. I liked the prologue, and some later parts of the movie; was genuinely scared twice - the window across the road and the floor map - but some of the scenes did seem to me ridiculous, especially, you know, when he faces his past. I wouldn't nominate it as the Worst, and I didn't second the nomination - maybe I'll second it as the Best, because all others I have seen, except Shawshank, were just plain pathetic.

Jean
03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Kingdom Hospital 1
Maximum Overdrive 2
The Mangler 3
The Stand 1
the IT miniseries 3
Thinner 1
Children Of The Corn 1
1408 - 1
Dreamcatcher - 3
The Mangler - 1

SynysterSaint
03-06-2010, 03:09 AM
I didn't say I hated it. I liked the prologue, and some later parts of the movie; was genuinely scared twice - the window across the road and the floor map - but some of the scenes did seem to me ridiculous, especially, you know, when he faces his past. I wouldn't nominate it as the Worst, and I didn't second the nomination - maybe I'll second it as the Best, because all others I have seen, except Shawshank, were just plain pathetic.

I'm sorry if my words came off a bit strong, Jean. I meant that you have a distaste for it in the sense that you think it could have been better. I never meant to assume otherwise. I agree that it can certainly be over-the-top during certain scenes. The music during the scene where Enslin is first in the post office and is now "spinning" back into 1408 comes to mind :lol: That would be the very first thing I would change about it!

mae
03-06-2010, 07:36 AM
The Mangler

Already nominated, by me, and thirded. Sorry :)

Jean
03-07-2010, 03:20 AM
have just watched Maximum Overdrive... sooooooooooo mediocre I don't think I am going to support it in either nomination...

Brice
03-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Mediocre? No, Jean it is BAD. :excited:

candy
03-07-2010, 05:17 AM
but not that bad its good!!:)

Brice
03-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Yes, that bad...not quite up there with Plan 9 and Death Bed:The Bed That Eats though.

Jean
03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I think I'll nominate The Dead Zone. It's that bad.

Brice
03-07-2010, 08:26 AM
I actually really like the dead zone.

Jean
03-07-2010, 08:38 AM
bears loved the book and intensely hated the movie

candy
03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
seconding dead zone

Jean
03-11-2010, 01:32 AM
have watched the It miniseries... oh shit... especially the final parts. The very beginning was ok, and the kids were not that bad, but the adults... ::shudders:: ... Not that they were horrid or something, they were just nonexistent, with the single possible exception of Mike, and that only because the others were even worse.

Jean
03-11-2010, 01:35 AM
I have counted CRinVA's nomination of The Mangler as fourthing, since it had already been nominated and thirded.

Kingdom Hospital 1
Maximum Overdrive 2
The Mangler 4
The Stand 1
the IT miniseries 3
Thinner 1
Children Of The Corn 1
1408 - 1
Dreamcatcher - 3
The Dead Zone 2

pathoftheturtle
03-12-2010, 12:39 PM
have watched the It miniseries... oh shit... especially the final parts. The very beginning was ok, and the kids were not that bad, but the adults... ::shudders:: ... Not that they were horrid or something, they were just nonexistent, with the single possible exception of Mike, and that only because the others were even worse.Quite right. :puke: And it's a real shame, too. :angry: What a waste of a great cast.

Woofer
03-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I'll second CotC and 1408.

ETA:

Great day in the morning! I just realized that Lawnmower Man is not on the list. This must be rectified immediately. To that end, I nominate Lawnmower Man.

http://blstb.msn.com/i/99/C1C4CF213B44B122CCE95C13CAC4.jpg

Brice
03-16-2010, 03:39 AM
I haven't nominated it because I don't consider it a SK movie at all.

Jean
03-16-2010, 03:41 AM
I haven't nominated it because I don't consider it a SK movie at all. Neither do I... is there any connection? I don't really know if I should add this nomination.

Qualifies for Worst Movie of All Times, though.

Brice
03-16-2010, 04:05 AM
I do think you should add it.

But all that makes it a SK movie is the name. King even had his name removed from the film's credits.

mae
03-16-2010, 05:00 AM
Apart from the name there is NOTHING in common with King's short story. NOTHING.

Odetta
03-16-2010, 06:07 AM
but it was based on his story... I say add it and I would second it

Jean
03-16-2010, 06:16 AM
ok, if you say it was, it was! I'm thirding it, then

Kingdom Hospital 1
Maximum Overdrive 2
The Mangler 4
The Stand 1
the IT miniseries 3
Thinner 1
Children Of The Corn 2
1408 - 2
Dreamcatcher - 3
The Dead Zone 2
Lawnmower Man 3

Woofer
03-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Exactly, O, and that is why, IMO, it is the worst screen adaptation of King hands down. That movie pissed me off. Grrrrrr.

I really like the story.

turtlex
03-16-2010, 06:52 AM
He Who Walks Behind The Rows.... I was going to third Children Of The Corn, but it's soooo bad, it comes back around again to kind of good. :blush:

Solar
03-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Nominating

- Tommyknockers miniseries

- Rob Lowe version of Salem's Lot

- The Shawshank Redemption

Ok, I'm kidding on that last one.

Kronz
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Silver Bullet

Most King adaptations are bad but I am surprised people dislike the Kubrick and Cronenberg films, both are masterpieces to me. I suppose I am more of a film buff than a book buff though.

pathoftheturtle
03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Silver Bullet

Most King adaptations are bad but I am surprised people dislike the Kubrick and Cronenberg films, both are masterpieces to me. I suppose I am more of a film buff than a book buff though.Good insights, but I am surprised you dislike Silver Bullet.

...IMO, (Lawnmower Man) is the worst screen adaptation of King hands down...But it was not an adaptation at all... it was outright theft! I cry foul; unfair advantage. This should be for all of the terrible junk which King actually approved.

Nominating

- Tommyknockers miniseries
SECOND!

Jean
03-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Kingdom Hospital 1
Maximum Overdrive 2
The Mangler 4
The Stand 1
the IT miniseries 3
Thinner 1
Children Of The Corn 2
1408 - 2
Dreamcatcher - 3
The Dead Zone 2
Lawnmower Man 3
The Tommyknockers miniseries 2
'Salem's Lot (Rob Lowe version) 1
Silver Bullet 1

Woofer
03-17-2010, 06:00 AM
I'll withdraw my nomination if you guys want.

Jean
03-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Lawnmower, you mean? Why, it has already been thirded! Bears were happy to support it in this category. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

pathoftheturtle
03-17-2010, 07:23 AM
I propose that we add a special category of "Worst Hollywood Exploitation of SK's Prestige" to our Hall of Shame & there give Lawnmower Man a Lifetime Effrontery Award. :arg:

Woofer
03-17-2010, 08:16 AM
I could totally go with that, path.

Jean, I was just trying to be reasonable since it is sooooo far away from the story. However, it was "based on" the King story, and he pulled his name from it when he saw the travesty it had become.

The Lawnmower Man, starring Jeff Fahey and Pierce Brosnan, released in 1992 by New Line Cinema. This film was based mostly on an original screenplay — the story concerns a scientist (Doctor Angelo, played by Brosnan) using a mentally retarded man (Jobe Smith, played by Fahey) for virtual reality experiments, who becomes more intelligent in the process but also evil — and only used minimal elements of King's story. King was so disappointed with the film's departure from his story that he sued to have his name removed from any association with it. A sequel titled The Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace was released in 1996.

Bolding mine. They wanted his name on it even though they had destroyed his story, so he had to sue to have "Stephen King" taken off it.

Just in case anyone thought that it just happened to have the same name.

mae
03-17-2010, 08:20 AM
What "minimal elements" were there?

Woofer
03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
There was grass mowing in the film and in the story. Maybe they are counting all the blades of grass to get elements instead of one element.

candy
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
There was grass mowing in the film and in the story. Maybe they are counting all the blades of grass to get elements instead of one element.

:wtf: and i do believe there may have been a man!!:wtf:

Jean
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

Woofer
03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
You are correct, candy. So, essentially, the movie and the book share these elements:

Grass
Mowing
A human male

Jean
03-17-2010, 12:36 PM
well, three is plural, isn't it?

Woofer
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
So true, Jean, so true. They got us on that one. Elements indeed.

pathoftheturtle
03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
The Lawnmower Man, starring Jeff Fahey and Pierce Brosnan, released in 1992 by New Line Cinema. This film was based mostly on an original screenplay — the story concerns a scientist (Doctor Angelo, played by Brosnan) using a mentally retarded man (Jobe Smith, played by Fahey) for virtual reality experiments, who becomes more intelligent in the process but also evil — and only used minimal elements of King's story. King was so disappointed with the film's departure from his story that he sued to have his name removed from any association with it. A sequel titled The Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace was released in 1996. ...Just cause I'm curious to read more, could you say where that quote is from?

Woofer
03-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Well, that's sort of a generalization, but there is some discussion on it in Creepshows the Illustrated Stephen King Movie Guide by Stephen Jones. I pulled the wiki quote because I remember the brouhaha around the release of the film. According to the same wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lawnmower_Man_(film)), New Line had the rights to his story and decided to use it as a $$$-maker by tacking King's name onto the original script Cyber God, written by the director and producer (two people, not one person in two roles).

pathoftheturtle
03-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, very crass. I mean that whole fiasco.

BTW, unbelievable true story: I loved King's story, and I was so upset that there was no trace of it onscreen that I stayed in the movie theater to see who the writers were in the credits.
So I'm sitting there, the room empties out, and this freaky looks-just-like-a-hobo starts going up and down the aisles, picking up whatever people left. Out of nowhere, he shoots me a weird, toothless gin and says, "He usually makes a cameo, now, doesn't he?"
That was when I split.

candy
03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah, very crass. I mean that whole fiasco.

BTW, unbelievable true story: I loved King's story, and I was so upset that there was no trace of it onscreen that I stayed in the movie theater to see who the writers were in the credits.
So I'm sitting there, the room empties out, and this freaky looks-just-like-a-hobo starts going up and down the aisles, picking up whatever people left. Out of nowhere, he shoots me a weird, toothless gin and says, "He usually makes a cameo, now, doesn't he?"
That was when I split.

:wtf: love it!!

Woofer
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Sorry, path, didn't mean to scare you off.

mae
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
The references to the short story include the scene where Jobe kills Peter's father with the lawnmower "Big Red" and the aftermath where the police state that they found part of his remains in the birdbath, as well as the company Terry McKeen works for, Pastoral Greenery.

Well if that's the case anything can be said to be based on anything...

Woofer
03-20-2010, 03:05 PM
So true. No wonder he didn't want his name on it. I might not think it sucked if it wasn't supposed to be The Lawnmower Man that I know and love. Sort of how I might enjoy Starship Troopers if they hadn't tried to make it Robert Heinlein's story and get it so very, very wrong. The Puppet Masters still takes the cake in bad Heinlein adaptations, though.

So it stays for the next round or...? I'm flexible.

I also hate the movie.

velcro_fly
03-20-2010, 03:39 PM
I third Maximum Overdrive

Jean
03-21-2010, 02:04 AM
So true. No wonder he didn't want his name on it. I might not think it sucked if it wasn't supposed to be The Lawnmower Man that I know and love.
You know, I watched it before I read the story, and I didn't know it was in any way connected with King; well, it sucked Big Time anyway.

So it stays for the next round or...? I'm flexible.

The question, indeed, still remains.

Ladies and gentlemen: can The Lawnmower Man be considered "King on the Screen" if King himself denied it?

Kingdom Hospital 1
Maximum Overdrive 3
The Mangler 4
The Stand 1
the IT miniseries 3
Thinner 1
Children Of The Corn 2
1408 - 2
Dreamcatcher - 3
The Dead Zone 2
Lawnmower Man 3
Silver Bullet 1

Woofer
03-21-2010, 04:57 AM
So true. No wonder he didn't want his name on it. I might not think it sucked if it wasn't supposed to be The Lawnmower Man that I know and love.
You know, I watched it before I read the story, and I didn't know it was in any way connected with King; well, it sucked Big Time anyway.

So much for that theory! Hehehe. :couple:

alinda
03-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Actually , I know this may sound amazing but I too saw the film ( Lawnmower Man )not having read the storyor knowing it was SK at all. And quess what? I thought it stunk real bad too.

This film was really really crap and so I give it my vote as Kings worst film adaptation.
having read Dream catcher , likeing the book a little , I was surprized to find I somehow
enjoyed the film a wee bit more.
The rest of the films mentioned above without exception were all rather bad impersonators
of Sai Kings stories in my oppinion but then it is my belief that most adaptions are crap. Thats why I am a reader. Now there have been great ones dont get me wrong ...like Shawshank, for example amoung a few shing others ( I liked The Green Mile too) but
generally speaking altho I own many of them just cuz they are King I dont usually like most any of them enough to write home here about :P<< end rant>>

pathoftheturtle
03-21-2010, 10:42 AM
:blush: I'm not paying enough attention... I had assumed that The Stand was already official.
I second The Stand.
...having read Dream catcher , likeing the book a little , I was surprized to find I somehow
enjoyed the film a wee bit more. ...I agree. I liked the book a little, and I did like the film a wee bit more. Still no good, though.
There's really two major types here; films that were poor representations of good books, and works that just basically stink. (Plus Lawnmower Man, which really is NOT SK at all, and definitely belongs in a whole other category.)

alinda
03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Hee. Hi Mike I am very happy to see you, and honored that we are in agreement.:couple:

Candice Dionysus
03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm going to agree with whoever has said Dreamcatcher. (I guess this would be a "fourthing.")

Stockerlone
03-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I nominate The Lawnmower-Man

Jean
03-21-2010, 12:05 PM
I nominate The Lawnmower-Man
well, actually it has already been nominated, seconded and thirded, and now we're debating whether it should be there at all.

I will count your nomination as fourthing, and this will mean you still can nominate something! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Canada
03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I third Kubrick's Shining. I agree that it was a pretty good movie by movie standards (Jack Nicholson did an awesome job, as always) but I felt the miniseries version was creepier and did a better job of explaining why the hotel was the way it was (the bee-hive scenes.) Also, I liked how it was actually shot at the real Overlook hotel, where King stayed and got the inspiration for the book. Like I said, not bad, but since there's two versions and the miniseries version is better....you know....

Also, I have to disagree on The Stand. It may have been cheesy but it stuck reasonably close to the book, and while it may have had some hilarious bloopers (the monster-shouter in new york who was supposed to be dead, yet managed to watch Larry and Nadine's scene on the park steps, even blinking a few times visibly in the background) it really nailed some characters (Tom, Flagg) and just...darn it Molly Ringwald is hot!

I would fourth IT, if it would mean anything, but just because of John Ritter's messed-up eyes. They were scarier than anything in that entire movie!

And (I'm almost done) if my vote means anything, I would seperate Lawnmower Man into a different Category. I mean, King obviously was disgusted with this film, why should we hold it against him when he didn't even give it his stamp of approval?

thebumblerinblack
03-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I would fourth IT, if it would mean anything, but just because of John Ritter's messed-up eyes. They were scarier than anything in that entire movie!

John Ritter had messed-up eyes? I never noticed that. I guess they're pretty messed up now, though, huh? Man, Canada, pissin in the eyes of a dead man. For shame :lol:.

Jean
03-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Kingdom Hospital 1
Maximum Overdrive 3
The Mangler 4
The Stand 2
The Shining (Kubrick version) 3
the IT miniseries 4
Thinner 1
Children Of The Corn 2
1408 - 2
Dreamcatcher 4
The Dead Zone 2
Lawnmower Man 4
Silver Bullet 1

And (I'm almost done) if my vote means anything, I would seperate Lawnmower Man into a different Category. I mean, King obviously was disgusted with this film, why should we hold it against him when he didn't even give it his stamp of approval?

guys, does anyone else think the same? to me too, that shit sticks out and makes my eyes sore every time I see it - even against the glorious background of the It miniseries and other similar crap. I am afraid if we leave it, it will win the vote, and the question remains - would it be fair, since we vote worst King on the screen, and King renounced that monster?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-25-2010, 01:00 AM
As long as Maximum Overdrive doesn't win in it's stead. If it does, you will hear me say, "But Lawnmower Man is the real piece of shit".

Jean
03-25-2010, 01:05 AM
I suggest leaving Lawnmower here, but removing it from the options in the voting round. We'll see how many people/animals support it here during the nominations, and give it a Special Award for a Movie That Gawd-Awful Even Stephen King Ran Away Screaming.

SynysterSaint
03-25-2010, 02:19 AM
In all fairness, Jean, King wasn't very impressed with Kubrick's work, either (if we're going to be debating about this). Nor was he enthused about It's cinema debut. We can't forget something exists simply because King despises it. It was based off of his work and is therefore part of the "King on Screen" categories.

Jean
03-25-2010, 02:32 AM
I really don't know, that's why I am asking. This is what wiki says, and to my mind it makes the Lawnmower greatly different from those King was just not very impressed with:

The film's original script, written by director Brett Leonard and producer Gimel Everett, was titled Cyber God and had nothing to do with King's short story. New Line Cinema held the film rights to King's story, and decided to combine Cyber God with some minor elements of King's "The Lawnmower Man". The resulting film, originally titled Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man, differed so much from the source material that King sued the filmmakers to remove his name from the title.

After two court rulings in King's favor, New Line still did not comply and initially released the home video version as Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man. A third ruling granted the author $10,000 per day in compensation and all profits derived from sales until his name was removed. On King's official website, the film is not listed among the films based on his work.

mae
03-25-2010, 04:51 AM
I too agree that Lawnmower Man is not a King adaptation. Read the Wikipedia entry for the film. New Line had a script already written and were gonna shoot that, but then acquired the rights to King's story and more or less just changed the title of their script to The Lawnmower Man. That's the only connection. None of the plot is there.

pathoftheturtle
03-25-2010, 06:00 AM
... This is what wiki says, and to my mind it makes the Lawnmower greatly different from those King was just not very impressed with:
...On King's official website, the film is not listed among the films based on his work. Yar. Withstanding, conversely:
www.stephenking.com/library/movie/shining_the (http://www.stephenking.com/library/movie/shining_the.html)
www.stephenking.com/library/television/it (http://www.stephenking.com/library/television/it.html)

Jean
03-25-2010, 06:16 AM
don't worry Mike, I know that it is very easy to make a mistake here, so I usually double-check nominations/supports a few hours after I update the list; was just going to add your vote to the Stand (done now). I may overlook something (to err is ursine), but eventually I fix it.

Woofer
03-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I suggest leaving Lawnmower here, but removing it from the options in the voting round. We'll see how many people/animals support it here during the nominations, and give it a Special Award for a Movie That Gawd-Awful Even Stephen King Ran Away Screaming.

Love love love!

How about a slight change?

Movie So Horrible, So Painfully Gawd-Awful That Even Stephen King Ran Away Screaming (And Sued to Have His Name Removed Because, Well, Wouldn't You?) Award

Couldn't you just hear that at the Oscars?

{Interior. Oscars. Winona Ryder is at the podium.}

Winona: In the category So Horrible, So Painfully Gawd-Awful That Even Stephen King Ran Away Screaming (And Sued to Have His Name Removed Because, Well, Wouldn't You?) the nominees are:

Lost in Space
Skinwalkers
Meet the Spartans
Lost in Space

{chuckles from Winona and the audience}

Winona:Lost in Space gets a double nomination for having both William Hurt and Gary Oldman and still stinking like rotting seaweed.

Winona: And the winner for So Horrible, So Painfully Gawd-Awful That Even Stephen King Ran Away Screaming (And Sued to Have His Name Removed Because, Well, Wouldn't You?) is

{envelope opening and dramatic pause}

Winona:LOST IN SPACE!

{crowd goes wild and the announcer recaps over the applause}

Announcer: Winning the So Horrible, So Painfully Gawd-Awful That Even Stephen King Ran Away Screaming (And Sued to Have His Name Removed Because, Well, Wouldn't You?) is Lost in Space. Coming up to receive the award is... Matt Leblanc.

Jean
03-25-2010, 10:05 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

mae
03-26-2010, 04:46 AM
:wtf:

Jean
05-02-2010, 11:06 PM
dear friends, please take one final look in case you forgot to nominate or support someone or something

the nominaitons will be closed next Friday

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Jean
05-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Nominations are closed in this thread.

These movies advance to the final round:

Maximum Overdrive
The Mangler
The Shining
The IT miniseries
Dreamcatcher

There are five nominations with 2 votes each. To determine which four will advance, PLEASE vote in the poll that has been added to this thread.

The poll will be closed on Wednesday.

pathoftheturtle
05-07-2010, 09:33 AM
How does "Kingdom Hospital" advance without even being seconded? :unsure:

Jean
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
oops, what a big copypaste blunder bears committed!!! sorry guys, the poll is closed, there are only ten that advance - and silly bears wondered why we had eleven while we clearly had only ten

the poll is closed, then, and all these advance:

Maximum Overdrive
The Mangler
The Stand
The Shining (Kubrick version)
the IT miniseries
Children Of The Corn
Dreamcatcher
The Dead Zone
The Tommyknockers miniseries

sorry friends!

and many thanks to path, he with a real gunslinger's eye!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

(come to think of it, it was a Freudian mistake... I probably wanted to much to give 1408 a chance to drop off the list...)

pathoftheturtle
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
np, mon ami. :)
Looks to me like the only mistake, out of all these categories, so you've actually done great. :D Many thanks! Plus, I can sure sympatahize; 1408 don't deserve the dishonor at'all. <_< Ah, well: fair's fair. :grouphug: (In the end, tho, I think that I'm a-gonna have to cast my own vote for The Mangler. http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/smileys/smiley-yuck.gif )

Jean
05-07-2010, 12:32 PM
path - hearing now that you looked through all of these relieves my mind greatly! I was trying to do the same now, but realized couldn't see a thing after a day's work. Thank you! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

JRM
05-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Surprised 1408 was even an option for worst. I really, really liked that movie.

mae
05-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Well, it was an option because someone nominated it. I liked it too, for the record.

JRM
05-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Well, it was an option because someone nominated it. I liked it too, for the record.

Oh I see.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm surprised Kingdom Hospital was never seconded. Man, that was bad.:arg:

Jean
05-10-2010, 10:13 AM
have just watched the Mist

wish I had watched it earlier - I would have nominated it here

idiotic, pointless, totally anti-King ending. Bachman version?

JRM
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM

idiotic, pointless, totally anti-King ending. Bachman version?

:scared:

I love that movie. It's probably my all time favorite horror film. :panic:

But opinions are opinions. :unsure:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I really liked the movie too. I thought the ending was much better than the ending of the story. I also envisioned a cheap, B horror flick when I was reading it, and Darabont said in an interview that the B flick look is what he was shooting for in the movie. I think it was a complete success.

JRM
05-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I really liked the movie too. I thought the ending was much better than the ending of the story. I also envisioned a cheap, B horror flick when I was reading it, and Darabont said in an interview that the B flick look is what he was shooting for in the movie. I think it was a complete success.
I agree. In fact, I liked it way more than the novella (which I did like). I thought the scenes that were added and those that were taken out were spot-on. And the ending was perfect, imo. :clap:

pathoftheturtle
05-13-2010, 07:46 AM

idiotic, pointless, totally anti-King ending. Bachman version?Right on. I've been saying the same things for some time.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7061&highlight=Mist
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8637&highlight=Mist

Jean
05-13-2010, 08:47 AM
thank you path! I never read those threads before, now I will!

(totally agree with what you say in the Mist Connections thread, post number... er... 19.... hmmm...)