PDA

View Full Version : Best Minor Character--Nominations Closed

Jean
03-02-2010, 12:36 AM
This thread is for members to nominate characters for the Award for Best Minor Character. In order for a character to be eligible for nomination they must satisfy the definition of a supporting character listed below, and they must be a character from one of Stephen King's published works, including any of his novels, novellas, and short stories. Characters from titles published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman are also eligible.

To nominate a character for this category, simply post your choice in this thread. In order for a character to be placed onto the voting ballot for the Award the nominated character must be seconded and thirded, also in this thread. This is to ensure that we do not have an overly long list of contenders for the Award, and that--by virtue of the nomination process--each character listed on the ballot is guaranteed to have at least something of a following come voting time. Please note that you MUST clearly state in your post that you are seconding or thirding a nomination for it to count. Feel free to deliberate and discuss your choices in this thread.

While you may second or third a nomination more than once, we ask that there be only one new nomination per member.

Minor Character - Any character in a literary work whose contribution is essentially smaller than that of a Supporting Character (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=489362). This way we can hope to do justice to such unforgettable creations of Sai King's superbly multifaceted talent that otherwise might have been eclipsed by other, apparently more significant ones

The distinction is not always obvious, so do not be afraid to nominate in the "wrong" category; there are always mods around who would be happy to move your nominations to where they belong.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Jud Crandall

SynysterSaint
03-02-2010, 02:51 AM
The coach bus driver at the end of 'Salem's Lot that buys Callahan the booze.

mae
03-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Jud Crandall

Vehemently seconded.

candy
03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Irv Manders - Fire starter

Hannah
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Speedy Parker

Jean
03-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Jud Crandall - 2
The coach bus driver at the end of 'Salem's Lot - 1
Irv Manders - 1
Speedy Parker - 1

michalz00
03-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Rosalita Munoz

candy
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Speedy Parker

seconded:thumbsup:

pathoftheturtle
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Thirding Speedy Parker

Jean
03-03-2010, 11:10 PM
bears second Rosalita

Jud Crandall 2
The coach bus driver at the end of 'Salem's Lot 1
Irv Manders 1
Speedy Parker 3
Rosalita Munoz 2

Sickrose
03-04-2010, 05:01 AM
I'll third Jud Crandall.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2010, 05:20 AM
I'll nominate Tom Cullen from the Stand.

pathoftheturtle
03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Second Tom Cullen.
I nominate Gordon LaChance, the protagonist from "The Body".

mae
03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
The woodchuck from Under the Dome :)

Lily-sai
03-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Thirding Speedy Parker

Fourt.. ah, never mind. I'm the fourth voter for Speedy. :lol:

Hannah
03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
The woodchuck from Under the Dome :)

seconded.

:lol:

Jean
03-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Lily-sai has transferred here her nomination for Trashcan Man. Bears second it.
Bears also third Tom Cullen.

Jud Crandall 3
Irv Manders 1
Speedy Parker 4
Rosalita Munoz 2
Trashcan Man 2
Tom Cullen 3
Gordon LaChance 1
The woodchuck (Under the Dome) 2

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Second Gordy

pathoftheturtle
03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Third Trashcan Man.

Heather19
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Can Gordon LaChance really be considered a minor character? He was the main character of that story.

I'll third the Woodchuck :)

Jean
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Jud Crandall (Pet Sematary) 3
Irv Manders (Firestarter) 1
Speedy Parker (The Talisman - Black House) 4
Rosalita Munoz (DT) 2
Trashcan Man (The Stand) 3
Tom Cullen (the Stand) 3
Gordon LaChance (The Body) 2 ---> may have to be moved to Protagonist
The woodchuck (Under the Dome) 3

candy
03-06-2010, 12:09 AM
fourth vote for tom cullen

pathoftheturtle
03-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Yes, he is, but it's not exactly one of King's main stories, and I hoped to do justice to such an unforgettable creation that might be eclipsed by other, apparently more significant ones. If we're going to be strict about characters with "contributions in a literary work essentially smaller than that of a Supporting Character," then I think that Jud should also be moved. He really is one of SK's best supporting characters.

Heather19
03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Well this is just purely my opinion, and I don't mean any disrespect, but I think it's kinda unfair to put him up against some very minor characters (some of which only appear in a story for a page or two). I understand what you're saying and he would surely get left behind in the best protagonist category, but maybe supporting character would be a better fit for him? It's just that he is the most prominent character in the story, and it was a novella not a short story, so that gave the reader a lot of time to get to know him.

Jean
03-11-2010, 01:28 AM
I will move Gordon; does anybody else think he should go to Supporting? I mean, if he is a protagonist, he can't go to Supporting for the only reason he has no chance against other Protagonists, can he?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-11-2010, 01:31 AM
I had no problem with Gordy staying here.

pathoftheturtle
03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, you can't move him to Protagonist if you also decide to move David to there, (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=490542&postcount=28) unless someone else wants to nominate one of them, in my stead. I apologize sincerely if these make it look like I'm causing problems intentionally... I most definitely would like to have all settled quickly.

Woofer
03-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I'll fifth Tom Cullen and nominate John Cullen.

Brice
03-16-2010, 03:38 AM
Well, you can't move him to Protagonist if you also decide to move David to there, (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=490542&postcount=28) unless someone else wants to nominate one of them, in my stead. I apologize sincerely if these make it look like I'm causing problems intentionally... I most definitely would like to have all settled quickly.

It is and always has been my opinion that the person nominating should determine what category the nominations should go in. The votes will determine from there.

Jean
03-16-2010, 03:47 AM
My opinion, however, is that if characters are nominated in the wrong categories, it lowers their chances to be treated in a fair way by further seconding and, then, voting. Anyway, Purpose, not Random, will always reign in forums run by bears. I am moving Gordon to Secondary, and assume that Chambers is the Protagonist in that story.

Brice
03-16-2010, 03:58 AM
This has nothing to do really with purpose and random. I am not trying to create chaos or dissent even. I just stated an opinion. Do with it as you will. It has to do with the fact that people are smart enough to know where they feel their nominations should be. To move them in my opinion implies otherwise. If someone feels a nomination should be in a category other than the one it is in there is no reason it can't be nominated in more than one and it will win or not win based on people's votes. What makes your opinion of where a nomination should lie more than the person who nominates it?

Jean
03-16-2010, 04:11 AM
Nothing. I am trying to make the categories in accordance with what is stated in post 1 of every thread, primarily by Aaron. If I see that a nomination disagrees with the destination of a thread, I move it to a more appropriate thread, always referring to the definitions given. I will immediately move a nomination back if the one who nominated it gives me some good reasons why he primarily put it where he did; it may very well be that I overlooked some considerations. I always think before I do it, compare categories, and consult people; however, I, too, can make a mistake, of course.

It is not whose arbitrary opinion is right or wrong, it is what is in accordance with the rules stated, and what is not. And if I want us to play by the rules - which I do - then I have to take upon myself the responsibility to see to it that the rules are observed; that's all.

Brice
03-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Well, since I lack the time or the inclination to defend why I make a nomination should someone decide that it wasn't a worthwhile nomination I'll simply remove myself from nominating or voting entirely.

However I will say this in a poll if we follow whatever is nominated and voted on and adhere strictly to the numbers then we are following all the rules that matter.

Tito_Villa
03-16-2010, 04:55 AM
I honsetly don't see the problem with Brice's thoughts, the thing is that people get to vote how they feel!?

mae
03-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Brice, this is all about having fun, don't take it so seriously! :nana:

Jean
03-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Well, since I lack the time or the inclination to defend why I make a nomination should someone decide that it wasn't a worthwhile nomination I'll simply remove myself from nominating or voting entirely.

However I will say this in a poll if we follow whatever is nominated and voted on and adhere strictly to the numbers then we are following all the rules that matter.
OK, enough is enough.
Please do not exaggerate. It's mere demagogy and populism. I've always respected the members' opinions and have been guided, I repeat, by the rules. A game doesn't exist without rules. If you don't understand it yourself - which I hope you do - here are some examples of what makes it impossible to make it the way you're offering:

1. Two people make the same nomination in different categories.
2. Someone nominates a novel in short stories, or a secondary character as minor because he didn't look at other categories - or by any other clear mistake.
3. Someone nominates someone as a minor character, and someone else - not me - points out it is the wrong category.

I can go on, but isn't that enough? The way you're suggesting just doesn't work, while I haven't yet heard anyone except you complaining about how things are run here.

What was the point this time? Path nominated Gordon, I quote:

I nominate Gordon LaChance, the protagonist from "The Body".

- that is, stating that Gordon is a protagonist. Heather19 pointed out that he can't be here in Minor Characters, which is true by definition. The discussion went on long enough before its participants convinced me that Gordon should be moved; path concurred, adding that then I should consider moving Carver to protagonist, which I am considering at the moment, having made this idea public in the relevant thread. None of this wasn't my arbitrary decision, it was a result of a discussion, as things are always done in the forums I moderate. I don't know why you chose to completely disregard this fact now.

Brice
03-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Let's just not argue, Jean. I'll leave it alone.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-16-2010, 03:59 PM
If these arguments are relevant, then why is John Shooter in the minor antagonist thread. Seems almost exactly the same argument.

Sorry, don't want to fuel the fire, but I've wanted to make that point for awhile now.

That said, I have no problem with John Shooter being in that thread because he IS a minor character compared to the major antagonists (pennywise, Flagg, etc.). But for that same reason, I had no problem with Gordy being here.

Jean
03-16-2010, 10:57 PM
If these arguments are relevant, then why is John Shooter in the minor antagonist thread. Seems almost exactly the same argument.

Sorry, don't want to fuel the fire, but I've wanted to make that point for awhile now.
it is a good point, I'm asking this question in Best Minor Antagonist now. As I said, such things are a matter of discussion when they are not very clear.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-16-2010, 11:05 PM
It reeaally doesn't bother me. I just make mention of it, because at the same time that questions about Gordy came up, John Shooter was nominated. I really was using Shooter to defend Gordy as a minor protagonist because I know he has NO chance against saaaaay Roland.

Jean
03-16-2010, 11:12 PM
It reeaally doesn't bother me. I just make mention of it, because at the same time that questions about Gordy came up, John Shooter was nominated. I really was using Shooter to defend Gordy as a minor protagonist because I know he has NO chance against saaaaay Roland.
I know what you mean - it is hard to achieve full consistance here, that's why in such controversial cases I normally wait for people's opinion. Whatever I do, it will never be perfect, but at least I've really been trying my best.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-16-2010, 11:14 PM
And you do such a good job! I am by no means complaining.:couple:

Jean
03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

mae
03-17-2010, 04:29 AM
I'm of the opinion that no matter the size and scope of the story, be it a thousand-page novel or a three-page short story, the antagonist/protagonist in it should always be considered major, not minor, because in that story they are. "Major/minor" here denotes not the relative value of these characters to all the other characters ever created by Stephen King, but simply to their own tale. Just my opinion.

Jean
03-17-2010, 04:33 AM
I'm of the opinion that no matter the size and scope of the story, be it a thousand-page novel or a three-page short story, the antagonist/protagonist in it should always be considered major, not minor, because in that story they are. "Major/minor" here denotes not the relative value of these characters to all the other characters ever created by Stephen King, but simply to their own tale. Just my opinion.
Right, that's how they are defined in starter posts. I am trying to remain consistent with them http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif.

pathoftheturtle
03-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Well, I just didn't get that. I've never believed in bending facts just to save face. To serve a higher Purpose, I'll cheerfully admit that I was not smart enough to know where my nomination should be. I say, "Live and learn." No harm meant. Thanks for clarifying the rules.

Stockerlone
03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Henrietta Dodd - Dead Zone

Jean
03-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Rosalita Munoz (DT) 2
Tom Cullen (the Stand) 5
John Cullum (TDT) 1
Henrietta Dodd (The Dead Zone) 1

Woofer: did I understand it correctly that you were nominating John Cullum?

velcro_fly
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
If Woofer was nominating John Cullum I will Second him, if not i will Nominate him.

pathoftheturtle
03-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Then I second, or third.

Jean
03-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Rosalita Munoz (DT) 2
Tom Cullen (the Stand) 5
John Cullum (TDT) 3

AsylumWitch
04-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Tossing my vote for John Cullum. Loved him. :)

Odetta
04-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Rosalita Munoz (DT) 2
Tom Cullen (the Stand) 5
John Cullum (TDT) 4

ladysai
04-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Another vote for John Cullum!

Jean
05-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Rosalita Munoz (DT) 2
Tom Cullen (the Stand) 5
John Cullum (TDT) 5

dear friends, please take one final look in case you forgot to nominate or support someone or something

this poll will be closed next Friday

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Jean
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Nominations are closed in this thread. All of the nominated characters advance to the final round.