PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's The Stand Comics - All Series Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Randall Flagg
03-12-2008, 10:57 AM
King announced today in an interview on NPR that Marvel will do 'The Stand' as a series of graphic novels.

Daghain
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Oh, now that could be cool. Did he say who the artist would be, by any chance?

Randall Flagg
03-12-2008, 11:02 AM
No. He just mentioned it in the interview, almost a slip.
I will post the link to the interview as soon as it is uploaded. Should be around 6PM EDT today.

Wuducynn
03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
:cool: Thanks Jerome. I'm really liking this relationship King and Marvel has. I was hoping for Eyes of the Dragon too..

Daghain
03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, thanks Jerome. I'm at work and couldn't listen to the live broadcast. :)

MonteGss
03-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Eyes of the Dragon would be awesome in graphic novel form!
Hmm, I wonder how many "issues" a Stand version would be. That's a long damned book. :)

Matt
03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I bet it goes on for a while, which I would love.

I remember he said a brief thing about this in Lilja's interview too right?

Randall Flagg
03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Interview Link:
http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=88144942&m=88144934

Samanthita
03-12-2008, 02:04 PM
This is pretty cool. The more I think about it, that book would probably be one of the best to be turned into a graphic novel.
I wonder how long it will take.

1ofthe19
03-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I just learned how to pronounce Roland's last name!!!!

Mr.King said: Des-jain
I was saying: Dec-esh-en

Matt
03-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Its pronounced in the audio version as des-chain. I loved the way he said it though, different than other ways I've heard it.

Erin
03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Amazing news! I can't wait to see The Stand in a different format!

Storyslinger
03-13-2008, 06:42 AM
This woiuld be awesome

BlakeMP
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Suh-Weet. Wonder who'll do the art.

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
This would be fantastic!!!

jayson
03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
it was funny, king said it so randomly that i was just like "did he just say what i think he said" and then he said it again quickly. i think this is a great idea for a graphic novelization. the stand has always been my fav non DT book and i can't wait to see this. i'd also love to see a graphic Talisman/Black House [maybe as a leadup to the alleged Jack Sawyer Book Three]

CyberGhostface
03-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm going to be honest and say I'd rather see new material by King rather than adaptations of existing ones. I'll probably still check out The Stand, though.

As for Eyes, if they were to do it, I would hope that they jump on the opportunity to continue it and finish up where it left off.

LadyHitchhiker
03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
And I've been pronouncing it "D'shain"

Ah well..
This isn't another April Fool's joke though is it? I'm SO EXCITED FOR THE STAND!!!!!!!

Brainslinger
04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
And I've been pronouncing it "D'shain"

Considering the posh sound of the other names that would be fitting. In my mind it was either Deh-shane or Deh-shine, but that's obviously similar. Deschain looks kind of French doesn't it? Like 'Dufresne' (pronounced Doo-frane, not Doo-frez-nee, like I assumed when I first saw it, duncebreed that I am.)

Daghain
04-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Nope, I did that too, Brainslinger. You're not alone. :lol:

CyberGhostface
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Hopefully it will be a better adaptation than the Gunslinger Born was.

Mark
04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I'll have to wait for it :( Hate being British...

mia/susannah
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Looking forward to The Stand being made into a comic. yay!!!

Brainslinger
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM

I'm British, but I still pick up the Dark Tower comics shortly after they come out. There are plenty to be picked up on ebay (although obviously there are postage costs that you wouldn't get just grabbing it from the shop.) I'd imagine it would be the same for this.

I'm not sure I'll bother grabbing the Stand comics though having the novel. I'm mainly interested in The Dark Tower comics for the new material (which we got plenty of, even in Gunslinger Born.)

That being said I imagine it would be some interesting artwork. It'd be interesting to see that first image of the dark man walking down the dusty road in his cowboy boots...

herbertwest
04-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Be a non-english native language person...
Officially you'll have to wait a lot to read it... or buying the english version as well...

Mark
04-15-2008, 08:16 AM

I'm British, but I still pick up the Dark Tower comics shortly after they come out. There are plenty to be picked up on ebay (although obviously there are postage costs that you wouldn't get just grabbing it from the shop.) I'd imagine it would be the same for this.

I'm not sure I'll bother grabbing the Stand comics though having the novel. I'm mainly interested in The Dark Tower comics for the new material (which we got plenty of, even in Gunslinger Born.)

That being said I imagine it would be some interesting artwork. It'd be interesting to see that first image of the dark man walking down the dusty road in his cowboy boots...

My Mum wont get an eBay account :(

Be a non-english native language person...
Officially you'll have to wait a lot to read it... or buying the english version as well...

Dude that's a bummer...

LadyHitchhiker
04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Sooooo when do we expect the stand to come out?

CyberGhostface
04-20-2008, 09:37 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008/Marvel/cupOjoe.html

Quesada ended the panel with a black and white image of a man with a long hair with wolves and human skulls at his feet. "I can't say what that it is yet, but it's going to be huge," Quesada said.

Speculation among fans leaving the panel immediately flew in the direction of (given representation of mass death and wolves as companions) the image being of Randal Flagg, the antagonist of Stephen King's The Stand. King announced on NPR that Marvel will be adapting the novel into a graphic novel in March.

:excited:

turtlex
04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Wow, awesome. Thanks for the udpate.
I'd wanted to attend the NYC CC, but couldn't make the 2+ hour drive.

Matt
04-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I wish I could have been there too.

And I REALLY wish I could see that picture :excited:

Ari_Racing
04-20-2008, 12:29 PM
No one took pics?

ladysai
04-22-2008, 08:31 AM
And I REALLY wish I could see that picture :excited:

You and me, both!

You'd think someone at the panel would have taken a pic of that picture, or one of the reporters covering the event would have gotten the image from Marvel to pass on to fans, but noooooo.
~scowl~

It's maddening!
Show us the image for crying out loud!

Patrick
04-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, I'd love to see it too.

Here's an article on the announcement (http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=150380) referenced in Cyber's post above from the same website.

Also, I edited the thread title to reference the comic series being discussed. :)

ladysai
05-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Seems that Marvel is keeping any progress on The Stand close to the vest.
From today's 'Cup O Joe':
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=92159514&blogID=389229861

Deadly Shaolin asks:
Hola Joe,
1) Can you give us more hints or details on the image you showed at the end of a panel at New York Comic Con where a long-haired man was surrounded by wolves and had skulls at his feet?
2) Can we expect to see Kang or Count Nefaria going against the Avengers at some point?
3) Red Hulk vs. Mighty Avengers. Coming up?
4) If a fan takes it upon himself to commission an artist to revamp a character's design in a drawing, then e-mails the design to you, could it be implemented in the books if the design is really good?

JQ: Shaolin, just how deadly are you? I'd just like to know before I answer your questions
1) Nope, you'll just have to stew on it for a bit.

pfffftttt! :P

Jimmy
06-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Mike Perkins is a great choice for the art chores on The Stand. I love his Flagg. Dark, sinister, and with a hint of Jamey Sheridan. Just a hint.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=158855

I'm glad they'll be adapting the Unabridged Edition as well and I look forward to see how they fit it all in in 30 issues.

jayson
06-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Looks like it will be great. Thanks for posting Jimmy.

Bev Vincent
06-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Here's a huge update (http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/marvelcomics/thestand/STANDCREDITS_sm.jpg) on the project, including artwork.

Jimmy
06-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Beat you to it!

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3115

ladysai
06-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Awesome news!
Thanks for the update, fellas.
:)

Brainslinger
06-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Great artwork. Different from Jae Lee's (which is good too, in a different way.) Very... raw.

I like the Flagg depictions although he's perhaps a bit uglier than what he is described in the book. I think that's mainly down to the facial expressions in those pictures though. Apart from that fairly spot on I'd say.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting this though since it's essentially a retelling of a story I've already read. Curious that it will be the same length as the Dark Tower issues (in total.) Its a big book sure, but then so was Wizard and Glass. I get the impression maybe it will be a complete adaption in graphic form rather than the main plot points like Gunslinger Born was.

herbertwest
06-02-2008, 12:46 AM
that rocks!

what
06-02-2008, 04:29 AM
should i read the book first?

Brice
06-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Uhhh....YES!!! If you haven't read it you should definitely read it dude.

jhanic
06-02-2008, 04:36 AM
I agree. The Stand, especially the uncut version, is probably King's best work. READ IT!!!

John

what
06-02-2008, 05:21 AM
I'll be ordering it today... just gotta find the one I want...

Arthur Heath
06-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Ive never read any Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa books, which makes me a little nervous. Jimmy, can you, or any of you other comic nuts, give me a little insight on the author?

Randall Flagg
06-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I am going to merge this and another The Stand Comic thread into the original thread.

fernandito
06-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Ive never read any Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa books, which makes me a little nervous. Jimmy, can you, or any of you other comic nuts, give me a little insight on the author?

He's a Capricorn who believes in fidelity. He enjoys long walks on the beach and reading by bonfires.

:cyclops:

Jimmy
06-02-2008, 10:12 AM

He's written several plays, which have been reviewed well. He's a writer on the cable show "Big Love" and I've read his SI: Fantastic Four and his Dead of Night book, both were very good. His current mini-series about the X-Men's Angel is also being reviewed as being good. He's won a GLAAD award for his work.

Also, he's a Capricorn who believes in fidelity. He enjoys long walks on the beach and reading by bonfires.

CyberGhostface
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm excited about this a lot, although I'd rather see new material from King than adaptations of his previous work, like Joe Hill is doing right now.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa did a fantastic job on Sensational Spider-Man. He had a great respect for the continuity of the title and knew how to spin a great yarn. He's pretty underrated too from what I could grasp, so I'm glad he's getting a high-profile project like this. He deserves it.

Anyone wanna bet that Stephen King's going to revise the ending of The Stand and have Flagg get eaten by Kojak or die sitting on the toilet?

ladysai
06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I'd love to see Flagg die on the john.
A perfect throne for that would-be king. :D

Randall Flagg
06-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Flagg:

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/stand_1_1.jpghttp://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/878/878225/the-stand-20080601060353185.jpg

Jimmy
06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm excited about this a lot, although I'd rather see new material from King than adaptations of his previous work, like Joe Hill is doing right now.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa did a fantastic job on Sensational Spider-Man. He had a great respect for the continuity of the title and knew how to spin a great yarn. He's pretty underrated too from what I could grasp, so I'm glad he's getting a high-profile project like this. He deserves it.

Anyone wanna bet that Stephen King's going to revise the ending of The Stand and have Flagg get eaten by Kojak or die sitting on the toilet?

Why would King have to revise the ending? Not saying the hand of god was the best way to go, just wondering.

Bev Vincent
06-03-2008, 01:00 PM
King won't revise the ending. I doubt he's doing very much beyond signing off on things. The interviews I've read say they intend to be very faithful to the uncut version of the novel. I don't expect anything new--nothing we haven't seen before.

jhanic
06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
King won't revise the ending. I doubt he's doing very much beyond signing off on things. The interviews I've read say they intend to be very faithful to the uncut version of the novel. I don't expect anything new--nothing we haven't seen before.

I think this is one reason I'm not too excited about this series. I like to see NEW King material, such as we're getting in the Dark Tower series. I don't know how The Stand can be condensed into a graphic novel without losing much of the characterizations and other story points that make it such a great read.

John

LadyHitchhiker
06-03-2008, 03:26 PM
You have a very good point.

CyberGhostface
06-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Why would King have to revise the ending? Not saying the hand of god was the best way to go, just wondering.

I was joking about King's recent characterization of Flagg more than anything else. I don't think (or want) that King will change the book.

On a more serious note, I'd love King to do something completely NEW for Marvel with no ties whatsoever to any previous work. Again, Joe Hill is doing a fantastic job with his original work at IDW, and IMO its blowing anything King's done with Marvel out of the park.

Jimmy
06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
I was joking about King's recent characterization of Flagg more than anything else. I don't think (or want) that King will change the book.

Oh in that case, Flagg will choke to death on Jell-O while watching Golden Girls.

ladysai
06-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh in that case, Flagg will choke to death on Jell-O while watching Golden Girls.

No, he wont.
He'll die on the shitter, a look of both relief and surprise on his face.
And ka will smile.

Jimmy
06-04-2008, 03:31 AM

No, he wont.
And ka will smile.

Well could he at least be eating Jell-O, and be watching Golden Girls while in the bathroom?

Brainslinger
06-04-2008, 06:11 AM
I think this is one reason I'm not too excited about this series. I like to see NEW King material, such as we're getting in the Dark Tower series. I don't know how The Stand can be condensed into a graphic novel without losing much of the characterizations and other story points that make it such a great read.

John

From the blurb I've read, they're going to adapt the Stand adapted with the same amount of issues that they are doing for the Dark Tower. Think about that. One novel (granted a very big one) with the the same amount of issues as all the arcs for the Dark Tower comics. Maybe they'll cover a lot more detail than is often the case with comics.

I imagine many things will change with translation, but as an adaption, I've got high hopes for this.

Again, I'm not sure I'll go for this as I'd prefer new material. I have to say though, those pictures of Flagg above are amazing. Pretty close to my mental image of him in that novel.

CyberGhostface
06-04-2008, 08:08 AM
And ka will smile.

That'd be better than how King finished him. :clap:

herbertwest
06-11-2008, 05:02 AM
oO!

ive just noticed that there is a date for the project:

SEPTEMBER 2008! (i didnt see anyone on this forum mentionning the date!)

CyberGhostface
06-17-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/602/Issue11.jpgTHE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS #1 (of 5)

Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA

Penciled & Inked by MIKE PERKINS

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

Variant Cover by MIKE PERKINS

Sketch Variant Cover by LEE BERMEJO

It begins here: the apocalyptic epic battle between good and evil based on the classic bestseller by master of horror Stephen King! On a secret army base in the Californian desert, something has gone horribly, terribly wrong. Something that will send Charlie Campion and his wife and daughter fleeing in the middle of the night. Unfortunately for the Campion family--and the rest of America--they are unaware that all three of them are carrying a deadly cargo: A virus that will spread from person to person like wildfire, triggering a massive wave of disease and death, prefacing humanity's last stand! Be there as writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four) teams with artist Mike Perkins (Captain America) for the first arc in the next great Stephen King event!

jayson
06-17-2008, 10:01 AM
this is gonna be so freakin' cool!

CyberGhostface
06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Kind've disappointing that the entire first issue (judging by the solict) is just going to be about the Campions...

Matt
06-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Oh man, I need to get this on the comics site page. :drool:

Thanks for posting it.

Daghain
06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but when is this coming out?

jhanic
06-17-2008, 12:08 PM
If the first arc concerns only the Campions, I wonder how many arcs the entire series will be.

John

lophophoras
06-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Can't wait!

Brainslinger
06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
If the first arc concerns only the Campions, I wonder how many arcs the entire series will be.

John

I believe I read somewhere it would be 5.

It'll be the same amount as the Dark Tower comics anyway.

CyberGhostface
06-17-2008, 05:53 PM

John

Well, its not the first arc featuring the Campions, just the first issue. But I have a feeling that the first arc will basically just focus on the plague and the end of the world and will probably just be setting things up. Although its been a long time since I read it.

jhanic
06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
That makes more sense!

John

Erin
06-17-2008, 07:13 PM
:drool: :drool:

That rocks.

blackrose22
06-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Shit I've still to get all the Gunslinger Born comics and now this is coming out. Going to have to hit Forbidden Planet in Dublin shorty and get them the ones I'm missing.

ladysai
06-18-2008, 06:05 AM

September 10th, 2008.

The Marvel September preview also lists two variants, a 'sketch variant', and a 'Perkins variant'.
http://marvel.com/catalog/?date=2008-09

I'm really looking forward to September.
:D

jhanic
06-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Jeez, more variants! I guess I'll have to get them too!

John

MonteGss
06-18-2008, 07:48 AM
This is going to be super-cool. Thanks for posting this Cyber! :)

Daghain
06-18-2008, 09:51 AM

September 10th, 2008.

The Marvel September preview also lists two variants, a 'sketch variant', and a 'Perkins variant'.
http://marvel.com/catalog/?date=2008-09

I'm really looking forward to September.

Awesome. Thanks!

iprimate858
06-18-2008, 03:56 PM
What else has Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa written?

CyberGhostface
06-20-2008, 06:25 AM
He did a great run in Sensational Spider-Man. He's also written for the HBO show Big Love. I'd say that the comic is in good hands.

Bev Vincent
06-20-2008, 06:45 AM
There are supposed to be about 30 issues in total.

funky dredd
06-20-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm really looking forward to this!

wizardsrainbow
06-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Aside from the Dark Tower, The Stand is my favorite King book and was my very first collectible.

CyberGhostface
06-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Roughly speaking the average number of material covered in each issue will likely be 38 pages (of the actual novel), and the amount of book material covered in the respective arcs will be 228 pages.

Of course, I'm getting these new numbers by dividing the Mass Market Paperback edition (which is 1141 pages long) with five and thirty, respectively, but I think its a decent estimate. Of course, I'm willing to bet some events in the book will be given more time than others, so that should be counted in.

bangoskank1
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
check it out on Liljas Library.com

mia/susannah
06-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I am not a big comic fan but I would like to acquire the Dark Tower comics and The Stand Comics. They sound like they are going to be great

Tvmorbid
06-26-2008, 01:06 AM
I find it interesting that Marvel are adapting The Stand, especially due to the large copnnections is has to The Dark Tower. I wonder if they're doing this series to introduce people to Flagg so they introduce him into the Dark Tower series? There's a lot of empty spaces in the main story where Flagg was off doing other stuff, might be interesting to cover that in a series :)

Brainslinger
06-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I actually thought he might be doing the Stand stuff in the time period he was away in the Dark Tower books. Can't tell for sure of course but it fits in well with... his appearance in the emerald palace in Wizard and Glass. He could have returned there after the events of course, but I kinda got the impression the events are going on in that world at that moment.

It doesn't entirely fit with his amnesia in the Stand mind, but I've a theory that's a slightly different trips world to the one in WAG and a slightly different Flagg (i.e. events happen are similar but without the amnesia, if that makes sense.)

jhanic
06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Looks like Marvel is doing a Sketchbook preview of The Stand. According to the auction, it's due out July 3.

The Stand Sketchbook (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KINGS-THE-STAND-COMIC-BOOK-PREVIEW-SKETCHBOOK_W0QQitemZ380041363702QQihZ025QQcategory Z35765QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

John

Bev Vincent
06-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Same day as the Almanac.

Here's an interview with the artist (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16972)

natehorning
06-28-2008, 12:45 PM
So is The Long Road Home issue 5 out July 2nd, the almanac July 3rd and The Stand sketchbook July 3rd? I have to drive to the next city over to get them and want to consolidate my trips down as far as possible. Stupid gas prices.

Nate

Bev Vincent
06-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I would think everything is out on the same day, as most shipments to comic shops take place once weekly.

This page (http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=9078) says the almanac is in stores on July 2nd.

jhanic
06-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I'll probably head to my comics store on the 3rd, just to make sure that I get everything in one trip. It's not really that far for me, but... I doubt that the store would get a delivery on a Saturday (the 5th).

John

CyberGhostface
06-30-2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=19068

http://i.newsarama.com/images/TheStand_Interior_Final1.jpg

http://i.newsarama.com/images/TheStand_Interior_Final2.jpg

http://i.newsarama.com/images/TheStand_Interior_Final3.jpg

http://i.newsarama.com/images/TheStand_Interior_Final4.jpg

Daghain
06-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Oooohhhhh, nice!

mia/susannah
06-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Damn, those are great.

wizardsrainbow
06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Wow! I'm impressed. That series is going to be a good one I think.

wizardsrainbow
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I trust the Marvel site to get the Almanac date right...the 2nd of July

ladysai
06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Those are some great-looking sketches...I especially like Larry Underwood.
The artists will do a good job with the rest, from what they've shown so far.
Come on September!
:rock:

Brainslinger
06-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Those pictures are pretty close to how I imagined them, especially Frannie.

I wasn't all that keen on her in the book mind you, but seeing her physically (sort of) shows her in a whole new light somehow. That mischievous smirk maybe.

Nerak
07-01-2008, 05:32 AM
will start my hunt soon, I think...

Aaron
07-01-2008, 06:46 AM
I like the portrayal of Frannie a lot. Molly Ringwald nearly ruined her for me, but this actually looks like the girl I pictured when reading the book.

Everytime I watch the mini-series all I can think is "Fuck if I would risk my life for Molly Ringwald." A girl would need to be 90% less annoying and at least twice as hot.

I am really looking forward to this series. Marvel is beginning to take too much of my money. <_<

Matt
07-01-2008, 07:36 AM
I love Fran in the above sketches too. THAT is how I always imagined her, not Miss Molly

Daghain
07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
I have mine on advance order. :D

wizardsrainbow
07-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Am definitely going to be getting this series. The Stand is one of my favorite King stories.

jhanic
07-01-2008, 12:32 PM
The Stand is also one of my top favorites (actually, I think it is THE top favorite of mine) and that's where my problem lies.

When I read a book, it's as if I'm watching a movie in my head. I have my own ideas on what the characters look like and how they act.

With movies, and now graphic novels, I am not seeing MY characters, but someone else's interpretation of them. Sometimes this is good--The Green Mile comes to mind--but other times there's a definite disconnect.

Again, this is me. I don't EVER mean to be critical of the productions. They just seldom match what I see in my own head.

John

MonteGss
07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
When I read a book, it's as if I'm watching a movie in my head. I have my own ideas on what the characters look like and how they act.

This is how it is for me too. I prefer it that way too. :)

However, I am a little more accepting of other's interpretations in "visual" formats. :)

Míchéal
07-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Shit I've still to get all the Gunslinger Born comics and now this is coming out. Going to have to hit Forbidden Planet in Dublin shorty and get them the ones I'm missing.
Your better off getting them in Sub City as Forbidden Planet is a rip-off and Sub City has old variant covers too. :)

blackrose22
07-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the tip Micheal but where is Sub City as I've never heard of it before?

Míchéal
07-02-2008, 05:04 AM
I don't know the name of the street but if you come on to Grafton st from the Trinity College side and take the first right it's at the end on the left just before you hit Georges st.

wizardsrainbow
07-02-2008, 12:07 PM
The sketch book is available today. My comic store threw it in free with my purchase of the latest Long Road Home installment,

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I thought the sketch book was meant to be free. It is an advert to entice people to buy the series. Just like the DT sketch book.

Bev Vincent
07-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Yeah, it's free. The dealer at the new shop I found today said "Here, take three."

The Mike Perkins variant covers for the first five issues will interconnect to form a panorama of the major characters: Flagg, (Stu, Fran and Harold), Larry, Trashcan Man and (Nick & Tom), which is a neat idea.

mia/susannah
07-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I wish there was a comic store close to me so I could get a copy of the sketchbook. The closest one is a hour and a half away.

Matt
07-03-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm about 3 and a half from the closest one to me. :(

Daghain
07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
You're about a bazillion miles from EVERYTHING. :lol:

jhanic
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I just got my copy. It's great!

John

RUBE
07-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah, it's free. The dealer at the new shop I found today said "Here, take three."

Now I am mad. The comic book store I went to did not mention it and I did not see it displayed either. :angry:

Bev Vincent
07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I asked about it specifically after not seeing it on display

Patrick
07-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Picked it up today. Love the artwork!

Matt, let me know if you need one. ;)

Míchéal
07-11-2008, 08:17 AM
There are NONE in my comic shop...rage

inertia1215
07-11-2008, 08:25 AM
got mine with my set of Long Road Home....its beautiful!

Artwork is incredible and can't wait to get my hands on this one, Marvel is doing a great job so far, I don't mind giving them a bunch of my money!

Brainslinger
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I had one sent to me with the Almanac! I didn't ask for it, I didn't even know it was available free in the UK, so I was nicely surprised.

As I've read The Stand I'm in 2 minds about getting the comics... but this has strongly pulled me into the PRO camp.

Unfound One
07-18-2008, 03:06 PM
This looks pretty freakin' cool... :excited:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Cover of issue 2 here...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37570

CyberGhostface
07-22-2008, 08:07 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/602/stand002covcolco7.jpg THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS #2 (of 5)

In Stores Now!!

Written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Penciled by Mike Perkins

Cover by LEE BERMEJO & LAURA MARTIN

Variant Cover by MIKE PERKINS & LAURA MARTIN

Sketch Variant Cover by LEE BERMEJO

Stephen King's horror epic continues in this issue as the unseen killer, the super-flu Captain Trips, spreads across the entire country, a tide of disease and death. Meanwhile, in Atlanta, in the Center for Disease Control, the US government has taken a keen interest in Stuart Redman, who seems to be the only person immune to the Captain Trips infection. They are determined to find out why--with or without Stu's cooperation. And what do the recurring nightmares Stu's been having--about a dark man with red eyes standing in a cornfield--mean? Plus: Frannie Goldsmith and her father! Larry Underwood in New York!

Click Here to Join the Discussion (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=5268)

CyberGhostface
07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Aint It Cool News has delivered the first interior art from The Stand, with more to follow.

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/StandComicTripsBig.jpg

:scared:

Mark
07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
That is disgusting... I can't wait for this now.

jayson
07-22-2008, 12:35 PM
gruesome. very cool

Brainslinger
07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
More snot than I would have expected even from Captain Trips, but certainly effective. And wonderful art, even if a horrific subject matter.

Brainslinger
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Wonderful.

From the sketchbook, I thought each cover would show a different character, part of one large picture that can be seen when laying them side by side.

I guess that must be variants.

mia/susannah
07-22-2008, 12:49 PM
That is great artwork. I cannot wait to see more of it

Unfound One
07-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Wow wow wow wow!

RUBE
07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I need the throw-up smiley back after seeing that.

Brainslinger
07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I need the throw-up smiley back after seeing that.

I like the stringy bits. :beat:

CyberGhostface
07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah, those are the variants. Which is a shame, because I like the variants better, at least with the first one.

CyberGhostface
07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37586

Quint: I think Jae Lee and Richard Isanove have set the bar pretty high for Stephen King retold within Marvel's pages. You obviously will need to give The Stand it's own distinct universe, a unique feel. What are you doing in order to achieve that?

Mike Perkins: I totally agree with you in regards to the amazing work that Jae Lee and Richard Isanove have been doing - it's truly gorgeous. The Stand, as opposed to the universe of The Dark Tower, is firmly set within the environs of the real world. Scarily so, when you consider the aspect of the superflu - Captain Trips - that rips across the world portrayed in the novel. We're going to see a lot of familiar environs within the comic and I've been taking photos so that I can get that reality spot-on. I'm going to be really playing around with the mannerisms of the highly individual characters too, so that they feel and react like anyone you meet in the street...with certain exceptions, of course. This is a Stephen King story!

Quint: The Stand is a dark tale. How dark are you prepared to go with your art?

Mike Perkins: As dark as the book goes to a certain extent. Sometimes there are situations that work better when the readers imagine them themselves, of course, but the novel is an incredibly atmospheric piece of literature and it's a true challenge to bring that atmosphere to the illustrated page. A challenge I relish.

Quint: Who is your favorite character, both in terms of King's original work and in your own character design?

Mike Perkins: I think both Randall Flagg and Trashcan Man are the most fun to play around with and in a way they encompass both ends of the spectrum visually. The Walking Dude should be a force of nature and played subtly - in shadow - the thing you fear in the dark. Trashy, on the other hand, is entirely twisted - a pyromaniac who likes getting a little too close to the fire. His deterioration is going to be weirdly fun to draw!

Quint: How far along are you at the moment? How expansive is the project (how many issues?) Are you just beginning to climb this mountain?

Mike Perkins: I'm working through issue two at the moment and the plan is for thirty issues separated into six five-issue arcs. I've just begun a brisk, invigorating hike at the moment - the mountain looms and I'm eager to conquer it!

Quint: Will there be any easter eggs for us Dark Tower fanboys?

Mike Perkins: Well, Randall Flagg - or at least the personification of The Walking Dude - plays an integral part within both epics...as he does through a fair few of Mr. King's novels. I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest for all sorts of fanboys.

Quint: What is your favorite sequence you've done so far?

Mike Perkins: I enjoyed the opening sequence as it came out onto the page fittingly oppressive - taking into account the approaching storm. I also enjoyed, rather worryingly, unleashing the first flu victim upon the world. It's incredibly graphic and rather disgusting! Lovely stuff!

Quint: Have you spoken with King about this project? If so, what was that meeting like? Did he steer you in any particular direction?

Mike Perkins: The editorial office of Ralph Macchio, Bill Rosemann and Lauren Sankovitch already have a working relationship with Mr. King - so they deal with him directly. He approved the character studies without any problems ( I've been following the descriptions throughout the novel extremely closely) and he let me know that the character study of Frannie was exactly how he envisioned her when he first started The Stand. That, for me, was highly complimentary.

Quint: As someone who collect comic art, the most important question I have is if you will offer people who have interviewed you via email a steep discount on one of your Stand pages. I only ask the important things, afterall...

Mike Perkins: Hah! That would be something you'd have to approach my art dealer about at www.comicbookartgallery.com!

Quint: Is there another property you'd love to try to tackle?

Mike Perkins: Well, I'm going to be quite busy for the next few years so that may be best to ask at a later date!

jhanic
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
A very interesting interview. I'm starting to get a little excited about this!

John

CyberGhostface
07-24-2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/37608?q=node/37608

Quint: The Stand is one of my all time favorite books. It's one I genuinely believe will be taught to future generations. It's populist, but there's also some real artistry there in how King layers the characters, sets a world and makes it so damn easy to follow even though it's, like, 4,000 pages long. How are you approaching the material, what's your main goal as a writer for this series at Marvel?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: Well, first of all, The Stand is one of my favorite novels, too; that’s why I signed-on for the long haul. Along with The Great Gatsby, Heart of Darkness, and Dracula, it’s one of the few novels I’ve read more than once. (And I get more out of it each time I re-read it.) And, like you, I believe its themes and its scope make it one for the ages, as they like to say. Also, it’s just a brilliant, gripping story that works beautifully as pure entertainment. Honoring that, first and foremost, is my main goal. I want this series to be a great read. I want people who have never encountered The Stand before to get a sense of how truly epic it is; and, fingers crossed, thirty issues will let us do that (hopefully). I want people who, like me, have read the novel to experience it in a new, fresh, literate—but also (obviously) visual—way. I want it to be a page-turner with surprising depth, complexity, and heart. Ambitious enough, do you think?

Quint: One of the stand-out attributes of the book is King's character economy. Since you're working in a more visual medium, does that make it harder or easier for you to tell this story?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: When I re-read The Stand, what struck me most—even more than the sheer ambition and the profound horror and surprising hope of it—were the characters. How multi-layered they were. How much I liked them. How much they terrified me. How much I felt for them. And that, of course, is due to Stephen King’s inherent genius; his ability to draw and develop characters quickly and deeply. But also, frankly, of the time and room he allows for these characters to, quite simply, live, especially in the expanded edition of The Stand. The series will have great action set-pieces, no question (like Larry’s journey through the corpse-choked Lincoln Tunnel), but I also want to capture as many of the quieter “character moments” as I possibly can. Luckily, penciller Mike Perkins is not only a master of action and movement, but of emotion and nuance. His faces and gestures are worth a thousand words.

Quint: Are you taking any liberties? I don't mean that in an accusatory way. I assume you're going to be faithful, but the question is what new angle is being brought to the table for this series?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: Truly, my only agenda is to be as faithful as possible; to that end, I’m taking as few liberties as I can. Of course, consciously or subconsciously, you skew a certain way; it’s inevitable. But right now, I’m trying to pack as much of the novel’s essence in the adaptation as is humanly possible. I start with what speaks to me most directly—what elements I find the most gripping as a reader and as a fan of the novel—and work outwards from there. I identify what elements/scenes/whatever are the most immediate and visual and fight to include them. If something isn’t essential to the present action, but resonates for another reason—like the scene between Frannie and her mother, in that creepy parlor—I fight to include that. Ultimately, not everything will make into the adaptation—that’s impossible—but so far, so good. Nothing compromised.

Quint: Have you gotten to work with King at all? If so, how was that process, besides mind-numbingly terrifying?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: I have not yet had any direct contact with the King yet, but soon, I’m hoping. (And God knows, if I don’t get a Christmas card this December postmarked Bangor, Maine, it’s gonna get really ugly, really fast…) I do know that he’s been thrilled with what we’ve turned in so far, which helps with the mind-numbing terror, though I don’t expect that will ever go away completely—nor should it.

Quint: So far who is your favorite character to write for?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: Larry Underwood and Frannie Goldsmith. Larry, ‘cause he’s such a train wreck; he’s so wonderfully, fallibly human. (There’s a little bit of Larry in each of us, I think.) And Frannie ‘cause she’s so darn pretty and spunky. And they’re both so relatable.

Quint: Mike Perkins' work looks pretty great so far. How is that collaboration? Have you been happy with the art so far?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: Mike’s a complete professional, and The Stand—and I think he’ll agree with me on this point—is the work of his career. His storytelling is impeccable; he’s great with action as well as with the subtler character moments; truly, there isn’t an emotion he can’t capture. So, yeah, basically…he’s the perfect man for this job.

Quint: Has there been a sequence that has visually turned out better than you thought?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: I have to say, I think our first issue really hits it out of the park. For instance, Mike did a superb job with the sequence in which Charlie Campion crashes his car in front of the Texaco station where Stu’s gabbing with his friends. (It sounds simple—a car, in the distance, getting closer—but believe me, it’s hard to capture that in a dynamic or lyrical way, that Mike does.) Which reminds me: Also in that sequence, Mike really pushed for an extra page because he wanted a true moment of horror, a splash that would’ve made even Graham “Ghastly” Ingles (the infamous EC comic horror artist) avert his eyes. We got the page—thank you, Powers That Be at Marvel—and it makes the issue. (You’ll know what I’m talking about when you see it…) The proverbial “water cooler” panel…

Quint: Have you written out the entire run at this point or are you still hard at work?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: I’m still very much at work, burning the candle at both ends while finishing up my first (but hopefully not last) tour of duty on the HBO show Big Love. I started by beating out a detailed outline of each issue, which helps, and which is making things go a little faster at this point, but I truly feel like our journey is still only beginning. (And, you know, things change as you go along. You realize you’re emphasizing one character over another, for instance, and you adjust, etc.)

Quint: If you have finished writing are you still involved on a creative level as the pages come in or are you off to the next thing?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: Like I said, I’m still very much in the thick of writing, so that’s my primary focus, but on any given day, I help spitball ideas for covers, I hone dialogue every step of the way, I basically…help out wherever I can. I want this—and every member of the creative team wants this to be—a homerun. Nothing less is acceptable.

Quint: What's up next for you?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: As soon as The Stand is up and running in earnest, I’ve got two quirky miniseries already plotted that I’m burning to script. And Angel: Revelations, my series with Adam Polina, is coming out right now, as well.

Also included was the first three pages of The Stand in PDF form.

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/StandPreview.pdf

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/CyberGhostfaceScans/standp1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/CyberGhostfaceScans/standp2.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/CyberGhostfaceScans/standp3.jpg

jhanic
07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
That's a nice surprise!

John

jhanic
07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
That's a nice surprise!

John

gsvec
07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
:excited: But we have to wait 'til September? :angry:

Tiffany
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme.... :drool:

Brainslinger
07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Nice surprise indeed.

I noticed a spelling mistake on the last page panel 3 though. Hee, hee.

The Lady of Shadows
07-24-2008, 06:00 PM
wow. isn't this one supposed to focus more on them as they journey to arnette?

:thumbsup:

gsvec
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Nice surprise indeed.

I noticed a spelling mistake on the last page panel 3 though. Hee, hee.

You're right, Brain! I didn't even notice that the 'd' was left off - nice catch! Wonder if it'll be fixed on the final version . . .

ladysai
07-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Awesome start!
Thanks for the update, Cyber.

Fathers Face
07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Good the movie sucked hopefully the comic ( sorry the Graphic Novel ) will do a better job.

Míchéal
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Fantastic.

Brainslinger
07-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Good the movie sucked hopefully the comic ( sorry the Graphic Novel ) will do a better job.

'Comic' is accurate on a per issue basis. (I noticed they use the term 'Graphic Novels' for each of the Heroes comics online, which isn't correct. It's as if people are worried it'll be associated with kids stuff maybe.) The arc collections would be GNs certainly.

Erin
07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Ewwwwww!

It's perfect!

LiveTransmission
07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Very Cool!

I also picked up the preview sketchbook at the store a couple of weeks ago and I'm very excited.

Jon
07-30-2008, 11:50 PM
MORE!!!!

LadyHitchhiker
08-01-2008, 07:51 AM
I love the stand... I am very excited about seeing it in comic book form...

herbertwest
08-04-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4432

Brainslinger
08-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Hee hee! Sounds like that guy could do with a throat lozenge.

bluelph24
08-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Do any of you suppose that this series will have extras in the back of the comics similar to the DT comics? Cause if there arn't extras, i'll just wait for the hardcovers or TPBs. The only reason i don't do that for the DT ones is all the goodies in each issue

The Lady of Shadows
08-15-2008, 09:47 PM
[off topic]

bluelph24 - your pennywise banner kicks major ass!!!!!!! :scared:

[/off topic]

CyberGhostface
08-19-2008, 08:16 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/stand003_cov.jpgTHE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS #3

In Stores Now!!

Penciled by MIKE PERKINS

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

Sketch Variant by LEE BERMEJO

Ever-evolving and ever-deadly, the superflu "Captain Trips" continues to spread across the country, affecting even such far-flung lost souls as Larry Underwood in New York and Frannie Goldsmith in Maine. As rumors about chemical warfare and bubonic plague start seeping into the media, the actions of the American government begin to devolve, legal systems local and global start to break down, and two reckless outlaws--Lloyd Henreid and Poke Freeman--decide to take advantage of the situation, cutting a path of destruction through the American southwest. It's murder and mayhem, Stephen King-style, in the third chapter of this epic struggle between good and evil!

Click Here to Join the Discussion (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4101)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/stand002thumb.jpg (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=5268)Click Here to View the Discussion for Captain Trips #2 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=5268)
Stephen King's horror epic continues in this issue as the unseen killer, the super-flu Captain Trips, spreads across the entire country, a tide of disease and death. Meanwhile, in Atlanta, in the Center for Disease Control, the US government has taken a keen interest in Stuart Redman, who seems to be the only person immune to the Captain Trips infection. They are determined to find out why--with or without Stu's cooperation. And what do the recurring nightmares Stu's been having--about a dark man with red eyes standing in a cornfield--mean? Plus: Frannie Goldsmith and her father! Larry Underwood in New York!

sarah
08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
ooooo super neat. thanks for the post.

CyberGhostface
08-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Meh, I've never cared for these type of trailers...

Brainslinger
08-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Very nice. Great art.

Brainslinger
08-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Do any of you suppose that this series will have extras in the back of the comics similar to the DT comics? Cause if there arn't extras, i'll just wait for the hardcovers or TPBs. The only reason i don't do that for the DT ones is all the goodies in each issue

Yeah. Think I might do the same. I don't know if there are extras or not, but I imagine there'll be a review on Liljas's site. (http://www.liljas-library.com/) If extras are mentioned there, then I might go the individual issue route although I'm undecided yet whether or not to go for this at all yet. Part of me would rather just stick with the novel.

Gorgeous art is a bit of an arm twister though.

bluelph24
08-19-2008, 05:10 PM

Yeah. Think I might do the same. I don't know if there are extras or not, but I imagine there'll be a review on Liljas's site. (http://www.liljas-library.com/) If extras are mentioned there, then I might go the individual issue route although I'm undecided yet whether or not to go for this at all yet. Part of me would rather just stick with the novel.

Gorgeous art is a bit of an arm twister though.

yeah. When i go to pick up treachery 1 (cause Stand 1 and Treachery 1 come out on the same day) i'll check out the stand, leaf through it and see if there are any goodies. I'll certainly post here if there are.

Brainslinger
08-26-2008, 04:19 PM
A couple more pages from Captain Trips issue 1 here. (http://www.liljas-library.com/)

Hornet of Death
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Man, a Stand comic book? Awesome.

That happens when you got noone to talk about King and the Tower for over a year.

It's good to be back at such a community.

I want this comic.:excited:

CyberGhostface
09-02-2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.marvel.com/comics/The_Stand

Not much here that we haven't seen already, but there's an article called "The Flagg Chronicles" and a wallpaper showing a certain lovable R.F.

I like how they call Flagg Stephen King's Doctor Doom. Given King's current stance on the character, you'd think that they'd say he was Stephen King's Mole Man. :D

bangoskank1
09-12-2008, 04:00 PM
There may a thread started on this but I didn't find it so I'll start one in case....It's out....I love it...any thoughts????Discuss...

Daghain
09-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Yep, there is one. I'll merge it for you. :)

Mine's in the mail so I'll have to wait to give my opinion. :)

John Blaze
09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Jeez, more variants! I guess I'll have to get them too!

John

Me too, but this time I'm gonna wait until the crazy flurry dies down. I bought my first 3 for WAAAAY more than they're worth now, because I got caught up in the craziness of the beginning.

Ruthful
09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
The guy at Comic Galaxy roped me in to buying this-something I worried about once I started reading The Gunslinger Born, to be honest-but I ended up enjoying it, notwithstanding the lack of connection to Stephen King.

Now it looks like I'll have to spend an extra eight dollars every month.

:panic:

Heather19
09-16-2008, 03:29 PM

did you order yours online somewhere? I'm wondering if I should just wait till the hardcover eventually comes out, because every place I've seen it for is for more money that I'd like to spend when you add in the shipping. However, I don't know if I can wait that long.

Jackie
09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
I got it the day after it came out. It was really good, although i must amit i was a bit disapointed that it basily just showed what happend in the begining of the movie and that Flagg wasn't in it yet. I look forward to the next instalment[s] though.

Daghain
09-16-2008, 06:53 PM

did you order yours online somewhere? I'm wondering if I should just wait till the hardcover eventually comes out, because every place I've seen it for is for more money that I'd like to spend when you add in the shipping. However, I don't know if I can wait that long.

Thank you for giving me yet another chance to whore out my online comic guy:

www.g-mart.com

Duck is AWESOME. You can set up an advance order and he'll just charge and ship as they come. He bags and boards them all and I have NEVER had a single problem with him.

Also, when I first found him, he saw I was ordering the first series individually and offered to set me up a subscription. The customer service is A++++

I usually get the hardcover from Amazon. If you preorder it's pretty cheap. And, the Overlook has had slip covers for the sets so far - apparently they have one for The Stand as well, but he has no artwork as yet, so I'm holding out on that. He ships slow as hell, though. Just FYI.

Old Man Splitfoot
09-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I totally spaced getting the comic shop to add this to my pull list, so I'm gonna have to make a point of scraping up some cash for a comic run sometime soon. Though the comic shop guy does randomly throw in all the Wolverine minis and one shots, not to mention spin off X-Men books, since I have Wolvie's two ongoings and most of the X-Titles on hold, so maybe he'll just put two and two together on this one.

Patrick
09-19-2008, 10:25 PM
I loved this issue. The artwork, the narration, everything. I haven't read the book in years and I never watched the miniseries, so it really took me back. :thumbsup:

Brainslinger
09-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Does it have anything in way of extras? Apart from page sketches, I mean.

Daghain
09-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I got mine but have yet to read it. :panic:

flea
09-20-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't know the name of the street but if you come on to Grafton st from the Trinity College side and take the first right it's at the end on the left just before you hit Georges st.

by any chance have you remembered the street name?

herbertwest
09-20-2008, 01:35 PM
more covers are now available on the official Marvel page...

Daghain
09-21-2008, 07:26 PM
I have to agree with Patrick on this one. I think this is going to turn out to be a really good series.

Patrick
09-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I have to agree with Daghain agreeing with me...wait...what?

Does it have anything in way of extras? Apart from page sketches, I mean.Nope. Just the couple of sketch pages.

Daghain
09-21-2008, 08:22 PM
It's shaping up to be really good, though. :)

Matt
09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I really enjoyed the issue, not too much to it but the captured the "feel" of the beginning of the book with no problem.

Rjeso
09-22-2008, 11:40 AM
It did. I also enjoyed how Larry looked EXACTLY how I thought he would. :D

Daghain
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, the did a really good job with the characters, for sure.

Jon
09-22-2008, 09:13 PM
damn... how did I miss this?

I have to come out of the sheep pen more often.

Thanks guys!

Daghain
09-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, give the girls a night off, will ya?

You totally need to check this out - it's really good!

Cuthbert Allbad
09-23-2008, 03:47 AM
Not a bad comic. No real surprises. Loved when the one panel mentioned Larry going back to his mother cause he was scared. Shit.....think we've all been in that situation at least once.

That's right....once upon a time the Mighty Cutbert Allbad wanted his mommy. Now excuse me while i wipe my vagine.

Rjeso
09-23-2008, 11:43 AM
>< How would there be any surprises? It's The Stand, in comic form. We all know the story here. Yeah, you know what's going to happen, but *seeing* it happen on the page is way awesome.

jayson
09-23-2008, 12:44 PM
>< How would there be any surprises? It's The Stand, in comic form. We all know the story here. Yeah, you know what's going to happen, but *seeing* it happen on the page is way awesome.

I thought it might be chickenpox this time, but nope, still the flu. :P

Matt
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I think they are doing a great job. The best example would be Stu reaching for that shut off switch at the gas station.

They talked about so much crap during that scene but the whole thing boils down to that moment (even though incineration may have been a good thing for all involved)

It just really captured the scene that took pages to write imo.

jhanic
09-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Bev Vincent just posted on his site the cover for the Second Printing of #1.

John

Patrick
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Larry looks like Springsteen, as he should. :thumbsup:

Matt, I agree completely. That scene was boiled down to its essence - perfectly.

John, that is an awesome cover!

Daghain
09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
I really am amazed how they can take a book as long as The Stand and condense it down as much as they have. I think they did a good job.

Tatts4Life
09-24-2008, 05:31 AM
I still need to pick this up. Along with the New Dark Tower arc that came out.

jayson
09-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Larry looks like Springsteen, as he should. :thumbsup:

Exactly! Comic-book Larry looks like a combination of Springsteen and a young Michael Madsen, which is more or less how I pictured him.

Daghain
09-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Surprisingly, I'd say all the characters look like I'd imagined them. Somebody did their homework!

jayson
09-24-2008, 09:12 AM
I agree Dags. It's refreshing to finally get the images of Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald out of my head for Stu & Frannie. I'll save my hated of the mini-series for other threads, but the depictions in the comic are a lot more along the lines of what I'd pictured whenever I read the novel.

MonteGss
09-26-2008, 08:08 AM
It's refreshing to finally get the images of Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald out of my head for Stu & Frannie.

:lol:
Totally.

I didn't mind the actor for Larry though. *shrugs*
As for his depiction in the comics...yeah, pretty damn good, though I thought he might have longer hair. *shrugs again*

Aaron
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Let's bump this ol' thang right on up.

Patrick
10-12-2008, 05:23 PM
I just read this issue. They're doing a great job. :thumbsup:

Brainslinger
10-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I've kept away from them for the time being. Partly, due to finance, partly cos I've got the book. I also figured I could always get the GN if I changed my mind.

I'm still sorely tempted though, the art look amazing.

Just out of interest though, how are the extras shaping up? I get the impression it's mostly sketches, that sort of thing.

Daghain
10-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Damnit, mine's probably going to show up while I'm in Vegas. I'll have to wait to read it. GRRRR.

Patrick
10-13-2008, 09:54 PM
... Just out of interest though, how are the extras shaping up? I get the impression it's mostly sketches, that sort of thing.Not much in the way of extras, a few sketches, an interview or two. But the everything about this presentation of the story itself is worth the cover price.

Daghain
10-13-2008, 09:57 PM
:thumbsup:

What Patrick said. The artwork is amazing.

LadyHitchhiker
10-14-2008, 04:41 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stoked... I loved the first comic!!!!!

Brainslinger
10-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Preview images:

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/stand3_preview1.jpg
http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/stand3_preview2.jpg
http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/stand3_preview3.jpg

Daghain
11-27-2008, 02:08 PM
This was a pretty good issue. I thought it did a good job advancing the storylines and as always the artwork is very cool. :D

Brainslinger
11-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Does it compare well with the book?

Daghain
11-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I think so. It's doing a pretty good job of telling a huge story in comic format. And the artwork is really good. :)

Aaron
12-10-2008, 08:44 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/615/medium/AmNight4Regular.jpg

The STAND:
AMERICAN NIGHTMARES # 4

FIRST PRINTING

COVER BY: LEE BERMEJO

ART: MIKE PERKINS
WRITER: ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
PENCILS: MIKE PERKINS
INKS: MIKE PERKINS
COLORED BY: LAURA MARTIN
LETTERED BY: CHRIS ELIOPOULOS
CREATIVE DIRECTOR & EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: STEPHEN KING

THE STORY:
The penultimate chapter of the second volume based on Stephen King's horror epic! The survivors of the Captain Trips plague have started to team-up. Stu Redman and Glen Bateman trade origin stories--and horror stories about their mutual nightmares--while Randall Flagg sets out to recruit his first soldier in the ultimate battle between Good and Evil: Lloyd Henreid. But will the starving madman accept the dark man's offer? And either way, will he or his soul survive?

CARDSTOCK COVER/Parental Advisory

ORIGINAL PRICE: 3.99
IN STORES: July 8, 2009

Comic Content
Comic Story
Color Commentary Essay ( on digital coloring of comics )
Mike Perkins Black and White Line Art for Variant Cover
The Stand Issue 5 Preview

Copyright : Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (http://www.marvel.com)
Copyright : Stephen King (http://www.stephenking.com)
This comic series is produced under license from The Doubleday Broadway Publishing Group and Stephen King. All Rights Reserved.

Interior Artwork As It Appears In –
The STAND: AMERICAN NIGHTMARES
Issue 4

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/635/medium/AmNight4-1.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/635/medium/AmNight4-2.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/635/medium/AmNight4-3.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/635/medium/AmNight4-4.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/635/medium/AmNight4-5.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/635/medium/AmNight4-6.jpg

Copyright : Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (http://www.marvel.com)
Copyright : Stephen King (http://www.stephenking.com)
All Rights Reserved.

Daghain
12-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Ooh, I like the cover art!

turtlex
12-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Lee's covers are just so fantastically detailed and just so.... YEAH!

It's like those jeans, you can feel the material !

Still Servant
12-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Why is it coming out Jan. 2nd?

I thought it was supposed to come out last Wednesday?

Daghain
12-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe everyone is taking a holiday break?

jhanic
12-12-2008, 05:57 AM
According to Lilja's site (www.liljas-library.com) it's due December 17.

John

Aaron
12-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Hmm...the date I got (Jan. 2nd) was from Marvel.Com. Same with Treachery #4 coming out Dec. 24th.

EDIT: I just double-checked on Marvel's site and it will, indeed, be released on January 2nd. Lilja must have some bad info.

jhanic
12-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Correction noted. Thanks very much!

John

gsvec
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/6397new_storyimage9125390.jpg

THE STAND: AMERICAN NIGHTMARES #1 (of 5)

Art & Cover by MIKE PERKINS

Variant Cover by LEE BERMEJO

Sketch Variant Cover by MIKE PERKINS

The second arc begins! The deadly super flu Captain Trips has devastated the country and now the few survivors must pick up the pieces and go on. Larry Underwood seeks escape from New York City. Lloyd contemplates an extremely unsavory dinner option in jail, and Stu Redman makes a desperate bid for freedom from his interrogators. Most ominous of all, the stange being called Randall Flagg continues his dread journey across the devastated landscape of America. You must not miss it!
32 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99

turtlex
12-16-2008, 03:58 AM
My comic guy better be sending Sai King a "thank you" card for all the purchases I'm making :D

Aaron
12-29-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/stand005cov.jpg THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS #5

In Stores Jan. 28th!!

Penciled by MIKE PERKINS

Cover by LEE BERMEJO

The violently contagious superflu Captain Trips has now encompassed the entire country in its deadly embrace and there’s no turning back. America is rapidly becoming a country of the sick...the dead...the damned. Against that ever-darkening backdrop, Randall Flagg, the Walking Dude, the Dark Man, at long last saunters into this, the climactic chapter of the first volume of Marvel's acclaimed adaptation of Stephen King's horror classic. Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

Aaron
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I had to delete the original and restart this thread due to formatting issues. The image and info was provided by CyberGhostFace.

gsvec
12-29-2008, 12:22 PM
LOVE that cover!!

Daghain
12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
That cover is freaky as hell. :D

turtlex
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Bremejo is just amazing.
The detail, etc.

Aaron
01-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I read this today and I am liking this adaptation more and more. They seem to really be catching the right vibe. I especially liked the little cameo (if you can call it that) that one of this website's friends made in the second panel of page ten. Very cool shout out to King fans. :thumbsup:

Patrick
01-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Hey Aaron, how did you get the issue early? I didn't get it until today - it's release date.

MonteGss
01-03-2009, 10:02 AM
It's a little strange having a Friday release date, isn't it? My comic store thought so anyway...
I do hope they go back to releasing TDT and Stand on the same day of the month again, that was very nice.

I won't pick this one up until the 14th, when Locke & Key is released. :D Save me a trip.

Aaron
01-04-2009, 08:11 AM
The release date was the 2nd, Patrick. I got it then. And everyone must remember to get issue five, which will be released January 28th.

And Monte...according to my sources, Locke & Key won't be available in stores until the 28th. :(

MonteGss
01-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Joe's website says the 14th.
*shrugs*

I would prefer the 28th though, since that is when The Stand #5 will be released. Maybe TDT will be the same day as well. :D

Aaron
01-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Well now I'm not so sure. I know that I got that date somewhere--I posted about it in another thread--but now I can't find the info at all. I could have sworn I got it from the IDW site. But I would be fine with it coming out on the 14th. The sooner the better and all. :D

And Treachery #5 is, indeed, being released on 01/28, so that is going be a big happy fun day at my house. Lots to read. :rock:

MonteGss
01-04-2009, 08:33 AM
:excited:
:cool:

Patrick
01-05-2009, 12:16 AM
The release date was the 2nd, Patrick. I got it then. ...
Now that I look back at your original post, I see that. I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I posted. :doh:

Looking forward to the 28th!

turtlex
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
From Marvel's Website :

Marvel Announces Details on The Stand HC

Marvel announces that THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS hardcover will be released exclusively to comic shops.

Marvel is proud to announce the highly-anticipated THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS PREMIERE HARDCOVER, collecting the first critically-acclaimed graphic fiction adaptation of Stephen King's seminal novel, will be released exclusively to direct market retailers on March 11. This hardcover collects the entire THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS limited series by the superstar creative team of writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (SECRET INVASION: FANTASTIC FOUR, ANGEL: REVELATIONS),Eisner-nominated artist Mike Perkins (CAPTAIN AMERICA, HOUSE OF M: AVENGERS) and Eisner-winning colorist Laura Martin (ASTONISHING X-MEN) with two stunning covers—one by the red-hot Lee Bermejo and a limited edition gatefold cover by Perkins. King fans should know that both editions are available only in comic shops across the country, and through online comics and collected editions sellers.

In the tradition of Civil War and Secret Invasion, THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS PREMIERE HC will debut amid a flurry of mainstream and hobby market press, with Marvel providing retailers an array of complimentary promotional tools.

"Marvel is excited to present this unique opportunity to our partners in the direct market who've helped make The Stand such a success," explained David Gabriel, Marvel Senior Vice President of Sales. "We appreciate their overwhelming support for The Stand: Captain Trips and want to thank them with the option of either the regular cover or the limited edition gatefold cover."

It all begins here: the epic apocalyptic battle between good and evil. On a secret army base in the Californian desert, something has gone horribly, terribly wrong. Something will send Charlie Campion, his wife and daughter fleeing in the middle of the night. Unfortunately for the Campion family, and the rest of America, they are unaware that all three of them are carrying a deadly cargo: a virus that will spread from person to person like wildfire, triggering a massive wave of disease and death, prefacing humanity's last stand. Don't miss the beginning of this epic story in THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS PREMIERE HC!

THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS PREMIERE HC will be available nationwide on March 11 at comic shops and online comics retailers.

Published by arrangement with The Doubleday Broadway Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc. This graphic novel is produced under license from The Doubleday Broadway Publishing Group and Stephen King.

THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS PREMIERE HC ( DEC082308 )
THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS PREMIERE HC LIMITED EDITION VARIANT ( DEC082309 )
Penciled by MIKE PERKINS
Covers by MIKE PERKINS & LEE BERMEJO
Parental Advisory SLC …$24.99

LadyHitchhiker
01-17-2009, 07:00 PM
:wub: I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam
01-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I will NOT be buying this. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that Marvel can (and does) put twelve issues of a book into a hardcover and charges $29.99 for it, then they turn around and do something like The Stand or TDT and put SIX issues to a hardcover and charge $24.99. They way I see it they're just screwing over the fans. Why not wait a little while and release 12 issues or two storylines together? Or better yet, why not charge a little less for the damn hardcover? Is $19.99 so low as to start hitting the production costs?

turtlex
01-18-2009, 02:37 AM
I will probably pick this up, if I can get it at a discount from my comics place.

Given that Marvel released 4 different covers of LRH, I was surprised they are going Comic Shop exclusive with this title... and only two different covers.

Brice
01-18-2009, 03:36 AM
I will probably pick this up, if I can get it at a discount from my comics place.

Given that Marvel released 4 different covers of LRH, I was surprised they are going Comic Shop exclusive with this title... and only two different covers.

I'm surprised by that also.

...and Pam, you're gonna' pick this up somewhere no matter what, and you know it. :lol:

turtlex
01-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Yeah, yeah, you're totally right. :blush:

I will get at least one of each cover. Marvel sees me coming.... I help keep them in business!

jhanic
01-18-2009, 04:52 AM
I'll also be getting one of each cover.

John

MonteGss
01-18-2009, 08:09 AM
I will be getting one, without a doubt.

Aaron
01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Not even a question...:drool:

Heather19
01-18-2009, 10:20 AM
This might be a silly question, but are they going to release a hardcover version that's available at other places aside from comic book stores. I have no idea where there are any in my area.

Sam
01-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Heather, if you want I'll pick up a copy for you. You'll just have to pay for the book and postage to your house from Waxhaw, NC.

Daghain
01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
My online guy has a store presence, I think, so maybe I'll pick this up.

I do kind of agree with Sam on this one, though.

turtlex
01-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Heather - Looks like comic shops only... brick and mortar and online.

Aaron
01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Just buy one on eBay; you'll likely get the best price there.

Heather19
01-18-2009, 01:10 PM
That's true, maybe I'll try that.
Thanks for the offer though Sam, if I can't find it elsewhere I'll let you know.